Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 47 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 47 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

a two-story and basement brick structure, was erected. This is also used for a Grange
hall and has a large stage with roll curtain. Mr. Truelsen acted as purchasing
agent for the Maple Grove Grange for several years. There is no plan or project for
the benefit and upbuilding of the community which does not receive his endorsement
and, if possible, his active cooperation. He is a man of marked ability and enterprise
whose success is the direct result and outcome of his individual labors. He has gained
many friends during the period of his residence in Colorado and all esteem him for
his personal worth.



JAMES WOODHOUSE.



James Woodhouse, living near Sedalia, is now in the seventy-seventh year of his
age but in appearance and interests seems a man of not more than sixty-five. He was
born in Sheflield, Yorkshire, England, a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Foster) Wood-
house. On coming to America in 1S72 he settled at Hartford, Connecticut, where he
engaged in brickmaking, a trade which he had learned in his native country under
the direction of his father, who had long been a brickniaker of England.

In 1873 Mr. Woodhouse arrived at Sedalia, Colorado, and has resided in the city
or vicinity since that time. His attention has been devoted to brickmaking, brick-
laying and farming and at present he is the owner of seventeen hundred acres of
well improved land in Douglas county. His home farm of ten hundred and forty acres
is situated a short distance off the state road north of Sedalia and in addition he has
a six hundred and sixty acre ranch east of Castle Rock. His home farm is adapted
to the raising of small grain and in 1918 he produced three thousand bushels of
wheat, besides rye, corn, oats and other crops in abundance. He keeps one hundred
head of cattle upon his place and also ten workhorses and mules. Moreover, he uses
a farm tractor and has a complete line of the most modern farm implements, using
everything possible to facilitate the work of the fields and bring his land to the
highest point of productivity. Mr. Woodhouse has purchased nearly all of the land
which he possesses. He did not homestead but he preempted one hundred and sixty
acres.

Mr. Woodhouse was first married to Annie Weil, a native of England, who passed
away in 1887, without issue. In ^888 Mr. Woodhouse was united in marriage to Anna
Jacksh, a native of Austria, who came to America with her parents. They have a
family of nine children. James, who followed ranching near Sedalia, was well known
and liked by all. He was robust, a perfect specimen of young manhood, but became
a victim of the Spanish infiuenza and passed away at the age of twenty-nine years,
leaving a wife and one child, the former having been Hattie Krull prior to their
marriage. Robert is at home upon the ranch. Susie is also at home. Phoebe is the
wife of William Woodhouse, of Boulder, and has three children. The others of the
family are Frank, Rosie, Grace, Bessie and Annie, the last named but seven years
of age. Mr. Woodhouse is preparing to give all of his children land and wishes them
to be thoroughly trained in farm work — the daughters as well as the sons. He has
thus labored for the interests of his family and the success he has achieved will enable
him to provide liberally for them. His political alleglanca is given to the democratic
party.



JOHN PEDERSEN.



John Pedersen, identified with the farming interests of Adams county where he
has large and substantial landed possessions ranking him with the representative agri-
culturists of the community, has made his liome in Colorado since 1882 and has occupied
his present farm since 1886. He was born in Drammen, Norway, on the 21st of
January, 1846, a son of Peter and Johanna Gulbransen. The mother died when their,
son John was but four years of age and he was left an orphan by the death of his
father when a little lad of but seven years.

In his boyhood days John Pedersen attended the national schools of Norway until
he reached the age of thirteen, when he became a sailor, and until he reached the age
of twenty-nine he followed a seafaring life, during which period he visited many
foreign ports and saw much of the world. He has traveled over the West Indies and



376 HISTORY OF COLORADO

the East Indies, has visited Calcutta, India, Alexandria, Egypt, and Brazil and has
made trips around Cape Horn to Peru, to Valparaiso, Chile, and around the Cape of
Good Hope to various African ports. His experiences were indeed varied and interest-
ing and one delights to listen to his reminiscences of those days. He afterward sailed
on the Great Lakes for three seasons.

