Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 39 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 39 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Dr. Phillips of this review was the seventh in order of birth In that family. He
was educated in the public schools of Hindsville. Arkansas, and also attended the
College View College, near Lincoln, Nebraska. He completed his studies, however,
in the Kansas City University of Kansas City, Kansas. For seventeen years previous to
1906, Dr. Samuel G. Phillips had charge of the field work for the Pacific Press Pub-
lishing Company of Oakland, California, with branch house at Kansas City. Missouri.
He began at the bottom with them and worked his way to the top. He was field
manager for the territory extending from Mexico to Canada and from the Mississippi
river to the Pacific coast. The company was a distributor and publisher of bibles
and other religious works. Dr. Phillips made his headquarters in Arkansas, Missouri
and Colorado, and handled millions of dollars for the company. In 1906, however,
tiring of the nomadic life and desiring to take up the practice of medicine and sur-
gery, he resigned his position. The company endeavored by increased pay and other
inducements to persuade him to remain. They offered him the opportunity to go for
them to England, to the Pacific islands and also to Australia: but Dr. Phillips
adhered to his determination to become a physician and surgeon. He spent three




DR. SAMUEL G. PHILLIPS



310 HISTORY OF COLORADO

years in the Denver Homeopathic College and for one year was a student in the
medical department of the Kansas City University. He was graduated with the M. D.
degree in 1910 and through the following two years he served as an interne at the
Park Avenue Hospital in Denver. He next entered upon the private practice of
'medicine, in which he has since actively continued and his pronounced ability is
evidenced in his increasing patronage. He was at one time medical examiner of the
German American Life Insurance Company of Denver and was medical examiner of
the Modern Brotherhood and the Knights and Ladies of Security. He was also con-
nected with the Modern Woodmen of America in a similar capacity and is now medi-
cal examiner for the Court of Honor and medical examiner for the American Life
Insurance Company. He is a member of the staff of St. Anthony's Hospital of Denver
and also of the Park Avenue Hospital Association and its vice president. He is a
well known and frequent contributor to medical journals and his writings always
elicit interest and attention. He belongs to the American Institute of Homeopathy,
to the Colorado State Homeopathic Society and to the Twentieth Century Medical Club
of Denver. He is likewise identified with the Denver Homeopathic Society and was
at one time vice president of the Colorado State Homeopathic Society. He holds to
high professional standards and has kept abreast in all of his professional work and
thought with those who are recognized leaders in the practice of homeopathy.

Dr. Phillips has been twice married. In 1884. in Hindsville, Arkansas, he married
Anna Fritz, a native of that state and a daughter of Martin and Matilda (Johnston)
Fritz, the former now deceased. To Dr. and Mrs. Phillips were born eight children,
six sons and two daughters. His second marriage occurring October 2, 1918, when he
wedded Mrs. Marian F. Brown, a native of Iowa, and a graduate nurse.

Dr. Phillips maintains an independent course in the exercise of his right of fran-
chise yet often supports republican principles, in which he believes. He is a Mason
of high rank and member of the Mystic Shrine and he also belongs to the Lions Club
and to the Kiwanis Club of Denver. His social qualities render him popular in these
organizations, while at the same time his professional skill and conscientious service
have gained for him an enviable position as a homeopathic practitioner. Dr. Phillips
has pursued postgraduate work in surgery at the Metropolitan and Bellevue Hospitals
of New York city. He also spent some time visiting the prominent hospitals at Wash-
ington, D. C, his object being to further perfect himself in surgery.



ROBERT G. PAYNE.



The Yale Laundry, of which Robert G. Payne is the founder and of which he is
now president and manager, is one of the leading establishments of the kind in the
city. It had its start in a very modest and unostentatious way, the work being under-
taken by Mr. and Mrs. Payne in small quarters, but through careful attention to busi-
ness they have developed a patronage of extensive proportions and their trade is
now in a well equipped plant.

