Wellesley College.

Report of the President (Volume 43:5) online

. (page 3 of 6)
Online LibraryWellesley CollegeReport of the President (Volume 43:5) → online text (page 3 of 6)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


proportionate to income and interest, as well as of special gifts
and bequests. Part of the success of the undertaking is revealed
in the reports of the Treasurer. In round figures, over two
and one quarter million dollars were received in the three year
period, of which approximately $1,600,000 came through gifts
and $650,000 through bequests.* The largest total figure for the
period, over $710,000, was designated for scholarships (pri-
marily because of a bequest in memory of Anna ^I. and Alice
H. Hitchcock of $339,796). Almost $620,000 was given with-
out restriction — an invaluable addition to the College's resources
after a period of inflation and deficit, and one of the bases for
the improved salaries and the reduction of the loan. $464,000
was designated and used for the new dormitories. Almost
$90,000 was given for general endowment and $98,000 for
various academic departments, both purposes contributing to
future as well as present strength. Although only $128,000 was
designated directly for salary purposes, the unrestricted giving,
noted above, which ensures flexibility of program, permitted
considerable salary improvement.

Approximately half of the total of gifts and bequests came
from alumnae, half from other friends of the College and par-
ents of students. The role of these friends is of evident signifi-
cance; on their interest and support rests much of Wellesley's
opportunity to serve. The percent of alumnae giving, good
though it is, considering the strains and sacrifices which thou-
sands of alumnae made during the preceding drive era, suggests
the possibility of improvement. In 1950-1951 fifty-eight percent
of the alumnae contributed to Wellesley; in 1951-1952, the
percent was fifty-seven, and in the next year it was sixty percent.
As understanding grows of the continued need to support an

*See pages 51-60 for gifts and bequests of $1000 or more.

22



President's Report

institution that continues to grow, it is hoped that the forty
percent not heard from in 1952-1953 will share in the creative
life of the College.

Meanwhile the College is indebted to the Development
Fund Committee, to alumnae on the Board of the Alumnae
Association and in regional, class, and club activities, and to
more than ten thousand donors. It is indebted for their gifts,
for letters that accompany gifts, and for comments of alumnae
and friends in all parts of the country testifying to their behef
in the value of independent liberal arts education and their
intention to help to maintain Wellesley in freedom and strength.

The Faculty, Administration, and Trustees

Scholarly interests of the faculty are reflected in the lists of
their publications presented in the appendices. Among the
books published by members of the faculty in the past three
years are three volumes issued under the auspices of the Faculty
Publications Committee: Katherine Mansfield by Sylvia Berk-
man, Assistant Professor of English ; Lettres de Germain Vuillart
by Ruth E. Clark, Professor of French; and The Australian Party
System by Louise Overacker, Professor of Political Science.

In addition to assisting occasional publications, the College
has long had a sound sabbatical leave pohcy although many
members of the faculty have not made full use of its provisions,
programs which occasionally permit reduced teaching loads for
limited periods of time while research is in progress, and various
annual appropriations to give small research aids to members
of the faculty. Inflation, however, has seriously curtailed their
usefulness. The Faculty Fellowship of $1500, for example,
the largest special award granted to a member of the faculty,
was intended when established to permit a year's leave for a
junior member not yet eligible for sabbatical leave, but in the
last two years the size was so inadequate that no one applied
for it.

In 1952-1953 a faculty committee was appointed to examine
the problem and to make pertinent recommendations. Their
proposals and the deliberations of the trustees led to a new
Faculty Awards program to take effect in 1953-1954. A fund
of $20,000 was established, expendable as to interest and prin-
cipal, for awards to assist members of the faculty on clearly
defined scholarly projects on the post-doctoral level or its
equivalent. The goal was to provide complete flexibility as to

23



Wellesley College

the type of assistance to be given so that special leaves, travel
grants, reduced teaching schedules, research assistance, or what-
ever other form of aid might be necessary for a particular project
could properly be requested by any member of the faculty in
his second or subsequent year of service.

The hope is that the new fund, named in memory of Helen
Derr Harbison, will grow, and that interested friends of the
College, and trustees as resources permit, will establish similar
funds until a total of $200,000 is available for a strong faculty
awards program. Meanwhile, the trustees planned to appro-
priate another $20,000 in 1953-1954 for awards funds and to
provide when possible that specific awards be made from gen-
eral funds, in order that the special funds may accumulate until
they reach a permanently effective size. Gifts and financial con-
ditions in the future will determine whether this will be possible.
Further to assist scholarly research, the faculty established on
an experimental basis a committee of its members to assemble
and disseminate information concerning grants offered by na-
tional organizations for which members of the faculty would
be eligible.

