Philip Roach, who is engaged in ranching in Douglas county, was born at Taunton,
Massachusetts, May 24, 1850, a son of James and Ann (Mulligan) Roach, both of whom
were natives of Ireland. Coming to the new world, they settled first in New England
and in 1857 removed with their family to Whitewater, Wisconsin, Philip Roach being at
that time a lad of seven summers. He attended the common schools near his father's
home in Wisconsin and was a young man of twenty-five years when in 1875 he made
his way to the west. For about a year he resided in southern Colorado and in 1876
came to Douglas county, where he entered the employ of the Denver & Rio Grande
Railroad. He continued to serve that corporation and also the Atchison, Topeka &
Santa Fe Railroad Company as section foreman for seventeen years. Since then he
has been living upon the ranch, part of the time leasing the place to others and part
of the time operating it himself.
Mr. Roach was married first in Wisconsin to Miss Mary Kelly and to them were
born two sons. Philip F., the elder, has for a number of years been in the United
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
States revenue service and has patrolled both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. He was
captain on a yacht somewhere in the submarine zone off the English coast, having
been thus engaged in the war from its declaration until its end. His duties in this
connection have now drawn to a close since Germany has turned over her submarines
to her conquerors. William J. is an expert electrician and is with the Western Electric
Company, his duties alternating between New York city and Washington, D. C.
Having lost his first wife, Mr. Roach was married to Louise Cook, a daughter of
David and Sophie (Bowman) Cook. Her father was a pioneer of Douglas county,
having homesteaded the ranch whereon Mr. and Mrs. Roach now reside, securing this
390 HISTORY OF COLORADO
property about 1S64. From her father Mrs. Roach inherited the land. Her mother,
who is still living, is now past seventy years of age. To Mr. and Mrs. Roach have
been born two children. David J., who married Katharine Higgins, of Kansas City,
and has one child, Mary Louise, is now assistant to the general manager of the Great
Western Sugar Company of Denver. Anna R. is the wife of A. F. Gillis, of Arlington,
New Jersey, who is with the Du Pout Powder Company. They have two children,
Mary L. and Philip H.
In his political views Mr. Roach is a democrat, having supported the party since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise, but he has never been an oflSce seeker.
Fraternally he is connected with Sedalia Lodge, No. 142, I. 0. 0. F. He has led a
busy life in which there have been few idle hours. Working steadily and persistently,
he has advanced step by step and is today actively and successfully engaged in the
cultivation of the home ranch.
Thomas Harris, a retired farmer living in Boulder county, was born in the southern
part of Wales on the 12th of January, 1849, a son of James and Lettisa (Phillips)
Harris, who were also natives of the little rock-ribbed country in which their son's
birth occurred. They came to America in 1855 and settled ' in Pennsylvania, where
both passed away. They had a family of eleven children, of whom Thomas is the
eldest, while the others are: Enoch; James; Elizabeth, the wife of Samuel Aley;
Jennie, who gave her hand in marriage to M. L. Metheny; Sadie, who is the widow
of Samuel Whan Sharp, of Beaver county. Pennsylvania; George; John B., residing
in Beaver county, Pennsylvania; Rachel, who is the wife of Richard Calhoun; Mary
L., the wife of W. M. Harmon; and Ella, who is the wife of Frank Main Mann, of
Beaver county, Pennsylvania.
Thomas Harris was but six years of age when his parents crossed the Atlantic
with their family, and was reared and educated in Pennsylvania, where he attended
the common schools. In 1878 he came to Colorado, settling in Boulder county, where
he engaged in coal mining for several years. In 1885 he purchased the farm whereon
he still resides, securing eighty acres of land, all of which is under irrigation. He has
since improved the property with fine buildings, and all modern equipment and acces-
sories of the model farm of the twentieth century. He continued personally to develop
and cultivate his fields until recent years, when he retired to enjoy a well earned
rest. His farm is underlaid with rich veins of coal and he is now receiving a nice
royalty from the mines.
