until he is now the owner of eighteen hundred acres of the richest land in Elbert
county, situated on the outskirts of the town of Elizabeth. He still owns the three
eighty acre tracts that he farmed in Iowa and he is reputed to be the most prosperous
MR. AND MRS. EVAN T. EVANS
EVAN T. EVANS' RANCH
138 HISTORY OF COLORADO
farmer of Elbert county. His methods have at all times been practical and progres-
sive and the neat and thrifty appearance of his places is an indication of his undaunted
spirit and his thorough familiarity with the most advanced ideas of modern agriculture.
Mr. Evans is a member of the Presbyterian church and takes a deep interest in
its affairs. He has been an elder for the past fifteen years, has served as a director
on the school board for fifteen years, and is secretary of the Elizabeth high school,
doing everything in his power to promote moral and mental growth and extend edu-
cational influence. His aid is always given on the side of progress and improvement
and his cooperation can be counted upon to further any movement for the general
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
WILLIAM RAYMOND SANDERSON, M. D.
Dr. William Raymond Sanderson, who in young manhood qualified for the practice
of medicine and for many years has been identified with cattle raising in Colorado,
making his home at the present time near Kuhns Crossing, was born in December, 1857,
near Druid Hill Park in Maryland. His father was Thomas Sanderson, whose father
removed from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to Frederick, Maryland, where Thomas Sander-
son was born. Representatives of the family in the fifth generation are now living upon
a part of the old family homestead in the east.
William Raymond Sanderson was educated in the famous Lawrenceville, New Jer-
sey, school under the celebrated teacher. Dr. Samuel M. Hamill. In preparation for a pro-
fessional career he entered the University of Maryland at Baltimore and after complet-
ing his course was for a time one of the resident physicians of the Baltimore City Alms-
house. He came to the west in 18S2 and associated himself with his brother, John P.
Sanderson, in the live stock business.
In the '80s, when Dr. Sanderson removed to Elbert county and engaged in the cattle
business, it was followed by such leading men of the state as Governor Routt, Governor
J. A. Cooper, Finis P. Ernest, W. H. H. Cranmer and Dewey C. Bailey. Dr. Sanderson
purchased his first herd of cattle from the late Senator Frank T. Cochrane. Through-
out all the intervening years Dr. Sanderson has been engaged in the cattle industry.
Dr. Sanderson was for a time coroner of Elbert county, which is the only public
office that he has ever held. Notwithstanding his desire to keep out of office, he has
been a potent factor in promoting public progress and improvement through his support
and endorsement of every measure for the general good. He believes that public office
is a sacred trust and strongly advocates enfranchisement of women. His brother's son,
John P. Sanderson, Jr., is a first lieutenant in France, where he was heroically fighting
for the democratization of the world.
RUSSELL HARRIS FORBES.
Russell Harris Forbes, confidential secretary to Verner Z. Reed, a Denver capitalist,
with offices in the city of Denver, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, December 12, 1885. The
family comes of Scotch ancestry and was founded in America by the grandfather of
Russell H. Forbes, who on crossing the Atlantic in 1837 took up his abode in Ashland
county, Ohio. The Forbes family has been represented in the Buckeye state from
pioneer times. Henry William Forbes, father of Russell H. Forbes, was born in
Cleveland, Ohio, and was a son of Alexander Forbes, who at the time of the discovery
of gold in California crossed the plains to the Pacific coast in 1849 and was there
engaged in mining. In Cleveland he became a pioneer contractor and builder and con-
tinued to make his home in that city until his death, which occurred in 1914, when he
had reached the advanced age of ninety years. His son, Henry William Forbes, followed
mercantile pursuits first in Cleveland and afterward in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and
in Chicago, Illinois, his death occurring in 1901, at the early age of forty-five years.
In young manhood he had wedded Miss Anna M. Schermerhorn, a native of Albany,
New York, and a descendant of one of the old families of the Empire state — a family
coming of Dutch ancestry. The line is traced directly back to the early seventeenth
century and after the emigration to the new world members of the family took active
part in the work of colonization and participated in the Revolutionary war, and Mrs.