The Mary Whiton Calkins Visiting Professorship, estab-
lished by the alumnae and formally transferred to the College
in 1950, was held in 1950-1951 by Mrs. Dorothy M. Stone,
Visiting Professor of Mathematics, and in 1951-1952 by Dr.
Julian Marias, Visiting Professor of Spanish. Plans for a visit-
ing professor in 1952-1953 were not consummated; the depart-
ment of English, however, benefited greatly from a Writer in
Residence, Miss Jessamyn West, who spent one month at Wel-
lesley in the spring of 1953.

Changes in the faculty during the three year period have
followed the customary pattern of loss through retirement and
occasional resignation, and of considerable rotation among
junior members. There were no retirements in 1951, but the
death of Margaret T. Parker, Professor of Geology and Geogra-
phy, took from the College a brilliant teacher and devoted
colleague. In this same year John Pilley, Associate Professor
of Education, resigned to become Professor of Education at the
University of Edinburgh.

In 1952 seven members of the faculty were retired with
the title Emeritus: Ruth E. Clark, Professor of French, and How-
ard E. Pulling, Professor of Botany, each after thirty-three years of
service; Thomas Hayes Procter, Professor of Philosophy, after

24



President's Report

twenty-eight years of service; Mary B. Treudley, Professor of
Sociology, after twenty-three years of service; Gabriella Bosano,
Professor of Italian, after twenty-two years of service;- Hedwig
Kohn, Professor of Physics, after ten years of service; and
Grace E. Howard, Associate Professor of Botany, after twenty-
eight years of service. Four long-time members of the admin-
istrative group also retired: Florence I. Tucker, Purveyor, after
forty-two years of service; Essie May Decker, Comptroller, after
thirty-eight years of service; Grace E. Arthur, Secretary to the
President, after thirty-seven years of service; Eunice Lathrope,
Cataloguer of Rare Books, after thirty-three years of service;
Constance C. Covey, Executive Secretary to the Development
Fund Committee, after sixteen years of service. Ruth H. Lind-
say, Associate Professor of Botany and Dean of Residence since
1944, resigned after twenty-three years at Wellesley, and two
Heads of House retired, Mrs. Mary Lord Harlow and Miss
Ellen B. McKey.

In 1953 three members of the faculty were retired with the
title Emeritus: Louise Pettibone Smith, Professor of Biblical His-
tory, after thirty-eight years of service; Marianne Thalmann,
Professor of German, after twenty years of service; Jeannette B.
Lane, Associate Professor of Speech, after seventeen years of serv-
ice. Two long-time members of the faculty resigned, Frangoise
Ruet Livingston, Professor of French, to be with her husband,
and Alice H. Armstrong, Professor of Physics, to devote herself
to research at Los Alamos. Florence L. King, Librarian since
1949, resigned, and Helen M. Laws, Head Cataloguer in the
Library, retired after thirty-seven years of service. One Head
of House retired, Mrs. Frances May Beggs, after twelve years
at Wellesley during which time she also served first as Assistant
to the President and then as Chairman of Special Functions.

It is impossible here to indicate the debt of the College
to every one of the people mentioned above; their lasting im-
pressions on students and their contributions to the develop-
ment of Wellesley are part of its strength and its record of
service.

The many administrative retirements noted above necessi-
tated a number of changes. These changes affected the business
offices primarily and were decided after the completion in 1951
of a survey of business operations by the firm of Cresap, Mc-
Cormick, and Paget. In 1952 Mr. Irwin K. French, formerly
Business Manager of Middlebury College, came to Wellesley

25



Wellesley College

as Business Manager. Responsibility was centered in his office
for care of buildings and grounds, food service, budget, fiscal,
and purchasing controls, and non-faculty personnel policies.
Five administrative officers work closely with him. Mr. Donald
"W. Height, formerly Assistant Treasurer and Business Manager,
became Assistant Treasurer and Controller, so centering fiscal
controls. Mr. Frederick J. Holm, Superintendent of Buildings
and Grounds since 1949, resigned, and in January 1953 Mr.
John Kreinheder came from Middlebury College to take his
place. With the retirement of the Purveyor, Miss Maerice E,
Capen, the Executive Dietitian, added the Purveyor's duties to
her former ones, and also food service for the Infirmary, and the
direction of student dining halls as well as kitchens, thus pro-
viding single control from the purchase to the consumption of
food. Throughout the period Mrs. Mary Ellen Ames gave ex-
cellent direction to the Personnel Office and Mr. Philip V. Burt
handled purchasing, except of foodstuffs, with a maximum of
attention to the needs and interests of the academic departments.

