Cooper. The latter is a life member of the Red Cross and has done a very important
share of the war work accomplished by the women of Colorado Springs.
PHILO D. GROMMON.
Philo D. Grommon, a farmer and stockman living about five miles northeast of
Berthoud, in Weld county, was born in Denver, Colorado, April 22, 1886, a son of
Philo and Lutie J. (Pierce) Grommon, the former a native of Illinois, while the latter
was born in Michigan. They arrived in Colorado in 1S85 and took up their abode in
Denver, where the father spent his remaining days but the mother is still living. They
were the parents of three children, all of whom survive.
Philo D. Grommon was reared in Denver and at the usual age became a pupil in
its public schools. After mastering the common branches of learning he entered the
Colorado School of Mines at Golden, of which he is a graduate, and for three years
he followed that line of work. He then came to his present home near Berthoud, leas-
ing one Iiundred and sixty acres of land, which he has since developed, adding to his
place many modern improvements. He has continuously cultivated his fields with
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
good results and has been very successful in all of his undertakings
Mr. Grommon was united in marriage to Miss Vera De Prance, who was born in
Golden, Colorado, a daughter of A. H. and Lucretia C. (Howell) De France, who were
natives of Pennsylvania and of Illinois respectively. In their family were five children,
four of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Grommon have but one child, Philo, Jr., who
was born July 15, 1911.
Fraternally Mr. Grommon is a Mason and has filled all of the chairs in the local
lodge. He has proved a worthy exemplar of the craft, ever loyal to the teachings con-
cerning the brotherhood of man. His religious faith is that of the Baptist church,
while his political belief is that of the republican party. He possesses many sterling
traits of character, including reliability and progressiveness in business, loyalty In
friendship and devotion to all those interests which make for uplift in the individual
and for advancement in the community at large.
Fritz MuUer is a well known and representative agriculturist of Adams county,
where for the past five years he has owned and cultivated a farm of seventy-three
acres in the vicinity of East Lake. His birth occurred in Brooklyn. New York, on the
9th of September, 1862, his parents being John F. and Anna (Roih) Muller, both of
whom were natives of Germany. They emigrated to the United States in the "SOs
but subsequently returned to the fatherland and there spent the remainder of their
lives. Their family numbered three children, two of whom are still living.
Fritz Muller was reared and educated in Germany, accompanying his parents when
they returned to that country. In 1S88, however, when a young man of twenty-six years,
438 HISTORY OF COLORADO
he decided to establish his home on this side of the Atlantic and made the voyage
to the new world, settling first near Fort Madison in Iowa, where he spent two years.
On the expiration of that period. In 1890, he came to Colorado and In this state has
resided continuously throughout the Intervening period of nearly three decades. It
was in 1913 that he purchased his present farm of seventy-three acres In Adams county,
to the further cultivation and improvement of which he has since devoted his time
and energies. He has erected excellent buildings upon the property and the neat and
thrifty appearance of the place Indicates the bupervision of a practical and progressive
owner. The well tilled fields respond readily to the care and labor which he bestows
upon them, annually yielding good crops which find a ready sale on the market.
In 1890, in Denver. Mr. Muller was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Brunz.
He is a republican in politics and. since becoming an American citizen, has supported
the men and measures of that party at the polls. Mr. Muller has won an extensive
circle of warm friends during th'j years of his residence in Adams county and is
widely recognized as a successful agriculturist and esteemed citizen of his community.
An excellent ranch property of two hundred and forty acres in the vicinity of
Henderson pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon it by Its owner, John
Mayberry, who is a progressive agriculturist, accomplishing substantial results In crop
production and in stock raising. He was born in the province of Ontario, Canada,
December 12, 1867, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Keating) Mayberry, who were
natives of Ireland. The father was a farmer by occupation and thus provided for the
support of his family, numbering seven children, of whom John Mayberry of this
review was the second.
Educated in the schools of Ontario to the age of ten years. John Mayberry then
accompanied his parents and the family to Colorado in 1876, after which he continued
his studies in the schools of Denver. His father conducted a hotel in Denver and later
carried on a dairy business in Arapahoe county but subsequently returned to Denver
and became an active factor in the grocery trade of that city. Both the parents con-
tinued to make Denver their home until their deaths.