Forbes is now connected with the Daughters of the American Revolution. She still
HISTORY OF COLORADO 139
makes her home in Cleveland. To Mr. and Mrs. Forbes were born two children, the
daughter being Myrtle H., now the wife of Chester T. Brackett, a journalist of Cleveland.
Russell H. Forbes, the only son in the family, pursued his education largely in the
public schools of Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, and in the University of Wisconsin. At
the age of eighteen years he took up the profession of civil engineering and in 1904
removed to the west, going first to New Mexico. He followed civil engineering in
connection with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad and afterward came to
Denver, where he arrived on the 1st of May, 1906. He immediately entered upon pro-
fessional activity in this state and continued exclusively in that field of labor until
1912, when he started to practice his profession independently. But hard times came
on and general business conditions were poor, so that he abandoned his oflice and
became an engineer for railroads and mining companies. He next took up journalism
and from 1912 until 1914 was a reporter on the Denver Post. While engaged in news-
paper work he was a strong advocatei of the good roads movement in Colorado and
spent considerable time and effort in the early development of public opinion along that
line and the projects connected with the improvement of the thoroughfares, instituting
much work that has since accomplished splendid results. In 1914 Mr. Forbes became
connected with Verner Z. Reed, taking charge of a campaign which Mr. Reed organized
and financed to improve market conditions for the fruit growers of the state and which
was continued until 1915. On the 1st of January, 1916. Mr. Forbes entered Mr. Reed's
oflice as assistant secretary and three months later was made his confidential secretary,
which position he has since filled. He is also a director of the Mid-West Oil Company
and a member of other corporations of which Mr. Reed is the principal stockholder.
On the 2d of February, 1910, Mr. Forbes was united in marriage in Denver to Miss
Rose R. Lowrie. a native of Nashville, Tennessee, and a daughter of Harold W. and
Rosa (Redford) Lowrie, who are representatives of old Carolina and Tennessee families.
To Mr. and Mrs. Forbes have been born four children: Elizabeth A., born in Denver,
April 7, 1912; Robert H.. August 22, 1913; Rose Myrtle, June 20, 1916; and Margery,
July 30. 191S. •
In politics Mr. Forbes maintains an independent course. In 1917 he was appointed
on the commission of conciliation by the United States department of labor, being one
of the dollar a year men in maintaining conditions which contribute much to the
successful prosecution of the war. Mr. Forbes is a member of St. Mark's Episcopal
church and his chief diversion comes through hunting, fishing and motoring. He is a
lover of all phases of outdoor life and when leisure permits spends his time in that way.
Merit and ability have brought him prominently to the front in business connections
and his worth is widely acknowledged by those with whom he has been brought in
contact. His vision is broad, his sagacity keen and his judgment sound.
Frank Purse, engaged in the dairy business on Rose Hill at Aurora, selling only
to the wholesale trade, was born at Grey Abbey, in County Down, Ireland, a son of
John and Jane (Lemon) Purse. His education was acquired in his native country
and he came to the United States when about seventeen years of age. thinking to have
better business opportunities in the new world. He arrived in Denver about 18S5 and
not long afterward entered the dairy business in what was then Arapahoe but is new
Adams county. He remained there for a few years and subsequently purchased fifteen
acres on Rose Hill, where he continued in the dairy business, in which he has since
been engaged. He is one of the well known dairymen of this section of the state and
has conducted his interests along progressive, modern and scientific lines. He retailed
milk about fifteen years but now sells only to the wholesale trade. He has a well
equipped dairy, thoroughly neat and sanitary in every department, and he keeps cows
of high grade.
On the 21st of March, 1900, Mr. Purse was married to Miss Mabel McDonald, a
daughter of Asa B. and Nancy J. (Dillon) McDonald. The father was a contractor
of prominence in his chosen line of business and was the builder of the Adams county
courthouse, the Arapahoe county courthouse and the residences of John F. Campion,
J. S. Brown, C. S. Morey and a number of the palatial homes of the more prominent
people of this section of the state. Mrs. Purse was born and reared in Cleveland, Ohio,
and by her marriage has become the mother of a daughter, Elizabeth Frances Jane.
