facturing Company, a copartnership, conducting a wholesale and jobbing business, with
Mr. Heffner as general manager.
In 1918 Mr. Heffner purchased a block of ground at the southwest corner of
Forty-fourth and York streets in Denver, where in 1919 the firm will begin the operation '
of a planing mill in connection with the conduct of its wholesale and retail lumber
business, which will include the handling of builders' hardware of all kinds, glass,
paint, cement, building paper and roofing. To facilitate the handling of the increased
business their interests were incorporated in 1919 as the Heffner Lumber & Manufactur-
ing Company, with G«orge W. Heffner as president and general manager.
In January, 1S85, Mr. Heffner was married at Anderson, Indiana, to Miss Rosa
Besch, a daughter of John and Theresa Besch, of that city. Mrs. Heffner died Sep-
tember 8. 1905, in Elwood, Indiana, leaving a daughter and a son. The former is now
Mrs. Frances Currier, and the son is Frederick Eugene, manager and head of the
credit and traffic department of the Palm Olive Company of St. Louis, a branch of the
B. F. Johnson Soap Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the present time Mr. Heffner
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
is erecting a fine home at 1650 Albion street, in one of the best residential districts of
the city. He is justly accorded a prominent place among Denver's progressive business
men and leading citizens. He has through his splendid business ability built up one
of the leading commercial houses in its line in the great west. His connection with
the lumber and building trade extends through more than a third of a century in
various sections of the country, thus affording him a rare opportunity for acquiring
a practical knowledge of its various lines and workings. Mr. Heffner is a Blue Lodge
and Chapter Mason, belonging to the order at Kankakee, Illinois. His religious faith
is that of the Presbyterian church and its teachings have guided him in all the rela-
tions of life, making him a man whom to know is to respect and honor because of his
sterling worth and his loyalty to high principles.
CLARENCE B. FRINK.
Clarence B. Frink is a member of the Carlson & Frink Creamery Company, con-
trolling extensive dairy interests in Colorado, with branch establishments at various
points. They have their headquarters at Larkspur, Douglas county, where Mr. Frink
makes his home. He was born in Madison county, New York, December 12, 1878, a son
of Orrelo and Etta (Pickham) Frink, natives of the state of New York. The father
was interested in the creamery business in the Empire state, where he resided until
1890, when he brought his family to Colorado, settling at Fort Lupton. Clarence B.
Frink spent one year in study at the Colorado State Teachers College of Greeley and
one year as a student in the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he pursued a
course in agriculture and dairying. He further continued his studies along that line
at Columbus Ohio, where he spent a year, and in 1902 he established a creamery at
Larkspur, Colorado, and was associated with C. G. Carlson, of Denver. At present
Mr. Frink is doing business under the firm style of the Carlson & Frink Creamery
Company, with headquarters at Larkspur, Douglas county, where he has his office
and the main business. He has, however, established branch creameries at various
points, including Sedalia, Castle Rock and Cherry in Douglas county; Kiowa in
Elbert county, and Calhan and Monument in El Paso county. He practically handles
the entire milk supply in a radius of many miles. The business is done on strictly
modern lines and according to the most scientific methods concerning sanitation and
everything that has to do with keeping the milk clean and healthful. His establish-
ments are all models of neatness, while the business methods employed commend the
company to the full patronage and support of the general public. The firm of Carlson
& Frink is a close corporation, all stock practically being owned by Mr. Frink and his
In 1902 Mr. Frink was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Cheely, a daughter of Alli-
son and Sarah (Slate) Cheely. Mrs. Frink was born near Golden, Colorado. Her father
was one of the pioneers of this state, settling near Golden at an early day. To Mr.
CLARENCE B. FRINK
408 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and Mrs. Frink have been born three children: Eugene, who is in the Kemper Military
School at Boon villa, Missouri; and Genevieve and Robert, at home.
Fraternally Mr. Frink is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner and he has his blue
lodge membership at Fort Lupton. He is likewise a member of the Denver Athletic
Club. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, and although he is not an
office seeker, he is active in framing public thought and action in regard to local politics.
