fifteen years of age, and for a quarter of a century he followed railroad interests:,
Gradually he was advanced in that connection until he became traffic manager of
the Cripple Creek Railway. The next change in his business career brought him into
close relations with the McNeil-Penrose Company in connection with land development
enterprises and afterward he developed the Maxwell land grant in Mexico. He then
WOODFORD A. MATLOCK
36 HISTORY OF COLORADO
turned his attention to tlie oil business and is now fiscal agent for the Kinney Oil &
Refining Company. Each change that he has made in his business connections has
brought him a broader outlook and wider opportunities, marking a step forward in
In 1893 Mr. Matlock was united In marriage to Miss Jessica Shadony, of Jennings,
Indiana, and they have become the parents of four children. Their eldest son, Paul
B., born August 16, 1896, is now a lieutenant in the Twentieth Infantry, United States
Army, stationed at the present time at Fort Douglas. Woodford A., bearing the name
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
in the fourth generation, is a student in Princeton University of New Jersey with
the class of 1920. Bruce King, fourteen years of age, is a student in the Denver high
school. Jessica, a little maiden of nine summers, is also in school.
Mr. Matlock belongs to the Country Club, the Denver Athletic Club, to the Lake-
wood Country Club and to the Civic Association. He Is much interested in shooting,
golf and other sports, to which he turns for recreation when leisure permits. He
belongs to the Central Christian church and its teachings have guided him in all of
life's relations. As a member of the Civic Association he manifests his deep interest
in the welfare and, progress of Denver and its upbuilding along those lines which
are a matter of civic virtue and of civic pride. What he has accomplished represents
the fit utilization of his innate talents and his life record is indicative of the power
that may be developed in the individual through the exercise of effort.
ROSE KIDD BEERE, M. D.
Among various professional fields in which western women have rapidly forged
their way to the front in the past quarter of a century is that of medicine — and in this
line of work Dr. Rose Kidd Beere of Denver is among the most able.
She is nationally known through her activities in medical and charitable enter-
prises, and through her war service contributions during the Spanish-American con-
flict and tlie recent World war, of the efficient labor that is the result of her fine
physical strength and tremendous vitality, reinforced by a vivid personality.
After the battle of Santiago in 1898 Major Kidd, her father, a Civil war veteran,
wrote to her, "This is the first war of our country in which our family has no part.
I am too old and your boys are too young.
"Do you remember the sealed fruit can we found in the 'spring house,' after the
peach canning for the military nospitals in Indianapolis, at the close of the Civil
war — containing a few unpeeled peaches, some bits of broken blue dishes, and your
little china doll, minus an arm and a leg— your contribution of your treasures to the
returning 'Yanks' of that day — labeled 'From Rose to the Soldiers'?"
It was in answer to that communication that Dr. Beere wired: "You take care
of my boys and I'll represent our family in this war. I can't raise a regiment, or
carry a gun, but I can help nurse the men who do."
Dr. Beere wore a two-star service pin during the World war but neither son
represented by those stars did better work for America than their mother during
her term as representative of the Colorado Springs Red Cross, in Manila, in 1898-99.
Dr. Beere was born in Wabash, Indiana, a daughter of Meredith Helm and Milll-
cent (Fisher) Kidd, both of whom were natives of that state, her father being a
prominent member of tlie Indiana bar.
On the paternal side she is descended from English forebears. Sir Francis Drake
and the Corys, the Hampton and Jones families of Virginia, and the DeCamps of New
Y'ork, originally from Holland. On her mother's side she is descended from the Stearns
and Fishers of New England and the Ingersolls and Steelmans of New Jersey, the first
Frederick Steelman holding a large grant of land from the king in the sixteen hun-
dreds, including Great and Little Egg Harbors, and the country where Atlantic City
At the outbreak of hostilities between the North and South. Dr. Beere's father,
Meredith Kidd, organized the Thirteenth Indiana Battery, of which he was made cap-
tain. Subsequently he was transferred to the Eleventh Indiana Cavalry, with the rank
of major. The close of the war found him a lieutenant-colonel of infantry of an
After the war he was commissioned a major of the Tenth United States Cavalry.
