in stock raising and the results achieved have been most gratifying. The Campbell
farm is a model in every respect and John R. Campbell has long been regarded as one
of the foremost agriculturists in his part of the state.
In 1886 Mr. Campbell was united in marriage to Miss Rosa B. Schultz. a cultured
and refined woman, who takes a deep interest in all that pertains to the betterment of
the conditions of women on the farm. The children of this marriage are as follows.
JOHN R. CAMPBELL
400 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Emma is now the wife ot John Smith, who was born in Colorado City, Colorado, a son
of Charles E. Smith, who surveyed the original town of Colorado City when it was the
capital of the state. John Smith is a partner of his father-in-law in the ownership of
twelve hundred and fifty acres of land. Isaac Campbell, now on the farm, also has
large land holdings. Edith is the wife of Earl Ronton. Carl and Clyde are fourteen
and nine years of age respectively.
One cannot carry his investigations far into the history of Douglas county without
learning of the close connection of the Campbell family with all that has pertained to
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
the upbuilding and development of this region, for from pioneer times John R. Campbell
has here made his home, covering a period of forty-six years. Feeling the lure of the
west, he came to Colorado and its opportunities liave ever been to him a call to action.
His well defined plans have been promptly executed and his energy has enabled him to
overcome all difficulties and obstacles and steadily proceed along the path of prosperity.
MICHAEL F. O'DAY.
Michael F. O'Day, postmaster of Lafayette, Colorado, was born in Keokuk, Iowa.
January 9, 1876, a son of John and Catherine (Newell) O'Day. who were natives of
Ireland, whence they came to the new world in 1S68, first settling in Hancock county.
Illinois, while subsequently they removed to Iowa and took up their abode upon a farm.
In 1884 they became residents of Nebraska, where they lived for a year, and then came
to Colorado, where they still make their home. The father is now retired from active
business affairs. In their family were eleven children, nine of whom survive.
Michael F. O'Day was a lad of ten years when brought to Colorado and his education
was largely acquired in the schools of this state. He remained at home until he reached
the age of twenty-four years, when he was married to Miss Anna F. Schweiger. who was
born in Colorado and is a daughter of John and Margaret (Mayhoffer) Schweiger, the
former a native of Austria and the latter of Germany. Her parents came to the United
States in the '60s and settled first in Pennsylvania but afterward removed to Colorado,
where both passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. O'Day have been born two children: David
W., who is a graduate of the Lafayette high school; and Catherine M.
Following his marriage Mr. O'Day devoted his attention to coal mining and was
engaged in that business for a number of years, or until 1913, when President Wilson
appointed him to the position of postmaster of Lafayette, in which connection he has
made an excellent record, reappointment continuing him in the ofiice for a second term.
He is very prompt, systematic and capable in the discharge of his duties and has proven
a popular official. His political allegiance has always been given to the democratic
party and he is a firm believer in' its principles. Fraternally he is connected with
the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and his religious faith is that of the Catholic
church, of which his wife and children are also communicants.
JAMES W. KAYLOR. M. D.
Dr. James W. Kaylor, who has been engaged in the practice of medicine in Akron,
Colorado, for a number of years, is classed with the younger physicians and surgeons
of the state and has already built up an enviable reputation because of his success in
a number of complicated cases in which he has applied modern ideas and the latest
discoveries to good purpose. As his reputation has spread his practice has increased
and today his clientele is important and his income is a gratifying one. He was born
in Graham, Alabama, January 2, 1S77. a son of John T. and Millie (Cosper) Kaylor,
natives of that state. The father is engaged along agricultural lines and has also con-
ducted a mercantile establishment throughout his life, which has been passed entirely
within the state of his birth. He has always taken a laudable interest in affairs of a
public nature and the confidence and trust his fellow citizens have in him is expressed
in the fact that for six years he has served as probate judge of his district. Both he
and his wife are still living.
