Glenn and Walter. The family are devout communicants of the Catholic church.
Mr. Aubuchon is a democrat in his political affiliations but has never been an
office seeker, preferring to give his undivided attention to his farming interests.
Fraternally he is a member of Monument Lodge, No. 302, W. O. W., in which organiza-
tion he has many friends. He Is a public-spirited citizen who has proven himself a
valuable addition to the agricultural community of his neighborhood and who has ever
been ready to give his support to measures which have for their purpose general im-
provement and advancement. There is great credit due him for what he has achieved,
for he is a self-made man. Trustworthy and reliable, he has inspired others with
confidence and enjoys the highest regard of all who know him.
CHARLES H. LOWELL.
Charles H. Lowell, living in Sedalia and numbered among the substantial ranchers
of Douglas county, where his birth occurred in 1874, is a son of Charles Abner and
Lydia (Bowman) Lowell, both of whom were natives of Maine and became early
pioneers of Douglas county, where they arrived in the early '70s. They reared a family
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
of six children, of whom Charles H. Lowell is the third in order of birth. His educa-
tion was acquired in the common schools of his native county and he was reared to
ranch life, to which he has always devoted his energies and attention. He is now
actively and successfully engaged in the further development of a large ranch of
twelve hundred acres near Sedalia, which is largely devoted to stock raising and
dairying. It has splendid equipment for these purposes and the business is most
wisely, carefully and successfully directed. The ranch is well improved in every
particular according to the standards of modern farming, in the twentieth century,
and as the result of his close application, unfaltering energy and sound judgment Mr.
Lowell is meeting with notable and gratifying success in his ranching interests.
In 1894 Mr. Lowell was married to Miss Christian MacGregor, who was born in
Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated in a private school in Frankfort, Germany.
Mr. and Mrs. Lowell have become the parents of six children, Jean, Duncan, Josephine,
Dorothy, Godfrey and Harry. Duncan is in the radio branch of the United States
army. He enlisted in the state militia in August, 1916, and served on the Mexican
border with Pershing's expedition into Mexico, after which he entered upon active
service in connection with the recently terminated World war. Jean and Josephine are
both graduates of the high school of Sedalia and are now teachers there. Dorothy
is a student in the high school. The family home has been maintained in Sedalia in
order that the children might have the advantage of the educational opportunities of the
Mr. Lowell is a member of the I. O. 0. F. Lodge, No. 142, of Sedalia, and he also
bas membership with the Woodmen of the World at Castle Rock. His political
HISTORY OF COLORADO 343
allegiance is given to the republican party and he was a candidate for sheriff of
Douglas county in November, 1918. The family attend the Episcopal church and
socially their position is one of prominence.
OTIS A. PIKE.
Otis A. Pike is a substantial and representative merchant of Morrison, Jefferson
county, in which town he was born on the Sth of May, 1877. He has always resided
in Colorado, being a representative of one of the pioneer families of the state. His
parents were Anderson and Hannah (Penton) Pike, the former a native of Indiana,
while the latter was born in Missouri. Removing to Iowa in early life, they were
married there and in 1875 came to Colorado, taking up their abode upon a farm in
Jefferson county. The father was a nephew of Lieutenant Z. M. Pike. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Anderson Pike continued residents of Colorado until called to the home beyond
and here they reared their family of twelve children, nine of whom are living.
Otis A. Pike spent his youthful days in his father's home at Morrison and Jeffer-
son county's public schools afforded him his educational opportunities. He continued
through vacation periods and after his school days were over to assist his father until
he reached his majority and in 1900 he embarked in merchandising, opening a store
in Morrison which he has since conducted, enjoying a growing trade as the years
have passed. The business is carried on under the name of the Pike-Perry Mercantile
Company, with Otis A. Pike as the manager. He concentrates his entire efforts and
attention upon the successful conduct of the business and has ever recognized the fact
that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement.
