Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 33 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 33 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Milford, Massachusetts; Isabelle B., now Mrs. I. B. Gelder, of Denver; Luther F., of
Boston, Massachusetts; and George E., who is now a member of the United States
aviation service.




WILLIAM C. BRADBURY



258 HISTORY OF COLORADO

After establishing his home in Denver, Mr. Bradbury entered the employ of Lewis
& Bancroft, architects, as a draftsman and in the latter' part of the year 1872 removed
to Colorado Springs, where he entered mercantile circles, establishing a prosperous
business as a dealer in paints, oils, glass, artists' materials and wall paper, and employ-
ing a force of men for painting and paper hanging. He continued the business until
1878, when his health failed and, physicians insisting that he must live out-of-doors, he
sold the business and began freighting with a mule outfit from Colorado Springs to
Leadville. His patronage in this direction increased until he was utilizing five eight-
mule teams, the route being up Ute Pass via South Park and Buena Vista. At the
same time he also established a six-horse stage line and mail route from Colorado
Springs to Leadville, via Ute Pass and Western Pass, and operated these until the
South Park Railroad was completed into South Park and the Rio Grande Railroad was
approaching Leadville, making it impossible to further compete with the railroads.
His entire outfit was then taken to Tres Piedras, New Mexico, where under R. E. Sloan,
who was then in charge of the southern division of the tie and timber department of
the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad construction, he was put in charge of two sawmills
and the tie camps at Tres Piedras and of the transportation of the lumber and ties
from these camps used in the construction of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad between
Antonita and the New Mexico state line. From there he moved the mules and mill out-
fits and performed similar services in the construction of portions of the line of the
same railroad between Chama and Durango. This being completed, his outfits were
then moved on to be used in connection with grading work on the Burlington Railroad,
then building into Denver. He completed his first contract of six miles of railroad grad-
ing near the present town of Akron, Colorado, and from that time until 1909 was actively
engaged in railroad construction, doing work in various departments, including tunnel-
ling, grading, masonry, bridge work and track laying, in many of the western states and
old Mexico. He also constructed numerous irrigation systems of canals and reservoirs
in Colorado, New Mexico. Idaho and Wyoming. Associated with partners he had the
contract for forty miles of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad in Montana. He
also had the contract for thirty miles of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad in Colo-
rado and Nebraska, fifty miles of the Oregon Short Line Railroad in Idaho, thirty-
five miles of the Colorado Midland Railroad in Colorado, one hundred and twenty miles
of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific between the Missouri river and Colorado Springs,
Colorado. He also constructed ninety-seven miles of the Pecos Valley Railroad in
Texas and New Mexico, including grading, bridging and track laying, had the contract
for large portions of the Chihuahua & Pacific Railroad in old Mexico, fifty miles of the
Denver, Texas & Fort Worth Railroad in Colorado, forty miles of the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Northern in Illinois and Wisconsin, also portions of the Laramie. Hahns Peak &
Pacific Railroad in Wyoming, three hundred miles of the Union Pacific Railroad, includ-
ing new and second track, in Kansas, Nebraska. Wyoming and Colorado and sundry
short lines for the Denver & Rio Grande and tor the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company
in Colorado. He has constructed numerous irrigation systems. Including canals and
storage reservoirs, in the states of Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico, of which
the following are some of the larger and more important: the systems of the Idaho
Mining & Irrigation Company' of Idaho; the Wyoming Development Company in Wyom-
ing, of which the town of Wheatland is now the business center; the Pecos Valley irri-
gation system. New Mexico, of which Carlsbad and Roswell are the principal centers;
and the Colorado canal in Colorado.

