ciation. He has many attractive social qualities in addition to that strength of
character which everywhere commands respect and confidence. Nature endowed him
with keen mentality and he has used his talents wisely and well, not only for the
benefit and upbuilding of his fortunes, but for the promotion of public interests which
will make his service to the city of acknowledged worth through years to come.
GEORGE C. ORR.
G«orge C. Orr. president of the Orr-Walworth Foundry Company of Denver and
owner of one of the best equipped foundry plants in the west, has made for himself a
most creditable position in the business circles of his adopted city. This is due to
the thoroughness with which he has mastered everything that he has undertaken
and the spirit of enterprise which he has always displayed.
George C. Orr was born in Rock Island, Illinois, December 7, 1S61, a son of
Patrick and Mary (Cumminsky) Orr, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of
Easton, Pennsylvania. On coming to America, in his boyhood days, the father located
in the Keystone state, but in 1857 removed to Rock Island, Illinois, where he engaged
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
in blacksmithing. having acquired a knowledge of that trade while in the east. After
a time spent at the forge he gave up that work to engage in coal mining but later
again took up the trade and did blacksmithing on a bridge which was being erected
across the Rock River, some few miles from Rock Island. While thus working a span
of the bridge broke and he was killed by the fall, in the year 1866. His widow long
survived him. passing away in May, 1917, at the age of seventy-eight years. They had
a family of three children: Mrs. Ella Wehand living at Moline, Illinois; George C;
and Mrs. Jennie Boyle, whose home is at Alexandria, Indiana.
In the public schools of Moline George C. Orr pursued his education, and having
inherited his father's mechanical skill and ingenuity, took up work along that line.
He was employed on the Rock Island arsenal, assisting in building that famous
plant. He worked on the building until 1S81, when he came to Denver and secured
a position as molder with the Colorado Iron Works. He there remained until 1883,
when he returned to Moline, where he again spent a year. On the expiration of that
period he once more became a resident of Denver and worked at his trade in con-
nection with various foundries until 1896, when he joined William C. Enz in forming
a partnership under the name of the Enz-Orr Foundry Company. This association was
maintained until 1913, when Mr. Orr purchased the interest of his partner. The
business had been incorporated in January, 1909, with Mr. Enz as the president, Mr.
Orr as the vice president and George Eckhart as the secretary. This is a close cor-
poration, and they have thirty employes and through the period of the war have been
engaged in government work.
In June, 1902, Mr. Orr was married to Miss Sarah Frances McDonald, of Denver,
a daughter of J. McDonald, of Moline, Illinois. They have become the parents of
three children. William Enz, born in Denver in 1903, is attending h'rh school. This
boy has a natural inclination toward electrical work and has displayed marked skill
HISTORY OF COLORADO 225
in this particular branch of work. George Cum, born in Denver in 1908, is now in
the high fifth grade in the public schools. He already has shown marked adaptability
as a thorough mechanic and molder and has displayed unusual proficiency along the
latter line, turning out as fine work as men who have followed the trade all their
lives. At a recent date a visitor to his father's plant saw two tons of iron fittings
for marine engines which this boy had made and which had been passed upon as
perfect and yet young George had received absolutely no aid in the work. The youngest
of the family is Sarah Frances, w^ho was born in Denver in 1911 and is also in school.
Mr. Orr is one of Denver's representative men and citizens. He is particularly
well known in connection with athletic interests and was the leader of the Bnz-Orr
bowling team, which won the Denver City championship in 1912. In politics he is
independent, voting for the candidates whom he regards as best qualified for office.
Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is a
member of the drill team, which has won a number of prizes in competition all over
the country. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. He and his family
occupy a fine home at No. 1225 Detroit street, in Denver, and this and his valuable
plant are the visible evidence of his life of well directed energy and thrift. Following
the line of his natural talents, he has steadily worked his way upward and the
thoroughness and initiative which he has displayed have brought him to a most
enviable position in the business world.
LEWIS E. EWAN.
