member of the Altar Society and has worked most earnestly for it. At his death Mr.
Slattery left his widow in very comfortable financial circumstances owing to his careful
business management in former years and he also left the priceless heritage of an un-
tarnished name, for in his business dealings he had been straightforward and honorable,
having won creditable success as the years passed by.
LOUIS J. STARK.
For twenty years Louis J. Stark has been a representative of the Denver bar, having
begun active practice in 1899. He was born at Johnson Creek, Wisconsin, May 27, 1873,
and is a son of John and Mary ( (Bieck) Stark, both of whom were pioneers of Wisconsin,
the father following the occupation of farming. He died at Johnson Creek in 1898 and
there the mother also passed away in 1907.
Louis J. Stark was the sixth in order of birth in a family of nine children. He
entered Lawrence University at Appleton, Wisconsin, in his fifteenth year but before
completing the course there, changed to Northwestern College at Naperville, Illinois, from
which he was graduated on the completion of the college course with the class of 1895.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
The degrees of B. S. and LL. B. were conferred upon him by Northwestern College.
Determining upon the practice of law as a life work, he then matriculated in the law
department of the University of Wisconsin in the fall of 1895. Removing to the west,
he entered the law school of Denver University in 1897. At the outbreak of the Spanish-
American war he volunteered for active service as a member of a regiment of Colorado
troops but became ill with typhoid fever and was honorably discharged. After his
recovery he entered upon the practice of law in 1899 and has become a successful mem-
oer of the Denver bar.
On the 23d of April, 1902, Mr. Stark was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Hutton,
of Denver, Colorado, a daughter of John and Mary Hutton. They have become parents
of six children. Ethel, born in Denver in 1903, and Annie D., in 1904, are attending
high school. John H., born in 1906, Louis B., in 1908. and Henry L., in 1910, are all
in the public schools. Meritt W., the youngest, born in 1916 is the life of the household.
Mr. and Mrs. Stark are members of the Unitarian church. He belongs to the Denver
Bar Association. His political endorsement is given to the republican party. In 1912 he
was a candidate for congressman, and in 1916 for the office of district attorney for the
city and county of Denver, but was defeated. In 1916 he served as chairman of the
106 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Booth Charter Committee at the time the present charter was adopted. He has actively-
advocated that the judiciary should be independent of politics and that the judges be
selected by the members of the legal profession. During his practice he was attorney for
the Italian, Austro-Hungarian. German and Mexican consulates, and has also been
connected with many important cases in our courts.
ADOLPH JOSEPH ZAXG.
Time gives the perspective which places every individual in his true position in
relation to the community of which he has been a part, and in the instance of Adolph
Joseph Zang time serves to heighten the regard in which he is held, for it is recog-
nized that his labors have been a most important element in the upbuilding of the
city of Denver and of the state at large. For many years he figured prominently as
a banker and mine owner and, following constructive lines, he built up business in-
terests of extensive proportions. He also acquired large property holdings and was
at the head of the Zang Realty & Investment Company.
A native of Louisville, Kentucky, Mr. Zang was born on the 14th of August, 1856,
a son of Philip and Elizabeth (Hurlebaus) Zang. The father was born in Aschaffen-
burg, Bavaria, Germany, and coming to America in 1853. established his home in
Philadelphia, but the following year removed to Louisville, Kentucky, where he founded
a brewery in 1859, conducting it for ten years under the firm style of Zang & Com-
pany. He then removed to Denver, where he established the Rocky Mountain Brew-
ing Company, and during the period of his residence in this state he recognized and
utilized the opportunities offered by the natural resources of Colorado. He became
one of the founders of the Vindicator Consolidated Gold Mining Company and he
furthermore contributed to the early development of the state through his coopera-
tion and support of many of its pioneer industries.