In 1902 Mr. Pike was united in marriage to Miss Mollie V. Dyer, a native of
Missouri and a daughter of T. J. Dyer. Three children have been born of this marriage,
Esta R., Alberta V. and Genevieve M. The family is well known socially, Mr. and
Mrs. Pike having many friends in this part of the state. Mr. Pike is a member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has filled all of the chairs in the local
lodge. He also has membership with the Woodmen of the World. His political
allegiance is given to the democratic party and in March, 1918, he was appointed post-
master of Morrison, which position he is now filling. He has also served as mayor
of the city for four years, giving to Morrison a businesslike and public-spirited
administration that has resulted greatly to the benefit of the town.
EUGENE E. BURLINGAME.
Eugene E. Burlingame, to whom the development of mining interests in Colorado
offered opportunity for successful business activity, became a resident of the state
during the pioneer epoch in the development of mining interests and at the time of his
death was conducting a profitable business as an assayer of Denver. He was born in
Brownville, Jefferson county. New York, on the 21st of November, 1844, a son of Alvah
and Mary (Waterman) Burlingame, and his life record covered the intervening years
to the 20th of March, 1907, when he passed away in the capital city. His father was a
farmer by occupation. Born in Little Falls, Herkimer county. New York, he was of
English ancestry, his forebears having located in Rhode Island at an early period. The
mother was also a native of Herkimer county. New York, and was of English and
Eugene E. Burlingame attended the public schools of Watertown, New York, and
when seventeen years of age went to New York city, where for five years he was in the
employ of A. K. Eaton, a practical assayer and chemist. There he acquired the training
in the profession which he so successfully followed in Colorado in later years. In
1866, soon after the discovery of silver at Georgetown, he came west to this state and
was appointed territorial assayer by Acting Governor Frank Hall, which appointment
was confirmed by the senate. He located at Georgetown and made his home there and
in Central City during the period of four years in which he held the position. He be-
came interested in silver milling in Boulder county and later he removed to Silver
City, New Mexico, where he operated two silver mills. After three years spent in that
state, however, he returned to Colorado and established his home in Denver, where
he began business as a public assayer, successfully continuing in that line until his
344 HISTORY OF COLORADO
demise. As he prospered he made judicious and extensive investments in real estate
and was the owner of a number of valuable properties.
On the 14th of January, 1874, in Central City, Mr. Burlingame was married to Miss
Alice Hoffman, a native of Illinois, who was educated in Toledo, Ohio. She survives
her husband, now occupying the family residence in Denver. They became the parents
of three children. Fannie, the eldest, is the wife of D. L. Mechling, and has two children,
Alice and Eugene B., the latter now in the United States aviation service and an expert
instructor in the air schools. Walter E. is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Bessie
is the wife of Dr. R. G. Morrison, of Denver, and has two children, Ann and Graham.
Mr. Burlingame was a Mason, having taken the degrees of lodge, chapter and cora-
mandery, and the teachings and precepts of the order dominated his life in all of his
relations with his fellowmen. His career was characterized by the thoroughness of his
undertakings, study and experience gaining him added efficiency in his chosen life work,
while his social qualities won for him the kindly regard of all.
DEWEY WHITNEY STRONG.
Founder and president of the Strong Mercantile Company, of Brighton, Dewey
Whitney Strong is a native of Strongsville, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, his birth occurring
July 28, 1848. His parents were Clark R. and Lydia (Stevens) Strong who, in 1853,
left the Buckeye state and located in Kankakee, Illinois, where the father established
himself in the general merchandising business, and where he resided until his death
a few years later. * The paternal grandfather of our immediate subject, John S. Strong,
was numbered among the early pioneers of northern Ohio, having removed there from
Connecticut, when the Western Reserve was a frontier country. Here he platted and
established the town of Strongsville, in Cuyahoga county, the new settlement being
named in honor of its founder.