The story of the development of Colorado, like that of every new state, is the
gradual unfolding of a drama of hardship and danger and the realization of the dream
of those sturdy men and women who endured the privations of frontier days, and
carved an empire from the wilderness. Among those who had part in Colorado's
transformation are Lewis E. Ewan, and his worthy wife, who for many years were
residents of Jefferson county, but are now residing in Littleton. Mr. Ewan came to
Colorado in 1880, making the trip overland, driving a mule team from Independence,
Kansas. — a trip that was five weeks in the making. Arriving in Morrison, on the
26th day of May. of the year above mentioned, he located there, but after a brief
stay, located on Turkey creek, where he entered into a contract for hauling stone
from the quarry to the rail shipping point, near Morrison. It is of interest to note
that in the carrying out of this contract, he hauled the red sandstone which was
utilized in the construction and adornment of many of the important buildings in
Denver, among them being the old Union Station; the building formerly occupied by
the Colorado National Bank at Seventeenth and Larimer streets; the original Daniels
& Fisher store building, and many others.
In 1882, he began ranching on eighty acres which he purchased and located upon.
This holding was subsequently increased as years went by and he prospered, until
he had acquired a total of five hundred and forty-five acres, making one of the finest
ranches in that section, while in the meantime, he had won for himself recognition
as one of the representative and best known ranchers and stockmen of the state.
During these years of residence upon his ranch, and in conjunction with his activities
in stock raising, he was also engaged in the butchering and meat supply business at
Morrison. He formed a partnership with M. M. Nay for the conducting of this latter
business and the firm soon became widely known. They did not only an extensive
local business but also furnished a large portion of the meat supply for the surround-
ing towns and villages, including places as far distant as Golden, Idaho Springs, Denver,
During the latter years of their residence in Jefferson county, Mr. and Mrs. Ewan
had made their home in Morrison, where they continued to reside until 1903, when they
removed to Oregon, and for the ensuing two years, engaged in agricultural pursuits
in the fruitful and picturesque Willamette valley. Disposing of their property there,
in 1905, they returned to Colorado, and in 1917, located in Littleton where they now
Mr. Ewan is a native of Virginia, and was born in Fort Republic, in the famous
Shenandoah valley, February 17. 1847. His parents, Robert M. and Caroline (Lewis)
Ewan, were born natives of Virginia, and each was descended from a long line of
distinguished colonial ancestry. In 1859, the parents moved to Michigan, locating in
Berrien county, whence, soon afterward, they removed to Illinois, locating on a farm
but a few miles from Lewiston, in Fulton county. There they were numbered among
LEWIS E. EWAN
MRS. LEWIS E. EWAN
228 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the early pioneers of the section, and made their home during the remainder of their
lives, the father passing away at the age of seventy-six years, the mother being called
to final rest five years later, and in her seventy-seventh year.
Lewis E. Ewan is the eldest of a family of five sons and three daughters. He was
but a lad of twelve years, when he accompanied his parents to Michigan, later going
with the family to Illinois. His boyhood days were spent in Fulton county, where
he attended the public schools of the neighborhood, and shared in the limited advan-
tages which fell to the lot of the average boy of that place and period. In 1870, re-
sponding to the lure of the west, he went to Kansas, locating in Independence, where
he established himself in the real estate and also the meat business, coming from there
to Colorado, as previously noted.
On December 23, 1872, Mr. Ewan was united in marriage with Miss Hattie B.
Wright, who was born in Indiana, July 20, 1854, a daughter of Stanbury B. and Mary
Flagg (Potter) Wright. The parents were natives of Vermont and New York respec-
tively, the progenitors on both the paternal and maternal side being direct lineal
descendants from Puritan ancestors who took active part in the Colonial and the
Revolutionary wars. Mr. and Mrs. Wright came to the west at a time when settlers
were few, locating first in Indiana, then in Iowa, then in Kansas, and finally in 1879,
in Colorado, making their home at Morrison where they continued to reside until the
final summons called them to their eternal rest. The father died September 13, 1885,
and the mother September 16, 1889, each having attained the age of eighty years.
To Mr. and Mrs. Ewan have been born nine children, of whom seven attained
maturity, as follows: Mary L., now Mrs. Edwin Sanger; Bessie E., who is Mrs. F. J.
