Nebraska but on the 8th of March, 1890, removed westward to Seattle, where they
remained for four years, after" which Mr. McElravy went to Alaska, where he has since
lived, and he is now seventy-six years of age. His wife passed away in December, 1906.
Charles C. McElravy was reared and educated in Iowa and remained under the
parental roof until he had attained the age of seventeen years. Subsequently he was
employed by others as a farm hand for twelve years, after which he cultivated his
mother's place for a year. In 1892 he arrived in Weld county, Colorado, where he
continued to work as a farm hand for Ave years. He afterward rented land of Gov-
ernor Eaton for a year and later cultivated another rented tract for five years. Dur-
ing this period he carefully saved his earnings, so that at the end of that time he was
able to purchase two hundred acres of land, which he has since owned and operated.
He has greatly improved the place, bringing the land under a high state of cultiva-
tion and adding large, commodious and substantial buildings until he has one of the
best improved farm properties in his part of the state. He purchased the place for
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ten thousand dollars, or fifty dollars an acre, and has recently been offered three hun-
dred dollars per acre, a sum which he refused. He makes a specialty of handling pure
bred Belgian horses. He also raises a large number of cattle and many hogs annu-
ally and is one of the prominent stockmen of his part of the state, wisely and suc-
cessfully conducting his interests. He is also a stockholder in the Fort Collins Dehy-
On the 8th of September, 1890, Mr. McElravy was united in marriage to Miss
Tilla Heath, who passed away on the 2d of February, 1892. In 1895 Mr. McElravy
was again married, his second union being with Nina Lee, by whom he has had five
children, namely: Pearl, who is the wife of Roland West, a farmer of Larimer county;
Millard, who died in 1897, at the age of eighteen months; Mildred, twenty-one years
of age; Delia, aged sixteen; and Roy, a lad of ten, who completes the family.
Mr. McElravy is a member of the school board and the cause of education finds
in him an earnest supporter. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Woodmen
of the World and in his political views is a stanch republican. His religious faith
is that of the Methodist Episcopal church and in its teachings are found the rules
which govern him in all of his relations with his fellowmen.
EDWIN L. PITCHER.
Edwin L. Pitcher, living on section 22, township 7, range 68 west, in Larimer
county, his ranch being pleasantly situated about five miles southeast of Fort Collins,
was born in Boonville, New York, December 5. 1864, a son of Ephraim and Jane
(Franklin) Pitcher, who were also natives of Boonville. New York. The father, a
farmer by occupation, removed westward to Larimer county, Colorado, in 1886 and
here cultivated rented land for many years. He afterward took up his abo4e in Fort
Collins and was in charge of the dormitory at the State Agricultural College for three
years. There he continued to make his home until his life's labors were ended in
death in September, 1908. He had long survived his wife, who died in July, 1867.
Edwin L. Pitcher spent his youthful days in New York and Ohio, his father hav-
ing removed to the latter state when he was a youth of thirteen. When a lad of fifteen
he started work on the railroad as a brakeman in the employ of the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern and was also for a time employed on the lines of the Pennsylvania
system. He continued in that connection until 1SS3, when he came west to Denver,
where he was employed until the fall of 1884. He then worked as a cowboy until 1887,
when he rented land and began ranching, cultivating that place until 1900, when he
bought land, which he further developed and improved through a period of five years.
In 1906 he made investment in his present place, comprising one hundred and sixty
acres, and with characteristic energy began its further cultivation and development.
His is a splendid ranch property, forming one of the attractive features of the land-
scape by reason of the excellent buildings, the well kept fences, the highly cultivated
fields and the air of neatness and thrift which pervades the entire place. Mr. Pitcher
has made a business of feeding sheep since 1902 and in former days he herded cattle
on the government range for a period of almost two decades, or from 1888 until 1906.
He also ranged horses and he now makes a specialty of raising Percheron horses. In
addition to his home property he owns a well improved farm to the northwest, which
his son operates. He has served as president of the Lake Canal Ditch and as superin-
tendent of the Lake Canal Reservoir Systems and is much interested in the subject
430 HISTORY OF COLORADO
of irrigation and In all of the problems connected therewith. His aid and influence
have ever been on the side of practical progress and improvement and his work has
been productive of excellent results.
