Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 56 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

he is serving as one of the church trustees. He is interested in all that pertains to the
material, intellectual and moral progress of the community and gives hearty aid and
cooperation to plans and movements for the general good.



CHARLES L. WILSON.



Charles L. Wilson, residing on section 36, township o. range 69, in Larimer county,
in the town of Campion, was born fifteen miles northwest of Denver, January 6. 1870, a
son of George W. and Sarah (Cross) Wilson. He is also a grandson of Lewis Cross, a
very prominent settler of Larimer county, who was the first postmaster of Berthoud at a
period when the stage line brought the mail to that place. He exerted considerable influ-
ence over public thought and action and for a long period filled the office of county com-
missioner, in which connection he did signal service for the community. The parents
of Charles L. Wilson were born in Indiana and removed to Iowa at an early period in
the development of that state. About 1863 the father came to Colorado, at which time
Denver was composed of log buildings. He was afterward associated with his brother in
the erection and operation of a water plant which supplied water to Central City for a



HISTORY OF COLORADO 447

number of years and then sold the plant to the city. Previous to that time he had engaged
in the dairy business. In 18S1 he removed to Larimer county and took up his abode on
a preemption which he had previously entered. He improved that place and continued
its cultivation until 1S91, when he sold the property and bought the Lewis Cross place
at the old town of Berthoud, Lewis Cross having homesteaded the land. George W.
Wilson continued to further develop and improve the place until 1910. and he and his son
Charles together own the farm at the present time and from it secure a good rental.
George W. Wilson is now living in Berthoud. but his wife passed away October 18, 1S87.

Charles L. Wilson was reared and educated in Larimer county, attending the rural
schools. He remained with his parents until he had reached the age of twenty-three years,
when he started out in the business world independently and for two years thereafter
engaged in the cultivation of rented land. He then purchased his present place of one
hundred and twenty acres near Campion, becoming owner of the property in 1895. He
has since greatly improved it and the farm is today in fine shape. He has cultivated it
continuously and in addition to his own residence he has three other houses on the place,
occupied by his help. He keeps everything in excellent condition and his practical and
progressive methods are shown in the fine appearance of his farm, which is one of the
best improved properties of the locality.

In February, 1892, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Ida Hanklns, a daugh-
ter of William A. and Sarah (Alkire) Hankins, who are natives of Indiana. Her father
removed to Taylor county, Iowa, during the pioneer epoch in the development of that
district and while living there enlisted for active service in the Union army as a member
of the Twenty-fifth Missouri Infantry, with which he served for three years during the
Civil war. He continued to engage in farming in Iowa until 1878, when he removed to
Boulder county. Colorado, and there carried on farming until 1880. He then took up his
abode in Larimer county and secured a homestead at Campion, which he improved and
further developed as the years passed by until 1917, when he retired from active busi-
ness. He still resides, however, at Campion and his wife is also living. To Mr. and Mrs.
Wilson have been born seven children but the first born, Grace, died September 17, 1897,
at the age of four years, four months and three days. The others are: Paul, who is farm-
ing his father's place; Geneva, who is attending a missionary school of the Seventh Day
Adventists; Ethyle, also in school; and Bertha. Charles and Ida, at home.

Mr. Wilson has been able to provide liberally for his family, for he has been very
successful in his business affairs and is the owner of considerable other land that he
looks after besides the home place. He makes a business of feeding cattle and in addition
to his property in Larimer county he owns a section and a quarter in Weld county that
is largely devoted to the raising of wheat. He broke the first dry land in northern Colo-
rado, planting an acre to turkey red fall wheat, and he has branched out until in 1918
he raised fifteen thousand bushels. Three years ago he received a check for thirty thou-
sand dollars for wheat raised on a section and a half of land lying mostly in Weld
county. He has made a thorough study of the possibilities for production in dry farming
and has been very successful. He has ever been actuated by a progressive spirit and
was one of the first men in the state to buy the combined harvester and thresher. His
business affairs are most wisely, carefully and profitably conducted and he has at all
times been actuated by a spirit of progress that constitutes an example that many others
have followed. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and his religious
faith is that of the Seventh Day Adventist church.