Mr. Bradbury has also been engaged in sundry development projects of the state,
the most conspicuous being perhaps the lands under the Colorado canal mentioned above
which takes its water from the north side of the Arkansas river, about twenty miles
east of Pueblo, and covers the lands surrounding the present towns of Ordway, Sugar
City, Olney Springs and Crowley. He constructed this canal in 1890 under contract and
afterward acquired ownership of the same, as well as thirty-five thousand acres of land
underlying it, which he purchased from the state of Colorado. At the time of construc-
tion there was not a habitation under the line of the canal, the land being open pmirie
cattle range, though the Missouri Pacific Railroad had been completed through it.
Shortly after the construction of the canal he sold large interests in the property but
has been continually interested and engaged in its colonization and development up to
the present. At one time, while still owning ten thousand acres of the lands and water
rights, he operated sixteen different farms of large acreage under irrigation and at times
was interested in the cattle and sheep business, one year feeding and fattening seven
thousand head of lambs, which he sold in eastern markets; and the following year he
fattened, and marketed in the east seventeen thousand head of lambs. While develop-



HISTORY OF COLORADO 259

ing the properties he also planted, on the same, over seven hundred acres in apple and
other fruit orchards.

Mr. Bradbury has always been an enthusiastic sportsman and angler since earliest
childhood, having hunted all smaller game and fish as a boy in New Englaud, while
after coming to Colorado he annually hunted buffalo until 1876, when they became scarce.
He has devoted all his spare time and found his recreation in the hunting of game on the
plains and mountains of the west, including elk, deer, sheep, antelope, bear, etc., down
to the smaller game animals and game birds. He has enjoyed fishing in most of the
western states and also fished in the ocean for salmon, tuna, sword fish and all other
large garqe fish of the Pacific, together with tarpon and other game fish of the Gulf, as
well as all the large game fish of Florida and the Atlantic waters. He is and has been
a member of numerous hunting and fishing clubs of Colorado, Utah, California and
Texas, including the Tuna Club of California, and he likewise has membership in the
Denver and other clubs of the capital. For years he has been an enthusiastic
oblogical student and collector and has donated to the Colorado Museum of Natural
History probably the most extensive collection of birds' eggs on public exhibition in the
United States, comprising over four thousand five hundred sets of eggs with nests and
representing nearly nine hundred different species of North American birds. His life
has been one of intense activity and broad usefulness. His labors have always been
of a character that have contributed to upbuilding and progress and he has been a
most dominant factor in shaping the development of the west, opportunity ever being
to him a call to action to which he has made ready response.



SAMUEL BERESFORD CHILDS, M, D.

Dr. Samuel Beresford Childs of Denver, widely known physician and roentgenol-
ogist, is a man of broad scientific knowledge and training. He is one of the early
workers in the field of roentgenology.

Dr. Childs comes from Connecticut, having been born in East Hartford, November
5, 1861, a son of Dr. Seth Lee and Juliet (Wood) Childs. The elder Dr. Childs was
a prominent physician of Connecticut, where he practiced his profession for over
forty years, leaving the impre.ss of his individuality upon public thought and opinion,
having served as a member of the Connecticut state senate. His wife was a daughter
of the Rev. Luke Wood, a talented Congregational minister.

Dr. Samuel B. Childs attended the Hartford public schools and was graduated
from the Hartford high school with the class of 1879. He was graduated from the
academic department of Yale University with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1883,
and in 1887 he won his M. D. from New York University Medical School. In the
interim he had devoted the years 1884 and 1885 to teaching school in East Hartford.
Following his graduation from medical college he became an interne in the out-
patient department of Chambers Street Hospital of New York and in June, 1887, was
appointed an interne in the Hartford Hospital, and during the last ten months of
his service there was house physician and surgeon. He began practice in Hartford
in 1888 as a physician and surgeon and continued in that city until 1895 when, on
account of his health, he came to Denver and soon thereafter resumed the active
practice of his profession.

Since 1900 he has devoted his attention to diagnosis and to treatment by the
use of the Roentgen-ray. From 1900 to 1912 he was professor of anatomy in the
Denver University Medical School and in the Denver and Gross Medical College.
Since 1912 he has been professor of roentgenology in the medical department of the
University of Colorado. He is a member of the Medical Society of the City and
County of Denver and has served as its president. He is also a member of the
American Medical Association and of the American Roentgenological Society.