On the 10th of June, 1S90, Mr. Pitcher was married to Miss Belle Hulbert, who was
born in Wisconsin, December 24, 1872, a daughter of Joseph and Samantha (Deberry)
Hulbert, who were likewise natives of Wisconsin. The father was a millwright and
worked at the trade until he came to Colorado in 1889, when he rented land in Larimer
county, which he continued to cultivate for about four years. He then retired and
removed to Fort Collins, where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring in
November, 1910. His wife passed away in July, 1908. To Mr. and Mrs. Pitcher have
been born seven children: Edwin, whose birth occurred in March, 1892; Raymond J.,
who was born in May, 1893, and is now operating one of his father's farms; Harry F.,
who was born in December, 1895, and is a member of a balloon squad at West Point,
Kentucky; Arthur B., whose birth occurred in April. 1896; Dorothy J., who was born
in July, 1898. and is attending business college; William H., who was born in April,
1900, and is a high school student; and Lynn E., who was born in February, 1904,
and is also attending high school.
Mr. Pitcher exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures
of the republican party but has never been an office seeker. He belongs to the Bene-
volent Protective Order of Elks and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. They are well known residents of Larimer county and the intelligently directed
efforts of Mr. Pitcher have gained him position among the representative ranchmen of
this section of the state.
THOMAS J. CHANCELLOR.
Thomas J. Chancellor has since February, 1916. ably filled the position of post-
Brighton and for about two decades prior to that time was actively identi-
fied with agricultural interests in Adams county. His birth occurred in Howard
county, Missouri, in 1S64, his parents being John R. and Catherine (Blankenbaker)
Chancellor. The mother's people removed from Virginia to Missouri during the pio-
neer period in the development of the latter state.
Thomas J. Chancellor acquired his early education in the public schools of his
native state and subsequently spent three years as a college student at Fayette,
Missouri. He was but a lad of twelve years when his father died, and when but
sixteen years old, the management of the homestead fell upon him, he being the eldest
son in a family of four sons and three daughters. He took full charge of the farm
of three hundred and twenty acres, and so ably did he conduct its affairs that within
a few years, the property was cleared of all incumbrance, the younger members of
the family were given splendid educational advantages, while he. himself, was enrolled
for a course of study in the college at Fayette. Following his college course, he
returned again to the home farm and continued there in charge until 1895. In the
meantime, he had purchased, an additional tract of one hundred and thirty-seven acres
which he managed and cultivated, in conjunction with the homestead. All of these
changes were consummated as the direct result of his successful management, and
though he was but a boy when first faced with the stern realities of existence, both
for himself and also for those dependent upon him. he soon won recognition as one
of the most successful and progressive agriculturists in his native state. He made
careful study of soil and conditions, and applied with a marked degree of success,
modern methods and advanced practices which resulted in bringing, not alone, satis-
factory financial returns to him, but also constituted a factor in the development of
his district. Mr. Chancellor's mother continued to make her home on the old home-
stead until her death, in 1918, at the ripe age of eighty-eight years.
In 1895, Mr. Chancellor came to Colorado, since which time he has taken active
part in the development of his adopted state. He took up his abode near Brighton,
and for ten years devoted his efforts and attention to the management of an irrigated
farm of eight hundred acres. At the end of the decade he removed to Brighton and
began farming the M. J. Lawrence ranch, which he successfully conducted until
appointed postmaster of the town in February, 1916. In this connection he has
since discharged his duties with capability and promptness and is making a most
excellent record as a public official.
On the 26th of June, 1894, in Helena, Montana, Mr. Chancellor was united In
marriage to Miss Stella Smith, a daughter of Wilson R. and Mary D, (Miller) Smith,
THOMAS J. CHANCELLOR
432 HISTORY OF COLORADO
•who removed from Glasgow, Missouri, to Helena, Montana, in the early '70s. Mr. and
Mrs. Chancellor have a daughter, Mary Porter Chancellor. In the work of the Presby-
terian church Mr. Chancellor takes a very active and helpful part, being one of its
leading members. He also belongs to the Woodmen of the World. His life has been
upright and honorable in every relation and he well merits the respect and esteem
accorded him in his home community.