The year 1872 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Pedersen in America. He settled in
Detroit, Michigan, where he spent ten years, largely in the employ of the Canada
Southern Railroad. In 1882 he reached Colorado and for five years was one of the
employes at the Grant smelter in Denver. In 1886 he purchased the farm whereon
he has since resided and through the intervening period of almost a third of a century
he has given his attention to the further cultivation and development of the property
and has today a splendidly improved farm.

On the 5th of December, 1874, Mr. Pedersen was united in marriage to Miss
Berta Johansen, who was born in Norway, November 28, 1854. They became the
parents of five children but lost three sons while in Michigan. The others are Burton
Gilbert Nicolai and Jennie Louise. The son is now serving in the United States army
and the daughter is the wife of Fred Purse. Mrs. Pedersen died on March 25, 1916,
and her demise caused deep sorrow not only to her immediate family but also to the
many friends whom she had won to her by her delightful, endearing personality. She
was ever helpful to her neighbors and took a great and actual interest in the welfare
of others, her unselfish sunshiny nature manifesting itself in practical ways of
assistance, bringing solace to many in hours of distress and sorrow.

Mr. Pedersen gives his political support to the republican party, of which he is a
stanch advocate. He has been an active worker in behalf of the public schools and
Mrs. Pedersen served for years as president of the school board in their district.
Mr. Pedersen commands the unqualified respect and confidence of those who know
him and he has a wide acquaintance in Adams county. He has led a most busy, useful
and active life, giving his entire attention to his agricultural pursuits since 1886,
and the result of his labors is seen in the well developed farm with its excellent im-
provements and modern equipment.



PATRICK MURPHY.



For nearly a half century Patrick Murphy has devoted his attention to agricultural
pursuits in Douglas county and is tlierefore numbered among its honored pioneers. He
now owns eleven hundred and sixty acres of land, from which he derives a gratifying
income, and his property has greatly increased in value through his incessant labors.
He has made many improvements upon his place, his enterprising spirit and industry
leading to the success which he now enjoys.

Mr. Murphy, born March 16, 1821, is a native of Ireland, where he spent his life
until 1864. when he decided upon emigration to America and came to this country,
his port of arrival being Jersey City, New Jersey, where he joined his brother, who
had come to America two years previously. However, Mr. Murphy of this review was
not satisfied to stay on the Atlantic shore and he tlierefore soon left Jersey City and
made his way to Tennessee, in which state he made his home for a few years, and from
there he migrated to Kansas. Pollowing the westward trend, he remained in that state,
however, for only a year and then came to Colorado, where he arrived in the Arkansas
valley in 1S70. In that year he came to Table Rock, this state, and this has ever since
remained his home. He took up a homestead in 1870 and as he prospered on his holding
added to his land until he now owns eleven hundred and sixty acres. He built a log-
house in 1870 and in that same dwelling he still resides and it is yet in a very good
state of preservation. Mr. Murphy devotes his land to general farming and also has
important live stock interests, having one hundred head of cattle and also eight horses.

Interesting are the stories which Mr. Murphy can relate of the early days when the
Indians still roamed over the country in bands several hundred strong, making their
living as they went by fishing and hunting. Game was then plentiful and antelope
could be seeii by the thousands on the plains. Mr. Murphy ever had the knack of
getting along well with the red men and serious trouble never threatened him from
that source. Treating them generously and justly and leaving them alone as much as
possible, he was never molested by them, as he never interfered in their affairs. Mr.
Murphy is known far and wide in Douglas county and has practically attained to his-
torical significance in his part of the state, living still in his loghouse at an age of
ninety-eight years. He may be seen today or any day chopping wood and making his



378 HISTORY OF COLORADO

own fire in his fireplace, now, liowever, having with him most of the time a man who
assists in working the land. At a recent date when Mr. Murphy was interviewed his
helper had been taken ill and he was therefore alone in looking after his stock and
horses, still being quite able to take care of all the interests connected with the work
of the farm.



HARRY S. THAYER.



Harry S. Thayer, a mining engineer who since 1915 has practiced his profession
at Boulder, was born in Greeley, Colorado, in 1880. His father, Eugene R. Thayer, a
native of Massachusetts, was born near Boston in the year 1852 and resided there
through the period of youth and early manhood. After arriving at adult age he
wedded Mary W. Stanley, a native of Boston, and in 1876 they removed westward to
Colorado, taking up their abode in Greeley, where they have since made their home,
covering a period of forty-two years. The father became one of the pioneer cattle
men of Colorado but is now engaged in business in Greeley.

