county for several years but has not been a politician in the sense of office seeking. He
belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks aud is also a member of the Boulder
Club. He is appreciative of the social amenities of life and among the members of
these organizations he has many friends.
MELVIN C. GOSS.
Melvin C. Goss, devoting his life to the practice of law in Boulder, where he
opened his office in 1906, has through the intervening years become well established
as a successful lawyer whose ability enables him to solve many intricate and involved
professional problems. Colorado numbers him among her native sons, for his birth
occurred upon a farm in Pueblo county in 1874. He comes of English and Scotch
ancestry. His father, Calvin W. Goss, was born in Tennessee in the year 1828 and
after reaching manhood was married to Miss Sarah Parsons, a native of North
Carolina. The father served as a soldier of the Civil war, joining the Eleventh Kansas
Cavalry, and was largely engaged in fighting Indians upon the Wyoming frontier.
His last days were spent in Pueblo, Colorado, where he departed this life in 1913,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
after having devoted many years to general agricultural pursuits in Pueblo county.
It was there upon the old homestead farm that Melvin C. Goss was reared, his
youthful days being passed in the usual manner of the farmbred boy. He attended
the country schools and after mastering the branches of learning therein taught,
became a student in the high school of Pueblo. Ambitious to enter upon a professional
career, he decided upon the practice of law as a life work and in preparation therefor
entered the University of Colorado, in which he pursued the law course, winning
the LL. B. degree upon graduation with the class of 1906. He then located for practice
in Boulder, where he has since remained, and through the intervening period he has
enjoyed a constantly growing clientage. Advancement at the bar is proverbially slow,
yet no dreary novitiate awaited him. He soon demonstrated his power to handle
legal questions and one of the characteristics of his practice has been the thoroughness
with which he has prepared his cases. He is also identified with business interests
as the assistant secretary of and the attorney for the Western Light & Power Com-
pany of Boulder and is also attorney for the Boulder National Bank and attorney for
and a director in the Mercantile Bank and Trust Company.
On the 10th of June, 1913, in Denver. Mr. Goss was united in marriage to Miss
Eleanor Hoyme, a daughter of the late Captain Hoyme of the United States army.
Mr. Goss belongs to the Boulder Club and is also identified with Phi Alpha Delta, a
college fraternity. Both he and his wife are widely known and highly esteemed in
Boulder, occupying a very enviable position in social circles, their many friends bearing
ready testimony to their genuine worth.
LOUIS W. HENDERSHOTT.
Louis W. Hendershott is living retired in a beautiful home at the corner of
Seventh street and Turner avenue in Berthoud. For a long period he was identified
with ranching interests but ultimately put aside business cares to enjoy in well earned
rest the fruits of his former toil. He was born in Livingston county. New York,
March 24, 1856, a son of John and Sarah (Sterner) Hendershott, who were natives of
Pennsylvania. The father was a farmer and in early life removed to New York, where
he purchased land about 1840. He improved that place and continued its cultivation
throughout the remainder of his days. His father also became a resident of the
Empire state at the same time and purchased land there. He had twelve sons and
they all settled in that vicinity. The death of John Hendershott occurred in New
York in 1860 and his widow, long surviving him, passed away in 1889.
Louis W. Hendershott was reared and educated in the Empire state, remaining
under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, after which he cultivated
the home farm for three years. He had previously had liberal experience in that line
of work, his vacation periods being devoted to the task of developing and cultivating
the fields. In 1881 he left the east for Colorado and took up his abode in Larimer
county, purchasing land a mile south of Berthoud which he improved. In partnership
with H. V. Bennett, he bought the property and together they carried on their ranching
interests for six years, at the end of which time Mr. Hendershott disposed of his in-
LOUIS W. HENDERSHOTT
MRS. LOUIS W. HENDERSHOTT
If iilffliffy^ ^ nfflyriririr ' *'sH
,„^ '' '■ ' t •; ■ ; :,:.;,' ; ; ■'■■:-^^-'^'6^- ;.«.. :1^K^S|^^:;H;;;^;.- -/v .^
LOUIS W. HENDERSHOTTS RANCH, WELD COUNTY, FOUR AND A HALF
MILES NORTHEAST OP BERTHOUD
LOUIS W. HENDERSHOTT'S RESIDENCE, SEVENTH AND TURNER
HISTORY OF COLORADO 269
terest to Mr. Bennett. He afterward rented land for a year and next bought one hundred
and sixty acres in Weld county four and a half miles northeast of Berthoud. This he
at once began to develop and improve and continued its cultivation until 1900 but lived
upon the place until 1914, when he took up his abode in Berthoud, erecting a large
and attractive residence at the corner of Seventh street and Turner avenue, where he
has since remained. While upon his ranch he engaged in the raising of high grade
Percheron horses and shorthorn cattle. He also fed sheep for several years. He is
now a stockholder and one of the directors in the First National Bank of Berthoud,
and is a stockholder in the Fairburn Lumber Company of Berthoud. His investments
have been judiciously made and he derives therefrom a substantial annual income.
