Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 2) online

. (page 113 of 137)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 2) → online text (page 113 of 137)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bill it was discovered by Mr. Gabriel, who immediately brought it to the attention of
Judge David Nichols, who was presiding over the senate, and he ordered its third read-
ing. It was passed without a dissenting vote and thus became a law. Mr. Gabriel has
always stood for progress, reform and improvement in regard to the commonwealth and
the city in which he resides. He has cast his interests permanently with those of the
people of Colorado and has been a most loyal supporter of all of its measures for its up-
building. His labors and efforts have been far-reaching and beneficial, and the integrity
of his motives ever above question.



HON. JAMES BOOTH ARTHUR.

Fort Collins lost one of its most valued and esteemed citizens in the passing of
James Booth Arthur, who died very suddenly on the 11th of August, 1905. He was a
native of Ireland and a son of James and Mary Arthur, who spent their entire lives in
that country, where the father followed the occupation of farming and stock raising.

Early in life James B. Arthur crossed the Atlantic to the United States, locating
first in Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania, where he had relatives and where he remained for
a number of years. Subsequently he spent two years with a brother in Nebraska and
at the time of the Pike's Peak excitement he crossed the plains, taking up his abode on
a homestead claim fourteen miles south of Fort Collins. He improved the place and



HISTORY OF COLORADO 763

busied himself in its operation, and for a number of years he hauled hay far up in the
mountains with oxen. Later he turned his attention to the stock business, in which he
was very successful. For a long period he ran his cattle on the plains here and also
in Wyoming, for a portion of his land lay in the latter state. After many years devoted
to the successful operation of his ranch he rented the property and resided in Greeley
for two years. He then erected a handsome residence at No. 334 East Mulberry street
in Fort Collins, where the remainder of his life was passed. For many years he was a
prominent factor in financial circles as the vice president of the Poudre Valley National
Bank and he was also interested with others in what is now the Poudre Valley Gas Com-
pany. He likewise conducted a plant for the manufacture of pressed brick and in the
management of his varied interests displayed the sound judgment and enterprise which
are the essential factors of success.

On the 17th of May, 1870, Mr. Arthur was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Kelley,
a daughter of William and Ann (McClain) Kelley, both of whom were natives of Ireland,
where the mother passed away. The father, emigrating to the United States in an early
day, took up his abode in Buffalo, New York, where he conducted a grocery store for
many years. His demise occurred in October, 1870, in Bay City, Michigan, where his
two sons resided and where he had gone for the benefit of his health.

Mr. Arthur gave his political allegiance to the democratic party and was chosen by
his fellow townsmen for public service. As mayor of Fort Collins he gave the city a
most progressive and beneficial administration and in the position of county commis-
sioner, which he held for a number of years, he made an excellent record. He belonged
to the Knights of Pythias and in Masonry attained the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite. His religious faith was that of the Episcopal church. His many splendid
qualities won him a host of friends and his demise was widely and sincerely mourned.
Mrs. Arthur, who survives her husband, lives at No. 334 East Mulberry street in Fort
Collins, where she is well known and highly esteemed.



FRANK F. RUDY.



Frank F. Rudy, who in November, 1916, was elected justice of the peace of Colorado
Springs and who bears the reputation of being a good citizen, loyal and active in support
of the best interests of the municipality, was born in Dalton, Ohio, in 1857. His father,
Isaac Rudy, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1818, and in 1847 he was married
in that state, after which he removed to Dalton, Ohio, where he remained for two years,
then removing to Mendota, Illinois, where he engaged in the grocery business for seven
years. On the expiration of that period he took up his abode in Kansas, where he made
his home from 1865 until his retirement from active business life. During that period
he was a resident of Olathe. His last days were passed in Jacksonville, Illinois, where
his death occurred in 1905, and his widow, surviving him for a decade, died in Jackson-
ville in 1914.