Harry S. Thayer attended the public schools of Greeley after which he matricu-
lated in the University of Colorado at Boulder and won the Bachelor of Science degree
upon graduation with the class of 1902. He later did post-graduate work in Columbia
College in New York in 1902 and 1903, after which he returned to Colorado, practicing
his profession of mining engineering in this state since that time. In 1915 he estab-
lished his home and office in Boulder and from this point has directed his efforts.
His ability in the line of his chosen profession is pronounced and he is accorded a
liberal clientage.

On the 18th of June, 1902, in Boulder, Colorado, Mr. Thayer was joined in wedlock
to Miss Mary Elizabeth Brown, a daughter of the late Walter T. Brown, who was
born in Pennsylvania. They have three children, Elizabeth, Barbara and Mary.
Mr. Thayer votes with the republican party, and while he keeps well informed on
the questions and issues of the day, he does not seek nor desire office, preferring to
concentrate his efforts and attention upon his business affairs. He is a member of
the Boulder Club and possesses a social nature which makes for personal popularity
among his wide acquaintance.



BERNARD ROI DESJARDINS.

Bernard Rol Desjardins, a prominent contractor and builder and one of the old-
time residents of Colorado, now living in Denver, was born in Quebec, Canada, Novem-
ber 8, 1857, a son of Captain David and Eleanor (Ouilette) Desjardins. The father, a
native of France, crossed the Atlantic to Canada in early life. He was a shipbuilder in
that country and later worked along the same line in various parts of the world but
ultimately returned to Canada.

Bernard Desjardins was the youngest in a family of seven children. He attended
the public schools of his native country and afterward learned the carpenter's trade,
at which he began working when a youth of fifteen years. He was classed as a mechanic
and he developed considerable skill and ability along mechanical lines. Leaving home,
he removed to Burlington, Vermont, where he worked as a mechanic for a year and
In 1880 came to Colorado, making his way to Port Collins, where he conducted business
as a contractor and builder, securing the contract for the erection of the courthouse
at that place. He remained in Fort Collins for seven years and then sought the broader
field of labor offered in Denver. He devoted five years to architectural work and later
again took up contracting, erecting many of the present fine buildings of the city.

On the 5th of February, 18S4, Mr. Desjardins was married to Miss Eleanor Purcell,
of Fort Collins, and they became the parents of nine children. Leo A., the eldest, born
at Fort Collins, was graduated from the Denver high school, attended Cornell University,
where he pursued a special course in architecture, and is now well known as a represen-
tative of that profession. May E., born in Port Collins, was graduated from the high
school and the Colorado State Teachers College, after which she spent two years as a
student in Columbia University of New York and is now a successful public school
teacher. Clotilda C. born in Denver, is now the wife of Dr. W. P. Russell, Ph. D., B. A.,
dean of education at the University of Iowa, but at the present time in Russia as a
representative of the United States government. To Dr. and Mrs. Russell have been




BERNARD ROI DESJARDINS



380 HISTORY OF COLORADO

born three children: William F., Jr., James R. and Bernard Robert. Elise, born in
DenA'er, attended the public schools. Joseph Bernard, born in Denver, is a graduate of
the city high school and is now in France with the American army. He fought in
the battle of Chateau Thierry, which according to military experts turned the tide
of war, and also in the battle of St. Mihiel. Regina and Virginia, twins, are the next
in the family, and both were graduated from the high school of Denver and are now
students in the University of Iowa. John Louis, born in Denver, is attending college
at St. Marys, Kansas. Richard Jerome, born in Denver and attending school in this
city, completes the family.

In politics Mr. Desjardins maintains an independent attitude. He is a member of the
Denver Athletic Club, the Lakewood Golf Club, the Rotary Club and the Mountain
Club. He is very fond of outdoor life and mountain climbing and at the age of sixty-
one years he made the entire ascent of Mount Evans, walking thirty-one miles on the
trip. His long residence in Denver, the importance of his work and his individual
traits of character have gained him prominence and he stands high in the business
life of the state.



