326 HISTORY OF COLORADO
are: Charles William and George Dana, both of whom are married; and Rose Hill,
the wife of Stanley V. Hamly, of Denver.
Mr. Emerson was not a party man but was inclined to single tax ideas. He served
as the first local treasurer of Union colony of Greeley, occupying the office for six years.
While he made valuable contribution to the development and progress of the state, it
was not as an office holder but in the advancement of his individual interests, which
were ever of a character that constlJ.ute(Lan important element in the upbuilding of the
districts in which he operated.
HENRY P. MANHART.
Henry P. Manhart, county and state road contractor, who has done important
public work especially in bridge building, makes his home at Castle Rock. He was
born in Douglas county, Colorado, April 15, 1870, a son of Christ and Sarah (Varney)
Manhart, both of whom are natives of Pennsylvania and came to Colorado in 1860.
They are now residents of Sedalia.
Henry P. Manhart acquired a common school education while spending his youth-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ful days upon his father's farm. He was also trained in the work of the fields and
after his textbooks were put aside he assumed the management of the home ranch,
which he continued to further develop and cultivate until 1902, when he established a
market at Sedalia, continuing in business there for four years. On the expiration of
that period he removed tO Pierce, Colorado, where he engaged in the implement busi-
ness for two years, and later he took up his abode at Larkspur, Colorado, where he
carried on mercantile interests for two and a half years. Since that date he has been
engaged in contract work in road iaiid bridge construction, both for the county and
state, in Douglas county. He does practically all of the bridge construction work in
his county and keeps busy throughout the year a large force of workmen. He
thoroughly understands the- scientific principles of bridge building as well as the
practical phases of the work and the results of his labors are highly satisfactory to
In 1898 Mr. Manhart was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Lowell, who was bom
in Maine but was reared in Sedalia, Colorado. They have one child, Bessie F., born
December 21, 1900, now a high school graduate who expects soon to enter Colorado
College with a two years' scholarship in recognition of the highest standing in her
class. Mr. Manhart is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being
identified with Lodge No. 142 at Sedalia. He is leading a busy and useful life. There
are no esoteric phases in his career, his entire course being characterized by industry
and enterprise, leading to the wise use of his opportunities, and his work has ever
been of a character that has contributed to public progress and welfare.
James Cowie is a business man of discernment and marked enterprise whose
attention is now largely given to the supervision of his invested interests, which
include much property in Boulder, where he -makes his home. He was born in For-
farshire, Scotland, in 1855, a son of William Cowie, who was born in 1800 and passed
away in the land of hills and heather in the year 1866.
James Cowie obtained his education in the schools of his native country and in
1872, when a youth of seventeen years, bade adieu to friends and native land and
sailed for the new world. He took up his abode in Syracuse, New York, where he
remained for five years, being there engaged in clerking. In 1877 he came to Boulder
county, Colorado, where he turned his attention to mining, concentrating his efforts
upon mining activities for twelve years, during which time. he was connected with
the famous Caribou mine as mill assayer and assistant superintendent. This was a
position of large responsibility, the duties of which, however, he most capably dis-
charged. In 1S89 he w^as elected clerk of Boulder county and by reelection was
continued in that office for four years. For ten years, beginning in 1S97, he served on
the Boulder school board and long before the expiration of that term of office he was
called to higher political honors. It was in 1902 that he was made the nominee of the
republican party for the oflSce of secretary of state and endorsement of his first term's
service came to him In reelection, so that he was the incumbent in that position for
HISTORY OF COLORADO 327
four years. He was again called to a position of public trust in 1905, when he was
chosen mayor of Boulder for a two years' term, during which he gave to the city a
businesslike and progressive administration characterized by various needed reforms
and improvements. He has never ceased to feel the keenest interest in politics but
Is not active as an office holder at the present time. His attention is concentrated, in
as far as he gives his time to business affairs, upon the interests of the Boulder
Building & Loan Association, of which he has been the president for a quarter of a
In January, 1881, In the city of Boulder, Mr. Cowie was united in marriage to Miss
Irene Beckett Reed, a daughter of the late James Reed and a native of Iowa. To them
have been born three daughters: Irene Jane, now deceased; Isabel C, who is the wife
of Floyd Redding, a well known architect of Denver; and Josephine R., who is the
wife of Bailey H. Dunlap, living in La Feria, Texas.