Owing to frequent troubles with the Indians, the cavalry was kept on the frontier in
those days. Major Kidd was commanding officer at the time Fort Larned, Kansas,
was built and later was stationed at Fort Sill, then Indian Territory, now Oklahoma,
HISTORY OF COLORADO 37
and built Camp Supply. His name became linked with the development of the west
as that of a brave and fearless officer and an honored and respected man.
In the early '70s he resigned from the army and returned to Wabash. Indiana,
where he resumed the practice of law, in which he continued until his death in 1908.
The mother of Dr. Beere, Millicent Fisher, was a daughter of the Hon. Stearns
Fisher, who was one of three men to pledge their private fortune to equip the first
regiment that went from Indiana to the Civil war. He was a close friend and asso-
ciate of Governor Morton, the great war governor of that state. Mrs. Millicent Fisher
Kidd died at the family home in Wabash, Indiana, in 18S1, after twenty-four years of
happy married life. She was a woman of broad sympathies and beautiful character.
It was during the years of her early girlhood at frontier posts that Dr. Beere
acquired her love for the independence and freedom of western life. She recalls many
interesting incidents of those days; the spring raids of the lordly Cheyennes, the
thieving Kiowas and bloodthirsty Comanches, when they came down on the post picket
.lines or settler wagon trains, painted and be-feathered, their blankets flying, their
naked bodies weaving on their ponies, their war whoops shrilly echoing, to stampede
horses and secure supplies; the issue days at the posts when the wide circle of squat- ,
ting Arapahoes surrounded the huge piles of flour, sugar, bacon, and herds of ration
beef. She rode her pony with the officers and scouts when, buffalo or antelopes sighted,
a party would set out for fresh meat. She remembers a headquarters dinner given by
her father, to General Hancock and staff, at Fort Larned, before the railroad was
built, when the wild turkeys were served with snowbird stuffing and the decorations
were deer and antelope heads, with wolf and buffalo robes for souvenirs. She lived in
the heart of the excitement following the Beecher's Island fight and the Custer mas-
All these are childhood memories, but later, when married and living in New Mexico,
she was in the path of Geronimo's band, on its career of murder and devastation as it
swept through the southwest with General Miles on its trail, and a young second lieu-
tenant named Pershing, who was with the cavalry at that time.
Dr. Beere is the eldest of a family of five children: Edmund Stearns; Lelia
Christine (Mrs. Thomas A. Nottzger of Wichita, Kansas); Alice Mary, of Los Angeles,
California; and Dr. Helen Mcllvaine (Mrs. Thomas O., of Huntington, Indiana).
In her girlhood she attended the army post schools, and St. Mary's Academy,
of Leavenworth, Kansas, the well known girls' school of that day, later being gradu-
ated from the high school of her native city. "■
At Topeka, Kansas, in May, 1883, she became the wife of Edmund Burke Beere,
an attorney of Las Cruces, New Mexico, and a son of the Reverend Robert Beere, a
Presbyterian minister of Valparaiso, Indiana.
There were three sons of that marriage, all born in Las Cruces: Robert Morrison,
the eldest, a well known newspaper man; Donald Meredith, graduate of West Point
Military Academy and regular army man (a lieutenant-colonel of the Three Hundred
and Twenty-first Field Artillery, National Army, in France) ; and Stearns Kidd,
formerly in commercial life, a sergeant of the One Hundred and Forty-fourth Infantry
in France, during the great war.
Following the death of her husband. Dr. Beere returned to the east, and entered
the Woman's Medical College of Northwestern University at Chicago, Illinois, winning
her professional degree upon graduation with the class of 1892. She practiced in
Durango for three years, coming to Denver in 1895 as superintendent of the State
Home for Dependent Children, which position she occupied until she went to Manila
in 1898 as a representative of the Colorado Springs Red Cross, the first woman granted
permission to go to the islands on a government transport. She sailed from San Fran-
cisco in August, accompanied by seven nurses sent by the California and Oregon Red
This little band of pioneer volunteers served for a year in the hospitals of the
Eighth Army Corps, establishing diet kitchens, doing surgical dressings and general
nursing. Dr. Beere returned to Denver with the Colorado regiment to which she had
endeared herself by her heroic and untiring devotion.