The results to date of the organizational changes have been
excellent; administrative staff has been reduced as much as
possible; administrative clarity and ease of operation have been
increased. Special mention should be made of the rapidity with
which Mr. French became acquainted with the campus commu-
nity and the needs of the College, and of the friendly, very ef-
fective way in which he has promoted its interests.

During this period two other administrative changes oc-
curred. Upon the resignation of Miss Lindsay as Dean of
Residence, the wide variety of duties to which she had fallen
heir and others which had entered the office because of her spe-
cial abilities were sorted and many of them were reallocated.
Those relating to the Chapel were assigned to Miss Carol M.
Roehm, who as Director of Chapel is giving excellent, sustained
support to the Chapel Organization. Those relating to house-
hold responsibilities in the dormitories and other business func-
tions in the residence halls were transferred to the business
offices of the College. Routines concerning rentals of faculty
housing were placed in the office of the Business Manager and
plans were established whereby policy to guide in the allocation
of faculty housing would be made by a faculty committee.
Stripped of many extraneous duties, and placed under the aegis
of the Dean of Students, the Residence Office is in a position
to give more attention to the residential and extracurricular

26



President's Report

needs and interests of students. Mrs. Marion G. Cotton, ap-
pointed Director of Residence in July 1952, took over at once
the rooming of students, chairing the Heads of House Council,
and planning various college entertainments.

In 1952 Miss Margery S. Foster, who had been Director of
the Development Fund Office, was appointed an Administrative
Representative with duties relating to alumnae, fund, admissions,
and general public relations interests which have taken her to
all parts of the country in the last two years. On the retirement
of Mrs. Covey, Miss EHnor Anderson, class of 1929, became
Executive Secretary of the Development Fund. In a year and
a half she has mastered the intricacies of the geographic and
central fund organization more fully than anyone anticipated,
and has handled her office with steady good humor and quietly
effective skill.

A number of changes occurred on the Board of Trustees.
Miss Belle Sherwin resigned in 1952 as Trustee Emeritus because
of inability to visit the College and the Board. Her resignation
was accepted, though in the thoughts of her colleagues she con-
tinues as Trustee Emeritus. In 1951 and again in 1953 the Board
was saddened by the death of a member. Mr. Edward L. More-
land, who became a trustee in 1950, served with informed in-
terest and with steady advice as chairman of the Committee on
Buildings and Grounds until shortly before his death in June
1951. Dr. Reginald Fitz, member since 1939, was a senior mem-
ber of the Board who gave important and stimulating advice on
countless occasions across the years. Their deaths constituted
a personal loss to their colleagues; their counsel is deeply missed.

One trustee, Mrs. John T. Pratt, retired in 1952 upon the
completion of the eighteen years of service permitted by the
Bylaws. Her long interest in the College and her thought for
its welfare have meant much to all of us. In the same year two
alumnae trustees completed their term of service, Mrs. Blake
McKelvey and Mrs. Frederic Hall White. Mrs. McKelvey was
particularly helpful in discussions of academic interests and
labor relations; Mrs. White's services in traveling widely and
speaking for the College, in visiting the College and knowing
at first hand its problems and strengths, and in suggesting many
interesting ideas and projects (such as the Class of 1776) need
no recounting here. The Board misses these former members
and rejoices in their continuing interest.

In 1952 four trustees were added to the Board. Two of

27



Wellesley College

them are alumnae trustees, Mrs. John B. Dempsey (Jeannette
Johnson, 1924) who in 1953-54 will start a three year term as
Chairman of the Development Fund Committee, and Mrs.
Charles D. Post (Cynthia Dudley, 1934), whose residence in
Wellesley fortunately for us makes her liable for countless
chores. Two of them are regular trustees, Mrs. George Fred-
erick Jewett (Mary Cooper, 1923), who brings to the Board
knowledge of Wellesley and of educational problems, and Mr.
Byron K. Elliott, who adds business and legal insights to dis-
cussions.

This report has mentioned for the most part changes in
the faculty, administration, and Board. In closing I should like
to refer to them and to all the people who are continuing in
their various positions by recalling my first impression, now
confirmed by time, of the good fortune of Wellesley to be so
loyally, efficiently, and happily served by so many.