Fraternally Mr. Purse is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America. In
politics he is a republican and regards it as the duty as well as the privilege of every
140 HISTORY OF COLORADO
true American citizen to exercise his right of franchise in support of the
which he believes. He served for four years as county commissioner of Adams county
and made an excellent record by his fidelity to the trust reposed in him. He is always
loyal to the best interests and to everything that has to do with the welfare and
progress of his district. His business career has been a most active one and his close
application and Indefatigable energy have been strong points in the attainment of that
measure of prosperity which he is now enjoying.
A. H. FRERICHS.
A. H. Frerichs, cashier of the Stockmen's National Bank of Brush, Colorado, was
born in Talmage, Nebraska, in November, 1886, a son of Theodore and Mary (Teten)
Frerichs, who were pioneers of Otoe county, Nebraska, to which place they removed
about 1878. The father is a banker there and has devoted his entire life to the banking
business, his present connection being that of cashier of the Bank of Talmage, and
he is also the president of the Stockmen's National Bank of Brush. He has had much
to do with the commercial and financial upbuilding and development of the section
of the state in which he lives and his energy has brought substantial results. His
wife passed away in April, 1908.
A. H. Frerichs was reared in Talmage, Nebraska, pursuing his education in the
schools of that place and of Omaha. His connection with Brush dates from 1907,
when he came to Morgan county to accept the position of assistant cashier of the
Stockmen's National Bank. A few years later he and his father purchased the con-
trolling interest In this bank and in 1911 A. H. Frerichs was made cashier. This bank
is capitalized for thirty-five thousand dollars and has a surplus and undivided profits of
twenty-five thousand dollars, while its deposits have reached four hundred thousand
dollars. The bank is in excellent condit^ and its business is steadily growing.
In 1908 the Stockmen's National Bank erected a modern bank and office building on the
main street of the town.
Mr. Frerichs was married in October. 1908, to Miss Blanche Puffer and to them
has been born a daughter, Dorothy D.. whose birth occurred in August, 1909. In
religious faith Mr. and Mrs. Frerichs are Presbyterians, loyally supporting the church
in all of its branches of work and contributing liberally to its support. Fraternally
Mr. Frerichs is connected with Lodge No. 1143, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and
his political allegiance is given to the republican party, which finds in him a stalwart ad-
vocate. He is the present mayor of Brush and his administration is marked by notable
devotion to the public welfare, with practical methods for the achievement of his pur-
poses. Moreover, Mr. Frerichs is actively engaged In war service work, ably assisting
in promoting all measures of the government in order to make the world safe for
democracy and is now serving as member of the Morgan County Council of Defense and
as vice chairman of the local Red Cross organization.
Ellis Huntsman, actively, successfully and extensively engaged in farming in Elbert
county, was born in Noble county, Indiana, March 27. 1885, a son of Riley and Sarah
(Belli Huntsman, both of whom are representatives of old colonial families. They
are now residents of Colorado Springs and Mr. Huntsman of this review puts forth
every effort to make them comfortable and happy in their declining years, thus repaying
them by filial devotion for the love and care with which they surrounded him in his
Ellis Huntsman was educated in the public schools to the age of sixteen years, and
accompanied his parents to Colorado, arriving in this state in 1898. The family home
was established in Elbert county, in what is generally known as the Divide district,
and since that time -the members of the family have been substantial citizens of this
state. His brother, L. E. Huntsman, has one hundred and sixty acres adjoining the
property of Ellis. He is married and has a pleasant home on the Divide. Another
brother is the head of the H. C. Huntsman Mercantile Company at Matheson. Colorado,
and a sister is the wife of O. S. Keysor, a large land holder of this district.
Ellis Huntsman is devoting his time and energies to the development of what is one
of the best farms of the county, comprising five hundred and twenty acres. This he has
A. H. FRERICHS
142 HISTORY OF COLORADO
acquired and converted into a valuable property, employing the most modern and pro-
gressive methods in the cultivation of the fields, while all modem improvements are
found upon the place. An air of neatness and thrift pervades the farm and gives indica-
tion of the practical efforts of the owner.
GEORGE A. MITZE.
