attention upon road building. For a year he graded all the railroad crossings from
Phillipsburg, Kansas, to Burlington. Colorado, for the Rock Island. He is now engaged
in the further development and improvement of the large Strauel ranch near Simla and
is also in the real estate business, buying and selling houses. He displays sound
judgment and keen discrimination in all of his affairs and his energies have made
him a most creditable successor of his father as one of the representative bus.iness
men of the district.
Joseph H. Strauel of this review was long a member of the National Guard and
saw important service in the Trinidad coal strike. He was stationed at Berwind with
Company B and was the first man called to render aid after the famous battle of
HON. BENJAMIN CLARK HILLIARD.
Hon. Benjamin Clark Hilliard, who has represented his district in congress and
who since 1893 has been engaged in the active practice of law in Denver, was born
in a log cabin on a farm eight miles north of Osceola, in Clarke county, Iowa, Jan-
uary S», 1868. His father. Albert George Hilliard, was a volunteer private soldier dur-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ing the Civil war, belonging to Company B of the Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry,
commanded by the late John C. Black. He devoted his life to the occupation of farm-
ing, was a man of gigantic proportions, industrious and hard-working, and rose to
success in his chosen field of labor. He was always esteemed because of his coura-
geous spirit and his unassailable honor. He married Euphemia Ellen Clark, a lady
of liberal education and culture, but death claimed her while she was yet young and
in 1881 she passed away, leaving a husband and three young children to mourn her
untimely demise. Slie was laid to rest in the cemetery at New Virginia. Iowa. Mr.
Hilliard afterward married again and removed to Kansas. In 1906 he met an acci-
dental death by drowning and his remains were interred at Pratt. Kansas. During
the period of the Civil war, while courageously defending the stars and stripes, he was
twice severely wounded and carried two bullets to his grave. At the battle of Pea
Ridge, Arkansas, a bullet destroyed his right eye and this bullet continued with him
to the end. The Hilliard family comes of English ancestry planted on American soil
in colonial days. The Clark family is also of English lineage. Benjamin Lilly Hilliard,
grandfather of Congressman Hilliard, was born in Vermont in 1810 and that state had
been the home of the family through two previous generations. The maternal grand-
father. John Clark, was a native of Ohio.
After mastering the branches of learning taught in the public schools of Iowa
and Kansas, Benjamin Clark Hilliard was graduated from the College of Law of the
State University of Iowa on the 16th of June, 1891, winning the LL. B. degree. He
entered upon the practice of law in Kansas City, Missouri, where he remained until
February 1, 1893, when he came to Denver, where he has since continued. His life
has been that of the usual routine work of the lawyer, but developing powers have
brought him recognition as an able member of the bar and his clientage has long
been large and of a distinctively important character. In 1896 he was made city
attorney of Highlands, then a suburb of Denver, and from 1902 until 1912 he was
county attorney of Elbert county and from 1909 until 1911 was also county attorney
of Grand county. In 1902 he was elected representative to the fourteenth general
assembly of Colorado but was unseated in a contest. Almost uninterruptedly he served
as a member of the board of education of Denver from 1900 until August, 1917. In
1915 he was chosen to represent the Denver district in congress, serving in the sixty-
fourth and sixty-fifth sessions. His term of office continued until 1919. He was orig-
inally a republican but gradually his views changed until he became a democrat under
the leadership of W. J. Bryan and H. M. Teller, and it was upon the democratic ticket
that he was chosen for congressional honors.
On the 22d of May. 1889, in Carroll county, Missouri, Mr. Hilliard was married to
Miss Tida Zimmerman, a daughter of John and Dora Zimmerman, who were well-to-
do farming people. Their daughter Tida was the youngest of a large family and was
given excellent educational advantages. To Mr. and Mrs. Hilliard have been born
the following named: Loraine, the wife of Ralph E. Finnicum. an attorney; Albert,
who is now vice consul at Edinburgh, Scotland, and who married Florence Howard,
a niece of Congressman Bruce F. Sterling, of Pennsylvania; Opal Naomi, at home;
and Benjamin Clark, Jr., who is in the military service of his country.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 787
Mr. Hilliard belongs to the Democratic Club of Denver, to the Masonic fraternity,
the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. He has been worshipful
master of Highlands Lodge. No. S6, A. F. & A. M.. of Denver, filling the office in
1901. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Highlands Christian
church of Denver. His activities in lodge and church circles, in politics and in his
profession have brought him prominently before the public and as a man of worth
he is honored by his fellow citizens of Denver.