In 1883 Mr. Harris was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Yarian, a native of
Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Benjamin and Saloma (Miller)
Yarian, who were natives of Ohio. In that state they were married but afterward
removed to Pennsylvania, where they spent their remaining days. On the 22d of
December, 1918. Mr. Harris was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died
as the result of a stroke of paralysis.
Mr. Harris is well known in Boulder county, where he has an extensive circle of
warm friends. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party but lie has never
been an ofBce seeker, preferring to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his busi-
ness affairs. In the early days of his connection with farming in Boulder county he
handled a large herd of cattle, keeping from one hundred to one hundred and twenty-
five head yearly, and his unfaltering industry and enterprise have been the salient
features in winning for him the substantial success which is today his. He is a con-
sistent member of the Congregational church of Lafayette.
STANLEY M. WALKER.
Stanley M. Walker, prominently identified with mining throughout Colorado and
an expert mining engineer whose ability is known throughout the country, is now
president of the Cadiz Mining Company and the Colorado Consolidated Metals Mining
Company of Denver and is identified with several other mining corporations of equal
importance. Denver numbers him among her native sons. He was born on the 1st
of October, 1887, a son of Dr. James M. and Caroline (Moses) Walker. The father was
born in Virginia, while the mother's birth occurred in Winchester, Illinois, to which
392 HISTORY OF COLORADO
state he had remover] in early manhood. He there enlisted for volunteer service in
the Civil war and continued an active participant in the federal army until the close
of hostilities. After his return to private life he married and later he took up the
study of medicine in the St. Louis Medical College of St. Louis, Missouri, from which
he was graduated with honors. In the early '80s he came to Denver, where he opened
an office and established himself in practice. He soon became a leading and successful
physician and surgeon of the city and after many faithful years of service as a rep-
resentative of the practice of medicine and surgery he retired from active life and is
now enjoying well earned rest, honored and respected by colleagues, contemporaries
and all who have known him. During his active professional career he was chief
medical examiner and adviser for many of the large insurance companies and promi-
nent business concerns of Colorado. His wife passed away in 1912, at the age of
fifty-six years. There were but two children in the family, the elder being Colonel
James Frederick Walker, who was born In Denver, is a graduate of Yale University
and of the West Point Military Academy and is now a member of the regular army.
Stanley M. Walker, the younger son, attended public schools of Denver and also
the Tome Institute, a preparatory school of Maryland. After leaving the latter he
decided to take up mining and to obtain practical experience rather than college
training along that line. With that end in view he became connected with various
mining companies of old Mexico, remaining there for three years, after which he
returned to Denver and entered the School of Mines at Golden. He was graduated
therefrom in 1911, after which he again entered the practical field, being identified
with mining in various parts of the state and locating a number of properties which
have since developed into valuable mines. He was appointed superintendent of mines
for the Monarch Madonna Mining Company, remaining in that position in 1912 and
1913. He was next made superintendent of the Frisco Tunnel Company and manager
of the Monte Cristo Mining Company, so continuing through 1914, when he resigned
to take charge and act as consulting engineer of the Monarch Madonna mines and other
properties, with which he was connected through the years 1915 and 1916. While thus
engaged he also devoted some time to the private practice of his profession as a con-
sulting and mining engineer, carrying on the examination of properties and acting as
consulting engineer in regard to many important mining problems. In January,
1916, he was given the management of the Cadiz Mining Company of Rico, Colorado,
continuing in that connection through 1917, when he was elected to the presidency
of the company, which owns a lead, zinc and silver property. Efficiency In the various
departments brought him to the position of president and he is also the president
of the Colorado Consolidated Metals Mining Company and of the Western Colorado
On the 11th of June, 1912, in Denver, Mr. Walker was married to Miss Emma
Thayer Ohl, a daughter of the Rev. John Wallace Ohl, and they have become parents
of three children: Caroline Amy, who was born in Salida, Colorado, in 1913; Emma
Josephine, who was born in Denver, January 1, 1915; and Stanley Moses, born in
Denver on August 7, 1918.
