traits of their character have gained for them the high respect and unfaltering friend-
ship of those with whom they have been brought in contact.
Bert B. Hopper was born in Derby, Iowa, October 13, 1879, and removed with his
parents to Colorado when about nine years of age. He received his education largely
in the schools of Pueblo and after discarding his textbooks turned his attention to
agricultural pursuits and is now operating the extensive farm of his father. On Decem-
ber 2, 1908, he married Fern Turner, a daughter of Judge Turner of Kiowa and to them
have been born two children: Dwight, whose birth occurred on March 28, 1910, in
Colorado Springs; and Donald, born in Kiowa, January 10, 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Bert
B. Hopper are popular in the younger social set of Elbert county where they have
many friends, and he has ever given his wholehearted support to worthy movements
undertaken on behalf of the general public, along lines of material as well as mental
and moral advancement, thus proving himself a valuable citizen. Moreover, he con-
tributes to general prosperity by the further improvement of his ranch, thus pro-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
moting agricultural progress along modern ideas.
W. H. NEVEU.
W. H. Neveu, one of the best known representatives of iron manufacturing interests
in Denver as well' as the pioneer manufacturer of radiators not only in this city but
in this section of the entire west, has acquired his high position as a representative of
that industry through superior workmanship and a thorough technical knowledge of
Mr. Neveu was born in Stamford, Connecticut, September 7. 1876, a son of Moses
and Josephine (Cadron) Neveu, the former a native of Montreal, Canada, and the
latter of North Adams, Massachusetts. The father came across the border into the
United States when a youth, and afterward learned the carpenter's trade, which he
later followed in Stamford, Connecticut, and subsequently in St. Paul. Minnesota, re-
moving with his family to the latter city in the early '80s, where he continued to
reside until he came to Denver in 1889. When he located here he took up contracting,
which business he followed for some time. He afterward engaged in the bakery
234 HISTORY OF COLO^ ADO
business in North Denver and is now at the head of a profitable trade in that line. \
His father, also named Moses, was a well known contractor of Denver in the early
days and lived to a ripe old age, passing away in this city in 1915. The grandmother,
Mrs. Mary Neveu, was called to her final rest In Denver in 1911. There were three
children born to Moses and Josephine Neveu: W. H., of this review; Frank, who is
living in Houston, Texas; and Mrs. Sophie Parkin, a resident of Salt Lake City, Utah.
W. H. Neveu attended the public schools of St. Paul, Minnesota, and later of
Denver. Entering upon his business career, he was for some time connected with
the grocery trade, while later he gave his attention to the meat business, remaining
active along those lines for about eight yeays. Following this he served an apprentice-
ship as a sheet metal worker and in going into business for himself, in 1903, he
bought out the interests of Elias Mathews, who was proprietor of one of the oldest
sheet metal concerns in Denver, having established business in 187S. Soon after taking
over these interests Mr. Neveu included in the business that of radiator repairing,
so that his connection with that branch of the industry dates back to the earliest days.
Later, as the business grew and expanded, it was devoted solely to radiator manufac-
turing and repairing and its equipment was increased until it now includes a complete
outfit such as is necessary for the most intricate repair job or the construction of any
kind of new work in the line of radiators. By close attention to his business and
personal supervision of all work turned out, Mr. Neveu has built up the leading enter-
prise of its kind In the Rocky Mountain country. Holding to the adage that a sat-
isfied customer is the most effective form of advertising, his work has come to be a
standard and his commercial integrity is unquestioned. Mr. Neveu has made a decided
success of his business and in so doing deserves great credit, for this has resulted
entirely from his unaided efforts, determined purpose and laudable ambition.
On the 10th of February, 1S9S, Mr. Neveu was married to Miss Mabel Morgan, of
Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Morgan, who were pioneer people of this
city, arriving in 1860. Mr. and Mrs. Neveu have three children. Walter F., born in
Denver in January, 1899, is now In school. Irene and Leona are also in school.
Mr. Neveu is a member of the Royal Arcanum and also of the Kiwanis Club.
