Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 19 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 19 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

occupies the old homestead there. They were the parents of eight children: Mrs. Ida
Nelson, Emma, Mrs. Elmer Green, Mrs. Louise Vogelsang, Julius, Oscar, J. G., and one
who has passed away.

Dr. Wintermeyer pursued his early education In the graded schools of Wisconsin
but on account of the condition of his health was obliged to leave school. He after-
ward attended a business college in Chicago, from which he was graduated and then
went again to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, where he spent a year in a general store. He
was suffering, however, from asthma and his health failed rapidly. He therefore sold
out his business in Manitowoc and on the advice of his physician removed to Colorado
Springs in 1887. There, after partially recovering his health, he entered into the whole-
sale fruit and produce business and while thus engaged he also did whatever he was
able for the benefit of the community. He was chosen a delegate to the Lutheran con-
ference at Baltimore, where he was in close consultation with the head of the Lutheran
church in America. He was sent to Baltimore at his own request to secure for Colorado
Springs a church and pastor, but the purpose of the trip proved unavailing, as he
received very little encouragement. After his return, however, he persevered in his
efforts, assisted by two or three others, who finally gave up the struggle to secure
a church. Dr. Wintermeyer then continued alone and eventually was able to obtain
a lot for the purpose for which he so persistently labored. He then renewed his
efforts, which ultimately resulted in the building of the present fine Lutheran church
at Colorado Springs, a church which is the direct result of the untiring labor and
consecrated zeal of Dr. Wintermeyer. He also did much other work for the benefit
and upbuilding of the community while a resident of Colorado Springs, but his old ail-
ment returned, and on the advice of a prominent physician of that place, he began to
study his own condition and at the same time he entered the Gross Medical College of
Denver, having disposed of his business interests at Colorado Springs. He was
graduated in medicine in 1896 and his wife. Mrs. Thurza Wintermeyer, was a member
of the same class, being now a registered and well known physician of Denver. To-
gether they began practice. Dr. Wintermeyer had closely studied the disease of asthma
and felt that he had attained a high measure of proficiency in treatment of such cases.
He decided to begin his professional life in a smaller town than Denver and removed
to Laramie, Wyoming, where for two years he continued in active practice. While
there he met an old and prominent member of the medical profession who had per-
fected a relief for asthma but not a permanent cure. He disclosed his theories and
ideas to Dr. Wintermeyer, who, recognizing their value, began working out along the
same line, combining the practitioner's knowledge with his own experience and the
knowledge which he had acquired in college. He worked upon his own case first and
found that in a short time his asthmatic condition had entirely disappeared and that
he had finally effected a permanent cure. His discovery became known and patients
flocked to him from various parts of the country to consult him concerning their ail-
ment. He has since effected many cures of the most obstinate cases and he now has
an established and well merited reputation for most efficient work in this branch of
medical practice. Mrs. Wintermeyer also practices medicine and is well known la



HISTORY OF COLORADO 145

this connection. In 1898 they returned to Denver and have since been located in their
beautiful home at No. 3409 West Thirty-second avenue.

It was on the 26th of August, 1894, that Dr. Wintermeyer was married to Miss
Thurza Young, of Kansas, a daughter of Robert and Lucy Young, the former a Civil
war veteran from Kansas. Mrs. Wintermeyer is widely known because of her activity
in women's organizations. She is clerk of Highland Circle, No. 98, of the Neighbors of
Woodcraft, a position which she has occupied for eighteen years, and in this connection
she has worked up the membership from forty to five hundred. She is now filling the
position of grand magician of the Grand Circle of the Women of Woodcraft and she is
identified with the Independent Order of Foresters, the Royal Neighbors and the
Modern Brotherhood of America. Dr. J. G. Wintermeyer has membership with the
Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, the Neighbors of Woodcraft,
the Court of Honor, the Sons of Herman, the Bavarian Society and several other
organizations. In politics he maintains an independent course.

