Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 40 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

est, is yet at home.

Mr. Counter belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. In the former he has connections with Brighton Lodge, No. 7S, A. F. & A. M.,
of which he is a past master; Denver Chapter. No. 2, R. A. M.; Colorado Commandery,
No. 1, K. T.; and El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine. His political allegiance is
given to the democratic party and he is recognized as one of its leaders in his section
of the state. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, called him to
the office of mayor and continued him in that position for four years, during which
he gave the city a most businesslike and progressive administration. He studied
its needs and its possibilities, seeking to obviate the former and develop the latter




JAMES N. COUNTER



318 HISTORY OF COLORADO

to the benefit of the entire community. Adams county chose him to be its rep-
resentative in the state legislature from 1914 until 1916 and while a member of the
house he gave the most thoughtful, earnest and careful attention to all vital ques-
tions which came up for settlement. He stands for progressiveness in public affairs
just as he does in business life and his entire career has been characterized by steady
advancement, while each forward step has brought him a broader outlook and wider
opportunities.



ISAAC E. McBROOM.



Isaac E. McBroom was a respected citizen of Arapahoe county and when death
called him his loss was deeply felt by his many friends and associates in that section
of the state. He was born in Indiana, April 22, 1830, a son of Joseph and Phoebe
(Young) McBroom, both of whom were natives of Virginia. In early life, however,
tljey removed to Indiana and Mr. McBroom was for many years actively engaged in
farming there.

Isaac E. McBroom spent his youthful days to the age of thirteen years in his
native state and then accompanied his parents on their removal to St. Joseph, Missouri,
where he continued his education, which had been begun in the public schools of
Indiana. In 1850 he removed to Mills county, Iowa, where he settled upon a farm
and there resided until 1860, when he crossed the plains to Denver with that great
tide of emigration that was flowing into the state and reclaiming its vast areas for
the purposes of civilization. He settled upon his widow's present farm, homestead-
ing one hundred and sixty acres which adjoins the present town of Fort Logan, although
the town had not been established at that period. He was one of the pioneer agricul-
turists of the community and contributed to the development and improvement of
his section of the state in large measure. He first built a log cabin and occupied
that dwelling until 1889, when he erected a fine brick residence that is still standing
upon the place — one of the attractive farm homes of the district. As the years passed
he energetically and successfully followed farming and stock raising, both branches
of his business proving profitable. He was thus actively engaged to the lime of
his demise.

In Iowa, in 1854, Mr. McBroom had been married to Miss Emma L. Brower, a native
of Kane county, Illinois, and a daughter of Joseph and Cordelia (Hussy) Brower. both
of whom were natives of the state of New York. They removed westward to Illinois
in the '30s and became residents of Iowa in 1850, at which time they settled upon
a farm, there spending the remainder of their days. Mr. and Mrs. McBroom became
the parents of three children, but the first two died in infancy. The surviving daughter,
Eva, is the wife of Clark Payter and they live upon the farm with her mother. They
have one son, Richard E., who is a high school pupil.

The death of Mr. McBroom occurred on the 17th of October, 1914, when he had
reached the venerable age of eighty-four years, and his remains were interred in
the Littleton cemetery. He was a self-made man, who started out in the business world
empty-handed, but by unfaltering industry and determination he acquired a handsome
fortune and left his family in most comfortable financial circumstances. In politics
he was a very loyal and earnest republican, never faltering in his support of the prin-
ciples of the party. He served upon the town board and upon the school board and at
all times he stood for progress and improvement in his community. He had been loyal
in citizenship, had conducted business interests with ability and success and he laid
down his task in the twilight of the day, when all that he had to do had been nobly
and fully completed.



FRED C. CRAMER.



Fred C. Cramer, possessed of executive ability and qualities of business leadership,
is now at the head of the Denver Powerine Company, of which he purchased the
control on June 2, 1913. This company handles petroleum products and has developed
a business of extensive proportions. Mr. Cramer was born at Saratoga Springs, New
York, February 23, 1864, a son of Boardman J. and Mary E. ("Wright) Cramer, who
were also natives of the Empire state. In the year 1861 they removed westward to
Lawrence, Kansas, and there the father engaged in carpenter work. Later, however,



320 HISTORY OF COLORADO

the family returned to New York, remaining for a year, and tlien removed to Lawrence,
Kansas, where Boardman J. Cramer resided to the time of his death in 1S82. His
widow survived and passed away in Denver in 1911. In their family were five children,
three of whom have passed away, the surviving brother of Fred C. Cramer being
Charles B. Cramer, a former state engineer of Colorado and a well known resident
of Denver.

