away in October, 1892.
Guy E. Loomis was reared and educated in Fort Collins and in Denver, Colorado,
remaining with his parents until he attained his majority. He then became a book-
keeper in the Poudre Valley National Bank, occupying that position for three years,
after which he engaged in the clothing business in Fort Collins, conducting his store
successfully for thirteen years, during which time he ranked as one of the repro:-
sentative merchants of that place. He then sold out and removed to Berthoud, where
he assisted in the organization of the First National Bank in 1906. He has from the
beginning served as its cashier, while the other oificers are F. A. Bein, president, and
John B. Everhard, vice president. The bank is capitalized for twenty-five thousand
dollars and has a surplus of ten thousand dollars, while its deposits now amount to
one hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars. Under the guidance of Mr. Loomis
and his associate officers the bank has enjoyed an era of continued prosperity and
growth and he has made for himself a creditable position in financial circles, just as
he had in mercantile circles in Fort Collins.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
In September, 1896. Mr. Loomis was married to Miss Irene C. Edwards, of Fort
Collins, who passed away in August, 1909. In April, 1915, he was again married, his
second union being with Lena N. Fairbairn, and to them has been born a daughter,
Helen Isabelle, whose birth occurred in August, 1916.
Mr. Loomis has been somewhat prominent in public affairs.* He served as city
treasurer of Fort Collins for one term and has been city clerk of Berthoud. He has
figured mostly, however, in business connections and aside from his service as cashier
of the Berthoud bank he is a stockholder of the Poudre Valley National Bank of Fort
422 HISTORY Ol' COLORADO
Collins and is the owner ot two hundred acres of valuable land in Larimfer county,
while in partnership with his father-in-law he is the owner of one hundred and eighty
acres, whereon they are engaged in the cattle business, raising polled Durham cattle.
In all business affairs Mr. Loomis displays sound judgment and unfaltering enterprise,
and his high purpose and determination carry him forward to success. His political
allegiance is given to the democratic party but without desire for office as a reward
for party fealty. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, having membership in the
lodge, chapter and commandery at Fort Collins, and is also a member of the Eastern
Star, the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. His religious faith
is that of the Presbyterian church, which guides him in all of the relations of life.
His has been an active and useful career, contributing to the material progress and
upbuilding of the districts in which he has lived as well as to the advancement of his
JAMES FOREST CARL.
The enterprising town of Brighton stands largely as a monument to the building
skill of James Forest Carl, one of its oldest settlers and the builder of its first brick
house. Since that date he has erected many of the brick buildings ot the town and
has ever stood for progress and improvement there. He was born in Henry county.
Iowa, July 2. 1S60, a son of Martin L. and Amanda ( Ballard l Carl. With the removal
of the family to southwestern Iowa, he pursued his education in the schools of that
section until he reached the age of seventeen years. He afterward went to Kansas,
where he lived for 'three years, and in 1881 he arrived in Colorado, making his way
to Brighton in 1882. He is a bricklayer by trade and here he began work along that
line, building the first brick house of the town. His excellent workmanship won for
him a liberal patronage and his time was constantly occupied 'with building opera-
tions, most of the brick structures of Brighton standing as evidence of his skill
and of his industry. He has since continued to work along that line and among the
structures which he has erected are the Leffingwell block, the First National Bank
Building, the Presbyterian church and the best residences of Brighton.
Mr. Carl was united in marriage to Miss Adella Taylor, of Brighton, who passed
away in 1914, leaving two children, James Edward and Almeda Lillian. On the 17th
of May. 1915. Mr. Carl was again married, his second union being with Mrs. W. R.
Armington. He is a democrat in his political views but not an office seeker, pre-
ferring to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his business affairs. He has
never been remiss in the duties of citizenship, however, and has given hearty aid and
cooperation to all plans and measures for the upbuilding of his town and the advance-
ment of its best interests.
CHARLES G. BUCKINGHAM.
Charles G. Buckingham, president of the National State Bank of Boulder and a
prominent figure in the financial circles of his section of the state, was born in Van
Wert, Ohio, in 1846. His father. Walter Buckingham, was born in Muskingum county.
