Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 44 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 44 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

his services to the country and in May, 1864, was enrolled with the boys in blue of
Company K, Twenty-seventh New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, being mustered into
service at Newark. He was then sent to the front and participated in the siege of
Petersburg and in the arduous campaign which led up to the surrender of General
Lee and his Confederate forces. For eleven months Mr. Emmons was engaged in hard
fighting and was then mustered out at Camp Frelinghuysen at Newark, after having
participated in the grand review in Washington, D. C., where the victorious army
marched through the streets of the capital, over which hung a broad banner bearing
the words: "The only debt which the country owes that she cannot pay is the debt
that she owes to her soldiers."

In the fall following his return from the war, Mr. Emmons started for the west,
hoping that he might find his brother or learn something concerning his fate. He
traveled by way of Chicago and St. Joseph, Missouri, to Om-aha, Nebraska, and from
that point started on the long journey across the plains to Denver. In the meantime
he had formed the acquaintance of four or five young men, with whom he became
connected in the purchase of a team and camp outfit for which they paid three hundred
and fifty dollars. At length some dissatisfaction arose among them and about tliis
time they fell in with Captain Tyler, then of Blackhawk, Colorado, who agreed to
purchase their outfit and transport the men to Colorado for fifty dollars each, after
which he would employ them if they so desired. They then resumed the journey and
covered the distance in what at that time was a remarkably short period — twenty
days.

At every point Mr. Emmons continued his search for his brother, making inquiries
in every direction, but at length felt that his search was fruitless. From Denver,
therefore, he went to Blackhawk and entered the employ of Captain Tyler, receiving
fifty-two dollars for his first month's work. He afterward accompanied Captain Tyler




AMOS J. EMMONS




MRS. LOVINA EMMONS



352 HISTORY OF COLORADO

to the mouth of Boulder creek and remained in his employ for several months at a
salary of seventy-flve dollars per month. Moreover, his board in Blackhawk was not
charged to him, nor the fifty dollars which he had agreed to pay for the trip across
the plains, showing that his employer regarded his service as most valuable. During
the succeeding winter Mr. Emmons engaged in baling hay and in the spring of 1S67
started in business independently by renting a quarter section of land on the lower
Boulder. For nine years he devoted his time and energies to the further cultivation
and improvement of that property and in the meantime he purchased an adjoining
tract of school land of eighty acres and built thereon a home. As he prospered in his
undertakings he kept adding to his holdings from time to time until his aggregate
possessions included more than a thousand acres of valuable land under fence and
thoroughly irrigated and improved. His methods were at all times practical and
energetic and his work produced splendid results. He became interested in cattle
raising, which he began on a small scale, but his herds increased until they numbered
thousands. He ever closely studied the best methods of improving the land and culti-
vating the soil and he took an advanced stand upon many questions which have been
most vital to the agriculturists of this section. He gave most earnest consideration
to the problem of irrigation and many of the big ditches now furnishing water in
Boulder county were built according to the advice and with the assistance of Mr.
Emmons. To other fields of labor Mr. Emmons directed his energies and became a
large stockholder in milling and banking enterprises. Whatever he undertook he
carried forward to success and in his vocabulary there was no such word as fail.
Obstacles and difficulties in his path seemed to serve as an impetus for renewed effort
on his part.