Mr. Payne was born in Maury county, Tennessee, May 4, 1864, a son of James
Madison and Lucy C. (Perry) Payne, the former a native of Virginia and the latter
of Tennessee. In young manhood the father removed to Tennessee, where he and his
wife spent their remaining days, and he became well known as a planter and slave-
holder prior to the Civil war. He was born in 1815 and died at the age of eighty-six
years, while his wife, who was born in 1S22, passed away at the age of seventy-eight. In
both the paternal and maternal lines Robert G. Payne comes of families long identified
with the south and prominent in connection with many events in both Virginia and
Tennessee.

The youngest in a family of eight children, Robert G. Payne attended the schools
of Maury county until his seventeenth year, when he left home and made his way to
Emporia, Kansas, where he became an employe in a grocery store, continuing in that
position for five years. He then severed his connection with the house and removed
to Denver in 1889. Here he again secured a clerkship in a grocery store, with which
he continued for five years, after which he obtained a position with the Old Home-
stead Baking Company and was in that employ tor twelve years. On the 20th of
June, 1910, he established a small laundry in connection with his wife. It was at
first a hand laundry but as the business grew the most modern machinery has been
installed and today the Yale Laundry is one of the best equipped of the city. In 1913
the New Method Laundry was consolidated with the Yale and as the result of the
amalgamation of these two strong companies the business has increased many fold,



HISTORY OF COLORADO 311



employing now from seventy-five to eighty people and utilizing nine delivery

and trucks. The building occupied is thoroughly modern in every way and the trade

now extends to various points outside of Denver. Mr. Payne is the president and

manager of the business. The corporation is a close one. Mr. Payne is president of

the Denver Laundrymen's Association. He also has membership in the Manufacturers

Association.

Mr. Payne has been married twice. He first wedded Miss Anna L. Casey, a native
of Tennessee, the wedding being celebrated in 1891. She passed away in Denver in
1904, leaving a son, Harold B. Payne, who was born in Denver in 1898 and is a
graduate of the high school. He is now in the national army with the Artillery Corps
at Camp Taylor. In 1906 Mr. Payne was married to Minnie E. Ball, a daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. William Henry Ball, well known people of Denver, having resided here
from the early days. Mr. Payne may truly be called a self-made man and as the
architect of his own fortunes he has builded wisely and well.



GEORGE W. HARRIMAN.



Inseparably interwoven with the history of Jefferson county is the name of
George W. Harriman because of the active part which he took in the promotion of
its interests. He was identified with mining, with hotel keeping, with the agricultural
development of his section of the state, and his work was particularly valuable in
connection with irrigation interests. While actuated by the laudable ambition of
winning success in his business affairs, he at the same time was ever mindful of
his duties and obligations as a citizen, contributing in large measure to the upbuild-
ing of the district in which he made his home.

A native of Canada, Mr. Harriman was born in Argentine on the 1st of Sep-
tember, 1826, his parents being Reuben and Abigail (Davis) Harriman, whose family
numbered seven children. The father was a native of Vermont, bom January 1, 1799.
In his youth he accompanied his father to Canada, where he learned the shoemaker's
trade and afterward followed that occupation throughout his entire life. In 1833 he
became a resident of Niagara county. New York, where he resided until 1842. He
then went to Ohio, whence he afterward/ removed to Indiana. At a later period he
went to Michigan and in 1848 took up his abode in Walworth county, Wisconsin, where
he resided until he was called to his final rest on the 12th of April, 1863.

George W. Harriman accompanied his parents on their various removals, thus
gaining wide experience which proved of worth to him in his later years. Having
reached adult age, he was married November 11, 1851, at Elkhorn, Wisconsin, to Miss
Betsy M. Spencer and for six months thereafter conducted a hotel there but at the
end of that time turned his attention to farming. In 1858, however, he became pro-
prietor of a livery stable at Elkhorn, Wisconsin, and also again conducted a hotel
there.

