California, he made his way across the plains to the Pacific coast. His journey was
a thrilling one and while he himself escaped arousing the enmity of the Indians he wit-
nessed many harrowing scenes, one of which was the revenge taken upon a white man
by the Indians for the shooting of an Indian squaw. They skinned the man alive and
with the skin they whipped his brother and father. Such dreadful scenes as these he
was forced to witness and it may well be imagined that he was extremely grateful
when he reached his destination in safety. He successfully followed mining in Call-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 249
fornia for two years and then returned to his home with his father-in-law, Palmer
John P. Graves pursued his education in the schools of Bloomington, Illinois, to
the age of twelve, when he came to Colorado and for a tew years was employed by
James Tynon, a grocer. He then turned his attention to farming, which he followed
for several years before preempting, aboMt 1875, a tract of one hundred and sixty
acres on Dry creek. With characteristic energy he began the development of that
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
tract and continued its further cultivation until a few years ago, when he retired from
active business and removed to California, leaving the management of his ranch to his
two sons. Franlc 0. and Phillip. He lived a busy and useful life, his labors bringing
about a marked transformation in the appearance of the quarter section of land which
came into his possession. He added to it all modern accessories and equipment and
converted it into one of the fine farms of the district.
Mr. Graves was united in marriage to Mary E. Wadsworth and their children
were: Frank 0.; Ernest; Phillip; Bertha, the wife of James Crooks; and Clarence,
who is with the United States infantry in France.
Phillip Graves, to whom we are indebted for the material concerning his father,
was born upon the old homestead ranch at Arvada and was educated in the public
schools of Jefferson county. Through vacation periods and after his textbooks were
put aside he continued work on the ranch with his father and has spent the greater
part of his life on this property. He wedded Marion Crooks and to them have been
born four children, Henry, Lucy, Margaret and Benjamin.
Phillip Graves is now associated with his brother in the development of the home
farm and ranks among the enterprising agriculturists of the community. His entire
time and attention are concentrated upon the work of the fields and his labors are
productive of excellent results.
JAMES M. BRADSHAW.
James M. Bradshaw, owner of the Bradshaw ranch of nineteen hundred and
thirty acres, situated near Peyton, in El Paso county, was born in Hancock county,
Illinois, on the 5th of April, 1849, a son of John and Susanna (Dickson) Bradshaw.
He acquired a common school education and in 1866, when a youth of seventeen years,
removed to Franklin county, Kansas, where he resided upon a farm until 1885. He
then came to Colorado and purchased eighty acres of school land and also preempted
one hundred and sixty acres and homesteaded one hundred and sixty. As his financial
resources have increased he has added to his holdings from time to time, making
other purchases until his landed possessions now embrace nineteen hundred and
thirty acres, constituting one of the large and fine ranches of his section of the state.
It is devoted to the raising of stock and grain and he produces from five to ten thou-
sand bushels of grain per annum and has upon the place about one hundred and
twenty head of cattle. The Bradshaw ranch is a splendidly improved property. There
are beautiful groves of trees that surround house, barns and sheds and every modern
equipment is to be found upon the place. Well kept fences divide the farm into fields
of convenient size and the latest improved machinery facilitates the work of plowing,
planting and harvesting. He is not only an extensive grower of wheat but also mills
it on the ranch, manufacturing whole wheat graham flour, which is to be found on
sale in many stores of the locality. The ranch is pleasantly and conveniently located
about four and a half miles northwest of Peyton and Mr. Bradshaw is regarded as
one of the most substantial and progressive farmers of El Paso county.
Mr. Bradshaw was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Brubaker, of Ashland, Ohio,
who went with her parents to Douglas county, Kansas, in 1866, and was there educated. .
She became the wife of Mr. Bradshaw on the 25th of October, 1877. To Mr. and Mrs.
Bradshaw have been born two sons. Marcus, born July 28, 1878, married Sarah Barn-
hart and has two sons, George and Albert. Earl Bradshaw, after completing a high
school course, pursued a course in electricity and steam fitting at Des Moines, Iowa, and
is now engaged in business along that line.
