heart of the downtown shopping district of Denver and since the day the garage was
opened it has proven a profitable business venture and is today one of the most popular
establishments of the kind in the city. Mr. Sweet also maintains a repair department
and carries a full line of accessories. He is now negotiating to handle a new car that
will be on the market in a short time.
For a few months while holding his government position in connection with the
interna) revenue department Mr. Sweet acted as assessor, by appointment, of Arapahoe
county, but aside from this has never held public office and has always voted independ-
On the 6th of June, 1916, Mr. Sweet was married to Mrs. Helen Thomas, the widow
of Harry Thomas, of Denver, who by her former marriage had a daughter, Charlotte
Thomas, born in Denver. While a native of Iowa, Mr. Sweet has spent almost his entire
life in Denver and while he has never sought to figure prominently in public connections
he has become well known in the city and his fidelity to duty while in the government
service as well as his enterprise in business circles have gained for him a creditable
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
position in the regard of his fellow townsmen.
Lafayette Miller, who departed this life in 1888, was one of the pioneer settlers
of Colorado who contributed in substantial measure to the early development of the
state and aided in laying broad and deep the foundation upon which has been built
the present progress and prosperity of the commonwealth. The town of Lafayette
was named in his honor, as he was once the owner of the land upon which it stands,
having secured the tract as a homestead from the government.
Mr. Miller was born in Toulon. Illinois, March 18, 1840, a son of John and Mary
Ann (Able) Miller, whQ were natives of New Jersey and after living for some time in
Illinois removed to Linn county, Iowa, where they settled upon a farm, which they
made their abiding place throughout their remaining days.
Lafayette Miller was reared and educated in Iowa, and having arrived at years
of maturity, was married there in 1S62 to Miss Mary E* Foot, a native of the state
of New York and a daughter of John B. and Sallie (Cole) Foot, the former a native
of Massachusetts, while the latter was born in the Empire state. They removed to
Michigan in 1852 and in 1858 became residents of Iowa, settling upon a farm, where
they made their home until 1868, when they came to Colorado and established their
residence in Boulder county. Again the father secured a tract of land, which he con-
verted into a productive farm, he and his wife living upon that place until they were
called to the home beyond. They had a family of ten children, but only two of the
number now survive.
Following his marriage in 1862, Lafayette Miller, accompanied by his bride, started
across the plains with ox team and wagon and after traveling for about three months
they reached their destination. They located on a farm in Boulder county, where he
built a log cabin, the roof covering being hay and dirt. He secured a homestead of
eighty acres and later he purchased an improved farm, while subsequently he took up
his abode on Rock creek. There he conducted a stage tavern and resided at that place
until 1870, when he purchased the land on which the village of Lafayette now stands.
The town was founded by his widow, who named it in honor of her husband. Mr. Miller
led an active, busy and useful life and his labors contributed in marked measure to
284 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the substantial development and upbuilding of the district in which he made hia
To Mr. and Mrs. Miller were born six children: Thomas J. and Charles L., both
deceased: George I., who resides upon the home farm; Frank S., also deceased; James
P., who is now an attorney, successfully engaged in the practice of law at Houston,
Texas; and Amelia A., who has departed this life. There are six grandchildren.
The family circle was again broken by the hand of death when in 1888 Mr. Miller
was called to his final rest. He left behind him many friends, as well as his imme-
diate family, who mourned the loss of a devoted huband and father, one who was
always anxious to put forth every possible effort if it would advance the welfare and
happiness of the members of his household. Mr. Miller always took an active part in
politics and was a stanch supporter of democracy. Fraternally he was connected with
the Masons and the Odd Fellows and was a loyal adherent of the teachings of those
Mrs. Miller has been very active in temperance work and has been an equally
effective worker in behalf of the schools, serving for eight years on the school board.
She is a member of the Episcopal church and is most earnest in the work thereof. In
fact her aid and influence are always given on the side of right, progress, truth, reform
and improvement and her efforts have been productive of splendid results along those
lines. She now owns and occupies a fine residence in the village of La-fayette and
she is one of Colorado's honored pioneer women, having for fifty-six years
within the borders of the state.
