Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 11 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 11 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ship with J. A. Yenne, of Fort Morgan, and in 1908 he sold the furniture stock but
has since continued in the undertaking business. He is also manager of a department
of the Nelson Mercantile Company, of which his wife is one of the owners. They
carry aij immense stock of goods, occupying two floors and basement, and Mr. Potter
is recognized as one of the most progressive merchants of this section of the state, actu-
ated by a spirit of progress and enterprise in all that he does.

In October, 1902, Mr. Potter was united in marriage to Miss Lena Yenne, a daugh-
ter of J.; A. Yenne, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Potter
was borri one child, Helen, whose birth occurred June 9, 1907. The wife and mother
passed away on the 17th of July of the same year and on the 20th of May, 1915, Mr.
Potter was again married, his second union being with Miss Clara Nelson, a daughter
of Ole and Christina (Christenson) Nelson, who are mentioned below. Mr. and Mrs.
Potter are consistent members of the Presbyterian church and he is a faithful fol-
lower of Masonic teachings, belonging to the lodge, chapter, commandery, the Mystic
Shrine and the Eastern Star. He likewise has membership with the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs and also with the Knights of Pythias. Politically
he is a republican, believing firmly in the principles of the party, and he has been
called upon to serve in some public positions, acting as county coroner of Morgan
county and also as mayor of Brush. He is of a high type of American manhood, loyal
to each interest entrusted to his care and thoroughly reliable as well as progressive in
business;



OLE NELSON.



Ole Nelson, who was a most enterprising, far-sighted and sagacious business man,
the founder of the Nelson Mercantile Company, was born in Denmark on the 16th of
June, 1854. He partially acquired his education in that country, where he remained
until he reached the age of eighteen years and then sought a home in the new world.
Crossing the Atlantic to America, he made his way first to Chicago, where he resided,
however, for only a brief period. He then went to Hampton, Iowa, where he pur-
chased and improved a farm and as the years passed he continued its cultivation until
sixteen years had been added to the cycle of the centuries. In the spring of 1896 he
arrived in Brush, Morgan county, Colorado, and purchased land within the borders
of the county, carrying on farming for a year. At the end of that time, however, he
abandoned agricultural pursuits and removed to Brush, where he established business
under the name of the Nelson Mercantile Company. He opened a store and from
the beginning his trade constantly increased, so that he found it necessary to enlarge
his stock from time to time in order to meet the growing demands of the business.
He developed one of the most important commercial interests of the county and was
active in its control and management until his den>ise, which occurred on the 26th
of January, 1913, when he had reached the age of nearly fifty-nine years.

In early manhood Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Christina Christenson, also a
native of Denmark, born on the 19th of December, 1864. She still survives her hus-
band and now makes her home in California. By her marriage she had five children:
Ida M., who is now a student in the University of Denver; Elizabeth A., the wife of
W. J. Clark, residing in Los Angeles. California; Clara, the wife of Frank H. Potter,
mentioned elsewhere in this work; Bflie N., the wife of R. C. Grigg. of Brush, Colorado;
and Uriel, who is at home with his mother.

Mr. Nelson served on the town council of Brush for a long period and was county
assessor while in Iowa. Mrs. Nelson still owns the old home farm and two residence
properties, one of which is situated in Brush. Mr. Nelson erected the first brick build-
ing in Brush and contributed in very marked measure to the development and progress
of the town as the years passed by. In addition to promoting one of its chief com-
mercial interests he was the vice president of the Stockmen's National Bank, His
worth and ability were widely recognized and in his passing the community lost one



HISTORY OF COLORADO 83

of its most valued citizens. He was a loyal and exemplary member of the Masonic
fraternity, of which he served as treasurer for five years, and his religious faith was
that of the Lutheran church, which found in him a faithful follower.



RAY E. HAVERLAND.



