Her second union was with George F. Short, of the Cripple Creek district and to
them was born Rose Ella. Edwin W., head of the commercial department of the North
Side high school of Denver, the second of the family, was born February 19. 1878, and
married Zelma Woods, of Fort Collins. Guy W., born October 7, 18S5, was graduated
from the State University of Boulder and pursued a post graduate course in the State
University of Illinois at Champaign, where he won the Ph. D. degree. He is now a
teacher of higher mathematics in the State University of Kentucky at Lexington.
Roger Putnam, born October 3, 1887, and a direct descendant of Israel Putnam of
Revolutionary war fame, was graduated from the high school of Castle Rock and
from the Agricultural College at Fort Collins and is now private clerk and stenographer
to the chief of police of Denver. He married Elizabeth Thompson, of Denver.
Mr. Smith cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864 and has
continued a stanch republican to the present time. He was elected treasurer of
Douglas county and continued to fill that office for seven years. During his term of
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
office he assisted in organizing and became vice president of the First National Bank
of Castle Rock, and soon after retiring as county treasurer helped in founding the
Peoples Bank of Castle Rock of which he was chosen president. Owing to the un-
faithfulness of a cashier the bank proved only a partial success and after about two
■years was absorbed by the First National Bank of Douglas county. Although he now
lives largely retired, he is still doing some business in the field of real estate and also
looking after some property for others. He is a stockholder and one of the directors
of a county newspaper called the Record-Journal. In Grand Army circles he has been a
very prominent figure. He was a member of Blunt Post, No. 65, G. A. R., of which
he was the first commander, occupying that position for two terms. He is now
commander of Post No. 65 and is also a member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Castle
Rock. While he was in the army he sent ten dollars of his pay home each month to
his father and this was returned to him when he resumed his education, being used
to meet the expenses of his college course. The thorough educational training which
he received constituted the basis of his success in life. His has been a most useful,
active and honorable career, winning for him the respect and confidence of all with
whom he has been associated, and in public affairs he has been as true and loyal to
the welfare of his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner on the
battlefields of the south.
FRANK J. SCHMID.
Frank J. Schmid, a farmer of Elbert county, was born in Germany in 1878, a son
of John and Annie (Miller) Schmid. He came to this country with his mother when
six years of age to join the husband and father, who had crossed the Atlantic two
years before. The family home was established in Kansas City and after acquiring
a limited education Frank J. Schmid started out in business life by working on the
railroad, cleaning engines and assisting in other tasks in the roundhouse. He later
became connected with the brick business at several places, working at different times
in Trinidad and Pueblo, Colorado. He continued to work on the brick press for four
years and in Pueblo was employed by the Standard Brick Company for five years.
On the expiration of that period he returned to Trinidad in 1897 and in 1904 came to
his present place which is situated on section 6. township 12, range 59, and he also
owns a quarter of section 60. He lived in a sod house that is still in existence. He
had to encounter many of the hardships which are conditions of pioneer life. When
FRANK J. SCHMID
276 HISTORY OF COLORADO
he arrived in this section the county was yet in an undeveloped state. On the prairies
there were only cattle and sheep; little of the land was cultivated, and many believed
that it was not possible to raise crops in the district. His financial resources were
limited at the time of his arrival, but he had a team and wagon, harness, a cow and
calf and twenty-five dollars in money. During the first year he could only plant a
small tract of about twenty acres, but at the present time he has about one hundred
and sixty acres under cultivation. At different periods he found it necessary to go out
to work in order to earn a little ready money. He has seen the time when he did
not have a pair of shoes to wear and when there was no food in the house. One time
he traveled twenty-eight miles to a store to see if the people would let him have some
provisions for himself and his wife until he was in a position to pay for them. The
storekeeper refused him credit. The next day he went about the same distance and
received the same answer from another merchant. The third day, however, he was
very lucky, for he made a call on two brothers of the name of Keysor, who conducted
a little store a few miles away, and they extended to him the credit which he required.