WILLIAM C. KORTUM,



A well improved farm property is that owned and operated by William C. Kortum
in the vicinity of East Lake. He has been the owner of this place since 1915, in which
year he purchased one hundred and forty-four acres of land that now constitutes one
of the fine farms of Adams county. Mr. Kortum is a native of Holstein, Germany. He
was born July 17, 1864. a son of Detlev and Lena Kortum. The father came to the
United States in 1893 and remained for four years, after which he returned to Germany
but again made his way to the new world in 1912. Both he and his wife have now
passed away. In their family were six children.

William C. Kortum was educated in the schools of his native country and there
worked at farm labor, while for three years he was a member of the German army. In
1890 he came to Colorado, making his way to Denver, and tor eight years he conducted a
dairy. In 1915 he made Investment in his present home place of one hundred and forty-
four acres near East Lake, in Adams county, and has since engaged in farming it, devot-



ยป



448 . HISTORY OF COLORADO

ing his attention largely to the production of wheat and hay. He has a fine house upon
his place and large substantial barns, and in fact all of the improvements are in keeping
with the progressive spirit of modern farming.

On the 9th of April, 1902, Mr. Kortum was married in Denver to Miss Sophie Bunz,
a daughter of Henry Bunz and also a native of Germany who came to America in 1891.
The children of this marriage are: William, who is operating a threshing machine;
Mary, now Mrs. Louis Dierks; Gustaf; and Anna.

In his political views Mr. Kortum is a democrat, having always supported the party
since becoming a naturalized American citizen. His religious faith is that of the Luth-
eran church, his membership being with the congregation that has its house of worship
at Twenty-sixth and Lawrence streets in Denver. He has never had occasion to regret
his determination to come to the new world. Having voluntarily chosen to become an
American citizen and therefore o^ing his allegiance to this land, he has cooperated in
well defined plans and measures for the advancement and progress of community and
commonwealth.



JOSEPH STANDLEY.



Joseph Standley, who passed away on the 14th of January, 1917, was a man whose
high principles and broad mindedness were manifest in every relation of life. His
history is an inspiring one, indicating what may be accomplished through individual
effort directed by keen intelligence and sound judgment. Mr. Standley was a native
of Illinois, born November 1, 1838, and was therefore in the seventy-ninth year of his
age when called to his final rest. In his boyhood days he accompanied his parents to
Nebraska and was there reared upon the home farm, acquiring his education in one
of the typical little district schoolhouses. He had no other educational training, but
in the school of experience learned many valuable lessons. His naturally keen intel-
lect enabled him to glean knowledge from every situation of life and his associates knew
him as a man of broad information and liberal culture. He was a young man of twenty-
five years when In 1863 he came to Colorado, making his way to Central City, Gilpin
county, then called Nevada or Bald Mountain. He engaged in prospesting and in the
early days he purchased a ranch property on Clear creek, of which he remained the
owner for forty years but lived thereon for only one summer. His mining interests
proved profitable. He became ,the owner of the celebrated California mine, which
yielded him a large fortune. He was particularly successful in his mining ventures by
reason of the extreme care which he displayed in making his investments and the
efficiency and economy with which he operated the properties that came under his
control.

Prom Central City Mr. Standley removed to Golden and afterward became a resident
of Denver, becoming a well known figure in financial circles of the capital city. In
1870 he entered into business relations with Joseph A. Thatcher, now chairman of the
board of the Denver National Bank, and thus formed the banking firm of Thatcher
& Standley, taking over the business of the banking house of Warren, Hussey & Com-
pany. After conducting their interests as a private banking institution for three
years the firm of Thatcher & Standley organized the First National Bank of Central
City, the former becoming its president and the latter its vice president. The bank
has maintained a prosperous existence throughout all the intervening years and until
the time of his demise Mr. Standley remained one of its stockholders, while Mr. Thatcher
is still connected with the institution, but both retired as officers about fifteen years
before the death of Mr. Standley. It was in 1884 that these two gentlemen, together
with Dennis Sullivan, William H. James, Edward Eddy and James B. Grant, organized
the Denver National Bank and from that time until called to his final rest Mr. Standley
remained a member of its directorate and rendered most valuable service to the
institution in his sound business advice and Judgment. To other fields Mr. Standley
also extended his efforts. He was prominently connected with the raising of fine horses
in association with J. W. Gaynor of Boulder county and this enterprise, like the others
with which he was connected, proved profitable. In fact whatever he undertook he
carried forward to successful completion, his energy and keen discrimination enabling
him to overcome all obstacles and difficulties which arose in his business career.