James W. Kaylor was reared under the parental roof and in the acquirement of
his education attended the schools in the neighborhood of his home until he was
thoroughly prepared to take up his professional course, which he pursued in the Southern
Medical College at Atlanta. Georgia, which is now the State University. He is a grad-
uate of the class of 1S97, receiving his M. D. degree when he was only twenty years
HISTORY OF COLORADO 401
of age. He then practiced medicine for six years in liis native state but in 1903
decided to locate farttier west, believing that the future of a physician would be of
greater promise in a newer country. He arrived in Durango. Colorado, in 1903 and
there maintained offices until 1905, when he came to Akron. Here he has since
practiced and as the years have passed the number of his patients has increased, so
that he now receives a gratifying income from his professional labors. Dr. Kaylor
is a careful diagnostician, employing the latest methods and discoveries in order to
define the nature of any case which may come under his care, and he seldom, if ever,
fails to reach the correct solution as to his cases. Having once decided upon a course
of remedy, however, he follows out his conclusions unswervingly and rarely fails to
bring about the. desired recovery. His standing in the profession is well established
and in difficult cases he is often consulted by his fellow practitioners. Dr. Kaylor has
not only achieved success in medicinal cases but his reputation as a surgeon is equally
In January, 1902, James W. Kaylor was united in marriage to Elizabeth White, who
is also a physician, being a graduate of the Birmingham (Ala.) Medical College. She
ably assists her husband, with whom she practices. To Dr. and Mrs. Kaylor were born
three children: John W., attending school; Elizabeth; and Margaret, who died at the
age of seven months.
Dr. Kaylor keeps in contact with the latest discoveries and the newest methods in
the field of medical science through his connection with the Northeast Colorado Medical
Society, the Colorado State Medical Society and the American Medical Association and
is prominent in these organizations, in the proceedings of which he actively partici-
pates. Studious by nature, he continually improves his knowledge in his particular
line and therefore ranks with the most efficient medical men of his section. He is at
present serving as county physician and that he has discharged his duties faithfully
and to the satisfaction of the public is evident from the fact that he has now held that
office for eight years. Politically he is a democrat, unfailingly giving his support to
that party, but he has no political aspirations as far as he himself is concerned. His
religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and fraternally he belongs to the
Elks. As Dr. Kaylor has prospered he has invested in property and today owns valuable
farm lands in the county. At the present writing he is building a handsome family
residence which he expects to make a home of hospitality for the many friends whom
both he and his wife have made since they have taken up their abode in Akron. All
matters of public welfare and public advancement receive his serious consideration and
he is ever ready to lend a helping hand in order to promote measures which he con-
siders of value to his community.
BENJAMIN G. NORVELL.
Agricultural interests of Monument and that section of the state find a foremost
representative in Benjamin G. Norvell, who has participated in the progress Colorado
has made for forty-five years, having arrived in this state in 1873. Although seventy-
four years of age Mr. Norvell is still active in his farming pursuits and is now
numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of El Paso county, owning four hundred
and twenty-one acres of land near Table Rock. A native of Virginia, he was born
August 4, 1844, a son of Hugh and Mary J. (Foster) Norvell, also natives of the Old
Dominion, born in Adams county. While Benjamin G. Norvell was yet a boy his
parents removed to Pike county, Missouri, in which state they resided during the
time when the Civil war broke out. Hugh J. Norvell. the father, was greatly affected
by the conflict, as he was a large slave-holder at that time, and Benjamin G. Norvell
enlisted in the sharpshooters cavalry, serving for nearly two years with the Con-
federate army, during which period he was wounded twice.
Mulheim, a native of Missouri, and to this union seven children were born, five sons
In 1S71 Mr. Norvell of this review was united in marriage to Miss Mary Elizabeth
and two daughters: Tullie, a resident of Denver; Martha, who married W. W. Kirk and
resides at Colorado Springs; Tony, who makes his home in Idaho; Cleave, at home;
William, who served with the United States army in France and who returned in
January, 1919; Marvin, at home; and Sallie, who died in August, 1917.
