Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 48 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 48 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

hero of the Mexican war, who afterward served as United States senator from Kentucky.

General Marshall was appointed governor of Kansas by President Buchanan dur-
ing the days of the bitter excitement attending the Kansas-Nebraska bill, but his
appointment was not confirmed. Leaving his old home in Virginia when twenty-one years
of age, he made his way first to Missouri and in 1852 went to Kansas, settling on the
Big Blue river. He established a trading post to cover the travel up and down that
river. General Kearney at that period was fighting the Indians in the west and
General Marshall became identified with the pioneer development of that region. The
place at which he settled was called Marysville in honor of his wife, while the county
was named Marshall in honor of the General. After the latter's death the county re-
quested the familly to send his remains to Marshall county, ottering to put up a
monument in his honor there, but at length a decision was reached against the removal.
The death of General Marshall occurred November 25, 1895, at the home of his son. Rev.
C. H. Marshall, and he was laid to rest in Riverside cemetery at Denver. His wife
passed away at Larchmont Manor, New York, a few years ago. She had been living there
with her daughter, Mrs. Edward Payson Call, whose husband is president of the New
York Commercial Company. Mrs. Call is the only daughter of the family and amongst
four sons Rev. Marshall is the only survivor.

General Marshall's connection with Colorado is one of intense interest, constituting
an important chapter in the history of the state. He reached Denver in 1859 and became
a member of the firm of D. D. Wliite & Company, freighters. Later he turned his atten-
tion to mining at Central City and became a partner of Colonel S. J. Mallory there.
He was a member of the famous club which had among its members Senator N. P. Hill,
John T. Herrick, George M. Pullman and many others who became famous in later
days. When the big silver discovery was made at Georgetown in 1866, General Marshall
went into that section. His prospector, Lynde, discovered the Colorado Central mine,
which became the biggest producer of silver in that entire region. General Marshall
planned and built the famous Marshall tunnel which, starting at Silverdale, pierced the
mines at the five hundred foot level. Much of the ore was at first sent to Swansea,
Wales, until Pierce came out and brought with him Uie process tor treating the ore. In
April, 1875. there was a memorable social event held— a dance being given in the mine
where the tunnel broke into it, the dancing chamber having been blasted out. It was
a famous affair. Harper's Weekly running a full-page picture of it. In 1879, General
Marshall sold both the tunnel and the mine, which had produced a great fortune for its




^J\AJ~^^VJ^^l^ {^?UiyiA<, /i/^o^^ %.icu>^U.,U£ UL. fi .



384 HISTORY OF COLORADO

owners. With the early development of the rich mineral resources of this state he
was closely and prominently associated and Marshall Pass was named in his honor.

The Reverend Charles H. Marshall was graduated from Racine College at Racine,
Wisconsin, in 1869. and in 1874 was ordained to the ministry of the Episcopal church
at Georgetown by Bishop Spalding after having studied for holy orders at Matthews Hall
in Golden under Bishop Randall. He was sent to Evanston, Wyoming, where he remained
for a few months and was then transferred to Eureka, Nevada. In 1877 he became
Episcopal rector at Georgetown, where he remained until May. 1880, when he became
rector of Trinity Memorial church at Twenty-sixth and Curtis streets in Denver. There
he remained until September, 1895. when he became rector of St. Barnabas church at
Thirteenth and Vine streets in Denver. Before he took charge it was a little mission
called Christ church. This popular neighborhood church has been built up through his
efforts. It was established with one hundred communicants and now has a member-
ship of two hundred and fifty. The work of the church has steadily grown and its
influence has been extended as a potent force in the moral development of the com-
munity.

Reverend Marshall was married to Miss Nellie B. Watts, of Cincinnati, and they
have become parents of two daughters and a son who are yet living. The eldest, Mrs.
Ralph H. Hathaway, has one daughter. Nelsine. The other daughter, Mrs. Albert S.
Brooks, whose husband is now general attorney for the Northwestern Railroad, has
four children: Charles Marshall, Nelda Elizabeth, Genevieve Knight and Jean Louise
Brooks. The son, Charles Avery Marshall, is with the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company.
He is married and has two sons, Charles Avery and Jack Pershing Marshall. Four
generations of the family have thus been represented in Colorado and the name has
ever figured conspicuously in connection with the history of its material and moral
development.