Ohio, in 1812 and was a son of Milton Buckingham, who went from Connecticut to the
middle west, having been a representative of one of the old new England families.
Walter Buckingham was reared to farm life but devoted much of his attention to
merchandising after attaining his majority and was thus long associated with the
business interests of Van Wert, Ohio. He was there married to Miss Priscilla Strother
and passed away in the year 1849, when but thirty-seven years of age. His widow
long survived and departed this life in 1912.
Charles G. Buckingham pursued his early education in the common schools of
Van Wert, Ohio, and later spent two years as a student in Kenyon College. In 1870
he arrived in Colorado, then a young man of twenty-four years, and took up his abode
in the town of Greeley, which had just been founded. There he resided for four years,
being senior member of the private bank of Emerson, West & Buckingham, and in
1875 he removed to Boulder and started the bank of Buckingham Brothers. Here he
has since made his home, covering a period of more than forty-three years. He has
CHARLES G. BUCKINGHAM
424 HISTORY OF COLORADO
throughout the greater part of his life been actively and continuously connected with
banking and there are few men in the state who have a more comprehensive and
accurate knowledge of the banking business in all of its departments. In 1877 he was
elected to the presidency of the National State Bank of Boulder which took over the
private bank of Buckingham Brothers and for forty-one years has continued in that
position, directing the interests and shaping the policy of the institution, which has
long been regarded as one of the foremost banks of that section of the state.
Mr. Buckingham is a member of the Presbyterian church, serving as a trustee,
and he belongs to the Boulder Club. His political allegiance is given to the republican
party and while he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day he does
not seek nor desire public oflBce.
ROBERT H. HARTLEY.
Robert H. Hartley, deceased, who for many years was actively identiiied with
farming interests in Adams county, was born in Illinois on the 18th of December,
1854, a son of Basil and Mary Hartley, who were also natives of the Prairie state,
-where the father followed the occupation of farming throughout his active business
career, making his home in Fulton county, where both he and his wife passed away.
Robert H. Hartley was the thirteenth child born to his parents and all have now
departed this life. He was reared in Illinois in the usual manner of the farmbred
boy and pursued his education in the district schools near his home. On attaining
his majority he left his native state and made his way to Nebraska, where he was
united in marriage to Miss Isabel McCracken, a daughter of Robert and Edith (Boyle)
McCracken. Her mother was a native of Indiana, while her father was born in
Ireland. Following their marriage they removed to Ohio and afterward became resi-
dents of Nebraska, where they continued to reside until called to their final rest.
They had a family of nine children, including two pairs of twins, and eight of the
children are yet living.
It was in the year 1S95 that Mr. and Mrs. Hartley removed to Colorado and
settled upon a farm a mile north of East Lake in Adams county. Mr. Hartley pur-
chased one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he at once began to develop and
improve, transforming it into productive fields. It is all irrigated land and responds
readily to the care and labor which is bestowed upon it, large crops being annually
To Mr. and Mrs. Hartley were born four children: Grace, who is the wife of
Stephen H. McMonigal; Lida, the wife of O. W. Poitz; George M.; and Edith, the
wife of W. L. Murphy. The husband and father passed away in October, 1905, and
was laid to rest in the Wesley Chapel cemetery, his death being deeply deplored by
his widow and children and also by many friends who had held him in the highest
esteem. Mrs. Hartley still occupies the homestead farm and is one of the highly
respected residents of the community. She has now made her home in Colorado for
almost a quarter of a century, living throughout the entire period on the farm which
she yet occupies, and she has therefore witnessed much of the growth and develop-
ment of this section of the state.
CHARLES B. AMES.
Not only is Charles B. Ames a foremost representative of important and extensive
agricultural and stock interests near Parker, but he also is closely identified with
financial affairs of his section of the state, serving at the present time as president
of the Parker State Bank, which Institution under his able guidance and chairmanship
has made rapid progress within the last few years, now being numbered among
the substantial, trustworthy and confidence-inspiring banks of the state. .
