Josephine, also living in California; Theodore, a resident of Longbeach, California;
Irwin, who was accidentally drowned; and one who died in infancy.
Carl M. Eidson was reared and educated in Weld county. He attended the rural
schools and also the high school at Loveland, Larimer county, and he remained with his
parents until he had attained his majority, assisting in the work of the farm. He after-
ward rented the home place and also purchased his present ranch of one hundred and
sixty acres but later sold some of his property, now owning one hundred and thirty
acres. He and his brother continued to cultivate the old homestead in addition to the
farm of Carl M. Eidson and resided upon the old home place until 1909, when he removed
to his present farm, which he has since improved in fine shape. This place was also
homesteaded by his uncle, who operated it for a number of years. Carl M. Eidson now
454 HISTORY OF COLORADO
has a nicely improved farm, which he has cultivated according to progressive
methods, productive of excellent results. He is specializing In the raising of
pure bred shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs and the stock raising feature of his
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
business is adding materially to his annual income.
On the 1st of January, 1908, Mr. Eidson was married to Miss Janie L. Drage, a
daughter of Charles H. and Belle (Bransom) Drage. who were natives of Illinois. The
father was a farmer of that state and there carried on general agricultural pursuits
until 1888, when he came to Colorado and settled in Larimer county, where he bought
and improved land, which he has since owned and cultivated. His wife passed away
in March. 1904. Their family numbered four children, as follows: Vivian, a farmer
residing in Weld county: Mrs. Eidson: Alma, the wife of R. S. Foster, who took up a
homestead claim in Weld county and is engaged in agricultural pursuits there; and
C. Leonard, a farmer living in Larimer county. To Mr. and Mrs. Eidson have been
born three children: Carrie Belle, whose birth occurred in' September, 1908; Roland L.,
born May 2. 1913; and Donald Roy, in October, 1915.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Baptist church and Mr. Eidson
belongs to the Fraternal Aid Union. In politics he is a democrat, and while never an
aspirant for political office, he has served as school director. He is interested in all
that has to do with public progress and improvement and he cooperates heartily in all
movements tor the general good. He is a representative of old pioneer families of the
state and the work which was instituted by his father along the lines of agricultural
development has been carried forward by him and he ranks today with the representative
farmers of this district.
JOHN W. GAYNOR.
John W. Gaynor is a well known and highly respected farmer and stockman of
Boulder county and is also one of the veterans of the Civil war. His worth as a
man well entitles him to mention among the substantial citizens of the state. He was
born in Ireland. March 17, 1842, a son of James and Margaret (McElligott) Gaynor,
who were natives of the Emerald isle, whence they came to America in 1847, settling
in Ohio, at which time John W. was a little lad of but five years. The family remained
in Ohio until 1856, when the parents removed to Green county, Wisconsin, where both
spent their remaining days. They had a family of four children, of whom two are
now living, our subject and Peter 0. Gaynor of Pueblo, a civil engineer who was the
originator of the Georgetown loop.
John W. Gaynor was reared and educated in Wisconsin and in 1861 enlisted for
service in the Civil war, being at that time a youth of nineteen years. He became a
member of Company B. Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and with his command went to
the front, serving until the close of hostilities. He participated in the battle of
Shiloh and in a number of other hotly contested engagements and was twice wounded,
once in the thigh at the siege of Vicksburg, the bullet passing through and then
Into the knee of a comrade; and once in the lower leg. While in Georgia he was
taken a prisoner but was held captive for only one day, as at night he succeeded in
making his escape. This occurred during the siege of Atlanta, in which he took
active part, afterward going with Sherman on the celebrated march from Atlanta
to the sea. He was mustered out at Springfield. Illinois, in October, 1865, and returned
to his home with a most creditable military record. He again took up his abode in
Boone county, Illinois, where he had previously lived, and in the spring of 1866 he
drove a mule team for the government across the plains and thus made his initial trip
to Colorado. In the tall of that year he filed on a homestead north of Golden, which
he still owns, and in 188S he purchased the farm whereon he now resides, comprising
fourteen hundred and eighty-nine acres of rich and valuable land, all under the ditch
and splendidly improved. The place is situated two and a half miles south of Long-
mont and is one of the fine ranch properties of the state No accessory or convenience
of the model farm of the twentieth century is lacking upon his place and his pro-
gressive spirit actuates him in all that he has undertaken. He makes a specialty of
feeding and raising stock and his annual sales of stock and of grain reach a large
In 1884 Mr. Gaynor started the Arkansas River & Land Company and put in the
first big ditch in the state. This had a sixty foot head gate in the Arkansas river,
west of La Junta and is one hundred and thirteen miles in length. At first the land
it watered would not sell as the ditch was put in too early.