After completing his education John Mayberry started In business In the dairy
•which his father had established and for fifteen years he successfully conducted it. He
then purchased two hundred and forty acres of land near Henderson and has since
given his time and attention to its further improvement and development. He has
one hundred and sixty acres planted to alfalfa and eighty acres in pasture and upon
his place he is now feeding one hundred head of stock. His has been a life of diligence
and thrift and his intelligently directed efforts have brought most gratifying results.
In Denver, on October 2, 1889. Mr. Mayberry was married to Miss Viola White-
head, a daughter of James and Amanda Wliltehead. She was born in Missouri and came
to Colorado with her parents in 1887. To Mr. and Mrs. Mayberry have been born
ten children: Ralph; Homer; Vassie, the wife of Otto Anger; Evan, who married
Ebba Johnson; Marie; Agnes; Lulu, deceased; Richard; Robert: and Zoe. Homer, after
training at Camp Funston, was transferred to Camp Kearney, and is now serving
with the American army in France, as corporal in Company D, One Hundred and
Mr. Mayberry belongs to Adams City Camp, M. W. A., of which he is venerable
consul. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is a stalwart
champion of its principles but not an office seeker. He never hesitates In the per-
formance of any service that he believes will prove of benefit to his community and,
actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good, has cooperated In many
movements which have been instituted for the improvement and upbuilding of his
FRANK WILLIAM SHERART.
Frank William Sherart, engaged In ranching near Brighton, .vas born in Phillips
county, Kansas, July 23, 1876. a son of William E. and Clara Dale (Stockett) Sherart.
The father's birth occurred in Ohio about a mile from Vermilion, and the mother
was also a native of that state. They were married, however, in St. Elmo, Illinois.
440 HISTORY OF COLORADO
William E. Sherart was a soldier of the Civil war, serving with Company E of the
Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and it was subsequent to his military service that
he removed to Illinois, where he remained for a time and then went to Kansas. In 1882
he came to Colorado and for a year resided at Fort Lupton, after which he purchased
land near Brighton and engaged in farming thereon up to the time of his death, which
occurred in June, 1904. His widow survives and is now living at Brighton.
Frank W. Sherart attended district school No. 10 of Adams county while spending
his youthful days in his parents' home, where he had the association of a brother and
four sisters, these being: Irwin J., who is living near Hazeltine, Colorado; Mrs. A.
L. Scott, whose home is iu Denver; Elizabeth, the wife of Ralph D. Lee; Blanche, the
wife of Frank Ackerman; and Hazel, the wife of Edwin Savage. After his schooldays
were over Frank W. Sherart engaged in mining in the Cripple Creek and Boulder
districts for a year. He afterward settled upon the home farm, which he has since
managed, and through the intervening years he has won a place among the represen-
tative and successful ranchmen of his section of the state. He has brought the land
under a high state of cultivation, has added various improvements and follows the
most progressive methods in the cultivation of the fields and in the production of
On the 14th of February, 1898. Mr. Sherart was married to Miss Nellie A. I^rd,
a daughter of Isaac and Mary (Williams) Liord. She was born in Canton, Illinois,
and was seven years of age when her parents removed with the family to Colorado. By
her marriage she has become the mother of six children, Clara A., William Edward,
Frank Irwin, Harold Lord, Nellie A. and Doris. All are living with the exception
of Frank Irwin.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church, and fraternally
Mr. Sherart is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World.
In his political views he is a democrat, earnest in support of the party and at all times
loyal to his honest convictions. The greater part of his life has been passed in Colorado
and he is imbued by the spirit of western enterprise in all that he undertakes.
CHARLES HENDY, Jr.
Charles Hendy, Jr., the efficient manager of the Ford Plant in Denver and one of
Colorado's leading young business men, is a true son of the mighty west, where his
entire life has been passed. He was bom in North Platte, Nebraska, September 30,
1875, and is a son of Charles and Katie (Jeanette) Hendy.