Mr. Bradshaw is a stockholder in the Farmers State Bank of Peyton and also a
stockholder in the Peyton Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company at that place. He
is a man of sound business judgment and his life has been one of well directed
industry and thrift. He accomplishes what he undertakes by reason of a stalwart
purpose that knows no defeat. He has been a resident of El Paso county for a third
of a century and has contributed in marked measure to its progress and improvement.
JAMES M. BRADSHAW
THE JAMES M. BRADSHAW RANCH
252 HISTORY OF COLORADO
In 1918, he was a candidate for the office of county commissioner on the democratic
ticket. He is actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good in all that
he does and in the development of his farming interests is permeated by a spirit of
patriotism that prompts him to raise the largest possible wheat crops in order that
the boys over there may be well supplied. All who know him — and he has a wide ac-
quaintance — speak of him in terms of high regard.
Mett Gordon is a well known rancher of Elbert county, living on section 33, town-
ship 12, range 57, not far from Limon. He was born in Austria in 1860. a son of Mett
and Mary Gordon. The father died when the son was but an infant. The latter
acquired his education In his native country and afterward spent three years in mil-
itary service, but when he left the army he at once started for America, where he
could be free and work out his own ideas of life, enjoying and utilizing the oppor-
tunities that came his way. In the year 1885 he became a resident of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and as his financial resources were extremely limited, rendering it
imperative that he seek immediate employment, he accepted any work that offered.
He entered the steel mills, where he remained for a year, and during that time he was
studying and acquainting himself with the English language. Later he went to
Buffalo, New York, where he was employed in a brewery for a year, and then removed
to Chicago, where he secured work in a foundry. On leaving that city he made his way
to Pueblo, Colorado, and after pursuing different kinds of work he removed to Elbert
county and homesteaded on section 33, township 12, range 57. For a time he lived
in a frame house of one room. He had to go to work in order to get the necessary
money for the development of his own place. For five years he was employed by
others and during this period he saved everything possible that he had earned. He
purchased cattle one by one until at the end of five years he had eighty-five head.
During the five year period he was employed on the Holt Live Stock Company's ranch,
first at a salary of fifteen dollars per month, while later he received twenty dollars
In 1891, in Cleveland, Ohio, Mr. Gordon was married to Miss Barbara Jankovich,
a native of Austria, who has indeed been a helpmate to her husband. She did the farm
work while he was employed by others and thus materially assisted her husband in
gaining a start. During the early years of his residence in Colorado Mr. Gordon had a
very exciting experience. He decided to buy some land hut he did not have the money
nor even railroad fare with which to get to the land office in Denver. However, he
received assistance from some one in Limon, who advanced him ten dollars. He then
went to Denver and when making his way to the land office he met two well dressed
young men who spoke to him and asked him if he knew anything about land. He
replied that he knew something about it in the section where he lived. One of the
youths said his father wanted to buy some land and wished Mr. Gordon would go and
speak to him, saying that he was to be found in a certain building. After a little
persuasion Mr. Gordon went with the young men and on entering the room discovered
that it was a gambling joint. The men invited him to take a hand at cards but he
refused, saying that he had business to transact and could not waste the time, but
they prevailed upon him to stay and play. He also explained that he did not under-
stand the game and one of the young men agreed to stand behind him and tell him
what cards to play. Soon he learned that it was necessary to put the money on the
table. He realized then that if something wasn't done quickly he would lose the little
money that he had. As one of the men was moving toward him Mr. Gordon jumped
out of his chair and over another and bolted out of the door running down twenty
steps and into the street, with the gang following him, but they did not get him, as he
gained the sidewalk before they could reach him. Not being used to the country, he
did not care to call the police. He certainly had a narrow escape with his money. Not
having the necessary funds, he started out to try to borrow money and after some
difficulty in this connection he came across W. S. Pershing, of Limon, who used his
influence and enabled Mr. Gordon to gain a start. He secured four hundred dollars,
purchased his land and returned home. Since that time he has prospered and has In-
creased his stock to a great extent. He has made wonderful improvements upon his
farm, where are to be seen some of the most beautiful trees of this section. Today he
has an attractive home and surroundings of which any man might be proud. Upon
his place are large barns and outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock and he
HISTORY OF COLORADO 253
utilizes the latest improved machinery to facilitate the work of the fields. His family
have aided him in carrying out his plans and he has been very successful. To Mr.