EDWARD W. ROBINSON.
Edward W. Robinson, lumber and coal merchant of Denver and one of the repre-
sentative business men and manufacturers of the city, was born in Waterloo, Lower
Canada, now the province of Quebec, August 4, 1858, a son of Rev. George C. and
Harriet J. (Whitten) Robinson. The mother was a native of Ireland, whence she
made her way to Canada in early life. The father was born in Waterloo, Lower
Canada, his parents having removed there from Vermont. He was a very faithful and
highly esteemed clergyman of the Church of England in Canada. He died in Aylmer,
Quebec, Canada in 1882, since which time Mrs. Robinson has come to Denver, where
she makes her home. They were the parents of nine children, of whom three are still
living: Harriet S., Harold F. and Edward W., all residents of Denver.
Edward W. Robinson attended public school in different places in Canada and high
school at Montreal. He was then employed in various ways, working some time in a
general store. In 18S4 he went to Florida, settling at Orlando, where he was em-
ployed in a hardware store for a short time. He then went to Davenport, Thayer*
county, Nebraska, where he started in the lumber and coal business on his own ac-
count, which business he successfully conducted for eight years, also having branch
yards at Shickley and Oak, Nebraska, a part of this time.
Mr. Robinson settled in Denver in 1892 buying out the Cone Lumber and Coal
Company. He has since established a large woodworking mill which is thoroughly
equipped with the latest improved machinery for doing all kinds of wood work. His
motto is "Good Service."
On the 1st of March, 1892, Mr. Robinson was married to Miss Emma J. Bishop,
of Ottawa, Canada, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Bishop, of that city. They
have become the parents of three children. The eldest. Norah L., now Mrs. A. E.
Moody, born in Denver in 1893, graduated from Miss Wolcott's School of Denver and
Wellesley College of Massachusetts and is the wife of Lieutenant A. E. Moody, of
Golden, Colorado, who is a graduate of the Massachusetts School of Technology and is
now in France, a first lieutenant in the Coast Artillery and an aerial observer. Se-
leucia, born in Denver in 1895, is also a graduate of Miss Wolcott's School and of Dana
Hall, Wellesley. George Sidney, born in Denver in 1897, is a graduate of Colorado
College. He enlisted as a flyer in aviation and has completed the ground school work
at Berkeley, California, and the flying at Southern Field, Americus, Georgia.
In politics Mr. Robinson is an independent democrat. He served on the park board
of Denver, from 1912 until 1914, and assisted in starting Denver's beautiful system of
mountain parks. Fraternally he is a member of the Masons, the Royal Arcanum and the
Woodmen of the World. He also belongs to the Civic and Commercial Association of Den-
ver, with which he has been identified for many years. He is likewise treasurer of the
South Denver Community Young Men's Christian Association and is a director of the
^^^^^ ■ ^^^
EDWARD W. ROBINSON
286 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Mountain Club and a member of the State Historical and Natural History Society.
His interests and activities, as thus indicated, are broad and varied, touching the
general interests and welfare of society, while as a business man he has contributed
to the commercial development of the city as well as he has promoted his individual
WALTER EUDEAN HOLT.
Walter Eudean Holt is one of the extensive landowners of Elbert county, where
he has made his home since 18S6, or for a period of almost a third of a century. He
was born in Hardin county, Iowa. July 14, 1868, a son of John H. and Mary Jane Holt,
both of whom were natives of Ohio and of English descent, while in the maternal line
the ancestry in America is traced back to one of the early colonial families of Virginia.
Walter E. Holt pursued his education in the schools of his native state and was
a young man of eighteen years when he left the Mississippi valley and came to Colo-
rado, where he has since resided. He located in Elbert county and as the years have
passed has made for himself a most creditable position in its agricultural circles. He
is now the owner of nine hundred and sixty acres of rich and valuable land, which
he has brought to a high state of productivity. The methods which he employs in the
cultivation of his farm are most progressive and resultant and his labors have been
attended with excellent success.
