Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 100 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 100 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

fact that he was innocent of any serious crime, no effort was made to bring him to
trial. He made his escape after two years of imprisonment, by a leap or spring from
the castle, and on being taken before the emperor, was pardoned by the latter for his
courage and given by him the name of Springer, which he retained. He was born
in 1042, built Wartburg castle, and died in 1128. Further down in the ancestral line
are reached Charles Christopher Springer (1658-1738) and his half-brother, Lorentz
(Lawrence) (1646-1741). The old Swedes church, Wilmington, Delaware, erected by
Charles Christopher Springer in 1698, is still standing."

The less remote ancestry of John Wallace Springer is equally interesting. He is
a son of John Thomas and Sarah (Henderson) Springer. The mother was a lady of
innate culture, of rare charm and graciousness and was a descendant of one of the
distinguished families of Kentucky. An uncle was William Springer of Illinois, who
for twenty years represented his district in the national halls of legislation and after-
ward sat upon the United States court of appeals bench in Washington, D. C. The
father was a prominent attorney and banker of Illinois who did not seek to figure in
public life but made his influence strongly felt in professional and financial circles.

John Wallace Springer is a native of Jacksonville, Illinois. He was born July
16, 1859, and after mastering the branches of learning taught in the public schools
of that city became a student in Asbury College, now De Pauw University, of Indiana,
which conferred upon him the Bachelor of Arts degree at his graduation with the class
of 1878. His college work served also to develop his oratorical powers and give him
his initial training in public speaking. He proved resourceful in debate and to him
was accorded the honor of delivering the graduating address of his class, for which
he chose the subject of "Statesmanship," a subject which he ably handled. Since
then he has been heard on many public occasions and on various subjects and his elo-
quence has been a potent factor in winning for him prominence in the west. When
his college course was completed he traveled abroad and upon his return to his native
land took up the study of law, in which his father had become prominent. Passing
the examination before the supreme court of Illinois in 1880, he located tor practice
in his native city, where he remained for about a decade. He was made clerk of the
committee on territories in the house of the fiftieth congress and in 1891 he became
a representative of his district in the Illinois state legislature. All these years he
was studying not only his individual business interests and questions relative thereto
but was also studying the questions and issues affecting his commonwealth and the
nation at large. He has ever been a man of discriminating judgment and of careful
analysis. Banking interests and law practice occupied his attention during five years'
residence, from 1891 until 1896. in Dallas, Texas, and in the latter year he came to
Denver to take a prominent part in support of McKinley during the presidential cam-
paign of that year.

As Mr. Springer traveled over the state he became impressed with its opportuni-
ties and its resources and determined to remain a resident of Colorado. It was not
long before his influence was strongly felt in the business, political and social circles
of Denver and the state. Possessed of a good income, he carefully looked about him
before he entered business circles. He purchased a splendid ranch of ten thousand
acres overlooking Denver and took up the work of raising fine stock. Today he cul-
tivates one thousand acres of this land and his farm is equipped with steam plows and
all of the most improved implements that modern science has brought to the aid of
the farmer. Ditches and reservoirs furnish him with a practically inexhaustible supply
of water and his place is one of the model ranch properties of the state. In 1902 he
aided in organizing the Continental Trust Company, purchased the Continental build-
ing at the corner of Sixteenth and Lawrence streets and assumed the vice presidency
of the company, in which capacity he continued to serve until the 19th of April, 1909,
when the business was reorganized and Mr. Springer was elected to the presidency.
He is also the president of the Continental Building Company and he recently pur-



HISTORY OF COLORADO 771

chased outright the building on the corner of Seventeenth and Larimer streets, which
is now being thoroughly overhauled and remodeled, the upper floors being used for
offices, while the first floor will be occupied by the Continental Trust Company in the
continuance of the banking business, which under Mr. Springer's guidance has been
developed to such large proportions. The bank is now capitalized for two million
dollars and has become one of the strongest financial concerns of the west. In addi-
tion to his other interests Mr. Springer is secretary and treasurer of the Continental
Land & Cattle Company; was president of the National Live Stock Association from
1898 until 1905, and has been president of the Colorado Cattle & Horse Growers Asso-
ciation since 1907. In fact, he is prominently and officially connected with many organ-
izations which have to do with the development of live stock raising and kindred in-
terests in the west. He has been a member of the National Wool Growers Association
and of the Cattle Raisers Association of Texas and he is a very prominent member of
the Denver Chamber of Commerce, of which he has served as vice president.