In 1876 in Colorado Mr. Emmons was united in marriage to Miss Lovina Robinson
and they became the parents of six children: Nettie, the wife of Roy Plumb, of Long-
mont; Elizabeth, the wife of C. G. Campbell, of Cheyenne; Carrie, who has married
Lee Perry, of Longmont; Emma, the wife of T. R. Nickell of Denver; Jessie, the wife
of Dr. Frank Kennelley; and Harry A., now living in Strasburg, Colorado. In 1894,
in order to give his children better educational advantages, Mr. Emmons removed
with his family to Longmont, and his eldest daughter, Mrs. Plumb, was graduated from
the high school there. She then attended the Normal School at Greeley and after-
ward successfully engaged in teaching for several years. Mrs. Elizabeth Campbell
was graduated from the high school of Longmont with the class of 1895. In the fine
home at Longmont, Mrs. Emmons yet resides as does her son's family. Mr. Emmons
was ever interested deeply in educational work and for several years served as a
school director and contributed largely of his time and effort to the upbuilding of
the educational interests of his community. Death called Mr. Emmons on the 25th
of April, 1917, and his loss was deeply deplored by all who knew him. He may well
be called one of the builders of the state, for he contributed in substantial measure to
the work of progress and improvement in the city and county in which he lived. He
bravely faced the hardships and privations of pioneer life and aided in laying broad
and deep the foundation upon which has been built the present progress and prosperity
of Colorado. Not all days in his career were equally bright. At times he met
reverses in a business venture, but he never lost heart and his determination and
energy overcame all obstacles. As the years passed he prospered and in the course
of time ranked with the most substantial residents of Longmont. He had reached
the age of seventy-nine years, two months and eighteen days, leaving behind him the
record of an untarnished name. His history was as the day with its morning of hope
and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and successful effort,
ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night.



GEORGE T. NEWMARCH.



George T. Newmarch was born in Douglas county. July 9, 1872, on the ranch which
is now his home. He is a western man by training and preference as well as by
birth and exemplifies in his life the spirit of western enterprise and progress. His
father, Charles Turner Newmarch, was a prominent dairyman and stock raiser of
Douglas county for many years, owning and cultivating a ranch of five hundred and
thirty acres. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, September 15, 1825, a son of
Thomas and Mary (Turner) Newmarch. He was reared to farm life and became
self-supporting when a mere lad. In 1853 he bade adieu to friends and native country
and sailed for America, landing at Montreal, Canada, whence he made his way to



HISTORY OF COLORADO 353

Charleston, West Virginia. In 1858 he removed to Comanche, Clinton county, Iowa,
and on the 12th of May, 1859, started for Pike's Peak. Eventually he became a resi-
dent of Jefferson county, Colorado, and in 1863 he removed to the Platte canyon in
Douglas county, where he owned and cultivated a tract of land which he sold in
1866, taking up his abode at that time on Indian creek. On the 15th of November,
1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth M. Perry, a native of Somersetshire,
England, and a daughter of James and Elizabeth Ann (Dowden) Perry, who came
with their family to America when Mrs. Newmarch was nine years of age, arriving
in Colorado in 1861. Her mother homesteaded a part of the ranch upon which George
T. Newmarch of this review now resides and thus both the Newmarch and Perry
families have been identified with the development and progress of the state from
early pioneer days. To Mr. and Mrs. Charles Turner Newmarch were born four
children: Charles James, George Thomas, Ida and Elizabeth Lillian. The family
shared in all of the hardships and privations incident to the settlement of the frontier
and the father contributed in marked measure to the substantial development and
progress of the district in which he lived. He was a man of genuine personal
worth, of high principles, of marked capability, and wherever known he was held in
the highest esteem.

George T. Newmarch was reared under the parental roof and in his early school
days it was not unusual for him to see hundreds of wild long-horn Texas cattle upon
the plains. There is no feature or phase of pioneer life with which he did not become
familiar and his memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past, with its
hardships and privations, and the progressive present, with its opportunities and
advantages.

In 1897 Mr. Newmarch was united in marriage to Miss Susan B. Harlin, who
was born in the state of New York and in her early girlhood days went to Kansas
with her parents. There she was reared and educated and from that state removed
to Colorado, where she was married. Slie has become the mother of four children:
Howard S., who is now employed in the Du Pont powder plant at Louviers, Colorado;
Charles T., who is attending the high school at Castle Rock; Ethel E., also a pupil in
the high school there; and Ruth M.. who completes the family.

Mr. and Mrs. Newmarch attend the Episcopal church and contribute generously
to its support. He is identified with the Woodmen of the World at Castle Rock and
also with the Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, at Sedalia. In politics he may be termed
an independent republican, for while he usually supports the men and measures of
that party, he does not consider himself bound by party ties. He has always been
an independent thinker, progressive in action, resolute and determined in spirit and
guided at all times by a laudable ambition that has worked for his advancement in a
business way.



