the United States navy. He was with Stephen Decatur as quarter gunner in the war
with Tripoli in 1804, also participated in the War of 1812 and the Algerian war of
1815. Elizabeth (Coover) James, the mother of Mrs. Hearon, was born at Bourneville,
Ohio, in 1838. a daughter of John and Adah (McKenzie) Coover and a great-grand-
daughter of Gideon Coover, who was born in 1738 and died in 1810. He was a private
in Captain McCurdy's company of the Third Battalion of Cumberland county, Pennsyl-
vania Militia, in 1780, of which Samuel Erwin was the colonel, and with this command
he did active service in the Revolutionary war. Mrs. James was a granddaughter of
Joshua McKenzie, who was a drummer in Lieutenant Colonel Ludwig Weltner's com-
pany of the German Battalion in the Revolutionary war. Mrs. Hearon is a member of
the Denver Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
To Mr. and Mrs. Hearon have been born twin daughters, Elizabeth and Eleanor,
366 HISTORY OF COLORADO
whose birth occurred in 1904, and a third daughter, Mary Carlisle, born in 1907. Mr.
Hearon is a lover of all forms of outdoor life and is particularly fond of shooting. He
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
was for many years connected with gun clubs but in recent years his close application
to business has deprived him of this pleasure. His devotion to his family is one of
his marked characteristics. As a business man he ranks high, his entire career being
characterized by loyalty to every interest entrusted to his care. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party, while his religious faith is evidenced in his member-
ship in the Church of the Ascension of Denver. He likewise belongs to the Denver
Club, the Denver Country Club and the Denver Civic and Commercial Association.
JOHN E. BAILEY.
John E. Bailey, a highly respected farmer, stockman and dairyman of Jefferson
county, was born in Chicago, Illinois, on the 18th of January, 1864. His father, Joseph
Bailey, a native of England, came to America and took up his abode in Chicago. He
became a captain of vessels sailing on the Great Lakes, devoting his life to navigation
interests. Both he and his wife passed away in Chicago leaving five children, all of
whom are living.
John E. Bailey was adopted by his uncle, John Bailey, for whom he was named
and who removed to Minnesota, so that the subject of this review was reared and
educated in that state. After attaining his majority he went to North Dakota, where
he lived for two years, and then removed to Oregon, where he engaged in the sheep
business for a period of four years. He then sold out and turned his attention to
mining in Colorado, spending three years in that way. He afterward located on his
father-in-law's farm and has since given his attention to general agricultural pursuits,
stock raising and dairying. For this purpose he keeps a number of high grade cows
and has a well appointed dairy, conducted along scientific and sanitary lines, and bring-
ing to him a substantial measure of success.
In 1893 Mr. Bailey was united in marriage to Miss Annie Spickerman, a native
of Colorado and a daughter of A. H. and Fannie (Wylie) Spickerman. Her father
settled upon the ranch now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Bailey in the year 1859 and he
and his wife continued to make their home thereon until called to their final rest.
Mr. and Mrs. Bailey have become the parents of seven children, Andrew, Francis, John,
Anna, Joseph, Bryan and James.
The parents are members of the Episcopal church and are people of genuine worth,
highly esteemed by all who know them. Mr. Bailey is also a member of the Woodmen
of the World. His political endorsement is given to the republican party and while
he has never sought or desired political office he has served as school director. He is
interested in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of the community in which
he resides and cooperates heartily in many plans and movements for the general good.
Those who know him — and he has a wide acquaintance — speak of him in terms of
warm regard and many give him their enduring friendship.
An attractive brick residence standing in the midst of a highly cultivated farm in
Boulder county is the home of Hiram Prince, now one of the venerable citizens of his
section of the state, for he has reached the ninety-fourth milestone on life's journey.
He was bom in Mobile, Alabama, on the 6th of May, 1824, a son of John and Mary
(Cooper) Prince, who were natives of England. They came to America in an early
day, settling in Alabama, where both passed away.
