thereafter he purchased a tract of land which he has cultivated continuously and
successfully throughout the intervening period. On September 4, 1911, he purchased
the store of F. A. Burnell, the oldest hay, grain and feed house in Denver, and this
he has also since carried on, enjoying an extensive and most gratifying patronage.
He is widely recognized as a capable, progressive and enterprising business man ,
whose methods are thoroughly reliable and straightforward.
On the 12th of June, 1886, in Denver, Colorado. Mr. West was united in marriage
to Miss Dora E. Ramboz, a daughter of Louis and Holymphia (Le-Liever) Ramboz.
They located on a ranch on Clear creek in 1864, where Mrs. West was born and reared,
so that her early life was replete with the experiences of pioneer existence. By her
marriage she has become the mother of six children, as follows: Maude E., who is
the wife of A. E. Towner; Nora E., who gave her hand in marriage to James Franze;
Claude L., who wedded Miss Jennie A. Mooney; Raymond L., who married Miss Edna
A. Cummings; Howard H.; and Walter W.
Mrs. West is also from a pioneer family of Jefferson county. Her parents were
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
both born in France, and both came with their parents to America during their child-
hood. Louis Ramboz first came to Colorado in 1859, remaining about a year. On the
11th of March, 1860, at St. Joseph, Missouri, he wedded Miss Holymphia Le-Liever
and in 1864 they located on a tract of land in Jefferson county where they continued
to reside until the mother's death which occurred January 15. 1886, in her forty-second
year. Louis Ramboz survived until November 13, 1898, when he passed to eternal rest,
aged sixty-three years. He was numbered among the earliest settlers of Jefferson
county and by his progressive methods and advanced ideas aided materially in the
development of the country. Among other things it may be mentioned that he brought
to the section, and put into active operation, the first combined mowing and reaping
machine ever used in Jefferson county. Politically he was a republican and an ardent
supporter of the principles of the party.
Mr. West is justly recognized as one of the very first settlers in the Wheatridge
section, the entire region being an undeveloped wilderness at the time of his loca-
tion here. Not only has he been a witness to the growth and development of the
community, but has also had active part in bringing about the transition. Every
movement tending towards the public good, has received his active aid and assistance,
particularly the securing and actual construction of the splendid public roadways for
which the section is noted. He was also one of the most active workers in organizing
the Wheatridge Grange, of which he became a charter member and' was elected the
first master, a position he has filled, at various times, to the extent of more than ten
years. This was the first Grange to be established in Colorado, receiving Charter
No. 1. Here also, and largely through the efforts of Mr. West, was established the
first Juvenile Grange in the state, Wheatridge, No. 1, and in which his son, Walter
W. West, was elected the first master and served two terms. Another son, Raymond
L., after graduating from high school, entered the State Agricultural College, at Fort
Collins, where he pursued a course in mechanical and irrigation engineering and has
hH^Ik ^ ^^ ^^^HH
ELIJAH L. WEST
MRS. DORA E. WEST
154 HISTORY OF COLORADO
won distinction in tlie practice of his profession. Tlie two youngest sons are still
residing at home, actively engaged in the cultivation of the home ranch.
In his political views Mr. West is a stalwart republican and his fellow townsmen
have frequently called upon him for public service. He has been president of the
school board of Wheatridge for five years and for four years, from 1908 until 1912,
held the office of county commissioner, making a most excellent record in that connec-
tion. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to Arvada Lodge, No. 141,
A. F. & A. M., and he is also connected with the Woodmen of the World and the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. His religious faith is that of the Christian church, of
which he is a devoted and consistent member. He has gained a most extensive and
favorable acquaintance during the long period of his residence in Jefferson county
and enjoys an enviable reputation as a representative business man and esteemed citizen
of the community.
JOHN T. FITZELL.