Frank F. Rudy pursued his education in the schools of Olathe and Johnson county,
Kansas, passing through consecutive grades to the high school and afterward taking
a course in a preparatory college. He later taught school in Kansas, and gave his atten-
tion to the profession altogether for about eight years. In 1880 he first came to Colorado,
settling in Pueblo, where he remained for two years, and then removed to Colorado
Springs in 1882. In the latter city he taught school for a year, after which he was
engaged in various lines of business. He was for four years county health officer and
in November, 1916, was elected justice of the peace, in which position he is making a
creditable record. He has always taken an active part in politics as a supporter of the
republican party and has labored untiringly for its interests and welfare. He served for
one term as a member of the city council of Colorado Springs in 1891 and he stands at
all times for those interests and activities which are most valuable in the public life of
the community.

On the 29th of October, 1885, in Johnson county, Kansas, Mr. Rudy was married to
Miss Alice L. Williamson and their children are: Zella. the wife of Val Shumate; Leila
and Leola, twins, the former the wife of Ralph Gossard and the latter the wife of Leo
L. Corporan.

The family attend the Congregational church, and Mr. Rudy is connected with
the Woodmen of the World and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. He
served for five years in the Kansas State Militia, rising to the rank of second lieutenant,
and he was for three years a member of Company A, a cavalry company, of the Colorado



764 HISTORY OF COLORADO

National Guard. He is a man of genuine personal worth, esteemed for his many excellent
traits of character, and his friends and neighbors speak of him in terms of deepest
respect.



A. C. GILLETT.



A. C. Gillett, an automobile dealer of Fort Morgan, being proprietor of the Gillett
Garage, is known to his friends, — and they are many — by the name of Ace Gillett. He
was born in Holyoke, Colorado, November 26, 1893, and is a son of E. M. and Annie
(Rowe) Gillett, who were natives of Iowa and of Illinois respectively. The father
became a hardware merchant of Holyoke, Colorado, where he located about 188S, but
for the past twenty years or more he has resided at Sterling, Colorado, where he occu-
pies the position of president of the Logan County National Bank. He has long figured
prominently in business and financial circles of this, community and has had not a
little to do with shaping material progress and upbuilding in that locality. His wife
is also living.

A. C. Gillett was reared and educated in Sterling, Colorado, being graduated from
the high school of that place in 1911. He afterward entered Culver Military Academy at
Culver, Indiana, and still later pursued a two years' course in the State University of Wis-
consin. In 1914 he was graduated from a business college at Burlington, Iowa, and
having thus qualified for life's practical and responsible duties, worked in a bank and
also at railroading in Burlington for six months. In December, 1914, he arrived in Port
Morgan, Colorado, where he engaged in the automobile business, handling the Over-
land and Willys-Knight cars and the Republic truck. He now has> a very extensive
patronage and his business is steadily growing. In 1916 he erected a fine modern two-
story garage seventy-five by one hundred feet, with basement under it. This he expects
to enlarge as soon as the war is over. He also owns a forty acre tract of land, which
he rents, deriving therefrom a good income, and he is likewise owner of an attractive
home at No. 505 East Bijou street, in Fort Morgan, and a residence lot one hundred
and fifty feet square.

Mr. Gillett was married in March, 1914, to Miss Nellie E. Neibert of Fairfield. Iowa,
and they are well known socially in Fort Morgan, where they have many friends. Mr.
Gillett is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and has been initiated
into the Masonic order. Politically he maintains an independent course, voting for
men and measures rather than party. His religious, faith is that of the Methodist Epis-
copal church and his life is actuated by high and honorable principles. In business
connections he has made a most creditable record and is. now one of the prosperous auto-
mobile men of his section of the state. He utilizes his entire building in the conduct of
his business, handles all kinds of automobile accessories, and something of the volume
of his patronage is indicated in the fact that he now employs twenty-two men. He is a
young man of but twenty-five years and his record is one that many a merchant or
dealer of twice that age might well envy.



CHARLES WILLIAM EMERSON.