His son, Adolph Joseph Zang, after acquiring his early education in a private
school in Louisville, Kentucky, conducted by Professor Heilman, went to Germany,
where he spent two years in further study. He made' his initial step in the business
world in connection with the firm of J. Dolfinger & Company of Louisville, dealers in
queensware, and his business enterprise and capability contributed much to the suc-
cess of the undertaking. Attracted to Denver, he became a resident of the city in
1882 and entered into business in connection with his father. Their interests in the
brewing business, however, were sold to an English syndicate in 1889. but the firm
insisted that Mr. Zang remain in the capacity of president and general manager and
he so continued until 1912. However, he was extending his efforts in many other
directions as the years passed and his investments showed the soundness of his judg-
ment and gave proof of his belief in Denver and her future. He was one of the
organizers of the Schlrmer Insurance & Investment Company, which later developed
Into the banking house conducted under the name of the German American Trust
Company of Denver, now the American Bank & Trust Company. He was instrumental
in developing this into one of the foremost financial institutions of the west and
served as one of its directors from the time of its organization until his death, as
well as the first vice president. He was one of the founders of the famous Vindicator
Consolidated Gold Mining Company, operating large and heavily producing prop-
erties in the Cripple Creek district of Colorado, and at the time of his demise was
its president. The town of Goldfield owes its establishment to Mr. Zang, who was
its founder. Extending his activities in mining, he became one of the directors
of the Cresson Consolidated Gold Mining & Milling Company and one of its largest
stockholders. He did much to assist in the legitimate development of the mining
industry, not only in Colorado but throughout the west, and was never afraid to
back his judgment by the investment of his own resources. He made extensive pur-
chases of land in the state and founded the Zang Realty & Investment Company. He
was the owner of one of Colorado's model farms, comprising four thousand acres and
situated only a few miles from Denver. This was devoted largely to the breeding of
pure blooded horses, for Mr. Zang was a true lover of the noble steed and his horses
were exhibited throughout the entire country, winning many blue ribbons. He im-
ported from Prance a number of the finest animals that could be purchased, among
them a Percheron stallion which won prizes at practically every large horse show in
France and the United States.
On the 29th of March, 1881, Mr. Zang was married to Miss Minnie Louise Vogt,
a daughter of William P. Vogt, a jeweler of Louisville. Kentucky, and they became
ADOLPH J. ZANG
108 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the parents of the follo^'ing named. Philip Adolph, who is mentioned at length on
another page of this work; Adolph Frank, vice president of the Vindicator Consolidated
Gold Mining Company, secretary of the Cresson Consolidated Gold Mining Company,
secretary of the Adolph J. Zang Investment Company, director of The Rare Metals
Ore Company and treasurer of The Ferro Alloy Company; Gertrude, the wife of
Charles Leedom Patterson; Minnie Elizabeth; and Louise Adelgunda, the wife of
John Henrj' Morrison.
The family circle was broken by the hand of death on the 28th of September,
1916, Mr. Zang having been taken suddenly ill while on a trip of inspection to the
Vindicator mine. His death was the occasion of the deepest regret because of his
wide acquaintance and his many admirable traits of character. He was a Scottish
Rite Mason, an Elk. a life member of the Denver Athletic Club and was a member
of every civic and commercial organization of Denver, all of which profited by his
cooperation and his public spirit. One of his most marked characteristics was his
love of literature and his taste along that line was most discriminating. His library
was equaled by but few private collections in the United States, either in its size, its
range or in its intrinsic value. A contemporary writer said of Mr. Zang: "He was
essentially and before all else a devoted and home-loving man, domestic in all hig
tastes and neglecting no opportunity to cultivate the beautiful things of life. He
was a (j-ue and liberal philanthropist, never making known his beneficiaries but giv-
ing freely to charities of all kinds. He was most democratic in his attitude toward
all men, a man of imposing stature, lovable and genial to an extreme and loyal not
only to his friends but to the world."
John Gully was one of the representative farmers of Colorado who through well
directed efforts accumulated extensive holdings and in course of time became the
owner of eleven hundred and twenty acres of land in Arapahoe county. His life record
should serve to inspire and encourage others who have to begin business, as he did,
empty-handed. He was born in Tipperary, Ireland, June 24, 1850, and his life activities
covered the intervening years to the 29th of May, 1915. when he nearly had reached
the age of sixty-five years. He was a son of Thomas and Temperance (Powell) Gully
and in 1862 came to Colorado with his parents, this being fourteen years before the
state was admitted to the Union. They crossed the plains with team and wagon, and
Mr. Gully acquired his education in the schools of the mining towns of Central City,
Blackhawk and Silver Plume as the family removed from place to place. When he
was sixteen years of age he went to Tollgate with his parents and there worked upon
the home ranch, assisting largely in the development and cultivation of the property.