Mr. Cowie is well known as a representative of the Masonic fraternity in Boulder,
having attained the Knight Templar degree, while with the Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine he has crossed the sands of the desert. He is also identified with the Knights
of Pythias and with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He stands for all those
things which have progressive worth in the life of the individual and of the community
and his career is an illustration of the fact that the path of opportunity is open to
all. Without special advantages at the outset of his career, his equipment being that
of a common school education, he started in the business world and step by step has
worked his way steadily upward. Watchful of all opportunities pointing to success,
he has wisely utilized the chances which have come to him and his keen sagacity has
enabled him to understand the right time for real estate investment. Accordingly he
has added to his holdings as the years have passed on, until his property interests
now return to him a most gratifying income.
WILLIAM M. GRAVES.
Among the successful business men of Arvada, Jefferson county, was numbered
William M. Graves, who there profitably conducted a blacksmith shop which was also
fitted with feed grinders, planing mill, turning lathe and other machinery along
similar lines. Moreover, he operated threshing machines and from this source derived
a gratifying addition to his income. He was among the pioneers of his district and
during the long period of his residence in Jefferson county he made many friends, in
business as well as in private life. All were agreed upon his high qualities of charac-
ter, his sound business principles and his value as a public-spirited citizen.
William M. Graves was born near Bloomington, Illinois, August 12, 1846, the eldest
of five children born to Oliver and Lucy (Story) Graves. The other members of the
family are: John, who is farming near Broomfield, Colorado: Mary, the wife of E.
Porter Smith, who follows the same line of work near Broomfield; Edward, a mining
man, who makes his home in Denver: and Harry, a merchant of Broomfield. Oliver
Graves, who was one of the California Argonauts, was a native of the Green Mountain
state, being born in Montpelier, March 13, 1813. His youthful days were spent in
the city of his birth but after his marriage a removal was made to New York state,
where the family home was maintained for several years. The opportunity of attain-
ing more readily to fortune and independence in the farther west decided him to
remove to Illinois, where in the city of Bloomington he established a wholesale and
retail grocery business which he conducted tor four years, at the end of which time
he embarked in agricultural pursuits. The world-stirring news of the rich gold dis-
coveries in California in the year 1849 induced him, however, to seek out the gold
fields and court fortune to grant him a rich stake. He started across the plains and
amid dangers from Indians and other sources he pursued his way until at last he
reached his destination. His journey was filled with thrilling incidents, and while
he himsflf did not arouse the enmity of the red men, he witnessed many harrowing
scenes. One ot these was the skinning of a white man alive by the Indians as a
revenge for shooting an Indian squaw. Such terrible scenes he was forced to witness
and it was therefore with gratitude in his heart that he finally reached his destination
unscathed. In his mining operations he was more successful than most of those
who sought fortunes in California and after two years of arduous labor he returned
home with his father-in-law. Palmer Story, bringing a considerable sum of money
with him. During the Pike's Peak excitement of 1859 Mr. Graves was attracted to
Colorado and engaged in mining at Spring Gulch. In 1860 he again returned to Illinois
328 HISTORY OF COLORADO
in order to take his family west and they settled twelve miles from Blackhawk, where
he bought a toll road from Golden Gate, twelve miles up into the mountains. He was
however, unable to hold it and in 1S62 he removed to Arvada, where he had taken up
a ranch claim in January. 1861. Here he settled, devoting the balance of his life
to agricultural pursuits and acquiring a gratifying competence. His death occurred
May 4, 1896, when he was in his eighty-fourth year.
William M. Graves was reared in Illinois and there received his early education.