GEORGE W. KNAPP.
For twenty-two years George W. Knapp has resided upon the farm in Adams county
which he now occupies. It was in 1S96 that he purchased the property and it has
since been his place of residence, while throughout the intervening years he has con-
centrated his energies upon its development and improvement. That his labors have
been attended with excellent results is indicated in the fine appearance of his place.
Mr. Knapp was born in Monroe county. New York, on the 14th of March, 1862, a son of
Joseph and Mary (Sigler) Knapp. The mother was also a native of the Empire state,
and in Monroe county the father followed the occupation of farming and there reared
his family, numbering nine children.
George W. Knapp is indebted to the district school system of his native county
for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. He continued to attend school through
the winter seasons until he reached his majority, after which he began farming on
the old home place, devoting his energies to its further development and improvement
until he reached the age of twenty-six years. He then went to Michigan, establishing
his home in Kalamazoo, where he conducted a grocery store for two years. He then
sold his business at that point and returned to the Empire state, where he resumed
agricultural pursuits, devoting six years to farm life at that period. The lure of the
west, however, was upon him and in 1896 he came to Colorado, making his way to
Adams county, where he purchased eighty acres of land, which he has since farmed.
He has brought the place to a high state of development and improvement. The fields
annually bring forth good crops as a result of the care and labor which he bestows
upon them, and his farm is an excellent property which any man might well desire
In Monroe county. New York, on the 1st of January, 1888, Mr. Knapp was married
to Miss Lucy Snook, who was born in New York and was there reared and educated.
The children of this marriage are: Mrs. Mattie Snyder; John S., who married a Miss
Snyder; Ruby, the wife of W. C. Miller; Clara; Ora; Florence; Merrick; Archibald;
Frank; and Ruby.
Mr. Knapp is identified with the Grange and is much interested in its work and
purposes. In fact he keeps in close touch with various movements that tend to pro-
mote agricultural development and render the labors of the farmer of more avail in
promoting the productivity of the district. His political allegiance is given to the
republican party and while he has never sought nor filled political office, he is serving
as a member of the school board. His aid and influence are always given on the side
of advancement, and the county numbers him among her citizens of worth.
JOHN W. WILLIAMSON.
John W. Williamson, devoting his attention to farming and stock raising in Jef-
ferson county, was born upon the farm which he yet occupies, his natal day being
May 30, 1876. His father, John Williamson, Sr.. was a native of Scotland, and the
mother, who bore the maiden name of Annie A. Grandville. was born in England.
They were married in London in 1S5S and in July. 1872, came to the new world, making
their way across the country to Colorado, where they took up their abode upon the
ranch now occupied by John W. Williamson, comprising four hundred acres of land.
With characteristic energy the father began the development and improvement of the
property and transformed the tract of wild land into productive fields. Upon this
place both he and his wife passed away in the year 1911. They had a family of but
two children and the elder died at the age of sixteen years.
The surviving member of the family is John W. Williamson, who spent his youth-
ful days upon the homestead farm in Jefferson county and supplemented his early
788 HISTORY OF COLORADO
district school educational privileges by a course in the high schools of Denver and
of Chilllcothe, Missouri. When his textbooks were put aside he returned to the farm
and has since devoted his attention to the production of grain and the raising of
stock, making a specialty of handling shorthorn cattle and Duroc hogs. He is a
progressive agriculturist, constantly studying out new methods to enhance the pro-
ductiveness of his fields, and at all times energy and determination have been dom-
inant factors in his career. He works earnestly and persistently and his keen dis-
crimination enables him to readily recognize the value and worth of progressive ideas
relative to farming. He is the owner of five hundred and sixty acres of land and he
also leases an equal amount, so that he is carrying on farm work very extensively.