Dr. Childs was a member of the Hartford City Guard of the Connecticut state
militia and in 1888 and 1889 he was assistant surgeon of the Connecticut National
Guard. In politics he maintains an independent course, voting for men and measures
rather than for party. He is a great lover of out-door sports, — is an enthusiastic
hunter, fisherman and golfer. He belongs to the Denver Club, Denver Country Club
and to the Colorado Yale Association and was president of the Yale Association in
1911. He is a member of the Twenty-Third Avenue Presbyterian church. Dr. Childs
has ever been actuated by high ideals and in his practice he has striven to attain the
highest degree of efficiency.

Dr. Childs has been twice married, his first wife being Henrietta Willett, whom



260 HISTORY OF COLORADO

he married in 1890 in West Hebron, New York, and who died in 1906, leaving one
son, John Wood, who was born in 1896. In 1908 Dr. Childs married Anne Starling of
Henderson, Kentucky. Mrs. Childs Is a great-great-granddaughter of Justice Thomas
Todd of the United States supreme court, who married Lucy Payne Washington, the
young widow of George Steptoe Washington and only sister of Dolly Madison. Lucy
Payne Washington lived with her sister, Mrs. Madison and her marriage to Justice
Todd was the first marriage to be solemnized in the White House.
Dr. and Mrs. Childs have one son. Samuel Beresford, Jr.



JOHN SAHM.



For twenty-seven years John Sahm has been a resident of Colorado, arriving in
Elbert county in 1891, and through the intervening period he has contributed much
to Its agricultural development. He was born in Belleville, Illinois, on the 15th of
December, 1866, and is a son of German parents who on coming to the new world
settled at Belleville. In the schools of his native city John Sahm pursued his educa-
tion and was a young man of twenty-five years when he sought the opportunities of
the west, making his way to Elbert county, Colorado. Here he purchased a farm of
six hundred acres close to the town of Elizabeth. He has a model farm property, to
which he has added many modern improvements and equipments, and today he is
regarded as one of the most prosperous men in his section. He has brought his land
under a high state of cultivation, has added substantial buildings, has divided his
place into fields of convenient size by well kept fences and he utilizes the latest
Improved farm machinery in caring for his crops.

In 1890 Mr. Sahm was united in marriage to Miss Mary Anderson. They have
had no children of their own, but their generosity has prompted them to care for
and give a home to five orphan children, one of whom came to them when seven years
of age. They were taken from the Home for Dependent Children at Denver and
from St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum. All have been given excellent educational privileges
in the fine public schools of Elizabeth and have thus been qualified for life's practical
and responsible duties. Two of the sons have enlisted and are now in the service
of their country, while the other three children are upon the farm. Mr. Sahm is a
man of generous and benevolent spirit, continually extending a helping hand where
aid is needed. In his business affairs he has displayed keen wisdom and sound judg-
ment in everything relating to the advancement of the productivity of the soil and
the raising of crops. The worth of his ideas is manifest in the large harvests which
he gathers, placing him among the substantial agriculturists of his part of the
state.



RALPH EVERET PINNICUM.

Ralph E. Finnicum, one of the brilliant young lawyers of the state of Colorado,
has recently established himself in Kiowa and has already gained a gratifying client-
age. He came to this city in May, 1918, and quickly demonstrated his ability, as is
evident from the fact that he has been chosen county attorney of Elbert county, now
ably representing the interests of the county. Formerly he was a partner in the firm
of Hilliard & Finnicum, with oflfices in the Guardian Trust building in Denver. He was
born in State Center, Iowa. December 2, 1886. a son of George E. and Effle (Ryan)
Finnicum, both of whom are living, the father being actively engaged in business as
an engineer. The mother was born in Iowa and by her marriage has two children,
the brother of Ralph E. Finnicum being Leo G. Finnicum, now a resident of Stockton,
California. The family is of English ancestry, the first of the name who settled
on this side of the Atlantic coming to the new world from England about 1800.