Following the death of his father, Dewey W. Strong went to Hillsdale, Michigan,
where he made his home with his brother. Emory M., and where he availed himself
of the opportunities for an education, afforded by the excellent public schools of the
flourishing little city. He afterwards became a student in Oberlin College, at Oberlin,
Ohio, an institution ranking high in educational work, and one which has proven a
powerful factor in shaping the minds, and moulding the characters, of the boys and
girls who came within the sphere of its influence and guidance, particularly so in the
earlier years, when such institutions of advanced study were few and far between in
the growing west. After spending two years at Oberlin, Mr. Strong took up the pro-
fession of teaching, devoting his attention to this line of work, in the public schools of
northern Indiana, for about two years. He then turned his attention to the insurance
business, and for the ensuing two years, ^\•ns located at Geneva, Ashtabula county,
In 1869, he decided to go still farther' west, and removed to Burlington, Kane
county, Illinois, where he associated himself with one of the early merchants of the
town, as clerk and assistant in a general store, and there he remained for a number
of years. It was during his period of residence in Burlington, that he was united in
marriage with Miss Nancy C. Roseborough, a resident there.
Failing health induced him to seek a different climate, and in May, 1873, he arrived
in Colorado. After spending about a year in Denver, and in the mountains, he located
a homestead in Weld county, upon which he resided for seven years. He greatly im-
proved the property and in addition to general ranching, established and conducted an
extensive and profitable dairying business. He also took an active interest in the
development of the Fulton irrigation project.
In 1882, Mr. Strong removed to Brighton where he established himself in the
general merchandising business. About two years later, J. C. Twombly acquired a
partnership interest and the business was conducted under the firm name of Strong
& Twombly. A dairying business was also conducted by them for many years. The
firm name was later changed to The Strong-Twombly Mercantile Company and. again,
still later, to The Strong Mercantile Company, under which title the business is now
conducted. During all the years of its existence, under whichever name it may have
been conducted, Mr. Strong has served as president and general manager, and it is not
amiss to say that under his careful guidance the material success of the enterprise
has been of a substantial character, while at the same time, the policy of the organiza-
tion has been a potent factor in the industrial and general business development of
Brighton and the surrounding community.
DEWEY W. STRONG
346 HISTORY OF COLORADO
To Mr. and Mrs. Strong has been born a son, Arthur James, who is associatea
with his father, and has taken upon himself a large share of the responsibilities and
care of the management of the business. He wedded Miss Daisy Irene Potter, and
they have one child, a son, Sheldon Arthur. Mr. and Mrs. Strong, also have an
adopted daughter, Myrta Mae, who married Edwin C. Potter, and they have one
daughter, Mae Edwina. Mr. Potter responded to the call of his country, by enlisting
in May, 1917, and is now in active service in France where he has won promotion to
the rank of quartermaster sergeant.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church,. in the welfare
of which both take an active part. For many years, Mr. Strong has served as elder
and trustee, and he served for twenty-six consecutive years as superintendent of the
Sunday school. Mr. Strong is a charter member ot Brighton Lodge, No. 78, A. F. &
A. M., and in which he is a past master. His political allegiance is with the republi-
can party, and while not seeking office, he has served the community as postmaster,
mayor, also as a member of the board of town trustees, taking a natural interest in,
and being ready to do all in his power to promote, the welfare of the community in
which he has so long resided, and where he has long been regarded as an upright,
representative citizen of sterling worth and character.
GIDEON C. PRATT.
Gideon C. Pratt, deceased, was for many years a representative and highly respected
farmer of Douglas county, living on section 1. township 10, range 66 west. He was
born near the village of Goshen, Orange county. New York, June 8. 1834, and passed
away in 1902. He was a son of Alanson E. and Sarali (Noble) Pratt. The father was
a merchant of Elmira. New York, and in 1853 removed westward to Muscatine, Iowa,
where he purchased a large tract of land. Later he again engaged in mercantile pursuits
and in 1867 he removed to Colorado Springs, Colorado. His last days were passed at
Sedalia. Missouri, where his death occurred in 1893.
Gideon C. Pratt acquired an academic education and after his textbooks were put
aside secured a clerkship in the store ot David A. Tuttle, of Elmira. New York, at a
salary of fifty dollars per year, thus making his initial step in the commercial world. At
the age of nineteen, he removed with his father to Iowa and in 1862 went to Council
Bluffs, that state. From there he traveled by coacli to Denver, Colorado, a trip that
consumed six weeks. He afterward engaged in clerking in the bank of O. D. Cass &
Company and in 1862 was sent across the range to collect a large bill. He was obliged to
travel nights in order to take advantage of the crusts which then formed over the
snow. He collected the full amount of the bill in gold dust and returned it safely to
his employers. Later he was transferred to the branch office at Central City, where he
continued to do collecting for some time. In 1867, however, he became interested in
a sawmill on the divide, in Douglas county, and in 1869 he invested in seven hundred
and twenty acres of land. He was thereafter closely, prominently and successfully
engaged in farming, converting his land into rich and productive fields.