and Mrs. Gordon were born ten children, of whom eight are yet living, Mett. Zephia,
Prank, Loie, Mary, Josie, Barbara and Bernard, and they have an adopted daughter,
Annie, who is now one of the family. The children are of the Catholic faith.
In politics Mr. Gordon has always been a republican since becoming a naturalized
American citizen, giving stalwart allegiance to the party. He is a self-educated as
well as a self-made man. He speaks the English language fluently and has become
a representative resident of the community in which he makes his home. He is
interested in community welfare, especially in the improvement of the roads, and
he stands for progress and advancement along all practical lines. His business career
has been productive of good results. He has worked earnestly and indefatigably to
attain success and is now numbered among the representative farmers and cattle
raisers of Elbert county.
FRANK LESLIE BARTLETT.
Dr. Frank Leslie Bartlett, now acting president of the Merchants Bank of Denver,
twice president of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and for over a decade the leader
in Colorado of the good roads movement, is a native of Maine, having been born at
Hanover, Oxford county, March 2, 1S52. He is a sou of Cyrus Bartlett, also a native
of the Pine Tree state, and a lineal descendant of Josiah Bartlett, one of the signers
of the Declaration of Independence.
Frank L. Bartlett when eighteen years of age entered the University of Michigan,
where he specialized in chemistry and mineralogy. During his last year in college he
held the position of tutor. For sixteen years after completing his education he was
assayer of the state of Maine, accepting that position when only twenty-one years of
age. During the period which he served in that capacity he also pursued a medical
course at Dartmouth College for the general scientific value of the study but not with
a view to practice. Later he was appointed professor of natural science at Westbrook
College, near Portland, and in 187S. during the mining excitement in eastern Maine,
he began devoting his attention to the treatment of ores. Later, at the urgent request
of the governor, he went abroad to study methods of ore treatment and upon his return
erected the Portland Smelting & Reduction Works for the treatment of ores from
eastern Maine and the provinces.
It was Dr. Bartlett who first called attention in New England to the manufacture
of sulphuric acid from iron pyrites. From the Milan mine in New Hampshire which
he purchased he laid the foundation for an extensive business in the furnishing of
pyrites to the acid manufactories. In 1880 he began his important work in the solving
of problems of treating zinciferous ores. For ten years he conducted his experiments
at the Portland works with results that were exceedingly satisfactory. He sought for
a larger field, coming to Colorado and establishing the American Zinc-Lead Smelter in
Canon City, where he began operations in 1891. His patents are among the most im-
portant in the smelting industry, one of the most notable being secured on the famous
Bartlett concentrator. It is but just to say that no other man has given such careful
attention to the study of zinc ore and few have accomplished as much as he.
On the 17th of December, 1879, Dr. Bartlett was married to Miss Hattie W.
Baldwin, of Bangor, Maine.
In 1902 Dr. Bartlett sold his interests in the American Zinc-Lead Smelter and
removed to Denver, where he engaged in the manufacture of his concentrators. Having
some spare time and being greatly interested in road improvement, he with others
organized the Colorado Motor Club and he remained its president for five years. In
1906 this club, together with the Chamber of Commerce, began a series of rcrad conven-
tions which resulted in the introduction of various road bills in the legislature and
the formation of the Colorado Good Roads Association, of whicli Dr. Bartlett was
president for two years. He was also the representative of the roads department of
the United States government for several years. He visited all parts of Colorado
in the interests of better highways and was largely instrumental in securing the present
laws relating to the public roads, in fact, his work in this connection cannot be over-
estimated. He has done much to shape public thought and action and in arousing
public sentiment concerning the improvement of the highways and his labors have
indeed been far-reaching and effective. In the meantime he was president of the
Chamber of Commerce in 1910 and 1911 and while acting in that office taised the money
254 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and buUt the fine building of the Chamber in Champa street. This is now owned and
occupied by the Civic and Commercial Association and other allied commercial asso-
ciations. During his connection with the Chamber of Commerce Dr. Bartlett inaugu-
rated the movement for and secured the consolidation of the city and county of Denver
and was instrumental in bringing about other reforms and improvements in connec-
tion with the civic welfare.
