Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 37 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

death occurred in the year 1858. while Mr. Pollock survived until 1S6S.

Their son, John Pollock, after mastering the branches of learning taught in the
graded schools of Philadelphia, continued his studies in the high school but did not get
to complete his course there owing to the death of his father, which necessitated his
providing for his own support. He then took up the painting trade in Philadelphia, at
which he worked for a short time, and in 1868 he removed to Omaha, Nebraska, while
later he went to North Platte and then to Denver. He spent only two weeks in the
Colorado metropolis, however, and returned to Omaha on horseback, continuing his
residence in that city until 1871. He was employed there in the painting shop of the
Union Pacific Railroad and afterward became timekeeper and bookkeeper for Joshua
Taylor, who had taken the contract for the stone used in the erection of the Lincoln
penitentiary. This necessitated Mr. Pollock's removal to Lincoln, Nebraska, where he
was engaged until the completion of the work, when he started with Mr. Taylor for
St. Paul, Minnesota. At Knoxville, Iowa, however, they paused and Mr. Taylor secured a
ccntrict there for getting out stone for culverts on the Albia & Des Moines Valley Rail-
road, Mr. Pollock remaining in his employ until 1871, when following the great Chicago
fire he went to that city to view the ruins. He then continued his journey to Phila-
delphia and afterward visited New York city but again came to Colorado in June, 1S74.
Here he began contracting and secured the contract for painting the courthouse at Castle
Rock. In the following year he went to San Juan county when the gold excitement there
was at its height. In the fall of 1875 he became identified with ranching interests,
beginning to herd cattle on his own account and at the same time was similarly employed
by Albert Benjamin. He watched the herds under his charge in the vicinity of Acquia
until 1879, when on account of the scarcity of grass he started his herd for the head-
waters of the north fork of the Republican river. Mr. Pollock continued in the cattle
business until 1SS3, when he sold his herd of three hundred head, for which he received
about sixteen thousand dollars. He then returned to Denver and soon afterward pur-
chased a farm near the city, on which he engaged in general agricultural pursuits for
a considerable period. In 1903, however, he sold his ranch and took charge of the Green-
laud ranch, owned by J. A. McMurtrie, remaining in that connection until 1909. The
following year he lived retired from business, but indolence and idleness are utterly
foreign to his nature and when a twelvemonth had passed he joined with Ben. Kelt
and R. F. Gill in organizing the Littleton Feed & Fuel Company, of which he has since



HISTORY OF COLORADO 293

been president. They have conducted a substantial business at Littleton, their trade
steadily increasing, so that the enterprise has become one of the profitable commercial
interests of the town.

On the 23d of July, 18S4, Mr. Pollock was married to Miss Jessie M. Babcock, of
Douglas county, Colorado, and a daughter of Alonzo A. and Rosa (Estlake) Babcock.
They are well known socially, having a large circle of warm friends who esteem them
highly by reason of their sterling worth. Mr. Pollock is well known in Masonic circles,
belonging to Western Lodge, No. 22, A. F. & A. M., of Littleton, and Denver Chapter,
No. 2; Colorado Consistory, No. 1, and EI Jebel Temple, at Denver. Of the first he is a
past master and the treasurer. His political allegiance has always been given to the
republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and while a resi-
dent of Douglas county he was a candidate for county commissioner, also for the state
legislature, being defeated for the latter by the narrow margin of seven votes. In all
matters of citizenship he stands for progress and improvement, for development and
advancement, and his efforts in behalf of the public good have been far-reaching and
beneficial.



FRANK L. MOORHEAD.