George A. Mitze, a farmer and stock raiser successfully carrying on business in
Adams county, Colorado, was born in Kansas on the 29th of November, 1873. His
parents, George and Elizabeth Mitze, were natives of Germany, who came to America
in the '50s, at which time they located in Peoria, Illinois. They afterward removed
to Kansas, where they resided until 1874 and then came to Colorado, settling on a
farm in Denver county, where they spent their remaining days. They had a family
of five children, three of whom are living.
George A. Mitze was reared and educated in Colorado, pursuing his studies in the
public schools. After his textbooks were put aside he took up farming on his own
account, having been reared to that occupation, so that he brought practical experience
and knowledge to the beginning of his business career. After a time he purchased his
present farm, comprising one hundred and ninety-five acres of good land, a part of
which is under ditch. He has improved his place with one of the finest homea in
the county and upon his land are found large and substantial barns and outbuildings,
furnishing ample shelter to grain and stock. Everything about the place is indica-
tive of his progressive spirit and practical methods and the results which he achieves
are most gratifying.
In 1900 Mr. Mitze was united in marriage ta Miss Mary Bukoutz, a native of
Kansas, and to them have been born six children: Mary E., Albert H., Bertha H.,
William A., Emma C. and Clara Alice. Mr. and Mrs. Mitze are members of the
Lutheran church, and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party. They
are highly esteemed in the community in which they make their home and enjoy
the warm-hearted hospitality which is cordially extended to them by their many
friends. Mr. Mitze has devoted his entire life to agricultural pursuits and is num-
bered among those who have made this district a most productive and prosperous one.
Charles Hoeffer, a resident farmer of Adams county and proprietor of the Alpine
Creamery of Denver, was born in Germany, October 28, 1859, a son of John Hemry
and Mary (Dick) Hoeffer, who were natives of that country, where they spent their
entire lives and there reared their family of thirteen children, seven of whom are
living. John Henry Hoeffer was for fifty years a teacher in Germany, his home being
at Birk, in the government district of Siegburg on the Rhine.
Charles Hoeffer spent the days of his boyhood and youth in Germany, where he
attended public school. He came to America in 1878, when a youth of nineteen years,
and first settled in Tipton, Missouri, where he remained for two years. He then came
to Georgetown, Colorado, where he engaged in mining, and in 1881 he purchased the
farm in Adams county upon which he now resides. Taking up his abode upon this
place, he bent his energies to its development and cultivation and has lived thereon
throughout the intervening period save for six years when he was a resident of Denver,
during which time he conducted a meat market in that city. Tiring, however, of city
life, he returned to the farm and has since given his efforts and attention to its man-
agement, while he is also operating the Alpine Creamery of Denver, of which he is
the owner and from which source he derives a very gratifying revenue.
In the year 1883 Mr. Hoeffer was married to Miss Katherine Summerhauser, a
native of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Hoeffer became the parents of four children: Kath-
erine, who is conducting a hotel at Limon, Colorado; Mary, ia business in Limon;
Elizabeth ; and Charles, who is living in Denver. These children were born of Mr.
Hoeffer's first marriage and the wife and mother passed away in 1892. In 1900 Mr.
Hoeffer was again married, his second union being with Miss Amelia Frederici and they
became the parents of four children: Amelia G., at home; Gertrude, who is teaching
school; Henry, who is attending Sacred Heart College; and Helen, who is also in
HISTORY OF COLORADO 143
Sacred Heart College. Again Mr. Hoeffer was called upon to mourn the loss of his
wife, for In 1914 Mrs. Amelia Hoeffer passed away.
Mr. Hoeffer is a member of the Catholic church and In his political allegiance has
given support to the democratic party, but has never been an office seeker. He now is
a valued member of the Grange and belongs to the Farmers Non-Partisan League. His
entire time and attention have been concentrated upon his business affairs and the
careful direction of his farming and creamery interests has brought to him the success
which is now his.
JAMES N. CALDWELL.
James N. Caldwell is the president of the Colorado National Investment Company
of Denver and one in whose career the spirit of western enterprise and progress finds
exemplification. He is a western man by birth, by training and by preference. The
strong appeal of opportunity has never been unheeded by him and throughout his
entire life hs has been identified with mining interests, which have constituted one
of the chief sources of the wealth of the west. He also now largely handles stocks,
bonds and land and is one of the prominent investment men of penver.