Charles William Emerson, president of the First National Bank of Brush and
well known in financial circles in his section of the state by reason of progressive methods
and thorough reliability in all that he undertakes, was born in Van Wert, Ohio. March
19, 1874, a son of Charles and Kate (Hill) Emerson, who were natives of Ohio and of
England respectively. The father was a banker, following that business much of his
life at Van Wert, Ohio, where he also dealt in real estate. In 1870, however, he sought
the opportunities of the growing west and came with the Colony to Greeley, Colorado,
but went back and forth for six years, at the end of which period he sold out his Ohio
interests and located permanently in Colorado. He founded the First National Bank
of Van Wert, Ohio, and in connection with C. G. Buckingham of Boulder, this state,
the Emerson & Buckingham Bank of Longmont, still doing business under that name,
although the ownership has long since changed. He was also the first president and
heaviest stockholder in the Platte & Beaver Improvement Company which built the two
largest ditches in the eastern part of Morgan county about thirty years ago. irrigating
about thirty thousand acres of land. After ten years passed in Greeley he removed to




CHARLES W. EMERSON



766 HISTORY OF COLORADO

Denver, where his remaining days were spent, his death occurring in August, 1896.
His widow survived him for more than a decade and passed away in June, 1908.

Charles W. Emerson was largely reared in Denver and is indebted to its public
school system for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed. He started out in
the business world as an employe in a bank, in which he continued for two years, and
he afterward spent a similar period in the employ of an immigration and real estate
company. He next went to Oregon, where he took up the study of law, and in 1898
was admitted to the bar. Later he removed to California and was admitted to practice
in the courts of that state, where he followed his profession for a year and a half. On
the expiration of that period he returned to Colorado, settling in Morgan county, where
he engaged in the live stock business for three years. In 1902 he became a factor in
organizing the First National Bank of Brush and in 1904 Mr. Emerson accepted the
management of the institution and served as cashier, while now he is president. It is
capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars and has a surplus of equal amount, while
its deposits have reached four hundred thousand dollars. C. H. Mayborn is the present
cashier. Mr. Emerson's previous experience in the field of banking has proven of great
value to him and in directing the affairs of the institution he has displayed sound judg-
ment, keen sagacity and unfaltering enterprise. He is also a partner in and was one
of the organizers of the Brush Hardware Company, of which he is treasurer, and in
addition he owns farm lands and city property, from both of which he derives a sub-
stantial annual income.

On the 1st of July, 1916, Mr. Emerson was married to Miss Lois I. Immel and they
are well known socially in Morgan county, where they have a circle of friends almost
coextensive with the circle of their acquaintance.

Mr. Emerson belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is past master of his lodge.
He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias and his wife is a member of the
Episcopal church. Mr. Emerson gives his political allegiance to the republican party
and for three terms he served as mayor of Brush and has also been treasurer of the
town a number of terms. He has been most loyal to public interests, cooperating
heartily in all well defined plans and measures for the upbuilding and benefit of his city
and county. In so doing he looks beyond the exigencies of the moment to the possi-
bilities and opportunities of the future and his labors have been attended with excellent
results.



WILLIAM EDWARD FOLEY.

William Edward Foley, a lawyer ruled by fairness and actuated by broad hu-
manitarian principles in the practice of his profession, is now district attorney of the
second judicial district, comprising the city of Denver. He wasi born in Terre Haute,
Indiana, July 10, 1879, a son of James P. and Alice C. (Kelley) Foley, who were also
natives of Indiana, the father having been born in Johnson county, while the mother's
birth occurred in Ripley county. In young manhood the father took up the operation
of coal mines near Brazil, Indiana, and subsequently, during the Cripple Creek boom,
he came to Colorado in 1895 and was one of those who successfully operated in the
mining regions of Cripple Creek. He became very wealthy through his gold mine opera-
tions, but later through unfortunate investments in the same field he lost the greater
part of his fortune. In 1901 he removed to Denver, where he continued' to make his
home to the time of his death, which occurred on the 26th of December, 1916, when
he was seventy years of age. His wife passed away in Denver in 1913, at the age of
sixty years. They had a family of four children, two of whom died in infancy, while
those who are still living are: William E., of this review; and Thomas F., whose
home is also in Denver.