JOHN W. GAYNOR
456 . HISTORY OF COLORADO
In 1866, in Illinois. Mr. Gaynor was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Gorman,
a native of Illinois, who passed away in Golden, Colorado, in October, 1871. Mr.
Gaynor has always remained true to her memory, never marrying again. In 18S4
he went to old Mexico, where he spent the winter, having mining interests in that
section. In politics he is a republican but has never been an office seeker, and he
proudly wears the little bronze button that proclaims him a member of McPherson
Post. G. A. R. Through his connection with that order he maintains pleasant rela-
tions with his old army comrades and enjoys recalling events and scenes of the war.
He is a self-made man whose prosperity has all been won since he came to Colorado.
Steadily he has advanced and he is today one of the prosperous, highly respected and
honored citizens of Boulder county, for his career has at all times been such as to
commend him to the confidence and high regard of those who know him. He has now
passed the seventy-sixth milestone of life's journey but still remains an active factor
in the world's work and gives personal supervision to the development and control
of his large ranch.
Robert Talbert, a retired ranchman residing at Brighton, has been actively identified
with farming and stock raising interests in Colorado for the past half century and well
merits the rest which he now enjoys. His birth occurred in Burlington. Iowa, on the
13th of January, 1849, his parents being James and Ellen Talbert, who later established
their home in Jackson county, Missouri, where the son was educated. In 1868, when
a young man of twenty years, he made his way to Denver. Colorado, and there secured
employment with the firm of John Hughes & Company, who conducted a stage line and
for whom he tended stock for five years. On the expiration of that period he embarked
in the live stock business on his own account and purchased a tract of eighty acres in
Adams county which is still in his possession. He also rode the range and ran cattle
for twenty-five years but at the end of that time returned to his farm, which he con-
tinued to cultivate successfully until 1918, when he put aside active business cares and
has since lived retired at Brighton. His interests were wisely and carefully managed,
so that substantial success rewarded his efforts and gained him recognition among the
representative ranchmen of his district.
On the 14th of November, 1877, Mr. Talbert was united in marriage to Miss Louisa
Noble, a native of Salt Lake City, Utah, and a daughter of Albert and Maria Noble.
They have become the parents of five children, as follows: Delroy C; Inez, who is the
wife of John McManus and has a daughter, lola; and Robert Blaine, Russell and Ethel,
all of whom have passed away.
In his political views Mr. Talbert is a stanch democrat, while fraternally he is
identified with the Woodmen of the World and the Knights of Pythias. He is likewise
a member of the Grange. He has been an interested witness of the growth and devel-
opment of his section of the state through the past half century and has ever borne
his full share in the work of progress and upbuilding, while his own career has been
such as to win and retain the high regard and esteem of all with whom he has been
brought in contact in business or social relations.
Samuel Hartsel had almost reached the eighty-fourth milestone on life's journey
when death called him. His friends will miss him, but the memory of his beautiful life,
of his sincerity and simplicity, will not be forgotten. They will not mourn for him as
they would for a young man cut off in the flower and promise of his youth but will
rejoice in his memory as that of a man who laid down his task in the twilight of the
day, when all that he had to do had been nobly and fully completed. He had remained
active in business to the last and no long illness terminated his passing. Only on the
day of his demise he had visited his office in the Ferguson building in Denver, in which
city for a number of years he had made his home following long connection with exten-
sive ranching and cattle raising interests in Park county. He had for fifty-eight years
been identified with the development of the west and even in the evening of life, when
success in substantial measure had come to him, he would not put aside business cares
and duties. Such a record should put to shame many a man who, grown weary of the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 457
struggles and trials of life, would relegate to others the burdens that he should bear.