In September, 1883, Mr. Hendershott was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Keirnes
and to them were born two sons: Carroll C, who is operating his father's place and one of
his own adjoining; and Orlan N., a farmer of Weld county, living a mile north and a
mile and a half east of the old home place. The wife and mother passed away in
July, 1900, and on the 4th of February, 1902, Mr. Hendershott wedded Jennie Parker.
Politically he is a democrat and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian
church. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Eastern Star and in these
associations are found the rules which govern his conduct and shape his course in all
the relations of lite. He commands the respect, confidence and goodwill of those with
whom he has been brought in contact and his friends in this section of the state are
John Anderson, county judge of Douglas county and one whose record upon the
bench, characterized by strict fairness and impartiality, has won the support of the
general public, was born in Sweden, October 31, 1863, a son of Andrew and Margaret
E. (Astberg) Anderson. He acquired his elementary education in the schools of his
native country and afterward became a student in the Lutheran Academy at Wahoo,
Nebraska, having come to America in June, 1882, when a youth of nearly nineteen
years. He started upon his business career as an employe of the Omaha Grant Smelt-
ing Company, being there employed for two years. In August, 1885, he arrived in
Colorado, making his way first to Denver, and in 1886 removed to Douglas county,
where for ten years he was superintendent of stone quarries for different concerns,
acting in that capacity until called to the office of sheriff of Douglas county by
election in 1908. He made an excellent record and was reelected in 1910, serving in
that position until 1912, when he was elected on the democratic ticket to the office of
county judge. He was always a stanch supporter of democratic principles but when
elected county judge made nonpartisan appointments, which was not according to
party rule, and hence he was not again nominated by the democrats for the office. At
the close of his term in 1916. however, he became a candidate for reelection on an
independent ticket, making the run against botli republican and democratic candidates,
and winning the election by a good majority — a fact which indicates that the public
is satisfied with the equity and impartiality of his rulings. As judge of Douglas county
he represents all of the people and does not show any political preference and in
consequence the old party organization did not support him. but public opinion
endorsed his course. He has also been secretary of the school board for nine years
and the cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. He continues a factor in
business circles as one of the stockholders in the First National Bank of Castle Rock.
In 1886 Judge Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Augusta Oberg, who was
born in Sweden, and they have become parents of five children. Edgar T., who was
born March 16, 1887, was graduated from the high school and spent three years in the
State University at Boulder, after which he devoted one year to the study of law.
He attended the second officers training camp at Fort Sheridan, near Chicago, and
received a commission as second lieutenant. He then went to France, attending tlie
French artillery school at Samour and now holds the rank of first lieutenant in
the field artillery, having been engaged in active duty with the Stars and Stripes on
the battlefields of the western front. Richard E., born October 21, 1888, was graduated
from high school, spent a year in the Colorado College at Colorado Springs and four
years in the West Point Military Academy, from which he was graduated with the
class of 1912. He is now a lieutenant-colonel in the field artillery in France. He
married Anne White Glover, of New York city, and has one child, Cornelia Livingston.