When about twenty-one years of age he took up one hundred and sixty acres of land
in Arapahoe county and, as the years passed on, kept adding to his possessions from
time to time, as his financial resources increased, until he accumulated eleven hun-
dred and twenty acres. He engaged extensively in raising live stock and also carried
on dry farming to the time of his death. His methods were practical and his work
was characterized by a progressiveness that brought good results. His sons are now
operating the ranch and are raising wheat and live stock. They have inherited the
industrious spirit of the father and their labors are being attended with excellent
On the 20th of September. 1892, Mr. Gully was united in marriage to Miss Eliza-
beth Clifford, a daughter of Patrick J. and Mary Ann (Maher) Clifford. Mrs. Gully
was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, and was educated in the public schools of that state. She
made progress in her studies and won a teacher's certificate there, after which she
engaged in teaching in Iowa for two years. Later she went to Colorado and taught
for several years or up to the time of her marriage. She proved a capable teacher.
Imparting clearly and readily to others the knowledge that she had acquired. To
Mr. and Mrs. Gully were bom five children: Mary Frances, James Edward, John
Thomas, William Anthony and Elizabeth Alphonese.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church, to which Mr.
Gully always adhered. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party
and on several occasions he was offered the nomination to public office but always
declined. He preferred to give his thought, attention and effort to his business affairs
and by reason of the sound judgment which he displayed in the conduct of his farm-
ing interests he became one of the prominent ranchmen of Arapahoe county. John
no HISTORY OF COLORADO
Gully was a man of striking personality and charm of manner which, endeared him
to those who knew him well. His integrity was unquestioned and in all of his deal-
ings with his fellow men, he applied the principle of the Golden Rule. Coming to
Arapahoe county when that section of the state was practically an unbroken wilder-
ness, he manifested his confidence in the future of the country by meeting the priva-
tions, and even the dangers, with smiling fortitude, and it may truly be said that he
had no small part in the development of Colorado's greatness. Those who knew him,
and he had a wide acquaintance, esteemed him for his sterling worth and when death
called him on the 29th of May, 1915, there were many who deeply regretted his pass-
ing and who yet cherish his memory.
For thirty years — the entire formative period of Denver's school system — Aaron Gove
was in charge of the educational interests of the city. While at the outset of his task
there were other school districts within the limits of the city, District No. 1, of which he
was the head, comprised the greater part of the population. Later he became superin-
tendent of all the merged districts. This was his life work. From the time that he
was three years old until he was sixty-five, with the exception of the period during
which he was a participant in the Civil war, he was never out of a schoolroom. He
not only became one of the great educators of the country, honored in 1S87-8 by the
presidency of the National Educational Association, but proved himself a wise and care-
ful administrator and financial manager.
From 1864 until 1874 he was in charge of the schools at Normal. Illinois. During
that period he was mastering his profession and demonstrating his energy and capacity
at teachers' institutes and on the lecture platform.
In 1874, while on a lecture tour, he received the curt information that he had been
elected superintendent of the Denver schools at a salary of twenty-five hundred dollars
a year. "Kindly wire acceptance" was the laconic conclusion of the message. He wired
that he would "look them over" and incidentally they might "look him over." Not yet
sure that he could get his release from Normal, he made his way to Denver and found
the town was just recovering from a bitter school board quarrel.
On his arrival members of the board kept in close touch with him, hoping that the
story of the quarrel would not reach his ears. But Roger W. Woodbury, then publisher
of the Times, al«o a native New Hampshire boy. finally getting to him, said: "Mr. Gove,
I'm mighty sorry for you. You're undertaking an impossible job." That night, at twelve
o'clock, Mr. Woodbury put the file of the Times under Mr. Gove's eyes, so that he might
learn the entire story of the fight which was still in the air. But there was enough
fighting blood in Mr. Gove to make him feel that the "impossible job" was worth while.