He. certainly deserves great credit for what he has accomplished. Eleven years ago
he was handicapped by the loss of his sight, but notwithstanding this he still manages
his farm and can fix all of the machinery and does all of the milking. He possesses
natural mechanical skill and Ingenuity and this enables him to do anything along the
line of repair work. He uses the latest improved machinery to facilitate the work
of the fields and everything about the place is suggestive of progress and improvement.
He is also a member of tlie Grange.
In 1912 Mr. Williamson was united in marriage to Miss Olive M. Rabb, who was
born in Indiana, a daughter of Edward M. and Lilly S. (Smith) Rabb, who were like-
wise natives of that state. They became residents of Denver in 1891 and twenty years
later the father passed away, in 1911, but the mother is still living. Their family
numbered five children, all of whom survive. Mrs. Williamson is a graduate of the
North Denver high school and also pursued a special course of study in the University
of Colorado at Boulder. In early womanhood she took up the profession of teaching,
■which she successfully followed for twelve years. She is a lady of broad education and
superior culture and has many admirable qualities which have won her high regard.
By her marriage she has become the mother of one son, John Rabb Williamson, born
March 25, 1913.
Mrs. Williamson is a consistent member of the Congregational church. Mr. Wil-
liamson gives his political allegiance to the republican party, and while he has never
been a politician in the sense of office seeking, he has served for fifteen years on the
school board, the cause of education finding in him a stalwart champion. His genuine
worth is widely acknowledged by all with whom he comes in contact. Notwithstand-
ing the handicap of his loss of sight, he keeps in touch with the questions and issues
of the day and is an intelligent, progressive man and representative farmer, highly
esteemed by all who know him.
Edward Lehman is the president and treasurer of the Edward Lehman Jewelry
Company, Incorporated, of Denver. The business is conducted in the A. C. Foster
building and theirs is one of the leading jewelry houses of the city. A spirit of marked
progressiveness and enterprise has constituted the foundation for the development of
the trade. Mr. Lehman has long been identified with the jewelry business in Denver
l)ut he comes to the west from Buffalo, New York, where his birth occurred September
23, 1857. His father was Nicholas Lehman, a native of Germany who crossed the
Atlantic to the new world about 1S36 and settled in Buffalo. New York, where he
resided throughout the greater part of his life. He became a successful boot and
shoe manufacturer there, but at the time of the Civil war he put aside all business and
personal considerations and went to the front in defense of the Union, making a credit-
able military record by reason of the valorous aid which he gave to the army. He
passed away in 1S93, at the age of eighty-six years. His wife bore the maiden name
of Caroline Lingseiler. She, too, was born in Germany and was brought to America
by her parents during the latter part of the '30s, the family home being established in
Buffalo, New York, while later a removal was made to New York city. Mrs. Lehman
passed away in 1894, at the age of eighty-four years. She had reared a family of nine
children, seven sons and two daughters, of whom three of the sons are yet living:
Louis, a resident of Denver; John, who makes his home in Buffalo, New York; and
Edward, of this review.
The last named was educated in his native city, passing through consecutive grades
in the public schools until he became a high school pupil. He started out in the busi-
ness world when a youth of seventeen, being sent upon the road as a traveling sales-
man by his father. He succeeded in the work and continued active in that field of
HISTORY OF COLORADO 789
labor for about three years, when on account of ill health he was obliged to seek a
change of climate and on the advice of his physician came direct to Colorado. It
had been said that he could not live, but he arrived in this state in September, 1879,
and under the beneficial influence of Colorado's splendid climate he at once began
to improve. After a period of rest and recreation he accepted employment on a ranch
as a sheep herder near Castle Rock and thus had the benefit of outdoor life. This
proved to be his salvation and, living thus in the open, he soon recovered his health,
after which he returned to Denver and took a position with C. W. Little, then the only
wholesale jeweler of the city. He went upon the road as a traveling salesman and
continued with the firm for several years, traveling throughout the western states.