ROBERT D. HAIGHT.



Robert D. Haight, a man of genuine worth, highly respected by his friends and
neighbors, makes his home at Littleton, where he is now living retired, although in
former years he was closely connected with ranching interests. He was born in
Livingston county. New York, July 6, 1842, a son of Clark and Hannah (Stone)
Haight. He acquired a common school education and when twenty-one years of age
enlisted on the 18th of September, 1863, as a member of the Twenty-first New York
Cavalry, with which he served in various important engageii«nts, displaying marked
valor and courage when facing the enemy's bullets. After the war he was stationed
at the garrison, at Fort Collins and at Denver, until honorably discharged on the eth
of July, 1866. Later he engaged in freighting for a year between Denver and Cheyenne,
Wyoming, and then returned to the state of New York, where he again resided for a
year.

While there Mr. Haight was married and with his bride removed to Illinois,
where he resided for a year, after which he took up his abode on a farm at Columbus.
Kansas, where he lived for three years. He then became a resident of Douglas county,
Colorado, where he purchased a ranch which he still owns and which he now rents
to his son. For a long period he was closely identified with its development and
improvement, transforming it into a valuable farm property from which he annually
gathered large harvests and thus won substantial success that now enables him to
live retired. He owns the home which he now occupies in Littleton and also another
house and lot in the city, together with several vacant lots. He has now lived retired
for more than thirty years, enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly
deserves.

On the 22d of September, 1869, Mr. Haight was united in marriage to Miss Martha
A. Butler, of Livingston county, New York, a granddaughter of John Polhemus, who
served in the War of 1812, and a sister of John Butler, who served his country in
the Civil war and died in Libby prison. The living children of Mr. and Mrs. Haight
are given as follows. Grace is the wife of Edwin Hockaday, a ranchman residing
near Boulder, Colorado, and they have five children: Martha. Roy, Robert, Edmond
and Helen. Edith, a graduate of Dr. Place's sanitarium of Boulder, is now a trained
nurse of that city, following her profession there. George, a resident of San Francisco.
California, married Nellie Hudson and has four children: Gladys. Robert. Ruth and
Eleanor. Arthur R. married Nancy Hargis, resides upon the home farm and has three
children: Neal R., Harry and Eloise.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 385

Mr. Haight Is a member and the senior vice commander of John C. Fremont
Post, No. 83, G. A. R., of Littleton, and his wife is a very active and prominent member
of the Woman's Relief Corps which is the auxiliary of the post. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party and he and his family are members of the Presbyterian
church. They are people of sterling worth, enjoying the warm esteem of those who
know them, and Mr. Haight is held in the highest regard by all, friends and neighbors
speaking of him in terms of the deepest respect. He has ever been upright in busi-
ness, faithful in friendship and in matters of citizenship as true and loyal to his
country as when he followed the nation's starry banner on the battlefields of the south.



CHARLES HIER.



Charles Hier is the owner of a valuable farm property of seven hundred and twenty
acres, situated near Sedalia, in Douglas county, and is numbered among the representa-
tive agriculturists of his part of the state. He is a native son of Iowa, his birth having
occurred at Onawa in 1876. His parents were John and Minnie (Glause) Hier, both
of whom were natives of Germany.

The son spent his youthful days under the parental roof in Iowa and acquired his
education in the public schools near his father's home. He was early trained to farm
work and soon became familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring
for the crops. He devoted his life to farming in Iowa until 1903, when he removed
westward to Colorado, establishing his home near Sedalia. As the years have passed
he has won a place among the leading, substantial and representative farmers of his
county. His investments have been judiciously placed and he is now the owner of
seven hundred and twenty acres of good land, which he has greatly improved in many
ways. He has erected substantial buildings upon the farm, has brought his fields under
a high state of cultivation and has carried on every branch of the farm work along
most progressive lines so that his place has become one of the attractive features
of the landscape.