He owns a large, fine residence at Larkspur but removed in the winter o£ 1918-19 to
Denver in order to give his children the better educational opportunities afforded by the
city. His course has been marked by steady progress since he made his initial step in
the business world. Year by year he has progressed, wisely utilizing his opportunities,
and he is today at the head of an extensive and important creamery business that
covers a wide territory and has become one of the important commercial interests of
the section in which he operates.
E. J. JONES.
E. J. Jones, an alert and enterprising merchant of Broomfield, was born in Richland
county, Illinois, October 17. 1S67. a son of Oscar and Mary (Nicholas) Jones. The
father was born near Troy, Wisconsin, while the mother's birth occurred in the state
of New York. They were married in Illinois in 1865, where they resided until 1879.
It was in 1859 that Oscar Jones left Wisconsin and came to Colorado with John C.
Fremont. Later he was with Kit Carson, the scout, in New Mexico at the time when
the Civil war broke out. In 1862, however, he returned to St. Louis, Missouri, and
thence went east to Richland county, Illinois, where he was married in 1865. as
mentioned above, and there their children were born. Illinois remained the home of
the family until 1879, when they removed to northern Michigan, where they resided
for two years. In 1881 Mr. Jones, Sr., again became a resident of Colorado, where he
is still living with his son, Edgar J-., at the advanced age of eighty-flve years. His
wife, however, has passed away. In their family were two children, both of whom sur-
E, J. Jones accompanied his parents on their various removals and completed his
education in the schools of Colorado. In 1896 and 1897 he engaged in merchandising
at Broomfield, but was not engaged in that line from 1897 until 1901, when he bought
the building in which he is still located and resumed business. He opened a general
store and has since carried a large and complete stock, meeting the demands of many
customers. He has always recognized that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement
and has put forth every effort to please those who give him their support. In 1901 he
was appointed postmaster of Broomfield and has since occupied that position, con-
ducting the office in addition to the management of his store.
In 1903 Mr. Jones was married to Miss Minnie Churchill and to them have been
born two children, Eva M. and Edgar, Jr. Mr. Jones has always been a stanch advo-
cate of republican principles and in matters of citizenship is most public-spirited, giving
his active support and aid to all interests of benefit to the comnjunity at large.
FISHER E. SMITH, M. D.
Since 1915 Dr. Fisher E. Smith has resided in Parker, where he gives his attention
to the general practice of medicine, and in connection conducts a drug store, in the
management of which he has proven very successful. A native of Colorado, he was born
April 11, 1876, in Golden, and is a son of Joel W. and Mary F. (Haslip) Smith, the
former born in Tennessee and the latter in Missouri. Joel W. Smith is numbered
among the famous pioneers of Colorado and now makes his home in Denver, where he
is prominently engaged in the dry goods business, being the only surviving partner in
the firm of Daniels. Fisher & Smith, the pioneer dry goods house of the capital city.
Fisher E. Smith spent his boyhood days under the parental roof and after suitable
preparation for university training decided upon the profession of medicine as a life
work and entered the Medical University of Louisville, Kentucky, from which he was
graduated in 1899. Being duly qualified, he then established himself in practice
at Grand Junction, Colorado, and later practiced for some time in Rocky Ford, Colorado,
and also in Leadville and Denver, but in 1915 came to Parker. During the intervening
years he has built up a lucrative and gratifying practice. Dr. Smith is of a studious
HISTORY OF COLORADO 409
nature and has ever kept in touch with the latest discoveries made In the field of
medical science and as his knowledge and experience have expanded has gained the
confidence of the public, so that he is considered one of the ablest physicians and
surgeons of his part of the state. In 1916 he acquired a drug store at Parker, which
he manages in connection with his practice.
In 1904 Dr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Carrie A. Luvall, of Galesburg,
Illinois, who is a graduate nurse and by reason of that experience is now able to
assist her husband in numerous ways, both as far as the conduct of the drug store is
concerned, as well as in the treatment of his cases.