Fred C. Cramer was the third in order of birth in his father's family. He
attended the schools of Lawrence. Kansas, and afterward spent two years as a student
in the University of Kansas, thus receiving liberal educational privileges. In 1S81 he
established his home at Leadville, Colorado, where he began work in a harness shop at
a wage of twenty-five dollars per month, and board. He left that position in March,
1882, and traveled through various sections of Idaho, remaining for a time at Boise
and there fitting out for a prospecting trip through the Wood River district. He re-
mained in that state until 1885, when he came to Denver, en route to Rochester, New
York, where tor three years he was employed as a dry goods clerk and also in a flour
mill. In 1888, however, he again came to the west, making his way to Breckenridge,
Colorado, where he engaged in mining and civil engineering on his own account. He
maintained his home at Breckenridge until 191?. and, in addition to his other activities
there, engaged in practice as a civil and mining engineer, maintaining an office for that
work in Cripple Creek from 1891 until 1893. In 1913 he disposed of his interests at
Breckenridge and returned to Denver, where as stated he purchased the controlling
interest of the Denver Powerine Company, of which he has since been the president.
This company handles all kinds of high class petroleum products and maintains various
oil filling automobile stations which are the pride of Denver. These are situated in
various parts of the city and the one located at Fourteenth and Tremont streets is
as fine as can be found in the entire west. Mr. Cramer is also the president of the
Midnight Oil Company, operating in Colorado and Wyoming. His business interests
are thus extensive and important and substantial success is rewarding his labors.

On the 17th of June, 1890, Mr. Cramer was married to Miss Louise E. Brooks, of
Leadville, Colorado, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brooks, pioneer people of that
city. Her father is still living, now making his home at Seattle. Washington. Mr.
and Mrs. Cramer have two children: George B., born in Breckenridge, August 6, 1891;
and Harold F., born in Denver, August 20, 1897. Harold F. Cramer was educated in
the East Denver high school, with a year's study at Golden, and is now a member of
the United States army, serving with Company G, of the Twenty-ninth Colorado
Engineers, which is attached to the Rainbow Division, that in the drives of 1918 has
covered itself with undying credit and honor. George B. Cramer is married, having
wedded Miss Hazel E. Anderson, and is in the United States Tank service at Camp
Colt, Pennsylvania.

In politics Mr. Cramer maintains an independent course, but has been affiliated
with the democratic party for twenty-five years. While living in Breckenridge he
served as treasurer of the town tor several years, making a most creditable record In
that position. Fraternally he is a Mason, having membership in the blue lodge, and
he belongs to the Kiwanis Club, also to the Denver Motor Club and to the Denver Civic
and Commercial Association. He stands for all that has to do with the progress,
development, upbuilding and improvement of the city and state and his lite typifies
the progressive spirit of the west, leading to its rapid and substantial advancement.



JOHN McINNES.



John Mclnnes is one of the well known residents of Boulder, who after long and
prominent connection with business affairs is now living retired, although he still acts
as vice president of the First National Bank of Boulder, to which position he was
called in 1902. He was born in Ontario, Canada, February 1, 1840. His fatlier, Donald
Mclnnes, a native of Scotland, was born in the year 1792 and crossed the Atlantic to
Canada in 1817. He was married in Ontario to Margaret McRae and died in the year
1851, while his wife passed away in 1850.