Respectfully submitted,

Margaret Clapp
President



28



CHANGES IN THE ACADEMIC STAFF

for 1950-1951*

Professorial Retirements, Resignations, and Expirations

Margaret T. Parker, Ph.D., Professor of Geology and Geography

(deceased)
Dorothy M. Stone, Ph.D., Mary Whiton Calkins Visiting Professor of

Mathematics
John G. Pilley, M.A., Associate Professor of Education
Alice D. Weeks, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Geology
Alice Bourgois Coleno, Agregee des Lettres, Visiting Professor of French
Miriam C. Ayer, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Ruth C. Child, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of English
Marie-Antoinette Quarre, Dipl. E.S., Assistant Professor of French

for 1951-1952

Changes in Rank

Louise Kingsley, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of Geology to Professor
Helen G. Russell, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of Mathematics to

Professor
Margaret E. Taylor, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of Latin to Professor
Margaret K. Seikel, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Chemistry to

Associate Professor
Bartlett H. Stoodley, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Sociology to

Associate Professor
Owen S. Stratton, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Political Science to

Associate Professor
Anne L. Delano, M.A., from Lecturer in Hygiene and Physical Education

to Assistant Professor

heaves
Sabbatical leaves:

Katharine C. Balderston, Ph.D., Professor of English
Cecile deBanke, Associate Professor of Speech
Louise P. Smith, Ph.D., Professor of Biblical History
Margaret E. Taylor, Ph.D., Professor of Latin
Ada R. Hall, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Physiology
Helen J. Sleeper, Mus. B., Research Librarian in Music

Leaves of absence:

Alice H. Armstrong, Ph.D., Professor of Physics

Jorge Guillen, Catedratico de Universidad, Professor of Spanish

Louise Overacker, Ph.D., Professor of Political Science

Sylvia L. Berkman, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of English

Teresa G. Frisch, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Art (Faculty Fellow)

*The changes in rank, leaves, and new appointments for 1950-1951 appear in the
Annual Report for 1949-1950.

29



Wellesley College

Rhoda Garrison, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Botany
Virginia F. Prettyman, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of English
Phyllida M. Willis, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Chemistry

New Appointments

Julian Marias, Dr. en Fil., Mary Whiton Calkins Visiting Professor of

Spanish
Jean V. Crawford, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Pierre E. Deguise, Agrege des Lettres, Assistant Professor of French
Rene M. Galand, Lic.-es-Lettres, Assistant Professor of French
Jean-Maurice Gautier, Dr. de I'Universite de Paris, Lecturer in French
Gabrielle Rousseau, Agregee d'Anglais, Lecturer in French
Evelyn C. Barry, M.A., Instructor in Music
Harold L. Bond, M.A., Instructor in English
Harry M. Buck, Jr., B.D., Instructor in Biblical History
Rose L. Coser, M.A., Instructor in Sociology, second semester
Patricia Egan, M.A., Instructor in Art
Manuela S. Escamilla, M. Ed., Instructor in Spanish
Robert E. Garis, M.A., Instructor in English
Margaret B. Heaslip, Ph.D., Instructor in Botany
Patrick A. Hill, B.S., Instructor in Geology
May E. Nilson, Ph.D., Instructor in Chemistry
Ralph W. Reynolds, B.D., Instructor in Biblical History
Joseph Tanenhaus, M.A., Instructor in Political Science
Katharine Tryon, M.S., Instructor in Botany
Jack R. Villmow, M.S., Instructor in Geology and Geography
Irene M. Zuck, M.S., Instructor in Botany

Lillian W. Aiken, M.A., Part-time Instructor in Philosophy, first semester
Esther R. Backer, M.A., Part-time Instructor in Economics, first semester
Jacqueline P. Evans, M.A., Part-time Instructor in Mathematics
Sanchia Thayer, M.A., Part-time Instructor in English
Maud E. Wilcox, M.A., Part-time Instructor in English

Professorial Retirements, Resignations, and Expirations

Gabriella Bosano, Dr. in Fil. Mod., Professor of Italian (retired)

Ruth E. Clark, Litt. D., Professor of French (retired)

Hedwig Kohn, Ph.D., Professor of Physics (retired)

Thomas H. Procter, Ph.D., Professor of Philosophy (retired)

Howard E. Pulling, Ph.D., Professor of Botany (retired)

Mary B. Treudley, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology (retired)

Julian Marias, Dr. en Fil., Mary Whiton Calkins Visiting Professor of

Spanish
Grace E. Howard, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Botany (retired)
Ruth H. Lindsay, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Botany, and Dean of

Residence
Jean M. Arsenian, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Psychology
Anne L. Delano, M.A., Assistant Professor of Hygiene and Physical Edu-
cation
Pauline Tompkins, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Political Science

30



Changes in the Academic Staff

for 1952-1953

Changes in Kank

Mary L. Austin, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of Zoology to Professor
Harriet B. Creighton, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of Botany to