His father is a native of New York city, but in August, 1869, after having comr
pleted his course in pharmacy, received the appointment of hospital steward in the
United States army. In March, 1870, he was assigned to duty in the Department of the
Platte, coming west to Omaha, and was immediately assigned to Fort Sedgwick, Colo-
rado territory, which was just across the South Platte river from the present town of
Julesburg. It was there that he became a hunter of big game, for the Buffalo then
roamed the prairies of Colorado. Nebraska and Wyoming in great herds. He was
successively transferred to the Sidney barracks, Sidney, Nebraska; Fort McPherson,
Nebraska, just east of North Platte; Fort Sanders, Wyoming, and Fort Fetterman,
Wyoming. It was while at McPherson that he made the acquaintance of William
F. Cody (Buffalo Bill), Kit Carson, and other noted scouts of the early days. While
at Fort Fetterman he was assigned to duty with the Powder River expedition under
command of General George Crock, which went after Chief "Dull Knife's" band of
Sioux Indians, and camped on the north fork of the Powder river. Today Mr. Hendy is
one of six living pensioners in Nebraska of the Federal Government, who have been
pensioned as Indian fighters, for he was engaged in many interesting encounters with
the Indians. In December, 1880, he resigned from the army and removed to North
Platte, Nebraska, where he has pince been engaged in the cattle business, and today is
one of the influential citizens of his home city. While at Fort McPherson, in 1872,
he met and married Katie Jeanette. In their family were three children: William J.,
who was born at Fort McPherson in 1872, and is now a resident of North Platte, Nebraska;
Charles, Jr., of this review; and Mrs. Lillian Westfall, who was born at Fort Fetter-
man and is now living in North Platte.
In early life Charles Hendy, Jr., attended the public schools of Nebraska, and was
graduated from the high school at North Platte in June, 1894. In the fall of the
same year he entered the University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated A. B.
in 1898. During his first two years in that institution he was under the instruction
CHARLES HENDY, Jr.
442 HISTORY OF COLORADO
of General John J. Pershing, then a first lieutenant and commandant of cadets. While
this was a quarter of a century ago, yet Mr. 'Hendy has not forgotten the wonderful
discipline practiced by General Pershing, who at that time gave promise of a great
futiire as a military commander. When the war broke out between Spain and the
United States Mr. Hendy enlisted in the Second Nebraska Regiment, which unfortu-
nately went only as far as Chickamauga Park, Georgia. Before the war closed he
was promoted to sergeant major and was holding ihat title when discharged. Prior
to his graduation from the university he had been captain of the Cadet Military Com-
pany, but as the government did not recognize such military titles, he entered the
service of his country as a private, being mustered in on the lOtli of May, 1898, and
mustered out October 24, 1898. For five years he was a member of tlie Nebraska
National Guard and served on the staff of Adjutant General Barry of that state.
During that time he was connected with the Union Pacific Railroad Company, with
headquarters at North Platte.
On the 5th of October, 1905, Mr. Hendy came to Denver and embarked in the
automobile business, with which he has since been identified. On the 11th of Decem-
ber, 1907, he opened a branch establishment at this place for the Ford Motor Company.
Their present plant was completed December 15. 1913, and is today one of Ford's
largest branches, with a force of three hundred and fifty employes. It was the seventh
branch of the company established in the United States and Mr. Hendy has since been
in control of the entire western district, including Colorado. Wyoming, western
Nebraska and New Mexico. He is a man of excellent business and executive ability
and lias been remarkably successful in his undertakings.
On the 16th of February, 1904, Mr. Hendy was married in North Platte, Nebraska,
to Miss Jessie M. Bratt, a daughter of John Bratl, one of the early and prominent
pioneers of that state. They have one child, Charles Bratt, who was born in Denver,
November 9, 1909. and is now attending the public schools of the city.
Mr. Hendy is a director of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association and also
of the Rotary Club of Denver. He is a member of the Colorado Alumni Association
of the University of Nebraska and is president of the alumni association of Beta
Theta Phi, a Greek letter society. He is likewise a member of the Lakewood Country
Club, the University Club and the Denver Athletic Club. He is a prominent Mason,
having taken the Knight Templar degrees, and has crossed the sands of the desert
with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is today one of tlie prominent business
men of the city and occupies an enviable position in industrial circles.