Besides his city property Dr. Wintermeyer is the owner of two fine ranches, one
of which he leases. This is located near the city of Golden. The other he operates on
his own account as a dairy and stock ranch and it is situated at Deertrail, Colorado,
not far from Denver. Both are valuable properties and are the visible evidence of
his life of well directed energy and thrift. Dr. Wintermeyer, in his perfection of an
asthmatic cure and in his work for the church, has made his life of great usefulness
and benefit to his fellowmen and Denver numbers him among her well known and
skilful physicians.



EDWARD PRENTISS COSTIGAN.

Edward Prentiss Costigan, named a member of the United States tariff commission
on March 21, 1917. is a leader in the group of younger Coloradoans, who have in recent
years claimed national attention.

Edward P. Costigan, born in King William county, Virginia, is a son of George
Purcell and Emilie (Sigur) Costigan. Both the father and mother have been prominent
in Colorado affairs. The family removed to this state from Ohio in 1877, locating at
Lake City, in the southwestern part of Colorado, there remaining for about a year.
They thence removed to Ouray, where they resided for about five years, and when San
Miguel county was created the father, George P. Costigan, was appointed by Governor
Grant the first judge of that county. He was subsequently twice elected to the same
position in Telluride. Both he and his wife, Mrs. Emilie Costigan, were interested in
mining. They became the owners of the Belmont mine, which was subsequently sold
to an English company. The property has since been expanded into the Tomboy mine
of Telluride. The Belmont was originally thought to be a silver lode. Mrs. Costigan
first acquired an interest in it and she and Judge Costigan were developing it when its
gold values were discovered. Judge and Mrs. Costigan make their liome in Denver,
although the Judge witli unabated interest and energy is engaged at present in mining
in Mono county, California, near the Nevada line. Judge Costigan is a well known
Mason, and Mrs. Costigan is prominent in the Denver Woman's Club and similar centers
of activity and influence.

George Purcell Costigan, Jr., another conspicuous member of the family, was
formerly for a time a law partner of Edward P. Costigan, and became later dean of
the Nebraska State Law School at Lincoln. He is now a professor in the law department
of Northwestern University at Chicago, Illinois: and is the author of several legal
works, including "Costigan's Mining Law." and "Legal Ethics," which have attracted
wide attention.

Edward P. Costigan was educated in the schools of Denver, was admitted to the
bar in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1897, and graduated from Harvard University in 1899.
In 1900 he began practice in Denver and immediately took part in reform politics. In
1902 he was declared elected a member of the Colorado house of representatives, a
contest preventing his assuming his seat during the session. At this early period in his
career he became one of the leaders in the movement for honest elections, a fight that
continued for over a decade. During and after 1906 he was attorney for the Honest
Elections League and from 1906 until 1908 for the Law Enforcement League.

In the midst of his general law practice Mr. Costigan acted as legal adviser In the
fight for a local option law, which was finally sustained in the supreme court of the
state. In 1910 he was chairman of the Dry Denver Committee in its Denver campaign.
He was among the leaders of a newly organized Direct Primary League and a Direct

Vol. IV— 10



146 HISTORY OF COLORADO

Legislation League of Colorado in their successful efforts to adopt the constitutional
amendments and laws indicated by the names of these organizations. In this period
he was also president of the Civil Service Reform Association of Denver; and in 1912
he helped organize the citizen's party, which carried the municipal election of that
year. Later when the progressive party was organized, he was its Colorado candidate
for governor both in 1912 and in 1914. His association with many reform movements
indicates his standing upon questions of vital interest to his community and state.

In his practice Mr. Costigan on different occasions represented the Denver Chamber
of Commerce and Arizona commercial organizations in freight rate litigation before
the Interstate Commerce Commission. In 1914, at the time of the congressional investi-
gation into the Colorado coal strike. Mr. Costigan was attorney for tha United Mine
Workers of America. In the now celebrated murder cases growing out of the strike Mr.
Costigan represented and secured acquittals for numerous defendants.

