tellectual and material development of the community, which interest finds expression
in his membership with the Denver Civic and Commercial Association. He also belongs
to the Manufacturers Association. Fraternally he is a Mason, being a member of the
blue lodge and also belonging to the Mystic Shrine. He is, moreover, connected with
the Woodmen of the World and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Hunting and
fishing constitute his recreation and in fact he is interested in all athletic sports, being
a member of the Denver Athletic Club, the City Golf Club, the Lakewood Country Club
and the Motor Club. These connections! indicate that his mind is a well balanced
one, in which work and recreation are splendidly blended. In civic as well as busi-
ness circles his reputation is of the liighest and he receives the respect of all those
who come in contact with him. Tliere is mucli credit due Mr. Nelson for what he has
achieved, for he has attained his position in life entirely unassisted.
Thomas Gallagher, engaged in farming in the vicinity of Littleton, was born in
County Mayo. Ireland, on the 12th of January, 1859, a son of Thomas and Catherine-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Gallagher, both of whom remained residents of the Emerald isle until called to their
Thomas Gallagher attended the national schools of Ireland until he reached the
age of fifteen years, after which he worked on the home farm until he was nineteen
years of age. He then went to England, where he remained until 1888, when he crossed
the Atlantic to the new world, arriving at New York in May. He devoted a year to
HISTORY OF COLORADO 781
railroad work in the east and in 1889 came to Colorado, where he took up the occu-
pation of farming near Littleton. He was employed as a farm ha(nd for five years,
but ambitious to engage in business on his own account, leased farm properties for
fifteen or sixteen years. At the end of that time he purchased fifteen acres near Lit-
tleton and has since cultivated that tract. In addition he also farms leased land and
he is engaged to some extent in dairying, having about fifteen cows. He has worked
diligently and persistently in his efforts to attain success and is now most comfort-
ably situated in life.
Mr. Gallagher was married In Littleton, Colorado, on the 27th of July, 1897, to
Miss Delia Gallagher, a daughter of John and Margaret Gallagher. They have become
the parents of five children. Margaret, Thomas, Marie, Catherine and Joseph.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church, to the teachings
of which they have always loyally adhered. Thirty years have come and gone since
Mr. Gallagher emigrated to the new world — a step which he has never regretted, for
he here found the business opportunities which he sought and has gradually worked
his way upward. Everything that he possesses has come to him as the reward of his
labors and he may truly be called a self-made man, for as the architect of his own
fortunes he has builded wisely and well.
Edgar Howbert, clerk of the district court ot the fourth judicial district of Colorado,
comprising El Paso county, and one of the honored pioneer settlers of Colorado Springs,
where he took up his abode in 1861, was born in Clarinda. Iowa, in 1856, his parents
being William and Martha (Marshall) Howbert. His father was born in Roanoke.
Virginia, in 1820 and was married in Indiana. His death occurred in August, 1871,
while his wife passed away in 1863, he having survived her for eight years. They had
removed with their family to the west, settling in Colorado City, now a part of Colo-
rado Springs, in 1861. Their family included two sons, one of whom is Irving Howbert.
Edgar Howbert was a lad of but five years when the family home was established
in Colorado Springs, where he has since resided, covering a period of fifty-seven years.
He has therefore been a witness of the entire growth and progress of this section of
the state. In January, he was appointed clerk of the district court of the fourth
judicial district, comprising El Paso county, and served continuously for twelve years,
or until 1901. He then retired, but in January, 1907, was again called to the position,
which he now holds. In 1887 he was chief engrossing clerk of the state senate. Much
of his life has thus been devoted to public service and the record which he has made
has been a most creditable one. His political allegiance has always been given to the
On the 22d of July. 1884, in Denver, Mr. Howbert was married to Miss Helen M. Hol-
lister, who passed away July 14. 1885, leaving a son. Earl Hollister. On the 9th of
February, 1897, in Chicago, Mj-. Howbert was married to Jessie I. Cowgill and they
have a daughter. Martha Agnes, and a son, Edgar Cowgill Howbert.