GUY D. HARMON.
Guy D. Harmon, a farmer and stock raiser of Boulder county, within the borders of
which he was born on the 5th of March, 1867, is a son of Manning and Julia A. (Rexroad)
Harmon, the mother a native of Virginia, while the father was born in Massachusetts.
They were married in Illinois and in 1861 removed to Colorado, settling first at Golden,
where Mr. Harmon devoted his attention to mining for a number of years. He later took
up agricultural pursuits in Boulder county and there purchased a farm which he con-
tinued to develop and improve to the time of his death. His widow survives and has now
reached the age of eight-four years. In their family were six children, five of whom are
Guy D. Harmon was reared and educated in Boulder county and acquired a common
school education. He assisted in the work of the farm during vacation periods and after
his textbooks were put aside and remained at home until he had attained his majority.
He then began farming upon the tract of land which he now owns and occupies, com-
prising one hundred and forty acres situated a half mile south of the village of Lafayette,
and as the years have passed he has continued the work of development and improve-
ment, converting the tract into a valuable farm property. The entire place is well irri-
gated and the land is proving very productive, so that he annually gathers golden harvests.
In 1889 Mr. Harmon was married to Miss Margaret Dixon, a native of England and a
daughter of Charles and Ann (Barker) Dixon, who were born in the same country. They
came to America in 1881, settling in Boulder county. Colorado, where the father passed
away but where the mother still makes her home. Mr. and Mrs. Harmon have become
parents of two children: Frank R., who is associated with his father in business; and
Nellie A., who is now taking a training course in a hospital of Denver.
The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church and fraternally Mr. Harmon is
HISTORY OF COLORADO 443
identified with the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a democrat and while never
an office seeker he has served on the school board. He is interested in all that pertains to
the welfare and progress of his community and his aid and cooperation can be counted
upon to further all measures for the general good.
Charles Newkirk. a farmer and stock raiser of Adams county, devoting his time and
attention to the cultivation of one hundred and ten acres of land and also engaged in
excavating, was born in Chase county. Kansas, November 30, 1871, a son of A. W. and
Nancy (Springsteel) Newkirk, both of whom were natives of Illinois. In early life they
removed to Kansas and in the spring of 1S80 arrived in Colorado, where the mother
passed awa> in 1883. The father is still living and now makes his home in Weld county,
Colorado. They had a family of eleven children, seven of whom survive.
Charles Newkirk was a lad of eight years at the time the family home was estab-
lished in this state and to Colorado's common school system he is indebted for his educa-
tional opportunities. His advantages, however, were somewhat limited owing to the fact
that when he was but twelve years of age it was necessary for him to start out in the
business world and provide for his own support— a thing that he has done continuously
since. The greater part of his life has been devoted to farming and as the years passed
he carefully saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him suffi-
cient capital to enable him to purchase land. He now cultivates a tract of one hundred
and ten acres which he has brought to a high state of development and which in its neat
and thrifty appearance indicates his care, his practical methods and his progressiveness.
In 1895 Mr. Newkirk was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Purcell, a native of
Nebraska, and to them have been born four children: Mildred, who is now the wife of
Harry Brittain; and Floyd, Ruby and Athol, all yet at home.
In his political views Mr. Newkirk is a deiiiocrat but has never been an office seeker,
although at the present time he is serving as deputy sheriff. Whatever he has achieved
is the result of hard work and persistent energy. He early recognized the eternal prin-
ciple that industry wins and his life has been a most industrious and energetic one, bring-
ing him the merited success which crowns persistent labor.
JOHN ALFRED CARLSON.
John Alfred Carlson, deceased, is remembered as one of the representative ranchers
of Larimer county. He lived for a number of years four and a half miles south-
east of Loveland, his place being situated on section 29, township 5, range 65. He
was a representative of that considerable colony of Swedish people who have done
much to develop and improve that section of the state. His birth occurred in Sweden,
July 22, 1866. his parents being Carl and Charolette Anderson, who were natives of
the same country. The father was a miller by trade and followed that pursuit
in Sweden throughout his entire life, his death occurring in 1906. He is survived
by his widow, who yet makes her home in Sweden.