GEORGE L. HALL.



George L. Hall, who owns and operates a cattle ranch a mile south of Peyton, was
born in Hallsville. Dewitt county, Illinois, May 21, 1869, a son of Aquilla and Elizabeth
(Barnett) Hall. Both parents were representatives of old families of Illinois. The
town of Hallsville was named in honor of the ancestors of George L. Hall in the
paternal line, and the memory of his maternal ancestors is perpetuated in the name
of Barnett township in Dewitt county. Illinois. His father, Aquilla Hall, was born
in Paris, Kentucky, in 1837 and represented one of the old southern families. When
George L. Hall was but three years of age his parents removed to Table Rock, El Paso
county, Colorado, where the father homesteaded and continued to reside upon his land
for many years, after which time he entered into the mining and real estate business
for some years before he retired from active business. He then took up his abode in
Peyton, Colorado, where he passed away in October, 1918.

George L. Hall was accorded liberal educational advautages. He was graduated
from the University of Denver on the completion of a business course, being thus well
qualified for life's practical and responsible duties. For a number of years he was a
stenographer with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
and the Colorado Midland Railway Companies and for one year he was employed in
the post office at Colorado Springs. He also spent a year in the clerk's office at
Colorado Springs and in 1895 he became actively engaged in ranching, purchasing
one thousand acres of land near Peyton, on which he has since engaged extensively in
feeding cattle, feeding more than one hundred head at a time. The ranch is well



354 HISTORY OF COLORADO

adapted to the raising of wild grasses and in 1911 Mr. Hall received the first prize
awarded for wild grasses at the dry farming congress held in Colorado Springs.

In 1895 Mr. Hall was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Taylor, who was
born in Ohio and comes of Quaker ancestry. She is a direct descendant of Zachary
Taylor, once president of the United States. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have two children,
Everett B. and Pauline Villette. The former is a high school graduate and also com-
pleted a course in the Brown Business College at Colorado Springs. He is now a
member of Battery D of the National Guard of Colorado, holding the rank of sergeant.
The daughter, an accomplished musician, is a student in the high school at Colorado
Springs.

In his political views Mr. Hall is a republican and gives stalwart support to
the party.



HON. ATTERSON W. RUCKER.

It has often been thought that the qualities which are demanded for success along
professional lines are at variance with those which are needed for the achievement
of prosperity in agriculture. Be this as it may, Hon. Atterson W. Rucker has won
prominence in both fields and by reason of his extended and intelligently directed
activity has left his impress upon the history of Colorado as lawyer, legislator, agri-
culturist and stock raiser. He was born in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, April 3, 1S47, a
son of James W. and Elizabeth E. (Jones) Rucker. The father was a major in the
Mexican war, while the maternal grandfather served with the same rank in the War
of 1812. Ancestors of Mr. Rucker also participated in the struggle for independence
which led to the establishment of the American republic, and the same military
spirit was displayed by Atterson W. Rucker and his three brothers, who responded
to the call of their loved southland and served in the Confederate army. He enlisted,
in 1862. as a member of Shelby's brigade, and was attached to Price's army during
the campaign through Missouri, participating in the engagements at Carthage, Lexing-
ton, and elsewhere. He was taken prisoner, in August of '62, and after having been
imprisoned at Springfield, Missouri, for six months, was paroled.