On the 12th of June, 1903, Mr. Costigan was married to Miss Mabel G. Cory, of
Denver, who was a classmate of her husband in the East Denver high school. She
was secretary and Mr. Costigan was president of the class in which they graduated.
She has long been active in the educational, church and club circles of Denver and in
other public connections. In church circles she is widely known as a lecturer at
summer schools of missions such as are held at Boulder, Colorado, and at Omaha,
Nebraska, being an expert in Sunday school primary work, renowned for her remarkable
gifts for story-telling, for children. For three years, from 1912 until 1915, she was
president of the Woman's Club of Denver. In the spring of 1916, as chairman of the
industrial committee of the Colorado State Federation of Women's Clubs, she organized
and conducted a campaign to amend the child labor law of Colorado so as to prohibit
such labor in the beet fields of the state. She has long been a deep student of the
problems of labor and of the foreign born in America, and for some years she has
been a member of the advisory council of the National Child Labor Committee.

Mr. Costigan has delivered many public addresses in recent years including pub-
lished discussions before the State Bar Association. On the 30th of December, 1917, at
Philadelphia, in an address before the joint session of the American Economic Asso-
ciation, The American Historical Association, the American Political Science Associa-
tion and the American Sociological Society, he asserted that the victory of the Allies
meant international control in many new fields, including a fair apportionment of essen-
tial raw materials among the nations, and a policy of conservation and use of national
resources as the best means of cancelling hereafter the heavy war debts of the world.
In the course of his remarks, he added: "Nothing during these trying times said or
done by President Wilson has more strikingly or serviceably evidenced his leadership
than his rejection of 'selfish and exclusive economic leagues.' His criticism brought
home to a large portion of the public, both here and abroad, what historians and
economists instantly perceived when the Paris resolutions were announced, that the
division of the world into two permanently hostile economic groups would give inter-
national sanction to the vast and inhuman ruthlessness which has irredeemably dis-
credited German autocracy."

In September, 1918, while the war was in progress, Mr. and Mrs. Costigan went
to France. Together they visited the battlefields and investigated conditions in the
region between Chateau Thierry, Soissons, and Rheims; and Mr. Costigan in October
also visited the fighting region in the St. Mihiel sector between Metz and Verdun. They
were in London at the time of the signing of the armistice, and returned in December,
1918, with the first after-the-war homeward movement of American soldiers.



ROBERT B. SPENCER.



Robert B. Spencer, owner and editor of the Fort Morgan Times and the Evening
Times, the former a weekly and the latter a daily paper published at Fort Morgan, was
born in Monroe county, Iowa, September 2. 1872, a son of Wellington and Amanda
(Hammond) Spencer, who were natives of Ohio. The father was a farmer by occupation
and at an early period in the development of Monroe county, Iowa, went to that section
and purchased land whereon he and his family took up their abode. He then improved
and developed the property, which he continued to cultivate until 1915, when he sold his
farm there and removed to Kansas. In the latter state he purchased land which he is
still cultivating and which is pleasantly situated near Topeka, where he and his wife
have an attractive home.

Robert B. Spencer was reared and educated in Albia, Monroe county, Iowa, and




ROBERT B. SPENCER



148 HISTORY OF COLORADO

finished his studies at the Wesleyan College at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where he won the
degree of Master of Arts. He then took up the profession of teaching and for five years
occupied the position of superintendent of schools of Monroe county. With the outbreak
of the Spanish-American war he enlisted for active service as a member of Company F,
Fitty-iirst Iowa Volunteer Infantry, with which he served as sergeant for a year and a
half, doing active duty in the Philippine islands for a year.

In 1907 Mr. Spencer arrived in Fort Morgan, Colorado, and purchased the Fort Morgan
Times, which he has since published. Later he established a daily paper known as the
Evening Times and has published it continuously since 1908. He has made these very
attractive journals to a large reading public, for the papers are devoted to a discussion
of general and local news, while his editorials indicate thorough familiarity with the
vital problems and issues of the day. He has one of the best equipped printing plants
in the state, supplied with two linotype machines, and he does a very extensive job
printing business.