John Mclnnes was therefore a little lad of but eleven years when left an orphan.
He was reared in Ontario and acquired a common school education, after which he
took up the profession of teaching, which he followed through two winter seasons in
Ontario, and in 1862 he came to the United States, making his way to the copper
mining country on Lake Superior. There he resided tor four years, being connected
with a mining company In above-ground work. At the close of the Civil war he re-



HISTORY OF COLORADO 321

moved to Green Bay, Michigan, wliere he resided for thirty-one years and during
that period was actively and extensively engaged in the lumber business. Attracted
by the opportunities of the west, he arrived in Boulder, Colorado, in 1898 and through
the succeeding period of twenty years has been a resident of this city. In 1902 he was
called to the oflice of vice president of the First National Bank of Boulder and has
since occupied that position but is now practically living retired. He was connected
with copper mining, in which he won a notable measure of success. In all business
affairs he has displayed keen sagacity which has resulted in judicious investment,
and indefatigable energy and unfaltering perseverance have also been features of his
business career, placing him in his present position as one of the prosperous residents
of Boulder.

In December, 1S97, in Michigan, Mr. Mclnnes was united in marriage to Miss
Georgina C. Helps and to them have been born two sons and a daughter: Donald,
Gertrude and Gordon. The family home, which is one of the finest in Boulder, was
built about 1904. The religious faith of Mr. and Mrs. Mclnnes is that of the Presby-
terian church, while socially he is connected with the Boulder Club and in his political
views is a republican. He displays many of the sterling characteristics of the people
who come from the land of the crag and glen, of mountain peak and mountain lake,
of lowland heath and plain — the land of liberty, poetry and song, of religious and
educational zeal, the home of Wallace and Bruce, of Scott and Burns, the land whose
heroes have honored Britain's flag on every field from Waterloo to the Crimea and
Lucknow, on to the great battlefields of the World war. Scotland has been the ances-
tral home of many of America's brightest, best and most capable men. It is from that
land that Mr. Mclnnes traces his lineage, and the determined purpose which has ever
marked the Scotch people has been one of the strong and salient forces in his honor-
able and prosperous career.



ROBERT A. CHACE.



Robert A. Chace, who owns and operates a ranch on section S, in Morgan county,
adjoining the town of Fort Morgan, and makes a specialty of the raising of Percheron
horses, Galloway cattle and Poland China hogs, has been very successful in the con-
duct of his business affairs. The reason is not far to seek. He has always regarded
Industry as the basis of honorable success and industry has therefore constituted the
foundation on which he has builded his prosperity. Mr. Cliace comes to Colorado from
Illinois. He was born in Ottawa, that state, on the 22d of August, 1857, a son of
Edward and Elizabeth (Lewis) Chace, the former a native of Massachusetts and the
latter of Pennsylvania. The father, a farmer by occupation, removed westward to
Lasalle county, Illinois, at an early period in the development of that region, settling
there about 1832. The work of improvement had scarcely been begun in that district,
for it was in that year that the Black Hawk war occurred and decided the question
of the supremacy of the Indians in Illinois, the white settlers demonstrating their
right to rule over the land and utilize it for the purposes of civilization. The father
purchased and improved land, which he continued to cultivate throughout his remain-
ing days, his death there occurring on the 11th of April, 1875. His widow survived for
many years, passing away at the home of her son, Robert A., on the 30th of July, 1900.

Robert A. Chace was reared and educated in Lasalle and Livingston counties of
Illinois, remaining with his parents after completing his education and cultivating the
old homestead farm in Livingston county until the spring of 1888, when he removed to
Arapahoe county. Colorado, where he took up a homestead eighty miles east of Denver.
This he continued to develop for five years, proving up on the claim in 1893. He
afterward sold that property and bought a farm in Morgan county, a mile south of
Fort Morgan. This he also developed and improved, continuing the cultivation of
that land until 1899, when he purchased his present place of one hundred and sixty
acres. Later he bought an additional tract of one hundred and sixty acres across the
road and has further invested in land as his financial resources increased until his
holdings now aggregate five thousand acres in Morgan county, farming, however, only
a section of this. In all of his undertakings he has been quite successful and has
become widely known as a leading stock raiser, making a specialty of Percheron horses,
Galloway cattle and Poland China hogs, and his business in that direction has
brought to hira substantial profits. He is also a director of the First National Bank of
Fort Morgan, in which connection he has remained for many years. He has ever
stood for progress and improvement along all lines leading to" general benefit and



322 HISTORY OF COLORADO

upbuilding throughout the state. He was largely instrumental in securing the location
of the sugar factory at Fort Morgan and he now has been a director of the National
Western Stock Show of Denver for several years and also an exhibitor from its be-
ginning. He has been prominently associated with Irrigation interests, being con-
nected with various ditch boards and serving at one time on fourteen different boards.
His close study of every problem connected with irrigation has made his judgment
in that regard very valuable and his cooperation has done much to enhance land
values in the state through the development of its irrigation Interests.