Hiram Prince, who was one of a family of three children, left home when but ten
years of age and shipped on a whaling vessel. He followed the seas in that connection
for twelve years and afterward engaged in steamboating as second mate on the
Mississippi river. In 1864 he arrived in Colorado, making his way to Denver, and
having previously acquainted himself with the blacksmith's trade, he there followed
work along that line. He was the builder of the first omnibus that was run in Denver
and he continued to work at his trade in that city until 1870, when he turned his atten-
tion to agricultural pursuits, purchasing the farm whereon he now resides in Boulder
county. It comprises two hundred and fifty acres of rich and valuable land and he has
also given eighty acres to each of his children. Upon his present farm he has made
368 HISTORY OF COLORADO
many modern improvements, has erected the fine brick residence which he occupies and
has also otlier good buildings whrch furnish ample shelter for the grain and stock.
His entire farm is under the ditch and everything about the place is indicative of his
careful supervision and progressive methods.
Mr. Prince was for thirty years president of the South Boulder Canyon Ditch Com-
pany, which runs sixty-five cubic feet of water per second. In fact he was most closely
associated with the very first irrigation schemes in his district, for he was appointed
by Governor Pitkin as the first water commissioner to divide the waters in Boulder
creek. He was appointed prior to the regular commission and when that body came
into being it abided by his decision. He continued in that connection until he resigned
in order to take up his duties in the state legislature. When the ditch company was
formed in 1870 Mr. Prince made the by-laws, etc., and also made the plans for assess-
ments. The same stock which originally was sold for twenty-five cents is today literally
priceless, a fact which places a true valuation upon his activities in this connection.
Mr. Prince was married in Missouri in 1851 to Miss Mary Lindsey, a native of
Ohio, and to them were born six children: Frank; Louis, who is identified with farm-
ing in Boulder county; John, who resides with his father and carries on the home
place; Clarence, of Boulder county; Mary, the wife of Al Schofield; and Emma, who
married Elmer Schofield. The wife and mother passed away in 1892 and was laid
to rest in Lafayette cemetery.
Mr. Prince is a republican in his political views and has twice been called upon to
represent his district in the state legislature. He has also served on the school board
and has stood stanchly in support of every project and measure which he deemed would
prove of benefit in advancing the political, educational and moral welfare of the
community. For years he was superintendent of what was known as the People's
Sunday school at Denver and he has done much to further moral progress in the
community. Moreover, he is a self-made man when judged from a business standpoint
and has accumulated a handsome fortune. He is wonderfully well preserved for one
of his years, making frequent trips to town with a team of horses. His life was for
many years one of intense activity that brought to him the substantial competence that
is today his, enabling him to spend the evening of life in retirement and comfort. Not-
withstanding his advanced years he keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought
and progress and
"Though the snows of winter are on his head
The flowers of spring are in his heart."
NELS P. SWANSON.
Nels P. Swanson, living on section 20, township 4, range 68, in Weld county, was
born in Sweden, January 8, 1868, a son of Swan and Ingre (Nelson) Gumeson, who
are mentioned elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of G. S. Swanson.
Nels P. Swanson was reared and educated in Sweden and when nineteen years
of age came to America. He located at Berthoud, Larimer county, and worked as a
farm hand for four years. He then went to Cripple Creek, where he followed mining
for eleven years and on the expiration of that period he returned and rented land
in Weld county. This he continued to cultivate for about fifteen years but prior to
the end of that time he purchased his present place, which he cultivated for four
years before taking up his abode thereon. In April, 1918, however, he removed to
the farm and today he has one of the best improved places of the state. In its midst
stands a thoroughly modern and beautiful brick residence, in the rear of which are
large and substantial outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock. The improve-
ments upon the place indicate his progressive spirit. They meet every requirement
of the model farm and he has all of the latest improved machinery and every facility
to promote farm work. He makes a business of feeding cattle and of raising pure bred
Duroc Jersey hogs and Holstein-Friesian cattle. He is also a stockholder in the
Milliken flour mill and a stockholder in the Handy Ditch Company and in the Love-
land Lake & Ditch Company. He has altogether two hundred and forty acres of land,
upon which are found three sets of good buildings.