The year 1873 marked the arrival of Mr. Norvell in Colorado, the family coming in
that year to El Paso county, where our subject homesteaded near Table Rock. He
has since devoted his entire attention to the development of his farm and as his
means have increased he has added to his acreage until today he owns four hundred
Vol. n— 26
402 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and twenty-one acres, much of which is in a good state of cultivation. He has added
commodious buildings and installed modern equipment and by following progressive
and modern methods has made his property one of the valuable ones of the neighbor-
hood. In his political affiliations he is a democrat, readily supporting that party, but
has never been an aspirant for office. However, he is interested in the general welfare
and ever ready to give his support to worthy measures which have for their purpose
the benefit of the public and since coming to El Paso county, of which he is one of the
pioneers, has made many friends, all of whom speak of him in the highest terms.
JOHN L. WILLIS.
John L. Willis, living six miles southeast of Fort Collins, on section 22, town-
ship 7, range 68, west. In Larimer county, was born in Rockville, Connecticut, Sep-
tember 5, 1850, a son of Jesse and Nancy R. (Martin) Willis, who were also natives of
that state. The father was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit in Connec-
ticut throughout his entire life, there passing away August 21, 1887. He had long
survived his wife, whose death occurred November 19, 1861.
Their son, John L. Willis, was reared and educated in Connecticut, remaining
under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, after which he was employed
at farm labor for several years or until 1875, when he left Connecticut and came to
Colorado, settling in Larimer county. There he was employed as a ranchman and took
a band of sheep on shares for the first year. He put all the money he had in the sheep,
but ill luck attended the venture, the sheep dying, so that he lost heavily. In 1877,
however, he purchased his present place of one hundred and sixty acres, at which time
there was nothing upon it but a shanty. With characteristic energy he began its
Improvement and developed it into a fine place. He has continuously operated his
farm through the Intervening years, and although he has sold half of the place,
he still farms eighty acres. He makes a business of feeding sheep, which pursuit he
has followed for a considerable period, and he is today recognized as one of the suc-
cessful sheep raisers of Larimer county. He also fed cattle for some years but does not
give his attention to cattle any longer. He is a stockholder in the Farmers Bank of
Timnath and he was president of the Lake Canal Ditch Company for a number of years.
He is still connected therewith as one of the stockholders and is likewise a stockholder
in the Lake Canal Reservoir Company.
On the 22d of November, 1877, Mr. Willis was married to Miss Luella A. Cobb, a
daughter of Royal and Eliza A. Cobb, who were natives of Connecticut. The father
followed farming and about 1873 came to Colorado, where he took up a homestead in
Larimer county, giving his attention to its further development and improvement
throughout the remainder of his days, his death occurring about 1893. His widow
survived him until 1898. To Mr. and Mrs. Willis were born seven children, four of
whom are living: Edith, the wife of S. R. Giddings, an automobile dealer of Timnath;
Dora, the wife of Robert Strang, residing at Fort Collins; Arthur J., at home; Howard,
living at Timnath; Frank, who died August 18, 1897; Leila, who passed away June
29, 1904; and Laura, whose death occurred July 12, 1898. The family circle was again
broken by the hand of death when on the 27th of March, 1908, the wife and mother
passed away after a short illness.
Mr. Willis has served on the school board for a number of years and the cause of
education finds in him a stalwart friend and supporter. He belongs to the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows at Fort Collins and his religious faith is indicated by
his membership in the FYesbyterian church. Politically he is an earnest republican
and at all times he stands for those interests which are of most value in connection
with the public life of his community.
WILLIAM GILPIN NEWLIN.