Dr. Bartlett has never taken an active part in politics but has ever been deeply
interested in public improvements and always ready to lend his aid and cooperation to
any undertaking for the commercial advantage of the city or the upbuilding of those
interests which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride. He remains one of the
active business men of Denver as president of the Merchants Bank, of which he was
one of the founders, and as an official of several other enterprises and his faith in
Denver and the state is indicated by his extensive investments in Colorado property.
ROBERT W. CAMPBELL.
Robert W. Campbell passed away at Longbeach, California, on the 18th of January,
1919. He had many substantial traits of character which endeared him to friends and
neighbors and, moreover, he was numbered among the pioneer settlers of Brighton and
of that section of the state. In his later years he lived practically retired in Brighton
but was still the owner of valuable farm property from which he derived a substantial
annual income. He was born in Nashville, Tennessee, on the 25th of March, 1860, and
was of Scotch descent. His parents, John B. and Maria (Allen) Campbell, were both
natives of the land of hills and heather, in which they were reared and married. In
the early '50s they determined to try their fortune in the new world and crossed the
Atlantic to the United States. They established their home at Nashville, Tennessee,
but after living there for several years removed to Indiana, where they took up their
abode on a farm about 1866. Their remaining days were passed in that state and they
were among the highly respected residents of the community in which they made
their home. They had a family of seven children, four of whom are yet living.
Robert W. Campbell was but three years of age when he went with his parents
to Indiana, where he was reared and educated, mastering the branches of learning
taught in the public schools. In 1884 he came to Colorado, settling at Brighton, and
for eleven years was employed in the Brighton creamery, first as a helper, later as
engineer and then general manager in full charge of the business, his fidelity as well
as his keen executive ability having been quickly recognized by those with whom he
had business relations. He was then appointed postmaster and occupied that position
for three terms under republican administrations. As time passed he made investments
in property and became the owner of five hundred acres of fine farm land. In 1918 he
raised six thousand bushels of wheat and six hundred bushels of beans. He gave gen-
eral supervision to his farming and ranching interests, but the actual work of the place
was done by those whom he employed. His sound judgment and keen discrimination,
however, were important elements in the successful conduct of his place.
In April, 1884, the year in which he came to Colorado, Mr. Campbell was mar-ried
to Miss Ella Whitehead, a native of Indiana, and they became parents of two daughters,
but the first born, Carrie, is deceased. The other daughter. Bessie, has become the
wife of Harry Bates and is now living in Denver. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell owned and
occupied a fine residence in the village of Brighton and enjoyed all of the comforts
and many of the luxuries of life.