Frink, and resides in Montana; Anna L., who wedded J. D. Tracy, and resides at
Morrison; Hariet Irene, who became the wife of Charles W. Tuttle, of Denver; Carl
W., of Livingston. Montana; Lewis E., now in the government service as a forest
ranger at Big Timber, Montana; and June V.. now Mrs. N. K. Groesbeck.
In political faith Mr. Ewan has always been a democrat, and an active sup-
porter of the party principles. He has taken prominent part in political affairs having
served as delegate to both state and congressional conventions. He was appointed
by Governor Shafroth water commissioner for the ninth district, filling the position
so acceptably that, upon the expiration of his term, he was reappointed his own suc-
In fraternal circles, Mr. Ewan is well known as a member of Golden Lodge, No.
13, I. O. O. F., also holding membership in the Encampment. He has received all
of the official honors, conferred in the subordinate lodge, and has served as a mem-
ber of the Grand Lodge of the order. Both he. and his worthy wife, are members of
the Rebekahs, in which Mrs. Ewan has served as a delegate and three terms as noble
grand of the order. The religious faith of the family is that of the Christian Science
church, in which both are respected members. While they have been blessed with a
goodly measure of material prosperity, the record of their lives has been such that,
in looking back over the past, there can be found no reason for regret, and they will
leave to their posterity the priceless heritage of a good name, which is more to be
desired than great riches.
NEWTON LOREN GLEASON.
Newton Loren Gleason, one of Elbert county's famous pioneers, was born at Hart-
ford, Cortland county. New York, August 1, 1844. His ancestry can be traced back
to the period of the Mayflower, for John and Priscilla Alden are the Pilgrims to whom
his blood relationship extended. In 1856 his parents removed to Iowa and there he was
educated. He entered the army at the first call for troops by President Lincoln to
preserve the Union and served throughout the conflict under General Thomas as a
member of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry, participating in a number of hotly contested engage-
ments. In 1868 he arrived in Elbert county, Colorado, and became a notable factor in
the development of "the Divide." Not only did he contribute to the material progress
of the community but also left the impress of his individuality upon its political
history. He served for two terms as county treasurer and for one term as clerk of the
district court and he was a member of the fifteenth general assembly of Colorado.
On the 9th of November, 1870, Mr. Gleason was married to Miss Jennie Fisher
and they became the parents of three children: Carl, who is county assessor of Elbert
county, now living in Denver; Bernard; and Alice, who married George Blazer, they
making their home in Elizabeth, Colorado.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 229
Mr. Gleason passed away October 11, 1908, and at the time of his death was a
member of Elbert County Post, No. 103, G. A. R., and also a member of Fowler Lodge,
I. 0. O. F., of Elizabeth. He was one of the directors and the assistant cashier of the
Farmers Bank of Elizabeth and a member of the board of trustees of the Elizabeth
Presbyterian church. His funeral was one of the largest ever held in Elbert county,
practically the entire population attending to pay its tribute of respect to this man,
who was regarded as one of Elbert county's most prominent promoters and builders.
His son, Bernard Horace Gleason, who now manages the large Gleason ranch, was
born in the loghouse on the old homestead July 24, 1876. In the conduct of his busi-
ness affairs he displays marked enterprise and indefatigable energy, having made
the Gleason property one of the finest ranch interests of this section. He is now
treasurer of the Kiowa school board and Is prominent in all the civic affairs of the
On the 30th of June, 1903, Bernard H. Gleason was married to Miss Lola Cable at
Elizabeth, Colorado, and they have become the parents of two children, Bernard Loren
and Mangie Alice. Like his father, Bernard H. Gleason is exerting a widely felt
influence over public thought and action in his community and over the development
of the material resources of the district. He displays sound judgment in all of his
business affairs and his activities, while promoting individual success, are also advanc-
ing public prosperity.