Fraternally Mr. Howbert is connected with the Masons and with the Elks. He
has a very wide acquaintance in Colorado Springs and this section of the state and
numbers his friends by the hundreds.
H. A. WALKER.
H. A. Walker, the vice president ot the Walker Manufacturing Company of Denver,
manufa<;turers of mine and smelter machinery and iron foundry products, was born
August 4, 1876, in the city which is still his home, his parents being Thomas C. and
Hannah A. Walker, both of whom were natives of Birmingham, England. They came
to America in early lite. The father was the senior member of the Walker Manufac-
turing Company at 2156 Fifteenth street in Denver, and he passed away at his home
in this city on the 13th of February, 1917. being then in the seventy-third year of his
age. His birth occurred in Birmingham, England. August 4, 1844, and he became a
resident of Colorado in 1871. when he took up his abode at Longmont. Later he
removed to Denver and organized the Midland Foundry & Machinery Works at 1535
Delgany street in 1878. In 1904 he changed the name of the business and removed
to the Fifteenth street address. He long figured prominently in industrial circles of
782 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the city and contributed to tlie business development of Denver. At liis death he was
survived by a widow and two sons: Thomas C. Walker, Jr., the president, and H. A.
Walker, the vice president of the Walker Manufacturing Company. The daughter is
Miss Blanch Walker. The father was a Mason and had attained the Knight Templar
degree of the York Rite. He commanded the respect, confidence and goodwill of all
who knew him and his many sterling traits of character gained to him warm friend-
H. A. Walker attended school in Denver and also the North Denver high school,
after which he entered into business with his father and rose steadily through the
various departments of the extensive institution which his father has founded and
developed. The firm manufactures mine and smelter machinery and supplies and in
this connection is well known throughout the mining sections of the west. They have
built up a business of very extensive proportions through honorable methods and in-
defatigable energy and the growth of the business is being still further promoted by
the two sons, who from boyhood days were associated with their father and who
became his successors and owners of the business. H. A. Walker has active charge
and management of the interests of the company. In addition to their mining and
smelting machinery their output also includes foundry products. The trade has con-
tinually increased and developed during the time that H. A. Walker has been active
in control and he is continually studying to further develop the interests of the busi-
On the 4th of June. 1898, Mr. Walker was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Pelp,
of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Felp, of this city. They have one child,
Mildred, who was born in Denver on the 9th of May, 1902, and is now a student in
the North Denver high school. In politics Mr. Walker maintains an independent course.
He is well known as a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of Denver
and is held in high esteem in this city, in which his entire life has been spent.
JASPER A. WRITER.
Jasper A. Writer, who died March 20. 1919, was the secretary and treasurer of the
Colorado Fuel & Iron Company of Denver. His position at the time of his demise was
in marked contrast to the point from which he started out in the business world. His
initial step was made in a humble capacity but steadily he worked his way upward as
his powers increased and developed until he became one of the foremost figures in in-
dustrial and commercial circles in the state.
He was born in Otisville. New York, on the 15th of April, 1858, and was a son of
the late George S. Writer and a grandson of Jasper Writer. Three generations before
carried the name of Jasper, so that the subject of this review was the representative of
the family in the fifth generation to bear that name. The family comes of Dutch
ancestry and was founded in America prior to the Revolutionary war. some of the
representatives of the name participating in the long struggle for national independence.
George S. Writer was born in Otisville, New York, and became a successful farmer,
following that pursuit in the Empire state, where two generations of the family before
him had carried on farming. He continued his residence in New York to the time of
his death, which occurred in 1906, when he had reached the age of seventy-three years.
His wife bore the maiden name of Esther Shay and was a native of Sussex county,
New Jersey. She was born upon a farm and was descended from an old New Jersey
family of Irish lineage. By her marriage she became the mother of six children, four
sons and two daughters, of whom one son and one daughter died in infancy.
Jasper A. Writer whose name introduces this review was the eldest of the children.