Ray E. Haverland is a member of the well known firm of Hoch & Haverland,
prominent lumber dealers of Otis, Colorado. Although he is yet a comparatively young
man he has attained a success in commercial life which entitles him to be numbered
among the successful business men of his section of the state. He was born in Elgin,
Nebraska, in February, 1883, a son of Samuel and Esther (Ball) Haverland. natives of
Wisconsin, who in 1876 went to Nebraska, where they took up a homestead in Antelope
county, which the father successfully cultivated until 1910, when he removed farther
west, taking up his home in Yuma county, Colorado, where he was engaged in thei
coal business for four years. He is now living retired, having accumulated a com-
fortable competence through his years of labor and industry and resides in Y'uma.
The mother of our subject is also living.

Ray E. Haverland was reared under the parental roof and received his education
in Antelope county, Nebraska, where he attended the county schools. Upon complet-
ing his education he decided upon the carpenter's trade as a profitable occupation and
learned that trade, at which he worked tor about eight years. At the end of that
time, in 1909, he came to Y'uma county, Colorado, and took up a homestead claim,
which he improved to some extent but later sold. He was also connected with the
lumber business for two years while following the carpenter's trade in Yuma and
Nebraska. In 1913 he formed a partnership with H. C. Hoch and they engaged in
the lumber business at Otis, Mr. Haverland having had practical charge of the enter-
prise ever since its organization. His sound business judgment, his indefatigable
energy and his thorough knowledge have enabled him to extend the enterprise con-
siderably, and today their business is a profitable one. He has always followed honor-
able methods and his reputation as a reliable dealer and trustworthy business man is
thoroughly established.

In September, 1906, Mr. Haverland was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Realim
and to them were born two children: Hazel G., January 1, 1908; and Harry E.. Febru-
ary 2, 1911. In his political affiliations Mr. Haverland is a republican but, although
interested in the success of his party, has never been a politician in the sense of office
seeking. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work
of which he takes a laudable and helpful interest, and fraternally he belongs to the
Royal Highlanders. Outside of his lumber interests he is a stockholder and director
in the Farmers State Bank of Otis, which institution has greatly prospered since its
foundation, only a few years ago. As a public-spirited citizen, as a business man and
in private life Mr. Haverland enjoys the great esteem and respect of all who know
him and is most highly rated by those who know him best, this indicating the true
worth of his character.



EDWARD L. CLOVER.



Edward L. Clover, attorney at law of Denver, was born in Hardin county, Iowa, Jan-
uary 25, 1861, a son of Gerettus and Susan D. (Maddox) Clover, both of whom were
natives of Indiana. In 1858 they removed westward to Iowa, where Mr. Clover engaged
in farming, thus providing for the support of his family. In 1863. however, he
established the family home in Grundy county, Illinois, where both he and his wife
passed away and were laid to rest. During the period of the Civil war Mr. Clover
responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting as a private in the Sixteenth
Iowa Infantry, with which he served under the old flag for thirty-seven months and
during this period was on the firing line in many of the most hotly contested battles
of the war. In the family were two children but one son, Thomas P., has passed away.

The younger, Edward L. Clover of this review, was a pupil in the public schools of
Illinois and of Oswego, Kansas, and also attended a private school in Oswego, Kansas,
whither his parents had removed in 1879, returning to Illinois in 1882. After master-
ing the common branches of learning he took up the study of law in an attorney's
office of Oswego. Kansas, and was admitted to the bar there in November, 18<5l, but



84 HISTORY OF COLORADO

did not immediately enter upon the active practice of the profession, devoting his
attention to other pursuits for five years. He then opened a law office at Morris,
Grundy county, Illinois, and became a prominent member of the legal fraternity there
during the nineteen years in which he engaged in his chosen profession in that city.
For three terms he filled the office of city attorney of Morris, making a most creditable
record in that position. In 1907 he decided to come west and after a careful survey
of the field determined to locate in Denver. Subsequent results have justified this
determination, for in the intervening years he has built up a large practice and is
today regarded as one of the representative atlorneys of the Colorado bar.

On the 20th of May, 1883, Mr. Clover was united in marriage to Miss Jessie M.
Coles, of Gardner, Illinois, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Coles. They have one
child, Inez H., who was born in Morris, Illinois, and is a graduate of the high school
of Joliet, Illinois, and of a girls' school at Evanston, that state. She makes her home
in Grundy county, Illinois and has become the mother of two children, Edward F.
and Elizabeth Harford.

