They have become the parents of two children: Elsie, the wife of Charles Bode, by
■whom she has two children. Otto and Henrietta; and Emma, the wife of William H.
The political faith of Mr. Vogel is that of the democratic party but he has never
been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his busi-
ness affairs, which have been wisely and carefully directed, bringing him the substantial
success that is now his. From the age of eighteen he has resided continuously in the
new world and for more than a third of a century has made his home in the vicinity
of Broomfield, closely identified with its agricultural interests and contributing in
marked measure to its progress in this direction.
Walter Wise is the able and efficient young manager for the Fisk Rubber Company
of Denver, having charge of the sales and distribution of goods of that firm over the
states of Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and a portion of Nebraska. He has thor-
oughly studied conditions of the trade and has developed notable success in the busi-
ness through the field in which he labors. He is today one of the most familiar fig-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ures in connection with the tire trade and wherever he is known he is spoken of in
terms of the highest regard.
Mr. Wise was born near Auburn, Georgia, January 17, 18SS, a son of Allen Sher-
wood and Elizabeth (Adams) Wise, who are natives of Georgia, but in 1900 removed
to Dublin. Texas, where Mr. Wise is engaged in ranching. They became the parents
of two children: Luther V., who has passed away; and Walter, of this review.
Walter Wise was the elder and in his boyhood days he was a pupil in the public
and high schools of Dublin, Texas. His first position was that of clerk in a drug
store and later he served in various ways along business lines. He went to Dallas,
Texas, in 1909, and for six months was an automobile tire salesman, after which he
removed to Kansas City, Missouri, where he acted as city salesman for the Fisk Rub-
ber Tire Company, continuing there from 1909 until 1914. 'In the latter year he
came to Denver to take charge of the local and district branch of the company in this
city, and so ably has he managed the business that the sales from this branch have
more than held their own with those of much larger districts in other parts of the
country. He knows that he is representing goods of the highest quality and he does
not hesitate to recommend them. Moreover, he is alert, energetic and determined,
carrying forward to successful completion whatever he attempts.
On the 28th of October, 1914, Mr. Wise was married to Miss Marguerite Hardy, of
New Albany, Indiana, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank R. and Ella Wood (Hedden)
Hardy of that place. The Hardy family is a well known and prominent one in that
section of Indiana, while the Reddens were pioneer manufacturers and have been
leaders in industrial circles in southern Indiana for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Wise
have one child, Walter Richard, born in Denver, August 1.3, 1915.
Fraternally Mr. Wise is connected with the Masons. He belongs to 'the Young
Men's Christian Association and his aid and influence are ever given on the side of
right and truth, of advancement and progress. He is the possessor of many sterling
traits of character which have gained for him the highest esteem of all with whom
he has been brought in coptact as he has traveled widely over the length and breadth
of this land.
JOHN EDWARD YEAMANS.
John Edward Yeamans, who is living retired in Akron, Colorado, was for many
years one of the most successful merchants of that city and by his labors has con-
tributed to the general progress and growth of his city and county. All of his business
dealings have ever been undertaken upon a strictly fair basis and therefore his success
is well merited and his prosperity well earned. He was born in Marshalltown, Iowa,
in January, 1857, a son of Nathan F. and Lydia E. (Hoffman) Yeamans. the former a
native of Virginia and the latter of Pennsylvania. The father was a farmer and miller,
taking up his abode in Iowa and locating in Marshall county at an early day in the
history of the state. Having acquired a comfortable competence he retired and for four
186 HISTORY OF COLORADO
years made his residence in Marshalltown, coming at tlie end of that period to Akron,
Colorado, where his remaining days were spent. Death called him November 17, 1898,
his widow surviving until 1899.