In 1900 Governor Orman appointed her a member of the State Board of Arbi-
tration, the only woman who ever served in that capacity. The same year she was
appointed assistant county physician, in which position she did excellent work at the
County Poor Farm, segregating the tuberculous patients and inaugurating numerous
other reforms for the benefit of the inmates. For ten years she was attendant officer
and medical inspector of the Denver public schools, establishing while in that position
a much needed dental clinic for the school children of the poor.
In 1912 she was appointed superintendent of the County Hospital and assistant
38 HISTORY OF COLORADO
health commissioner, by Mayor Arnold. On her retirement from this position (being
the first woman to have served as such) the staff of one hundred physicians and
surgeons passed resolutions to the effect that her administration had been the most
efficient, economical and satisfactory that the hospital had ever known. It was due
to the social service department, inaugurated at the hospital by Dr. Beere, that the
Church Convalescent Home was founded.
After serving one term as head of the hospital, she established a private sanatorium
in Denver, for mental and nervous diseases, known as "Rest-A-While."
Dr. Beere is a member of the Medical Society of the City and County of Denver,
and also of the Colorado State Medical Society. She is recording secretary of the
Colorado Medical Women's War Service League, and chairman of the committee of
that organization for hospitals in the home zone. She was instrumental in gathering
a ton of children's clothing in December, 1917, half of which was sent through the
American Women's Hospitals to the orphans of France, and the remainder to Belgium.
Dr. Beere is a capable, energetic woman, of rare courage and fine intellect, high
spirited, independent and companionable. To all her public work she has brought
great efficiency through her medical experience and broad social sympathies.
WILLIAM K. BURCHINELL.
For forty-three years William K. Burchinell has been a resident of Colorado and is
now filling the position of secretary of the board of capitol managers at Denver. Various
chapters in his life record indicate his faithful service in connection with public affairs,
not the least important of which covers his record as a soldier of the Civil war, when
he valiantly followed the stars and stripes on southern battlefields and aided in defense
of the Union. He was born in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, in October, 1846, and is de-
scended from ancestors who came from England to America with Lord Baltimore and
settled in Maryland. Representatives of the family participated in the Revolutionary
war and marked loyalty to this land has always been one of the salient characteristics
of the Burchinells. Thomas Burchinell, the father of William K. Burchinell, was born
in Maryland and became a successful architect and builder. His birth occurred at Ches-
tertown, Maryland, and his education was acquired in his native state. In 1835 he re-
moved to Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, where he resided to the time of his death, which
occurred in 1877, when he was sixty-five years of age, for his natal year was 1812. In
early manhood he had married Ann Maria Wilson, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, who
belonged to one of the old families of that state, of English lineage. She, too, was born
in 1812 and died in 1857 at the age of forty-five years.
William K. Burchinell was the fifth in order of birth in a family of three sons and
three daughters. Two of the sons died in Colorado, one in Leadville and the other in
Boulder. They were Thomas Wilson and John Emery Burchinell. The former became
a resident of Colorado in 1879 and John E. Burchinell established his home in this state
William K. Burchinell acquired his early education in the public schools of Altoona,
Pennsylvania, and afterward continued his studies in an academy at Hollidaysburg,
Pennsylvania. He was then apprenticed to learn the trade of engine making in the
Baldwin Locomotive Works at Philadelphia. Pennsylvania, but he did not find that
pursuit to his liking and after eight months' service there he ran away from home in
1862, when a youth of but sixteen years, and joined the Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry
for active service in the Civil war. He was first attached to Company L of that regiment
and later to Company K and he continued at the front until the close of hostilities. Fol-
lowing the battle of Chickamauga he was transferred to the signal corps of the regular
army, with which he continued to the end of the war, being mustered out at Nashville,
Tennessee, in July, 1865. He participated in every engagement, from the battle of Stone
River in 1862 to the battle of Franklin in front of Nashville in December, 1864. Although
often in many hotly contested engagements he was never wounded or taken prisoner.