He belongs likewise to the Denver Civic and Commercial Association and to the Man-
ufacturers Association and he is regarded as one of the reliable business men of the
J. H. McKEE.
J. H. McKee is senior partner in the firm of McKee & Slack, who occupy a foremost
position among the manufacturers of calendars and advertising novelties in the west.
They have built up a business of substantial and gratifying proportions along lines
which will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny.
Mr. McKee was born in Prescott, Wisconsin, June 4, 1856. a son of John and Mary
E. (Vasminder) McKee, both of whom were natives of Washington county, Pennsyl-
vania, whence they removed westward to Wisconsin in 1852. There the father engaged
in the book and stationery business until 1869, when he removed to Bloomington,
Illinois, where he carried on business in the field of insurance until his death in 1872.
His wife died at Bloomington in 1903. They had a family of five children, namely:
J. H.. of this review; James A., who has passed away; Maggie, who is also deceased;
W. I., who is engaged in the wholesale lumber business at Quincy, Illinois; and
Frank W., who is a prominent figure in musical circles of New York city, being the
well known composer of many popular songs and instrumental pieces, and is now
called by leading musical journals "the Waltz King."
At the usual age J. H. McKee became a pupil in the public schools of Prescott,
Wisconsin, and afterward spent a year as a student in the ward school at Bloomington,
Illinois. Upon his father's death there devolved upon him the responsibility of sup-
porting his mother and the younger brothers and sister. He then engaged in the book
and notion business until his twenty-first year. During this time he took a great interest
In athletics, especially running and walking, he having covered one hundred yards
sixteen different times in ten seconds flat, also walked one mile in seven minutes and
twenty-six seconds, which was within twenty-eight seconds of the world's record at
that time. He decided to become a traveling salesman and went upon the road as a
representative of a cigar and tobacco house. He won success as "a knight of the
grip," building up a large trade for the company which he represented. He con-
tinued upon the road for thirteen years and then in 1890 came to Denver. Here he
HISTORY OF COLORADO 235
was appointed register of tlie land office under the administration of President Ben-
jamin Harrison and located at Hugo, Colorado, opening the office at that place. He
occupied the position for four years and while so engaged he was also state agent
for the Manhattan Life Insurance Company. A change in politics left him out of
office and in 1894 he returned to Denver, where he later became engaged In the bicycle
business, in which he continued only one year. He afterward was associated with
Williams, Wood & Company, wholesale grocers, in the capacity of buyer and manager
of the cigar department and remained In that connection for two years, when they
discontinued business. He subsequently entered the mercantile brokerage business,
handling belts, belt dressing paint and other commodities, and conducted a successful
business of that character until 1900. He then sold out and went on the road, selling
calendars and advertising novelties on commission. In 1906 he formed a partnership
with G. E. Slack in the manufacture of calendars and advertising novelties. In their
manufacturing and jobbing interests the firm has risen to prominence and are now
conducting one of the largest business enterprises of the kind in the west. Their
trade covers the five states of Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona
and the business is steadily increasing. They have ever recognized the fact that sat-
isfied patrons are the best advertisement and their earnest desire to please their cus-
tomers has been a salient feature in the growth of their trade.
On the 6th of September, 1883, Mr. McKee was married at Lexington, Illinois,
to Miss Nora Preble, a daughter of Chester and Louise Preble. They now have one
child, George Lloyd McKee, born in Bloomington, Illinois, in 1890. He was edu-
cated in Denver and married Miss Nellie Bowles, of Littleton, Colorado. He is now
engaged in farming.
Mr. McKee belongs to the Civic and Commercial Association, the Advertising Club
and the United Commercial Travelers Association. In politics he maintains an inde-
pendent course, voting according to the dictates of his judgment with little regard
for party ties. He has worked his way upward entirely unassisted and is a self-made
man who as the architect of his fortunes has builded wisely and well. He started
out in the world with a cash capital of but twelve dollars and a half and today he
ranks with the representative manufacturers of his adopted city.
WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON CRANMER.