John T. Fitzell, conducting business under the name of the Ideal Laundry Com-
pany, of which he is president, dates his residence in Denver from 1890, but later spent
four years in Cripple Creek, returning to Denver in 1904. He was born in County
Kerry, Ireland, May 17,, 1870, a son of Thomas and Theresa (Fitzell) Fitzell. The
ancestry of the Fitzell family can be traced back to William the Conqueror. In early
life the parents of John T. Fitzell came to Canada, making the trip soon after their
marriage. The father engaged in farming and after residing for a time in Canada
removed to Colorado and is now a resident of Los Angeles, California, where he is living
retired. His wife passed away in that city in 1914.
John T. Fitzell was the eighth in order of birth in a family of fourteen children.
He pursued his education in the public schools of Canada and afterward started out in
the business world in connection with the grocery trade, at which he was employed for
two years. He then turned his attention to the laundry business and in 1890 he arrived
in Colorado, where he became connected with the Queen City Laundry Company of
Denver. He was with the company for two years and then entered the employ of the
Imperial Laundry Company as manager, there remaining until 1900. He then went to
Cripple Creek, where he became manager of the Cripple Creek Laundry, and incidentally
took up mining. He won success in both branches and remained there for four years.
In 1904, however, he returned to Denver and purchased an interest in what is now
the Ideal Laundry at No. 2500 Curtis street. The business was organized by Otto Heries
and Mr. Fitzell at the date indicated became his partner. They conducted their interests
most successfully until the business outgrew its quarters, after which they consolidated
the laundry with that of Sidney Culbertson, who had conducted business under the
name of the Red Star Laundry. They formed what is now the Ideal Laundry and upon
the death of Mr. Heries in 1915 the partners made arrangements to purchase his
interests upon the settlement of the estate. Since then the business has been incor-
porated and the patronage has continually increased, for the service rendered the public
is highly satisfactory. The name Ideal is a guarantee of excellent workmanship. Mr.
Fitzell is the president and manager of the business, with Mr. Culbertson as the secre-
tary and treasurer. Since the incorporation of their business the business has more
than doubled and is continually growing. Something of the vast volume of their trade
is indicated in the fact that they now employ one hundred and twenty-five people. The
most modern machinery has been installed and there is every facility to promote the
work and make the output of the highest possible character. In the present year (1918)
a large addition is being built, sixty-two and a half feet square. This makes their
plant one of the largest and most modern in the city. They have fourteen delivery
wagons and auto trucks, and the business is thoroughly systematized in every depart-
On the 26th of April, 1892, Mr. Fitzell was married to Miss Lydia M. Lang, of Denver,
a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lang, of Hanover, Canada. They have become
parents of three children. Grant R., born in Denver in 1895, was graduated from the
manual training department of Boulder University and was with the American Beet
Sugar Company until 1918, when he joined the national army. He married Miss Marina
Acola in Mendon, Missouri. J. Alvin, born in Denver in 1900, is now in the Kemper
Military Academy. Doris, born in 1902, is a student in the East Denver high school.
Mr. Fitzell is identified with various societies and clubs. He belongs to the
National Laundrymen's Association and thus keeps in touch with everything having
HISTORY OF COLORADO 155
to do with the trade. He is a member of the Civic and Commercial Association and
thereby cooperates in many well defined plans for the city's upbuilding and for the
promotion of those interests which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride. Frater-
nally he is connected with the Elks and the Woodmen of the World, and in club circles
his membership extends to the Motor and Lions Clubs. Such in brief is the life history
of a man who has used his time and talents wisely and well, and entirely unassisted
has worked his way steadily upward from a humble position in the business world to
a place where he is controlling extensive and important interests, placing him among
the men of affluence in Denver.
OSCAR G. KEYSOR.
Oscar G. Keysor, devoting his attention to sheep raising at the town of Keysor,
was born in Barton county, Kansas, October 5, 1878, a son of John and Anna (Schnars)
Keysor. The father removed from Ohio to Kansas. The mother was originally from
Pennsylvania and was descended from one of the old Pennsylvania Dutch families.
