Club. Now at the age of seventy-nine years, without invidious distinction, he may be
characterized as one of the foremost and honored residents of Denver.
RAYMOND H. TURVER.
Raymond H. Turver, of Denver, who is general sales agent for the Pacific Coast
Shredded Wheat Company, has in large measure that quality which has been termed
commercial sense, but which when analyzed is found to be composed of close applica-
tion, keen sagacity, thorough study of tasks and the capability of reading and under-
standing the men with whom one deals. Possessing all these requisites of successful
salesmanship, Raymond H. Turver has made for himself a creditable position in busi-
ness circles. He was born in Niagara Falls, New York, October 16, 1S80, a son of
Charles Henry Turver, who was a native of England and came to America at the age
of eight years, being apprenticed to a family crossing the Atlantic. Their home was
established in southern Wisconsin and there he was reared and educated.
Charles H. Turver served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's and builder's trade,
which he followed successfully throughout the remainder of his life. In 1874 he became
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
a resident of Rochester, New York, which was his home until 1879, in which year
he removed to Suspension Bridge, now Niagara Falls, where he was engaged in busi-
ness as a general contractor to the time of his death, which occurred November 28,
1910, at the age of sixty-two years. He was active in civic matters and greatly inter-
ested in labor problems and conditions bearing thereon. He was a prime factor in
promoting a bill presented before congress to regulate the importation of Canadian
labor, opposing the course of employing Canadians who resided in their own country
but earned their living across the American border. He was also a champion of various
other measures which he believed would benefit labor and business conditions in this
country. In politics he was an ardent republican but was never an aspirant for office.
He married Stella Harroun, who was born at Niagara Falls and is a direct descendant
of John Quincy Adams and John Adams, two of the presidents of the United States,
and of Captain Abner Adams, who commanded a company in the Revolutionary war
and had charge of a line of forts and communications between Albany, New York, and
the Niagara frontier. Mrs. Turver is still a resident of Niagara Falli. By her marriage
she became the mother of fdiir children, two of whom have passed away, while those
RAYMOND H. TURVER
114 HISTORY OF COLORADO
still living are Raymond H. and Charles Henry, the latter a resident of Lewiston,
Spending his youthful days in the place of his nativity, Raymond H. Turver acquired
his education in attendance at the public and high schools there to the age of eighteen
years and then started out to earn his own livelihood. He first served an apprentice-
ship with the Erie Railroad Company at Niagara Falls as a telegrapher, remaining
there for eighteen months. He was afterward with the New York Central as telegraph
operator and billing clerk, which position he continued to fill until the fall of 1902,
when he entered the employ of the Shredded Wheat Company, accepting the position
of clerk in the filing department. After two months' service he was advanced to the
sales department, being placed in a clerical position, and there he continued for six
months. Being desirous of learning the business in all of its phases and departments,
he was transferred to the branch office at Toronto, Ontario, as office assistant and sales-
man and remained in that city for two years. He then returned to the home office
at Niagara Falls as assistant in the sales department, occupying the position until
190S, when he was promoted to general sales agent of the office at Minneapolis, Minne-
sota, where he successfully and creditably managed the business for the company for
three years. He was then placed in charge of the Denver office, arriving in this city
on the 2Sth of December. 1911. In the intervening years he has developed the business
to a large extent, greatly increasing the trade through his territory, which embraces
Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Jlexico. Throughout practically his entire business
career he has been connected with the Shredded Wheat Company — a fact which is
indicative of his marked ability, trustworthiness and indefatigable energy. Step by
step he has advanced from a humble position, acquainting himself with every phase
of the work that has come under his direction, and today as sales manager for this
district he is controlling a trade of large and growing proportions.