Alice Elizabeth, the next of the family, was born March 21, 1890, attended the high
270 HISTORY OF COLORADO
school for three years and is the wife of Leonard Ellis, a ranchman residing at Edge-
mont, South Dakota, and they have one child, John Leonard. Agnes S., born July
26, 1892, is a graduate of the high school, of the Woman's College at Denver and also
of the Greeley Normal School, and is now successfully teaching in South Dakota.
Robert A., born February 15. 1904, is a high school pupil at Castle Rock.
Judge Anderson and his family have made their home at Castle Rock since 1890,
occupying a substantial residence which he owns. He belongs to the Odd Fellows
Lodge, No. 139, also to the Court of Honor, No. 1109, at Castle Rock and is a highly
esteemed representative of those organizations. A man of genuine personal worth,
of a high sense of honor in office and of marked fidelity in citizenship, he is today
numbered among the most valued and representative residents of his section of the
HON. EBEN E. HUGHES.
Hon. Eben E. Hughes, actively and prominently identified with the agricultural
development of Elbert county, was born at Llanelly, South Wales, on the 18th of June,
1868, a son of Richard and Sarah Hughes. The father was a brilliant minister of the
Presbyterian faith who came to America in 1870, when his son Eben was but two years
of age. The paternal grandfather was connected with the noted church insurrection.
Both father and grandfather were men ever ready to fight for the faith that was so
dear to them and Richard Hughes came to this country like the Pilgrims of old for
the religious liberty which in that period was still but a name in England. The
grandfather of Eben E. Hughes in the maternal line served under the Duke of Wel-
lington at the battle of Waterloo. After crossing the Atlantic in 1870 Mr. and Mrs.
Richard Hughes went first to Mankato, Minnesota, and in 1874 removed to Columbus
Junction, Iowa. There the family prospered and the father became widely noted for
the power of his eloquence. Both he and his wife lived to round out long and beau-
tiful lives in the town of Columbus Junction, honored by all with whom they came "in
In 1890 Eben E. Hughes, then a young man of twenty-two years, removed to
Colorado and on the 4th of June, 1891, was united in marriage to Miss Ellen E.
Jones, of Denver, the wedding being celebrated in the little Welton Street Welsh church.
Mrs. Hughes is one of the leading women of Elbert county and takes a deep interest
in all that stands for the progress and development of her sex. To Mr. and Mrs. Hughes
have been born the following named: Edward, who is now in the service of the gov-
ernment at Colorado College; Walter, who is in France in the service of his country;
Leila and Mary, two talented daughters, who have taken the places of their brothers
on the farm and are thus doing a splendid work in releasing man power in order to
aid in winning the war; and Ralph, who is the youngest of the family, and is also in
Colorado College in the S. A. T. C.
Eben E. Hughes has been active in the development of Elbert county since he
removed to this district with his bride in 1891. Through the intervening years he has
borne a helpful part in all that has pertained to its progress and upbuilding and his
liberal education, his persuasive power and oratorical ability have been potent factors
in educating the public along many lines of progress. In 1918 he was named as the
republican candidate for legislative honors and was elected representative of his dis-
trict comprising Arapahoe and Elbert counties. No one questions his fitness for the
position nor his loyalty to any cause which he may espouse and he is widely recognized
in Elbert county as a splendid type of American manhood and citizenship.
WILLIAM LEWIS ARMSTRONG.
Since 1908 William Lewis Armstrong has been a resident of Boulder, Colorado,
where he is living largely retired, enjoying the fruits of former business activity,
enterprise and judicious investment. He was born upon a farm in Crawford county,
Pennsylvania, in 1844, being a son of William and Lucy Ann (Hickernell) Armstrong,
who were likewise natives of the Keystone state. The former was a son of John
Arinstrong, also born in Pennsylvania. William Armstrong was born in York county
in 1816 and throughout the greater part of his active business career was a contracting
HON. EBEN E. HUGHES
272 HISTORY OF COLORADO
builder of Pennsylvania, where he passed away in the year 1904, having for about
four years survived his wife, who died in 1900.