William E. Foley spent his youthful days in acquiring a public school education at
Terre Haute. Indiana, passing through consecutive grades to the high school, while later
he entered La Salle Institute of Chicago, Illinois, and was there graduated in 1897
with the Bachelor of Arts degree. He afterward came to Denver and entered the Sacred
Heart College. At a later period he entered the University of Denver for the study of
law and was graduated in 1905 with the LL. B. degree. He immediately took up the
practice of law and through the succeeding years secured an extensive clientage that
connected him with much important litigation. On account of his popularity and rec-
ognized ability he was nominated by his friends for office and was elected to the general
assembly in 1908 by the largest majority given to any candidate on the ticket. While
serving as a member of the state legislature he had the honor of nominating Hon.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 767

Charles J. Hughes, jr., for the United States senatorship. Following the expiration of
his term as one of the lawmakers of Colorado, Mr. Foley took up the practice of law
and in November, 1916, was elected to the office of district attorney of the second
judicial district, comprising Denver, which position he has since filled. He has gained
the reputation of being one of the best district attorneys that has ever served in
Denver, owing to his fairness to all who come into the courts. He believes that before
a man or woman should be condemned, he or she should have a fair and impartial hearing
and that every opportunity should be given to prove innocence. In his views he is
upheld by many members of the bar and by the general public. He is thoroughly in-
formed concerning legal principles and his knowledge of the law is accurate as well
as comprehensive. He prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care and disr
plays marked ability in presenting the strong points in his argument to court and jury.
While attending the University of Denver, Mr. Foley gained a very wide reputation
as an athlete and became captain of the university football team, '04 and '05, making
with that team a record which still stands as the highest ever made by a team in the
school. He became a member of Kappa Sigma, a college fraternity, and also of Phi
Delta Phi, a legal fraternity at the University of Denver. He is likewise a member of the
Denver Bar Association and also of the American Bar Association. He has membership
with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Democratic Club, the Denver Ath-
letic Club, the Rocky Mountain Screen Club, the Denver Motor Club, and the Park Hill
Club, while his religious faith is evidenced in the fact that he is a communicant of the
Roman Catholic church. In the club circles of the city he is well known, prominent and
popular and his ability in the practice of law has placed him in an enviable position in
professional circles. He has worked his way upward entirely through effort and power
and has enjoyed a large practice aside from his duties as district attorney.



HERMAN WEBER.



Herman Weber, dealer in automobile supplies in Colorado Springs and inventor
and manufacturer of Weber's portable turn-table trucks, was born in Oxford, Mississippi,
November 19, 1862, a son of Gustav C. and Johanna Christina Weber. The father was
born in Hamburg, Germany, and came to the United States when sixteen years of age.
After several years he was married and removed with his wife to Oxford, Mississippi.
While living in that state Mr. Weber enlisted for service in the Confederate army at
the time of the Civil war and served throughout the period of hostilities. He afterward
returned to his home at Oxford, Mississippi, and there his wife passed away in the
year 1886. About that time their son, Herman Weber, removed to Colorado Springs
and three years later, or in 1889, Gustav C. Weber followed his son to this state, estab-
lishing his home at Greeley. His last days, however, were passed in Colorado Springs,
where he died in the year 1912.

Herman Weber acquired his education in private schools of Oxford, Mississippi,
and in June, 1887, when a young man of twenty-five years, came to Colorado Springs,
after which he worked at the carpenter's trade for four years. He then turned his
attention to the bicycle business, in which he continued successfully until 1906, con-
ducting his interests under the name of the Weber Cycle & Supply Company. In
1912 the firm discontinued the sale of bicycles, and concentrated their efforts and atten-
tion on the auto supply business, which was reorganized under the name of the Weber
Automobile Supply Company, Mr. Weber being sole proprietor. He is also the vice
president of the Princess Gold Mining Company of Cripple Creek. In carrying on the
automobile business he became cognizant of a need to simplify the handling of cars
in garages and his study of the question led to his invention and manufacture of
what is known as the Weber portable turn-table, a device which is of the greatest value
in loading and unloading automobiles, from trains, or boat, or box cars, greatly lessening
the cost of the work as well as insuring a more uniform and safe method. These
trucks are simple in construction, easily handled by two men who do all the work
ordinarily requiring a large force of men. No device has ever been placed on the
market that so surely meets every requirement for the handling of automobiles and
heavy parts, and to Mr. Weber have come unsolicited many letters attesting their worth
from the dealers and manufacturers who have tried them. The trucks are manufac-
tured in wrought steel and in malleable iron. They are of the greatest aid and con-
venience in shifting cars in a crowded garage or moving them with wheels removed.
The trucks are strong and substantially made, and the heaviest cars can be easily moved
about on them in a garage by one man. They are made only by the Weber Automo-