Professor
John McAndrew, M. Arch., from Associate Professor of Art to Professor
Edith Melcher, Ph.D., from Associate Professor of French to Professor
Richard V. Clemence, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Economics to

Associate Professor
Ferdinand J. Denbeaux, B.D., from Assistant Professor of Bibhcal History

to Associate Professor
Alona E. Evans, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Political Science to

Associate Professor
Elinor M. Schroeder, Ph.D., from Assistant Professor of Hygiene and

Physical Education to Associate Professor
Isabella McL. Stephens, M.A., from Assistant Professor of Education to

Associate Professor
Patrick E. Quinn, M.A., from Instructor in English to Assistant Professor
Phillip L. Sirotkin, Ph.D., from Instructor in Political Science to Assistant

Professor
Carolyn S. Solo, Ph.D., from Instructor in Economics to Assistant Professor
Phyllis P. Bober, Ph.D., from Instructor in Art to Lecturer

Leaves

Sabbatical leaves:

Harriet B. Creighton, Ph.D., Professor of Botany

John McAndrew, M. Arch., Professor of Art, second semester

Philippa G. Gilchrist, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry

Dorothy Heyworth, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Physics, second semester

Ernest R. Lacheman, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biblical History, second

semester
M. Ruth Michael, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English, second semester
Anita Oyarzabal, M.A., Associate Professor of Spanish, first semester
Justina Ruiz-de-Conde, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Spanish

Leaves of absence:

Bernard C. Heyl, M.F.A., Professor of Art, first semester

Walter E. Houghton, Ph.D., Professor of English

Isabella McL. Stephens, M.A., Associate Professor of Education

Sylvia L. Berkman, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of English

New Appointments

Thelma G. Alper, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology
Grazia Avitabile, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Italian
Marion H. Hamilton, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of English
Sarah J. Hill, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Astronomy
Ralph Spielman, M.A., Assistant Professor of Sociology
Emily T, Wolff, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Botany

31



Wellesley College

Norman W. Ashton, M.F.A., Director of Theater

Edith Kern, Ph.D., Lecturer in French, second semester

Germaine Lafeuille, Agregee des Lettres, Ph.D., Lecturer in French

Charles R. Shackford, M.M., Lecturer in Music and Director of the Choir

Henry C. Borger, M.A., Part-time Lecturer in Education

Esther P. Edwards, M.A., Part-time Lecturer in Education

Estelle F. Ingenito, Ph.D., Part-time Lecturer in Chemistry

Heinrich Schwarz, Ph.D., Part-time Lecturer in Art, first semester

Henry W. Allen, M.A., Instructor in Geology

Frangoise Borel, Dipl. E.S., Instructor in French, first semester

Dorothea M. Breding, M. Ed., Instructor in Hygiene and Physical Education

Norton T. Dodge, M.A., Instructor in Economics, first semester

Liliane Fabre, Lie. d' Anglais, Instructor in French

David R. Ferry, M.A., Instructor in English

Isabel W. Fulton, Ph.D., Instructor in Botany

A. Paul Hare, Ph.D., Instructor in Sociology

Uheng Khoo, Ph.D., Instructor in Botany, first semester

Thomas C. Moser, M.A., Instructor in English

Pauline Newman, Dr. de I'Universite, Instructor in French

Pamela H. Rice, Ph.D., Instructor in Political Science

Harriette Stripling, Dr. de I'Universite, Instructor in French

Robert G. Templeton, M.A., Instructor in Education

Eleanor R. Webster, Ph.D., Instructor in Chemistry

Constance B. Bruzelius, M.A., Part-time Instructor in English, first semester

Ruth Posselt Burgin, Part-time Instructor in Violin

Ann U. Donald, B.A., Part-time Instructor in Art

Patricia Hochschild, M.A., Part-time Instructor in History

Retirements, Resignations, and Expirations

Alice H. Armstrong, Ph.D., Professor of Physics

Fran^oise R. Livingston, Agregee de I'Universite, Professor of French

Louise P. Smith, Ph.D., Professor of Biblical History (retired)

Marianne Thalmann, Ph.D., Professor of German (retired)

Jeannette B. Lane, Ph.B., Associate Professor of Speech (retired)

Isabella McL. Stephens, M.A., Associate Professor of Education

Evelyn K. Dillon, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Hygiene and Physical

Education
John F. Hersh, M.A., Assistant Professor of Physics
John H. Mitchell, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of History
Lucinda Moles, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Spanish


1 3 5 6

Online LibraryWellesley CollegeReport of the President (Volume 43:5) → online text (page 3 of 6)