Mr. Ames was born in 1S49 in Washington county, Ohio, a son of Cyrus and
Sarah (Porter) Ames, both natives of Ohio. Their son, our subject, was reared
under the parental roof and his parents instilled into him the first valuable lessons
in regard to life's practical duties. Thus were implanted in him those rugged char-
acteristics which have largely been the foundation of his successful life's course.
In the acquirement of his education he attended the common schools, thus preparing
HISTORY OF COLORADO 425
for an active career. Subsequently Mr. Ames turned his attention to the lines of
commerce and for about six years conducted and owned a meat market in Belpre,
Washington county, Ohio. That state remained his home until he reached the age
of thirty-two years, when in 1881 he came west, visiting the states of Colorado, Kansas
and New Mexico, being thoroughly convinced that in this vast, and fast growing
district his opportunity would come to him. Establishing his homestead right in
New Mexico, he took up land near Albuquerque, to which he gave his attention for
some time, but later came to Douglas county, where he bought land two and a half
miles north of Parker. He brought his land under cultivation and as his means
permitted he gradually added valuable buildings and other equipment and machinery,
Increasing the productivity of his fields from year to year and adding to his acres
until he now owns twelve hundred and ninety-five acres, being one of the foremost
agriculturists of his county. He largely gives his attention to stock raising, conduct-
ing a profitable dairy. In all that Mr. Ames has ever undertaken he has been guided
by progressive and modern ideas, which he combines with a practical understanding of
local conditions and thus has been enabled to acquire a substantial position in his com-
munity. Moreover, he is now president of the Parker State Bank, thus being con-
nected with an institution which reflects the substantial growth of his district and
which has been of great benefit to the inhabitants of Parker and vicinity. As chief
executive ofiicer and chairman of the board of directors Mr. Ames has in large measure
made possible the success of this enterprise and his policy of honesty and fair dealing
as well as progress has been the dominant note in guiding the destinies of the bank.
In 1871 Mr. Ames was united in marriage to Miss Agnes Prince, a daughter of the
Rev. Hubbard and Elizabeth (Kinchelo) Prince, natives of West Virginia. The father
of Mrs. Ames was a Methodist minister who devoted his labors to the spread of that
faith. Of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Ames five children are living. Lena L., the
eldest of the family, is at home with her parents. Blanche B. is now very successfully
conducting a beauty parlor in Denver, both she and her sister Lena having received
a thorough education, rounding out their courses by attendance at the School of Ora-
tory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Stark P., the elder son, married Alice Buterbaugh,
by whom he has a daughter, Esther, and is now located on a ranch near Keenesburg,
Colorado. Mary A., who took a course in domestic science and has the B. S. degree
from the Agricultural College of Colorado, married Ernest H. Bader and they reside
at Hesperus, La Plata county, Colorado. Mr. Bader is a high school teacher and farm
superintendent at the Fort Lewis School. There is one daughter in this family, Ruth
M. Cyrus H. Ames, the youngest in the family, is manager of his father's large home
ranch. He was graduated from the Agricultural College at Fort Collins and for two
and a half years was connected with the government field service as veterinary sur-
geon, stationed at St. Paul, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Denver, Colorado.
He married Gretchen M. Parker, who was graduated at Fort Collins, having pursued
a course in domestic science.
In Parker and vicinity Mr. Ames and his family have many friends, all of whom
are in complete accord in regard to the high qualities of heart and mind which
distinguish the family. Mr. Ames has ever been a leader in agricultural development
and thus has inspired others to follow in his footsteps, thus raising farming standards
in his vicinity. Public interests have ever been near his heart and he has been a
member of the local school board for twenty-five years. He and his family attend the
Methodist church and Mr. Ames is also a member of the Grange. His valuable farm
property, comprising excellent buildings, a fine artesian water supply for his house
and barns and numerous other improvements, stands as evidence of a life of industry
and energy, a life that has been guided by an indomitable spirit of enterprise, combined
with sound judgment. Mr. Ames came to the west in order to seek opportunities
for advancement. He has found those opportunities and made the best use of them,
thus gaining for himself a position as one of the most substantial citizens in Douglas
WILLIAM E. BADER.