In 1903 Mr. Hier was united in marriage to Miss Grace Curtis, a daughter of
Charles and Elizabeth Hepburne (Mitchelson) Curtis and a granddaughter of Captain
H. H. Curtis, who came to America from England in 1871, bringing with him a
family of nine children, whom he took to Colorado, making the journey across the
country with ox teams. To Mr. and Mrs. Hier have been born six children of whom
five are living, Minnie, Douglas, Allen, Archie and Margaret. Edith passed away
in infancy. The parents and the children all attend the Episcopal church.

In his political views Mr. Hier is a democrat and keeps well informed on the ques-
tions and Issues of the day. He belongs to the Grange and the Patrons of Husbandry
and is interested in all that has to do with the progress and welfare of his com-
munity along political, social, intellectual, material and moral lines.



GEORGE A. ALLEN.



The agricultural development of Jefferson county has been well represented by George
A. Allen, who is actively and profitably engaged in farming and stock raising. His entire
career has been characterized by energy and determination and he has never allowed
obstacles or difficulties to bar his path but has regarded them as an impetus for
renewed effort on his part. A native of Ireland, Mr. Allen was born on the 4th of
February, 1876, a son of Andrew and Sarah (Fawcett) Allen, both of whom were
natives of the Emerald isle, whence they came to America in 1880. They made their
way across the country to Lincoln, Nebraska, and there the father engaged in the
cattle business. He successfully conducted his interests for a long period and in 190S
passed away. His widow survives and is yet living in Nebraska. In their family
were six children, all of whom are living,

George A. Allen was but four years of age when brought to the new world. His
youthful days were spent in Nebraska and at the usual age he became a pupil in
the public schools, mastering the branches of learning that constitute the work of
the grades and of the high school. He continued upon the home farm until he had
attained his majority and gained valuable experience, which has been of great worth
to him in later years. On reaching adult age, however, he took up railroad contracting,
which he has since followed. The major part of his time and attention, however, is



386 HISTORY OF COLORADO

now given to his agricultural interests, his farm, whereon he resides, comprising three
hundred and fifty acres of excellent land, all under the ditch. He has greatly improved
the property by the erection of fine buildings and he has added many of the equip-
ments of the model farm of the twentieth century. He cultivates the crops best adapted
to soil and climate and each year gathers substantial harvests. He also makes a spe-
cialty of stock raising, giving his preference to Holsteins. He is likewise one of the
stockholders in an implement company and is a representative and progressive busi-
ness man in whose vocabulary there is no such word as fail. He is actuated by a
determined spirit in all that he undertakes and he never stops short of the successful
accomplishment of his purpose.

In 1905 Mr. Allen was married to Miss Effie E. Gager and to them were born
three children, Marie, George Lawrence and William. The wife and mother passed
away March 2, 1915, and was laid to rest in the Brown Hill cemetery.

In his political views Mr. Allen is a republican, content to exercise his right of
franchise in support of the men and measures of the party without seeking office as
a reward for party fealty. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and with the
Elks and is a loyal follower of the beneficent teachings of these organizations. During
a residence of nineteen years in Colorado he has become widely and favorably known,
establishing his position as a substantial and thoroughly reliable business man and as
a progressive citizen.



HENRY B. HICKS.



In the death of Henry B. Hicks on October 8, 1918. Larimer county lost one of its
foremost citizens and an enterprising agriculturist who had greatly contributed toward
development and upbuilding. Moreover, he was interested in milling and dairying
enterprises and in his various business connections set valuable standards which others
have since successfully followed. He was ever a public-spirited citizen and his memory
remains with his many friends, who recognized in him a man of the highest qualities
of character. His farm property was located four miles north of Loveland, in Larimer
county, and there he developed through years of labor, and serious endeavor and un-
flagging enterprise a property which stood as a monument to his enduring qualities.

Born in Michigan, June 28, 1866, Mr. Hicks was a son of Calvin and Maryett
(Hoyt) Hicks. The Hoyt family originally came from England. The father throughout
his life has successfully followed farming. He is a native of Michigan and still makes
his home in that state but his wife passed away in 1892.