A valuable farm of two hundred and forty-two acres in Adams county is the prop-
erty of Theodore Nott, who for many years has ranked with the most progressive agri-
culturists of his section of the state. He is now living retired in Denver but still holds
farming interests that return to him a substantial annual income. He was born in
St. Lawrence county. New York, on the Sth of August, 1842, a son of Reuben and Olive
(Bailey) Nott. His youthful days were passed in his native county and after master-
ing the branches of learning taught in the district schools he attended an academy,
thus becoming well qualified for life's practical and responsible duties. He started out
In life independently when a youth of nineteen and for four years conducted a stage
line which carried the mail between Antwerp, Jefferson and Ogdensburg, New York.
The succeeding year was devoted to the conduct of a livery business in Carthage, New
York, and for four years he was proprietor of a livery stable at Antwerp. The west,
however, attracted him and, leaving the Empire state, he started across the country
for Denver, Colorado, traveling by rail to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and thence by stage
to his destination. This was in the spring of 1869. He turned his attention to the
dairy business as a partner of his brother, conducting business in the vicinity of
Blackhawk and Central City for about four years. In the fall of 1869 his family Joined
him in Colorado, for on the 11th of October, 1865, Mr. Nott had married Miss Carrie
P. Proctor, of Antwerp, New York.
On removing from his ranch in Jefferson county Mr. Nott took up his abode in
Denver, where he conducted a dairy business for three years, and then established
his home in Arapahoe county, thirty-two miles east of Denver, where he began raising
sheep. For seventeen or eighteen years he was extensively identified with the sheep
industry and realized a handsome profit from his investments and labors. With the
money thus gained he purchased Denver real estate but suffered heavy losses because
of the collapse of the boom. In 1892 he traded property for one hundred and sixty
acres of land on section 6, township 2, range 67, and was there actively engaged in
farming for many years, converting his place into one of the valuable farm properties
of the state. His land is splendidly irrigated and everything about the place is kept
in excellent condition. Neatness and order prevail and the buildings are large and
substantial, furnishing adequate shelter for the grain and stock. Mr. Nott continued
to reside upon his farm for an extended period and then, retiring from active business
life in 1914, took up his abode in Denver, where he has since lived retired, enjoying
the fruits of his former toil.
To Mr. and Mrs. Nott were born six children. Edward, living at Kiowa, Colorado,
married Delia Wood and has one daughter, Helen. Maud is the wife of Edward Clay,
a railroad man, and has two daughters, Dorothy and Sophia. Ernest married Bertha
Eberly and their children are Anna and Elizabeth. Reuben married Mamie Trout and
has a daughter, Genevieve. Fred married Anna Shaw and their children are Evelyn
and Edward Proctor. Stella is deceased. On the 11th of October, 1915, the children
230 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Nott planned a wonderful surprise for them as a
celebration of their golden wedding and the occasion was one never to be forgotten
by those who participated therein. For a half century this worthy couple had traveled
life's journey together, sharing with each other the joys and sorrows, the adversity and
prosperity that checker the careers of all. To them has been accorded the privilege
of passing down the hill of life together In their sunset days, a privilege that is
accorded comparatively few.
In politics Mr. Nott was a supporter of democratic principles in early manhood,
but after his removal to Colorado joined the ranks of the republican party, with which
he has since affiliated. He has ever been a stalwart champion of the cause of educa-
tion and for many years served as school director, thus giving the weight of his official
aid and influence to measures for the upbuilding and improvement of the school system
of the state. He has ever stood for advancement in all lines having to do with the
welfare of community and country, and has taken an advanced stand upon many
Questions relating to public progress.
ROBERT S. COX.
The life record of Robert S. Cox covered a period of almost sixty-five years. Through
much of this time he was identified with ranching interests in Colorado and was a
most respected citizen of Loveland and of Weld county. He vvfas born in New Jersey,
September 3, 1837, a son of Stewart and Julia A. (Ivens) Cox, who were also natives
of that state. The father followed farming in New Jersey and afterward in Indiana,
devoting his entire life to agricultural pursuits. He put aside the cares and labors of
the farm, however, after the death of his second wife. His first wife passed away in
1840 and following the death of his second wife Stewart Cox made his home with
his son Robert until his demise, which occurred in 1888.