It was in 1863 that Joseph Standley was united in marriage to Miss Ellen M.
Shay. Theirs was an ideal home relationship which was terminated in the death of
Mr. Standley on the 14th of January, 1917. His pronounced charactertistics and his
sterling worth are indicated in the following:




JOSEPH STANDLEY



450 HISTORY OF COLORADO

"Denver, February 7, 1917.
"To the Directors of the Denver National Bank, Denver, Colo.
"Gentlemen:

"The committee appointed by your board to draft resolutions on the death of our
highly esteemed director, Mr. Joseph Standley, beg to submit the following:

"Mr. Standley died in San Diego, California, on Sunday, January 14, 1917, of a
paralytic stroke after a brief illness. Mr. Standley was one of our oldest directors. He
joined Mr. Sullivan, Governor Grant, Mr. James, Mr. Eddy, Mr. Sauer and Mr. Thatcher
in organizing the Denver National Bank in December, 1884. From that date, although
a silent man, unpretentious, retiring and unobtrustive. he was a most loyal, earnest
and effective worker in the interest of and the building up of the bank in every way
and at all times during the trying days of 1893 and again in 1907 he stood ready to
place his entire fortune at the disposal of the bank to meet the threatened situation
regardless of his personal interests. Although Mr. Standley lived in Denver more than
thirty years, he was but little known, a quiet man of strong friendships and unques-
tioned loyalty and also of the strictest honor and integrity. In all of his relations,
not only with his friends but with all mankind, his simple word was as good as his
bond in any undertaking.

"Resolved that in the death of Mr. Standley the bank has lost one of its most
valued directors, a kindly, lovable man whose friendship and association were highly
prized by every member of the board, and we hereby extend our deepest sympathy to
Mrs. Standley and all relatives of the family.

"Resolved that these resolutions be recorded in the minute book of the bank and a
copy be engraved and presented to Mrs. Standley.

Respectfully,

"J. A. Thatcher.
"Harry C. Jasies."
Such an appreciation from lifetime friends is indeed a record of which the widow
and the many friends of Mr. Standley may well be proud. Following the death of
her husband Mrs. Standley erected a beautiful mausoleum in Fairmount cemetery at a
cost of fifty-three thousand three hundred and fifty dollars. It is a most artistic
structure, built in the style of Grecian architecture, with heavy bronze doors and having
a height of twenty feet. It was built of Vermont granite and was completed on the
30th of June. 1918. In addition Mrs. Standley has given as a memorial to her husband
the north wing of the City Museum in City Park, which is one hundred and fifty by
seventy feet and was erected at a cost of seventy-five thousand dollars.

In his fraternal relations Mr. Standley was a Mason and always exemplified the
highest principles and purposes of the craft. Loyalty was one of his most marked
characteristics โ€” loyalty to the business interests which he represented, loyalty to his
friends and loyalty to the ideals which he ever cherished. No one ever came to know
Joseph Standley that did not appreciate him at his true worth and his memory will
long be cherished by all who came within the circle of his friendship.



JEREMIAH LEGGETT.



Jeremiah Leggett, whose life record covered a span of almost eighty years, was
born in Licking county. Ohio, May 16, 1837, and passed away In Boulder county,
Colorado, on the 4th of September. 1916. He was a son of James and Elizabeth
(Younger) Leggett, whose family numbered seven children. The father was born in
Virginia in 1816 and removed with his parents to Ohio in his boyhood, settling in
Licking county, where he was reared and married. He early entered upon an appren-
ticeship to the trade of shoemaking, which he followed in Licking county until 1852,
when he removed to Indiana with his family. For two and a half years thereafter
he carried on farming in Henry county, but in 1S54 left Indiana and went to Polk
county, Iowa, where he secured a farm and engaged in dealing extensively in cattle
and hogs. He was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, however, for his death
occurred in 1856. He was a son of Thomas Leggett, a native of Scotland, who in his
youthful days came to the new world, settling in Virginia, where he married and made
his home for a number of years. He afterwards removed to Ohio, where he engaged
in agricultural pursuits until his death. The maternal grandfather of Jeremiah Leg-
gett was also a native of Scotland and became a resident of Virginia in his youthful
days.