As time passed he proved up on his property, was able to meet all of his indebtedness
and he increased his original holdings until now four hundred and ten acres are
within the boundaries of his farm. In 1912 he built a nice home and he has all
modern improvements upon his place. A very substantial measure of success has
attended his efforts during the past few years and he is now very profitably carrying
on general farming, although he raises cattle to some extent.
In 1903 Mr. Schmid was married to Miss Mary E. Miller, a daughter of Phillip
and Annie (Mills) Miller and a native of Kentucky. They are members of the Metho-
dist church and Mr. Schmid gives his political allegiance to the democratic party.
He is very much interested in astronomy and is ambitious to be able to give more
of his time to the study of that science. While born in Germany, he is thoroughly
American in spirit, interest and loyalty and he and his wife have been active sup-
porters of the Liberty Loan and all movements that will promote the safety and wel-
fare of the American boys at the front. He is a genial gentleman, kindly and courteous
in manner, and his sterling worth and ability are recognized by all.
A. J. FYNN, Ph. D.
Dr. A. J. Fynn. of Denver, educator, author, lecturer and musical composer, is
well known throughout the entire country, particularly by reason of his contribution
to the literature concerning the American Indian. Dr. Fynn was born on a farm in
Herkimer county. New York, a son of Michael and Mary (Barnes) Fynn. The father
was a native of Ireland and came to America in early life, settling in the state of
New York, where he was engaged in various lines of business until the Civil war, when
he volunteered for service, enlisting in the One Hundred and Twenty-first New Y'ork
Regiment of Infantry, in July, 1863, and losing his life during the engagement at
Y'orktown in the following November. His wife was born in Connecticut, and died in
Salisbury, New Y'ork, in 1908. They had a family of four children, those still living
being A. J.. Hiram A. and Phebe H., the two brothers being residents of Denver.
Dr. A. J. Fynn began his education in the rural schools of his native county and
afterwards attended Fairfield Seminary. He was graduated on the completion of a
preparatory course in 187S and later entered Tufts College of Massachusetts, from
which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1884. In 1S87 he won
the Master of Arts degree from the same institution, and received his Doctor of
Philosophy degree from the University of Colorado in 1899. In 1914 Denver Univer-
sity conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Literature.
After winning his Bachelor of Arts degree he resumed his educational work, having
formerly taught in the rural schools and the union districts of his native state. Tie
also spent one year as instructor in Fairfield Seminary. In 1S89 he came to Colorado,
and was elected principal of the Central City high school. He was afterward superin-
tendent of schools in Alamosa, and later became a member of the faculty of the Uni-
versity of Colorado at Boulder, teaching and attending lectures at the same time.
On leaving that institution he removed to Denver in 1S99 and has since had the super-
vision of three different schools of the city. In 1915 he became principal of the Gilpin
school, which is regarded as one of the most excellent and thorough of the public
educational institutions of the state. In addition to this, for several years he has been
connected with the extension work of Denver University as professor of anthropology
and literature, and is constantly in demand as a lecturer on these subjects. Another
DR. A. J. FYNN
278 HISTORY OF COLORADO
branch of his educational work is that of Normal Institute conductor. Dr. Fynn thinks
that the aim of modern American education should be, first, to make the child appre-
ciate his own country through careful study of its language, literature, history, gov-
ernment and social institutions, and, second, lo develop the child in the direction of
his natural aptitudes so that he may become an efficient citizen.
A lifelong student, Dr. Fynn has constantly extended his researches and investi-
gations into various fields, and he is the author and publisher of several works not only
of high literary but also of scientific merit. Of his volume entitled "The American
Indian as a Product of Environment" the Boston Transcript said: "Perhaps no other
book gives in small compass a truer idea of the Indian and his life." The Washington
Star stated that "The final chapter, in which is found Dr. Fynn's conclusions as to the
facts he has observed and assimilated, is convincing in its breadth of view and calm-
ness of judgment." The Review of Reviews said: "While Dr. Fynn's work has especial
reference to the Pueblo Indians of the Southwest, his chapters contain many sugges-
tions which have force as related to the study of other Indian tribes. There is no
attempt at technical discussion, but all of Dr. Fynn's comments are of interest to the
general reader as well as to the student of anthropology." Equally favorable com-
ments were made by the press in all sections of the country.