He went back to Normal and asked for a release. He was told that he could not be
spared that year, but he secured his release. In 1874. therefore, he assumed his position
under the law creating the East Denver school district.
Mr. Gove found the district in debt for seventy-five thousand dollars and its fifteen
year bonds drawing twelve per cent, interest in the hands of New England banks. His
first attempt in financing, failed of success. Though the legislature, at his suggestion,
passed a law permitting refunding of school bonds, his offer under the law to the New
England banks to substitute thirty-year six per cent, bonds for their twelve per cent,
holdings failed to persuade his fellow Yankees. But during his entire term of office,
there was but a single further instance of a bond issue to meet a school debt. This was
after congress had given the school district the present East Denver high school site,
compelling the erection of a school building within a year. There was local opposition
to the law and it took two terms of congress to get it through. It was asserted that the
people didn't want the site, but Superintendent Gove, then in Washington, telegraphed
to Robert W. Steele, later chief justice, to send him a petition favoring the measure.
It took the active young attorney less than a week to find a thousand people who wanted
that block of ground. Senators Jerome B. Chaffee and Henry M. Teller saved the day on
the last day of the session. Senator Morrill of Vermont fought hard to defeat it. Dr.
Bancroft, battling for Jarvis Hall and Judge France, believing that the property should
be a park and not a school house site, also lost out. The bond issue provided for the
west wing. In seven years the entire building was completed and when the last nail
•was driven there was not a penny of indebtedness on the structure.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 111
When Aaron Gove came to Denver, his first great fight was to establish tlie high
school grades in the district. Here he demonstrated, at the very outset of his local
career, his capacity for diplomacy. He was a shrewd observer of men, his power in
that direction being above even his rare skill as a schoolmaster and as a manager. There
were four elements opposed to his effort to establish high school grades. The Methodists
were, generally speaking, against the plan. They had just secured a charter for what is
now the University of Denver, but Governor John Evans, who had been with him at
teachers' institutes in Illinois, promised Mr. Gove his support and he kept his word.
Mr. Gove once said: "My reliance was Governor John Evans. When he promised me
that my public high school should not be antagonized, I knew he meant what he said."
He was also opposed by the Episcopalians, who were building up Jarvis Hall, but
stanch friends in that denomination also stood by him. The Catholics also fought him,
but there too he was able to find many broad-minded men who, while they did not wish
openly to assist him, saw to it that the antagonism was not continued. There were in
the community many southerners who had come from sections where the free common
school had never been planted. These, too, he won over; and so at last he established
his high school in the third floor of the school building on the site of what is now the
He had with him for twenty years the best men in the community as members of
his school board. In those years Fred Steinhauer. E. M. Ashley, Peter Gottesleben, L. C.
Ellsworth, Dr. Stedman, K. G. Cooper, George W. Kassler, C. S. Morey and Governor
Grant were wise enough to appreciate the services of a great educational expert and
gave lavishly of their time and ability in the public service. There was no contention.
Progress was rapid and the great school system which ranks among the finest in the
nation was established on a firm and sound foundation.
When in 1904 Mr. Gove gave up his school work, he became identified with the
great sugar industry of Colorado. Here again, his remarkable mind quickly assimilated
what was necessary in those years to successfully maintain that most important enter-
prise. Documents prepared by him for legislative reference have been pronounced
among the ablest presented at congressional hearings.
Mr. Gove was born in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire, September 26, 1839, the son
of John Francis and Sarah Jane (Wadleigh) Gove. He was graduated from the Illinois
Normal University in 1861. Then began his military career. He entered the service of
the United States as a private of Company B, Thirty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry,
September 18, 1861, and was commissioned second lieutenant on the 26th of September.
He became first lieutenant and adjutant on the 6th of September, 1862, and was mustered
in as adjutant on the 12th of December of that year. The regiment was organized at
Camp Butler, Illinois, moved to Ironton, Missouri, September 20. 1861, and was on duty
there until March, 1862. It was sent in the expedition to Fredericktown, Missouri, from
the 12th to the 25th of October, 1861, and participated in a skirmish at Big River Bridge,
near Potosi on the 15th of that month. It was also in action at Fredericktown on the
21st of October. From March until May, 1862, the regiment was attached to the Second
Brigade of the Army of Southeast Missouri and then to the First Brigade of the First
Division of the Army of Southwest Missouri, Department of Missouri, until July, 1862.