The year 1860 witnessed his arrival in Colorado. Making his way across the
plains with a two-horse team, he reached Boulder on the 2Sth of June and afterward
went to Central City, whene he devoted a month to mining and then established a
boarding house, which he conducted for a year. In the spring of 1861 he located at
Kenosha, Park county, Colorado, where he built a hotel, which he carried on for
three and a half years. He was one of the pioneer hotel men of the state and while
thus engaged he took part in the Espanosa and Runnell raids. Because of the lawless
conditions that existed in the frontier settlement, he decided to dispose of his inter-
ests there in October. 1865, and returned to Wisconsin, where he spent the winter.
However, the lure of the west was upon him and in the following spring he returned
to Colorado and conducted a stage line running between Denver and Buckskin Joe.
A year later he removed to Turkey Creek, two miles above Morrison, in Jefferson
county, and there built a hotel, which he conducted for three years, and at the same
time was engaged in stock raising and teaming. In 1870 he settled on what became
known as the Harriman ranch, on Bear creek, between Fort Logan and Morrison,
homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land, to the development and improve-
ment of which he at once gave his attention. He studied closely the conditions of
the country, its opportunities and possibilities and realized how valuable the district
would become if water could be supplied to the arid plains. He became the originator
and principal promoter of the extensive irrigation system of Bear Creek valley. He
was the prime mover in support of the Arnett ditch, which had been begun two years
before. It was Mr. Harriman who worked out the plans for its completion by hta




MRS. HATTIE M. WATSON



314 HISTORY OF COLORADO

undaunted energy and saw that the project was carried forward to success. On the
completion of the ditch with all of its ramifications Mr. Harrlman took over the
Arnett interests and it became known as the Harriman ditch. In 1873 he was the
builder of a large reservoir, the first in Colorado, and thus he became the father of
the great system of storage reservoirs now- so prominent a feature in the develop-
ment of the state and the promotix)n of its agricultural interests. He was largely
instrumental in building the Bergen reservoirs and was also one of the heaviest stock-
holders in the Soda Lake reservoirs. The worth and value of his labors can scarcely
be overestimated. He was indeed an important factor in that work which has made
Colorado to bloom and blossom as the rose, reclaiming its arid districts tor the pur-
poses of civilization, converting wild tracts of land into rich and productive farms
that provide the means of livelihood for thousands.

In all public affairs Mr. Harriman was also deeply interested and his fellow
townsmen, appreciative of his worth and ability, elected him a member of the board
of county commissioners that had charge of the erection of the courthouse at Golden.
His fellow townsmen strongly urged him to become a candidate for the state legisla-
ture, but his ambition was not in the path of office holding and he declined. While
Fort Logan was being builded he was one of the contractors who made brick for the
building and he also did much teaming work in connection with the erection of the
fort. His business affairs were wisely and carefully directed and as the years passed
he kept adding to his holdings until within the boundaries of his ranch were
comprised eight hundred and eighty acres. A spirit of warm-hearted hospitality per-
vaded the place, its good cheer and hearty welcome being greatly enjoyed by the many
friends of the family. In 1897 Mr. Harriman sold his ranch and removed to Fort
Logan, where he lived retired until his demise. Mr. Harriman reached the age of
almost ninety years, passing away on the 24th of August, 1915, while the wife and
mother died on the 2d of May, 1908.

Mr. and Mrs. Harriman became the parents of four children, but only two sur-
vive, Clark S., a prominent ranchman of Park county, Colorado, and Hattie M., the
latter the widow of W. J. Watson. She was born in Park county, Colorado, and
reared and educated in Denver. On August 18, 1886, she married William J. Watson,
a native of England, who had come to America, with his parents, when a lad of
fifteen years and resided in Kansas until 1882, when he came to Colorado, locating
in Jefferson county. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Watson resided in Jef-
ferson county until 1S87, when they removed to the western slope, where he was
numbered among the leading ranchmen and stockraisers, up to the time of his death
which occurred October 2, 1896.

To Mr. and Mrs. Watson were born two sons: George H., a well known and
prosperous ranchman of Park county, Colorado; and William C, now with the Southern
Pacific Railway Company as agent at Fernley, Nevada, and prominently identified
with the Order of Railway Trainmen.

In her political views Mrs. Watson is a republican, believing firmly in the prin-
ciples of the party. She was postmaster at Fort Logan from 1912 to 1916 and she
has been very prominent and active in public affairs of the community, doing not a
little to shape public thought and opinion. Her labors in behalf of war activities
were particularly valuable and resultant. She has been a member of the Woman's
Division of the Colorado Council of National Defense, very active in Red Cross work,
was a surveyor on the registration of nurses for war work and a member of the food
administration at Fort Logan. At once recognizing the needs of the country with
the entrance of America into the war and knowing that there would be much work
that women could do in this connection, she began giving her time and effort to meet
these calls for service, doing everything within her power that would promote the
interests, the health and the welfare of the boys over there.