John E. Yeamans spent his boyhood under the parental root and received his
education in the schools of Marshalltown, Iowa. At the age of eighteen he began to
learn the blacksmith's trade, taking up this occupation in that city, and there he con-
tinued along that line for five years. The lure of the west was upon him. however, and
in 1880 he and his brother, Charles N. Yeamans, went to Frontier county, Nebraska,
where they homesteaded. They proved up on their claim and then proceeded to Furnas
county in the same state, where they engaged in the blacksmith and implement business
until November, 1885, when they decided upon another removal and came to Akron,
Colorado. Here they opened a business which is flourishing today. In the beginning
they gave their principal attention to hardware and implements, the firm being
established under the name of Yeamans Brothers & Company. Mr. Yeamans and his
brother continued together for about seventeen years, when John E. Ye'&mans retired.
Under the able management of the brothers, who harmoniously cooperated, the business
grew and their trade increased from year to year, so that prosperity attended their
efforts. Mr. Yeamans had a large part in this success, for it was he who as the elder
took much of the management upon his shoulders. The policies which he followed
proved entirely successful and he secured a large patronage for the business, his
customers implicitly trusting his word, as he would never misrepresent goods or try
to make a sale by high-handed methods. The reputation of the firm for honesty is
built therefore as upon a rock and much of the success of the business is due to this
fact. Upon first arriving in Akron, Mr. Yeamans also took up a preemption claim.
After having sold to his brother he engaged in the blacksmithing business and continued
therein until June 15, 1918, when he sold out and retired from active work, having
acquired a comfortable competence. He now look^ after his farming interests, owning
land in partnership with his brother and also owning independently one hundred and
sixty acres, all improved farming property, near the town. His wife is also the possessor
of a fine property. Mr. Yeamans is likewise the owner of the Citizens Bank building
in Akron and has several other business properties.
On October 10, 1887, Mr. Yeamans wedded Alma A. Dexter, of Toledo, Tama county,
Iowa, and to them were born four children, namely: Floy, the wife of A. S. Wilcox, a
farmer residing one mile east of Akron; C. William, who resides in Chicago and is
purchasing agent for the Belt Line Railroad; and Marion Edna and Lillian Elma. twins.
The former is the wife of Joseph Nolte and resides in southwestern Missouri, while
the latter married Clinton Dausdill, of Akron, Colorado. Mrs. Yeamans passed away
November 25, 1901, and on September 20, 1905, Mr. Yeamans married Mrs. Leanah
Abbott, her first husband, C. H. Abbott, having passed away June 20, 1899. By him
she had three sons: William A. Abbott, now with the American expeditionary forces in
France; Charles T. Abbott, with the One Hundred and Fifteenth Ammunition Train in
France; and Leroy A. Abbott, at home.
Mr. Yeamans is a republican in his political affiliation and his religious faith is
that of the Methodist Episcopal church. While his has been a busy and useful life
in regard to his private affairs, he has also found time to serve in public capacities and
has ably administered the office of town clerk and also that of coroner of Washington
county. Moreover, he has served as a member of the town council of Akron. His
public activities have ever been of a progressive character and, in accord with his
business reputation as a purposeful man of rugged, honest principles, and he has done
everything in his power to plant deep a civilization of moral and material worth in the
section of the state which has been his home for so many years.
JOHN D. WILSON.
Honored and respected by all, no man occupies a more enviable position in the
business and financial circles of Eaton than does John D. Wilson, the president of the
First National Bank, whose comprehensive knowledge of the banking business is matched
by his honorable purpose and straightforward methods in all that he undertakes. Colo-
rado numbers him among her native sons, for he was born in Greeley on the 3d of
December, 1881, his parents being Thomas H. and Mary (Milne) Wilson, who were
natives of Scotland and in 1881 came to America, settling at Greeley, Colorado. Mr.