On the 24th of November, 1904, at Niagara Falls, Mr. Turver was married to Miss
Maude E. Cannon, a native of that place and a daughter of William E. and Elizabeth
(Vogt) Cannon, the former now deceased, while the latter is still living. They belonged
to old and well known families of Niagara Falls. Mr. Turver's military experience
covers eight years' service as a member of the Third Regiment of the New York
National Guard at Niagara, with which he served as a non-commissioned officer. He
is an active member of the Warren Methodist Episcopal church and has been a worker
in the Sunday school, having formerly served as secretary. He belongs to the Denver
Civic and Commercial Association and is helpfully interested in all those things which
have to do with the upbuilding of the city. He also has membership in the Denver
Motor Club and the Kiwanis Club, serving as chairman of the membership committee
in the latter. He is likewise an officer in Arapahoe Lodge, No. 130, A. F. & A. M., and
in the Scottish Rite bodies, attaining the thirty-second degree in Colorado Consistory,
No. 1, A. & A. S. R., on the Sth of April. 1915. He is likewise a past councilor of the Junior
Order of United American Mechanics. His has been an active and useful career, charac-
terized by progressiveness and marked devotion to duty whether in business life, in
social connections or in citizenship.
HON. JAMES PHILIP MAXWELL.
Hon. James Philip Maxwell, of whom it is said he has never had a superior as pre-
siding officer in the state senate, has at various times been called upon for public
service although usually it has not partaken of a political nature, and the record of
none has been more faultless in honor, fearless in conduct or stainless in reputation.
Mr. Maxwell was born upon a farm in Walworth county, Wisconsin, on the 20th of
June, 1839, and is a son of James A. and Susan (Vreland) Maxwell. The father was
born in the Empire state in 1814 and passed away in 1892, having long survived his
wife, who died in 1852.
When James Philip Maxwell was seven years of age his parents removed to Bara-
boo, Wisconsin, and there he attended the public schools, remaining a resident of that
city until he reached the age of twenty. His early educational privileges were sup-
plemented by a course in the Lawrence University' of Appleton, Wisconsin, where he
was graduated as a member of the class of 1859. He left his native state in the spring
of 1860, well qualified for life's practical and responsible duties, and with a strong
will to succeed, sustained by the stimulating knowledge of having back of him an
honorable ancestry, while his home training was such as developed admirable traits
of character. His grandfather, Colonel James Maxwell, had been a pioneer of Wal-
HON. JAMES P. MAXWELL
116 HISTORY OF COLORADO
■worth county, Wisconsin, had been chosen, to represent his district in the territorial
legislature and had served with distinction as a colonel in the Wisconsin State Militia.
His father, James A. Maxwell, was a merchant and landowner, who exerted consider-
able influence in shaping public thought and action in Walworth and in Sauli counties
of Wisconsin. In 1860 he removed westward to Colorado and engaged in the sawmill
business at Boulder. He assisted in the construction of a wagon road known as the
Boulder and Blackhawk road and operated it for several years. He was not only
Identified with the material development of his locality but with its moral progress
as well. He was one of the organizers of the Methodist Episcopal church at Boulder
and continued as an active and helpful member and generous supporter thereof until
James P. Maxwell was the eldest of a family of six children and was in his four-
teenth year at the time of his mother's death. His youthful experiences were those of
the farmbred boy but his ideas of life were broadened by contact with the world as
he went out to further his education as a student in the I^awrence University at Ap-
pleton. He pursued a classical course and won the Bachelor of Arts degree upon
graduation with the class of 1859. In 1860 he joined his father in Omaha, Nebraska,
and then traveled across the plains with horses to Denver, where he arrived on the
10th of June after having spent six weeks en route. He made his way to Central City,
afterward to Nevadaville and to Lump Gulch, where he became identified with placer
mining. In the year of his arrival he was elected sheriff of the Gold Dirt District
and occupied that position for one year, subsequent to which time his attention was
given to lode-mining in Leavenworth Gulch. In 1863, however, he entered into part-
nership with his brother-in-law. Captain C. M. Tyler, in the conduct of a lumberyard
on South Boulder creek, where they erected a mill and manufactured lumber, for
which they found a market in Central City, Blackhawk and Cheyenne. Mr. Maxwell
also became the associate of his father in the operation of a sawmill at the mouth of