Dr. Fynn has also written the words and composed the music for a number of
popular songs, including "The Mohawk," which is said to reproduce in music the emo-
tions produced by the fascinating landscape of the Mohawk valley. He is also the
writer of the song, "Where the Columbines Grow," which has been adopted by the
Colorado Legislature as the official state song, the spirit of the great romantic West
being suggested in its every line of verse and every strain of music. His latest
production is entitled, "Brother Jonathan Leaves Home," a patriotic song, voicing
the spirit of the recent war.
Dr. Fynn was married in August, 1902, to Miss Mary McDonald, of Woodville.
New York, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McDonald.
Fraternally, he is a prominent Knight Templar Mason; in politics is a republi-
can; and in religious faith a Universalist. He has held the presidency of the Denver
Teachers' Club and of the Philosophical Society, and has been for years chairman of
the educational committee of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association. He
is a member of the Colorado Schoolmasters' Club, a director and the treasurer of the
State Historical and Natural History Society, and a life member of the Archeological
Institute of America. He has made valuable contributions to the sum total of human
knowledge and with definite purpose his labors and investigations are carried forward
to the accomplishment of a given end.
MRS. MYRTLE CRAWFORD.
Mrs. Myrtle Crawford is the superintendent of the schools of Washington county
and makes her home in Otis, where her husband John H. Crawford, is engaged in
business as a druggist. They are well known and highly esteemed people of the
town. Mrs. Crawford was born in Maryville, Missouri, a daughter of Alvin S. Charles,
a native of Illinois, who removed to Missouri and was for many years engaged in
merchandising at Maryville. His last days were spent in St. Joseph, that state, where
he passed away in 1911. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served throughout
the entire period of hostilities between the north and the south as a defender of the
Union cause. His religious faith was that of the Methodist Episcopal church, to
which he always loyally adhered. In early manhood he wedded Fannie E. Davis, a
native of Kentucky, who survives and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. Crawford.
In the family were three sons and four daughters, but two of the sons have now
passed away. The surviving son, Virgil N. Charles, is a first lieutenant at Camp Bowie,
Fort Worth, Texas.
Mrs. Crawford was educated in the public schools of Maryville, passing through
consecutive grades to her graduation from the high school; and in the Maryville
Seminary, in which she pursued a classical course. She afterward entered the Colorado
State Teachers College at Greeley, where she won the degree of Bachelor of Pedagogy.
Taking up the profession of teaching, she soon proved her ability to impart clearly
and readily to others the knowledge which she had acquired and for five years she
successfully engaged in teaching school in Otis, becoming principal of the school.
In November. 1918, she was elected superintendent of the public schools of Washing-
ton county and is now occupying that position. She is carefully studying the con-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 279
ditions of the school system of the county and is doing everything in her power to
inaugurate new and improved methods which shall be for the benefit of the school
In 1903 Myrtle Charles became the wife of John H. Crawford, of Graham, Missouri,
who is now engaged in the drug business in Otis, having a well appointed stcre.
Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and the Odd Fellows and is a faithful
follower of the teachings of these organizations. To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford have been
born two children: Marceline, fourteen years of age; and William Edward, a youth
of eleven years. The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church
and in its work they take an active and helpful interest, Mrs. Crawford now serving
as superintendent of the Sunday school. They have a nice home in Otis which is
the abode of warm-hearted hospitality and is the center of a cultured society circle.
GEORGE W. FOOTE.