Wilson came to the new world as manager for Lord Ogilvie, having charge of his landed
interests in this state for two or three years. He afterward removed to Eaton and
JOHN D. WILSON
188 HISTORY OF COLORADO
purchased land before the town was established, becoming owner of a tract of one
hundred and sixty acres which he entered from the government. He at once began
to develop and Improve the property and continued Its cultivation for many years. He
still makes his home upon that place, but is now living retired from active life, leaving
to others the work of tilling the soil and further developing the property. His wife also
John D. Wilson was reared at Eaton and supplemented his public school training
by a course in the Agricultural College at Fort Collins, Colorado, from which he was
graduated with the class of 1901. He then returned home and began work as book-
keeper in the bank of Thomas, Sullivan & Wilson, his father being part owner in that
institution. Mr. Wilson of this review remained in that position for a year, after which
the First National Bank was organized in 1902 by W. W. Sullivan, who was its lirst
president, while F. L. Weller became the first cashier. Mr. Wilson continued with the
other bank until March, 1905, when the two banks were consolidated and Mr. Wilson
entered the First National as vice president. At that time Mr. Sullivan sold his interest
in the business and A. C. Adams was made president. In June, 1910, the latter resigned
and Mr. Wilson was elected to the presidency. C. J. Stockfleth came to the First
National with Mr. Wilson in the capacity of assistant cashier, and upon the death
of Mr. Weller, the cashier, in 1915, Mr. Stockfleth succeeded to the position, which he
is now occupying. The bank is capitalized for one hundred thousand dollars and has
surplus and profits amounting to twenty-flve thousand dollars, while its deposits have
reached six hundred and eighty-six thousand dollars. The bank is in a most prosperous
condition, its business most thoroughly systematized and ably managed, and the officers
are men who inspire confidence in the institution. In addition to his interests at
Eaton, Mr. Wilson has farming property in this locality from which he derives a good
rental. He is also a stockholder and one of the directors in the Farmers Bank at
In April, 1907, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Marie Rempen, a
daughter of Theodore and Charlotte (Gotthardt) Rempen, who were residents of Ger-
many. The father died in 1S93, but the mother is still living. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson
have been born four children: Mary, who was born in May, 1909; Thomas, in Septem-
ber, 1911; Norman, in December, 1914; and Robert, in May, 1917.
Fraternally he is connected with the Masons as a member of the lodge, chapter and
commandery and is most loyal to the teachings of the craft. He is also identified with
the Order of the Eastern Star and with the Woodmen of the World. Politically he is a
democrat, believing firmly in the principles of the party, but never seeking or desiring
office as a reward for party fealty. His religious faith is that of the Congregational
church and his life is guided at all times by its teachings. Those, who know him —
and he has a wide acquaintance — find in him a man who at all times is worthy of con-
fidence, trust and respect. He is a man of high Ideals not only in relation to business
but in matters of citizenship as well and his activity in behalf of public interests has
been far-reaching and effective.
HENRY AUGUSTUS BUCHTEL, D. D., LL. D.
"He leaves a patriot's name to aftertimes
Linked with a thousand virtues and no crimes"
might well be chosen to epitomize the public service of Henry Augustus Buchtel as
clergyman, educator and Colorado's governor. Holding to high ideals, his service to his
state has nevertheless been of the most practical character and his labors will not
have reached their culmination until movements which he instituted have been
brought to their full fruition. He was born near Akron, Ohio, September 30, 1S47,
and the ancestral line is traced back to Wurttemberg, Germany, whence in 1753*
came the founder of the family in America, making settlement in Pennsylvania.
This was John Buchtel, an astronomer of note, whose strong mentality has been an
inherited force in later generations. The ancestral line comes down through Solomon
and Maria (Reber) Buchtel and Dr. Jonathan B. and Eliza (Newcomer) Buchtel to
Henry Augustus Buchtel of this review. The family name is perpetuated in Buchtel
College at Akron, Ohio, which was built and equipped by John R. Buchtel. a cousin of
Dr. Jonathan B. Buchtel. The last named, after preparing for and entering upon the
* HISTORY OF COLORADO 189
practice of medicine, removed from Akron, Ohio, to Indiana in 1848 and made his
home for a time at Elkhart, whence he went to South Bend.