Four Mile creek and in 1867 removed from South Boulder to Four Mile, but in 1870
became a resident of Boulder. He was thus actively associated with the pioneer de-
velopment of the section in which he lived, becoming identified with the initial busi-
ness enterprises and taking an active interest in promoting progress along various
The personal worth and the marked business and executive ability of Mr. Max-
well caused him to be selected at various times for important public positions. He
served as deputy United States mineral and land surveyor through appointment of
the United States surveyor general of Colorado and in later years has given much
time to survey work of that character, thereby acquiring a very thorough knowledge
of the geography and resources of the state. Having taken up his abode in Boulder,
he was chosen in 1872 to represent his district in the territorial legislature and the
value of his service in that connection was demonstrated in his reelection two years
later. In 1876, following the admission of Colorado into the Union, he became a mem-
per of the first state senate and served as president pro tern during the session o£
1879 and, according to a contemporary biographer, "presided over that body with dis-
tinguished ability. He was thoroughly conversant with the rules and with parliamen-
tary practice. His decisions were prompt, just and impartial, his bearing forceful,
dignified and admirable and the general assembly from first to last has had no su-
perior presiding officer." In 1878 Mr. Maxwell was elected mayor of Boulder and
served as chief executive of the city until ISSO, when he resigned, after which he
filled the office of county treasurer for two years. From 1882 until 1888 Mr. Maxwell
engaged in government surveying in western Colorado and in the latter year was
made state engineer under appointment of Governor Cooper and was continued in that
position until 1893 by Governor Routt. In 1896 he was again elected to represent his
district in the state senate and in the eleventh session was chosen president pro tem.
Private business interests had occupied his attention in the interval prior to 1899,
at which time he was appointed city engineer of Boulder and was regularly elected to
the office in 1900. For about thirty years he continued active in surveying and min-
ing engineering and in 1911 he entered the First National Bank of Boulder as a di-
rector and vice president and in 1912 was elected to the presidency, which position
he still fills. There are many tangible evidences of his public spirit, his devotion to
duty and to the welfare of the state which may be cited. He assisted in obtaining
an appropriation for the State University and while state engineer he had charge of
irrigation, reservoirs, bridge building and roads throughout the state of Colorado.
At different times Mr. Maxwell has directed his efforts into various fields. He
has engaged quite extensively in the cattle business and he was president of the
Silver Lake Ditch Company which in 1S8S began the construction of the highest
HISTORY OF COLORADO 117
irrigation ditch in the country from Boulder canyon. He was instrumental in hav-
ing Silver lake stocked with fish and he became the president of the Steamboat
Springs Company, which laid out Steamboat Springs in Routt county. He also laid out
Maxwell's addition to Boulder, consisting of fifteen acres, and he became the owner
of the Maxwell block in Boulder.
On the 23d of January, 1S63, in Gilpin county, Colorado, Mr. Maxwell was united
in marriage to Miss Francelia 0. Smith, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of N.
K. Smith, who came to Colorado in pioneer times and passed away in Boulder in 1S94.
Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell became the parents of three sons and two daughters: Clint J.;'
Mark N.: Helen F., who died in January, 1899, at the age of thirty years; Maria O.,
who became the wife of Charles R. Burger, who occupies the chair of mathematics
in the School of Mines at Golden, Colorado; and Ray, who died in 1897 at the age of
In politics Mr. Maxwell has always been a republican. Fraternally he is well
known as a Mason, having taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and he belongs to
the Mystic Shrine. He was elected grand commander of the Colorado Grand Comman-
dery of Knights Templar and various other official honors have been conferred upon
him in his Masonic connections. He is likewise a member of the Denver Society and
the American Society of Civil Engineers. His career has been one of eminent useful-
ness and honor. None has ever questioned the integrity of his motives and seldom has
the correctness of his position been doubted. He has labored earnestly and persis-
tently for the right as he has seen it and his work in behalf of the state, its develop-
ment, its upbuilding and its welfare, has been most earnest and effective.
EDWARD J. MORELAND.