Dr. Smith has always given his allegiance to the democratic party, in the principles
of which organization he thoroughly believes, and has ever taken a helpful interest
in matters of public import although he has never put himself before the public as an
office seeker. However, anything that pertains to progress and development in his
district finds in him a warm champion and he is ever ready to sacrifice time or money
in order to advance the interests of his community. There is an interesting military
chapter in the career of Dr. Smith, who in 1900 enlisted at Seattle, Washington, in
the United States Medical Corps and served with the United States army in the
Philippines until 1903. Fraternally Dr. Smith is a member of the Benevolent Protec-
tive Order of Elks, belonging to the lodge at Leadville. Both he and Mrs. Smith are
popular in the social circles of their neighborhood and are highly esteemed for their
rare qualities of heart and character.
CHARLES F. HEIMBECHER.
Charles F. Heimbecher is a member of the firm of Heimbecher Brothers, cement
and gravel roofers, conducting business in Denver, where he has resided since 18S9.
His life is one of industry and unremitting toil and his success is the direct result
of close application and indefatigable effort. Mr. Heimbecher is a native of Manitowoc,
Wisconsin. He was born June 24, 1865, of the marriage of William and Minnie
(Luebke) Heimbecher, both of whom were natives of Germany but came to America
with their respective parents in early childhood. They were reared, educated and
married in Wisconsin, where their parents had settled on farm land, becoming pioneer
agriculturists of that community. William Heimbecher learned the boot and shoe-
making trade and followed that pursuit in early life. Eventually, however, he turned
to other business interests, taking up his abode upon a farm, and, like his father
before him, he became one of the prosperous and well-to-do agriculturists of Wisconsin.
His remaining days were devoted to the further development and improvement of
his fields and he passed away on the old homestead in 1S82, when he had reached
the age of fifty-four years and. eight months. His wife was also reared and educated
in Wisconsin and after her husband's death she came to Denver, Colorado, to visit her
daughter and here passed away in 1913. She was then almost eighty years of age,
her birth having occurred on the 8th of March, 1834. By her marriage she had
become the mother of ten children, seven of whom have now passed away, while
those still living are; Charles F.; Fred, who still makes his home in Manitowoc, Wis-
consin ; and Adolph, who is living in Denver and is a partner of his brother Charles
in the contracting business.
In early life Charles F. Heimbecher attended the district schools near his father's
farm and afterward continued his education in the city schools of Manitowoc, but
when his textbooks were put aside he concentrated his efforts and attention upon the
work of the fields, in which he aided from the time of early spring planting until crops
were gathered in the late autumn. He was thus employed until he reached the age
of twenty-four years, when he left home and went to Chicago, where he took up work
in contracting lines in connection with cement and gravel roofing. The opportunities
of the west brought him to Colorado and in 1889 he established his home in Denver.
Here he embarked in business on his own account and so well has he succeeded that
he is today known in business connections throughout the entire city and in many
parts of the state. Everywhere he goes in Denver he can see the results of his labor,
as miles and miles of concrete sidewalks and curbing have been laid by him and his
brother, who constitute the firm of Heimbecher Brothers. Adolph Heimbecher came
to Denver in May, 1907, and entered into partnership with Charles F. Heimbecher
in the concrete and gravel roofing business under the style of the Heimbecher Brothers
Cement & Gravel Roofing Company. They do expert work in this line and their trade
has steadily and rapidly developed, bringing to them well merited returns.
410 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Mr. Heimbecher has many times been tendered public office but has steadfastly
declined to serve. He is bound to no political party and at the polls he votes for the
man whom he deems best qualified to fill the position which he seeks. Fraternally he
is identified with the Royal Arcanum, of which he has been a member for twenty-one
On the 21st of February, 1894, Mr. Heimbecher was united in marriage to Miss
Minnie Wilson, of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Levi Wilson. Mr. and Mrs.
Heimbecher have two children: Louis, who was born November 21, 1894, in Denver
and was graduated from the Denver high school, while now he is attending Colorado
College; and C. F. Heimbecher, Jr., who was born in Denver, August 31, 1898.
Whatever success Mr. Heimbecher has achieved or enjoyed is attributable entirely
to his persistency of purpose and efforts. He has worked diligently, has acquainted
himself thoroughly with every phase of the business, has kept abreast with the times
concerning progressive methods, and his thorough reliability has brought to him a
liberal patronage, which is justly deserved.