Mr. Hartsel found interest and pleasure in business to the last. His plans were ever
carefully thought out and promptly executed, and what he accomplished represented the
fit utilization of his innate powers and talents.
Mr. Hartsel was born November 22, 1834, in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, near the
town of Bethlehem, a son of Jacob and Katherine (Hartman) Hartsel, who were also
natives of the Keystone state. The founder of the family in the new world came from
Switzerland in 1735. Jacob Hartsel was a farmer by occupation and thus provided for
the support of his family, which numbered ten children, all of whom are now deceased.
The parents have long since passed away.
Samuel Hartsel was educated in private schools and early began work upon the home
farm. In 1850 he removed westward to Ohio, settling near Youngstown, where he
remained for two years and then returned to Pennsylvania. In 1852, however, he became
a resident of Benton county, Indiana, where he remained until 1856, when he removed
to Dubuque, Iowa, where he continued until the spring of 1857. At that date he estab-
lished his home in Leavenworth, Kansas, and was employed by the famous overland
company of Russell, Majors & Waddell until the spring of 1860, when he started from
Atchison, Kansas, along the Platte River trail and arrived in Denver on the 22d of
May, 1860, and on May 25th he reached Hartsel, which was named for him. The journey
westward had been made in an ox train and he located at the placer mining town of
Hamilton, on Tarryall creek, near the present town of Como. Although the mining
excitement had brought him to Colorado, he gave up mining within a few months and
spent two years in herding cattle by the month at from a dollar and a halt to two dollars
and a half per head, being employed by the Hamlin Cattle Company. In the fall of 1862
he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, a tract which constituted the nucleus of
the Hartsel ranch, comprising nine thousand acres of patented land and three thousand
acres of leased land, becoming one of the largest and best stocked cattle ranches of the
state. He also developed the Hartsel hot springs and the Hartsel town site. His origi-
nal homestead cabin is still the central part of the main ranch house, its huge fireplace
having made the cabin an attractive sitting room through fifty-six years. There is
no phase of pioneer life with which Mr. Hartsel was not familiar. In 1866, after a
round trip requiring two years and marked by two attacks from Indians, he reached
Colorado with the first herd of thoroughbred shorthorn cattle brought into the state,
which he had purchased from Mr. Cobb, father of Mrs. Gordon Jones, having made the
trip from Missouri. Seven of his Mexican herders were killed in the Indian battles on
the Kansas plains. Mr. Hartsel himself was at one time captured by Indians, this occur-
ring when he was picking wild raspberries in the Puma hills, about twenty miles from
his ranch, and about two years after he had brought his shorthorns to Colorado. After
a brief period, however, he was released. He always remained a cattle man and spe-
cialized for many years in the raising of shorthorns. His first ranch was located
on Tarryall creek, about three miles below Hamilton, but in 1862 he removed to another
part of Park county, settling in a district that has since been known as Hartsel. There
he located at the junction of the two Plattes and resided upon his ranch for a half
century, at the end of which time he sold out and also disposed of the Hartsel town site
and the Hartsel hot springs. His business affairs were always most energetically, wisely
and carefully directed and success in substantial measure came to him. Although he
practically lived retired after disposing of his ranch and removing to Denver, he was
nevertheless connected with investment interests and spent much time in looking after
several pieces of residence property which he owned in the city, maintaining an office
in the Ferguson building. He became a large property owner in Denver, and his keen
judgment in business affairs remained unimpaired to the last, he spending several
hours in his office in the management of his interests the day of his demise. He always
maintained a deep interest in the pioneers, realizing how valuable was their contribu-
tion to the development of the state, and he spent much time in visiting the early
settlers, delighting in the reminiscences of the early days. He made it a point to
attend the funerals of the pioneer settlers of Colorado whenever it was possible for
him to do so and he was long a valued member of the Pioneer Society and also of the
Sons of Colorado.