Mr. Springer married Eliza Clifton, a daughter of Colonel William E. Hughes, of
Dallas, Texas. She passed away in 1904, leaving a daughter, who is with her father
in Denver.

Mr. Springer is identified with many of the organizations which have to do with
civic progress or public benefit in Denver and is a member of almost all of the leading
clubs of the city, including the University, Denver Country, Overland Country, Stock-
man's, Gentlemen's Driving and Riding, Pan-Hellenic and Denver Motor Clubs. He
likewise has membership in the Real Estate Exchange and the Denver Bar Associa-
tion. It is said that as a presiding officer and public speaker he has no superior in
the state, and he figures prominently in all republican gatlierings in Color.ado as well
as in many meetings and conventions of a nonpolitical nature. He has wielded a
wide influence over public thought and action and his efforts have at all times teen
directed in the path of individual, local and national progress.



C. E. JOHNSON.



C. E. Johnson, attorney at law of Berthoud, was born in Loveland, Larimer county,
Colorado, August 29, 1891, a son of August and Tillie (Peterson) Johnson, who are
natives of Sweden. They came to America in 1886 and settled in Larimer county,
where the father rented land in the vicinity of Loveland, there residing for live years.
He also worked in a stone quarry for three years and in 1890 he rented a sectioni of
land in Weld county, which he continued to cultivate for thirteen years. On the
expiration of that period he retired from active business life and took up his abode
in Berthoud, where he has since resided. He is still the owner of two hundred and
ten acres of rich and valuable land in Weld county and he has sixty-five acres whereon
he now resides, just outside the corporation limits of Berthoud. His wife is also
living and they are numbered among the highly respected residents of their com-
munity.

C. E. Johnson was reared In Weld county and pursued his education in its public
schools, passing through consecutive grades until he had completed the work of the
eighth grade, after which he became a student in the high school at Berthoud, from
which he was graduated with the class of 1909. He next spent a year upon the road
as a traveling salesman, after which he entered the University of Colorado, pursuing
a course in law. which he completed as a member of the class of 1914. He then re-
turned to Berthoud, where he opened an office and has since engaged in practice with
excellent success. He has a fine law library, with the contents of which he is largely
familiar, and the thoroughness with which he prepares his cases is one of the strong
elements in his success. He is logical in his reasoning, clear in his deductions and
he marshals the evidence in his case with the skill and precision of a military com-
mander. He also has business interests outside the strict path of his profession. He
is the treasurer and counsel for the Boulderado Mining & Milling Company of Denver,
a tungsten concern, is the counsel for the Berthoud Lake and Ditch Company and
practically put the company upon its feet, and he is also the owner of eighty acres
of improved farm land in Weld county.

On the 24th of March, 1915, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Marg-
aret Young and to them has been born one child, Jean, whose birth occurred June 23
1917.

In politics Mr. Johnson maintains an independent course nor has he ever sought
office outside the strict path of his profession, although at the present time he is city



772 HISTORY OF COLORADO

attorney of Mead, Colorado. Fraternally he is a Mason and is the present master of
his lodge. He likewise belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and to the
Knights of Pythias. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and his
life is guided at all times by high and manly principles, and the salient traits of his
character are such as command respect and confidence wherever he is known.



M. L. COZAD.



M. L. Cozad is the owner of a productive ranch situated on West Plumb creek, ten
miles south of Sedalla. He has been the owner of this property for only a brief period
but already his efforts have done much for its further development and improvement.
He dates his residence in Colorado from 1913 and previous to that time was a resi-
dent of Iowa. His birth occurred at Leon, in Decatur county of the latter state. Jan-
uary 9, 1880, his parents being Jacob and Jane (Hubbard) Cozad, both of whom were
natives of Indiana.