EDWARD J. WECKBACH.



Edward J. Weckbach, one of the organizers and the cashier of the Hamilton
National Bank of Denver, was born in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, on the 7th of February,
1874, a son of J. V. and Mary K. (Guthmann) Weckbach. The father came to the
United States prior to the Civil war and devoted his life to merchandising, remaining
for many years a valued resident of Plattsmouth, Nebraska. Both he and his wife
have now passed away. Their family numbered eleven children, nine of whom are
living.

Of these Edward J. Weckbach pursued his education in the schools of his native
town and Omaha, Nebraska, where he completed a high school course with the class of
1888. He then turned his attention to the banking business in Lincoln, becoming
identified with the Columbia National Bank, in which he was employed for six years.
On the expiration of that period he removed to Cripple Creek, Colorado, and was
employed in the Dave Moftat Bimetallic Bank as assistant cashier for six years. Later
he went to the Colorado National Bank, where he occupied the position of paying teller
for seven years, and afterward he removed to Curtis, Nebraska, where for two and
a half years he ably filled the position of cashier of the State Bank of Curtis. His
next business connection brought him to the Hamilton National Bank, which he aided
in organizing and of which he has continuously been the cashier. He is a courteous
and obliging official and his efforts have contributed in no small measure to the
success and upbuilding of this institution.

In 1907 Mr. Weckbach was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Hanford and
they have become parents of two childrren, Hanford and Elizabeth, aged respectively
eight and four years, the former now in school. The parents are members of St.
Elizabeth's church, and Mr. Weckbach gives his political allegiance to the republican
party, but while he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day he
has never been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his efforts and attention
upon his business affairs. He is interested in farming near Denver, where he owns
two good tracts of land, while at the same time he is capably filling the office of cashier
of the Hamilton National Bank. His progress has been steady and continuous since
he made his initial step in the business world and each forward step has brought him
a broader outlook and wider opportunities, which he has carefully and intelligently
utilized.



WILLIAM A. LAFFERTY.



William A. Lafferty is the owner of an excellent ranch of one hundred and seventy
acres in Jefferson county which he purchased in 1912. Previous to this time he had
been engaged in railroad contract work and his entire career has been characterized
by unwearied industry and perseverance in anything that he has undertaken. He is
numbered among the citizens that Illinois has furnished to Colorado, his birth having
occurred near Alexis, in Mercer county, of the former state, on the 25th of February,
1863. He is a son of Jonathan and Maria (Lafferty) Lafferty. The father was a soldier



HISTORY OF COLORADO 381

in the Civil war, serving as a member of Company E, One Hundred and Second Illinois
Volunteer Infantry.

Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, William A. Lafferty pursued
his education by attendance at the district and high schools to the age of nineteen
years. He afterward worked upon his father's farm and also in his father's lumber-
yard, thus receiving his initial business training. In the spring of 1887 he came to
Colorado, settling on the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in old Bent county.
In the spring of 1889 the county was divided. Mr. Latferty's land being situated in
that section which became Kiowa county, l/pon the division of the county he was
appointed to the office of county clerk and served in that position for two terms and
also for one term filled the office of county treasurer. He then turned his attention
to the contracting business, with headquarters at Pueblo, and was thus engaged for
five years. Removing his headquarters to Denver he continued in railroad contracting
in Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas and Oklahoma. He has not withdrawn altogether
from that line of business, but war conditions have made it nearly impossible to con-
tinue actively in that field, as railroad building has been practically suspended. In
1912 he purchased a ranch of one hundred and seventy acres in Jefferson county and
has since been conducting it with good success. He is an adaptable man, forceful
and resourceful in business and of unfailing energy.

On the 28th of April, 1889, Mr. Lafferty was married in Pueblo. Colorado, to Miss
Chrlstena F. Lawrence, a daughter of John and Christena Lawrence. Mrs. Lafferty
■was born, reared and educated in Holt county, Missouri. Mr. Lafferty is a republican
in his political views and is identified with the Woodmen of the World. The extent
and importance of his business interests have brought him prominently to the front
and throughout his entire career he has made good use of his time and the chances
for advancement. He has been connected with the development of the state along
agricultural lines and with its upbuilding as a factor in the promotion of its rail-
road interests, his efforts being ever of a character that have contributed to public
progress and prosperity as well as to individual success.