Largely in private schools of the latter city Governor Buchtel acquired his early
education, which was supplemented by a year's study in what is now De Pauw Univer-
sity. He afterward devoted several years to business, giving some time to service as
foreman of the country order department in the wholesale drug house of Burnhams &
Van Schaack, of Chicago. Ultimately he became a partner in a wholesale and retail
grocery house of South Bend, Indiana, but decided to give up commercial interests in
order to prepare for the ministry, having for a number of years been deeply interested
in the cause of religion. Again entering Asbury (now De Pauw) University, he was
graduated therefrom in 1872 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Soon afterward he
was married and was sent by his church as a missionary to Bulgaria, residing for a
brief period at Rustchuk on the Danube river. His first regular pastorate was at Zions-
ville, Indiana, and at subsequent periods he was located in pastoral work at Greencastle,
Knightstown, Richmond and Lafayette, Indiana, at Denver, Colorado, at Indianapolis,
Indiana, at Mount Vernon, New York, and East Orange, New Jersey.
Rev. Buchtel severed his pastoral relations in the east in 1899 to return to Colorado
as chancellor of the University of Denver, an institution which at that time was
burdened by a great debt. He made it his first duty to procure necessary funds and
after an untiring and vigorous campaign succeeded in raising two hundred and sixty
thousand dollars, which cleared the property from all mortgage encumbrances, though all
floating debts were not extinguished until the total amount of cash secured aggregated
a third of a million dollars. The total amount secured by Chancellor Buchtel for the
scliool down to the present year (191S) is more than a million dollars. During his
administration the attendance increased from six hundned to fourteen hundred students.
The University of Denver is the pioneer school of higher learning in Colorado. It now
has fourteen hundred students and approximately one hundred and sixty professors.
As chancellor. Rev. Buchtel has visited every part of Colorado and it is said that no
man in the state has a broader acquaintance. His prominence as the successful head
of this institution led to his selection for other public service and honors, for in the
fall of 1906 the republican party named him as its candidate for governor. When offered
the candidacy he wrote in reply: "I accept the nomination you have tendered with
the distinct understanding that I am not to be expected to make any pledges of any
character to anyone I hope we shall be able to make a campaign which is in
harmony with the best traditions of the republican party, that is, a business campaign
that is clean and honest." That Colorado's citizens believed in him and his policy
is indicated in the fact that election returns gave to him a majority of approximately
twenty thousand. His inauguration, contrary to the usual custom of the state, took
place in the Trinity Methodist Episcopal church, which Governor Buchtel had largely
aided in building while serving as its pastor. He concluded his inaugural address with
a prayer, which was followed by the Lord's prayer. This was indicative of the spirit
of his administration, which was characterized by the highest ideals of manhood and
of citizenship. All appropriations for the biennial period, as well as all deficits of
former administrations, were paid in full, and the administration turned over to its
successor three hundred thousand dollars in cash. The legislative enactments, too,
were of a character that proved of the greatest benefit to the state at the time and
not only looked to the exigencies of the moment but considered also the opportunities
of the future. A pure food law was enacted, also one requiring the inspection of build-
ing and loan associations. A civil service law found its way to the statute books of
the state and laws providing state employment agencies and the establishment of juvenile
court and detention houses for child offenders. Another law that was enacted provided
for the employment of prison labor on public highways. There was passed a meat and
slaughter-house inspection law and one of the best local option laws which has also been
adopted by other states. Other legislation of importance that was secured during his
administration related to banking, railroads and insurance.
It was on the 4th of February, 1873, that Governor Buchtel was united in marriage
to Miss Mary Stevenson, daughter of William N. Stevenson, of Greencastle, Indiana.
They became parents of two sons and two daughters: Dr. Frost Craft Buchtel; Henry
Augustus, Jr., who died in 1901; Emma, now the wife of Dr. William G. Lennox, both
of whom are doing missionary work in China; and Mary.
In the year 1884, Governor Buchtel received from his alma mater the honorary
degree of D. D. and in 1900 that of LL. D. Since his retirement from office he has
devoted his entire attention to his services as chancellor of the University of Denver.
His service as governor of Colorado, however, constitutes a chapter in its history of
which the state is justly proud. His election followed an era of great bitterness and
190 HISTORY OF COLORADO '
it was due to his rare tact and splendid qualities of heart and mind that conflicting ele-
ments were brought together. He was indeed a peacemaking governor. Since his term
of office, the old harsh, unforgiving attitude of political opponents has largely disappeared
from the strife of parties. The people of the state can never forget the great "good-
fellowship" banquet given by Governor Buchtel and which marked the beginning of an
era in the history of the commonwealth. His course has marked the triumph of truth,
of right and progress. His methods have been practical, while his vision has been
broad and his ideals high. His appeals to the manhood of the state have never been
in vain and his teachings and example have been a guiding force for the adoption of all
those elements which work for good to the individual and to the community at large.