Mr. Walker is a member of several Greek letter fraternities, including the Beta
Theta Pi and the Theta Tau, an honorary engineering fraternity. He is also a mem-
ber of the Lakewood Country Club and along strictly scientific lines has connection
with and is a member of the American Institute of ilining Engineers and the American
Mining Congress. His interest and activity have always centered in his profession
and the passing years have marked his growing ability as the result of his broadening
experience and practical training. He has today attained a place of prominence and
his name is widely known in mining circles throughout the country.
HENRY HARPER McINROY.
Henry Harper Mclnroy is now the owner of what Is known as the Twin Spring
ranch, situated on Plum creek in Douglas county, and, moreover, he Is one of the
native sons of that county, his birth having occurred near Castle Rock on the 23d of
Jlay, 1877. He is a son of Patrick and Amelia (Curtis) Mclnroy, the former a native
of Scotland, while the latter was born in Australia. She was a daughter of Captain
Henry Harper Mclnroy was born and reared on his father's homestead near Castle
Rock and the common school system of the county afforded him his early educational
opportunities, while later he spent a year as a student in the State Agricultural Col-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 393
lege at Fort Collins. The training there received has been of great benefit to him in the
conduct of his ranching interests, as he has put his theoretical knowledge to the
practical test. For three years he was engaged in ranching in Douglas and El Paso
counties and then went to Cripple Creek, where he remained for two years, devoting
his time during that period to heavy teaming. He afterward engaged in teaming for
two years in Jefferson county and subsequently removed to northern Colorado, where he
devoted a year to similar work. He also spent one year on a ranch in Arapahoe county
and next went to Elbert county. Colorado, where he devoted three years to ranching.
Since that date he has again lived in Douglas county and has given his attention to
ranching in this part of the state. In 1917 he purchased his present place and thus
became owner of six hundred acres of rich and valuable land, known as the Twin Spring
ranch. This place is devoted to dairying and stock raising and is well adapted for both.
It is well watered, the valleys are extremely fertile and large crops of corn, wheat and
oats can be easily raised, while the mountain sides afford excellent pasturage for his
stock. The ranch is pleasantly situated on West Plum creek and the business is
wisely and carefully conducted.
On the 12th of October, 1912, Mr. Mclnroy was united in marriage to Miss Maude
Curtis, a daughter of Henry Curtis, a jeweler of Littleton and a son of Captain Curtis,
who was Mr. Mclnroy's grandfather in the maternal line. Mrs. Mclnroy is a high school
graduate. They are widely known in Douglas county and enjoy the warm regard of
all with whom they have been associated.
Mr. Mclnroy belongs to the Grange, P. 0. H., at Sedalia. His political endorsement
Is given to the democratic party and he has filled the office of deputy sheriff of Douglas
county for six years. He is always loyal in matters of citizenship and stands for those
interests and activities which constitute elements of the greatest progress in the life
of community, commonwealth or country.
J. G. EVANS.
For thirty-three years J. G. Evans has been connected with agricultural interests
near Table Rock, Colorado, where he now owns a valuable property comprising seventeen
hundred and fifty acres. His well improved ranch and good buildings stand as a
monument to his industry and progressive methods, which have led to the substantial
success that is now his. A native of Iowa. Mr. Evans was born in Allamakee county in
1856, a son of L. W. and Elizabeth (Shober) Evans. The father was born in Kentucky
and the mother in Pennsylvania, but early in life the young couple removed to a place
near Rochester, Minnesota, where they made their home for twelve years. Thence they
migrated to Wyandotte county, Kansas, where they remained for ten years, and for
the following five years were located in northwestern Missouri and there both the father
and mother spent their remaining days.
J. G. Evans was reared under the parental roof and was brought up amid farm sur-
roundings, assisting his father in the work of the fields until he was twenty-eight years
of age. when, in 1884, he came to Colorado. Having heard many favorable reports
in regard to the opportunities of the west, he decided upon this state, and in the fol-
lowing year homesteaded at Table Rock, where he has since devoted his attention to the
successful operation of his land. As his means increased he added to his holdings
until he now owns seventeen hundred and fifty acres. Much of the land is highly im-
proved and he also has added suitable buildings and instituted modern equipment, so
that his property is today considered one of the most valuable in his section of the
state. This gratifying success has been brought about entirely through his own labors,
his modern methods and his close application, and as his prosperity has been so honorably
won it is well merited, his career standing as an example of what can be accomplished
by an indomitable spirit, judiciously guided into practical channels.