It was next at Helena, Arkansas, in the District of Eastern Arkansas, Department of
Missouri, until October, 1862, and afterward with Harris' Brigade, Benton's Division,
Davidson's Army of Southeast Missouri, until January, 1S63. Its next assignment was
to the First Brigade, First Division, District of St. Louis, Missouri, Department of
Missouri, until March, 1863, and to the First Brigade, Fourteenth Division, Thirteenth
Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, until July of the same year. Its next assign-
ment was to the First Brigade, First Division, Thirteenth Army Corps of the Army
of the Tennessee until August, 1863, and afterward to the Army of the Gulf until April
The record of his service has been given in official documents as follows: "Moved
to Reeve's Station, Missouri, March 3. 1862. Steele's expedition to White River, Arkan-
sas, March 23— May 10. March to Batesville, Arkansas, thence to Helena. Arkansas, May
25 — July 14. Action at Hill's Plantation, Cache River, July 7. Duty at and near Helena
till September 1, participating in numerous expeditions. Ordered to Sulphur Springs,
September 1, Friar's Point, September 28. Moved to Pilot Knob, Missouri, thence moved
to Van Buren, Arkansas, November 15. Campaign through southeast Missouri, Decem-
ber 1862. to March 1863. Ordered to Ste. Genevieve. March 5, thence to Milliken's Bend,
Louisiana, and duty there till April 25. Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand
Gulf, April 25-30. Battle of Port Gibson, May 1. Fourteen-Mile Creek, May 12. Battle
of Champion's Hill, May 16. Big Black River Bridge, May 17. Siege of Vicksburg,
.112 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Mississippi, May 18 — July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg, May 19 and 22. Hill's Plantation,
June 22. Surrender of Vicksburg, July 4. Advance on Jackson, Mississippi, July 5-10.
Big Black River July 5. Siege of Jackson, Mississippi, July 10-17. Duty at Vicksburg
till August 20. Ordered to New Orleans, Louisiana, August 20. Duty at Carrollton,
Brashear City and Bervsrick till October. Western Louisiana campaign, October 3 to
November 10. Served detached as aide-de-camp on staff of General C. C. Washburn,
commanding First Division, Eighteenth Corps, October and November, 1863, and as
division ordnance officer on staff of General N. J. T. Dana, January to April, 1864. Ex-
pedition to New Iberia, Louisiana, October 3-6, 1863, and to Vermillion Bayou, October
8-30. Ordered to New Orleans, Louisiana, November 10, thence to Texas, November 12.
Capture of Mustang Island, Matagorda Bay, November 17. Fort Esperanza, November
27-30. Duty at Indianola and Lavacca, Texas, till March, 1864. On veteran leave
March and April. Moved to New Orleans, Louisiana, April 18-29, thence to Brashear
City, May 17, and duty in District of La Fourche till June. Resigned June 18, 1864, and
honorably discharged from service on the strength of a surgeon's certificate. Brevetted
captain and major. United States Volunteers, March 13, 1865, 'For gallant and meritori-
ous services during the siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi.' " '
Nature seems to have designed Mr. Gove for the educational field and the school
system of Denver stands as a monument to his ability and efficiency. Impossible as it
is for most men sixty-five years of age to make a change in their life work, Mr. Gove
accomplished this and became a successful factor in connection with the development
of the sugar industry of the west.
Mr. Gove was married February 13, 1865, to Caroline Spofford of North Andover,
Massachusetts. She died in Denver, September 29, 1916. There were four children of
this marriage, Frank E. Gove, Aaron M. Gove, Mrs. Henry Hanington and Mrs. John G.
McMurtry, all of Denver. In politics Mr. Gove is a republican. He has been commander
of the Loyal Legion, is a thirty-third degree TWason and was for three years grand
commander of the Knights Templar of Colorado. Dartmouth College in 1878 conferred
upon him the degree of Master of Arts and in 1888 he received from the University of
Colorado the degree of LL. D. He is a member of the Denver Club and the University