When about fourteen years of age he came with the family to Colorado and at the age
of seventeen he was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade in Golden Gate with Ashley
Howard. He thus continued for eighteen months, when he removed to Denver, con-
tinuing to work along the same line under Ansel Barker, who had a shop on the
present site of Brown Brothers' wholesale grocery. While in Denver six lots were
offered him on that site for three hundred and fifty dollars but he refused to buy
them. For two years he remained with Ansel Barker, but then his father's illness
caused him to give up his work there and he returned home in order to take charge
of the farm. He had bought a thresher in the fall of 1868 and about three years later
took up the threshing business in a regular way, becoming quite successful along
this line and operating three steam threshers, which were kept busy day after day
during the season. He also built a blacksmith's shop in Arvada and in connection
with this business, which grew to gratifying proportions, he had a shop fitted up with
feed grinders, planing mill, turning lathe, band saw and other machinery to do
special work for the surrounding farmers, saving them thereby delay and trouble.
All his enterprises were managed ably and as the years passed he prospered. He also
continued in the operation of the home farm, which he brought to a high state of
productiveness, installing modern machinery and facilities upon the place. He was
thoroughly well versed in agricultural subjects, knew which crops were the most profit-
able and studied soil conditions, climate, moisture problems, etc., following scientific
principles in the operation of his land.
On January 14, 1S6S, the marriage of William M. Graves and Miss Elizabeth Perrin
was celebrated. To them eleven children were horn, three of whom died in infancy.
The others are: Ollie; Charles; Ruth; Annie; Robert; Louise; Nellie; and Ida, who
has passed away. The family enjoy the high regard of the community in which they
live and are honored as pioneers of the section.
In his political affiliations Mr. Graves was a republican and faithfully supported
the measures and candidates of that party. The public welfare found in him a stanch
friend and he supported many movements undertaken for the benefit of Jefferson
county, having in 1892 been elected county commissioner on the republican ticket
and, being reelected, served two terms in that capacity. His reelection stood as in-
controvertible proof of his popularity and ability and his unselfish aims in serving
the county turned out to its benefit. In his official capacity he promoted and supported
projects and improvements which greatly developed the district. The cause of educa-
tion also was always close to the heart of Mr. Graves and for fifteen years he was
school director of his district. As a public-spirited and patriotic American citizen
he proved an invaluable factor in planting the seeds of civilization in the wilds of
the west and his county and town have been bettered through his activities.
JOHN R. HOPKINS, M. D.
Dr. John R. Hopkins, a physician and surgeon of Denver, was born at Stony
Creek, Ontario, Canada, January 30, 1871, a son of Silas and Katherine (Agnew)
Hopkins. The mother was born in the north of Ireland but in early life went to
Canada, where she was married. The father was a native of that country and engaged
extensively in fruit raising, becoming one of the prominent orchardists near Ham-
ilton, Ontario, where he passed away in 1888. His wife survived him for a coiisidr
erable period, dying in 1912. They had a family of six children, four of whom ara
living: Dr. William B. Hopkins, a prominent physician and surgeon of Hamilton,
Ontario; Dr. Marshall W. Hopkins, living at Edmonton, Canada; and Edward, of
The other surviving member of the family is Dr. Hopkins, of Denver, who attended
school in Hamilton and afterward entered the University of Toronto, where he pur-
sued his medical course and was graduated in 1893. He later attended lectures for
post graduate work in London hospitals and at Edinburgh in the Royal College of
Physicians and Surgeons and in other clinics and hospitals in Great Britain. He
DR. JOHN R. HOPKINS
330 HISTORY OF COLORADO
devoted some time each year to post graduate work for fourteen years and was a student
at the clinics of the Drs. Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota. In 1907 he began going
abroad for post graduate study in Vienna, Berlin, Paris and other European centers.
In fact, he has put forth every possible effort to promote his knowledge and thereby
increase his efficiency in professional work. He entered upon active practice at the
age of twenty-two years and after following his profession in Canada until 1900 came
to Denver, where he opened an office, and through the intervening period has won
a place among the most eminent surgeons of the state. For fourteen years he has
been one of two chief surgeons on the staff of St. Anthony's Hospital in Denver. He
belongs to the Denver City and County Medical Society, the Colorado State Medical
Society and the American Medical Association, is a life member of the Surgeons
Club of Rochester, Minnesota, a member of the Anglo-American Medical Association
of Berlin, and the American Medical Association of Vienna.