768 HISTORY OF COLORADO

bile Supply Company, for the United States courts have sustained Mr. Weber's patents
and awarded him damages from infringers.

In Colorado Springs, on the 26th of November, 1891, Mr. Weber was married to Miss.
Addie E. Love, a native of Illinois. They have a son, Glenn Love Weber, who was born
in 1892 and was graduated as an electrical engineer from the Colorado College of Colo-
rado Springs in 1917. He is now a member of the national army, being acting corporal
in Company C, Three Hundred and Sixteenth, First Signal Branch, with the American
Expeditionary Forces in France.

Mr. and Mrs. Weber attend the First Methodist Episcopal church of Colorado
Springs and fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
the Independent Order of Foresters. He is not allied with any political party but votes
according to the dictates of his judgment. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce
and thus manifests his interest in all those well devised plans, and projects which
have been put forth for the benefit of the city, the extension of its trade relations and
the upbuilding of its civic interests.



EDWIX A. STEPHENS.



Edwin A. Stephens is the sole owner of the firm of E. A. Stephens & Company, the
largest direct handlers of raw furs in the west. In this connection he has built up a
business of very extensive proportions and no man is able to speak with greater authority
upon questions relative to the hide, fur and wool trade. Mr. Stephens is a native of
Kansas. He was born in Junction City, May 8, 1889, a son of Albert B. and Mary
Stephens, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Michigan. In early life they
became residents of Kansas and in 1880 settled in Junction City, where the father en-
gaged in the hide, fur and wool business. He is now a resident of Kansas City, Missouri,
where he still continues in the same line of trade. His wife also survives. They reared
a family of three children, but one son has passed away. The surviving daughter is Mrs.
Harry H. Hill, who makes her home at Enid. Oklahoma.

The youngest child of the family is Edwin A. Stephens, whose name introduces this
review. He attended school in San Diego. California, where his parents resided for eight
years during his early youth. The family then removed from California to Colorado,
establishing their home in Pueblo, where they continued for a year and a half and then
took up their abode in Kansas City, where Edwin A. Stephens completed his high school
education. After leaving school he went to Winnipeg, Canada, and became actively and
financially interested in business projects of that city, being identified with several
important corporations, including the Yukon Basin Gold Dredging Company, of which he
was treasurer. He was also identified with the International Securities Company, a land
corporation, and with the Stewart River Gold Dredging Company, in all of which com-
panies he was a large stockholder and a director. He remained in Canada for two years,
at the end of which time he disposed of his interests there and returned to his home
in Kansas City. He next entered into partnership with his father in the hide, fur and
wool business and continued with him for a year. In May. 1912, he removed to Denver
and entered business as a dealer in hides, furs and wool in connection with his brother,
A. E. Stephens, who had previously become established in business in this city. The
partnership existed from May until December, 1912, the brother dying on the 28th of that
month. The business was then conducted as an estate until May, 1913, when Edwin A.
Stephens took over the entire business by the purchase of the interests of his deceased
brother and has since carried on the business on his own account. His trade has been
one of increasing volume every year and he now has the most extensive business of the
kind west of Kansas City. He has made for himself a most creditable position in com-
mercial circles in Colorado and surrounding states by his strictly reliable business
methods and by reason of his familiarity with hide, fur and wool conditions. He buys



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 2) → online text (page 113 of 137)