Mr. Clover gives his political allegiance to the democratic party, which he has
supported since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He is a Master Mason,
loyal to the teachings of the craft, and he also has membership with the Sons of Vet-
erans. Along strictly professional lines his connection is with the County and City
Bar Association, with the Colorado State Bar Association and the American Bar
Association. Those who know him, and he has gained a wide acquaintance, esteem
him as a man of genuine personal worth and high professional attainments, while as
a citizen he stands loyally in support of all that has to do with public progress and
improvement.



DAVID BROTHERS.



Among Denver's citizens who became octogenarians was numbered David Brothers,
whose connection with the city dated from early pioneer times. He made the trip
across the country from Wisconsin in the year 1859 and cast in his lot with those early
settlers who were laying the foundations for Denver's future development and great-
ness. He was born near London, England, May 16, 1838, being one of twelve children
whose parents were John and Mary CWightman) Brothers. He was but six years of
age when he began to assist in farm work and was employed in agricultural pursuits
In his native country until he reached young manhood, when he bade adieu to friends,
family and native land and sailed for the United States, believing that he might have
better business opportunities on this side of the Atlantic. Making his way to Wisconsin,
he there resumed the occupation of farming, which he followed in that state for four
years. On the expiration of that period he came to Colorado, arriving in 1859. In 1869
he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land in Jefferson county. He then took
up farming on his own account and was so engaged for more than a third of a century,
bringing his fields under a high state of cultivation and transforming his land into
a rich and productive farm. In 1903, however, he put aside the active work of the
fields and retired from business, removing to Denver, where he resided »mtil the time
of his demise. He was interested in the Central Savings Bank, of which he had been
a director since 1892.

On the 30th of June, 1879. in Denver, Mr. Brothers was married to Mrs. Thomasine
(Thomas) Manhart, a daughter of Francis and Elizabeth (Meyers) Thomas. The
Thomas family was early established in Indiana, where Francis Thomas w£is born,
while his wife, Elizabeth (Meyers) Thomas, was descended from an old Virginia
family. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas subsequently removed to Missouri and in that state
Mrs. David Brothers was born. Later the family went to Kansas, where Mr. Thomas
became owner of two fine ranches. In the spring of 1860 they again took up their
course toward the west, starting for Colorado with ox teams, the father, mother
and six children riding in a light wagon or buckboard. They were one month in
making the five hundred miles to Pike's Peak, which was then the slogan, as the
name of Colorado was hardly known. During their westward journey no troubles
were incurred with the Indians, who always remained friendly and were frequently
entertained at their camp. The Thomas family located at Globeville, now a part of
Denver, where Mr. Thomas acquired land. They were the parents of nine children,
of whom four daughters survive, as follows: Mrs. Brothers. Mrs. Anna Manhart, Mrs.
Laura Ramsey and Jlrs. Emma Corfman, all residents of Denver. Mrs. Brothers was




DAVID BROTHERS



86 HISTORY OF COLORADO

but ten years of age when brought to' Colorado, where she was largely reared and
received her education.

Mr. Brothers gave his political allegiance to the republican party, which he had
supported since becoming a naturalized American citizen. He belonged to the Metho-
dist Episcopal church of Highlands, of which his widow is a devoted attendant, and
to the Denver Civic and Commercial Association, connections which indicated the
nature of his interests and the rules which governed his conduct. He ever stood for
progress and improvement in public affairs, for integrity and honor in the life of
the individual, and his course made his an honored name. Death called him on the
24th of November. 1918. He lived to see many changes in the great west and in the
world at large. Born during the presidential administration of Martin Van Buren, he
saw the introduction of the telegraph and the telephone and the extension of a most
wonderful system of railroads over all parts of the country. Moreover, he lived to
see the country emerge triumphantly from four different wars— the Mexican, the Civil,
the Spanish-American and the World war, so recently and so brilliantly won. He
was ever keenly interested in great world movements and in his home locality he bore
his full share in the work of general development and progress.