He began his education in one of the oldtime country schools of his native village and
afterward attended the Middletown Academy of New York. His early life to the age of
thirteen years was spent upon the home farm with the usual experiences of the boy
who is reared amid rural surroundings. During the succeeding six years he lived in the
village near the old homestead and largely devoted his time to the acquirement of an
education. When his student days were over he took up the profession of teaching,
which he followed for a short period in the east, and in 1882 he arrived in Colorado,
settling first at Colorado Springs, where he was employed as a clerk by the Colorado
Coal & Iron Company, which later became the Colorado Fuel Company. From that
humble position he steadily worked his way upward through various departments, ad-
vancing step by step, and in 1915 his orderly progression had brought him to the
position which he occupied at the time of his death. Previously he had been auditor
HISTORY OF COLORADO 783
for the company and was also secretary, and in 1915 he was elected both secretary and
treasurer, filling the dual position in connection with one of the foremost enterprises
of the kind in the state, having voice in the management and control of a business of
far reaching extent and importance.
Mr. Writer was married in Pueblo, Colorado, in 1SS9, to Miss Gail Hamilton Smith,
a native of Kansas and a representative of one of the old Iowa families of English
lineage. Her father died as the result of a bullet wound sustained while serving his
country in the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Writer were born a son and a daughter,
Margaret E. and Jasper. The son is now with the Denver Base Hospital Unit, No. 29,
at Deming, Mexico. He was for three years a student at Princeton and had one year
yet to attend, but left college in order to aid his country.
Mr. Writer of this review was at one time a member of the Colorado National
Guard, serving for five years. He joined the organization as a privale and on the
completion of his term was second lieutenant. His service covered the years between
1884 and 1889. In politics he always maintained an independent course, voting for
men and measures rather than for party. He belonged to the Denver Civic and Com-
mercial Club and was intensely interested in all that had to do with the progress and
welfare of the city and the promotion of high civic ideals. Both Mr. and Mrs. Writer
were members of the Plymouth Congregational church, in the work of which they took
an active and helpful part. Mrs. Writer was for eight years a member of the library
board of Denver and has been very active in church and charitable work and is now
chairman of the Women's Inter-Church Council. In a word, Mr. and Mrs. Writer have
always given their aid and influence to plans and measures for the general good,
especially those which seek the intellectual and moral progress of the community, and
their efforts have been an effective force along those lines. They have enjoyed the
warm friendship of many and kindly regard of all and have been numbered among
Denver's most representative residents.
AMOS LINCOLN BARKER.
Amos Lincoln Barker, chief of the Denver Veteran Volunteer Firemen's Associa-
tion and manager of the Denver Fire Reporter & Protective Company, is one of the
city's representative residents and native sons. He was here born September 7,
1860, a son of A. H. and Lucindia (Liston) Barker, natives of Ohio. Mr. A H. Barker
came to Denver in 1858 and built the first cabin on the present site of the city at
what is now Twelfth and Wyncoop streets. This cabin was one of the interesting
landmarks for several years, indicating Denver's growth and development. Mr. Barker
was a blacksmith by trade and conducted a successful business for many years, re-
maining a resident of Denver throughout his entire life. He was born in the year
1822 and passed away in 1895, while his wife, whose birth occurred in 1823, passed
away in the year 1899. In their family were four sons and five daughters. Those
still living being: Mrs. Mary McClain, Mrs: Josephine Parsons, Mrs. Annie Law-
rence, and Margaret Barker, who are now residing in California, and Amos Lincoln
Barker of Denver.
Amos L. Barker was the seventh in order of birth in the family. He attended the
public schools of Denver and also a business college, after which he became con-
nected with the Volunteer Fire Department in August, 1876, and became a member
of the paid department on the 16th of March, 1S82. He continued with the fire de-
partment until 1893, when he resigned and became Manager of the Denver Fire Dis-
patch Company, and later was made Manager of the Denver Fire Reporter & Protec-
tive Company, which position he now fills. It is one of responsibility but he fully
measures up to the requirements of the position and is making an excellent record
in that connection.
He is widely and prominently known among the old Volunteer Fire Department
men of the city and still holds the position of Chief of the Denver Veteran Volunteer
Firemen's Association, which position he has continuously filled since 1908.