William E. Bader resides on section 31, township 5, range 68, in Larimer county,
four and a quarter miles southeast of Loveland. He is one of Colorado's native sons,
his birth having occurred in Boulder county, one mile north of Niwot, on the 21st of
November, 1868^ His parents were Nicholas E. and Eliza (Greub) Bader. The father
was born in Baden, Germany, and the mother in Switzerland. He followed farming
426 HISTORY OF COLORADO
as a life work before coming to America. On his arrival in the United States hn
first settled for a brief period in Oliio and then removed to Knoxville, Iowa, and in
1859 or 1860 came to Colorado, homesteading the land upon which his widow now
resides. He there engaged in farming until his death, which occurred on the 5th of
December, 1873. His widow afterward became the wife of Clemens Knaus. Her father
had come to Colorado at a very early date, removing to this state from Missouri, at
which time he traveled by ox team and wagon. He also homesteaded near where Mrs.
Knaus now resides in Boulder county, one mile north of Niwot.
William E. Bader was reared and educated in Boulder county, pursuing his studies
in the Longmont high school and also in a business college at Greeley, Colorado. He
made his home with an uncle and attended business college after leaving his mother's
home. Later he worked as a farm hand for three years and during that period care-
fully saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him sufficient
capital to enable him to purchase land. He then bought his present place of eighty
acres in Larimer county and through the intervening years has improved and developed
it and now has it in excellent shape. He has now cultivated this place for twenty-
seven years, and during this period he has never been out of the state but once. He has
been very successful as a farmer and his labors have been wisely and carefully directed,
bringing to him a substantial measure of success. He is a stockholder in the Long-
mont Farmers' Mill & Elevator Company.
On the 11th of February, 1892, Mr. Bader was united in marriage to Miss Sara'n
E. Welty, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Beach) Welty, who were natives of
Pennsylvania and of Germany respectively. The father was a farmer and painter.
He went to Iowa at an early day. settling in Cedar county, where he purchased land
which he continued to cultivate throughout his remaining days, his life's labors being
ended by death in 1907. He had long survived his wife, who passed away in 1876. To
Mr. and Mrs. Bader have been born six children, namely: Ernest H., Ada R., Ivan E.,
Orla W., Ray L. and Paul F.
Mr. Bader gives his political allegiance to the democratic party, and while he has
never sought political office, he has served on the school board of his district for
twenty-four successive years. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge and his
religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church, to the teachings of which he loyally
adheres, doing all in his power to promote the growth of the church and extend its
EMIL C. IMMER.
One of the best improved ranches of Colorado is the property of Emil C. Immer,
who purchased it about three years ago. This place is known as the Pine Grove ranch
and is situated on East Cherry creek, near Table Rock, in the northern part of El
Paso county. It comprises twenty-two hundred and fifty acres and is a valuable prop-
erty, indicating in its attractive appearance the careful and systematic supervision of
a progressive owner.
Mr. Immer is a native of Illinois. He was born in Madison county, that state,
March 17, 1875, a son of Christian and Mary (Hertig) Immer, who were natives of
Switzerland. The father came to America in the late '50s and after the outbreak of
the Civil war responded to the call of his adopted country for military aid. He
enlisted in the Union army September 19, 1861, as a member of the Fifteenth Missouri
Infantry and served his country most faithfully, participating in numerous impor-
tant engagements until honorably discharged at the close of his three years' term on the
24th of September, 1864.
Emil C. Immer obtained his early education in the common schools of Illinois,
and when but a young lad removed with his parents to Pratt. Kansas, where he fin-
ished his education and remained under the parental roof to the time of his marriage,
which was celebrated in 1905, when Miss Ethel Cogswell became his wife. She is a
native of Missouri, and is a member of the Cogswell family, which is today one of the
oldest and largest in the United States. Mr. and Mrs. Immer have become parents
of three children: Christine, aged twelve; Jean, aged ten; and Margaret, a little maiden
of nine summers. The family reside on Pine Grove ranch in an attractive two-story
residence supplied with hot and cold water and all modern improvements. Every
accessory and convenience of a city dwelling and of a model farm property is found
upon this place. Water is piped to the barns and every facility has been secured for
the care of the stock. Mr. Immer is devoting his land to the raising of small grains
.,., I iiiMiiiiieiBWl
PINK GKOVK RAXCH, MM BRAXD
C. IMMER, COLORADO SPRINGS. MOTOR R. NO. 3
428 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and in the year 191S threshed over five thousand bushels. He also has a large acreage
devoted to potatoes and his business is being most carefully and successfully con-
ducted. The Pine Grove ranch indeed deserves its well earned reputation as being one
of the finest places in the state.
