characteristics that have constituted the foundation of his later progress and success.
He had courage and he had energy. Moreover, he early recognized the fact that
industry comes out victor and he determined to his own satisfaction that if success
can not be had for the asking it will surrender to persistent and continued effort.
Wherever opportunity has pointed the way he has been quick to see and utilize his
advantages and, step by step, has proceeded along the path to the desired goal and
today figures prominently in banking, commercial and mining circles.
A. L. LOBAN.
A. L. Loban, a highly respected agriculturist of El Paso county, is the owner of
the Blu/f View farm, which is situated in the fertile and scenic Bijou Basin. Its pro-
ductiveness has been greatly enhanced by the care and labor he has bestowed upon
the fields, for in all his farm work he follows the most progressive methods. In its neat
appearance the place indicates his close application and well directed energy and El
Paso county numbers him among her representative ranchmen. He was born August
20, 1865, in Delaware county, Iowa, a son of Andrew and Sophia (Greensleet) Loban,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
the former a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and the mother of Warren, Washington
HISTORY OF COLORADO 129
county, Vermont. The paternal grandfather came to America in 1840 and was the
founder of the family on the soil of the new world.
A. L. Loban acquired a common school education in Iowa and for a number of years
was engaged in the butter business at Webster City, at Randall and at Paullina, Iowa.
He also carried on farming for a number of years in that state, where he remained
until 1900, when he came to Colorado, settling at Boulder, where he was interested in
mining and in the development of oil fields. In 1910 he removed to the Bijou Basin and
purchased eight hundred and eighty-six acres of land, since which time he has success-
fully engaged in farming with the exception of two years spent in Boulder, where he
engaged in tungsten mining. He is the secretary and treasurer of the Wall Street Mine,
located in the central mining district in Nugget Gulch, on what is known as Left Hand.
At the same time he is a most progressive ranchman, having good buildings upon his
place, all of which were erected by him. He has one hundred head of cattle and milks
on an average of thirty-five cows, selling cream.
In 1888 Mr. Loban was united in marriage to Miss Alice Caroline Tatham, of Carroll.
Illinois, who passed away in 190.3. On the 7th of January, 1905, Mr. Loban wedded
Adelyn Louise Tunnell, who was born in Illinois but was reared in Colorado. They have
become parents of eight children: Elizabeth, Homer, Dorothy, Genevieve, Irene, Florence,
Clyde and Edgar. The older ones are attending school.
Mr. Loban is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, having connection with
the lodge at Boulder, and his wife is identified with the Royal Neighbors. In politics
he has always been a republican but is now giving earnest support, as are hundreds of
others of the party, to President Wilson and the policy which he is pursuing in con-
nection with the war. The family attend the Presbyterian church. They are highly
esteemed people of the community, respected for their sterling worth, their many ex-
cellent traits of character winning them high regard and warm friendship.
HARRY C. STEPHENS.
Among the younger bankers of Washington county, Colorado, is Harry C. Stephens,
who as cashier of the Farmers State Bank of Otis represents important financial inter-
ests. He was born in Osage county, Kansas, July 31, 1894, his parents being Preston and
Leona (Slice) Stephens, natives of the Sunflower state. While in Kansas, Preston
Stephens followed agricultural pursuits, remaining in that state until about twenty-
eight years of age, when removal was made to the state of Washington. There he resided,
however, for only nine months and in 1899 went to Yuma, Colorado, where he engaged
in the general merchandise business, so continuing tor a number of years. He still
makes his home in that city but is now connected with the furniture business, being
quite successful in this line and enjoying the confidence and regard of his fellow citizens.
His wife is also living.