Boulder, the seat of the University of Colorado, with its splendidly organized law
school and also the seat of many progressive business enterprises and the center of large
mining interests, has drawn to it a large number of the leading attorneys of the state.
Testing his ability with other representatives of the profession, Frank L. Moorhead has
become well established as an able lawyer of developing powers and is now accorded a
gratifying clientage. Boulder numbers him among her native sons. He was born in 18S5,
of the marriage of James L. and Josephine (Carnahan) Moorhead. The father was
born in Holmes county, Ohio, and after removing westward to Colorado when this was
still largely a frontier state he was married in Boulder to Josephine Carnahan. Rear-
ing their family in Boulder, Frank L. Moorhead attended its public schools and in
1907 completed a classical course in the State University with the degree of Bachelor
of Arts. He determined upon the practice of law as a life work, and with broad literary
learning to serve as the foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of profes-
sional knowledge, he entered the law school and won the LL. B. degree upon gradua-
tion with the class of 1909. He has since practiced in Boulder and in April, 1916, he
was appointed city attorney to fill a vacancy caused by the death of H. E. Rowland.
He was reappointed in April, 1917, and was again appointed under the new charter on
the 1st of January, 1918, so that he is the present incumbent in the position. He ia
also a director of the Boulder Building & Loan Association.

In his political views Mr. Moorhead has always been a republican since age con-
ferred upon him the right of franchise. He belongs to the Delta Tau Delta and the
Phi Delta Phi, two college fraternities. He is also a member of the Boulder Club and
he attends the Episcopal church. His genuine worth has won him high regard on
the part of his fellowmen and his professional career thus far is an augury of future
success and advancement.



GEORGE P. STEWART.



George P. Stewart, serving for the third term as county treasurer of Douglas
county, was born February 18. 1863, near Melbourne, Australia, a son of Charles and
Emma (Salas) Stewart, the former a native of Scotland, while the latter was of Aus-
tralian birth. When George P. Stewart was but four years of age he was taken to
England by his uncle to be educated in the schools of that country and they were three
months in making the trip. He attended the public schools of London and St. Aubins,
and later became a student of Victoria College on the isle of Jersey. He crossed the
Atlantic to America in 1879, when a youth of sixteen years, and made his way to
Plum Station, now Sedalia, Colorado, where he lived with an uncle. He afterward
took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres and also preempted one hundred
and sixty acres and secured a timber claim of equal amount. Subsequently he kept
adding to his holdings from time to time as his financial resources increased until his
landed possessions aggregated seventeen hundred acres. He had been educated for
engineering work and since coming to the new world has done more or less in that



294 HISTORY OF COLORADO

connection, in addition to his labors along other lines. For twenty years he occupied
the position of county surveyor — a fact which stands as unmistakable evidence of his
capability, fidelity and the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen. Appre-
ciative of his worth and recognizing his loyalty to every public duty, his fellow citizens
elected him to the ofiice of county treasurer and by reelection have continued him in
the position for four terms. Since first coming to Colorado he has spent one year in
California and at two other times has visited that state.

Mr. Stewart was united in marriage to Mrs. Millie Mclnroy, also a native of
Australia, and to them have been born four children who are living. George H., who
was born December 8, 1S83, and is residing upon a ranch on Plum creek, married Marg-
aret Grout and has four children, Margaret, Amy, Helen and Elizabeth. Douglas N.,
born December 25, 1S87, married Lena Ayers, of Fort Collins, and has two children,
Mildred and George P. Douglas N. Stewart is now county engineer, serving for the
second term in that position. Charles C, born in December, 1890, is now in the
United States army as veterinary surgeon, being in the Veterinary Medical Corps
with the commission of lieutenant. George M., born October 22, 1895, enlisted in the
cavalry but is now serving as sergeant with infantry troops.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Episcopal church. Mr. Stewart
gives his political allegiance to the Republican party, of which he has always been a
stalwart champion. Fraternally he is connected with the Woodmen of the World at
Castle Rock and is clerk of the local camp. Coming to the new world in young man-
hood, he has always been a loyal American citizen, putting forth the most earnest
effort to advance the welfare and substantial upbuilding of his community, his com-
monwealth and his country, and the spirit of patriotism dominating the family is indi-
cated in the fact that two of the sons are now with the colors.



JASPER D. BABCOCK.



Jasper D. Babcock, filling the office of justice of the peace at Morrison, has led
a most active, useful and interesting life, bringing him into close connection with
mining interests in various parts of Colorado, while as hotel proprietor he has also
become widely known. He has passed the seventy-fourth milestone on life's journey,
his birth having occurred in Rochester, New York, February 9, 1845. He is a son of
Sanford and Adelia J. (Green) Babcock, the latter a sister of Seth Green, the dis-
coverer of the method of artificial propagation of fsh. Jasper D. Babcock comes of
Revolutionary war stock and his grandfather. Adanijah Green, was a soldier of the
War of 1812 and one of the founders of Rochester, New York.