At the usual age Ralph E. Finnicum became a pupil in the public schools of Des
Moines, Iowa, and after mastering the work of the high school there entered the
State University of Iowa, from which he was graduated in 1912 with the LL. B. degree.
He then removed to Denver, was admitted to practice in the courts of this state in
that year, and in 1912 was also admitted to the Iowa bar. During the period of his
residence in the west he has given his attention to general law practice and while in
Denver built up a liberal clientage. Since coming to Kiowa he has continued very
successful, his previous reputation and experience greatly helping him in the building




JOHN SAHM



262 HISTORY OF COLORADO

up of his private practice. He now however gives a great deal of his time and effort
to his duties as county attorney, thereby rewarding the confidence and trust which
the public reposed in him by calling him to that office. While yet a comparatively
young man, he has already displayed marked ability, is thoroughly versed in the law
and acquainted with principle and precedent, is ever careful and painstaking in the
preparation ot his cases and clear and logical in his deductions. He is forceful and
resourceful and ably presents his cause before court and jury, readily bringing out by
close analysis the points which he desires to demonstrate. He belongs to the Denver
County and City Bar Association, of which he has been a member for about four
years, and has won many friends among his brethren of the legal profession.

In June, 1915, Mr. Finnicum was united in marriage to Miss Loraine Hilliard, ot
Denver, Colorado, the wedding being celebrated in that city. During their residence
in Colorado they have gained many friends in the state and have been received with
open arms by the young social set of Kiowa and Elbert county.

Mr. Finnicum has always taken a laudable interest in public affairs and is ever
ready to give his support to measures which he considers of value to the community,
county and state, and although he has been a resident of Elbert county for but a
short time he has been elected to the position of county attorney, giving the best
that is in him to faithfully perform his duties in that connection. He is greatly
interested in war work and has in every way assisted in making the various drives
and campaigns of the government successful, being fully in accord with the policy set
up by the administration, of gaining a world-wide victory for democratic ideals. Per-
sonally Mr. Finnicum is well liked, as he is easily approachable, sympathetic and
pleasant-mannered.



THEODORE ADDISON ERB.

Among the valued citizens of Akron, Colorado, who contributed much to the growth
and development of this community was Theodore Addison Erb, who for a number ot
years successfully conducted business interests here. His efforts were devoted to the
management of a hotel but he was also engaged in the plumbing business, and it
was through an accident while performing labors in this line that his life was termi-
nated in 1914. Although it is now several years since Mr. Erb has passed away, his
memory is still enshrined in the hearts of his friends, who respected him as an hon-
orable and straightforward man of high qualities of heart and character.

Theodore A. Erb was a native of Maryland, where he was born March 24, 1852.
a son of Christopher and Mary (Shade) Erb, natives of Pennsylvania. For many
years Christopher Erb followed agricultural pursuits in Virginia, to which state he
had removed from Pennsylvania in his youth, and the Old Dominion remained his
home until death called him in 1903. His wife had preceded him to the home beyond
in 1S96.

Although born in Maryland, Theodore A. Erb was reared in Virginia, where the
parental home was established, and he received his education in the home neighbor-
hood. His schooling, however, was very limited, for he put aside his textbooks at the
age of eleven and began to learn the blacksmith and wagon maker's trade. Becoming
proficient in these lines, he continued to work at his trade in Virginia until 1885,
when at the age of thirty-three he decided to seek the less thickly populated sections
of the west in order to grow up with the country and improve his opportunities. He
first removed to Trenton, Nebraska, where for five years he was engaged in the im-
plement business but at the end of that time went to McCook in the same state, there
giving his attention to the conduct and operation of a hotel which he successfully
managed tor three years. In 1893 he came to Akron. Colorado, and this city remained
his home until his untimely demise in 1914, so that for over twenty-one years he was
a resident of Akron, Washington county. Upon his arrival in this city he bought a
hotel, to the operation of which he devoted his energies throughout the remainder
of his life, although he conducted a plumbing business at the same time. He man-
aged his hotel along modern ideas and put forth every effort to make his guests com-
fortable. His place therefore was well patronized and became favorably known to
the traveling public. In the plumbing business Mr. Erb was also quite successful,
deriving from this line of his activities a gratifying addition to his income. His death
occurred from the effect of burns which he had received while doing plumbing work.
His sudden death was not only a great shock to his immediate family but was deeply
regretted by his many friends and the traveling public, who had come to know him




MR. AND MRS. THEODORE A. ERB



264 HISTORY OF COLORADO

as a reliable, trustworthy, honorable and pleasant man. Moreover, Mr. and Mrs. Erb
operated a railroad eating house for about eight years but after the discontinuance
of the same served meals in the hotel, this proving more satisfactory to the public.
Subsequent to his death Mrs. Erb opened a cafe in connection with the hotel which
she successfully operates, maintaining a rooming house in addition.