Mr. Caldwell was born in Laramie, Wyoming. November 18, 1876. His father,
Isaac P. Caldwell, was a native of Pennsylvania, where his ancestors had lived through
several generations. The family is of English origin and was founded in America soon
after the Revolutionary war. Isaac P. Caldwell was reared and educated in Fayette
county, Pennsylvania, and prior to the Civil war removed westward to Richmond,
Missouri. There he engaged in the practice of law for many years and served as judge
of the probate court. During the period of hostilities between the north and the
south he served in the quartermaster's department of the United States army and was
stationed in New Mexico. After the war was ended he removed to the west, becoming
a resident of Laramie. Wyoming, and was actively associated with many interests which
have had marked bearing upon shaping the history of that state. He was connected
with Senator Clark and Mr. Corlett in framing the constitution of Wyoming and he
figured as a very prominent official, lawyer and citizen of that state. He served as a
member of the general assembly and was for several terms mayor of his city. In addi-
tion to the practice of law he had other business interests, being the active president
of the Albany County National Bank. His aid and influence were ever on the side of
progress and improvement, and Laramie and the state benefited much by his efforts.
At the time of the widespread financial panic of 1S93 he removed to Denver, where he
continued to make his home throughout his remaining days, his death occurring in
Not ember. 1916, when he had reached the advanced age of eighty-two years. He had
acquired his education in the University of Virginia and that institution had con-
ferred upon him the LL. B. degree. In politics he was a stanch republican, laboring
•untiringly to advance the interests of his party in state and national elections. His
religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church. He was a man who commanded
and enjoyed the respect, confidence and honor of those who knew him. In early man-
hood he wedded Sarah Margaret Catlett, a native of Kentucky and a representative
of one of the old families of that state. The town of Catlettsburg is named in honor
of her grandfather, who was of French descent and who was one of the pioneer resi-
dents of Kentucky. Mrs. Caldwell survives and yet makes her home in Denver. By
her marriage she became the mother of three children. Marion, Jennie B. and James N.
The last named attended the public schools of Laramie and also the University
of Wyoming and at the age of nineteen he started out in the business world, entering
upon active connection with mining interests of Colorado. In this business he is still
actively engaged although his attention is now largely given to stocks, bonds and
land, which he handles under the name of the Colorado National Investment Company.
Thoroughness characterizes all that he undertakes and his indefatigable effort, his
close study of business conditions and his progressive and thoroughly reliable methods
have constituted the fundamental forces in his career in the attainment of his present
On the 27th of March. 1907, Mr. Caldwell was married in Kansas City. Missouri,
to Miss Ada L. McAfee, a native of Kansas and a daughter of James McAfee. They
have become parents of two daughters: Laura Margaret, born in Denver, December 24,
1911; and Virginia, born in Denver, June 24, 1913.
The family reside at Willow Grange on Josephine street in an attractive home
which is owned by Mr. Caldwell. He finds rest, recreation and interest in his war
144 HISTORY OF COLORADO
gardening and he also turns for diversion to hunting, fishing and motoring. His
political allegiance is given to the republican party and his religious faith is that of
the Divine Science church. His military experience, following his two years' mili-
tary training while in the University of Wyoming, covers three years in the Colorado
National Guard as sergeant in the Signal Corps. He stands as a high type of American
manhood and citizenship, ever interested in the welfare and progress of his community
and his country and thoroughly alive to the duties and obligations of every loyal
J. G. WINTERMEYER, M. D.
Dr. J. G. Wintermeyer. a practicing physician of Denver, was born in Manitowoc,
Wisconsin, July 7, 1865. a son of August and Elizabeth (Schoupf) Wintermeyer. The
father was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, but came to America when a lad of only
thirteen years. The mother's birth occurred in Bavaria, Germany, and she, too, was
thirteen years of age when she crossed the Atlantic. Valentine Wintermeyer, the
grandfather, established his home in Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming, and he
was also well known as a literary writer and poet. He died in Chicago. Illinois, in 1908.
His son, August Wintermeyer, was reared in Wisconsin and took up the occupation of
farming. He came to Colorado and resided in Elizabeth to the time of his demise, which
occurred in 1913, when he had reached the age of seventy-six years. His widow still