Edward J. Moreland, who is engaged in ranching in El Paso county and is also the
manager of the elevator at Peyton, was born December 30. 1S67, in Perry county, Indiana,
a son of James H. and Martha Moreland. The father was a native of Ohio and removed
with his family from Indiana to Olney, Richland county, Illinois, during the early boy-
hood of Edward J. Moreland, who was there reared and educated. In 1885 the latter
went to Kansas and for a short period engaged in freighting out of Garden City, Kansas.
Afterward he was connected witli, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company,
being employed as foreman of the track gang until the road was completed to Colorado
Springs. He then took up his abode at Peyton, where he preempted one hundred and
sixty acres of land and also took a timber claim of one hundred and sixty acres. Later
he purchased other tracts, adding to his place from time to time until his landed posses-
sions now aggregate fourteen hundred and forty acres. The ranch is devoted to general
farming. He raises various crops best adapted to soil and climate and is also extensively
engaged in raising stock, keeping from one hundred to one hundred and fifty head of
cattle upon his place in the winter. In 1917 he raised five hundred and sixty bushels of
beans on a forty acre lot, which is a record crop for dry farming. He is the president
of The Peyton Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company and in this connection is also
conducting a profitable and growing business.
In his political views Mr. Moreland is a socialist. He is a highly respected citizen
of Peyton, active and industrious and a recognized leader among the residents of that
locality, his worth being acknowledged by all with whom he has come in contact.
ELMER E. SCHLOSSER.
Elmer E. Schlosser, attorney at law, was born in Chambersburg, Franklin county,
Pennsylvania, in 1861, a son of Dr. Noah and Katherine (Maxwell) Schlosser, who were
also natives of Franklin county, where four generations of the family had previously
been represented. The ancestral record can be traced directly back to an early period
in the seventeenth century. Dr. Noah Schlosser was a prominent member of the dental
profession for many years. In early life, however, he was a minister of the Methodist
Episcopal cliurch and during the period of the Civil war served as chaplain of his regi-
ment. He afterward took up dentistry, which he followed in Denver from 1883 until the
time of his death, which occurred in 1909, and throughout the entire period was accorded
a liberal patronage, for his marked ability placed him in the front rank among the
ablest members of the profession. His wife survived him for several years, passing away
118 HISTORY OF COLORADO
In Denver in 1914. Their family numbered five children: Dr. Frank G., Maxwell D.,
Elmer E., Mrs. A. D. White and Mrs. Henry W. Spangler, all of Denver.
Elmer E. Schlosser was reared in the place of his nativity and in early life was a
pupil in the public schools of Carlisle. Pennsylvania. Later he became a stenographer
and telegraph operator at Elmira. New York, taking up the work at the age of eighteen
years and continuing active in that line until liis removal to Denver on the 12th of
April, 1883. Here he entered the law office of Pence & Pence, under whose direction he
continued his reading until admitted to the bar in May, 1891. He has since engaged
in active practice and by reason of individual merit and ability has steadily worked his
way upward, being at times connected with much of the important litigation tried in
the courts of his district. He is very careful and painstaking in the preparation of
his cases, is strong and logical in argument and clear in his deductions. He belongs to
the Denver City and County Bar Association and also to the Colorado Bar Association.
On the 31st of January, 1S91, Mr. Schlosser was married in Denver to Miss Gertrude
Ramey, who was born in Indiana county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Thomas C. Ramey, representatives of a prominent old family of the Keystone state.
Mr. and Mrs. Schlosser have become the parents of a daughter, DeRugh, who was
graduated from the North Denver high school and is now the wife of F. E. Brainard.
She was born in Denver in 1899.
In his political views Mr. Schlosser has always been a republican since age con-
ferred upon him the right of franchise but has never been an office seeker, preferring to
concentrate his efforts and attention upon his professional interests, which have con-
stantly grown and developed until he now has a large and distinctively representative
clientage. His legal learning, his analytical mind, the readiness with which lie grasps
the points of an argument, all serve to make him an able advocate and his ability is
combined with an excellent presence, an earnest manner and marked strength of char-
Chris. Irving, prominent in the busy industrial life of Denver, having by honest
dealing and thorough workmanship become a leading figure in the business life of
the community, is now president of the Chris Irving Plumljing & Heating Company,
which is the largest and oldest concern in this line of work in the state, having through
the years of its existence executed many important contracts not only in Denver but
throughout the west.