Harry C. Stephens was reared under the parental roof and received his education
in Yuma, Colorado, and also in the district schools of Washington county. Having com-
pleted his school work, he decided upon banking as a life work and in 1910 secured a
position as clerk and bookkeeper in the First National Bank of Yuma. His inherent
interest in the work, his close application and his naturally quick perception and
undoubted ability led to his promotion to the position of assistant cashier, which ofiice
he held seven years. In May, 1917, Mr. Stephens came to Otis, considering this a favor-
able field for the establishment of a new bank. After looking over the ground carefully
he decided upon the venture and with others organized the Farmers State Bank. The
institution is capitalized for fifteen thousand dollars and the surplus is placed at seventy-
five ^hundred dollars. Although it has been in existence merely two years, its deposits
already amount to one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars. Thomas P. Rehder
is president and Cloyd C. Fisch vice president. The bank is housed, in a thoroughly
modern, fire and burglar proof building, which was especially erected for the purpose,
and they have occupied the same since July 6. 1918. Besides being cashier Mr. Stephens
is a director of the bank, the affairs of which are practically solely under his manage-
ment. While he follows a conservative policy, protecting to the fullest extent depositors
and stockholders, yet he is progressive and ever ready to render financial aid to those
who desire loans from the institution in order to extend legitimate business interests
of a mercantile or agricultural character. In his section he has become recognized as a
financial authority and is often consulted upon matters of investment, as he is well
informed in regard to stock and bond values and also as to real estate valuations.
On the 14th of October, 1914, Mr. Stephens married Hazel B. Tribbett, daughter of
Vol. rv— 9
130 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Charles and Mary (Gashaw) Tribbett, the former being numbered among the honored
pioneers of Yuma, where he follows agricultural pursuits. His wife passed away in
1910. Mr. and Mrs. Stephens have one child, Dorothy Irene, whose birth occurred
October 2, 1915.
Mr. Stephens readily cooperates in all measures and movements undertaken in the
interest of his community, in the growth of which he is deeply concerned. In his posi-
tion as cashier of the bank he is not only acquiring individual fortune but in large
measure contributes to the development of the town, and his work is therefore of great
importance locally. Along political lines he is independent, supporting the candidates
whom he considers best fitted for office, without being influenced by their party affilia-
tions. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church and fraternally he
belongs to the Knights and Ladies of Security. Since coming to Otis he has made many
friends in the town, for although he has been here but two years, it has taken his
fellow citizens only a short time to recognize in him an able business man who is guided
by the strictest and most honorable principles in the conduct of his affairs and who is
public-spirited and holds friendship inviolable.
OSEE WALLACE HOFFMAN, M. D.
Specializing In the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Dr. Osee
Wallace Hoffman has made for herself an enviable name and place in professional circles
in Denver. She is accorded high rank and standing by her colleagues in the field of
medicine and surgery and her ability is recognized by an extensive clientage. Dr. Hoff-
man is a native of Greene county, Pennsylvania, where her ancestors have lived through
several generations. She is descended from the Mason-Taylor and Jewell families of
Virginia and Pennsylvania, all of whom were prominent in Colonial and Revolutionary
days. Her grandfather, Peter Fry, on the maternal side, was a captain in the War of
1812 and many of her ancestors figure on the pages of American history, and patriotism,
progressiveness and loyalty have ever been numbered among their marked characteris-
tics. While unable to do much active work herself, in our recent conflict, she has done
her bit and members of her family, following in the footsteps of their ancestors, have
given their lives on the field of battle for their country. Her only first cousin is in
active service at the head of a nurses' division in France.
Dr. Hoffman graduated from the Washington Female Seminary of Pennsylvania,
afterwards entering the Laura Memorial Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio. After
completing her medical course she took special clinical work in eye, ear, nose and throat
treatment under the most eminent men of that city and entered upon active practice in
Denver in 1900, where she limited her practice to this special work, becoming the woman
pioneer in the west in this field, and has won for herself a very favorable position in
professional circles of this city. Recognition of her work came to her by her appoint-
ment to the position of assistant clinical professor in the eye and ear department of
Denver Gross Medical College, which position she filled six years.
Dr. Hoffman belongs to the American Medical Association, the Colorado State Medi-
cal Society and the Medical Society of the City and County of Denver. She is a member
of the Young Ladies' Clio Club, the Medical Women's War Service League, the Red Cross
and similar organizations. Her religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. She
works in all the hospitals of Denver and her labors have been of great value to mankind.
AUGUST H. BEUCK.