In 1884 J. G. Evans was united in marriage to Elvina C. Evans, his first cousin, who
was born in Missouri and was there reared. In 1913, after twenty-nine years of happy
married life. Mrs. Evans was called to her final rest, being deeply mourned by her
sorrowing husband who in her lost a true helpmate; and by the many friends whom
she had made while a resident of Table Rock. Her endearing womanly qualities won
to her the hearts, of all who came in contact with her and in her community she left a
place which it has not been easy to fill.
Mr. Evans is numbered among the leading citizens of his community and in war
service work has taken a laudable and helpful part, giving much of his time to his
duties as chairman of the committee for Table Rock and vicinity in putting his town
J. G. EVANS
MRS. J. G. EVANS
From photo taken in 18S5
HISTORY OF COLORADO 397
over the top in Liberty Loan, Red Cross and Young Men's Christian Association cam-
paigns. Fraternally Mr. Evans is a Knight of Pythias, belonging to the lodge at Colo-
rado Springs. He has always enjoyed traveling and has made a number of trips to
the northwest and to the Pacific coast, being well acquainted with the points of interest
in this part of the country. He stands as a high type of a successful western ranchman
and loyal American citizen.
HENRY L. LOWELL.
Henry L. Lowell, well known and well liked in Douglas county, where he is engaged
in ranching, was born near Sedalia, February 9, 1S76, and has been a lifelong resident
of Douglas county. In connection with the sketch of his brother, C. H. Lowell, on
another page of this work, reference is made to his parents. He acquired a common
school education and after his textbooks were put aside was in business at Littleton
for twelve years, having charge of the Littleton Creamery during that period. He after-
ward spent a year on a ranch near Parker, Colorado, and then removed to his present
place of residence, which is known as the 0. V. ranch. For a number of years he
conducted this place in connection with John C. Murray, Jr., of Denver, but two years
ago bought out his partner's interest and now owns the property in his own name. The
ranch embraces five thousand acres of land and is one of the largest, it not the largest,
of privately owned ranches in Douglas county. It is a valuable property, splendidly
equipped and improved, and upon it he has five hundred head of full-blooded Hereford
cattle. His business interests are very extensive and most carefully and wisely con-
ducted and he is actuated by a spirit of enterprise and progress in all that he under-
takes. The ranch is situated on Plum creek and Mr. Lowell has his own irrigation
plant, irrigating several hundred acres. He has also planned to build an irrigation
project on the ranch that will include a reservoir to cover two hundred acres and
hold sufficient water to irrigate the valley for miles.
On the 7th of August, 1901, Mr. Lowell was married to Miss Maude Everett, who
pursued her education in a Denver convent and in the high school, from which she was
graduated. Mr. and Mrs. Lowell are members of the Episcopal church at Castle Rock.
Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason, belonging to the blue lodge at Sedalia and to
Colorado Chapter, No. 29, R. A. M., of Denver. He is also connected with Sedalia
Lodge, No. 142, I. 0. 0. F.; and with the Woodmen of the World at Castle Rock. His
political endorsement is given to the republican party but he has never been desirous
of holding office. He and his wife have traveled extensively in the United States,
making several trips to the Pacific coast as well as to the Atlantic seaboard. His
success has enabled them to have periods of leisure in which to enjoy such trips and,
moreover, his prosperity should serve to encourage and inspire others, for like the
great majority he had to start out in life without capital. However, he early recog-
nized the eternal principle that industry wins and industry became the beacon light of
his life. Centuries ago a Greek sage, Epicharmus, said; "Earn thy reward: the gods
give nought to sloth." The truth of this admonition Henry L. Lowell thoroughly
understood and his business career has been characterized by close application, well
defined plans promptly executed and indefatigable energy displayed in the accomplish-
ment of every purpose which he has undertaken. Douglas county indeed has reason
to number him among her most prominent citizens.
WILLIAM D. NASH.