In 1895 Mr. Holt was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Housh, a daughter of
Mrs. Mary Jane Housh Danneman and her first husband, Sydney Housh. The death
of Mrs. Holt on October 7, 1917, was greatly mourned by a host of friends who had
been cheered and assisted by her attentions in illness and who always looked to her
as the leader in all of the women's farm movements of this section. She had exerted
marked influence for progress in the community and her genuine worth was acknowl-
edged by all.
To Mr. and Mrs. Holt were born a daughter, Bertha, who is the wife of Norman
H. Mcllhenney. a son of one of Elbert county's most noted public men and who is
in the service of his country abroad; and a son. Jack, on July 20, 1899, who is there-
fore nineteen years of age. He remains upon the farm with his father, whom he
greatly assists by relieving him of much of the active work. Jack Holt is a likeable,
pleasant mannered young chap, who takes up life's duties with a serious mind and stead-
fast purpose and is full of youthful energy.
Mr. Holt gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and in 1916 was
elected to the oflice of county commissioner, in which capacity he is now serving.
He has always been loyal to the best interests of the community and active in sup-
port of valuable public measures but has never been a politician in the sense of
office seeking. His farming interests have largely claimed his time and energy, and
the results of his close application and intelligently directed efforts have been most
MICHAEL M. RINN.
Prominent among the able members practicing at the Boulder bar is Michael M.
Rinn, whose thoroughness combined with a natural gift of oratory has made him a
strong advocate before the court, while his sound judgment is manifest in the wisdom
of his counsel. He was born in Covington. Indiana, in 18S3, and is therefore yet a
comparatively young man but already has made for himself a place in professional
circles that many a one of twice his years might well envy. His father, Thomas M.
Rinn, was born in County Kerry, Ireland, but in infancy was brought to the new
world, the family home being established in Indiana, where he spent his remaining
days, his death occurring in Covington, that state, in 1913.
Michael M. Rinn passed his boyhood and youth in Covington and pursued his
early education in the schools there. He afterward entered the University of Michigan,
from which he was graduated with the class of 1905 on the completion of a law course
that brought to him the LL. B. degree. For a year thereafter he engaged in the prac-
tice of law in Denver but in 1906 removed to Boulder, where he opened an office and
has since followed his profession. He has made for himself a creditable position at
the bar. He throws himself easily and naturally into the argument with a self-
WALTER E. HOLT RANCH
288 HISTORY OF COLORADO
possession and a deliberation that indicate no straining after effect. The precision
and clearness of his statement, the acuteness and strength of his argument indicate
a mind trained in the severest school of investigation and to which the closest reason-
ing has become habitual and easy.
In Covington, Indiana, in 1914, Mr. Rinn was united in marriage to Miss Fauneil
Hall and they are now the parents of a daughter, Alice Marie. Mr. Rinn is a director
of the Citizens National Bank. His political allegiance is given to the democratic
party and for five years he has filled the office of county attorney of Boulder county
but has sought no political preferment outside the strict path of his profession. He
belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, to the Phi Delta Phi fraternity
and to the Sons of the American Revolution, being entitled to membership in that
organization through his maternal ancestry. He stands for progress and improvement
In all community affairs and has taken active part in advancing many interests which
have been of great worth to the city in which he lives.
Coloman Jonas, prominent in the art of taxidermy and animal group mounting,
having won international fame in this connection, and also a most successful furrier
of Denver, has proof of his fine workmanship and ability in many large natural history
museums in the country. He was born in Budapest, Hungary, February 18, 1879,
a son of John and Julia (Szilady) Jonas, who were also natives of that country. The
father was identified with the government postal service throughout the greater part
of his active lite and is still living in Budapest, but the mother has passed away. In
the family were twelve children, eight of whom survive. One of these was Louis Jonas,
a brother of Coloman Jonas and until the declaration of war a partner in business
with him. He enlisted in the national army as a member of the Engineering Corps
and is now serving with the rank of sergeant in France. This young man is one of
America's leading sculptors. He has made a speciaS study of animal life and has
done some wonderful work in his art, making his studies from life. He was a student
under Professor Proctor, the distinguished New York sculptor, and was for four years
connected with the American Museum of Natural History in New York city. John
Jonas, the second brother, has charge of a branch house in Livingston, Montana, and
he, too, is well known as a taxidermist. A sister. Miss Zella Jonas, is also in business
with her brother and has charge of the Denver fur department. Four of the family,
Stephen, Laslo, Geza and Ethel Jonas, are still living in Budapest. Hungary.