Spending his youthful days in his native state, Oscar G. Keysor largely devoted his
attention to the acquirement of a public school education and when twenty years of
age came to Colorado in the year 1898. He first made his way to Galatea, on the
Missouri Pacific, near Sugar City, and in 19U0 he homesteaded in Elbert county. His
mother and his three brothers also homesteaded and at present two brothers, Oscar G.
and Ora S., the latter thirty-four years of age, are partners in one of the largest sheep
raising businesses in the state. The mother died on the old homestead thirteen years
ago. The sons, Oscar G. and Ora S., lease many thousand acres of land for sheep
On the 17th of April, 1912. Oscar G. Keysor was united in marriage to Miss Ruth
Anderson and to them have been born two sons, John Willand and Robert Frederick.
Oscar G. Keysor is the postmaster of the town of Keysor, which was named in honor
of himself and brother.
WILLIAM M. WILDER.
William M. Wilder was throughout his life a skilled mechanic who executed im-
portant work along that line, save for a brief period prior to his demise, when he lived
retired. He was born in Rochester, New York. November 29, 1846, a son of Edward
and Sarah E. (Alton) Wilder, the former a native of New York and the latter of London,
England. At the usual age he became a pupil in the public schools and subsequent to
the completion of his course, when he was still a youth in his teens, he spent ten
months as a member of Company E of the One Hundred and Eighty-sixth New Y'ork
Volunteers, doing active service at the front in defense of the Union. When the war
was over he returned to Rochester, where he learned the machinist's trade, at which
he worked in his native city until 1871. He then removed to Newcastle, Indiana, where
he continued to work as a machinist until 1888. In the latter year he came to Denver
and entered the employ of F. N. Davis, a brick contractor, with whom he continued until
1891. In that year the big strike occurred, after which Mr. Wilder worked on the
capitol contract. In 1893 he entered the machine shop of David & Creswell, there
remaining for several years, and afterward he was employed by W. F. Altoff & Son and
later by Haven Brothers. Eventually, however, his health failed and he retired from
active business life. He was a very ingenious mechanic, thoroughly enjoying work
at his trade, and his eflSciency was in large measure due thereto. A fine example of
his workmanship is the stairway in the State Capitol and he ever took great and just
pride in his work which he performed to the best of his ability, and that ability con-
stantly increased, as his skill and experience widened.
On the 30th of April, 1870. Mr. Wilder was married in Newcastle, Indiana, to Miss
Mary M. Pence, a daughter of Cyrus P. and Catherine (Kyger) Pence. Three children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilder: Minnie U., who became the wife of Harry L. Price;
Edward, who is engaged in the grocery business in Denver; and Bessie B., who is
employed in the Kesler Stationery Store in Denver.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Wilder was connected with Crocker Post, G. A. R..
and thus maintained pleasant relations with his old army comrades. His political
allegiance was given to the democratic party but he was never an office seeker. His
156 HISTORY OF COLORADO
attention was always given to his business affairs and tlirough his close application
and fidelity to the work entrusted to him he won a liberal measure of success, becoming
one of the men of affluence of his community. He was thus able to leave his family
in comfortable financial circumstances when death called him on the 1st of December,
1915. His demise was deeply regretted not only by the members of his household but
by many with whom he had come in contact and who had come to esteem him for his
genuine traits of character.
MARTIN JEROME PEASE.
Martin Jerome Pease, one of the progressive citizens of his community, is the owner
of a valuable farm of nine hundred and thirty-one acres in Elbert county near Simla.
He was born April 7, 1861, in southeastern Missouri, a short distance from Pilot Knob.
His father, Martin Pease, was descended from one of the old families of Massachusetts.
The mother, who bore the maiden name of Susan Ann Nalle, was a native of Kentucky
and both were descended from old families represented in the Revolutionary war.
Martin Jerome Pease was for some years a resident of Kansas before removing
to Colorado in 1911, in which year he secured his present property holdings, purchasing
one of the finest farms of Elbert county. It is situated in the vicinity of Simla and
contains nine hundred and thirty-one acres. It is in every respect a model place, splen-
didly equipped with large and substantial buildings, and in addition to the production of
crops he is also engaged in stock raising. His business affairs are wisely and carefully
managed and success in substantial measure is crowning his efforts.