G. A. NEWKIRK.



G. A. Newklrk arrived in Denver an absolute stranger. Today he is widely known
in social and business circles and has won an enviable position as the general agent
at Denver for the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company of Newark, New Jersey.
He has advanced steadily to this position since starting out in the business world in
a humble capacity, yet all days in his career have not been equally bright. Obstacles
and difBculties have arisen but perseverance and determined effort have enabled him
to overcome these and steadily push forward to the goal of prosperity.

Mr. Newkirk is a native son of New York. He was born at Fort Hunter, Mont
gomery county, August 14, 1857, and comes of Dutch ancestry, belonging to that class
of Knickerbockers who founded the Empire state. Three brothers of the name came
to the new world and the progenitor of the branch of the family to which G. A. Newkirk
belongs was one of the first settlers in Amsterdam, now New York city. Later repre-
sentatives of the name participated in the Revolutionary war and still others In the
War of 1812. His father. Abraham Newkirk, was born in the Empire state and became
a successful farmer there. Ultimately, however, he removed to the west, taking up his
abode in Denver, Colorado, in 1890. There he lived retired to the time of his demise,
which occurred in 1904, when he had reached the age of seventy-six years. His wife
bore the maiden name of Catherine Snook and was born near Fort Hunter. New York.
She, too, belonged to one of the old families of that state, of Scotch descent. Her death
occurred in Fonda, New York, in 1883, when she was fifty years of age. The family
numbered seven children, four sons and three daughters, of whom G. A. Newkirk is the
third in order of birth.

While spending his youthful days to the age of thirteen years upon the home farm
G. A. Newkirk attended the district schools and then put aside his textbooks, since
which time he has learned his lessons in the school of experience. Starting out to earn
a living, he was first employed in scraping broomcorn on a neighboring farm. He
afterward took up clerking in a variety store at Fultonville, New York, thus gaining
his first experience along commercial lines. He afterward followed clerical work in
this store for three years, and at the age of seventeen, in order to secure thorough
training for business duties, he entered the Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie,
New York, in which he completed a commercial course. He then removed to New York
city and secured employment with John H. Starin, who was largely engaged in the
transportation business and was a steamboat owner. He acted as cashier for Mr. Starin
at Glen Island, the celebrated summer resort in Long Island Sound, continuing in
that position for a year, after which he returned to Fonda, where he secured a position
In a general store, there remaining until the death of his mother, which occurred in
March, 188.3.

Mr. Newkirk afterward removed to the west, arriving in Denver on the 5th of
April of that year. He had no acquaintance in the city but he believed that individual
effort and ability would gain him a start, and after a time he obtained a clerkship in
the store of J. J. Joslyn, with whom he was connected until December 31, 1884. At that
date he turned his attention to the life insurance business, becoming a solicitor for
the Washington Life Company, with which he continued until December 31, 1886, or




G. A. NEWKIRK



88 HISTORY OF COLORADO

for a period of two years. He afterward entered the employ of the Mutual Benefit Life
Insurance Company as general agent on the 22d of March, 1887, and has continued in
the position to the present time. He is today in point of time and service the oldest
general agent of the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company of Newark, New Jersey,
and also dean of the insurance business in Denver, and he has built up his agency from
a small business to one of large proportions. He now has an organization in which he
employs twenty-five solicitors and he ranks with the leading insurance men of the
west. His advancement has come as the direct result of his close application, his inde-
fatigable energy and his sound judgment.

In Denver, in 1S92, Mr. Newkirk was united in marriage to Miss Emma L. Milheim,
a native of Denver and a daughter of John Milheim. Politically Mr. Newkirk main-
tains an independent course. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons. He was
made a member of the organization in Fultonville, New York, in 1878 and now belongs
to Union Lodge, No. 7, A. F. & A. M., to the chapter and to Colorado Commandery,
No. 1, K. T. He also has membership with the Denver Athletic Club and the Denver
Motor Club, with the Sons of the American Revolution and with the Denver Civic and
Commercial Association. His interests as thus indicated are broad and varied and
yet more than all else his interest centers in his home and his activities are directed
toward the furtherance of the welfare and happiness of his wife and daughter. To Mr.
and Mrs. Newkirk was born one child, Grace, who is now the wife of Edwin M. Tucker,
of Denver. Mrs. Newkirk is quite an active Red Cross worker. In a word, their aid
and influence are always given on the side of advancement and improvement and they
are continually reaching out a helping hand to assist others. Through thirty-five years
as a resident of Denver Mr. Newkirk has indeed become widely and favorably known
and in the city has a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his
acquaintance.