JOHN G. COY.
John G. Coy, who resided a mile east of Fort Collins but has now passed away,
was born in Oswego, New York, April 14, 1833, a son of William and Elizabeth (Thorpe)
Coy, who were natives of Yorkshire, England. Upon coming to America they estab-
lished their home in Oswego. New York, where the father worked at the miller's
trade and there spent his remaining days. Both he and his wife passed away in 1845,
within four weeks of each other.
John G. Coy was reared and educated in the Empire state. He was a lad of but
twelve years when left an orpiian. at which time he went to live with an uncle near
Chicago, Illinois, residing with him until he reached the age of nineteen. About
1852 he made his way to California, where he followed mining, and in the fall of
1861 he removed to Iowa, where he worked until the spring of 1862, when he started
to drive across the country to California with three yoke of oxen. Ill luck, however,
seemed to attend him at this time. Three of his oxen were stolen while en route and on
reaching Fort Collins he paused, and changing his plans, decided to settle in that
vicinity. While it was his misfortune that caused him to discontinue the Journey,
it seemed on the whole, in the light of later events, a fortunate circumstance, for
in the course of years Mr. Coy became one of the representative and substantial citi-
zens of Larimer county. He took up his abode on what became the old family home-
stead near Fort Collins, but the land was not surveyed at the time. In fact this was
not done until 1865. He took a trip east in 1866 and, fearing he might lose his place
during his absence, he bought it outright. The ranch contained one hundred and
sixty acres and later he took up a homestead adjoining and became the owner of
three hundred and twenty acres, which was entirely wild when it came into his
possession, not a furrow having been turned nor an improvement made. He at once
began the task of plowing and planting, however, and in the course of years had
worked a marked transformation in the appearance of his ranch, converting it into
one of the best improved places in the county. Upon it he had two nice residences and
various other buildings furnishing ample shelter to grain and stock. He continued
the further cultivation and development of his ranch to the time of his death, which
occurred July 22, 1912, when he was seventy-nine years of age. He had been ill for
only a short time, doing a half day's work on the day that he died.
On the 17th of April, 1862, Mr. Coy was married to Miss Emily Adams, a daughter
of John and Frances C. (Eglington) Adams, who were natives of England. Mrs. Coy
was born in Norfolk, England. September 26, 1838. Her father was a blacksmith by
trade and in June, 1841. he left his native country and came with his family to the
new world, settling near Bristol, Illinois, where he again followed blacksmithing.
He continued to reside in that state until called to his final rest, passing away in Kane-
ville, Illinois, December 27, 1859. For six years he had survived his wife, who died
on the 15th of April. 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Coy were the parents of ten children, six
of whom are living, namely: Elizabeth, the wife of Professor J. W. Laurence, who
for thirty years was connected with the Colorado State Agricultural College at Fort
Collins, where he still makes his honie; William B., a well known cattle man of Wyo-
ming; Frances, the wife of John Hoffman, owner and operator of a grist mill at Fort
Collins; Anna V., the wife of George W. Bertram, who is farming the old Coy home-
stead in partnership with John E. Coy, who is the next of the family; and Burgis G.,
MR. AND MRS. JOHN G. COY
412 HISTORY OF COLORADO
who is a civil engineer and has been in France for two years, while now that the
armistice has been signed he has been sent with American troops into Germany.
ilr. Coy served as county commissioner tor three terms. He belonged to the
Grange and politically he maintained an independent course. His religious faith was
that of the Episcopal church, while his widow is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. He long gave his attention to the business of feeding cattle and sheep in
Larimer county and his sons are still well known as cattle feeders in this district.
Mrs. Coy still remains upon the old homestead where she has lived for fifty-seven years
and the family Is a well known and honored one throughout the community.
JOSEPH WILLIAM YOUNG.
Joseph William Young, a rancher near Parker, upon which place he has resided for
three years, was born In Atchison county, Missouri, January 16, 1867, a son of James
Wesley and Martha (Bradley) Young. He comes of Revolutionary war ancestry on the
paternal side, the family being originally from Virginia, and on the mother's side he
is of English lineage.