In 1882 he entered the wholesale jewelry business on his own account and in 1885
he formed a partnership with C. M. Blythe under the firm style of Blythe & Lehman.
They conducted their business at the corner of Blake and Sixteenth streets, in the
Witter block, and although they began their business on a very small scale their trade
steadily increased from the beginning until today Mr. Lehman is at the head of the
largest and most widely known wholesale jewelry house in the Rocky Mountain region.
In 1S87 the firm of Blythe, Lehman & Company was established, taking in C. H. Green,
of Saginaw, Michigan, as a partner. That association was continued for a year, at the
end of which time the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Lehman established a busi-
ness of his own, which he has since successfully conducted. In 1893 he admitted
W. W. Hamilton to a partnership under the firm style of Lehman & Hamilton and that
connection was maintained until 1902, when the partners severed relations and each
established business independently. In 1904 Mr. Lehman established the present business,
which was incorporated under the name of the Edward Lehman Jewelry Company, of
which he became the president and treasurer. He has since filled the dual position, while
H. G. Fisher is the secretary. The firm has a very extensive business outside of Colorado,
covering also the states of Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and New Mexico. The
house employs on an average of fifteen people and the business is a very substantial
and growing one. There is no feature of the jewelry trade with which Mr. Lehman
is not thoroughly familiar. Practically his entire life has been devoted to business
activity of this character and at all points in his career he has been actuated by a
laudable ambition that has produced most desirable results. He has been a persistent,
resolute and energetic worker, possessing strong executive power. He always keeps
his hand steadily upon the helm of his commercial interests and is conscientious in
his dealings with creditor and debtor alike. He is constantly studying the possibilities
of the trade and he has passed over the pitfalls into which unrestricted progressive-
ness is so frequently led. Focusing his energies in directions where fruition is certain,
he has built up an enterprise of most gratifying proportions and at all times his record
has been the expression of native justice, of deep earnestness and indomitable perse-
verance and a progressive spirit ruled by intelligence and good judgment.
In Denver, on the 4th of March, 1885, Mr. Lehman was united in marriage to Miss
Pauline A. Fisher, a native of Ohio, and they have become the parents of a daughter,
Anna A., who is now the wife of Hector C. McNaught. of Denver. Mr. I.iehman main-
tains an independent course in regard to politics, voting for men and measures rather
than party. He belongs to Union Lodge, No. 7. A. F, & A. M.; to Denver Chapter, No.
29, R. A. M.; to Colorado Commandery, No. 1, K. T.; to Colorado Consistory, No. 1.
S. P. R. S.; to the Council, R. & S. M.; and to the Mystic Shrine. He is most loyal
to the teachings of the craft and in his life exemplifies the beneficent spirit which
underlies the order. He is connected with Unity Camp, No. 25, of the Woodmen of the
World, and he has membership in the Rotary Club, the Denver Civic and Commercial
Association and in the Twenty-third Avenue Presbyterian church, of which he was for
twenty-three years a trustee. He is a man of many friends and all who know him
speak of him in terms of high regard. He came to Denver without capital and without
health and he has here found wealth, health and happiness and a circle of friends
that is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.
CHARLES E. PATE, M. D.
Dr. Charles E. Pate, physician and surgeon, with offices in the Metropolitan build-
ing in Denver, was born in Saline county. Missouri. April 21, 1880, a son of Thomas J.
Pate, who was born in Alabama and belongs to one of the old families of Tennessee.
In early life the father devoted his attention to educational interests but in later
years followed agricultural pursuits and won a very substantial measure of success in
790 HISTORY OF COLORADO
that connection, acquiring a handsome competence that now enables him to live re-
tired. He is a Civil war veteran, serving in the Confederate army under General
Price in the western campaign. He is now a resident of Windsor, Colorado, and has
made his home in this state since 18S8. For a number of years he was a successful
merchant of Boulder. Colorado. He married Fannie Thomas, a native of Missouri,
who belongs to one of the old pioneer families of that state, her people coming, how-
ever, originally from Virginia. Mrs. Pate is also living and they are among the highly
esteemed residents of Windsor. They had a family of four sons and a daughter but
one of the sons has passed away. The youngest of the family are twins, Dr. Pate of
this review and Dr. Arthur J. Pate, a practicing dentist of Denver.