Adam Baxter, postmaster of Wellington, was born in Ireland, February 25, 1850,
a son of George and Eliza (Birch) Baxter, who were natives of the Emerald isle,
where the father engaged in business as a linen manufacturer and also followed farm-
ing. He died in that country in 1878, while his widow survived until 1885.
Adam Baxter spent his youthful days under the parental roof and pursued his
education in the schools of his native country. He continued to assist his father after
his textbooks were put aside, becoming actively identified with the linen manufacturing
business there, to which he succeeded upon the father's death. He continued in that
business for ten years and then sold his interests to his brother, for he had become
imbued with an irresistible desire to try his fortune in America. Crossing the
Atlantic, he made his way westward to Fremont, Nebraska, where he arrived about
1888. He there worked in a hardware store for eighteen years and on the expiration
of that period came to Colorado, settling at Wellington, where for two years he was.
manager of a hardware store. He was next appointed postmaster and has since con-
tinuously served in that position, being the incumbent in the office at the present
In June, 1876, Mr. Baxter was married to Miss Letitia Carson and to them were
born five children: Elizabeth, the wife of George Coddington, living at San Diego,
California; Helen, the wife of W. F. Howard, of Douglass, Kansas; Charlotte, the wife
of L. J. Andrews, of Los Angeles, California; Margaret, the wife of Dr. D. C. Brown,
of Bisbee, Arizona; and May, the wife of G. R. Miller, who is in the refining office at
Casper, Wyoming. The wife and mother passed away in December, 1916, after a
lingering illness, her death being deeply regretted by many friends as well as her
immediate family and relatives. She was a member of the Presbyterian church, to
which Mr. Baxter also belongs. lu politics he has maintained an independent course.
He has never regretted his determination to come to the new world, for he here found
pleasant surroundings and favorable opportunities and he is today numbered among the
substantial and highly respected citizens of Wellington.
Peter Turner, now deceased, was numbered among the honored pioneer settlers
of Colorado, coming to this state more than a half century ago. He was born in
Franklin county, Virginia, in 1838 and spent the days of his boyhood in the Old
Dominion. He afterward removed to Iowa, where he took up his abode in 1857, re-
maining for four years in that state, during which time he gave his attention to
farming. When it was discovered that the mountains of the west were rich in min-
erals he resolved to seek his fortune in Colorado and made his way toward this state.
In 1861 he crossed the plains, arriving at Central City, after which he embarked
in gulch mining. He continued in that work for a number of years, after which he
returned to Iowa in 1864 and was there married to Elizabeth Searcy. They began their
domestic life upon a farm in that state and for a time he continued in the work of
tilling the soil and also followed the stone mason's trade. He continued to make his
home in Iowa until 1873, when he again crossed the plains, this time accompanied by
his family. He made the long journey with team and wagon, camping at night along
the wayside. The Indians were troublesome at that time and the family suffered no
little anxiety, -fearing an attack from the red men. However, they succeeded in
reaching their destination in safety and for four years thereafter Mr. Turner followed
mining in the new camp of Sunshine in Boulder county, which afterward became a
noted mining camp.
It was in 1876 that Mr. Turner removed to a homestead near Berthoud in Larimer
county. It was a tract of barren land upon which not a furrow had been turned nor an
434 HISTORY OF COLORADO
improvement made. He began the work of development, however, and built thereon
the first house between the Big Thompson and Little Thompson creeks. In 1884 he
laid off a part of his land in town lots, which he sold for building purposes and thus
became the founder of the town of Berthoud. which now stands upon a part of his
original homestead. It was Mr. Turner who discovered the Emancipation mine and
also the Hawkeye mine, which he developed, and he continued to engage in mining
at Sunshine after he took up the homestead, making his home, however, at Berthoud,
where he spent his remaining days. To Mr. and Mrs. Turner were born six children:
Beverly B.; William H., who is mentioned on another page of this work; Susan Sun-
shine, who was the first white child born in the Sunshine camp and who for several
years was a successful teacher in the public schools; Mattie, the wife of Fenton
Mathews; Gustavus A.; and James A.