August H. Beuck, owner of one of Colorado's largest ranches, was born in Kiel,
Holsteia, May 24, 1854, a son of Henry Beuck, a farmer of that section, which at that
time belonged to Denmark. He spent the first fourteen years of his life in his native
country and then came to America, settling in Davenport, Iowa. He there remained
for about two years and in 1870 came to Colorado and soon became interested in the
fine opportunities for cattle raising in Elbert county, making his start in the business
in 1874. By 1876 he had purchased a preemption and proved up on one hundred and
sixty acres of land on the East Bijou in Elbert county. He began raising shorthorns
and Durham cattle and by 1885 had nearly a thousand head of fine stock of those
breeds. August H. Beucli was one of the first cattle owners in the west to experiment
with Pasteur's vaccine for the extermination of blackleg. He has always followed the
AUGUST H. BEUCK
132 HISTORY OF COLORADO
most progressive methods in the care of his stock and the development of his herds.
and his opinions are largely accepted as authority upon stock raising in his section
of the state.
In Central City, Colorado, Mr. Beuck was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Miller
and they have become the parents of two sons, Frederick and Henry Beuck, who now
own and operate the two big ranches in the vicinity of the town of Buick, a station on
the Union Pacific, which was named in honor of the subject of this review. By mistake
the department called it Buick, but steps are now being taken to restore the name to the
intended form of Beuck.
The sons are reputed to be among the most progressive, alert and energetic young
farmers of Elbert county. There is nothing of a modern nature found in the equipment
of the finest farms of the present day that is not to be seen upon their places. The
parents sent the two sons to the Denver schools, where they obtained liberal educa-
tional advantages which have assisted in making them leaders in their line of business
in the county. Henry Otto Beuck, who was born near Agate, March 10, 1883. was
married in Denver on the 20th of March, 1912, to Miss Jennie Matheson, a daughter of
the founder of the town of Matheson. They have become parents of two children,
Janet Rose and Henry Duncan.
In his political views August H. Beuck has always been a republican and in 1889
he was elected to the office of county commissioner, in which position he served con-
tinuously until 1896, making a most creditable record in oflSce. as is indicated by his
reelections. He is ever loyal to the best interests of the community in which he
and he and his sons have made the name of Beuck an honored one in their locality.
JOHN A. McGUIRE.
John A. McGuire, president of the Outdoor Life Publishing Company and also of
the McGuire Printing Company, with office at No. 1824 Curtis street in Denver, was
born in Polk county, Iowa, near Des Moines, April 20, 1S69. His father, the late
Michael McGuire, was a native of Ireland and came alone to America in 1S48, when
sixteen years of age. He immediately took up his abode near Ottumwa, Iowa, where
he was employed at farm labor, and subsequently he removed to Polk county, Iowa,
where he purchased land and engaged in farming until 1881. He then came to Colo-
rado, settling in Denver, at which time he was a traveling representative of John
McConville & Company. For this firm he traveled throughout the central western and
Rocky Mountain states and continued with the house until he reached the age of
sixty years, when he retired from active business and made his home in Denver until
his death, which occurred in June, 1910, when he was seventy years of age. During
the period of the Civil war he was traveling in the south and on several occasions
was arrested by Confederate soldiers on the supposition that he was a spy. He man-
aged, however, to clear himself of the imputation but had considerable trouble. His
religious faith was that of the Roman Catholic church. He wedded Mary McGonigle,
also a native of Ireland, born in 1S45 in Donegal, which was also the birthplace of
her husband. She came to America with her widowed mother, who brought with her
four children. They settled near Ottumwa, Iowa, and it was there that she met and
married Mr. McGuire. She became the mother of seven children, six of whom are
living. In May. 1883, she removed to Colorado and is still a resident of Denver.