In his political aflSliations. Mr. Campbell was a stalwart republican, and he always
endorsed and ardently supported the principles of the party. He served as road over-
seer for eight years, when John Twombly was county commissioner from the Brighton
district and when Adams and Denver counties were a part of old Arapahoe county, and
to his initiative and personal efforts may be attributed, in large measure, the excellent
roads of the district. When Adams county was formed he took an especially active
part in the contest for the location of the county seat, and the leading members of both
political parties willingly gave him much credit for his work in winning the contest
for Brighton. He also participated in the early politics of Denver and was recognized
as one of those men who fought the battles fairly ind aboveboard. He would never
countenance, nor desire, a questionable victory, nor would he deign to employ those
petty tricks so often the subterfuge of the professional politician. He could accept an
honorable defeat, if the voters of his district so willed, rather than be returned
ROBERT W. CAMPBELL
256 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the victor in a contest won through dishonest methods. After discontinuing his work
as road overseer, he purchased the farm where he resided four years, after which
he was appointed postmaster for Brighton, and served in ihat capacity for twelve
There were no spectacular phases in the life of Mr. Campbell. He pursued the
even tenor of his way in the conduct of his business, and his diligence and determina-
tion were the salient points in winning him the success that numbered him with the
substantial residents of Adajns county. Moreover, the methods which he employed
won for him an honored name and he was among the valued and respected citizens
of Brighton. Some time prior to his death Mr. Campbell suffered from an automobile
accident, from which he never fully recovered. Thinlcing that he might be benefitted
by a western trip, he went to Longbeach, California. The trip, however, was too much
for him and there he passed away. When the news of his death was received in
Brighton it caused deep sorrow throughout the town, tor his many substantial traits of
character had endeared him to those with whom he was associated and everywhere
he was spoken of in terms of high regard. He possessed the qualities of good citizen-
ship, of fidelity in friendship, and one who knew him well said he was "always identified
with all public movements, liberal to a fault, a typical big-hearted westerner."
WILLIAM C. BRADBURY.
William C. Bradbury is numbered among the builders of the great western empire.
His life work literally and figuratively has been along construction lines, leading to the
utilization of the natural resources and to the development of Colorado in many ways.
An eminent American statesman has said that eastern training and learning grafted
upon western opportunity produces the strongest in American citizenship. William C.
Bradbury constitutes an example of this. He was born in Taunton, Massachusetts, Febru-
ary 1, 1849, a son of Cotton C, and Rebecca Bradbury. His father was born in York,
Maine, in August. 1822, and the mother, who bore the maiden name of Rebecca Brewer,
was born in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1819, a representative of one of the old Quaker
families. Soon after the birth of William C. Bradbury, the father went to California,
attracted by the mining excitement on the Pacific coast. The trip was made in 1849
by way of the overland route and after two years spent on the western coast he returned
by way of the Isthmus of Panama. During the early youth of his son William, he and
his family resided in Boston or near that city. There were five sons but only two are
now living, the surviving brother of our subject being George E. Bradbury, of Colorado.
William C. Bradbury acquired a common school education in Boston, Massachusetts,
and Providence, Rhode Island, but when fourteen years of age ran away from home to
enlist for service in the Civil war. He was accepted and spent two weeks as a drummer
boy, after which his father found him and took him home. For a year or two afterward,
however, he was so persistent in his desire to enter the army that his father finally gave
consent but by that time the eighteen-year-old law was rigidly enforced and Mr. Brad-
bury, being young in appearance and slight in build, was not accepted at the recruiting
offices of either the army or the navy in Boston, to both of which he applied. Between
1868 and 1871 he held several salaried positions in Boston and for a year owned and
operated a job printing office in that city. In 1871 he came to the west to make a pay-
ment on properties at Evans, Colorado, for his father, who was interested with a num-
ber of St, Louis parties in colonizing the town of Evans. Mr. Bradbury arrived in Denver
in June, 1871, and concluded to remain in this state. As a boy he had always been
intensely interested in hunting, trapping and fishing and he spent the winter of 1871-2
in the cattle camp of Lyman Cole at Fremont Orchard, on the Platte river in Colorado,
in hunting buffaloes, antelope and wolves and in trapping otter, beaver and other fur-
bearing animals, as well as in making a trip to the mountains up the Cache la Poudre
river after elk and deer.
In the spring of 1872, Mr, Bradbury was united in marriage to Miss Hattie A.
Howe, who came from Boston, Massachusetts, to Colorado with her parents in 1871.
Mr. and Mrs. Bradbury began their domestic life in Denver, which at that time was a
city of five thousand population. They became the parents of seven children: Buckley
C. Miriam, William C, Harriet, Isabelle B., Luther F. and George Edward; but only
four of the number are now living, these being: Harriet, the wife of G. H. Locke, of