William Lewis Armstrong, whose name introduces this review, was reared upon
the old homestead farm in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, early becoming familiar
with the work of the fields from the time of the early spring planting until crops
were harvested in the autumn. In the winter months he attended the country schools
and then at the age of eighteen years, or in September, 1862. he enlisted in response
to the call for troops to aid in the preservation of the Union, becoming a private of
Company D, Eighty-third Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was
mustered out in May, 1S65, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, after having participated in
the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville. Gettysburg and many other
hotly contested engagements of the war which led up to the final victory which
crowned the Union arms. At Fredericksburg he was slightly wounded. Following
his military experience, he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he remained
until 1908, winning success through well directed business efforts and Investments.
He has become interested in Oklahoma oil property and. moreover, is the president
of the Mercantile Bank of Boulder, president of the Nederland State Bank, and a director
of the Louisville (Col.) State Bank. He became a resident of Boulder in 1908 and
through the intervening period has made his home in this city.
On the 16th of February, 1870. in Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Armstrong
was married to Miss Mary J. Wasson, a daughter of the late Harrison Wasson, a native
of Pennsylvania, and to them was born a daughter, Hattie Mabel, who became the
wife of Abram McCoy, of West Virginia, who died in 1907, leaving four children,
namely: Lewis J., who is with the One Hundred and Fifteenth Engineers of the
national army; Freda, who married Albert D. McArthur. of Idaho, and they have a
son William Lewis, named in honor of his great-grandfather; Ernest; and Abram
Mr. Armstrong belongs to the Boulder Club and to the Boulder Golf Club, while
fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His
religious faith is indicated in his membership in the First Presbyterian church of
Boulder, of whicli lie is serving as a trustee. In politics lie has always been a stalwart
republican and while in the east served for one term as county commissioner of
Venango county, Pennsylvania, while since taking up his abode in Boulder his fellow
citizens have twice chosen him to fill the office of mayor. He is now taking a very
active part in Red Cross work and is doing everything in his power to sustain his
country in its aim at world democracy. He is one of the most esteemed citizens of
Boulder, interested at all times in the general progress of his city, the commonwealth
and the country.
FREDERICK A. WALD.
Frederick A. Wald, as a member of the firm of Wald & Mosher, is one of the
owners of The Oasis, a valuable ranch property in Elbert county, not far from Kutch,
and is a recognized leader among the agriculturists and stock raisers of the state.
He was born in New York city, October 12, 1862, a son of Fred and Louise Wald. both
of whom were natives of New York. In 1869 they removed with their family to Bay
City, Michigan, where the mother is still occupying the old home.
Frederick A. Wald was a lad of about seven years at the time of the removal
to the middle west, where he was reared and educated. He entered business life as an
apprentice to a plumber and gas fitter and when fifteen years of age ran away from
home in order that he might enlist in the Twenty-third United States Infantry Band,
with which he served for five years. In that period he saw only border service. At
the end of that time he returned home and entered railroading, to which occupation
he devoted twenty-seven years of his life, spending much of that time with the Michi-
gan Central, while later he was yardmaster with the Pere Marquette at Saginaw.
In 1906 Mr. Wald removed to Colorado for the benefit of his health and today he
is as robust as ever. The bronchitis from which he had suffered in the east was
entirely cured in this climate. With his arrival in Colorado Mr. Wald began rail-
roading at La Junta and later he entered into a partnership with J. B. Mosher and
purchased eight hundred acres of land in Elbert county near Kutch. The firm is
engaged in raising registered Hampshires that command notably large prices. They
now have forty-five head of blooded Hampshires upon their place and also fifty head of
HISTORY OF COLORADO 273
pedigreed shorthorns. The Fort Collins Agricultural College has made a special record
of the blue ribbon won by the firm with one of its Hampshires at the county fair
held in Kutch in 1917. The firm owns one hog which cost them at the time of the
purchase a dollar per pound. Their ranch is known as The Oasis and includes four
hundred acres of land under cultivation, with fine fruit trees and shade trees. The
barn is one of the largest and best equipped in the county. Not only have they been
very successful in stock raising, but have made equal progress in crop production.
They have raised eight hundred pounds of beans to the acre, fifty bushels of corn,
twenty-seven and twenty-eight bushels of rye— all this in a dry country. They have
studied the best methods of tilling the soil and developing the crops and thoroughly
understand existing conditions, so that their labors produce the best possible results.