On the 1st of April, 1877, Mr. Hartsel was united in marriage to Mrs. Nancy B.
Mayol, the widow of Frank Mayol, a pioneer, who passed away in Chaffee county. Mrs.
Hartsel bore the maiden name of Nancy Boone and was born near Millersburg, Ohio.
By her second marriage she became the mother of the following children: Katherine,
who is the wife of Dr. F. E. Prewitt, of Denver; Myrtle Louisa, who gave her hand in
marriage to George W. Schoephoester, who died of influenza, December 7, 1918; Henri-
458 HISTORY OF COLORADO
etta S., the wife of Paul J. Donovan; and Samuel B., who died in infancy. The wife
and mother passed away in Denver, March 29, 1910.
In his political views Mr. Hartsel was always a republican from the time he cast
his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont, ever remaining most loyal to the prin-
ciples of the party. While in Park county he served as county commissioner and also
as assessor, making a creditable record in office. His religious faith was that of the
Presbyterian church and his life was guided according to its teachings. He never
deviated from a course that he deemed right between himself and his fellowmen, and
the respect and honor accorded him were the legitimate outcome of the manly and honor-
able course that he ever followed in all of his relations with his fellowmen. His life
and his character were as clear as the sunlight. His record was as the day with its
morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and suc-
cessful effort, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night.
HARVEY H. GRIFFIN.
Harvey H. Griffin, one of Colorado's native sons who has always believed in the
opportunities of the state, is now agricultural superintendent for the sugar company
at Fort Collins. He was born on the old family homestead near Brighton on the
8th of February, 1866, and is a brother of George M. Griffin, in connection with whose
sketch on another page of this work is made mention of the family and their long
identification with Colorado, dating from early pioneer times to the present. Harvey
H. Griffin completed his education at Fort Collins, being graduated from the Colorado
State Agricultural College in the class of June, 1888. He was afterward employed
at the agricultural experiment stations of Colorado and New Mexico for fifteen years.
He was subsequently made agricultural superintendent of the Fort Collins sugar
factory, which is his present business connection. His previous experience well
qualifies him for the work which he has assumed and he is most faithful, competent
and progressive in the discharge of his duties, his labors contributing in no small
measure to the success of the undertaking.
On the 1st of January, 1889, Mr. Griffin was united in marriage at Fort Collins
to Miss Lillian E. Post, a daughter of William M. and Emeline (Emmons) Post.
They have become the parents of seven children as follows: Edward M., who wedded
Miss Gladys Mitchell; Myron H., who married Agnes Saunders; Helene and Lucile,
twins; Florence; Norma; and Lenore.
Mr. Griffin is connected with Empire Grange No. 148 and he is thoroughly inter-
ested in everything that has to do with farming conditions and the improvement of
agricultural methods throughout the state. He has studied broadly and deeply along
these lines and his progressive ideas have constituted an influencing factor for good
in Colorado. His religious faith is that of the Unitarian church, to which he belongs.
Victor Peterson, residing on section 20, township 8, range 6S, five and a half miles
northeast of Fort Collins, is largely engaged in feeding cattle, sheep and hogs. He
has a well developed ranch property which is the visible evidence of his life of intel-
ligently directed energy and thrift. He was born in Sweden, January 17, 1864, a
son of Peter and Eva (Peterson) Peterson, who were natives of Sweden. The father
was a farmer who throughout his entire life carried on agricultural pursuits in
Sweden, where he died in 1886, while his wife passed away in 1888.