A representative of agricultural interests in Douglas county, William Gilpin New-
lin, of Parker, now owns a valuable property in the vicinity which has been brought
to a high state of cultivation, it being at the present time in charge of his son, Harry
A., who has proven himself well fitted for his position as manager. William G. Newlin
is a native of the west, his birth having occurred at Albert Lea, Minnesota, in 1856, his
parents being William Gilpin and Elizabeth (Martin) Newlin, who had migrated to
MR. AND MRS. JOHN L. WILLIS
40i HISTORY OF COLORADO
Minnesota from Pennsylvania. They removed to Colorado in 1S65. when Mr. Newlin of
this review was but nine years of age, so that he received his education partly in the
former and partly in the latter state. Removal from Minnesota was made by bull
team, and thirty head of cattle were taken along on the trip, which was fraught with
hardships and difiBculties, in fact it took about three months, from May 20th until
August 20th, to complete the journey. William H. Newlin, Sr., however, proved by
subsequent events that he had made no mistake in seeking the opportunities of the
greater west, for in Colorado he found those chances which permitted him to care for
his family in an adequate manner. For a number of years he ran cattle on the range
and did an extensive cattle business, but in 1870 he homesteaded near Parker, this
homestead being now part of the seven hundred and twenty acre ranch which our
subject owns and which is situated slightly east of the town. During the rest of his
life Mr. Newlin, Sr.. devoted his attention to his homestead, while now his son and
the latter's son, Harry A., carry on the work of improvement and development and
have made this property one of the most valuable in the vicinity. The farm is to a
large extent devoted to dairying and they keep from thirty to forty cows, while about
one hundred and twenty-five acres of the land are under cultivation. Through indus-
try and foresight they have made the property very valuable and the land is now bear-
ing rich harvests, making Mr. Newlin independent. He has always followed progressive
ideas and methods and he and his family enjoy the reputation of being successful
William G. Newlin was united in marriage to Miss Nannie E. Adams, who was a
native of Missouri, and they had two children, a son and a daughter. Pearl M., the
daughter, married Charles Cummings and they reside on a ranch near Brookvale,
Colorado. They had five children, Charles, Hazel, Forest. George and one who died
in infancy. Harry Adams, the son, was reared under the parental roof and received
his first lessons for life's responsible duties under the guidance of his good parents.
Having attended neighboring schools in order to obtain a primary education, he later
was a student in the East Denver high school and rounded out his education by taking
a business course in the Wallace Business College. Thus he laid the foundation for
a successful career and has since proven his ability as manager of his father's ranch,
of which he now has charge and upon which he has instituted a number of improve-
ments which have proven of great value. Jloreover, Harry A. Newlin has talent in
another direction, as he is an accomplished piano player, having performed in some of
Denver's best theatres and at numerous other places of entertainment, his reputation
being of the highest. He is very popular among the younger people of Parker and
vicinity, where he has many friends. While he displays agreeable social characteristics
and makes a good and cheerful companion, he does not lose site of the serious side of
life, well taking care of the business interests in his charge. Mrs. Newlin, who for
many years administered this ideal household, whose welfare and comfort were always
her greatest care, has now passed away.
Mr. Newlin is a democrat, but while interested in public affairs and thoroughly
posted thereon has never shown any desire for public office. Since coming to Douglas
county he has made many friends, all of whom are agreed as to his high qualities of
heart and character, and in business life he stands high, as all of his transactions
have ever been above the slightest suspicion. Industry, perseverance and good judg-
ment have been the qualities which have led him to success.
Samuel Grimes is the president of the Denver Metal & Machinery Company, with
offices at Thirteenth and Larimer streets, and warehouses and yards at from First to
Third and Larimer streets. The business was begun in a small way in 1898 and, grow-
ing apace with the city of Denver, has become the largest in the state, with yards
covering two city blocks, in addition to which there are mammoth machinery ware-
houses, conveniently located with railroad connections for easier»handling the heavy
machinery for out-of-town delivery. Through the efforts of Mr. Grimes, who has ever
been the guiding spirit of the undertaking, it has developed into one of the leading
industrial interests of the city.
Mr. Grimes was born in Russia in 1871, a son of Israel and Rosa Grimes, who were
also natives of that country but came to America in 1890. They made their way direct
to Denver, where the father engaged in the iron business to the time of his death,
which occurred in 1894. His widow survives and is still a resident of Denver. In
HISTORY OF COLORADO 405
their family were six children: Edward, Benjamin, Samuel, Joseph, Mrs. Tillie Mill-
stadt and Mrs. Sadie Sachter, all residents of Denver.