Mr. Spencer was married on the 10th of September, 1902, to Miss Carrie E. Eyestone
and to them were born five children: Alice, whose birth occurred July 9, 1903; Robert,
who was born April 21, 1908; Murlin, -born November 11, 1911; Marian, April 9, 1913,
and Nelda, July 9, 1916. Mrs. Spencer is a daughter of J. W. and Margaret (Gardner)
Eyestone, who were natives of Indiana and of Ohio respectively. They became pioneer
residents of Iowa, and at the time of the Civil war Mr. Eyestone went to the front as a
lieutenant of Company K of the Thirteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He participated in
a number of hotly contested engagements and then returned at the close of the war to
Iowa, purchasing land in Washington county. He continued to cultivate this farm for
a number of years, but is now living in Mount Vernon. Iowa, having removed to the city
in order to give his children the benefit of its educational opportunities. His wife passed
away there in 1918.

In his political views Mr. Spencer is a republican, and for two years he filled the
office of mayor of Port Morgan. He also served on the school board for four years and
was president of the Commercial Club for some time, doing active work in furthering the
welfare and upbuilding of the city in every possible way. His religious faith is that of
tlie Methodist Episcopal church, he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he belongs
to the Young Men's Christian Association. In the last named he is very active and has
been in charge of the twelfth district for the association, including six counties. In a
word, he stands for progress and improvement along material, social, intellectual and
moral lines, and his efforts have been far-reaching and resultant.



FRED S. BROWN.



Fred S. Browo, an investment broker of Denver and also the owner of the finest
poultry and hog ranch in the west, situated in Arapahoe county, was born April 10,
1869, in the city which is still his home, the family residence then occupying what is
now the site of the Chamber of Commerce. His father, John Sidney Brown, was a
pioneer of Denver, born in Ohio in 1833, and a representative of one of the old families
of that state of English lineage. The first of the family in America came to the
new world prior to the Revolutionary war and settled in New England. Members of
the family participated in the struggle for independence and in the War of 1812. John
Sidney Brown was reared and educated in Ohio and when twenty-seven years of age
came to the west, making his way direct to Denver, where he established a wholesale
grocery business which is still being conducted. He was active in its management and
remained sole proprietor of the business until his death, which occurred in Denver,
January 15, 1913, when he was seventy-nine years of age. His political allegiance waa
given to the republican party and he was a man of genuine worth, highly esteemed both
in business and in citizenship. He married Irene Sopris, a native of Indiana, whose
parents came to Colorado during the latter part of the '50s and thus cast in their
lot with its pioneer settlers. Mrs. Brown passed away in Denver in 1881, at the age of
forty-two years. In the family were five children, three sons and two daughters, all
of whom are yet living, namely: Fred S., of this review; Elizabeth, now the wife of
Andrew B. Inglis, a resident of Seattle, Washington; Edward N., living in Denver;
Katherine, the wife of N. A. Johanson, of Seattle, Washington; and W. K., a wholesale
grocer of Denver.

Spending his youthful days in his native city, Fred S. Brown acquired his educa-
tion in the public and high schools and passed the examination for Yale University but
instead of pursuing a college course entered his father's business establishment and



^^pl


I^H


^^^r


^P^H


WKK/fm *^


->^^^^^^^^^H


r LjL~


' ^^^^^H


W^


^^^m


^A^

^^^^^h


M


^^^^HL\i






FRED S. BROWN



150 HISTORY OF COLORADO

was associated with the wholesale grocery business for twenty-six years. He started
in a humble capacity but gradually worked his way upward through personal effort and
ability, acquainting himself with the business in all of its departments and thus quali-
fying for administrative direction and executive control. He eventually became vice
president of the company and so continued until 1913, when upon the father's death the
business was divided and Fred S. Brown took over the investment business, to which
he has since given his attention, his father having established the Brown Investment
Company, which he was conducting in addition to the wholesale grocery business.
Fred S. Brown is thoroughly familiar with commercial paper and the value of all
investments and his business in this connection is now extensive and important. He
is also largely engaged in ranching and stock raising and his ranch of twenty-one
acres in Arapahoe county is one of the best equipped for the raising of poultry and
hogs to be found in the west. He has studied closely every question bearing upon
the scientific development and care of hogs and poultry and has upon his place the
finest breeds of both.