CHARLES A. MacMILLAN.



Charles A. MacMillan needs no introduction to the readers of this volume
and especially to the citizens of Denver, where he is widely and prominently
known as a la-w'yer and by reason of his activities along philanthropic lines. Illinois
claims him as a native son, for his birth occurred in the city of Peoria on the 15th of
October, 1870. He is a son of James Calvin and Katherine (Anderson) MacMillan.
In the paternal line he comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry, although the family has been
represented in the United States through three generations. In the maternal line he



HISTORY OF COLORADO 315

is descended from New England stock. His father was born in Indiana but removed
to Illinois, where he engaged in farming and stock raising. When the country be-
came involved in civil war, however, he offered his aid to the Union and went to
the front with the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, with which he did active service. He
was an aide-de-camp on the staff of General Grant and he remained at the front until
victory crowned the Union arms. He is now residing upon a farm in Arapahoe
county, Colorado, but is not actively engaged in agricultural pursuits, having put aside
business cares to enjoy a well earned rest. To him and his wife have been born six
children, of whom five are living.

Charles A. MacMillan was a public school pupil in Kansas, to which state his
parents removed after leaving Illinois. Later he continued his education in the Uni-
versity of Denver as a member of the class of 1894. He then left that institution but
studied law in Denver under a private preceptor and thus qualified for admission to
the bar. He was licensed to practice in 1896 and opened an office in the E. and C.
building in Denver. After a brief period, however, he removed to Wyoming, settling at
Rock Springs, and for two terms he served as prosecuting attorney of the district.
He then removed to Spokane, Washington, where he remained for seven years, prac-
ticing law there until appointed special United States district attorney under President
Taft, in which capacity he served from 1909 until 1911. The following year he re-
turned to Denver, where he has since engaged in the practice of law and in the
management of his private interests.

In 1899 Mr. MacMillan was united in marriage to Miss Anna Wight, who was
born in Maine, a daughter of Frederick D. Wight, of Denver, who was at one time
a very prominent business man of Trinidad, Colorado, and a leading citizen of the
state. His later years were passed in Denver, where he died about six years ago,
leaving an extensive estate. To Mr. and Mrs. MacMillan have been born five chil-
dren: Dorothy, a student at The Wolcott School, Denver, and who possesses considerable
musical talent; Charles Wight, born August 1, 1902, in Denver, a high school pupil;
Frederick Dearborn, born October 2, 1904, in Rock Springs, Wyoming, attending high
school; and Ruth and Marjorie, who are also in school.

Mr. MacMillan turns to motoring, to trout fishing and to golf for recreation. He
belongs to Beta Theta Pi, a college fraternity, and he is also connected with the Benev-
olent Protective Order of Elks and with the Masonic fraternity. His membership in
the latter is in Oriental Lodge, No. 74, A. F. & A. M., of Spokane; in Colorado Chapter,
No. 29, R. A. M.; Denver Commandery, No. 25, K. T.; and in El Jebel Temple of the
Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Lakewood Country Club and to the Denver Athletic
Club, and is a member of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association. He is also
a member of the First Congregational church and of the Young Men's Christian Asso-
ciation and in the latter is serving on the boys' committee. He takes a deep interest
in philanthropic work, contributing generously to the support of many plans and move-
ments toward ameliorating hard conditions of life for the unfortunate and is ever ready
to extend a helping hand where aid is needed. Intensely interested in the vital prob-
lems of the country at the present time, he does active service in connection with the
promotion of Liberty loans and the Red Cross. His life has Indeed been a busy, active
and useful one, characterized by high purposes and fraught with great good.



JOHN R. WOLFF.