Jasper D. Babcock was educated in the schools of Springfield, Illinois, whither
he had gone with his parents, when a lad of about twelve years, and in which city
his father for many years, followed his profession of dentistry. The last years of the
parents' lives were spent in Colorado where they made their home with their son
Jasper D. In 1861, when a youth of but sixteen years, he responded to the country's
call tor troops, joining the boys in blue of Company C, Second Illinois Light Artillery.
He was on detached service with the United States Military Telegraph Corps and
the principal engagements in which he participated were at Arkansas Post, Vicks-
burg. Champion Hill and Port Gibson. When the war was over he became an operator
for the Western Union Telegraph Company and acted as station agent and operator
at various places on the Illinois Central Railroad between St. Louis and New Orleans.
He afterward remained at Marlin, Texas, as telegraph operator from 1867 until 1869
and in the latter year came to Colorado but remained at that time for only a short
period. He then returned to Illinois, going to Macoupin county, where he accepted
a position with the old Rockford. Rock Island & St. Louis Railway as telegraph opera-
tor and agent, at Medora, where he remained until late in 1873, going then to Kansas
City, Missouri, and associating himself with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway
Company. In April, 1875, he once more made his way to Colorado, settling in Jefferson
county, where he entered the employ of the Colorado Central Railroad as agent and
operator. He worked at the old Beaver Brook station until 1879, when he turned
his attention to the hotel business in Golden, there remaining until 1881. He after-
ward built the famous resort "Troutdale in the Pines" in the Bear Creek canyon and
conducted it until 1893. He next engaged in mining in different parts of the state
until 1897, when he resumed the hotel business at Evergreen, where he continued
until 1908. In that year he became a resident of Morrison. He engaged in prospecting
and mining until 1910, when he was appointed postmaster of the town and occupied







'mt^




F


^^^




y






296 HISTORY OF COLORADO

the position until 1915. He is now serving as justice of the peace but otherwise has
retired from active business. He has been a great enthusiast ever trap shooting and
was president of the Denver Shooting Club. He has a beautiful medal for being the
best shot in the club, awarded him in 1876. He has been a great hunter and fisherman
and has greatly enjoyed all forms of outdoor life.

On the 10th of November, 1866, Mr. Babcock was united In marriage at Mound
City, Illinois, to Miss Lizzie Cecelia Tibbs, who was born in Deerfield, Ohio, but was
educated and reared at Mound City, Illinois. The children of this marriage are:
Mary, the deceased wife of William Tudor; Lizzie C, who is the wife of John Kirby
and is manager for the telephone company in this district; J. Dwight, a ranchman
and cattle raiser of Routt county; and William A., who is engaged in the same
line of business in Eagle county. In November, 1916, Mr. and Mrs. Babcock celebrated
their golden wedding. There was a wonderful surprise charivari and almost the
entire town turned out. The Episcopal wedding ceremony was read over again by the
minister as it had been fifty years before and the occasion was made one of great
Interest and delight to all who participated therein. The companionship of Mr. and
Mrs. Babcock has grown all the closer as the long years have passed and they have
shared together the joys and sorrows, the adversity and prosperity that checker
the careers of all. The love which they bear each other has been the redeeming feature
that has compensated for all earthly trials and hardships and they are certainly
fortunate in that they have been permitted to go down the western slope of life thus
far together. Their religious faith is that of the Christian Science church. In politics
Mr. Babcock is a republican and fraternally is a Mason, having been initiated into the
order, in the early '70s, in Fidelity Lodge, No. 152, at Fidelity, Illinois. He Is also
a Knight of Pythias and an Odd Fellow. He also has membership in T. H. Dodd Post,
G. A. R., of Golden, and thus maintains pleasant relations with his old army com-
rades. In days of peace, as in days of war, he has ever been a true and loyal American
citizen, as faithful to his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner on
the battlefields of the south.



FRED L. PADDELFORD.