Following the close of the war Atterson W. Rucker, when a young man of twenty
years, took up the study of law in Lexington, Missouri, in 1867 and was admitted to
practice in June, 1S68. In the fall of 1869, in connection with his brother, T. A. Rucker,
he opened an office at Baxter Springs, Kansas, for the practice of law and remained a
resident of that place until 1873. He then went to Kansas City, Missouri, where he
resided until 1879, when he removed to Leadville, Colorado, and afterward was
appointed judge of the criminal court of Lake county, serving upon the bench for a
short period. Retiring from office, he resumed private practice, in which he continued
at Leadville until 1885, when he removed to Denver and was an active and successful
member of the bar of that city until 1908. He was accorded a large and distinctively
representative clientage which connected him with much of the important litigation
heard in the courts of the state. His preparation of a case was always thorough and
exhaustive, his deductions logical, his reasoning clear and cogent. Moreover, he was
seldom if ever at fault in the application of a legal principle and his ability was
acknowledged by colleagues and contemporaries at the bar. In 1908 he was elected a
member of the sixty-first congress and was continued in office through the sixty-second
congress. He was elected, on the democratic ticket, from the first congressional dis-
trict, which at that time included the city and county of Denver, and though it was
normally a strong republican section, he was elected with a majority of more than
six thousand votes. During his service in congress, he served as a member of the
insular committee, and as such, made an official trip of inspection and investigation,
to Porto Rico and also to Honolulu, and the Philippines, this latter investigation being
extended to include Japan and China. He also served as a member of the irrigation
committee; the committee on Indian affairs, and the pension committee. It is worthy
of note that, largely through his efforts, and in face of strenuous opposition, including
that of the chairman of the appropriations committee, the funds for the completion
of the new federal building, in Denver, were obtained and the building stands as a
monument to his earnest effort. He closely studied the questions which came up for
settlement affecting the welfare of the commonwealth and country and gave earnest
support to every measure which he believed would promote the public good. At the
close of his congressional service he returned to his home and is now engaged in
raising registered pure-blooded Hampshire Down sheep, having the only flock of the




HON. ATTERSON W. RUCKER



356 HISTORY OF COLORADO

kind in the state and is successfully directing his sheep raising interests. He is a
member of the Farmers Union, the National Wool Growers' Association, the Cattle
Growers' Association and the National Farmers' Institute.

Judge Rucker has never ceased to feel the deepest interest in the political situa-
tion of the country and few men are better informed concerning the vital questions
and issues of the day than he. While in Kansas he was a candidate for attorney
general of the state and was on the Greeley electoral ticket. In Colorado he has also
been on the electoral ticket at two different times.

At Baxter Springs, Kansas, on the 5th of March, 1S72, Judge Rucker was united
in marriage to Miss Celeste Caruth, a daughter of Hon. S. B. and Jane (Browne)
Caruth. Mrs. Rucker was born in Illinois and was reared and educated in Columbia,
Missouri. In 1906 she was called to her final rest. A daughter. Ethel R., is the wife
of Frederick Dorr, formerly a resident of Boston but now of Denver, and they have
a daughter, Celeste, who is the wife of Captain Garner, of the United States army, now
on active duty in France.

Judge Rucker belongs to the Denver Athletic Club and his religious faith is indi-
cated by his membership in the Christian church. He has turned to hunting and fish-
ing for rest and relaxation, greatly enjoying those sports. While he has passed beyond
the Psalmist's span of three score years and ten he is still a most active, energetic
man and in spirit and interests as well as in personal appearance seems yet in his
prime. The term seventy-one years young may be appropriately applied to him. He
keeps closely in touch with the trend of modern thought and progress and gives out
of his rich stores of wisdom and experience for the benefit of others. His activities
have covered a broad field, touching the general interests of society, and Colorado has
reason to class him with her valued, honored and representative citizens.



JOHN D. WARBERG.



John D. Warberg has extensive landed interests in Larimer and Weld counties
but makes his home in the former, living on section 32, township 5, range 68, his place
being pleasantly situated about five miles southeast of Loveland. He was born in
Sweden, November 4. 1861, a son of Carl and Gustava (Danielson) Warberg, who were
also natives of Sweden. The father followed farming in that country throughout his
entire life, his labors being ended in death in January, 1891. His widow survived him
for a considerable period, passing away in December, 1910.