In September, 1899, Mr. Swanson was united in marriage to Miss Nora Morell, a
daughter of John Morell, a native of Sweden, where he spent his entire life. Mr. and
Mrs. Swanson became the parents of two children: Oscar G., born January 17, 1901,
who is now attending the Agricultural College at Fort Collins; and Edna, who was
NELS P. SWANSON. HIS HOME AND RANCH
370 HISTORY OF COLORADO
born in 1903 and died in 1906. The wife and mother passed away in September, 1907,
and in September, 1908, Mr. Swanson was married to Miss Tecla Carlson. They had
one child, Carl, who was born in December, 1910, and passed away in January, 1911,
while Mrs. Swanson departed this life in 1912.
Mr. Swanson belongs to the Swedish Lutheran church, of which he is the secretary,
and he also has membership with the Knights of The Maccabees. His political allegi-
ance is given to the democratic party but he has never sought or desired office, pre-
ferring to give his undivided attention to his business affairs, which have been care-
fully conducted. He has worked persistently and energetically as the years have gone
by, and although he started out in life empty-handed, he is today at the head of busi-
ness interests of considerable importance and is financially and officially identified with
several corporations which have much to do with the development, progress and pros-
perity of his section of the state.
George Nickson, who is making a creditable record as a fearless and faithful officer
in the position of sheriff of Douglas county, was born and reared in the county which
is still his home and with its development and upbuilding has been identified through
forty-four years. His natal day was February 2, 1874, his parents being George and
Sarah (Paddison) Nickson, the former a native of England, while the latter was born
in Wales. The father, on coming to Colorado in the early '60s, settled at Plum creek
in Douglas county, where he homesteaded and also purchased land, thereon residing
to the time of his death. His widow survives and is still occupying the old home
George Niiekson acquired a common school education and early in life took up
blacksmithing jat Castle Rock, where he now owns a blacksmithing and horseshoeing
shop. He continued active in the line of his trade until 1901, when he was appointed
under sheriff of Douglas county by Sheriff Anderson, who is now filling the position of
county judge and who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Mr. Nickson continued
to act in that capacity for four years and in 1912 was elected sheriff of Douglas county
on the democratic ticket for a term of two years. Three times since then he has
been reelected to the office. Four years' service as deputy and eight years' service
as sheriff certainly indicates a most creditable record of faithfulness and capability.
While he has retired from activity along the line of his trade, owing to the demands
of his office, he is still known in the business circles of Castle Rock as one of the
stockholders in the Castle Rock State Bank.
On the 25th of November, 1911, Mr. Nickson was married to Miss Bertha Howell,
of Pueblo, a graduate of the Pueblo high school, who prior to her marriage engaged
in teaching for several terms. Three children have been born of this union: Gweny,
Betty and George Andrew. The family attend the Episcopal church and Mr. Nickson
has membership in the Odd Fellows lodge of Castle Rock and also in the Improved
Order of Red Men. His time and attention at present, however, are largely given out-
side of the duties of his office- to his work as chairman of the county exemption board
and he is standing loyally behind the president in all of the efforts of the nation to up-
hold on European soil the principles for which this country stands, based upon the
belief that "all men are created free and equal."
WALTER ANDREW PETERSON.
Walter Andrew Peterson, organizer and the president of the Pioneer State Bank of
Denver, which was founded in 1912, is numbered among the substantial citizens that
Illinois has contributed to Colorado. He was born in Paxton, Illinois, on the 3d of
September, 1872, a son of Gustav and Johanna (Jonnson) Peterson. The father, a
native of Sweden, was a railway worker and in 1866 came to the new world. Both he
and his wife have now passed away. They had a family of nine children, three of
whom have been called to the home beyond.
Walter A. Peterson acquired a public school education in his native town and then
went to Rockford, Illinois, where he attended the public schools, while later he pur-
sued a course in a business college there and thus became well qualified for life's prac-
tical and responsible duties. He entered upon his business career in connection with
HISTORY OF COLORADO 371
the Rockford (111.) National Bank, with which he was associated for seven years. He
afterward spent three years as treasurer of the Forest City Furniture Company and
for a similar period was secretary of the Forest City Bit & Tool Company of Rockford.