Henry B. Hicks was reared under the parental roof, amid farm conditions, and
from his parents received his first lessons in regard to life's conduct. Early in his
boyhood honorable principles were implanted into him and these have ever guided
his life's course. In the acquirement of an education he attended the schools of
Michigan and subsequently assisted his father with the farm work until he came of
age. Having heard glowing reports in regard to the opportunities awaiting a young
man in the far west, he decided upon removal to Colorado in order to take advantage
of these favorable conditions and in 1886 arrived in this state, being, moreover, induced
to come here by the state of his health, which at that period was not of the best. He
took up a preemption claim in Elbert county, in the eastern part of the state, and upon
this he proved up, making the required improvements. Thence he went to Weld
county, where fjr one season he rented land, and then proceeded to the locality near
Evans, where for three years he rented land. Having accumulated sufficient capital,
he was then enabled to purchase sixty acres of land near Evans, which he operated
quite successfully for three years, selling at the end of that period and coming to
Larimer county, where he bought the place which is still the property of the family
and which comprises forty acres. He immediately set to work to improve the land,
and giving due consideration to its adaptability for fruit raising purposes, set out a
large apple orchard of three hundred trees on the place. Seven acres were planted
to cherries and from this source also he received a substantial income, in fact Mr.
Hicks became one of the leaders in the fruit business in his district. In this connec-
tion it may be mentioned as remarkable that part of the cherry orchard is on dry land.
The balance, however, is irrigated and this fruit farm he operated until his death.
He ever readily embraced the newest ideas and methods in horticulture, carefully studied
propagation as well as local climatic and soil conditions and thus became one of the
foremost agriculturists in Larimer county. In 1905 Mr. Hicks also took up a home-
stead claim in Las Animas county, upon some of which he proved up. The original



388 HISTORY OF COLORADO

claim comprised three hundred and twenty acres. For some time he operated this
farm himself but subsequently rented the place to his son. who still conducts this
enterprise.

On October 2, 1S92, Mr. Hicks was united in marriage to Mary Eva Fetters, a
daughter of Casper and Anna (Haines) Fetters, natives of Missouri, in which state
Mrs. Hicks was also born, her natal day being December 9, 1876. Mr. Fetters was a
successful agriculturist and operated a farm in Missouri until 1885. when he took a
westward course, making his way to Nebraska, where he remained for three years.
He then decided upon another removal and came to Colorado, locating in Weld county,
where he rented land, so continuing for some time. Finally he made his home with
Mr. and Mrs. Hicks, residing with them on the Hicks farm until his demise in Janu-
ary, 1907. His widow survives and is now residing in Loveland. To Mr. and Mrs.
Hicks were born eight children: Bernice and Ethel M., both at home; Theron, who
served his country in the army and is now on the ranch in Las Animas county; and
Floyd M., Laveda, Howard, Opal and Calvin, all yet at home.

Mrs. Hicks and her children still make the farm their home, all contributing toward
its development. She has ably taken up the reins which have dropped from her hus-
band's hands, courageously undertaking to provide for her large family. She is a
woman highly esteemed and admired not only because she has shown rare business
acumen but also because she excells in those feminine traits which make her beloved
by all who come in contact with her.

Mr. Hicks besides his ranching and fruit interests was also a stockholder in the
Farmers Mill at Kelim, Colorado, and also operated a dairy very successfully for three
years. In politics he was a republican and his religious faith was that of the Church
of God. In him there passed away a public-spirited and valuable citizen who not only
stood high because of his individual success but also because he ever typified in his
career helpfulness toward his 'fellowmen as well as other qualities which make for
general advancement along intellectual, moral and material lines. His death caused
gfeneral - sorrow and his memory is cherished by all who knew him.



JAMES RICHARD DE REMER.

The life record of tew Illustrates so clearly the possibilities for individual achieve-
ment as does that of James Richard De Remer, whose entire career was marked by
a steady progression that brought him fame and notable success as a civil engineer
and railway contractor. His sound judgment, too, wjis manifest in his judicious and
extensive investments in real estate, which enabled him to leave his family in most
prosperous circumstances. Colorado's development and upbuilding is attributable in
no small measure to his efforts in railroad construction, which opened up the west
to the settlement of hundreds of people. The story of his life indeed contains much
that is inspirational.