William Henry Harrison Cranmer. who for many years was actively, prominently
and successfully identified with the cattle industry in Colorado and whose enterprise
yet finds tangible evidence in the Ernest & Cranmer building of Denver, was born in
Cooper county, Missouri, in 1841, his parents having removed from Tennessee to
Missouri, at which time they took up their abode in Warrensburg. The mother died
when her son William was but thirteen years of age. He attended school in his native
county and with his twin brother, Thomas, served in the Confederate army, participat-
ing in the campaigns in Missouri and Kansas and making a gallant record. When
the war was over he went to Texas, where he engaged in the cattle business and there
became acquainted with John Hittson, for whom he worked as foreman for ten years.
Mr. Cranmer's residence in Colorado dated from 1869, although he had previously
visited the state in connection with his employer's cattle interests. In that year, how-
ever, he embarked in the cattle business on his own account, becoming a partner of Wil-
liam Hittson. brother of John Hittson, in the purchase of the Three Circle ranch in Elbert
county. After the marriage of his partner Mr. Cranmer bought his Interest in the
business and thus established an extensive cattle business which proved his lifelong
occupation and brought him substantial wealth. He also engaged in the real estate
business to some extent. Investing his profits from the cattle industry in property.
He was also associated with Finis P. Ernest in the erection of the Ernest & Cran-
mer building of Denver, which still stands as a substantial monument to the enterprise
and progressiveness of the builders.
On the 22d of December. 1874, Mr. Cranmer was united in marriage at the White
ranch, the home of the bride, then in Arapahoe county, to MSss Martha J. Hittson, born
in Palo Pinto county, Texas, a daughter of his former employer, and they became the
parents of seven children. Jessie May, the eldest, is the wife of William P. McPhee, of
Denver, and they have three children: William Cranmer, John Raymond and Willamain
Cranmer. Jennie Leontine became the wife of William C. Russell, a mining man, and has
one son, William C, Jr. William Henry Harrison. Jr.. married Margaret Wood and is the
father of two sons, William H. H. (Ill) and Robert Lorin. W. H. H. Cranmer, Jr.,
MARTHA J. CRANMER
WILLIAM H. H. CRANMER
238 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Is now captain of Battery B, One Hundred and Forty-eighth Regiment of the First
Artillery, and is serving in France. George Erne&t, now at camp Zachary Taylor,
Louisville, Kentucky, married Jean Chappell. daughter of the late Delos Chappell, of
Denver, and has four children: Allen, Forest, Silvia and Chappell. Norma died at
the age of nine months. Catherine H. formerly resided in New York city, is now at a
government school in Portland, Oregon, taking a course in physio-therapy preparing
for government service. Willamain H. is the wife of Grover Coors, of Golden, Colorado.
The family circle was broken by the hand of death when on the 2d of December,
1890, the husband and father was called to his final rest. He was a man devoted to
the welfare and happiness of his family and found his greatest pleasure in promoting
their best interests. As a business man he ranked among the prominent representatives
of the cattle industry in Colorado, his interests being most carefully and intelligently
directed. He was one of those who helped to build up the great cattle Interests of the
state and at all times he stood for progress and improvement in public affairs, the
sterling worth of his character and the integrity of his activities bringing him the
highest respect of all with whom he came in contact.
MRS. MARTHA J. CRANMER.
It is a matter of history that Colorado was one of the first states in the union to
adopt woman sufi'rage; it is further a matter of history that suffrage has been success-
ful here, a condition induced in great measure by the character of the women concerned.
Governmental powers were accepted by them with moderation instead of radicalism,
even as these powers had been sought by feminine wisdom and tact instead of mili-
tancy. It is with one of these women that this sketch has to do, to treat of her
character and work which in so many ways is typical of the warm-hearted and strong
woman of the west.
Martha J. Cranmer was born in Palo Pinto county, Texas, on October 30, 1857, a
daughter of John Hittson, mentioned elsewhere in this work. She was reared In a
home noted for its hospitality, where the latch-string was always out to the traveler
across the plains, and warm food and rest awaited him. In this atmosphere she ac-
quired the traits which have guided her in after-years in the management of her own
home and in her other associations. At an early age she was chosen by her father
to accompany him to Colorado and from that time until his death she was his constant
companion, business advisor and his inspiration. Here in the shadow of the Rockies
she married William H. H. Cranmer, whose career is set forth at length on other
pages, giving him her devotion and comradeship until his death, when she was left
with a family of children, the oldest of whom was fifteen. These she reared to man-
hood and womanhood as she herself had been taught, and has been rewarded by seeing
them joined by marriage to the best families of the middle west. Not only did Mrs.