Samuel Grimes attended the public schools of Denver and afterward started out
in the business world in connection with the iron industry. His entire training and
experience have been along this line and. as stated, in 1S9S he organized the Denver
Metal Company, which he subsequently reorganized into the Denver Jletal & Machinery
Company. Its growth has been steady and continuous, although phenomenal when one
thinks of the small start and the proportions to which the business has attained.
Samuel Grimes is the president of the company, with Joseph Grimes as vice president
• and Benjamin Grimes as secretary. This is a close corporation, the stock all being
held by the three brothers.
On the 26th of June, 1892, Samuel Grimes was married to Miss Anna Karsh, of
Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Karsh, and they have six children. Max, the
eldest, born October 11, 1894, in Salt Lake City, is a graduate of the Denver high school
and of the Colorado School of Mines and is now in business with his father. He
married Miss Fannie Shapiro and they have two children: Louise Harriett, who was
born in Denver in 1917; and Charles A., born in Denver in October, 1918. Isador
Grimes, born in Denver, June 20. 1896, is a graduate of the Denver high school and was
in the officers' training camp at Camp Pike. David Grimes, born April 25, 1900, is
attending the University of Denver. Dorothy, born December 25, 1901, is a high school
pupil. Pauline, born December 19, 1903. is also a high school student. Joseph, born
May 18, 1907, is attending the junior high school.
In politics Mr. Grimes maintains an independent course. Fraternally he is con-
nected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and -his religious faith is indicated
in his membership in Temple Emanuel. His has been an active and useful lite. He
has never dissipated his energies over a broad field but has concentrated his efforts
along a single line, and the thoroughness with which he has undertaken his work and
his earnest purpose have been dominant elements in the attainment of the success
which has brought him to the head of one of the leading industries of the kind in
GEORGE W. HEFFNER.
George W. Heffner, president and general manager of the Heftner Lumber & Manu-
facturing Company of Denver, is one of the best known men in the lumber trade
in the western country and his interests along this line constitute one of Denver's
most rapidly growing business concerns. He was born in Watsontown, Pennsylvania,
September 4, 1S61, a son of John S. and Mary E. (Watts) Heffner. The father wa9
born near Reading, Pennsylvania, and the mother near Turbotville, that state. They
removed to Elwood, Indiana, in 1876 and there the father engaged in contracting and
in the lumber business. At the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's
call for aid, enlisting as a private for four years' service in a Pennsylvania company.
He was ever loyal to the interests of his country and was a progressive and substantial
citizen of Indiana, where both he and his wife passed away. They had a family of
four children: George W., of this review; Thomas W.; Mrs. Lillie Lee, of Elwood,
Indiana; and John, who resides at Hamilton. Ohio.
In his boyhood days George W. Heffner attended the public schools of Watson-
town, Pennsylvania, and afterward learned the carpenter's trade and the lumber
business under the direction of his father. He continued to work along those two
lines until he had attained his majority, when he left home and went to Billings,
Montana. There he engaged in contracting and building for a few years with good
success and then removed to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, where he engaged in mining and
prospecting, continuing a resident of that state for a year. He then returned to Elwood,
Indiana, where he established and conducted a lumber business and planing mill on
his own account. He met with success in that undertaking and after thirteen years
at Elwood sold all of his interests there and removed to Los Angeles, California, where
he lived retired from active business for a year. Indolence and idleness, however, are
utterly foreign to his nature and he could not content himself to remain without some
occupation, so after a year's rest in southern California he removed to Chicago, where
he established a wholesale lumber business which he conducted successfully for seven
years. Disposing of his interests there, he removed to Toronto, Canada, where he
became one of the owners of the Gold Medal Furniture Manufacturing Company, Ltd.,
and acted as manager of the business. He remained in that connection for about a
406 HISTORY OF COLORADO
year, at the end of which time he sold his interests and removed to Missoula, Montana,
where he engaged in the wholesale lumber trade. Mr. Heffner remained in Missoula
until 1905, when he decided to locate in Denver, where he at once established himself
in the wholesale lumber business. His extensive experience and familiarity with the
trade made his venture a success from the beginning. He rapidly built up a profitable
and growing business, which in 1915 was organized into the Heffner Lumber & Manu-