M. L. Cozad of this review acquired a common school education while spending
his youthful days upon his father's farm in Iowa and after putting aside his text-
books he continued to devote his attention to agricultural pursuits there until 1913,
when he removed to Colorado, settling first at Strasburg. Arapahoe county. There he
conducted a ranch and was also manager of the Farmers Elevator Company for a
period of three years. In 1917 he removed to Douglas county and purchased eleven
hundred and twenty acres on West Plumb creek. This ranch is largely devoted to
stock raising but he also has two hundred acres planted to timothy and seventy-five
acres to alfalfa. He irrigates for these crops and the soil, naturally rich and pro-
ductive when water is added thereto, brings forth splendid harvests. He has good
buildings upon his ranch and everything about the place indicates his careful super-
vision and progressive methods. He uses the latest improved machinery to facili-
tate the work of the fields and everything about the ranch bespeaks system and order.

In 1902 Mr. Cozad was united in marriage to Miss Birdie Gore, a daughter of Zed
and Paulina Gore, of Decatur county, Iowa. They have three children: Audrey,
fourteen years of age; Roscoe, aged eleven; and Ivan, a lad of nine. Mr. Cozad is
a member of the Grange at Strasburg, Arapahoe county. His political endorsement
is given to the democratic party and he keeps well informed on the questions and
issues of the day but is not an office seeker. He has never had occasion to regret
his removal to the west, for he has found the business opportunities which he sought
and in their utilization has made for himself a creditable place as a representative
of the ranching interests of Douglas county.



FRANK W. VANDERHOOF.

It is a well recognized fact that real estate transactions immeasurably contribute
toward and stimulate the growth of a community and Frank W. Vanderhoof. presi-
dent of the Mid-West Land & Leasing Company of Otis, Colorado, has in that way
wrought great good in regard to the development of his city. He is a shrewd business
man, well informed, who makes wise use of his knowledge but who has never been
known to take advantage of any of his customers. On the contrary, all who have
had dealings with him have complete confidence and trust in him and he therefore
enjoys a large and growing business, which brings to him a gratifying financial
return. Moreover, Mr. Vanderhoof is now serving as mayor of Otis and exerts his
powers in order to give the city a businesslike administration. He was born in
Michigan in September, 1881, his parents being L. D. and Susie (Schultz) Vander-
hoof, the former a native of Michigan and the latter of Iowa. The father was en-
gaged in general merchandising in Michigan but on his removal to Nebraska entered
the drug business and later was connected with real estate deals and the meat business
at Holdrege. Nebraska. This was prior to his coming to Colorado in 1905. He now
has a real estate office in Fort Morgan, his yearly transactions netting him a gratify-
ing income. His wife is also living.

Frank W. Vanderhoof was reared and educated in Holdrege, Nebraska, and upon
completing his education he laid aside his textbooks and took up his first practical
duties in life. For ten years he was engaged in the meat business in Nebraska and
Idaho on his own account and at the end of that period came to Otis and declderi



HISTORY OF COLORADO 773

upon the real estate field as a more profitable source of income. This was in 1909.
He has since operated in real estate and his firm is known as the Mid-West Land &
Leasing Company, of which he is the president. Mr. Vanderhoof has not only execu-
tive ability and a convincing personality to aid in his business but he has studied
the real estate field thoroughly, is conversant with local real estate values and is ever
ready to give valuable information in regard to local properties. He follows the
highest business standards and it is therefore but natural that he has pleased many
of his clients, who have spread the word, so that his patronage has increased until
today his business connections are representative and important. Outside of con-
ducting his large business in Otis, he now also maintains a real estate oflace in Arriba,
the business there increasing by leaps and bounds.