D. EDGAR WILSON.



D. Edgar Wilson has during the period of his residence in Denver, covering
twenty-two years, gained distinction as a leading lawyer and citizen whose loyalty
and progressiveness in public affairs place him among those who are taking a fore-
most part in the development of Denver. He comes to the west from Baltimore, Mary-
land, where his birth occurred on the 12th of April, 1874, his parents being Dr. David
and Frances O. (Smith) Wilson. The father was born in Martinsburg, Pennsylvania,
March 30, 1825, and after pursuing his early education in the public schools of Bed-
ford county, Pennsylvania, became a student in the Logansport Academy at Logansport,
Indiana, and later in the Washington County Male and Female Seminary at Salem,
Indiana. He was afterward for two years a student in the medical department of
the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia and was later a student at and
graduated with the degree of M. D. from Washington University at Baltimore, Mary-
land, in 1868. He taught in the public schools of Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania,
in early manhood. An earnest desire to become an active force in the work of the
ministry led him to join the Maryland Annual Conference of the Methodist Protestant
church at Baltimore, Maryland, in March, 1845, and he largely devoted his time,
thought and energies to his holy calling. He was first married March 6, 1856, to Annie
M. Zollickoffer, whose death occurred May 29, 1870, and on the 12th of December, 1872,
he wedded Frances O. Smith, who died September 6, 1907. He had four daughters
and two sons: Carrie F.; Annie M., the wife of Major James C. Ord; Jennie F., the
wife of Major Joseph C. Byron; E. Blanche, the wife of Joseph H. Hampson; Daniel
Z.; and D. Edgar. Dr. Wilson was active in the organization of and became one of
the charter trustees of the Western Maryland College at Westminster, Maryland, in
1868. He was elected a representative to the General Conference of the Methodist
Protestant church in 1874, 1877, 1880 and 1896 and was elected to the presidency of
the Maryland Annual Conference for three successive years, beginning in 1874. On
the 17th of June, 1880, he was commissioned post chaplain of the United States army
and retired from active army service March 30, 1890. His last days were passed
in Denver, where his death occurred February 28, 1906. His ability as a preacher,
his tender and effective ministrations in the pastorate, his polished manner, and his
sympathetic soul gave him great power. His character for piety, fidelity to duty and
ability were recognized outside of his own church circles. Companionable, genial,
generous, true, intelligent, any man could feel sincerely grateful whose privilege it
was to number him among his friends. He was a well informed man. He read much.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 89

was conversant with the theological literature of the age, and an author of some
reputation.

In the army he never lost the respect and confidence of the officers and soldiers.
Dr. Wilson did not only win the respect of the men, but his interest in them, his
uniform urbanity, and pleasing manner, won their confidence and their love, and
made him one of the most popular officers in his regiment.

D. Edgar Wilson was the fifth in order of birth in his father's family. He was
reared in the atmosphere of a refined and cultured home and began his education under
private tutors. He afterward attended the Western Maryland College at Westminster,
where he won his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1893. He pursued his university course at
George Washington University of Washington, D. C, and was graduated with the LL. B.
degree in 1S95, while the following year the Master of Laws degree was conferred upon
him. He was admitted to practice in the District of Columbia in the fall of 1896 and
entered upon the active work of his profession in Washington. The following year, how-
ever, he removed to Denver, was admitted to the bar here and has since been in active
practice in this city. His ability and the thoroughness of his work have brought him
connection with much of the important litigation in the courts of the district and his
capability and power are recognized by his colleagues and contemporaries. He has also
figured in business circles of the city as a director of various corporations.



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 11 of 108)