Mr. Immer's military, record covers service in the Spanish-American war. He
enlisted at Denver, June 17, 1898, as a member of Company E, First Regiment, Colo-
rado Infantry, and was on active duty in the Philippines, being mustered out with
his command at San Francisco September 8, 1899. He is a Royal Arch Mason, belong
ing to Kirwin Lodge, No. 175, A. F. & A. M., of Kirwin, Kansas, and Kirwin Chapter
No. 66, R. A. M. He and his wife are identified with Amicitia Chapter, No. 283
O. E. S., of Kirwin. Kansas. Mr. Immer is a loyal follower of the teachings of the
craft, which is based upon a recognition of the brotherhood of mankind and the obliga-
tions thereby imposed. He has many sterling traits of character, reliability and pro
gressiveness in business, loyalty in citizenship and fidelity in friendship.
N. H. TAYLOR^
N. H. Taylor was one of the pioneer farmers of Adams county, where he resided
from 1870 to the time of his death. A native son of Ohio, he was born September 8,
1844, his parents being Nicholas and Susan iShillenbarger) Taylor, both of whom
passed away in Ohio. Their family numbered thirteen children but none are now
N. H. Taylor passed his youthful days in the Buckeye state and was indebted to
Its public school system for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed. On leav-
ing Ohio he removed to Illinois, where he resided for two years and then came to
Colorado, arriving in 1870. He took up his abode in Adams county and purchased the
farm of one hundred and sixty acres upon which his widow now resides. It was an ex-
cellent tract of land in its possibilities, although at that time not a furrow had been
turned nor an improvement made upon the place. With characteristic energy he began
its development and his labors soon wrought a marked change in its appearance. Upon
the place is still to be seen the old stage log barn which gave shelter to the stage
horses in the early days when that was the only means of travel through the district.
He worked untiringly to cultivate his land and in the course of years was gathering
good crops. He was always energetic and industrious and he never stopped short
of the successful fulfillment of his plans and purposes.
Mr. Taylor was married in Ohio to Miss Almeda Sims, a native of that state
and a daughter of James and Lucy (Shackelfoot) Sims, who spent their entire lives
in Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor became the parents of two children but both have
passed away. Mrs. Taylor has two grandchildren who are living. Edward Carl Taylor
and Mrs. Lillian Drake. Mrs. Taylor still owns and occupies the old homestead of one
hundred and sixty acres and from this property derives a substantial annual income
which supplies her with all of the necessities and many of the comforts of life. She
can relate many an interesting tale of the early days when this section was upon the
western frontier and her reminiscences cover the period from early pioneer development
down to the days of present-day prosperity and progress.
CHARLES C. McELRAVY.
Charles C. McElravy, whose home place is situated six and a half miles east of
Fort Collins, in Larimer county, was born in Muscatine county, Iowa, November 30,
1868, a son of Franklin W. and Louise (Dickerson) McElravy. The father was born
in Ohio, while the mother's birth occurred in Pennsylvania. He followed farming
and also engaged in carpentering. In an early day he went to Iowa, settling in that
state soon after the close of the Civil war, in which he had served as a member of
an Ohio regiment throughout the period of hostilities. He was wounded in the right
shoulder during one of the many engagements in which he actively participated. He
returned home at the close of the war with a most creditable military record and soon
afterward removed to Muscatine county, Iowa, where he purchased eighty acres of
land, which he continued to cultivate for a number of years. He then went to
Nebraska and bought land which he further developed and improved for about thirty-
five years. To him and his wife were born eight children, seven sons and a daughter,
HISTORY OF COLORADO 429
and all are yet living. Mr. and Mrs. McElravy reared their family in Iowa and