John A. McGuire, the eldest of his parents' family, was educated in the public
schools of Des Moines, Iowa, to the age of thirteen years, when his textbooks were
put aside and he entered upon an apprenticeship to the printer's trade with a farm
journal called The Homestead, which is still in existence and is today one of the lead-
ing agricultural papers of the country. He was associated therewith for a year, at
the end of which time his family removed to Denver, and he afterwards completed his
trade with the Denver Inter-Ocean, a weekly paper. In 1887, when he was eighteen
years of age, he became associated with a monthly journal called Sports Afield, which
was the first sporting monthly established in the United States. He was connected
with that paper for five years and his second position was that of foreman of the
printing department, his first position having been that of editor of the cycling depart-
ment, at which time cycling was a very popular sport in America, and Mr. McGuire
became an expert rider, taking part in many racing contests. When he became chief
consul of the Colorado division he headed a committee of four who attended the national
convention of the League of American Wheelmen at Louisville, Kentucky, where they
secured the national meet for the following year. The meet was accordingly held in
134 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Denver in 1894 and on that occasion Mr. McGuire was one of the contestants, but on
the second day of the contest met with an accident which caused him to withdraw.
However, he won in various contests on other occasions in both local and state meets
and was regarded as one of the best riders in the west. In January, 1893, Mr. McGuire
founded the Cycling West, a paper which he published successfully tor five years, at
the end of which time he sold the plant, which was afterward utilized for the publica-
tion of an automobile journal. In 1898, in connection with J. A. Ricker, he established
and published the first issue of Outdoor Life. The partnership continued for. seven
years, at the end of which time Mr. McGuire purchased Mr. Ricker's interests and
since that time has been sole owner of this paper, which is one of the most interesting
sportsmen's magazines published. It has among its writers some of the best known
sportsmen of the country, treating of all kinds of sports with rod and gun, and every-
thing that is of interest to the fisherman and the huntsman. Since taking up the
publication of this magazine Mr. McGuire has won substantial success. He has made
the publication one of great interest to a wide circle of readers who are found through-
out the entire country.
Mr. McGuire has been married twice, first on Thanksgiving evening of 1896.
Through this union he became the father of two children, Gertrude and Harry, aged
respectively twenty and fifteen years. Both were born in Denver. On the 31st of
July, 1909, Mr. McGuire was married in Denver to Miss Lena Pearl Carper, a daughter
of J. P. and Virginia (Hamilton) Carper, who were pioneer settlers of Denver. To
this marriage has been born a daughter, Virginia, whose birth occurred in Denver,
March 28. 1911. The family residence is at No. 500 Franklin street, Denver, and the
property is owned by Mr. McGuire.
In his political views Mr. McGuire is independent. In 1898 he was a candidate
for the state legislature on the republican ticket but was defeated. He belongs to
the Denver Civic and Commercial Club and is interested in all of the plans and projects
put forth for the upbuilding of the city. He belongs also to the Mountain Club and
to all local shooting clubs and he is a member of St. Philomena's Roman Catholic
church. He finds his chief diversion in hunting large game in Alaska, Canada. Mexico
and the western part of the United States and has many splendid mounted trophies.
He is considered an authority on the fauna of the Rocky Mountain region, especially
as to grizzly bears, and he gave to the Museum of Natural History at City Park in
Denver probably the finest group of grizzly specimens in the world. His friends speak
of him as a man of unusually fine personality, of tenacity and clear thinking powers,
who is careful and conservative, very upright and honorable. They mention him, too,
as a gentleman in every way — one who has built up a very successful business by
observance of strict business ethics and also by reason of his genial personality.
William Kumnier resides near Lakewood, just outside of Denver, where he has five
acres of land. Here he is largely living retired, having in previous years followed the
barbering business. He was born in Rheinsberg, Germany, March 14, 1856, a son of Mr.
and Mrs. William Kummer. The father died when his son William was but four weeks
old and the mother passed away when our subject was but a year and a half old,
so that he knows little concerning his parents. His rearing was in charge of the town
until he was fourteen years of age. He then went to Berlin, where he learned the barber-
ing business and for four years he conducted a shop of his own in that city. He left there
on the 28th of December, 1883, thinking to have better business opportunities in the new
world than he could secure in that land. He arrived in New York on the 21st of January,
1884, and for two years worked at his trade. He also conducted a shop of his own for
two years in New York and was proprietor of a barber shop in Brooklyn from 1887 until
1890, having five chairs in his shop. In November of the latter year, however, he started
for the west with Denver as his destination, reaching this city on the 7th of December.