The educational opportunities of Jeremiah Leggett were quite limited but he




MR. AND MRS. JEREMIAH LEGGETT



452 HISTORY OF COLORADO

became a well informed man through study, reading and observation. He possessed
an observing eye and retentive memory and was constantly adding to his fund of
knowledge. He was nineteen years of age when his father died and the support of
the family then devolved upon him as he was the eldest of the seven children. On
the 31st of October. 1861, when a young man of twenty-four years, he was married
to Miss Augusta Mary Hinman. a native of Ohio like her husband and a daughter
of Porter T. Hinman, who was born near Buffalo. New York, July 6, 1816. Her
grandfather, Anson Hinman, was for many years judge of the county court and was
prominently identified with military matters, holding the rank of general in the state
militia. Porter Hinman, owing to the death of his parents, was early thrown upon
his own resources and when a lad of fifteen years went to Buffalo and afterward settled
on Grand island, in the Niagara river, where he spent three years as clerk for the
Grand Island Company, a ship-building concern, and afterward he became clerk on the
steamship Constellation, plying on Lake Erie. Two years afterward he removed to
Mansfield, Ohio, where he engaged in teaching a writing school for about five years.
While there he wedded Mary A. Smith and in 1845 removed to Clinton county, Indiana,
where he devoted four years to mining. During the excitement resulting from the
discovery of gold in California he went to the Pacific coast in 1849 and there engaged
in mining and in freighting until 185.^. With his return to the Mississippi valley he
settled in Illinois and for two and a half years was engaged in farming in McDonough
county. He afterward occupied a clerical position in the United States land oflice
at Des Moines. Iowa, and thence removed to Polk City, Iowa, where he operated a saw-
mill, becoming in time proprietor of two sawmills, which he profitably conducted.
'He also served as postmaster of Polk City for three years. In 1860 he came to Colo-
rado, accompanied by his eldest son. and preempted one hundred and sixty acres
of land on Left Hand creek. In 1862 he returned to Iowa but again came to Colo-
rado, this time accompanied by his second son. The next year he once more returned
and brought his family with him to Colorado, subsequent to which time he concentrated
his efforts and attention upon the cultivation of his land. About 1876 he made his way
to the mines of Hahns Peak, and while there identified with mining for three years
he also served as judge of Routt county and postmaster of the town. In 1884 he
was called upon to represent his district in the state legislature, being elected on the
republican ticket. Thus in various ways he left the impress of his individuality
and ability upon the development and the history of the state, passing away June
8, 1894.

After his marriage to Augusta Mary Hinman, Mr. Leggett continued to live upon
the old homestead farm and care for the younger members of his father's family,
but when most of his brothers and sisters had married and left home he, with his
wife and two children, started for Colorado in 1866. They left Polk county, Iowa, on
the 5th of April, crossed the plains with horses and wagons and arrived at Left Hand
creek on the 18th of May. Mr. Leggett had previously visited the state in 1860, in
company with three others, at which time they journeyed with horses and two wagons
and spent six months in the mining regions of the state. After his return to Colorado
Mr. Leggett took up farming on Left Hand creek but a year later removed to Boulder
creek and took charge of the landed interests of the Ni Wot Mining Company, acting
in that capacity for four years. In 1871 he began the cultivation of a farm in Boulder
county and in the following year purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and
removed to that place. Later he extended its boundaries by the further purchase of
one hundred and sixty acres, so that he became the owner of a half section. He always
gave considerable attention to the breeding and raising of cattle and horses, which
constituted an important branch of his business. In 1897 he erected the present
family home, a substantial brick residence, which is one of the attractive country
homes of Boulder county and is known as Clifton Place. His was a busy and useful
life in which energy and enterprise triumphed over difficulties and obstacles and led
the way to success.