On July 21, 1884, occurred the marriage of Theodore A. Erb and Susan S. Payne,
a native of Frederick county, Virginia, where she was born in November, 1866, and a
daughter of Summerfield and Susan (Timberlake) Payne, natives of Virginia, where
the father followed farming all his life. During the war between the states he served
as a lieutenant in the Confederate army, being active throughout the entire period
of the war, and for four months he was held prisoner at Fort McHenry. His death
occurred in August, 1885, while his wife died in 1866. To Mr. and Mrs. Erb were born
two children: Anna M.. who married Worth M. Miller, a newspaper editor of Ogallala,
Nebraska; and Ruth G., who makes her home with her mother. Mr. and Mrs. W. M.
Miller have two children, Suone, who is now eleven, and Marcellus Harwood, who is
seven years of age.

From that time when he took up his residence in Akron, Colorado, until his death
Mr. Erb always cooperated with his fellow citizens in order to promote or support plans
for the growth of his community either in a material or moral and intellectual way.
He was interested in all matters concerning Akron and was ever ready by word, deed
and means to render assistance to worthy causes. Fraternally he was a member of
the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of
United Workmen, while Mrs. Erb belongs to the Eastern Star. The principles of
brotherhood underlying these organizations always guided Mr. Erb in his conduct
toward his fellowmen, to whom he ever was kind and helpful. His religiou.« faith
was that of the Presbyterian church, in the work of which he took active part, and
politically he was a democrat. Although more than four years have passed since death
claimed one of Akron's most useful and most respected citizens, the memory of Theo-
dore Addison Erb lives in the hearts of his fellow citizens, for all recognized in him
a loyal American, a successful business man of honorable principles and a true,
faithful friend who would never fail in an emergency.



HAROLD PAGE MARTIN.



Harold Page Martin, an active practitioner at the bar of Boulder, lo whom
success has come as the result of thorough training and broad experience, was born
upon a farm in Boulder county, Colorado, in 1878. His father, William J. Martin, was
a native of England and came to the United States in his boyhood days with his
father, following the death of his mother. They settled first in the east but after-
ward removed westward to Colorado, where they arrived in the early '60s. William J.
Martin became a gold miner and was part owner of the Caribou mine in Boulder
county, Colorado, which he and his partner discovered. He was married in Central
City, Colorado, to Miss Ida S. Wilson and they are now occupying a farm in Boulder
county.

Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Harold Page Martin became
familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist, for in
his boyhood his time was divided between his studies in the schoolroom, the pleasures
of the playground and the work of the fields. After mastering the elementary branches
of learning in the district schools he became a student in the high school of Boulder,
Colorado, from which in due course of time he was graduated. He later entered the
University of Colorado at Boulder and won the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy upon
graduation with the class of 1901. With broad literary learning to serve as a founda-
tion upon which to rear the superstructure of professional knowledge, he took up the
study of law and in 1904 completed a course in the law department, winning the LL. B.
degree. He practiced for two years in Denver, covering 1905 and 1906, and then
returned to Boulder, where he opened an office. His record stands in contradistinction
to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, for in
the county where practically his entire life has been passed Mr. Martin has been
accorded a liberal and distinctively representative clientage. He is most careful and
painstaking in the preparation of his cases and presents his cause with clearness and
strength, never failing to impress judge and jury with the correctness of his position
and seldom failing to gain the verdict desired.

Mr. Martin is a republican in his political views and takes active part in further-
ing the principles in which he believes. He has served as deputy prosecutor of Boulder



HISTORY OF COLORADO 265



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 33 of 108)