On the 13th of January, 1886, Mr. Barker was united in marriage to Miss Emma
Stevens, of Denver, a daughter of John R. and Lavinia Stevens, who were natives
of Wisconsin. Seven children have been born of this marriage, two of whom have
passed away, Clarence and Dorothy. Those yet living being Robert E., Olive J.,
Ruth, Eunice I. and Donald L. Barker. All of the children being reared in Denver,
attending the Public and High Schools of Denver.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Barker is connected with the Woodmen of the
784 HISTORY OF COLORADO
World, and he was the first acting president of the Sons of Colorado, in which organi-
zation he still holds membership. His entire life has been passed in Denver, so that
through fifty-eight years he has been a witness of the growth and development of the
city, being keenly interested in everything that pertains to its progress and improve-
ment. He was elected Alderman of the second Ward of Denver, in 1907, and acted for
two years with credit to the City, he giving a great deal of his energies and time to
the benefit of the business interests of Denver.
ERNEST DANIEL MITZE.
Ernest Daniel Mitze, actively identified with farming and stock raising in the
vicinity of Broomfield, was born in Elberfeld. Germany, February 22. 1872. a son of
Daniel and Marguerite Mitze. The father was a wagonmaker in his native country,
where he remained until 1876, when he came to the United States, making his way to
Onaga, Kansas, where he lived for about three years, devoting his time during that
period to general farming. He afterward came to Colorado, settling in the vicinity
of Broomfield. where he secured one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he has
since owned and cultivated.
The son, Ernest D. Mitze, was educated in the public schools of Denver and after
putting aside his textbooks resumed work upon the home farm. About the time he
attained his majority he rented his father's ranch, which he has since cultivated, and
he also has one hundred and sixty acres devoted to stock raising. His plans are
carefully formulated and promptly executed, and the energy, system and close appli-
cation which he displays in the conduct of his business brings about most desirable
On the 16th of November, 1898, Mr. Mitze was married in Broomfield to Miss Anna
Fisher, who passed away in 1902, leaving three children, Anna, Marie and Ernest.
On the 29lh of November, 1905, Mr. Mitze was again married, his second union being
with Louise Weigele, a daughter of George and Louise (Mitze) Weigele. Mrs. Mitze
was born in Denver and attended the city schools. By her marriage she has become
the mother of two children. Henry and Ella.
The family; though of German lineage, stand loyally for the interests and activities
of America in this great world crisis and Mrs. Mitze is an active worker for the Red
Cross. Mr. Mitze belongs to that class who cannot and do not endorse any of the
atrocious wrongs committed by the German empire. He has lived on this side of the
Atlantic since reaching the age of four years and is thoroughly American in spirit,
interests and purpose. He belongs to the Grange, holds membership in the Lutheran
church and is a member of the school board in his district. He cooperates heartily
in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of the community and at the same
time he wisely and carefully directs his business affairs, thus providing a comfortable
living for his family.
JAMES ADAMS PERLEY.
James Adams Perley is a venerable citizen of eighty-three years whose identifi-
cation with Colorado dates from pioneer times. He has been closely identified with
the development of the mining interests of the state and now makes his home upon
a ranch near Morrison, the work of the place, however, being left to others. Mr. Perley
was born in Enciburg, Franklin county. Vermont. May 27, 1S35, a son of William and
Lydia Adams (Perkins) Perley. The paternal grandfather served in the Revolutionary
war under Washington.
James A. Perley was educated in the schools of his native county, which he at-
tended for three months in the winter season when opportunity offered, covering about
four winters all told. He worked upon his father's farm throughout the remainder of
the year and early became familiar with the tasks of plowing, planting and harvesting.
On attaining his majority he determined to try his fortune in the west and made his
way to Iowa, being employed at farm labor near Des Moines for two years. He then
removed to Emporia, Kansas, where he also spent two years and he assisted a cousin
in erecting buildings there in which to conduct a dry goods and hardware business.
In the year 1S60 Mr. Perley crossed the plains from Council Bluffs to Pike's Peak
over the old Santa Fe trail. There were many interesting experiences while en route.