Charles E. Pate was educated in the public and high schools of Boulder, completing
his course there by graduation as a member of the class of 1901. He determined to
engage in the practice of medicine as a life work and with that end in view entered
the Denver & Gross Medical College, in which he completed his course in 1905. His
early life was spent upon the home farm and he soon became familiar with the duties
and labors of the agriculturist, but he did not care to devote his attention throughout life
to farm work and qualified for the medical profession. Following his graduation he spent
eighteen months as an interne in St. Luke's Hospital of Denver and then entered upon
the private practice of medicine at Bingham Canyon. Utah, where he remained for a
year. He next took up his abode in Denver, where he is permanently located. Here
he has continued in active general practice and has won a business of very gratifying
proportions. He is now a member of the County Hospital staff and also a member of
the Denver city health staff.
On the 30th of November. 1916, Dr. Pate was united In marriage to Miss Isabel
Cook, a native of Florida and of Scotch descent, her parents being Mr. and Mrs. J. R.
Cook, now residents of Denver. Dr. and Mrs. Pate have one daughter, Margaret Jane,
who was born in Denver, August 31, 1917.
Dr. Pate belongs to Denver Lodge, No. 17, K. P., and also to the Benevolent Pro-
tective Order of Elks. He turns to hunting and fishing and outdoor life in general for
rest and recreation. His profession makes strenuous demands upon his time and
energy. His has been a busy, active and useful life and the elemental strength of his
character was shown in the fact that he worked his way through the university, being
employed during the summer months in the mines. The determination, with which he
pursued the course that he had marked out brought him ultimately to the goal which
he wished to reach — graduation from a good medical college, whereby he would be
thoroughly qualified for active practice. He is now recognized as one of the able
general practitioners of Denver and his business has assumed gratifying proportions.
He belongs to the Denver City and County Medical Society and the Medical Science
ENOCH E. HORNBAKER.
Enoch E. Hornbaker, a resident farmer and stock raiser of Boulder county,
highly respected thoroughout the community in which he makes his home, has always
lived within the borders of the county and his record is therefore as an open book.
He was born February 28, 1875, a son of H. H. and Sarah Hornbaker, who are men-
tioned in connection with the sketch of F. L. Hornbaker on another page of this work.
Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Enoch E. Hornbaker pur-
sued his education in the public schools, mastering the common branches and also the
work of the high school. Through vacation periods he assisted in all the labors of
the farm and after attaining his majority he turned his attention to the barber's trade,
which he followed for about twelve years. On the expiration of that period he resumed
agricultural life, settling on the farm which is still his place of residence. He secured
eighty acres of land which he has well improved and highly cultivated. It is all under
the ditch and his progressive methods of farming have made his fields very productive,
so that he annually gathers large crops. He has also added various substantial build-
ings to his place and everything about the farm bespeaks the thrift, care and enter-
prise of the owner.
On the 2d of July, 1901, Mr. Hornbaker was united in marriage to Mrs. Flora M.
Nichols, a native of Illinois and a daughter of James and Virginia (Banner) Hart-
sook. who were natives of Virginia. The father has passed away but the mother sur-
vives and now makes her home in Longmont, Colorado. By Mrs. Hornbaker's first
marriage she had one son, William Henry Nichols. Mr. and Mrs. Hornbaker have
HISTORY OF COLORADO 791
become the parents of four children but the firstborn, Vionia is deceased. Those living
are James H., Edward L. and Virginia, all of whom are at home. The parents are
members of the United Brethren church and are much interested in its work, con-
tributing generously to its support.
Mr. Hornbaker belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge, No. 154, and has filled all of the
chairs. He is likewise connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and with the
Grange. He votes with the democratic party but has never been an office seeker. Since
starting out in the business world on his own account he has made steady progress and
the methods which he has pursued commend him to the confidence, goodwill and
respect of those who know him. He has always been thoroughly reliable and straight-
forward, and his energy and industry have been the basic elements on which he has
builded his success.