Carbon county, Pennsylvania, claimed James Richard De Remer as a native son.
He was there born in April, 1847, and spent the first sixteen years of his life at the
place of his birth, when, in response to the country's call for troops to aid in the
preservation of the Union, he joined Company H, of the Forty-seventh Pennsylvania
Volunteers, with which he served until the close of the war. He participated in the
battles of Perryville, Winchester and other engagements of the Shenandoah valley, and
following the general surrender of Confederate troops, he acted as a detective on the
staff of General Gerry.

For a year after the close of the war Mr. De Remer was a student in a college at
Poughkeepsie, New York. He then made his way to the middle west and at Oswego,
Illinois, took charge of a division of the Fox River Railroad, remaining at that place
until 1868, in which year he removed to Springfield, Missouri, and became connected with
the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, having charge of the laying out of new towns. He
was thus employed until 1869, when he entered into active connection with the Kansas
Pacific Railroad, which was building its line to Denver. In this connection a contem-
porary biographer has written: "General W. J. Palmer had been construction engineer
of that road and had projected the Denver & Rio Grande to skirt the foot of the moun-
tains to Old Mexico, and in 1870 Mr. De Remer joined that company. He began as rod-
man, but in two years had become assistant chief engineer.

"It was during his connection with the Denver & Rio Grande that the memorable
struggle began between General Palmer and the management of the Santa Fe road to
secure control of the Grand Canon of the Arkansas. It amounted to practically a small



HISTORY OF COLORADO 389

war and the result of the victory for the Rio Grande was due in large measure to J. R.
De Remer. It was an important highway to the mining camps and has become a high-
way across the continent. It is related that at one time De Remer and a party of
engineers swam the Arkansas river at a time when it was filled with floating ice in
order to defeat the forces of the opposition. The manager of the Santa Fe offered
a reward of ten thousand dollars for his taking, dead or alive. He put to flight by a
sliower of stones and rocks a deputy sheriff and twenty men who had come to serve him
with a process."

The year 1885 witnessed the severance of Mr. De Remer's connection with the Denver
& Rio Grande and following his resignation he traveled for a time owing to ill health.
In March of that year President Cleveland appointed him register of the land office at
Leadville, but he resigned the following June, although his resignation was not accepted
until a year later. He resumed his active connection with railroad building in the fall
of 1885, when he took a contract in connection with the construction of the Colorado
Midland road. Before completing the line, however, he had obtained a more important
contract with the Denver & Rio Grande and subsequently he contracted to build the
Denver, Texas & Fort Worth road, now a part of the Colorado & Southern system.
He succeeded in constructing the road from Trinidad to the New Mexico line and
built various side-lines into the timber and coal camps in Huerfano and Las Animas
counties. The company of which Mr. De Remer was the head did a large contracting
business in various parts of the country for a number of years. He was also the
builder of the first opera house of any size in Pueblo. As his financial resources
increased he made extensive investments in real estate in various sections of Colo-
rado and his property holdings were large at the time of his demise.

Mr. De Remer was united in marriage in 1886 at Washington, D. C, to Miss Anna
M. Roche, and they became the parents of two sons and a daughter, Leslie L., Allen
T. and Lonnetta, who, with the mother, survive the death of the husband and father,
which occurred in July, 1905. He had for sixteen years been a resident of Denver,
occupying a beautiful home at No. 1435 Pearl street. He was devoted to the welfare
of his family, finding his greatest happiness in promoting the interests of his wife
and children. He was also a man of most charitable spirit and was continually ex-
tending a helping hand to assist other travelers on life's journey. He knew from
experience that there are many obstacles and difficulties to overcome on the highroad to
success. Having started out empty-handed, he early came to realize the value of indus-
try and determination as factors in the attainment of prosperity. He worked on,
achieving wealth through individual worth and ability, and the most envious could
not grudge him his prosperity, so honorably was it gained and so worthily used.



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 48 of 108)