In these various connections he was gaining valuable experience and knowledge which
has been of benefit to him as the years have passed by. His residence in Denver dates
from 1902, when he took up his abode in this city and became connected with the
J. F. Brown Investment Company as its treasurer. He has since figured in financial
circles and in 1912 became the organizer of the Pioneer State Bank, of which he was
elected president, a position which he has since continuously and capably filled. His
early experience in banking stood him in good stead in this connection and a general
banking business is safely conducted. He has ever recognized the fact that the bank
is most worthy of support that most carefully safeguards the interests of its depositors
and the course which he has followed lias commanded for the institution the highest
trust and confidence.
Before leaving Illinois, Mr. Peterson was married in 1900 to Miss Alice O. Lund-
vall, of Rockford, and they have become the parents of two children: Wesley Adalbert,
who was born in 1903 and is now a pupil in the Manual Training high school of
Denver; and Grace Evelyn, who was born in 1908 and is also pursuing her studies.
The parents are members of the Lutheran church, in the work of which they take
an active and helpful interest, Mr. Peterson serving as one of the deacons of the
Augustana Lutheran church. He belongs to the Denver Real Estate Exchange, also to
the Denver Chamber of Commerce and the Denver Manufacturers' Association, and Is
deeply interested in all plans and measures put forth by these organizations for the
city's upbuilding and benefit. In 1908 he was appointed vice consul of Sweden at Den-
ver and is still filling that position. He is a man of discriminating judgment in public
as well as in business affairs, and his enterprise and progressiveness have carried him
steadily forward in various important relations of life.
FRANK L. MONTGOMERY.
In the passing of Frank L. Montgomery, of Parker, Colorado, Douglas county lost
one of its leading citizens and honored pioneers, who for many years had contributed
toward its development along various lines. During the last years of his life he lived
retired in the enjoyment of well earned rest, having acquired a comfortable competence
through ranching, to which occupation he devoted his attention during many years to ,
good purpose, not only acquiring an individual fortune but also assisting in the agricul- '
tural development of his district in marked manner. A native of New Hampshire, Mr.;
Montgomery was born in 1846, in Fairfield, and early in his life removed with his
parents to Wisconsin, where he was largely reared and received his education. During
the strife between north and south he enlisted in the Union army and in the cause of
freedom served for one year, at the end of which period he was honorably discharged.
When the war was concluded he returned to his Wisconsin home, but having heard
favorable reports of the many opportunities which were presented to a young and
energetic man in Colorado, he decided to remove to that section of the country and in
1866 became a resident of this state. During the first few years he gave his attention
largely to freighting, in which occupation he was quite successful, but in 1872 decided
to settle upon a homestead on Cherry creek, in Douglas county. He was numbered among
the pioneers residents of his part of the county and there he continued along agricultural
lines for thirty-four years, or until 1906, when he sold his farming interests and retired
to Parker, where he passed the remainder of his life, highly respected and honored by
all who knew him. His farm became one of the valuable properties of Douglas county,
for he not only brought his land under a high state of cultivation but also built model
structures to shelter grain and stock and likewise instituted up-to-date equipment, prov-
ing himself in every way a progressive, modern agriculturist who was ever ready to try
out the latest experiments along his line of occupation in order not only to serve himself
but also all others who followed the same line of vocation. In that way he not only
acquired a comfortable competence for himself but also set a valuable example.
In 1873 Frank L. Montgomery and Elizabeth E. O'Neil were united in marriage,
the latter having come to this state in 1864 with her parents, who were among the
early settlers of Douglas county. To this union were born six children. Frank S.
resides in Montrose county. Mary A. is the wife of J. W. Young, by whom she has
five children, and they reside in Douglas county. Her eldest child is Lester L., who
married Josephine Kennedy, of Denver, shortly before he left for FYance, having en-
FTIANK L. MONTGOMERY
MRS. FRANK L. MONTGOMERY
37i HISTORY OF COLORADO
listed iu the Engineers Corps, U. S. A. His younger sisters and brothers are Josephine,
Mildred, Ruth and Chester. Charles G., the next member of the Montgomery family,
married Louisa Hawkey and both passed away, leaving a son, Thomas E., who makes his
home with his grandmother, Mrs. Frank L. Montgomery of this review, at Parker.