Their activities have constituted a standard which others have followed and the
members of the firm rank with the most prominent and progressive agriculturists and
stock raisers of the state.
Mr. Wald was married in 1887 to Katherine Enright and their children were:
Palmer, who has enlisted for service with the colors in France; and Laverne, who is
private secretary to the secretary of state of Michigan. Mrs. Wald died in 1898 and
on September 16, 1901. Mr. Wald was united In marriage to Margaret Fee French, of
Mr. Wald is very prominent in political circles and is a single-tax man. He is
perhaps the best posted resident of the county on economic topics of the day. He
possesses a fine library and is a student of the best literature, keeping in touch with
the trend of thought in past ages as well as with the questions of interest of the
present. Mrs. Wald is the secretary of School District No. 6, which includes twenty-
one schools, and is a stalwart champion of the cause of public education. In fact she
and her husband stand for progress and improvement along all lines which tend to
promote the material, intellectual, social and moral progress of community and
UPTON T. SMITH.
Upton i". Smith, at one time treasurer of Douglas county and a well known and
honored citizen of Castle Rock, was born in Monroe, Waldo county, Maine, September
22. 1843, a son of Gustavus Watson and Rosilla (Pattee) Smith. The paternal grand-
father. Daniel Smith, who it is thought was born in New Hampshire, settled in Waldo
county, Maine, about 1800 and there Gustavus W. Smith was born and reared. Later
he became a prominent citizen of the town of Monroe, where he served as selectman.
His fellow townsmen would have elected him to the legislature but he refused to accept
the nomination. When his son, Upton T. Smith, was thirteen years of age the father,
having married a second time, removed to another county.
It was then that Upton T. Smith went to make his home with a cousin, with whom
he remained for about four years, during which period he attended the country
schools and also spent one term as a pupil in the academy at Newburgh, Maine. He
afterward occupied the position of messenger for the high sheriff of Penobscot county
for a year. In May. 1861, when a youth of but seventeen years, he responded to the
first call of the country for troops to serve for three months in the Civil war. He
enlisted but the company was not accepted under that call. On the 2Sth of the same
month he enlisted again, becoming a member of Company H, Sixth Maine Infantry,
which was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the engagements
of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Cold Harbor, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Rappahannock
Station, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and various skirmishes. He was always at the
front on active duty but was never wounded or captured. After three years of faith-
ful service he was honorably discharged at Portland, Maine, and returned to Levant,
that state, where his father was living.
The sheriff of Bangor, Maine, appointed Mr. Smith to the office of deputy. After
three months, feeling the need of a better education, he attended the academy at
Searsport and a year later became a student in Eastman's Business College at Pough-
keepsie, New York, from which he was graduated in April, 1867. He then taught
school for one term at Saddle River, Bergen county. New Jersey, and subsequently
went to New York city, where he was employed for a year by the Brooklyn City
Railway Company in the capacity of conductor.
It was while there that Mr. Smith met Parker N. Savage, who was the owner of
mining properties in Colorado, and Mr. Smith accompanied him to the west, arriving
Vol. IV— 18
274 HISTORY OF COLORADO
at Central City on the 1st of March, 1869, having made the journey by stage from
Cheyenne. He then engaged in prospecting but was not successful. In September,
with a brother, who had recently come from Maine, and with Newton S. Grout, Mr.
Smith set out on a surveying expedition. In the tall of 1869 he entered a quarter
section of land on section 26, township 8. range 68 west, and there developed and im-
proved a farm, to which he afterward added, so that his place comprised five hundred
and twenty acres in all.
In 1872 Mr. Smith returned to Maine and in the town of Monroe, on the 8th of
November, was married to Miss Sarah E. Grout, who was born in Jackson township,
Waldo county, Maine, a daughter of Robert C. and Elizabeth (Stowers) Grout. Four
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Hattie Avis, born upon the home farm
November 2. 1873, became the wife of Thomas Hall, who passed away on February 12,
1911. To this union were born seven children as follows: James Ross, Murray Doug-
las, George Edwin, John Pringle, Wallace Treat, Elizabeth Isabelle and Guy Monroe.