George W. Foote, who is now living largely retired in Loveland, Larimer county,
Colorado, although he yet serves as president of the Larimer County Bank & Trust
Company, has in many ways made valuable contributions toward development and up-
building in his part of the state. Foremost among the lines of activity with which he
was connected were cattle interests, in which business he was a leader, and later he
also was for a number of years very successful in the livery business, maintaining
stage lines while so engaged. Through his efforts high standards of cattle breeding
were introduced into his county and he thereby built up not only a most prosperous
individual business but set a valuable example for others to follow. For over forty
years he has now been a resident of Larimer county, having come here in 1874, so that
he is numbered among the honored pioneers of his section.
Born in Mill Creek Hundred (New Castle county), Delaware. November 23, 1842,
Mr. Foote is a son of William and Susan (Faulk) Foote, natives of New Castle county,
that state. The father was an agriculturist by occupation and passed his entire life
upon the farm on whicli he was born but he died at liis summer home at New Garden,
Pennsylvania, at the venerable age of eighty-five years. Tlie paternal grandfather of
our subject was William Foote. Sr., who was a prosperous cooper and also gave some
attention to agriculture in Delaware, while the maternal grandfather, John Faulk, a
lifelong resident of that state, was a miller. William Foote was recognized as one of
the most enterprising agriculturists of his county, introducing many efficient methods
and new ideas along that line, and was also highly regarded as a citizen, for he was
always progressive and public-spirited, readily giving his aid and support to measures
which he recognized as of value to his community. Politically he was an adherent of
the whig party. His wife also attained a ripe old age, passing away after having com-
pleted her eighty-seventh year.
George W. Foote was reared upon his father's farm, acquiring such education as
the earlier schools of Newcastle county. Delaware, alTorded. and after laying aside his
textbooks he remained with his parents until he reached the age of twenty years. In
the meantime having heard favorable reports in regard to the excellent opportunities
presented in the then far west, he decided to follow Horace Greeley's advice and in
1874 came to Colorado, locating at that time in Greeley, where he remained for about
six years. During this period he bought and successfully operated a stage line be-
tween Greeley and Namaqua continuing thus for five years. He then sold out and in
1881 came to Loveland, Colorado, where he became associated with a Mr. Stoddard in
the livery and sales stable business. This partnership was maintained for twenty-two
years to the mutual benefit of both of the parties concerned and at the end of that
period Mr. Foote disposed of his interests. In 1S78, or forty years ago, Mr. Foote ac-
quired title to land near Loveland and in 1887 he thereon erected a handsome residence.
Following in the footsteps of his progressive father, he soon derived a gratifying
income from his original tract, which enabled him to acquire more land as the years
passed until he now owns twenty-seven hundred and twenty acres, three hundred and
twenty of which are located in Weld county, while the remainder is in Larimer county.
Mr. Foote engaged in the raising of pure bred cattle, acquiring a fine herd of Galloways.
He built up an excellent and profitable business along this line, being recognized as
one of the foremost cattle breeders within the state. Moreover, he also turned to
feeding cattle and derived a gratifying addition to his income from this source. Among
his holdings were one hundred and sixty acres, located where the sugar factory now
stands and which he sold to that concern at a considerable advance. A great deal of
GEORGE W. FOOTE
282 HISTORY OF COLORADO
his land he rents but he is still engaged in the cattle business although he has largely
retired from the active work, now giving his attention chiefly to the managing and
financial end of his affairs. In 1894 Mr. Foote became interested in banking, being
elected vice president of the Larimer County Bank & Trust Company, while seven years
later, or in 1901, he was elected to the chief executive position, that of president. As
such he has since served to the great advantage of the institution over which he pre-
sides, which is conducted along proven and conservative methods, having attained a
reputation as one of the best banks of this part of the state. At the same time pro-
gressive ideas are followed in its management, for the officers of the bank are ever
ready to extend credit where financial aid is needed in order to promote new enter-
prises or make possible important business deals which result in the upbuilding and
development of the region. The policy of the bank is largely laid down by Mr. Foote,
who has not only an intimate knowledge of local conditions but has also acquired a
business insight which has made him a most trustworthy as well as experienced banker.