Nellie E., the fourth in the family, married W. H. Shroer, who passed away and by
whom she had one son, William. She subsequently married W. E. Sager and they now
reside at Bovina, Colorado. Edgar Montgomery married Annie Ulray, of Parker, and
they had a son, Robert E. Edgar Montgomery was a valued employe of the Union
Pacific Railroad up to the time of his death on December 4, 1918. Lilly I., the youngest
of the family, married W. R. Ellis and they reside on his homestead near Thatcher,
Colorado. They have a daughter, Dorothy E. The family are highly respected and
esteemed in Parker and vicinity, all of them ever readily supporting worthy measures
undertaken on behalf of public beoefit, and Mrs. Montgomery and her children are valued
members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Montgomery was a loyal republican in his political affiliations and the high
place which he filled in the esteem of his fellow citizens is evident from the fact that
for a long period he served as county commissioner, his service covering three terms.
Fraternally he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Red
Men. In his passing in 1917 Douglas county not only lost a substantial citizen but a
public-spirited and loyal American who ever upheld the democratic principles of liberty
and freedom and who was ever ready to give of his time and means in order to promote
local as well as county and state interests. Being numbered among the pioneers of
Douglas county, Mr. Montgomery was known to practically all of its inhabitants and
when he died left many friends, all of whom sincerely mourned his demise. Many were
the tokens of condolence and sympathy extended to the family upon that occasion,
being proof of the high regard in which he was held by all.
Mrs. Montgomery is greatly beloved on account of her womanly qualities of character
and as a loving mother and grandmother is venerated by her children and many grand-
children. She has always considered it her noblest duty to be to them a friend and
guide in all those perplexities which beset human beings from earliest childhood. She
now lives in a modern, handsome bungalow at Parker which Mr. Montgomery had built
before his death and in which he spent his last days.
James Truelsen, successfully engaged in fruit and truck farming near Edgewater,
was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark, on the 17th of September, 1863, a son of
James and Mary Truelsen. The father was a farmer and hotel proprietor.
His son James, the youngest of a family of thirteen children, attended school in
Denmark until he reached the age of fifteen years, when he began learning the baker's
trade. He was a youth of eighteen when in 1881 he came to the United States, making
his way to Davenport, Iowa, where he was employed for two years. With his brothers
he then leased a farm in Pocahontas county, Iowa, where he carried on general agri-
cultural pursuits until 1S85, when he removed to Denver *and was in the employ of
William Holland for two and a half years, receiving a salary of twenty-five dollars per
month in the summer seasons and fifteen dollars in the winter seasons. He afterward
leased the Ellis property at what is now Thirty-first and Quincy streets, and in 1889 he
purchased ten acres of land in Maple Grove, constituting the nucleus of his present
possessions. In 1890 he added a five-acre tract and in 1900 purchased ten acres more,
so that he now has twenty-five acres of very rich and productive land devoted to the
raising of fruit and garden products. His annual sales are large and the excellence
of his products enables him to command high prices.
In April, 18S8, in Denver, Mr. Truelsen was united in marriage to Miss Mary
Hansen, a daughter of Hans and Katrina Hansen. Mrs. Truelsen was also born in
Denmark and came to the new world in young womanhood. Two daughters have been
born of this marriage: Norma, now the wife of J. R. Wilson, by whom she has three
children — James, Bertrand and Mary; and Katie, the widow of Carl Koenig.
In his political views Mr. Truelsen has ever been a stalwart republican and served
as county commissioner from 1912 until 1916. During his term of oflSce the Lookout
Mountain road was built, also the first five miles of the Colfax concrete road and the
Denver-Morrison road, and the jail and sheriff's residence at Golden were erected.
Mr. Truelsen cast the weight of his influence on the side of progress, development and
improvement and his labors were of much worth in this connection. He has been sec-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 375
retary of the school district and was so serving when the fine Maple Grove schoolhouse,