Mr. Jonas of this review was the third in order of birth in the family. He attended
the public and high schools of his native country and afterward pursued special courses.
Later he took up the study of animal life and of taxidermy under the direction of a
firm in Budapest that had an international reputation. He continued to devote his
time and thought to that work and remained with the firm for ten years, gaining
broad and valuable experience. As he became more proficient in his art his fame in
that connection spread and he believed that his experience justified his removal to
America with the purpose of engaging in business on this side of the Atlantic. Ac-
cordingly in February, 1905, he arrived in the United States and settled first at Col-
orado Springs, where he remained in business for three years. He then removed to
Denver in 1908 and has since won a reputation and built up a business that is one
of the largest of the kind in the west. In 1917 he received orders for furs and for
animal mounting from thirty-eight different states. He carries a very extensive line
of fine furs of all kinds and at the same time the taxidermy department of his business
is a most extensive and important one. Specimens of his splendid work in this con-
nection are seen in some of the natural history museums of the country and there is
no one who gets more lifelike results in the mounting of animals and birds than Mr.
On the 17th of June, 1912, Mr. Jonas was married to Esther (Balogh) Bordas,
of Denver, the widow of Paul Bordas. She had two children by her first marriage
who have since taken the name of Jonas. These are: Helen, born in Budapest in
1902 and now attending the high school at Denver; and Joseph, born in Chicago, Illi-
nois, in 1905, and also in school. There is one child of the second marriage, Esther,
born in Denver in 1913.
In politics Mr. Jonas maintains an independent course. Fraternally he Is con-
nected with the Denver Lodge of Elks, No. 17. He belongs to the Civic and Commer-
cial Association, also to the Manufacturers Association, the Kiwanis Club and to the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 289
Ad Club and he is an officer of the First Reformed church of Denver. He has never
had occasion to regret his determination to try his fortune in the new world. He has
here found excellent opportunities and a quick recognition of his superior skill and
ability and as the years have passed he has built up a business of most extensive and
gratifying porportions. Since he and his brother established their branch store in
Montana E. A. Lockwood, of Idaho Falls, Idaho, made the statement that others would
either have to improve their methods or go out of business, which indicates the care
and painstaking methods of the firm, their enterprise and artistic work. They have
ever held to the highest standards and ready recognition has come to them in their
steadily increasing patronage.
Among the venerable citizens of Jefferson county is Harvey Stewart, who from
pioneer times has been familiar with the history of Colorado. He was in this state
when there were only a few isolated mining camps, the work of progress and improve-
ment having scarcely begun. In 1863 he became identified with farming interests
independently and in 1880 acquired the property upon which he still resides. He has
passed the eighty-third milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred in
Macoupin county, Illinois, December 31, 1835, his parents being Charles and Mary
Stewart, natives of Virginia and North Carolina respectively. The paternal grand-
father was of Scotch birth. The maternal grandfather was one of the heroes of the
During his infancy Harvey Stewart was taken by his parents from Illinois to
Missouri, the family home being established near Independence, in Jackson county,
where he lived for twenty-three years. He came to Colorado in 1859 and made his way
into the mining camps above Denver, arriving in that locality on the 28th of April. He
purchased the second copy of the Rocky Mountain News, obtaining the paper while it
was still wet from the press, but found nothing in it to interest him, e.xcept a hint of
the discovery of the Blackhawk mine at Central City. Mr. Stewart then went to Cen-
tral City and over to Spanish Bar, now Idaho Springs, where he worked through the
summer, continuing there until November, when he returned to Denver and for two
weeks sought in vain to obtain work. As he could find no employment he went back
to Independence, Missouri, where for one year he engaged in teaching school. He then
entered the Confederate army in the Raines Division and served until taken ill, when
he was honorably discharged and sent home. He was detained by the authorities for
a few days for being a Confederate, but after taking the oath of allegiance to the
Federal government was released and in 1862 returned to Colorado, where he entered
the employ of a Mr. Fisher at Fort Halleck, cutting hay for the government. He was
thus employed during the first fall, after which he took up a homestead on Clear creek
in 1863. There he engaged in farming for eighteen years. In 1880 he purchased one
hundred and sixty acres of land from George Yule and took up his abode upon that
tract, which has since been his home, his time and attention through the intervening
years being given to general agricultural pursuits. In fact he has engaged in farming
in Colorado for a half century and more, and has contributed in no small measure to
the agricultural development of the eastern section of the state.