Victor Peterson was reared and educated in Sweden and remained with his
parents until he reached the age of seventeen years, when he came to America,
attracted by the better and broader business opportunities which he believed he might
secure in this country. It was in ISSO that he crossed the Atlantic and, tarrying
not on the Atlantic coast, he made his way to Boulder, Colorado, where he was em-
ployed by others. He also worked at Longmont and at Loveland, Colorado, being
employed in the coal and mineral mines until 1890, when he came to Larimer county
and rented land. He thus engaged in farming tor thirteen years and on the expira-
tion of that period purchased his present place of one hundred and sixty acres, which
he at once began to Improve and develop. He has continued its cultivation since
that time and now has a valuable property. He has also bought more land and at
MR. AND MRS. VICTOR PETERSON
460 HISTORY OF COLORADO
one time was the owner of a hundred-acre tract south of Port Collins, which, however,
he sold in the fall of 1918. He makes a specialty of feeding sheep, cattle and hoga,
annually selling particularly a large number of hogs. He has made good at everything
that he has undertaken and he has a splendidly improved farm. Upon his place is
a nice orchard largely planted to apples, and there is no accessory or convenience of
the model farm of the twentieth century that is lacking upon his property, the entire
ranch indicating his progressive spirit.
On the 6th of June, 1890, Mr. Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Matilda
Johnson and to them were born two children: Arthur Eugene, who died in 1902, at
the age of eleven years; and Clarence T., who married Rachel Childers and is now
operating the old home farm, which he has purchased. The wife and mother passed
away in 1914, after an illness of six days.
Mr. Peterson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being con-
nected with the lodge, the canton and the encampment. He is also identified with
the Woodmen of the World. In politics he maintains an independent course, while
his religious faith is that of the Lutheran church. He has always regarded it a
fortunate day when he decided to come to America and try his opportunities in this
country. Here he found the business chances which he sought and in their utilization
has steadily advanced, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he has
undertaken and winning that prosperity which is the direct result of unfaltering labor
William Eickel, proprietor of the Grandview Hotel at Berthoud, was born in Essen,
Germany, May 22, 1862, a son of William and Caroline (Koch) Eickel, who were natives
of the same country. The father was a tailor by trade and always worked at that occu-
pation in his native land, where he passed away in March, 1891. His widow survived
him until November, 1898.
William Eickel of this review was reared and educated in Germany and there learned
the machinist's trade, which he followed in his native country until 1891, when he came
to America and took up his abode in Philadelphia. There he secured a position with
the government at the Midwell Steel Works, where he made big guns for seventeen years
or until 1908, when he removed to Denver and embarked in the grocery business on his
own account. He conducted his store there for eight years, after which he removed
to Berthoud, Larimer county, and purchased the Grandview Hotel, which he has since
owned and conducted.
In September, 1888, Mr. Eickel was united in marriage to Miss Matilda DeWild,
the wedding being celebrated in Germany. Mrs. Eickel is a daughter of Gerhard and
Matilda (Martin) DeWild, the former a native of Holland, while the latter was born
in Germany. Mrs. Eickel's birth occurred in Holland, March 30, 1866. Her father was
a merchant of that country for many years and is still living in Holland, although he
has frequently paid visits in America. His wife is also living. Mrs. Eickel was edu-
cated in a convent in Holland and remained with her parents up to the time of her
marriage, which was celebrated in Germany, where Mr. and Mrs. Eickel continued to
make their home for three years and then came to the new world. Their religious faith
is that of the Catholic church and in his political views Mr. Eickel is a democrat. He
is conducting a good hotel, liberally patronized, and the capable management of his
business affairs is bringing to him a substantial measure of prosperity.
John Lauridson, a prosperous agriculturist of Adams county, is actively engaged
in the operation of a farm of eighty-one acres on section 31, township 2, range 67. He
was born in Denmark on the 9th of September, 1883, a son of Diedrich and Karen
(Jorenson) Lauridson, who spent their entire lives in that country. They became the
parents of three children, all of whom are living and reside in Denmark with the
exception of the subject of this review.
John Lauridson spent the period of his minority in the land of his nativity, there
acquiring his education. In 1904, when a young man of twenty-one years, he crossed
the Atlantic to the United States and made his way across the country to Colorado,
HISTORY OF COLORADO 461
here securing employment as a farm hand. Two years later he began the operation
of a rented farm and when six years had been thus passed he found himself in possession
of sTifBcient capital to enable him to purchase property. It was then that he secured
his present place of eighty-one acres on section 31, township 2. range 67, in Adams