Taylor Green, one of the pioneers of Elbert county, was born in the state of New-
York in 1834 and acquired his education in local schools there. He learned the trade
of carpentering in his youthful days and when he came to Colorado in 1871 he went
at once to Elbert county, where he established himself in the contracting business.
Many of the finest and largest farm buildings in the county were planned and erected
Prior to his removal to Colorado he had served for three years in the Union army
under General Sherman and at the time of his death in 1906 was an honored member
of the Grand Army post in Elbert county, thus maintaining pleasant relations with
his old military comrades, with, whom he had marched to the defense of the Stars
and Stripes during the momentous period of the Civil war.
On the 2d of December, 1891, Mr. Green was married in Denver to Miss Gertrude
McArthy, a native of Prince Edward Island. Albert T. Green, their son, is now in
Base Hospital, No. 29, in London, doing active service for his country. He enlisted
in June, 1917, and was mustered in at Camp Cody, New Mexico, in March, 1918, going
later to Camp Crane, Pennsylvania, and then to important hospital service in London.
Starting in business on his own account with practically no funds and otherwise
handicapped, John Wich nevertheless has gradually overcome all obstacles and difiS-
culties and in the course of years he became one of Denver's leading boiler men and
manufacturers, and owner of one of the largest concerns of the kind in the west —
the Star Boiler & Sheet Iron Works. In this connection he made for himself an
enviable name and place in the business circles of the west and at a recent date he
sold out and is now living retired, enjoying the fruits of his former toil in a well
Mr. Wich was born in Bavaria, April 13, 1852, a son of John and Catharina Wich,
who were natives of the same country, where the father was engaged in the meat
business. Both he and his wife have passed away. In their family were ten children.
John Wich, the ninth in order of birth in his father's household, attended the
public schools of his native country and at the age of eighteen years bade adieu to
friends and fatherland and sailed for America, attracted by the opportunities which
he believed he might enjoy on this side of the Atlantic. He located at Wilkes-Barre,
Pennsylvania, and for a time was employed by the Central Railroad Company of New
Jersey. He afterward learned the boiler maker's trade at Wilkes-Barre and remained
there for five years. Subsequently he went to Texas and was employed at his trade
in various parts of that state. In 1880 he came to Denver and for two months worked
for others, after which he established a small shop in connection with a partner. That
relation was continued successfully for nine years, at the end of which time, in 1889,
Mr. Wich purchased the interest of his partner and continued as sole owner of the
business. From a small start he developed the present extensive establishment,
which he conducted with profit tor many years. He developed a business second to
none of the character in the west. He employed fifty experienced workmen and had
a splendidly equipped plant covering more than a city block. The business was con-
ducted under the name of the Star Boiler & Sheet Iron Works and he manufactured
all kinds of steam boilers and did sheet iron work of all descriptions. On the 4th
of September, 1918, having decided to retire from active business life, he made a sat-
192 HISTORY OF COLORADO
isfactory arrangement for successfully closing out the business, selling at a good
figure to McDougall Overmeyer. Mr. Wich is one of the pioneer boiler and sheet
metal manufacturers of the west and his establishment largely set the standard for
the labors of others along the same line. He never aspired to office, preferring to
devote his entire time and energies to the development of his business with results
that were extremely satisfactory.
In Denver, on the 27th of September, 188S, Mr. Wich was united In marriage to
Miss Alvina Gerdau, of Denver, who was born in Denmark and came to America
when seventeen years of age.' Mr. and Mrs. Wich have become parents of six children:
Maude, deceased; Ruth, who has also passed away; Lillian, at home; John, who was
killed in a motorcycle accident on the 20th of June, 1915; Edith, who is a graduate
of the Denver high school; and Catharine, who was also educated in Denver schools.