Mr. and Mrs. Leggett became the parents of six children. Harriet A., who was
born September 18, 1862, is the widow of Willard Slocum and resides in Loveland,
Larimer county, Colorado. Alice M. was born in August, 1864, and died October 9.
1871. James E. was born August 8, 1866, and passed away January 30, 1867. Edgar
W.. born March 2, 1868, is superintendent of the Rock Springs Mining Company and
resides at Four Mile, in Routt county. Mary E.. born April 17, 1871. graduated from the
State Normal School, then taught school for ten years and is now the wife of Dell C.
Strever, foreman of the Union Pacific shops at Laramie. Wyoming; Nathan H., born
December 2, 1878, married Grace E. Cline and resides at home.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 453

The death of the husband and father occurred September 4, 1916, and he was
laid to rest in the Columbia cemetery at Boulder. He had given his political allegiance
to the republican party and he belonged to Eureka Lodge, No. 1, A. O. U. W., and to
the Boulder Valley Grange, of which he served as master, and for one term he was
overseer of the State Grange. He also served for a decade as president of the Boulder
Industrial Association and for many years was a member of the school board. In a
word, he stood for progress and improvement in public affairs and gave his support
to every measure or movement that was calculated to upbuild the interests of the
community.

Mr. Leggett was a great lover of children, a trait in his character which revealed
the true kindness of his heart. In all his transactions he ever proved himself reliable
and trustworthy and in the real sense of the phrase it may be said of him that his
word was as good as his bond. The rare event of their golden wedding was not a
mere family celebration to Mr. and Mrs. Leggett, which was accompanied with due and
memorable ceremonies, but it was to them most significant as the day from which
they looked back over fifty years of a happy union, in which they had shared joys and
sorrows, hardship and pleasantness. For fifty-four years they lived together until
death separated them. Together they came to this state and with them they had a
team and the fixed determination to succeed, but they were not blessed with money when
they started out to carve a competence from a wilderness. The dangers and hardships
of early life they equably shared in those early days, as they afterward enjoyed the
success which came to them. Through such lives, filled with faithfully performed
duties โ€” performed from day to day and unreservedly โ€” the development, growth and
present prosperity of this commonwealth have been brought about and therefore there
is due to Mr. and Mrs. Leggett the gratitude of a present generation, which enjoys
advantages of which they in their young lives were deprived.

Mrs. Leggett still remains on the old homestead of three hundred and twenty
acres, which is splendidly improved and which her son Nathan now works. She is
a member of the Presbyterian church and she belongs to the Royal Neighbors and
to the Grange. The family has long figured prominently in connection with public
affairs in the county and Mrs. Leggett is held in the highest esteem, as was her



CARL M. EIDSON.



Carl M. Eidson, living on section 2, township 4, range 69. his place being a half mile
east of the railroad at Campion, was born in Weld county, Colorado, August 26, 1884, a
son of Samuel H. and Carrie (Ackerman) Eidson, the former a native of Adams county,
Illinois, and the latter of Michigan. The father was a farmer in Illinois until about
1875, when he came to Colorado, where he was employed as a farm hand for three years.
He then took up a homestead, which he improved and cultivated until 1906, winning
substantial success in the careful conduct of his farm. In the year indicated, however,
he retired from active business life and removed to southern California, where he and
his wife have since resided. The maternal grandparents of Carl M. Eidson were among
the first settlers of Longmont, Boulder county, Colorado. The younger sister of Mrs.
Carrie Ackerman was the first white child born in the colony of Longmont and in recog-
nition of this distinction was later awarded a city lot by the municipality of Longmont.
She disposed of this in 1905 and now makes her home in southern California. Mr. and
Mrs. Samuel H. Eidson became the parents of ten children, as follows: Otto, who is
engaged in farming in Oregon; Elmo W., a resident of Oakland, California; Carl M., of
this review; Lester, who is a member of the United States army; Jean, who passed
away in February, 1915; Gladys, the wife of Lewis Strickler, of Fruitvale, California;



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 108)