Mr. Turner was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also of
the Rebekahs, as was his wife. The family attended the United Brethren church, in
which Mrs. Turner was a great worker, doing everything in her power to promote the
growth of the church and extend its influence. Mr. Turner also guided his life accord-
ing to its teachings and his career ever measured up to the highest standards of man-
hood and citizenship. He was thoroughly reliable, broad-minded, trustworthy in every
particular, and when he passed away on the 28th of July, 1912, his death was deeply
deplored by all who knew him. For a decade he had survived his wife, who died on
the 2d of January, 1902. He was among the oldest of the pioneer settlers of the
state, having come first to Colorado more than a half century before, and through the
intervening period he had been a most interested witness of all of its changes and
FREDERICK EARLE ROBINSON.
Frederick Earle Robinson, deceased, whose connection with the commercial interests
of Colorado Springs was of vital value to the city, was born in Holliston, Massachusetts,
March 25, 1853, a son of the Rev. William and Jane (Wynn) Robinson. The father,
who was of Irish Protestant descent, being from the north of Ireland, was a Congre-
gational minister. The mother was born in Connecticut and both parents died in the
east. They had two sons, the brother of Frederick E. Robinson being William Frank-
lin Robinson, now a manufacturer of rubber goods in the east.
Frederick E. Robinson attended the public schools of Holliston and of Boston,
Massachusetts, and was afterward graduated from the Massachusetts Pharmaceutical
College at Boston, having determined to engage in the drug .business as a life work.
His first position as head prescription clerk was with the Atkinson Drug Company,
then, as now, located at the corner of Boylston and Tremont streets in Boston. In
this connection Mr. Robinson was regarded as one of the very ablest men in his pro-
fession in that city.
In the autumn of 1875, however, Mr. Robinson sought the health-giving air of
Colorado, making his way to Colorado Springs. He was the first patient to whom
Dr. Knight, the celebrated physician of Boston, recommended the climate of Colorado
Springs to recuperate following an attack of pneumonia, and it proved highly efficacious
for Mr. Robinson, who decided to remain here. He accepted a position as a prescription
clerk in the leading drug store of the town. His advance in a business way was rapid,
attended by proportionate financial success. In 1877 he established a drug store of his
own at the corner of Pike's Peak avenue and Tejon street, now known as the "busy
corner," and within a short time he had built up a business of large and gratifying
proportions. During his active life Mr. Robinson acquired other business properties
and at his death was rated as one of the well-to-do men of Colorado. He remained
an active factor in the drug trade for a number of years, but the business was sold in
1903 to the Druehl interests of Salt Lake City, although the building occupied by
Mr. Robinson is yet a part of the estate.
On the 11th of September. 1877, Frederick E. Robinson was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Scotland Mackenzie, who resided in Evanston, Illinois, and in New York
city. She came to Colorado in 1875 on account of her grandmother's health. To Mr.
and Mrs. Robinson were born the following named: Thomas Mackenzie, now living
in Colorado Springs; Jane, the wife of Major Etienne Bujac, now located at Carlsbad,
New Mexico, and the mother of a daughter. Adele; Paul, who died in infancy; Fred-
erick E., Jr.. who is with the IngersoU Manufacturing Company of Rockford, Illinois;
Beatrice, who died at the age of eight years; Lucy, who passed away at the age of
FREDERICK E. ROBINSON
436 HISTORY OF COLORADO
eleven; and Winifred Margaret, the wife of Harold Ingersoll, of Broadmoor, by
■whom she has one son, Wlnthrop II.
The family circle was again broken by the hand of death when Frederick E.
Robinson passed away November 3, 1903. at the Menger Hotel in San Antonio, Texas,
being one of the last victims of the yellow fever scourge which swept the southern;
part of the United States at that time. , He was a Mason who exemplified in his life;
the beneficent spirit of the craft and he was a member of all the leading clubs of
Colorado Springs. He was universally esteemed and loved. He had the faculty of
making friends wherever he went as well as winning success.
GEORGE ELVIN BROWN.
George Elvin Brown, living near Henderson, Colorado, was born near Greensburg,
Decatur county, Indiana, on the 19th of September, 1856, his parents being James M.
and Rhoda Emily (Stout) Brown, who are mentioned elsewhere in this work in con-
nection with the sketch of another son, Merritt M. Brown.