Cranmer accomplish the task of maintaining her home, but found the opportunity to
indulge her desires and energy in other activities, social, political, philanthropic and
Of democratic affiliation. Mrs. Cranmer's most notable position In political life is
that of membership upon the state board of pardons, to which position she was first
appointed by Governor Ammons. Her most recent appointment to this board was by
Governor Gunter in December, 1918. Mrs. Cranmer has also been a member for four
years of the state central committee and has taken leading part in the various state
conventions, also participating as a member of numerous committees.
In her charitable work Mrs. Cranmer found opportunity, when the United States
entered the World war, to be of inestimable benefit to the boys who were enlisting and
who came to Denver before departing for the training camps. She made almost daily
trips to Fort Logan, carrying delicacies and clothing for the soldiers who were ill,
even going into the wards and giving to them the kind attentions which only a loving
mother's heart knows. Those in the ranks and upon the staffs, also those of civilian life
who knew of her work, regarded her with profound respect and affection which was
expressed in many ways. In the campaigns for the Liberty loans, in the Red Cross
drives, and in all the other activities connected with the war. Mrs. Cranmer took a
leading part in addition to contributing a large share of the material benefits.
In other charitable enterprises Mrs. Cranmer has also been prominent, being vice
president of the Sauds House Association, and chairman of the house committee of
this organization. In these different phases of her work, social, political, civic, Mrs.
Cranmer has borne herself with that quiet, domestic dignity which is the criterion of
HISTORY OF COLORADO 239
sterling womanhood, the quality of which cannot be mistaken. She has accomplished
material results through her energy, courage and enjoyment of the work in hand,
the simple pleasure of seeing the light of gratitude in another's eyes being sufficient
pay in her estimation.
Mrs. Cranmer, though unostentatious in her social life, holds membership in many
of the clubs of the city, among them being the Territorial Daughters of Colorado, the
Woman's Press Club, the Daughters of the Confederacy, the Jane Jeffersons, the
National Suffrage Association, the East Side Woman's Club of Denver, the Old Ladies'
Home, Radiant Chapter of the Eastern Star, the S. 0. 0. B. Lodge, and the Society of
The Nearest Kin
CHARLES W. SAVERY.
Among the leading security investment brokers who have forged their way to
the front is Charles W. Savery, now one of the prosperous representatives of this
line of activity in Denver. Prior to his removal to this city he was engaged in
the brokerage business in Philadelphia but while there lost nearly his entire fortune
and after paying off his debts he came to Denver to start anew with a cash capital
of less than six hundred dollars. In the intervening years he has become one of
the most prosperous security investment brokers of the city, due to his good judg-
ment and honorable business methods.
Mr. Savery was born in Philadelphia, November 15, 1878, a son of Stephen
and Susan (Forsythe) Savery, who were also natives of the Keystone state, where
they spent their entire lives, the father there engaging in farming. Their family
numbered six children, of whom Charles W. Savery was the second. He attended
the West Town school and also a Quaker boarding school of his native city, from
which he was graduated at the age of seventeen years. He was afterward em-
ployed in various ways and for a time devoted his attention to the lumber trade,
while subsequently he secured a position in connection with the brokerage business,
spending six years in that way in the east. In 19 08. following heavy losses in Phila-
delphia, he came to Denver and with a very limited capital embarked in the broker-
age business here. In 1910 he incorporated his interests and has since been presi-
dent of the C. W. Savery Securities Company, handling all kinds of high grade
securities. He also organized the Fifty-Fifty Food Growers' Association, which
has nine hundred and sixty acres of valuable land on Boulevard F, ten miles from
Denver, and he was one of the organizers of the Apex Refining Compamy, which has
filling stations at various places. Mr. Sachs and Mr. Savery constitute the executive
board, having entire charge. The Fifty-Fifty Food Growers' Association operates
two ranches, one of one hundred and sixty acres, fifteen miles from Denver, and
the other of eight hundred acres, situated but ten miles from Denver. This property
is equipped for the raising of hogs on an extensive scale. The company was formed
by C. W. Savery and A. B. Kamp and with them they associated W. H. Savery, who
is a graduate of the Pennsylvania State College of the department of animal hus-
bandry. They established the business of raising hogs in December, 1916. with
seventy-five brood sows and two pedigreed boars. These have multiplied until they
now have about thirteen hundred standard Duroc hogs on their ranches and have
sold hogs for pork to the value of sixteen thousand dollars. Substantial buildings
have been erected upon the ranches for the shelter of the hogs and the equipment
of the place includes an alfalfa grinder with auto truck and all modern machinery.