Robert S. Cox spent his youthful days in Indiana, where his experiences were
those of the tarmbred boy who divides his time between the duties of the schoolroom,
the pleasures of tlie playground and the work of the fields. He remained with his
father until he had attained his majority and in 1861, when a young man of twenty-
four years, he responded to the country's call for troops to aid in the preservation of
the Union, enlisting as a member of Company I, Forty-seventh Indiana Infantry, with
which he served for four years. He then returned home with a most creditable mili-
tary record, having valiantly defended the Union cause on many a southern battlefield.
He afterward engaged in clerking in Indiana until 1883. when he determined to try
his fortune in the west and made his way to Colorado, where he purchased a ranch
in Weld county. This he cultivated and Improved for six years, after which he re-
moved to Greeley, where he made his home for a year and a half. He then took up
his abode in Loveland and purchased forty-eight acres adjoining the city, in fact the
tract is now a part of the city. His attention and energies were further given to the
development and cultivation of the place until his death, which occurred in August,
1902. Since that time his widow has sold off most of the land in acre tracts, still
occupying the old home.
It was in January, 1861, that Mr. Cox was united in marriage to Miss Martha Jane
Ogden, a daughter of Elihu and Sarah A. (Parish) Ogden, who were natives of Mary-
land and of Ohio respectively. Mrs. Cox was born in Indiana in March, 1843. her
parents having removed to that state at an early day. Her father was a farmer and
stock raiser and bought and Improved land in the Hoosier state, devoting his remaining
days to farming in Indiana. He died in 1860, while his wife was called to her final
rest in February, 1874. To Mr. and Mrs. Cox were born six children: Homer D., now
residing at Loveland; Nellie, the wife of Willis Sheets, whose home is in Montana;
Burchard M., a resident farmer of Larimer county; and Lulu M., Florence A. and
George S., all deceased.
Mr. Cox served as a justice of the peace in Weld county and was faihtful In office,
his decisions at all times being strictly fair and impartial, based upon the law and
the equity in the case. His political endorsement was given to the republican party
and his religious faith was that of the Methodist Episcopal church, to the teachings of
which he loyally adhered. He was also a consistent member of the Masonic fraternity
and he proudly wore the little bronze button that proclaimed him a member of the
Grand Army of the Republic. In all matters of citizenship he was as true and loyal to
his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner on southern battlefields.
In fact his entire life was marked by integrity and faithfulness to duty and his sterling
ROBERT S. COX
232 HISTORY OF COLORADO
worth -won for him warm friendships, so that his death was deeply regretted not only
by his immediate family but throughout the entire community when he was called to
the home beyond.
JOHN M. HOPPER.
John M. Hopper is now largely living retired upon his valuable farm property in
the vicinity of Matheson. His has been an active and useful life and his identification
with Elbert county covers an extended period, while his residence in Colorado dates
from about 1888. He was born in Guernsey county. Ohio, February 17, 1849. His
father, John Hopper, was a native of Virginia, while his mother, who bore the maiden
name of Eliza McGregor, was of Scotch birth. The family removed from Ohio to
Illinois when John M. Hopper was a youth of seventeen years and at a subsequent
date the family home was established in Iowa. He was reared to the occupation of
farming, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring
for the crops. Thirty years ago he came to Colorado and for a time was a resident of
Pueblo but subsequently removed to Elbert county and homesteaded. The property
which he secured at that early day and which was then a tract of wild, undeveloped
land that has now been transformed into a valuable farm is being operated by his
only son, Bert B. Hopper. As the years passed John M. Hopper added to his original
holdings by purchase from time to time until he now has nine hundred and sixty acres.
On the 5th of September, 1878, Mr. Hopper was united in marriage to Miss Lettie
0. Scovel, of Sheridan, Iowa, a daughter of Eli H. and Daphne (Boss) Scovel of Cat-'
taraugus county, New York, who later became residents of Colorado. Her father's
people were of Scotch lineage and the family was established in America in colonial
days. The Boss family came from Massachusetts, and thus in both lines Mrs. Hopper
is a representative of old families of New England. She is a lady of marked intel-
lectual force, exceptionally well informed, keeping in touch with all the vital questions
and issues of the day. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hopper are widely and favorably known,
their social as well as their financial position being an enviable one, while the sterling