In March, 1910, Mr. Vanderhoof was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle Mercure
and to them have been born two children, Dorothy and Frances. The family stand
high in the social circles of their community and enjoy the hospitality of the best
homes in Otis, both Mr. and Mrs. Vanderhoof being very popular among the younger
set of the town.

Politically Mr. Vanderhoof is a republican and since attaining the right of fran-
chise has supported the measures and candidates of his party, although he has never
demanded public office in return for his party fealty. Public honor, nevertheless, was
bestowed upon him in his election to the office of justice of the peace, which he filled for
eight years, and in the discharge of his duties he was always fair and impartial,
administering the law according to his conscience. He is a progressive and aggressive
business man, thoroughly patriotic as a citizen, and ever ready to support measures
of public value undertaken in behalf of the state and nation. Moreover, he takes a
practical and helpful pride in his closer home locality and particularly the community
in which he resides and of which he is now mayor, and is ever ready to cooperate in
or inaugurate measures which he considers of value to the growth of Otis. How-
ever, he is not only interested in material development but is equally concerned in the
higher things of life and does everything in his power to promote the mental, moral
and intellectual uplift of the people. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian
church, in the work of which he is helpfully active and his fraternal relations are with
the Masonic order, the beneficent principles underlying that organization ever guiding
him in his relations with his fellowmen.



JOHN PURSE. Jr.



John Purse, Jr.. is known as one of the enterprising farmers of Adams county
and, moreover, is widely known as one of the most stalwart champions of the public
school system, having for twenty seven years served as a director in his home district.
Ireland claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Gray Abbey, near
Belfast, on the 17th of April, 186.3. His father, John Purse, was also a native of that
locality and remained a resident of the Emerald isle until he reached an advanced
age, when he came to the new world and identified himself with the farming interests
of Colorado. His death occurred while he was on a visit in Ireland in 1904. His
widow reached the age of eighty-six years and passed away in Denver in January,
1917. The latter, who bore the maiden name of Jane Lemon, was likewise a native
of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. John Purse, Sr., became the parents of seven children, as
follows: James, an agriculturist by occupation; William, a farmer and dairyman;
John, Jr., of this review; Frank, who also follows farming; Hugh, who is employed
in railroad shops; Annie, the wife of James McFerran; and Jennie, now Mrs. Willis
Colby.

John Purse of this review was but a young lad when brought to America by his
parents. He began his education in the schools of Ireland but completed his studies
on this side of the water, and during the periods of vacation he assisted his father,
thus being early trained to the work of the farm. He was a youth of seventeen years
when he secured a position in a brickyard in Denver and later he engaged in teaming
for some time in that city. He was anxious, however, to engage in other lines of
business, so that when his economy and industry had brought him sufficient capital
he established a dairy business in connection with Mr. Epler, with whom he formed
a partnership in 1S85. Later, however, he purchased the interest of Mr. Epler, becoming
sole proprietor of the business. He has ever worked earnestly to provide a good home
and comfortable living for his family and a number of years ago purchased his present
home property, on which he has since placed modern improvements that include a



774 HISTORY OF COLORADO

good brick residence, substantial barns and a large dairy. He is one of the prom-
inent and successful dairymen of his section of the state and in addition to carrying
on that business he raises large crops of corn, wheat, potatoes and alfalfa. He has
for several years given close attention to his potato crop with the result that he has
not only secured fine yields but a superior quality for which he finds a ready market.
His farm work is conducted along the most progressive lines and his labors are
bringing gratifying results.

In Denver, on the 10th of June, 1886, Mr. Purse was married to Miss Mary R
McFerran, a daughter of John McFerran, a farmer of Ireland. To Mr. and Mrs. Purse
were born seven children; Adalaide, the wife of Emery M. Towle, by whom she has
a son, John Emery: Ruth, a teacher in the Denver schools; Lillian, Marie and Emily,
all deceased; John Russell and William Joseph, at home.