He became one of the organizers of the first Grand Army post in Pennsylvania, which
was formed under the name of the Veterans' Union, and later he organized another post,
of which he served as adjutant. After the close of the war he was a clerk in the quarter-
master's department in the spring of 1866 and later he entered into partnership with his
father in the planing mill business at Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, where he continued
until the wide spread financial panic of 1873, when the business was closed out. It was
about that time that he was elected a member of the state legislature, in which he served
WILLIAM K. BURCHINELL
40 HISTORY OF COLORADO
for a term. He was afterward appointed receiver at the land office at Pairplay, Colorado,
the appointment coming from President Grant during his second administration. Later
he was appointed by President Hayes when the land office was removed to Leadville,
Colorado, in 1879, and he continued to act in that capacity until 1883, or for a term of
eight years in all. He arrived in Colorado in February, 1875, so that for forty-three years
he has continued a resident of this state. From 1883 he has made his home in Denver,
taking up his abode in this city in December of that year. Here he engaged in the
machinery business until 1891, being president of the Denver Machinery Company,
dealers in mining machinery. In the fall of the latter year he was elected sheriff of
Arapahoe county and was reelected in 1893, serving until 1896, and upon the death of
his successor, who occupied the position for two years, Mr. Burchinell was appointed to
fill the unexpired term of Mr. Webb. Upon his retirement from the office in the fall
of 1898 he became connected with mining interests in Colorado and Mexico. On the 6th
of February, 1906, he was appointed to his present office, which position he has since
continuously filled, serving for twelve years as secretary of the board of capitol managers.
He is most prompt, systematic, efficient and faithful in the discharge of his duties and
has thus been retained throughout the entire period in the office.
Mr. Burchinell was married in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 21, 1872, to
Miss Samantha A. Cunningham, a native of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, and a daughter
of Josiah and Ann (Moore) Cunningham, representatives of an old and prominent family
of Huntingdon. Mrs. Burchinell passed away in Denver, July 18, 1907, at the age of
fifty-eight years. Two children were born of that marriage. Ann, whose birth occurred
in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. January 12, 1874, is now the wife of J. Grattan O'Bryan,
a resident of Seattle, Washington. Edna, the younger daughter, died in Philadelphia In
In politics Mr. Burchinell has always been a stanch republican and in early manhood
took quite an active part in political affairs. He is prominently known in Masonic
circles, having been made a Mason in Mount Moriah Lodge. No. 300, A. F. & A. M., on
the 12th of October. 1868, in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. He has since taken all the inter-
mediate degrees up to and including the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and
has ever been a loyal and faithful follower of the craft. Since leaving home to become a
soldier of the Civil war he has been dependent upon his own resources and has ever
been actuated by a spirit of loyalty and progress in business and official life, just as he
was when he followed the nation's starry banner on the battlefields of the south.
JOHN G. KENNEDY.
John G. Kennedy, deceased, was for a considerable period actively associated with
farming- interests in Arapahoe county, near Aurora. He was born in Ireland on the 24th
of June, 1S44, a son of John and Mary (Gleason) Kennedy, both of whom were natives
of the Emerald isle. The mother died in her native land, but the father afterward came
to America, crossing the Atlantic in 1864, at which time he took up his abode in Han-
cock, Michigan. He there resided for five years and in 1869 removed to Colorado, settling
in Denver, where his remaining days were passed.
John G. Kennedy spent the period of his minority in the green isle of Erin and was
a young man of twenty years when he accompanied his father on the emigration to the
new world. He also came to Colorado with him and in Georgetown, this state, was united
in marriage to Miss Sarah Curtin, who was born in New York, a daughter of Charles
and Katherine (Ryan) Curtin, who were also natives of Ireland. Coming to the new
world, they established their home in the Empire state, where they continued to reside
until called to their final rest. Their family numbered eleven children.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy began their domestic life in George-
town, where they lived for seven years and then removed to a ranch in Arapahoe county,
upon which Mr. Kennedy continued until he passed away in the year 1902. His business
interests were extensive and of a most important character. Adding to his possessions
from time to time, he acquired thirty-four hundred acres of land and as the years passed
carried on stock raising extensively. He carefully studied the needs of the stock and
knew just what breeds of cattle and horses were best adapted to climatic conditions here.
He was very thorough in all that he did. painstaking in all of his business affairs and
possessed excellent executive ability combined with unfaltering energy and enterprise
These qualities therefore won him substantial success as the years passed.
To Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy were born six children: John W.; Mary F., who is a high
school graduate and has been successfully engaged in teaching for thirteen years; Patrick
JOHN G. KENNEDY
42 HISTORY OF COLORADO
E.; Katherlne, deceased; Helen N., who Is a high school graduate and Is also teaching;
and Ruth W., who is a graduate of the Sacred Heart high school. The family are all
members of the Catholic church, of which Mr. Kennedy was an adherent. Mrs. Kennedy
still owns seventeen hundred acres of the land acquired by her husband and carefully
and wisely manages her business interests. Almost a half century has passed since the
family home was established in Colorado and throughout the intervening period the name
of Kennedy has been a synonym for progressiveness along agricultural and stock raising
lines. Mr. Kennedy, passing away in the year 1902, left behind him a large circle of
friends who entertained for him warm regard and high esteem because of his well spent
life, his intelligently directed activity and his fidelity to every trust reposed in him.
W. E. HARDY.
W. E. Hardy, conducting business under the name of the W. E. Hardy Motor
Company at Denver, was born in Pratt county, Kansas, March 4, 1885, a son of Cleo
E. and Frances Virginia (Martin) Hardy. The father's birth occurred at Ravenswood,
West Virginia, while the mother was a native of Gallipolis, Ohio. They removed to
Kansas at an early day and the father became a pioneer cattleman and rancher of
that state. After living there for some time he disposed of his interests in Kansas
and removed to Converse county, Wyoming, where he has since been engaged in cattle
raising and ranching. His wife passed away in Denver in December, 1909. There
were five children in their family: William H.. who is now engaged in merchandising
at Freeman, Missouri; Virgil C, living in Akron, Ohio; Mrs. Theodore Bruning, of
Denver; W. E., of this review; and Mrs. H. M. Munn, whose home is in Los Angeles,
In early life W. E. Hardy attended the country schools of Kansas and after his
textbooks were put aside applied his time to learning the candy maker's trade in
Kansas City, Missouri. He continued to follow the trade for a number of years, asso-
ciated with various prominent firms, and during that period he saved his earnings,
until his capital was sufl^cient to enable him to engage in business on his own account.
On the 3d of August, 1903, he arrived in Denver, where he opened a real estate and
loan office, conducting that business successfully for thirteen years, after which he
sold out. In 1917 he established what was known as the Moore-Hardy Motor Com-
pany, handling the Stephens motor cars and Staude tractor for Ford cars. After a
time he purchased the interest of his partner and has since conducted the agency very
successfully on his own account under the name of the W. E. Hardy Motor Company
and his location is considered to be one of the finest on Broadway.
On the 26th of July, 1911, Mr. Hardy was married to Miss Genevieve M. Johnson,
of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Johnson, well known and prominent
pioneer people of Colorado. The father is now deceased, but the mother, Mrs. Augusta
Johnson, still lives in Denver. Mr. and Mrs. Hardy have one child, Marjorie, who
was born in Denver in February, 1915.
Mr. Hardy maintains an independent course in politics. He is well known in
trade circles and belongs to the Auto Trades Association, to the Denver Automobile
Association and to the Denver Civic and Commercial Association, all of which have
been organized to advance business interests in Denver. He is a man of alert dis-
position and energetic spirit, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he
undertakes, and his enterprise has placed him in the front rank among the automobile
of the city.
ZOPHAR L. HOLDEN.
Zophar L. Holden was born February 14. 1870, on the ranch whereon he now resides
in the beautiful Bijou basin in the northern central part of El Paso county. He is
a son of D. M. and Isabelle (Hayden) Holden, both of whom were born in the state of
New York. They came to Colorado in the '60s, making the overland trip to the
Bijou basin from the Empire state. The father homesteaded one hundred and sixty
acres of land and preempted an equal amount and continued purchasing prop-
erty from time to time until his landed possessions were very extensive. In 1S88 he
retired from active business life and removed to Colorado Springs. His family num-
bered six children, of whom L. W., the eldest, resides upon a ranch seven miles south-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 43
east of Bijou Basin. Zopliar L. is the next of tlie family and resides on the home ranch