On the 10th of November, 1858, Mr. Pratt was united in marriage to Miss Lydia M.
Cass, a daughter of the Rev. M. G. and Sophia (Putnam) Cass, the former a minister
of the Presbyterian church. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Pratt. Harry C,
the eldest, died on the I9th of March, 1875. Lillie S., to whom we are indebted for
the facts concerning her father, was married on the 8th of September, 1910, to Charles
S. Heimann. of Evansville. Indiana, a graduate of the Kent College of Law at Chicago,
who was practicing his profession at Castle Rock prior to his death, which occurred May
23, 1911. Nellie S. married D. J. Skinner at Spring Valley, Colorado, on the 13th of
July, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Skinner now reside at Fruita, Colorado, where the former is
superintendent of the waterworks. To him and his wife have been born eight children,
as follows: Emma S., the wife of Joseph Cline, of Del Norte, Colorado, by whom she
has two children, Eugene and Joseph; May, the wife of Edward Freemyer. of Nampa,
Idaho, by whom she has one child, June; Pearl, who gave her hand in marriage to
Leonard Stewart, cashier of the First National Bank of Fruita, Colorado: Mabel C.
the wife of Clarence Jeffries, a general merchant of Meeker, Colorado: Elmer, who was
a member of Company M, Three Hundred and Sixty-second Infantry, was later trans-
ferred to Company H. One Hundred and Ninth Infantry, was wounded in September,
1918. was then returned to America and is now in a convalescent hospital; Myrtle, who
is a telegraph operator living with her parents at Fruita. Colorado; Guy, who is in
Washington; and Dalton, who is twelve years of age and is attending school.
348 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Oscar D., the fourth member of the family of Mr. and Mrs. Pratt, was called to his
final rest on the 22d of January, 1886. Helen M. passed away August 15, 1894. Gideon
C, Jr., died December 13, 1S98. Amy R. was called to the home beyond on the 22d of
March, 1S78. Agnes L. was married in 1912 to Mark S. Harris, of Castle Rock, Colo-
rado, a printer by trade, who died October 10, 1918. Beatrice M. Pratt passed away
on the 11th of September, 1890.
In his political views Mr. Pratt was long a stalwart supporter of the republican
party, becoming one of its stanch advocates at its organization. He filled the office of
county commissioner for three years, was assessor for two terms and for one term
represented his district in the state legislature. In 1893 he was called upon to mourn
the loss of his wife and for nine years he survived her until a stroke of apoplexy
terminated his career. Both were highly esteemed people, enjoying the confidence,
goodwill and friendship of all who knew them, and their worth was widely acknowledged
in Douglas county.
CYRUS G. RICHARDSON.
No history of Colorado would be complete without mention of Cyrus G. Richard-
son, who for twenty-five years was an active member of the Denver bar and was one
of the large investors in Colorado ranch and farm lands, thus indicating his faith in
the state and its future. He was a native of Maine, where the days of his minority
were passed, his early education being acquired in the public schools of that state.
After his public school course was completed he attended the college at Waterville,
Maine, from which in due time he was graduated, and later he took up the study of
law in the Albany Law School, completing a thorough course in that institution. Thus
well qualified tor the bar, he entered upon the active practice of his profession, in
which he won distinction. In 1869 he removed to the west, having in the meantime
married. He opened a law office in Denver, where he continued in active practice
throughout his remaining days. He was a lawyer of eminent ability, his legal learning,
his analytical mind, the readiness with which he grasped the points in an argument,
all combining to make him one of the ablest lawyers practicing at the Denver bar.
His practice was extensive and of an important character. He was remarkable among
lawyers for the wide research and provident care with which he prepared his cases.