John Alfred Carlson spent his youthful days under the parental roof and acquired
a public school education in Sweden and in America, for in 1886 he crossed the
Atlantic to the new world, being at that time a young man of twenty years. He made
his way first to Denver, where he worked in a smelter for fourteen years, at the end of
which time he came to Larimer county and purchased a farm comprising two hundred
and forty acres of land. This he set about improving and continued the cultivation
of the place throughout his remaining days. He died July 16, 1914, after an illness of
On the 7th of January, 1893, Mr. Carlson was married to Miss Amanda Carlson, a
■daughter of Carl and Eva (Kaise) Carlson, who were natives of Sweden, in which
country Mrs. John A. Carlson was also born, her natal day being March 16, 1869.
Her father followed farming in the old country throughout his entire life and there
his death occurred in April, 1911. while his wife, surviving him for almost five years,
passed away on the 12th of March, 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Carlson became the parents
of nine children: Hedvig; Paul H.; Ruth V.; Myrtle; Hazel L. and Herbert E., twins;
Florence Olga; Walter T.; and Fern Lillian. The last named passed away May 12,
1908, when but nine months old.
MR. AND MRS. JOHN A. CARLSON
• -*"".. Tz"J!T t"
RESIDENCE AND BARN OF MRS. JOHN A. CARLSON
446 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Since the death of her husband Mrs. Carlson has continued upon the home farm,
which is now largely operated as a dairy farm, Holstein cattle being kept for this
Mr. Carlson was a member of the Woodmen of the World and his political alle-
giance was given to the republican party, while his religious faith was that of the
Swedish Lutheran church. He was a man of many admirable traits of character and
his career illustrated what can be accomplished in a business way through unfalter-
ing industry and determination. Steadily and persistently he advanced. He never
had occasion to regret his determination to come to the United States, for he here
found the opportunities which he sought and through their utilization gained a place
among the substantial farmers of Larimer county and was thus able to leave his family
in comfortable financial circumstances, while they also received as a priceless heritage
from the husband and father an untarnished name.
Alfred Peterson, living on section 5, township 9, range 68 west, in Weld county, about
four miles northeast of Berthoud, is numbered among the worthy citizens that Sweden
has furnished to Colorado. His birth occurred at Jungby in that country on the 20th
of May, 1S61, his parents being Peter and Sarah (Jenson) Peterson, who were natives
of Sweden. The father was a farmer of that country throughout his entire life and there
passed away in 1898, but the mother is living and has now reached the age of eighty-
Alfred Peterson spent his youthful days in his native land and pursued his education
in the public schools there. He remained with his parents until he reached the age of
twenty, when in 1S81 he determined to try his fortune in the new world. Severing home
ties, he came to America and crossed the country to Boulder, Colorado, where he worked
as a farm hand for four years. He then rented land for several years and afterward
purchased his present place of two hundred and twenty acres. He has greatly improved
this property, which is now in fine shape, and he has cultivated it successfully throughout
the intervening years. For a long period he engaged in feeding cattle but has now rented
the place to his son and is living in Berthoud, practically retired from business cares
and enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly merits.
On the 16th of June, 1885, Mr. Peterson was married to Miss Matilda Anderson, a
daugflter of Anders and Marie (Isaacson) Anderson, who were natives of Sweden. The
father was a farmer of that county throughout his entire life and there passed away in
1903. while the mother survived until 1907. Mrs. Peterson was born in Sweden, August
4, 1S59. and by her marriage has become the mother of three children: David B.. whose
farm adjoins his father's place; Roy A., who is cultivating the old homestead; and Ruth
C, who is with her parents.
Mr. Peterson has membership with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is a
member of the Farmers' Union. His political allegiance is given to the republican party,
which he has supported since becoming a naturalized American citizen. His religious
belief is that of the Swedish Lutheran church, his membership being at Loveland. where