On the 13th of September, 1882, Mr. Chace was married to Miss Alice Everett, a
daughter of Alfred E. and Susan J. (Bowers) Everett, the former a native of Frances-
town, New Hampshire, while the latter was born in Chester, Ohio. Her father followed
farming throughout his entire business career, residing most of that period in Livings-
ton county, Illinois, where Mrs. Chace was born. He was one of the first settlers there
and was closely associated with its agricultural interests to the time of his death,
which occurred in November, 1875. For more than three years he had survived his
wife, who passed away in March, 1872. To Mr. and Mrs. Chace have been born seven
children: Alfred, who was born in August, 1SS6, and is now at Camp Grant, Illinois;
Reno E., who is operating the Chace & Sons ranches in Wyoming, comprising thirty
thousand acres of land, on which they run sheep and cattle — an important project
for one of his years, for he was born in October, 1887; Myra, who was born in August,
1890, and is the wife of Professor R. J. Hale, of Fort Morgan, agricultural teacher in
the public schools and also having charge of extension work for the State College;
Willard, who was born November 12, 1S97, and is at home; Ida, who died In November,
1898, when but eighteen days old; one child, who died in infancy; and Cora, who died
in November, 1899, at the age of four and a half years.

Politically Mr. Chace is a republican and in 1896 was nominated on the party ticket
for the office of state legislator but was defeated. His religious faith is that of the
Presbyterian church. He has done splendid work on behalf of public progress and
improvement, especially in connection with the development of the natural resources
of Colorado. His labors have been an effective force in stimulating ambition and a
desire for progress and improvement on the part of others, especially in connection
with the National Western Stock Show of Denver.



JOHN W. ROBB.

John W. Robb is the owner of an excellent property in eastern Jefferson county,
now in the suburb of Lakewood, and his land is devoted to farming and fruit growing.
Although he once owned many acres he now has sold all but ten, for Mr. Robb has
reached the eightieth milestone on life's journey. He was born at Vernon, Jennings
county, Indiana, of Scottish parentage, on the 15th of July, 1838. The public schools
afforded him his educational opportunities and in his youthful days he worked in his
father's woolen factory until he reached the age of seventeen. In 1855 the family
removed to Walshville, Montgomery county, Illinois, after which John W. Robb left
home at the age of twenty-one years and traveled through Missouri and Kansas. In
Kansas City he secured a position in the Bullard machine shops, which were devoted
to the making of quartz mills for the mines. In April, 1860, accompanied by two
of his brothers, he started for Pike's Peak and on the 15th of May arrived in Denver,
from which point he proceeded to Central City. He engaged in prospecting and mining
and later he assisted in building a ditch from the Fall river to Nevada City. He
was also one of the promoters in organizing the Empire and Union mining districts.
In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company K of the First Colorado Cavalry and
served for four months. He then enlisted in Company H, Curtis' Horse Regiment, at
Peru, Nebraska, and was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. The name of the
organization was changed to the Fifth Iowa Cavalry and they went directly into active
service. At the battle of Franklin, on Dick river, in 1864, and while on picket duty
at night, Mr. Robb was captured, stripped of his uniform and marched to the Fort
Columbia stockade in Tennessee. Thence he was transferred to Montgomery, Ala-
bama, and afterward to Thomasville, Georgia, from which point he was taken to Selma,
Alabama, and afterward to Meridian, Mississippi, while finally he was sent to Ander-
sonville. Georgia, having marched seven hundred miles barefooted and suffering all
the miseries and tortures of prison life. Once he made his escape from his captors
but after a chase of nine days was recaptured. On the approach of Union forces he
was paroled and returned to his command at Nashville, Tennessee.