A farm tractor is used to operate the threshing machine in the cutting and binding
of the wheat and both machines are owned by the company. One of the ranches is
supplied with water from the Bull Irrigation canal and the eight hundred acre ranch
has upon it the Farmers' High Line ditch. The business of the company is rapidly
developing and has already become a profitable investment.
On the 16th of June, 1906, Mr. Savery was married to Miss Frances Darlington,
of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Darlington, and they have become the
parents of three children. Robert S., born in Philadelphia in 1907, is now attend-
ing school in Denver. Stewart, born in Denver, October 7, 1911, is likewise in
school. Jean, born February 4, 1914, completes the family.
In politics Mr. Savery maintains an independent course. He belongs to the
Masonic fraternity, and that he has attained high rank therein is shown in the fact
that he is now a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to the Denver Ath-
letic Club. He has worked his way upward entirely through his own efforts and
240 HISTORY OF COLORADO
is regarded as one of the prominent brokers of Denver. His advanced ideas and pro-
gressive methods are a forceful element in the attainment of his growing success.
WILLIAM H. FERGUSON.
William H. Ferguson, attorney at law, practicing in Denver as a member of the
firm of Smith, Brock & Ferguson, was born January 9, 1884, in Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania, a son of William C. and Annie (McKnlght) Ferguson.
William H. Ferguson, the youngest of a family of six children, was educated in
the public and high schools of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and was graduated, magna
cum laude, from Washington and Jefferson College in 1905 with the Bachelor of Arts
degree, being the honor man of his class. He completed his law course at the University
of Denver in 1908, receiving an LL. B. degree. He then began the practice of law
in Denver. He was associated with the firm of Smith and Brock from 1909 to 1912 and
in the latter year became a member of this firm which at that time adopted the firm
name of Smith, Brock & Ferguson. In 1910, he was offered and accepted a place on
the faculty of the law school of the University of Denver and has since continued
to lecture there on different subjects.
On January 26, 1915, Mr. Ferguson was married to Miss Janet Goetzen, a native
of Colorado. They reside at 163 Lafayette street, Denver.
He belongs to Delta Tau Delta, Phi Delta Phi, the University Club, where for
several years he has served as a director, Denver Country Club, Denver Motor Club,
and. Denver Civic and Commercial Association. He is also a member of the American
Bar" Association, the Colorado State Bar Association and the Denver Bar Association.
His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and in politics he is a re-
The firm of Smith, Brock & Ferguson, of which he is a member, is counsel for the
Bell telephone companies in the mountain states, the Continental Oil Company and
associated companies, Chicago Title and Trust Company, the Farmers Reservoir and
Irrigation Company, the Burlington Ditch, Reservoir and Land Company, the receiver
of the Denver and Salt Lake Railroad Company, several insurance companies and other
corporations and individuals and Mr. Ferguson's entire time and energy have been
devoted to his professional duties. Both in the trial and argument of cases and in
the various duties and responsibilities connected with a large and important office
practice, Mr. Ferguson is recognized as one of the leading members of the Denver bar.
THOMAS L. PHILLIPS.
Thomas L. Phillips has contributed much to the development of Elbert county
through the establishment of the town of Elizabeth, which he laid out and which has
become the leading railroad center of the county. He is engaged in ranching and ia
accounted one of the valued and representative citizens of the community. He was
born upon a farm in Delaware on the 18th of February, 1S44, and comes of good old
Revolutionary stock in both the paternal and maternal lines. The family removed