On the Sth of April, 1891, Mr. Pease was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Lewis,
of Kansas, who is a native of Maryland. They have become the parents of five children:
Lewis F., who was in Camp Kearny until discharged by reason of physical disability;
Arthur, who enlisted in the Boulder University Corps; Martin, at home; Edith, who
is the wife of Rex Hixson; and Marie.
Mr. Pease is actuated by a spirit of progress in all that he undertakes and in all
of his relations to the community and the public at large. Thoroughly alive to the
needs of the country and the opportunities of the hour, he was one of the promoters
of the Liberty Loan and one of the largest subscribers at Simla. He is a director of
the State Bank of Simla, is the secretary of the school board and is foremost in every
movement for the advancement of his community.
ARMOUR C. ANDERSON.
Armour C. Anderson, one of Denver's leading real estate men, also active in
municipal affairs as a member of the public utilities commission, was born in Mercer
county, New Jersey, a son of William and Ellen (Marshall) Anderson, both of whom
were born as subjects of the British isles. The father's birth occurred in the north
of Ireland, while the mother was a native of Scotland, and with their respective
parents they came to the United States when seven years of age. the families settling
in the state of New York. Later removal was made to Maryland, where the father of
Armour C. Anderson engaged in railroad contract work and assisted in building
the road from Baltimore to Washington. William Anderson became prominent as
superintendent of railroad construction and as a contractor and his death occurred
near Washington in 1897. He had long survived his wife, who passed away in Mary-
land in 1876. Their family numbered seven children, among whom was Armour C.
Anderson of this review.
In early life Armour C. Anderson attended school in Prince Georges county,
Maryland, and in 1881 he arrived in Colorado, taking up his abode in Denver, where
he was first employed in newspaper work on the Denver Evening World and Denver
Tribune. He continued on the paper for three years and then embraced an opportunity
to go to Mexico with Governor Shepherd of Washington. He remained in that country
for some time but eventually tired of the southern republic and in 1885 returned to
Denver. Here he concentrated his efforts and attention upon the real estate business,
and although he began operations along that line in a small way, he gradually worked
his way upward until he ranked with the leading real estate men of the city and is
now one of the large operators and individual property owners of Denver. He has
valuable realty holdings in the city. His investments have been most carefully and
ARMOUR C. ANDERSON
158 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Judiciously made and bring to him a substantial financial return. He occupies a
prominent position among real estate men of the city and in 1893 and 1894 held the
presidency of the Denver Real Estate Exchange.
Mr. Anderson has long been a devoted member of the Central Presbyterian
church and for the past quarter of a century has been its chief usher. He belongs
also to the Denver Athletic Club, of which he has been a representative for fifteen
years. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons as a Knight Templar and member
of the Mystic Shrine and he has likewise attained the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party
since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and in 1910 he was elected to
the public utilities commission and has since devoted much valuable service to the
city. He was also a member of the state legislature for two terms under the Waite
administration and gave the most thoughtful and earnest consideration to the vital
questions which came up for settlement there. He was likewise one of the promoters
of the beautiful Pioneer monument, assisting in laying the cornerstone when the
dedicatory services were held. He is well worthy to be classed with Denver's leading
and representative men.
For forty-four years Joseph Wilkinson, who died July 30, 1918, had been identified
with the agricultural interests of Colorado. He made his home on section 33, town-
ship 6, Weld county, and his career was a most active and useful one. He passed the
seventy-eighth milestone on life's journey and in a review of his record one can see
that he was a self-made man whose success was due entirely to his own initiative,
industry and perseverance. Such a record should serve to inspire and encourage all
who read it, showing what can be accomplished by the individual. Mr. Wilkinson was
born in Pennsylvania, November 11, 1840, and was a son of Will Perry and Mary Ann
(Edwards) Wilkinson. The father was a farmer by occupation and was the owner
of one hundred acres of land which he carefully cultivated. His wife was born in
Holland and both have now passed away.
Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Joseph Wilkinson acquired
a public school education, continuing his studies until he reached the age of nineteen.
He afterward worked in the coal mines of his native state and also on the farm. At
length, however, he determined to see something of the country and made his way
to California. He was pleased with the district and decided to remain. Afterward he
obtained a position in a mill and for five years he continued upon the Pacific coast,
but on the expiration of that period retraced his steps eastward as far as Colorado,
where he arrived in 1S74. He had very little money at that time and began logging
on the river. He afterward went upon a ranch, where he remained for three years,
and during that period he carefully saved his earnings until his industry and economy
had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to start in business independently.
He then purchased a farm of eighty acres and began the cultivation of wheat, potatoes
and oats. It was not long before the place showed the result of his earnest labors
and sound business judgment. After a time he purchased another farm, comprising
one hundred and sixty acres, situated three miles northeast of Greeley, and through
the intervening years to his death he carried on his farming interests successfully.
He studied the soil, knew the crops best adapted to climatic conditions here and so
intelligently directed his labors that success came to him.
In March, 1871, Mr. Wilkinson was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Sutliff
and to them were born three children: Brice, who is in Arizona in the employ of a
copper company and is engaged in building a smelter; Mabel, who was born in Colo-
rado in 1886 and was a librarian in Wyoming, but at this writing is attending the
State Teachers' College of Colorado for her M. A. degree. She is the wife of Ellis
Ethridge. Blanche died at the age of three and one-half years in 1880.
In his political views Mr. Wilkinson was a republican, voting for the men and
measures of the party since reaching man's estate. He never sought or desired office,
however, for he concentrated his efforts, his thoughts and his attention upon his business
affairs. Mr. Wilkinson was a man of genuine worth and deserved much credit for
what he had accomplished. He started out in life empty-handed and had to struggle
for each penny that he gained. As the architect of his own fortunes he builded wisely
and well and his developing powers grew through the exercise of effort. He lived to
see remarkable changes in Weld county during the period of his residence here and
160 HISTORY OF COLORADO
was familiar with every phase of pioneer life. Moreover, he contributed in marked
measure to agricultural progress in this section and was numbered among those who
have aided in laying broad and deep the foundation upon which has been built the
present progress and prosperity of the county.
Rapidly coming to the front as a monument builder and stone engraver of the
highest ability, John Norman certainly deserves mention among the representatives of
active industrial life in the Queen City of the Plains. He was born in Norway, Sep-
tember 24, 1875, a son of Otto and Sarah (Johnson) Norman. The father was for a long
period a well known blacksmith of Manti, Utah. He came to this country in 1878,
settling at Manti, where he still resides, but his wife passed away in Norway in 1918,
while on a visit to her childhood home. They had a family of four children, two of
whom are living, the younger being Carl Wilhelm Norman, now residing in Norway.
The elder son, John Norman of this review, attended the public schools of his
native country in his boyhood days, having remained there with his mother. After
leaving school he began work as an apprentice at the stone and marble cutter's trade,
learning all kinds of monument work, including artistic designing. After thoroughly
mastering the business he left the land of the midnight sun and came to America,
settling first at Rockport, Massachusetts, where he continued to work at his trade
until July 20, 1916. At that date he came to Denver and bought out the established
business and property of Hans Anderson at No. 4989 Vine street. He has since con-
ducted a successful monument and marble business. His place of business is close to
the Riverside cemetery, in which are found many evidences of his artistic and high-
On the 18th of October, 1907, Mr. Norman was married to Miss Clara Gustaveson.
a daughter of Gus Gustaveson of New York city, and they have one child, John Robert,
who was born in New York city, September 10, 1911, and who is now a pupil in the
public schools of Denver. The family has resided in this city for only a brief period
but has already become widely and favorably known and Mr. Norman has made for
himself a most creditable place in business circles, for his long apprenticeship and
previous experience in the line of his chosen vocation well qualify him for the excellent
work that he is now doing as a marble cutter and monument manufacturer.
CHARLES N. YEAMANS.