On the 1st of December. 1867, Mr. Stewart was united in marriage with Miss Mary
Patrick, who was born in Andrew county. Missouri, March 23, 1846. She was educated
in the public and high schools of Fillmore, Missouri, and when a young lady of sixteen
years, came with her parents to Denver. She is a daughter of John and Sarah (Cloyd)
Patrick, who were both natives of Missouri. In 1863, they came to Colorado, taking
up their abode on a farm six miles below Denver. In 1865, they removed to a farm
on Clear creek, in Arapahoe county, where they were numbered among the early set-
tlers, and where they continued to reside until their demise, the father dying January
11, 1874. He was born February 15, 1818. The mother died February 19, 186C. Her
birth occurred August 29, 1823. To Mr. and Mrs. Stewart were born two daughters.
Minnie Agnes, born January 28, 1869, is the wife of Alexander Ritchie, and they have
a daughter, Lois Minnie. The second daughter, Sarah Gertrude Stewart, was born
February 6, 1S71, and died July 6, 1909. She was educated in East Denver high school,
later becoming a student at Denver University, from which she graduated, with honors,
as a member of the class of 1904. In the fall, immediately following her graduation!
she accepted the position of teacher of English in North Denver high school, continuing
there for five years, and winning for herself high esteem in her chosen profession.
MRS. MARY STEWART
292 HISTORY OF COLORADO
While connected with this school she liad taken post-graduate courses at the University
of Chicago, and also at the University of California. Her untimely death cut short a
brilliant career as an educator, and brought deep sorrow to a wide circle of friends.
In his political views Mr. Stewart has always been a democrat, giving stalwart
support to the party, and be served for one term, about 1S96, as a member of the
state legislature, but the honors and emoluments of office have had little attraction
for him. However, he has always kept well informed on the questions and issues of
the day and has ever been able to support his position by intelligent argument. He
belongs to Highlands Lodge, No. 86, A. F. & A. M.. and is also identified with High-
lands Commandery, No. 30, K. T. His religious faith is indicated by his membership
in the Christian church. It will be observed that Mr. Stewart is one of the few remain-
ing pioneers whose advent into the state dates back to 1859, and he is a living witness
of the wonderful transformation which has taken place since that time, a transforma-
tion in which he had an active part. His first journey to Colorado was made by wagon,
over the old trail, and consumed many weeks in the making. Danger constantly lurked
along the way, and many interesting incidents of the trip are recalled by him. Possessed
of sterling traits of character and guiding his life by high and honorable principles,
Mr. Stewart has ever commanded the respect and confidence of all with whom he has
come in contact and his friends are many.
John Pollock, president of the Littleton Feed & Fuel Company and formerly closely
identified with ranching interests in Colorado, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
May 11, 1848. His father, Richard Pollock, was a native of Belfast, Ireland, and when
a little lad came with relatives to the United States. They landed at Philadelphia and
some years later he established a grocery business in that city and as the years passed
became one of the prosperous merchants in his line but later lost much of his well
acquired fortune in speculation in the oil fields, fn 1834 he married Sarah Morrison,
who came to this country with her parents from Glasgow, Scotland, her native city. Her