While engaged in the livery business Mr. Foote operated a stage line from Loveland to
Estes Park, continuing in that business for seven years, and being very successful in
Before his migration to the west George W. Foote was united in marriage to Sarah
A. Woodward, the ceremony being performed in the east in 1869. To this union were
born two children: James Lindsey. a resident of Los Angeles, California; and Anna
J., deceased. Mrs. Foote passed away in 1893 and in 1894 Mr. Foote wedded Delia E.
Weaver, of Muscotah, Atchison county, Kansas, a daughter of Conrad and Sarah
(Hershman) Weaver, the former a native of Germany and tlie latter of Ohio. The
father was a successful farmer and in the early days of the history of the state w-ent
to Kansas, locating near Muscotah. where he purchased land. This tract he improved,
making it a valuable property, and has operated the same to the present time, his wife
also surviving. The father was but seven years of age when he was brought to
America and during the confiict between the north and south took up the banner of
the Union, fighting during the last year of that struggle in order to preserve the Union
under one flag. To the second marriage of Mr. Foote were born three children: Lester
G., a successful agriculturist, who resides north of Loveland; Edna D.. who is attend-
ing school; and Albert W., who passed away in May, 1908, at the age of six years.
The family stand high in their community, being numbered among the most
prominent people of the neighborhood, both Mr. and Mrs. Foote often entertaining their
many friends in their beautiful and hospitable home. They have ever been deeply in-
terested in uplift and progress along intellectual as well as moral lines and have ever
given their help to worthy public enterprises. Their beautiful and modern home is
located at No. 343 East Fifth Street, in Loveland. The Foote family is distinctively
American and is very prominently connected in the east and middle west, being blood
kin to some of the famous men and women of the past century, among them Harriet
Beecher Stowe. of Uncle Tom's Cabin fame, and the famous Brooklyn preacher, Henry
Ward Beecher. Mr. Foote of this review is fully upholding the traditions connected
with the family name, being now numbered among the most successful as well as pros-
perous men of his district and also being a representative of the highest type of
American citizenship. His political affiliation is with the republican party but he has
never desired office. Fraternally he belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks. Mrs. Foote is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work
of which she is helpfully interested. Both enjoy the highest regard and respect of all
who know them, having throughout their lives contributed toward the elevation of
standards that affect living conditions here, by furthering those ideals which perfect
human conduct and action.
LEONARD A. SWEET.
With the ever increasing demand for automobile housing in the city of Denver new-
garages for this purpose have been established from time to time and many of these
in recent years have built up a business of extensive proportions not only in housing
cars but in making repairs and furnishing supplies. The Denver Garage, owned by
Leonard A. Sweet, is perhaps one of the best managed and most conveniently located in
the city and is patronized by many of the downtown business men and bankers of
Denver. It has grown in popularity ever since the day that it was opened and its patron-
age is now extensive.
Mr. Sweet, the proprietor, was born in Independence. Iowa, May 1, 1876, a son of
HISTORY OF COLORADO 283
Anson C. and Ida (Blood) Sweet, the former born in the state of New York and the
latter in the state of Wisconsin. The father removed to Iowa in early life and on leav-
ing that state established his home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he engaged
in the dry goods business for a considerable period. In later years, however, he has
lived a retired life and is now making his home in Independence, Iowa, at the age of
seventy-nine years. He has, however, retained all of his interest in Colorado, where
the mother of Leonard A. Sweet, still makes her home. They had a family of three
children, of whom one died in infancy. A brother, H. B. Sweet, is a resident of Sidney,
Nebraska, and is proprietor of the Sidney Motor Company.
The eldest of the family is Leonard A. Sweet of this review, who after completing
a high school education at Independence, Iowa, came to Denver in the latter part of
the 1,1st decade of the nineteenth century. Here he entered the internal revenue depart-
ment as cashier and remained a trusted government employe for twenty years. At
the end of that period he started to engage in business on his own account and in 1917
established the Denver Garage at Nos. 1437-39 California street. This is in the very