In the schools of Indiana, George E. Brown pursued his education, having the
advantages offered by the district schools. The vacation periods were spent at farm
work and he early became familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring
for the crops. After his textbooks were put aside he devoted several years to farming,
at the end of which time he learned the carpenter's trade.
In 1887 Mr. Brown arrived in Colorado, locating in Denver, and took up general
contract work, being thus actively connected with building operations for a number
of years. While thus engaged he built the Kuner pickle factory and also a number
of residences in Denver. Eleven years ago, however, he removed to Barr Lake in
connection with his brother, Merritt M. Brown, with whom he had previously been
In partnership, and three years ago he bought four acres of land and a home near
Henderson. He has a fine residence which is one of the attractive places of the
community and in the intervening period he has again given his attention to contract-
ing and building. He has developed high eflBciency along this line, and his skill and
ability are recognized in a liberal patronage.
In Shelbyville, Indiana, on the 28th of May, 1884, Mr. Brown was united in
marriage to Miss Agnes Greer, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (McGuire) Greer.
Mrs. Brown was born and reared in Indiana and there attended school, but her parents
were from Virginia. Mr. Brown's first marriage was with Miss Mary C. Holmes, on
November 3, 1880. She died May 5, 1883, and by the marriage Mr. Brown had one son,
Claude E., who married Jessie Louise Howell and has a daughter, Evelyn H. Having
lost his first wife on August 7, 1905, Claude E. Brown wedded Mrs. Ethel Blakesley
and by this union there is one son, Claude Eugene, Jr.
Politically George E. Brown is a repubican and his religious faith is that of the
Baptist church. He stands stanchly in support of every cause in which he believes and
is a man fearless in the expression of his honest convictions. In a business way
he has made steady progress and as the architect of his own fortunes has builded
wisely and well.
JOSEPH A. COOPER.
Joseph A. Cooper, deceased, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, in 1844 and
died in Kansas City, Missouri, November 29, 1S83. His early life was passed upon the
home farm of his father in Kentucky and in 1869 he removed to Chillicothe, Missouri,
being at that time a young man of twenty-five years. He there became cashier of the
Peoples Savings Bank and occupied that po.sltion until 1876, when he became a resi-
dent of Kansas City, where he entered the wholesale boot and shoe business in con-
nection with Dr. J. B. Bell and Victor B. Buck, the firm style of J. A. Cooper & Company
being adopted. In this business he remained until January, 1881, when he resumed
activity in the field of banking, assisting in the organization of the Citizens National
Bank of Kansas City, of which he became the first president, remaining at the head of
the institution until death terminated his labors. Honored and respected by all, no
man occupied a more enviable position in the business and financial circles of Kansas
City than did Joseph A. Cooper, not alone by reason of the success which he achieved
HISTORY OF COLORADO 437
but also owing to the straightforward business policy which he ever followed, his career
at all times measuring up to the highest ethical standards of business life.
It was on the 14th of September, 1871, that Mr. Cooper was united in marriage
to Miss Pocahontas Bell, a daughter of Dr. J. B. and Harriett (Ballou) Bell. Her
father studied medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, and spent the greater part of his life
in Kansas City and in Chillicothe. He was very successful as a practitioner of surgery,
his efficiency constantly increasing as the result of broad study and experience. He
was one of the early settlers of Missouri and at the time of his death had resided
within its borders for a half century. He became interested in commercial affairs
and the partner of Mr. Cooper in the wholesale boot and shoe business, and his com-
mercial and professional activities made him a most valued resident of his state.
To Mr. and Mrs. Cooper was born a son, Virgil, who married Nellie Campbell and
resides near his mother's home in Colorado Springs. Mrs. Cooper also has a sister
living, Mrs. Rebecca B. Lapsley, of Kansas City.
For ten years after her husband's demise Mrs. Cooper remained in Kansas City
and learned the principles of business in order to successfully manage the property
left to her. She then came to Colorado Springs on account of the health of her son
and purchased her present home. She now divides her time between Colorado Springs
and Kansas City, and her mother, during her life, spent the summer months with Mrs.