HISTORY OF COLORADO . 785
They crossed the Buffalo plains and passed through the regions occupied by the Co-
manche and Kiowa Indians. They passed through the Comanche district at night and
in the morning were seen by the red men. from whom they ran, as there were only seven
men in the party. Mr. Perley believes that it was Jesse James who led them unmo-
lested through the Kiowa nation.
After reaching Colorado, Mr. Perley began mining at Blackhawk and also followed
prospecting and farming. In fact those occupations claimed his attention until 1896
and in the meantime he had located the Black Jack mine, which was a very rich prop-
erty, although not large. In 1896 he removed to Jefferson county, settling near Mor-
rison on what is known as the Bradford place, once a famous road stop of the early
days. It comprises four hundred and sixty acres of land, which hag been brought
under a high state of cultivation and development, being one of the valuable ranch prop-
erties of the district. In addition to owning this place Mr. Perley is still quite exten-
sively interested in mining properties, including the Silver Dollar, the Silver Dime, the
Republican and the Linden Castle.
Mr. Perley was married in Blackhawk on the 10th of April, 1863, to Miss Char-
lotte Verden, a daughter of John and Eliza (Hunt) Verden and a native of Wisconsin.
Her father crossed the plains to Colorado in pioneer times and the family faced the
hardships and privations of frontier life here. To Mr. and Mrs. Perley have been
born the following named; Eugene, who is manager of the Black Jack mine; James
H., who is upon the ranch; Emma Belle, the wife of William Beal; (Jertrude, the wife
of Charles Cox. living in Blackhawk; Mrs. Martha G. Rusk; and Addie, the wife of
In his political views Mr. Perley is a democrat, having supported the party since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise. There is no phase of frontier life in
Colorado with which he is not familiar, his memory forming a connecting link between
the primitive past, with all of its hardships and privations, and the progressive present
with its comforts and its opportunities. He can relate many an interesting incident
of the mining camps and he has been an interested witness of the progress and; im-
provement that has been carried steadily forward as the years have passed on. He
has a wide acquaintance throughout Colorado and is now numbered among its ven-
erable citizens, receiving the respect of all who have known him. His success in
life has been achieved entirely through his own efforts. Starting out with but limited
educational advantages, he has made good use of his time and opportunities as the
years have passed on, has learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience
and by his persistency of purpose and indefatigable energy made for himself a place
among the substantial and well-to-do residents of Morrison.
JOSEPH H. STRAUEL.
Joseph H. Strauel, a well known rancher of Simla, was born near Kiowa, on the
Bijou, April 15. 1881, and has spent his entire life in Colorado. His parents were
Joseph H. and Elsie (Aarons) Strauel. The mother, who was born in the east, is still
living, now making her home in Los Angeles, California. The father was a native
of Alsace and served as a soldier under Napoleon III in the Crimean war. Later he
was for several years in the service of Empress Eugenie of France. He came to this
country in the early '60s, going first to Michigan, and about the year 1866 he settled
on the John Lundy ranch on the Bijou. He was thus prominently identified with the
stock raising interests of the district and became one of the honored ranchers of
Elbert county. He belonged to that class of sturdy pioneers who were so greatly
needed in the days when Elbert county ranches were constantly raided by bands of
roving Indians. He was courageous, determined, energetic, resolute, capable of pro-
tecting the interests under his charge, and his efforts constituted a strong element in
the development and growth of the region in which he lived. After the death of her
husband Mrs. Strauel purchased the fine three hundred and twenty acre Strauel farm
close to Simla. This, with eighty acres taken up by the father as a timber claim,
constitutes the family's land holdings. It was as a raiser of fine cattle and sheep
that Mr. Strauel made an enviable reputation, displaying marked industry and skill
in this connection and becoming one of the successful and prominent stock raisers of
Joseph H. Strauel, his son, is today one of the best horsemen in the state and as
a cow puncher he enjoyed a well merited reputation, even in his teens. He devoted
Vul. IV— 5
786 HISTORY OF COLORADO
a number of years to breaking horses and afterward concentrated his efforts and