Fred L. Paddelford, for sixteen years superintendent of the State Industrial School
at Golden, was born on a farm in Henry county, Illinois, January 24, 1867, a son of
James H. and Rachel D. (Hanna) Paddelford. In the paternal line the ancestry is
traced back to the colonial period and the mother of James H. Paddelford passed
away at the notable old age of ninety-three years. She had attended the funeral of
George Washington. In the maternal line the family comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry.

Fred L. Paddelford was educated in the public and high schools of Illinois and
in 1888, when twenty-one years of age, was a teacher in the Illinois State School for
Boys at Pontiac, with which he was connected until 1891. He afterward read law
in Lincoln, Nebraska, and was admitted to the bar in 1893. Subsequently he returned
to the State School at Pontiac, with which he remained until the Spanish-American
war broke out, at which time he joined the Third Nebraska Infantry.

After the war Mr. Paddelford took up ranching in Wyoming but in 1900 came to
Golden, taking up \s'ork as a teacher in the State Industrial School. His previous
experience along that line was of great benefit to him and recognition of his worth
and ability came in his appointment in 1902 to the superintendency of the school, in
which position he has now been retained for more than sixteen years. He is today
one of the noted educators of the country in his particular branch. He has accom-
plished wonders with the boys by being a companion to them and calling forth the
best in them. He has studied boy nature, knows their temptations and their possi-
bilities and conducts his work along constructive lines. He is an athlete of note, in
the state, and is still pitcher on the school baseball team and in the summer of 1918
struck out eighteen men in one game. This naturally gives him a strong hold upon
the boys and he soon wins their confidence and love. Hardly a day passes but one
of his old graduates comes to visit him and the institution under his supervision has
become one of the finest in the country. Notable improvements have been carried on
during the sixteen years of Mr. Paddelford's connection with the school. The acreage
has been increased from fifty-eight to four hundred and sixty-five acres and the lawns
have been trebled in size. Two cottages have been erected, also a gymnasium, a
kitchen, dining room, bakery and chapel. Two barns have been completed, the school
forces doing all the work thereon, and an addition to the hospital has been erected




FRED L. PADDPLFORD



298 HISTORY OF COLORADO

from concrete blocks made by the boys, who have also done all the other work. All
the toilet rooms have been furnished with enameled wainscoting and tiled floors. All
of the cement walks now in use have been laid except the one from the main drive
to the old main building. A fountain basin has been constructed and the road paved
for traffic and pedestrians from the grounds to the depot. A florist has been employed
and the grounds have been greatly beautified. Considerable equipment has been
placed on the playgrounds, a one hundred foot flagpole has been erected and the flag
is always kept flying. There has been an addition built to the print shop, through
the labor of the boys, machinery has been installed in the shoe shop and the aaj>
penter shop, with additional equipment in the machine, print and laundry shops.
Brick pavement has been laid all about the dining room building and the school has
recognized the value of refining influences, to which end white napkins and white
tablecloths are in use at every meal in the boys' dining rooms, while silverware and
china dishes have been substituted for ironware and enameled dishes. The variety
and attractiveness of the food has been greatly increased and boys are permitted to
talk in the dining room. Toothbrushes and powder are furnished all boys and every
efi'ort has been made to produce a desire for that physical cleanliness which is always
a part of moral and cultural development. One of the improved features of the farm
has been the introduction of pedigreed cattle, horses and hogs, the calves raised sell-
ing as high as four hundred dollars each. A silo of five hundred tons capacity has
been erected. Thirteen hundred cherry trees have been planted on land above ditch
and irrigated from a big \vel\ of eight hundred thousand gallons which has been put
in, furnishing enough water for all domestic purposes and to some extent for irriga-
tion. Hundreds of rods of woven wire fence have been put up. a refrigerating and
ice plant has been erected. Concrete hotbeds have been constructed and beds in the
greenhouse have been made of concrete. The greenhouse supplies all flowers for tables,
chapel, schoolrooms, etc. Great indeed have been the improvements made in the sys-
tem of instruction. Instruction is given on alternate days, the intervening days being
devoted to work of various kinds upon the farm. Corporal punishment has been
almost entirely abolished. There are three male teachers for the higher grades, two
female teachers for the lower grades and there are also special teachers employed
for instruction in various branches of work, including the machinist's trade. The
boys are given religious instruction; Catholic boys are taught separately in their
Sunday school, while arrangements have been made for the Jewish boys to have
instruction in their religion given by volunteer teachers from Denver. There is a
well organized band of thirty-eight pieces, which furnishes music for all chapel exer-
cises and entertainment. The military organization has been perfected and modernized
and a fine silk flag has been won for "being the best drilled military organization
in line on July 4, 1911," in Denver. Five purple championship ribbons and prizes
have been taken on live stock at the Western Stock Show besides numerous first and
second premiums won there and at the State Fair. Lecture and entertainment courses
have been greatly extended and basketball, football and baseball games are regularly
scheduled and played with high school and other outside teams. The school is con-
ducted along the most humanitarian lines, that the boys may be fitted physically,
mentally and morally to become good citizens and a large percentage — more than
ninety per cent — finally make good.