The life story of Chris Irving is one of earnest endeavor crowned with substantial
success. He was born in Scotland, May 9, 1860, a son of William and Margaret
(Richardson) Irving, who were also natives of Scotland, where they spent their entire
lives, the father passing away in 1869, while the mother died in 1870. There were
three children born of this union, of whom Chris Irving is the only survivor. He
was left an orphan at a tender age. His education was acquired in the schools of
Glasgow, Scotland, but when a youth of only thirteen years he laid aside his text-
books and went to work. He served an apprenticeship at the plumber's trade covering
a term of six years and after having received his papers went to Edinburgh, Scotland,
where he secured a position in his chosen vocation. Eighteen months later he went
to London, England, where he worked at his trade for various prominent iirms through
a period of ten years. While thus engaged he installed the plumbing and heating
plants in many of the most prominent public and private buildings of the city and
these are still doing service.
In 1890 Mr. Irving decided to come to the United States and first located in New
York city, where he remained for eight months. He then made his way westward
to Denver and for two years was employed by various firms but in the meantime was
watching for an opportunity to engage advantageously in business on his own account.
He carefully saved his earnings until his economy and industry had brought to him
sufficient capital to enable him to take the desired step, which was done in 1892. In
many of the large buildings throughout Denver and the state he has installed the
plumbing and heating systems, securing important contracts of this character while
still alone in business and after the organization of the present Chris Irving Plumb-
ing & Heating Company. His work is found in the new Denver Federal building and
post office, also in the State Museum, the Colorado National Bank building and other
of the large and fine structures of the city. One recent contract of the firm Involved
the expenditure of more than two hundred thousand dollars for the plumbing and
120 HISTORY OF COLORADO
heating system in tlie two million dollar Broadmoor Hotel of Colorado Springs.
Their latest contract is for all the plumbing as well as the high pressure steam heat-
ing in the Government Recuperation Camp buildings at Aurora. Colorado, and is the
biggest job of the kind, calling forth the most expert knowledge, experienced manage-
ment, punctilious execution and reliable workmanship with vast resources and exten-
sive facilities, ever performed by a Colorado plumbing firm, and will cost approximately
half a million of dollars. These and many hundreds of other buildings in which their
work is found constitute the testimonial of the ability and prominence of the firm. Their
work is of the highest possible standard and they are alive to every improvement in
the trade and the methods of heating and plumbing installation. The business was
incorporated in 1900 with Mr. Irving as the president, James Flockhart as vice presi-
dent and Stephen J. Slattery as secretary. In addition to his connection with this
important and growing business Mr. Irving is a director of the Merchants Bank.
In 1898 Mr. Irving was married to Miss Annie C. Murray, of Denver. In politics
he maintains an independent course and fraternally he is identified with high degree
Masonry as a member of the various branches of the York Rite and the Mystic Shrine.
He is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is a member
of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association. His high standing along the line
of his chosen vocation is indicated in the fact that he is a valued member of the
Colorado Master Plumbers' Association and in 1913 and 1914 was president of the
National Master Plumbers' Association. Unaided and alone he has worked his way
upward, dependent upon his own resources from the age of thirteen years, careful
analysis of his life history bringing to light the fact that industry has been the broad
foundation upon which he has built his success.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN WOODWARD.
Colorado was fortunate in its pioneers — fortunate in having within its borders in its
early days men who could apply to its development the resources of modern science.
To this class belongs Benjamin Franklin Woodward, to whose skill and energy Colorado
owes the speedy construction of telegraph lines which brought the news of the mo-
ment to its doors, accelerated its trade and thoroughly modernized its communities.
Benjamin F. Woodward was born in Newark, Ohio, June 25, 1834. His father,