In 1895 Dr. Hopkins was united in marriage to Miss Lottie Sherk, of Ridgeway,
Ontario, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Sherk, who are prominent people of that
place. Dr. and Mrs. Hopkins have two children: Hazel, bojn in Canada, October 1,
1896, and a graduate of Colorado College of the class of 1918; and Hugh, who was^
born in Canada, November 1, 1899, and is now a sophomore in the University of
In politics Dr. Hopkins maintains an independent course but stands for that
which is progressive in citizenship and loyally adheres to all plans and measures
for the general good. His religious faith is that of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal
church. He holds to the highest professional ideals and standards and has put forth
every possible effort to majrif' his service of greatest worth in the world, realizing
fully the responsibilities and .obligations that devolve upon the physician and surgeon.
Few men have given so much time to study, investigation and research and his
broad learning places him in 'the front rank of the eminent members of the pro-
fession in Colorado.
HON. CHARLES E. CROSSWHITE.
Many are the interests which Hon. Charles E. Crosswhite represents In his
district and state, and it must be conceded that in whatever line Mr. Crosswhite has
been active he has been successful. Foremost with him have always been his agri-
cultural interests, along which line he has become a leader, being now owner of a
very valuable property. However, he is also connected with transportation and mer-
cantile companies and, moreover, has large dairy interests thus augmenting his income
from many lines. This, however, does not yet exhaust the variety of duties which he
has taken upon his shoulders, for Mr. Crosswhite is also an able and energetic repre-
sentative of his district in the Colorado state legislature.
Charles E. Crosswhite was born in Gentry county. Missouri, a son of Alexander .
D. and Lucy (Wright) Crosswhite, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively.
The father was at different periods in various walks of life, being not only a successful
teacher and lawyer but having also taken up mercantile and farming lines with good
financial results. C. E. Crosswhite is a high school graduate and subsequently attended
the Central Christian College at Albany, Missouri. The year 1896 marked his arrival
in Colorado and more specifically in Cherry, Douglas county, where he secured a
position with D. R. Williams, who was engaged in the dairy, creamery and mercan-
tile business. It took Mr. Crosswhite but a few months to demonstrate to his employer
his ability and in 1897 Mr. Williams gave to the energetic young man complete man-
agement of the creamery and cheese factory. Thus Mr. Crosswhite became an expert
cheese maker and his enterprise along that line may be estimated from the fact
that he was the first to introduce the Babcock test in Douglas county.
In 1901 Mr. Crosswhite married Miss Annie B. Williams, a daughter of D. R. and
Alvera 0. (Pond) Williams, natives of Massachusetts. Her father was numbered
among the early pioneers of Douglas county, of which he became a large landowner
and one of the leading citizens. In many ways he promoted progress and develop-
ment, giving valuable aid to movements which had for their purpose material as well
as moral or intellectual growth. For three terms he efficiently served as county com-
missioner and it was he who owned and operated the first cheese factory in the state
of Colorado, known as Factory No. 1. In 1909 Mr. and Mrs. Crosswhite removed to
Oklahoma and there they made their home until 1912 in Custer county. There he
was not only prominently connected with agricultural interests, giving particular
HON. CHARLES E. CROSSWHITE
332 HISTORY OF COLORADO
attention to cattle and hogs, but also served as township trustee in 1912. The return
to Colorado was made in 1913 and he now owns a valuable ranch of seven hundred
and sixty acres near Cherry, Colorado. This is in a high state of cultivation, suitable
buildings to shelter stock and produce having been erected and everything about the
place denoting progressive and energetic management. Moreover, Mr. Crosswhite was
the organizer and is a director of the University Hill Dairy & Produce Company of
Boulder county and in this connection maintains a dairy of fifty head of milch cows,
the enterprise being operated in a most up-to-date and sanitary manner. It is a
modern milk distributing business, and being conducted on sound principles, a sub-
stantial income is derived from this enterprise. Moreover, Mr. Crosswhite is president
of the Cherry Creek Mercantile & Transportation Company,- which operates motor
trucks between Cherry and Denver.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Crosswhite are highly respected and esteemed in their com-
munity. They have become the parents of eight children. William L., Hazel L., Percy
R., Lucy E., David E., Edna M., Edgar W. and Thomas F. The children have been
reared in the atmosphere of a refined Christian home and the best educational oppor-
tunities have been provided for them.