JOHN W. ROBB



324 HISTORY OF COLORADO

With the close of the war Mr. Robb returned to Colorado to find that his agent,
in whose care he had placed his interests had made his escape and the property,
amounting to thirty-eight thousand dollars, had been sold, regardless of the act of
congress giving a soldier a year to return to his mines. Mr. Robb was therefore
obliged to begin life anew but soon became a victim to mountain fever and was forced
to go into the valley.

It was then that Mr. Robb located four miles west of Denver, on the West Colfax
road, in Jefferson county. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and for
many years devoted his time and energies to general agricultural pursuits and fruit
raising. He brought the land under a high state of development and improvement
and it is today one of the excellent properties of this section of the state. During the
intervening years, however, he has sold all but ten acres which now constitutes his home
place, where he lives with his daughter Martha, his wife having passed away two
years ago.

In his political views Mr. Robb is a republican and has ever been a stalwart sup-
porter of the party which was the defense of the Union during the dark days of the
Civil war and has always been a party of reform and progress. He is a member of the
Society of Colorado Pioneers and maintains pleasant relations with his old military
comrades as a member of A. Lincoln Post. No. 4, G. A. R. He was one of six brothers
who served in the Union army and is the sole survivor. His has indeed been an
active and useful life, and he can look back over the past without regret and forward
to the future without fear.



CHARLES EMERSON.



Charles Emerson, who passed away in Denver, August 23, 1S96, at the advanced
age of eighty-one years, was born in Marietta, Ohio, August 6, 1815, his parents being
Caleb and Mary (Dana) Emerson. The father was a lawyer and newspaper pub-
lisher of Marietta, Ohio. The ancestors came to America between 1640 and 1700.
They were mostly English, with a slight French strain, and members of the family
through succeeding generations have been lawyers, farmers and preachers.

Charles Emerson attended the schools of Marietta, Ohio, in which city he was
reared, and also spent a year or more as a student in Oberlin College before entering
the University of Cincinnati for the study of medicine. Between courses of study he
taught school. He also served an apprenticeship with a practicing physician, a course
that was often followed by medical students at that time. In his early twenties he
settled in Van Wert, Ohio, where he practiced medicine until about thirty-seven
years of age. He afterward entered the banking business, establishing a private bank
In Van Wert in connection with a Mr. Wells of that place. The bank was nationalized
as the First National Bank of Van Wert in 1861 with Mr. Emerson as president and
Its active executive head, and he remained in active connection therewith until 1870.
when he removed to Greeley, Colorado, and there entered a private banking firm
as an inactive partner. He sold his Ohip Interests in 1876. settling permanently in
this state, and with C. G. Buckingham, of Boulder, Colorado, founded the bank of
Emerson & Buckingham, of Longmont, Colorado, but was never active in the work
of the bank, which is one of the oldest moneyed institutions in the state and is still
in existence, though recently it has been nationalized under another name. Mr. Emer-
son soon parted svith his interest in the bank, as did Mr. Buckingham, to Charles
Day and Walter Buckingham. He afterward engaged extensively in real estate oper-
ations and irrigation enterprises and at one time owned ten thousand acres of land
in Colorado. He was the largest stockholder and the first president of the Platte and
Beaver Improvement Company, which built The Upper Platte and Beaver Canal and
The Lower Platte and Beaver Canal of Morgan county, Colorado, bringing under irri-
gation over thirty thousand acres of land in the eastern part of that county. He also
engaged in the cattle business and after selling his Greeley interests removed to Denver
in 1S85, there spending his remaining days, his death occurring August 23, 1S96.

On the Sth of May, 1842, Mr. Emerson was married to Margaret (Bangman)
Grier. who died in 1869, and on the 15th of March, 1873. he wedded Mrs. Kate (Hill)
Atkinson, a widow, the latter a daughter of Richard and Mary (Richings) Hill, the
former an export merchant oi Birmingham, England, where Mrs. Emerson was born
March 10, 1835, dying in Denver, June 10, 1908. Mr. Emerson's children, born of his
first marriage, were Elizabeth E. Marble, Mary Buckingham and Margaret E. Smith,
but the last named is the only one now living. The children of the second marriage



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 108)