Joseph W. Young was educated In the schools of Colorado, for the family came to
this state in 1872, when he was a lad of but five summers. They located first about two
miles south of Littleton and afterward removed to Melvin. Colorado, in Arapahoe county,
where Joseph W. Young remained for twenty-two years. For seventeen years he was in
business in Denver but three years ago came to his present large ranch In the vicinity
of Parker and has had exceptionally fine crops during the past two years. He is now
extensively engaged in ranching and his business is bringing to him well merited
There is no feature of Colorado's development and upbuilding with which he is not
familiar. In the early days he attended for a time the old Cherry Creek school, one of
the first country schools established outside of Denver in Arapahoe county. As a boy
he remembers distinctly riding along by the side of Colerow, the noted and belligerent
Indian chief. To the family home the Indians came for food, which was always given
them, and this they never forgot. Mr. Young has lived to witness remarkable changes as
the work of development and improvement has been carried steadily forward and his
memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past and the progressive present.
In Denver, twenty-five years ago, Mr. Young was united in marriage to Miss Mary
Agnes Montgomery, a daughter of Frank L. and Elizabeth E. (O'Neil) Montgomery, a
sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work, and they became the parents of three
children, of whom the son. Lester Lee Young, Is now in the army with the Thirty-
second Engineering Corps, in service in France. The daughters, Mildred and Josephine,
are at home.
Mr. Young is one of the best informed men in his county. He has always been a
great reader and possesses a fine library, with the contents of which he is largely familiar,
spending many of his happiest hours there In the companionship of the master minds
of all ages.
EDWARD G. SEIDENSTICKER.
Edward G. Seidensticker is one of the active and enterprising ranchers of Douglas
county, controlling extensive and important interests. He was born April 26, 1S85,
on the ranch which he still occupies, his parents being Julius and Kate (Bauer)
Seidensticker, both of whom were natives of Bavaria. Germany. The father and his
brother, William Seidensticker. became pioneer settlers of Douglas county. Colorado,
having come to America in the late '60s. Crossing the country to this state, they
homesteaded in Douglas county, preempted and also took up timber claims. As
the years passed on they added to their landed possessions until at present the ranch
comprises four thousand acres of land. They were associated in their business under-
takings until the death of William Seidensticker. The father. Julius Seidensticker,
is still living but is now somewhat feeble. He was born December 23, 1847. and has
therefore passed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten. His wife
came to America in her childhood days with her parents and they were married on
this side of the Atlantic. She has departed this life.
Edward G. Seidensticker, reared under the parental roof, completed his public
HISTORY OF COLORADO 413
school education by graduation from the high school, after which he pursued a four
years' course in the State Agricultural College at Fort Collins. He then returned to
the ranch, where he has since remained, concentrating his efforts and attention upon
the business connected with its further development and management. There are
good buildings upon the place, including a comfortable residence and large barns and
sheds for the shelter of grain and stock. He keeps from five to six hundred head of
cattle and raises a large amount of hay together with cereals. His business affairs are
energetically prosecuted, his plans are definitely formed and promptly executed and
in his business dealings he displays sound judgment and keen discrimination. He
and his father reside upon the farm which has now been in possession of the family
from pioneer times.
In his political views Edward G. Seidensticker is a republican and in the fall of
1918 was elected to the office of commissioner of Douglas county. He belongs to the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having membership in the lodge at Castle Rock.
Having been a lifelong resident of Douglas county, he is widely known and his many
substantial and admirable traits of character have gained for him the kindly regard,
the goodwill and confidence of all with whom he has been associated.
R. C. NICHOLS.
General farming interests as well as the cattle industry find a foremost repre-
sentative in R. C. Nichols, who has a valuable property near Parker, Colorado. It
was only in 1918 that he, in partnership with a brother-in-law, acquired seven hundred
acres in this vicinity and here he now resides, giving his undivided attention to the
further upbuilding of the property. A native of Missouri, Mr. Nichols was born at