John D. Warberg spent his youthful days in his native country until he had com-
pleted his first two decades. He was educated in the schools of Sweden and in 1881 the
opportunities of the new world attracted him across the Atlantic and he became a
resident of Boulder county, Colorado, where he was employed as a farm hand for five
years. Anxious and ambitious to engage in business on his own account, he then
rented land in Weld county and continued its cultivation for five years. On the ex-
piration of that period he bought land a mile and a half north of Berthoud, but the
country soon afterward was swept by a widespread financial panic and he lost every-
thing. He then had to go to work again for others for another year, at the end of
■which time he took a contract for digging irrigation ditches. Later he rented his
present place, upon wliich he lived for four years as a renter and then purchased the
property, which he has since owned and cultivated. He has ninety-seven acres and has
improved the place in nice shape. For years he fed cattle and sheep but for the past
three years has not engaged in stock feeding on account of impaired health. He has
purchased more land from time to time and is now the owner of eight hundred and
forty acres of dry land in Weld county and two hundred and fifty-seven acres, upon
which he resides, in Larimer county, most of which is irrigated. He rents most of his
land at the present time, however, leaving the arduous work of further developing and
cultivating his farm to others.

On the 2Sth of December, 1892, Mr. Warberg was united in marriage to Miss Sophie
Carlson, a daughter of Carl and Eva (Carlson) Carlson, who were natives of Sweden.
Mrs. Warberg was born in that country in December, 1864. Her father also made farm-
ing his life work and passed away in Sweden in April. 1914, while the mother survived
until March of the following year. Mr. and Mrs. Warberg have become the parents of
five children: Ellen, who is at home; Annie, a teacher at Milliken, Colorado; Daveda;
Cecelia, who is attending the State Teachers' College; and Carl, who is a student in
the high school of Loveland.

Mr. Warberg has served on the school board for fifteen years and the cause of



358 HISTORY OF COLORADO

education has ever found in him a stalwart champion. He has given his children
excellent advantages in that direction, desiring to prepare them in the hest possible
way for life's practical and responsible duties. Fraternally he is connected with the
Loyal Order of Moose, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the
World. Politically he is a republican and his religious belief is that of the United
Presbyterian church. He is a man of excellent traits of character and of high principles
and his genuine worth is attested by the many friends that he has made during the
period of his residence in Colorado.



NELS ANDERSON.



Nels Anderson Is the owner of a well improved farm property near Sedalia, largely
devoted to dairy interests. He was born in Sweden in 1867, a son of Andrew and Mary
(Anderson) Anderson, both of whom were natives of the same country. In 1887, when
a young man of twenty years, Nels Anderson crossed the Atlantic to the new world
and established his home in Brainerd, Minnesota. After living in that section for two
years he removed westward to Castle Rock, Colorado, and was for eight years employed
in the stone quarries, thus making his initial step in the business circles of his adopted
state. On the expiration of that period he located in Sedalia, where he conducted
business for fifteen years and then sold out. He next turned his attention to agri-
cultural pursuits and purchased the farm of one hundred and twenty acres, a half
mile west of Sedalia, upon which he now resides. He has put all of the improvements
upon this property, erecting a new house, a large and substantial barn and all the
necessary sheds for the shelter of grain and stock. He is engaged in dairy farming
and for this purpose keeps a large number of high-grade cows. Everything about the
place is most sanitary and he displays sound .ludgment in the care of his milk from
the time it is taken from the cows until it reaches the consumers.

In 1902 Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Elma Victoria Anderson,
who was born in Denver and was reared in Elizabeth, Elbert county, Colorado. They
have become the parents of four children: Esther G., Thelma M., Grace G. and
Helen E.

In his political views Mr. Anderson has always been a stalwart republican since
becoming a naturalized American citizen. He is much interested in the cause of public
education and for four years has been secretary of the Sedalia school. His religious
faith is that of the Lutheran church and he is a man of genuine worth whose progress
has been continuous since he came to the new world and who is ever a stalwart cham-
pion of material, intellectual and moral progress.



DR. PETER CARPENTER.



One of the pioneers of the Greeley colony was Daniel Carpenter, father of Dr. Peter
Carpenter and mentioned at length an another page of this work in connection with
the sketch of LeRoy S. Carpenter. Peter Carpenter purchased land seven miles east
of Fort Collins, Colorado, and located his family thereon in 1870, hoping to regain his
health in the outdoor life. He died, however, in 1871, leaving a widow and three sons,
George, Harry and Don. The eldest George S. Carpenter, remained with his mother,
Mrs. Mary P. Carpenter, upon the farm and developed It, thus giving to the state another



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 44 of 108)