The religious faith of the family is indicated in their membership in the Presby-
terian church of Denver and Mr. Purse was a liberal contributor to the building of
the house of worship on Twenty-third avenue. He has served as one of the officers
of the church and is much interested in all that pertains to its growth and the exten-
sion of its influence. His political allegiance is given to the republican party where
national issues are involved but at local elections he casts an independent ballot. He
is perhaps more directly interested in the cause of education than any other thing
outside of his business and he has for twenty-seven years served as a director of the
school board and for a long period as its secretary. From early boyhood he has lived
in Colorado and has therefore for many years been an interested witness of its growth
and development, while his memory forms a connecting link between the primitive
past and the progressive present.



THOMAS J. DANAHEY. M. D.

Dr. Thomas J. Danahey, physician and surgeon, is one of those whole-hearted,
sympathetic practitioners who are every ready to give their services and expert medi-
cal knowledge and assistance wherever needed. While undoubtedly not without that
laudable ambition to attain success which is the stimulus of all earnest endeavor, he
is nevertheless constantly reaching out a helping hand and therefore should not only
be characterized as a physician and surgeon but also as a philanthropist.

He was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, August 27, 1878, a son of Patrick and Lizzie
(Lacey) Danahey, both of whom were natives of Nashville, Tennessee. They removed
to Iowa at a very early day, becoming pioneer residents of that part of the country,
and in the early '50s the father began freighting, making trips with wagon trains
across the .plains from Council Bluffs to points in Colorado, the principal termini of
these trips being Golden and Central City, then in the throes of the early mining
excitement. He had many interesting experiences while on these trips. He was one
of the first freighters to engage in carrying supplies across the plains and fought In-
dians, assisted in capturing road agents and was a close friend of all the early path-
finders, scouts, hunters and frontiersmen, having personal acquaintance with Buffalo
Bill, Wild Bill, Texas Jack and many other frontiersmen and noted men of the west.
At times his wagon train was ambushed and there occurred fights with the road agents.
On retiring from the business of freighting he returned to his home in Council Bluffs,
wiiere he still resides, but his wife passed away there.

Dr. Danahey is the eighth in order of birth in a family of nine children. He
attended the public schools of Council Bluffs and afterward pursued his literary course
in the University of Nebraska, which he attended for two years. He then came to
Denver and entered the Gross Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1909
with the M. D. degree. He has since engaged in the private practice of medicine and
his ability is widely recognized by many patrons. Reading, study and investigation
keep him in touch with the latest discoveries of medical science and he employs his
knowledge in a most effective way in alleviating pain and checking the ravages of
disease. He never refuses to respond to any call of the sick even when he knows
that no financial remuneration will be received. He is of kindly nature and his intense
sympathy prompts him to continually extend a helping hand to those requiring assist-
ance. He is a member of the City & County Medical Society, the Colorado State Med-
ical Society and the American Medical Association and thus he keeps in touch with
the onward trend of the profession.

Dr. Danahey was married in Denver in August, 1911, to Miss Kalten Klaren,



HISTORY OF COLORADO 775

whose parents were from St. Louis. Tliey now have three children: Thomas, born
in Denver in 1912; Evelyn, in 1916; and Lawrence, in August, 1918.

Dr. Danahey is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church and belongs also
to the Knights of Columbus. He is not identified with lodges or clubs, however, to
any extent but concentrates his efforts and attention upon his professional duties,
which have grown in volume and importance as the years have passed by.



JOHN ELSNER, M. D.



Dr John Eisner comes of one of those distinguished families, members of which
in 1S48 lett the revolution in the central empires which unfortunately did not accom-
plish the desired results. His father was numbered among the famous '48ers who
had to fiep their native country in order to escape the vengeance of those who suc-
ceeded in suppressing the cause of liberty in Hungary. Long has the name of Eisner
been famous in the former empire of Austria-Hungary and Dr. John Eisner of this
review was born May 8, 1844, in Vienna. Only four years later. In 1848, his father
became one of the leaders of the revolution with Louis Kossuth at the head of two
thousand liberty-thirsting students in that civil war. Misfortune, however, overtook
the movement and under dangers and great difficulties he and his family fled to Italy
and from there later removed to London. They then came to America, still in the



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 100 of 108)