He then opened a shop at No. 1464 South Tenth street, where he remained until 1893,
when he removed to No. 1422 West Colfax avenue, there purchasing a house and building
a shop in front in which he had three chairs. He remained in the barbering business
there until 1907, when he purchased five acres of land in Lakewood and opened a country
grocery store. This he conducted tor three years and during two years of that time
was also exchange manager for the Lakewood branch of the telephone company. On the
expiration of that period he erected a new residence on his five-acre tract and returned
to the barbering business, which he conducted in the Western Hotel for five years. At
HISTORY OF COLORADO 135
the end of that time he retired and is now occupied with looking after the development
and cultivation of his five acres.
Mr. Kummer was married in Berlin, on the 21st of May, 1S80, to Miss Bertha Lehnert
and they have a son, Ernest William, who was born in Denver and is now a mechanic
with the Packard Company of that city. He is of a very studious nature, possesses an
inventive turn of mind and is a young man of whom the parents have every reason to
be proud. He applies himself closely to his business and puts forth every effort to ad-
vance along that line.
Mr. Kummer gives his political allegiance to the republican party, which he has
supported since becoming a naturalized American citizen. He belongs to the Woodmen
of the World and also to Harmony Lodge, No. 61, A. F. & A. M., being a loyal follower
of the craft.
HERBERT SHAW DeSOLLAR.
Herbert Shaw DeSollar needs no introduction to the representative business and
banking fraternity of Colorado. However, a few facts of his life story may prove of
interest. He was born in Beardstown, Cass county, Illinois, July 26, 1855. His parents,
Henry Brown and Jane (Cook) DeSollar, came to America from England in early life,
locating in Beardstown, Illinois. His father conducted under the name of The DeSollar
Carriage & Wagon Manufacturing Company the largest establishment of its kind in
Herbert Shaw DeSollar was one of four children. At the age of seventeen he took
up the profession of teaching, which he followed for four years. Later he graduated with
high honors from the Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois, and was
acknowledged to be one of the finest penmen in the United States. Mr. DeSollar after-
wards engaged in commercial college work and established a chain of business colleges
in various cities in the central states. This work finally brought him to Denver in 1888,
when he founded the Central Business College. The success of this institution needs no
comment, as hundreds of Colorado's leading young business men and bankers are its
graduates. In 1906 he retired from commercial college work and since then has devoted
most of his time to the real estate and investment business. His activities reached a
climax when he successfully concluded two real estate transactions which entailed two
of the highest commissions ever paid in Denver.
On July 26, 1885, Mr. DeSollar was married to Miss Hattie May Le Brun, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Julian Albert Le Brun, of Chicago, Illinois. Their only child, Hattie
Jeannette DeSollar, now the wife of Horace H. Brooks, was born in Denver. She acquired
her education in the Wolcott School for Girls and later at the Girls' Collegiate School of
Los Angeles. California.
In politics, Mr. DeSollar maintains an independent course. He belongs to different
organizations of the city and is a prominent Mason.
EVAN THOMAS EVANS.
Evan Thomas Evans, whose landed possessions in Elbert county are most extensive,
was born at Pen y Groyes, Wales, in June, 1859, his parents being Thomas and Mary
Evans. On leaving the little rock-ribbed country of Wales they crossed the Atlantic
to the Holland Patent in New York, our subject being at that time a youth of fourteen
years. Within a brief period the family removed westward to Red Oak, Iowa, and
there Evan T. Evans successfully followed farming until 1903, when he removed to
Elbert county, settling on his present large ranch. The removal was made on account
of the health of one of his children.
It was in 18S6 that Mr. Evans was united in marriage in Plainfield, New York, to
Miss Eleanor Perry and they became the parents of six children, Roy, Mamie, Lillie,
Gilbert, Elsie and Perry. The youngest is now at Camp Fremont, California, being a
private in an infantry regiment.
As the years have passed Mr. Evans has concentrated his efforts and attention upon
his farming interests, adding to his possessions as his financial resources have increased