On the 7th of April, 1898, Mr. Brown was married in Denver, Colorado, to Miss
Margaret Ganser, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. F. Ganser, of
an old Illinois family. Mr. Brown's military record covers tour years' service as a
member of Company K of the Colorado National Guard. In politics he maintains an
independent course but is not remiss in the duties of citizenship and actively cooperates
in the well defined plans and purposes of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association
for the upbuilding of the interests of the city in every particular. In addition to his
membership in that organization he belongs to several more strictly social institutions,
including the Denver Club, the Denver Country Club, the Lakewood Country Club
and the Denver Athletic Ckib. A lifelong resident of the city, he has for forty-nine
years been a witness of its growth and development, rejoices in what has been
accomplished and at all times lends his aid and cooperation to movements for the
public good. He has a very wide acquaintance and his pronounced social qualities make
for personal popularity, while his genuine worth results in warm friendships.



JOSEPH W. MORELAND



Joseph W. Moreland is a prominent and successful ranchman who is also general
manager of the Elevator Company at Peyton. He is classed with the substantial citi-
zens that Indiana has furnished to Colorado, his birth having occurred in Perry county
of the former state on the 21st of October, 1866, his parents being James H. and Martha
Moreland, the former a native of Ohio. They removed with their family to Olney, Rich-
land county, Illinois, during the early boyhood of Joseph W. Moreland, who there acquired
a common school education. In 18S6, when a young man of twenty years, he removed
to Leoti, Kansas, and for five years was connected with the Missouri Pacific Railroad,
having charge of a track gang. He arrived at Peyton, Colorado, in 1S97 and purchased
three hundred and twenty acres of land, since which time he has successfully engaged
in ranching. He has good buildings upon his place, engages in general farming, feeds
cattle and milks twenty cows. In addition to the further development and improvement
of his farm he is managing the business of the Peyton Farmers Cooperative Elevator
Company, of which he is one of the stockholders. His business activities are intelli-
gently directed, his enterprise is unfaltering and what would seem difiSculties in the
path of the weak ofttimes have served as stepping-stones in his career.

In November, 1890, Mr. Moreland was united in marriage to Miss Lorinda Miller,
a daughter of R. B. and Jennie Miller. She was born in Iowa but was reared in
Piper City, Ford county. Illinois. To Mr. and Mrs. Moreland have been born eight
children: Elsie, the wife of Frank Derby, residing at Lake George, Colorado, by whom
she has a daughter, Inez; Tressa, the wife of John Owen, of Calhan, Colorado, and
the mother of a son, Owen, and a daughter, Eleanor; Jennie, the wife of Willie Green,
a ranchman of Eastonville, Colorado, by whom she has a son, Ira; Walter S., who is
in the United States army and is at present in the government lumber camps of Wash-
ington; James Ira, who is training with a campany of heavy artillery at Camp Funston;
and Kenneth, Wayne and Jewel, all at home.

Mr. Moreland is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, belonging to Pey-
ton Camp, No. 9229, of which for seventeen years he has been the clerk. He is a man
in whom his fellow townsmen have implicit faith and confidence. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party and his fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth and
public spirit, have frequently called him to office. He has served for two terms, or four



HISTORY OF COLORADO 151

years, as justice of the peace in El Paso county and has fearlessly and efficiently dis-
charged the duties of that position. He has been a member of the school board for
twenty years and he is a champion of every movement that tends to promote the
progress and upbuilding of his community. He has many friends who recognize his
sterling worth, speaking of him in terms of high regard, and in his business career
he has demonstrated his resourcefulness as well as his reliability, both of which have
won for him a creditable position among the ranchmen and grain dealers of his section
of the state.



ELIJAH L. WEST.



Elijah L. West, who resides near Wheatridge in Jefferson county, where he took
up his abode thirty-four years ago, owns and cultivates a tract of land devoted to
gardening and the raising of small fruit. He is also successfully engaged in busi-
ness as a merchant of Denver. His birth occurred in Richmond, Kentucky, on the
3d of October, 1863, his parents being Perry and Susan (Lauless) West, both of whom
have passed away. The father served as a soldier of the Civil war.

Elijah L. West pursued his education in the schools of his 'native city to the age
of nineteen years and then made his way to Texas, where he was engaged in farm-
ing for two years. In 18S4 he came to Colorado, settling at Wlieatridge. and soon



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 19 of 108)