William D. Nash is one of the early settlers of Colorado, well known in Denver,
where for many years he has made his home and conducted an undertaking and em-
balming business. He was born in Hudson Falls, New York, April 19, 1862, a son of
Harvey Bennett and Mary June (Dunham) Nash. The father was born at Dorset. Ver-
mont, while the mother's birth occurred at Hudson Falls. New York, where for many
years they resided, their last days being there passed. The father was engaged in the
furniture business and was one of the most highly respected citizens and substantial
merchants of that section. The early ancestors of the Nash family came from England,
the line being traced back to the year 1632.
William D. Nash was the youngest of a family of four children and in early life
was a pupil in the public schools of Hudson Falls, New York, while later he attended
398 HISTORY OF COLORADO
the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, New York. He was graduated on the
completion of an academic course when twenty-one years of age, after which he took
up the business of undertaking and embalming. He thoroughly learned the work and
became the active associate of his father in that business. He continued to reside in
the east until 18S9, when he came to Denver and for a time was employed as an
embalmer by the firm of Farmer & Hale, then well known undertakers of the city.
He remained in their employ until 1892, when he established business on his own
account and has since continued active in that field, being long recognized as one of
Denver's leading undertakers. He maintains a fine home mortuary known as the Nash
and he is today the third oldest in point of connection with the undertaking business
in the city. Ever carrying a carefully selected line of undertaking goods and supplies
and conducting the business along the most scientific lines, with the utmost care and
tact in funeral directing, he has built up his business to extensive proportions. He is
also one of the directors of the Capitol Hill State Bank.
In 1884 Mr. Nash was united in marriage to Miss Susie De Maugh, of Hudson Falls,
New York, a daughter of Charles and Emma De Maugh. They have two children:
Chauncey Harvey, who was born in Denver and died in 1898; and William D., who
was born in Denver in February, 1897, and is a graduate of the East Denver high
school. He is now in active service, being connected with the quartermaster's depart-
ment of the United States army at Fort Logan.
Mr. Nash is a Knight Templar and Shriner. He also belongs to the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks and to the Knights of Pythias and has membership in the
Denver Athletic Club and the Denver Motor Club, having served as president of the
latter for three years. He is also identified with the Sons of the American Revolution.
One of the representatives of the Nash family was Captain Moses Nash, who served
as a lieutenant and captain in the Revolutionary war. It was Thomas Nash who came
from England and settled at Hadley, Massachusetts, where he became a man of promi-
nence. In the maternal line William D. Nash is also descended from Revolutionary war
ancestry, for his mother's people came from England during the early colonization of
the new world.
The religious faith of Mr. Nash is that of the Episcopal church. His associations
indicate much of the nature of his interests and the rules which govern his conduct.
He stands at all times for progress and improvement for the individual and for the
community, and his aid and influence have ever been counted upon to further public
progress along all beneficial lines.
JOHN R. CAMPBELL.
For forty-six years John R. Campbell has resided upon the farm which he owns
and operates in Douglas county. His labors have resulted in the development of an
excellent property and although he has now reached the seventieth milestone on life's
journey he is still active in the work of the fields. He was born in Beaver county,
Pennsylvania, November 13, 1848. a son of Isaac and Nancy J. Campbell, the former a
native of Maryland, while the latter was born in Virginia. The ancestors of both came
over during early colonial days. The father was of Scotch lineage, while the mother
came of Scotch and Irish ancestry.
John R. Campbell pursued his education in the schools of Pennsylvania and the
year 1872 witnessed his arrival in Colorado, at which time he was a young man of
twenty-four years. He at once homesteaded in Douglas county and still owns the
property which he then acquired. The family holdings, including land owned by his
son and son-in-law, approximate six thousand acres. This is the largest family holding
in this part of Colorado. Corporations own as large tracts but no single family has as
large land ownership. Throughout all the intervening years Mr. Campbell has con-
tinued active in the work of the farm, which displays his skill and care in its excellent
appearance, its fine buildings and in its splendid improvements. He is thoroughly
posted on everything that pertains to agriculture and is an authority upon the care
and methods used in the breeding of horses and cattle. He has had extensive experience