Mr. Crosswhite is a democrat by political persuasion and in 1914 was elected to
the twenty-first general assembly of Colorado and not only took good care of the
interests of his constituents but also gave careful attention to all those measures
which were of general benefit to the state, giving his endorsement to bills which he
considered of value to the greatest number. He was not only active in committee
rooms but upon the floor of the house in order to secure the best advantages for his
district and his term of office was identified with a number of improvements which
resulted through his legislative activity. Fraternally he is a Mason and stands high
in the esteem of his brethren of the craft. Mr. and Mrs. Crosswhite have a large
circle of friends in their neighborhood and are esteemed as people of high accomplish-
ments who have qualities of heart and character which endear them to all who come
in contact with them.
JOHN H. McKAY, M. D.
Dr. John H. McKay is one of the well known physicians and surgeons of Denver
and is conducting a private sanitarium for the treatment of nervous diseases. He was
born in Madison, Mississippi, January 8, 1868, and is a son of John H. and Katherine
(Mathews) McKay. The mother was born in Mississippi and belonged to a prominent
southern family. The father was a native of Kentucky but became a well known and
prominent physician and surgeon of Mississippi, where he engaged in the practice of
his profession for many years, living at Madison and at Carrollton. During the Civil
war he espoused the cause of the Confederacy and enlisted for service in the southern
army, becoming a surgeon with the rank of major. He remained at the front during
the entire period of hostilities. After the war was over he removed to Memphis,
Tennessee, where he continued in the practice of his profession up to the time of his
death, which occurred in 1897. For a long period he has survived his wife, who passed
away in Madison, Mississippi, in 1882. They had a family of four children, of whom
only two are living, the sister being Mrs. T. H. Boswell. of Memphis, Tennessee.
Dr. McKay was the youngest of the family and in his youthful days he attended
the Mississippi Agricultural and Mechanical College, from which he was graduated in
1888. He then entered Tulane University and completed a course in medicine with
the class of 1890. He located for practice in Durant, Mississippi, where he successfully
followed his profession until 1897, when failing health required him to give up his
work there and remove to the west. He devoted two years to recovering his health,
following a thorough system which he marked out and by so doing lie regained his
strength and resumed his practice in Memphis, Tennessee, where he resided for
another period of five years. In 1904, however, he returned to Denver, for during his
sojourn in this state he had come to acknowledge the lure of the west. He bought
property at No. 2839 Colfax avenue, where he established a sanitarium for the treat-
ment of nervous diseases, of which he has made a specialty for the past fifteen years.
He has twenty-five rooms for patients in this institution and every convenience for
their care and comfort. He also enjoys a large outside practice and is one of the
representative and highly respected physicians and surgeons of Colorado. He belongs
to the Denver City and County Medical Society, the Colorado State Medical Society
HISTORY OF COLORADO 333
and the American Medical Association and thus he keeps in close touch with the trend
of modern scientific thought, research and investigation.
On the 22d of December, 1891, Dr. McKay was united in marriage to Miss Beulah
Handy, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Handy, representatives of an old southern
family. They now have one child, Elizabeth McKay, who- was born in Escatawpa,
Mississippi, in 1900, and is now attending the Wolcott School in Denver as a member
of the class of 1918.
In politics Dr. McKay is a democrat. He and his wife hold membership in the
South Broadway Christian church and they are well known socially. In his pro-
fession Dr. McKay has attained high rank. He is most conscientious and faithful
in the performance of his professional duties and is constantly studying to make his
service of greater benefit and worth to his fellowmen. His developed powers have