In April, 1917, Mr. Paddelford was married to Dr. Esther S. Cherry, a musician
of note, who was musical critic on Denver papers and at the time of her marriage
was the first vice president of the Denver Woman's Club. The influence of both
Mr. and Mrs. Paddelford has been along cultural lines and their work of a construc-
tive character. That Mr. Paddelford is a man of keen sagacity and of deep sympathy
and human interest is shadowed forth between the lines of this review and his work
has gained him well deserved prominence in this connection.



E. PORTER SMITH.



E. Porter Smith, of Arvada, Colorado, who is now living retired, has been a suc-
cessful agriculturist, having acquired a (Competence as the result of his industrious
life's labors. He is a native of Harmony, Maine, and was born March 3, 1845, a son
of Samuel and Lucy (Bates) Smith. When he was three years of age the family
removed to Bloomington, Illinois, but when he was six years old left there, for Boston,
Massachusetts. In that city he remained for two years, when removal was made to
Lawrence, Kansas. The father was a drummer in John Brown's Company and E. Porter



HISTORY OF COLORADO 299

Smith of this review was in the Indian troubles upon the Kansas frontier. Later he
served two years with Company M, of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, being in Price's
raid in 1864, and he was out on the plains when Lee surrendered. He then came to
Colorado, finding work in the Georgetown mines, and after having saved sutficient
money acquired one hundred and sixty acres of land near Broomfield, to the success-
ful cultivation of which he devoted his time and attention until several years ago, when
he retired, selling out at that time. In his farming methods he was progressive and
made many improvements upon his place, creating out of a wilderness a valuable
farming property. He thus acquired a competence which now permits him to rest
from further labor. In his early days he assisted in building the Colorado & Southern
Railroad, working on the grade work.

On September 30, 1870, Mr. Smith was married in Arvada to Miss Mary Graves,
a daughter of Oliver and Lucy (Story) Graves, natives of Vermont and Ohio respec-
tively. Their daughter Mary was born in Bloomington, Illinois, and came with her
parents to Colorado in 1860, where they settled in the mountains between Golden and
Central. Her father engaged in farming, along which line he was successful, and
also built the toll road between Grey Hill and Smith's Hill. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith
eleven children were born: Oliver, who is located near Broomfield; George S.;
Frank; Winnie, who is now Mrs. William Schulz and resides near Griffith; Nettie,
the wife of Ernest N. Carne; Harry, of Broomfield; Ada, the wife of H. Metzger, of
Cleveland, Ohio; Myrtle, who is Mrs. Theodore Scheppe; Homer; Alfred, who is now
in France with Company F, Fourth United States Infantry; and Mary L., who married
David Landry of Colorado Springs.

E. Porter Smith is a republican in his political views and has always supported
the men and measures of that party. He is deeply interested in public progress and
by developing a fine farm property has contributed toward the agricultural upbuilding
of his state. Moreover, he is ever ready to give aid to movements of a public nature
which have for their purpose the benefit of the public and he is highly esteemed in
his community, where he has made many friends, being numbered among its pioneers.
His religious faith is that of the Methodist church and he is interested in its work and
its allied institutions. All who know him speak of him in the highest terms and



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 108)