At no time was his reading confined to the limitations of the question at issue; it
went beyond and compassed every contingency and provided not alone for the expected,
but for the unexpected, which happens quite as frequently in the courts as out of
them. He was never surprised by the attack of an opposing counsel and he was
always ready to support his position by the citation of precedent or principle. As the
years passed he gave demonstration of his faith in Colorado by his investment in
land until he was the owner of more than seven thousand acres of ranch property In
the state besides a large amount of Denver realty, and thus he left his family in very
comfortable financial circumstances.
It was in the '60s, in St. Louis, Missouri, that Mr. Richardson was united in
marriage to Miss Julia Frances Tibbals, a native of the state of New York, born in
Windham, Greene county, and a daughter of Minor and Temperance (Lamareau)
Tibbals, whose family numbered seven children, of whom two are now living. Mrs.
Richardson was reared and educated in the Empire state and was graduated from
the State Normal School at Albany. She afterward took up the profession of teaching,
which she followed for several years in New York and later she taught in the public
schools of St. Louis, Missouri, for a number of years. Since her husband's death she
has managed the business affairs, having Albert Packard as superintendent of her
ranching interests. In this connection she has made a specialty of the raising of
horses, mules and cattle and in 1918 she had over eleven hundred acres planted to
wheat. She also raised a large amount of alfalfa. The greater part of her land is
under ditch, a most excellent irrigation system keeping it in fine condition.
To Mr. and Mrs. Richardson were born four children: Lenore, Lessie, Theddie
and Daisy, but all have passed away.
In his political views Mr. Richardson was a stalwart republican and ever took
an active part in support of the principles in which he so firmly believed. His
fraternal relations were with the Masons and he was a worthy exemplar of the craft.
His lite was well spent. Indeed his entire career was a most active, useful and honor-
able one and the public and his professional colleagues entertained for him the warmest
regard, while his friends had for him the highest admiration. Passing away in
HISTORY OF COLORADO 349
June, 1894, after a residence of a quarter of a century in Denver, his death was the
occasion of deep and widespread regret. Mrs. Richardson displays excellent business
ability in the control of the important property interests which were left to her and
is regarded as a lady of superior qualifications and executive force, combined with
those truly womanly attributes which have made her a social leader in the circles
in which she moves.
AMOS JESSE EMMONS.
In the history of Amos Jesse Emmons is recorded the career of one of the most
prominent citizens of Boulder county, and when death called him on the 25th of April,
1917, his demise was the occasion of deep regret in many a household throughout this
section of the state. He had long been identified with farming interests in Boulder
county and was numbered among Colorado's pioneer settlers, having driven across the
country, with Captain Tyler from Omaha to Denver with team and wagon at an
early day. While he started out in the business world empty-handed, he came to
number his landed possessions by thousands of acres and his live stoclc by thousands
of head. His success was the direct result and legitimate outcome of persistent effort,
perseverance and unwearied industry, and while he promoted his individual prosperity,
he also contributed to the growth and development of the state, especially through
his cooperation in the work of establishing an adequate irrigation system.
Mr. Emmons was born in Chester, New Jersey, in 1838 and came of English
ancestry, although the family has long been represented on American soil. His
great-grandfather in the paternal line was one of the heroes of the Revolutionary war.
The grandfather, Amos Emmons, and the father, John Emmons, were both natives of
Morris county. New Jersey, and made farming their life work. The latter died in the
year 1840, leaving a widow and four children, one of whom, George Emmons, left New
Jersey for the west in the fall of 1864, with Denver as his destination, and was never
again heard from.
A. J. Emmons was but two years of age when his father passed away. He was
reared upon the old home farm in the east and continued there with his mother until
he reached the age of sixteen years, during which time he acquired his education in
near-by schools. He then took up farming on his own account and his mother found
a comfortable home as well as filial care and devotion with him. At the time of the
outbreak of the Civil war it was his earnest desire to join the army and aid in the
defense of the Union, but he delayed this act at the earnest entreaty of his mother,
who was in very ill health. When she had passed away, however, he quickly offered