Liberal educational training well qualified John R. Wolff for professional activity
and since 1900 he has been actively and successfully engaged in the practice of law
in Boulder. He was born upon a farm in Jefferson county, Colorado, near Denver, in
1877. His grandfather, John B. Wolff, was a native of Martinsburg, Virginia, and was
a son of Joseph Wolff, who served America as a soldier in the War of 1812 and again
in the Mexican war. He was also keeper of the Long Bridge at Washington, D. C,
during the Civil war. His father had been a soldier in the Continental army during
the Revolutionary war and thus through many generations the family has manifested
the utmost loyalty to American interests. John Wolff, the father of John R. Wolff
of this review, was born in Wheeling, Virginia, now West Virginia, in the year 1848
and was a youth of fourteen years when in July, 18fi2, he arrived in Colorado in
company with his father. They settled upon a ranch near Denver, where John Wolff
remained for six or seven years. He then returned eastward as far as Iowa and
spent two years in that state, after which he again became a resident of Colorado,
settling in Larimer county. At a later period he removed to Adams county, where



316 HISTORY OF COLORADO

he engaged in ranching for a number of years and then took up his abode in Boulder,
where he now makes his home.

Between the years 1881 and 1895 John R. Wolft remained upon his father's farm
in Adams county, Colorado, having the usual experiences that fall to the lot of the
farmbred boy who divides his time between the acquirement of a public school educa-
tion and the work of the fields. He continued in the district schools until 1888, when
he entered the North Denver high school, from which he was graduated with the
class of 1895. He determined upon a professional career and with that end in view
entered the University of Colorado at Boulder, completing his law course as a graduate
of the class of 1899 and finishing his academic course as a member of the class of
1900. Thus well qualified by liberal literary and professional training, he entered upon
the practice of his profession in Boulder and through the intervening years has
specialized in mining law, showing marked ability in handling important cases of
this character, while the extent of his clientage indicates much concerning his success.

On the 22d of July, 1903, Mr. Wolff was united in marriage to Miss Maude C.
Hague, a daughter of Charles G. Hague, and they now have two children, John R. and
Lois Josephine. Mr. Wolff is a member of the First Presbyterian church, is also
identified with the Boulder Club and is a Master Mason. His political allegiance is
given to the republican party and these associations and membership relations indicate
much of the nature of his interests and the rules which govern his conduct. Aside
from his activity along those lines and in the path of his profession he is greatly
interested in mining and is a director in many mining companies, having made most
judicious investment in mining properties in this section of the country. His judg-
ment is sound, his discrimination keen and his investments have brought to him
a substantial financial return. There ars few, if any, more thoroughly conversant
with mining law in all of its departments and phases, and the soundness of his legal
opinions is attested by colleagues and contemporaries at the bar.



JAMES N. COUNTER.



James N. Counter, one of the progressive, alert and energetic business men of
Brighton, was born in the province of Ontario, Canada. January 10, 1858, a son of
Charles and Adelaide (Watts) Counter. He obtained his education in Ontario and
in Kansas, the family having removed during his boyhood days to the latter state. He
learned the printer's trade in Belleville, Kansas, where he worked until he reached his
majority. He then went to Oberlin, Kansas, where he conducted a newspaper for a time,
and in 1887 he arrived in Wray, Colorado, where he purchased the Wray Rattler, which
he owned and published for ten years. He made it a very attractive journal, the name
indicating the enterprising spirit manifest in the paper and its endorsement of all those
interests of benefit to the public. Prospering in his undertaking, he extended the scope
of his business activity by the purchase of a lumber yard there. This he conducted
until 1902, when he disposed of his interests in Wray and removed to Brighton, where
he became owner of a lumber yard, in which he carries an extensive line of all kinds
of lumber and building supplies. He has built up a business of large and gratifying
proportions.

In Belleville, Kansas, on the 29th of July, 1883, Mr. Counter was united in
marriage to Miss May Tucker, a daughter of H. Tucker. Their children are four in
number. James C. is now in the service of the government as irrigation manager
of the Belle Fouche (So. Dak.) irrigation project. He is a graduate of the state
college, at Fort Collins, where he pursued a thorough course in civil and irrigation
engineering, being later elected to the office of county surveyor for Adams county,
which position he filled most creditably. Benjamin T. Is associated in business with
his father in Brighton. Clara J. is the wife of William A. Gaddis. Mildred, the young-



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 39 of 108)