JERRY R. NOE.



A valuable farm property of three hundred and ninety-five acres pays tribute to
the care and labor bestowed upon it by the owner, Jerry R. Noe, now one ot the
successful ranchmen of Colorado, living three miles southwest of Larkspur, where he
carries on general agricultural pursuits and cattle raising. He was born on the banks
of the Ohio river in Indiana, August 19, 1861, a son of Isaac and Martha C. (Richards)
Noe. The father's birth occurred in Lexington, Kentucky, while the mother was born
in Indiana.

Jerry R. Noe acquired a common school education and after his textbooks were
put aside was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade when fourteen years of age and
devoted several years to horseshoeing and blacksmithing, becoming an expert work-
man in both branches of the business, which he followed for some time at Westport,
Kentucky. He abandoned those pursuits, however, for he found the work was too
heavy for him and in 1880 he left Kentucky and removed to Lawrence, Kansas, where
he spent one winter. He next came to Colorado with his brother William and in the
spring of 1881 took up his abode at Greenland, this state. He never used his home-
stead right but cultivated rented farms for sixteen years or until 1897, when with the
capital acquired through his industry and economy he purchased land, upon which
he now resides, three miles southwest of Larkspur. While his possessions now include
three hundred and ninety-five acres, he formerly had more extensive holdings but
two years ago sold three hundred and twenty acres of his place. He has a good ranch,
on which he raises from one hundred to one hundred and fifty head of cattle, vfe
also has a timothy meadow of seventy-five acres, which cuts from two to three hundred
tons of hay each season, and also an alfalfa meadow. Throughout all the period of
his residence here he has continued to do blacksmithing and horseshoeing for himself
and his neighbors and can repair anything in the line of iron or steel.

Mr. Noe has been married twice. In 1882 he wedded Addie Graves, of Indiana,
and they became the parents of four children. Isaac J., the eldest, married Claudie
Wilson and resides upon a homestead farm near Meeker, Colorado. Martha B. is the
wife of Ernest Bailey, who is conducting a creamery at Cherry, Colorado, and they
have one son, William. Arthur died at the age of twenty-four years. May is the wife
of John R. Bugge, who is now in France, having enlisted in an artillery company of



382 HISTORY OF COLORADO

the United States army in 1917. They have one son,- William. For his second wife
Mr. Noe chose Mary E. O'Brien, who was born in Iowa City, Iowa, and in 1873 came
to Colorado with her parents. Her father. Pleasant O'Brien, first made the trip to
this state in 1861 and spent one year in mining, after which he returned to Iowa,
where he continued to reside for a tew years. He then again came to Colorado in
1873 and located at Lake Gulch in Douglas county. He was born in Indiana, while
his wife, who bore the maiden name of Margaret Smith, was born in Ireland. Her
brother, John Smith, was the first white child born in Johnson county, Iowa. To the
second marriage of Mr. Noe four children have been born: Margaret, the wife of
Luther Johnson, living on a ranch near Meeker, Colorado, by whom she has one child,
Ellen; Pleasant, who is attending the high school at Castle Rock; and Walter and
Jerry, at home.

In his political views Mr. Noe has always been a democrat. He and his family
attend the Methodist church and are people of genuine worth, highly esteemed by
all who know them. They have many excellent traits of character and their aid and
influence is always given on the side of right, progress and improvement. Mr. Noe
is a self-made man and one who deserves much credit for what he has accomplished.
As the architect of his fortunes he has builded wisely and well.



REV. CHARLES HUGHES MARSHALL.

Rev. Charles Hughes Marshall, rector of St. Barnabas church in Denver, has long
been widely known not only as a prominent representative of the Episcopal ministry in
Colorado but also as a representative of one of the most honored and widely known
pioneer families of the state. He was born at Richmond, Missouri, November 10, 1849,
a son of General Francis J. and Mary R. (Williams) Marshall. The father was born
in Virginia, while his father was a native of Ireland, whence he came to America during
the Revolutionary war period. The mother was a niece of "Cerro Gordo" Williams, a



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 47 of 108)