county, all of the land being under the ditch, and as the years have passed he has
brought his fields under a high state of cultivation and improvement. Industrious,
energetic and enterprising, success has attended bis efforts in the work of general farm-
ing, the excelleht crops which he gathers bringing him a gratifying annual income.
In 1912 Mr. Lauridson was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Lauridson, who
though of the same name was not a relative. She is also a native of Denmark and a
daughter of Graves and Bodil Lauridson, who never left that country. Mr. and Mrs.
John Lauridson are now the parents of four children, namely: Clarence R., Carl R.,
Donald G. and Mary E.
In his political views Mr. Lauridson is a democrat, while his religious faith is that
of the Lutheran church, of which both he and his wife are devoted and consistent mem-
bers. He also belongs to the Grange and takes an active and helpful interest in all
matters pertaining to the advancement and upbuilding of the community. He has never
regretted the fact that in young manhood he determined to take advantage of the oppor-
tunities offered in the new world. His present success is self-acquired, being the merited
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
reward of his well directed industry, indefatigable energy and sound judgment.
The year 1S59 witnessed the arrival of James Tynon in Colorado and for a long
period he was identified with farming interests in this state. His genuine personal
worth gained for him the friendship and high regard of those with, whom he was
brought in contact, causing his death to be a matter of deep regret to those who knew
him. He was born in the city of Alexandria, Virginia, November 2, 1835. and acquired
a good common school education, having a special fondness for history. He main-
tained his studious habits throughout his entire life, constantly broadening his knowl-
edge by observation and reading. From 1851 until 1853 he directed his uncle's herring
fishery and other commercial business interests on the Potomac, near Mount Vernon.
Subsequently he went to Boston, Massachusetts, and was connected with the grocery
and jobbing business until 1856. when he disposed of his interests in that connection.
Removing to Florida, he was there associated with the coast survey for two yearsi
and in the summer of 1858 he made his way up the Mississippi to the mouth of Swan
river, where he spent the winter, being engaged in buying and selling hides and furs
during that period.
It was about that time — in 1858 — that Mr. Tynon was united in marriage to Miss
Rebecca Bulmer and to them were born three children, a daughter, Adeline, and two
who died in childhood. In the spring of 1859 Mr. Tynon started across the plains
for Pike's Peak, following the Platte River trail and proceeding as far as Beaver creek,
near where the town of Fort Morgan now stands. Having suffered from several
hemorrhages of the lungs, he concluded to remain in Colorado and engaged in freight-
ing on the plains of the state. He crossed the plains forty-four times from various
points on the Missouri river to Denver and had numerous skirmishes with hostile
Indians. Regaining perfect health in his outdoor lite, Mr. Tynon then engaged in the
grocery business in Denver, at Fifteenth and Wazee streets, then called F street. The
letter of credit which he required from each new settler who traded with him was
that he should have a wife, two children and also possess a yoke of cattle or a span
of horses. Upon these certificates of solvency and honesty Mr. Tynon would load their
wagons with a year's provisions, thus giving them a chance to keep a few milch cows
and their increase of calves. Once or twice a year they came to Denver to report
progress. If the birth of a child in the family was reported, he gave the happy parents
a gallon of wine. The settlers of this section all prospered for about six years and
Mr. Tynon did not think there were more honest men or women in any country than
those around him. They were loyal to the trust which he reposed in them, their word
proving good if life lasted or the Indians left their scalps. He never took a mortgage
on their farms for security or ever received an acre of land for debt or trade. In 1879
he closed out his grocery business but still carried on the hide and wool business until
1882, when he disposed of his interests in the latter and devoted his time to improv-
ing his farm and ranch, the one consisting of six hundred and forty acres situated
nine miles west of Denver near Westminster and the other of twenty-four hundred
MRS. REBECCA TYNON
464 HISTORY OF COLORADO
acres, twenty-five miles from Denver on Running creek. He planted an orchard in
oblong shape, containing eight thousand apple trees, with a fine graded gravel drive-
way fifty feet wide between orchard and lake, and called it the Jefferson County Farm.
Mr. Tynon laid out on his land the Tynon addition to the city of Denver, thus creating
a part of the city which has proven of great benefit to its growth. His enterprise was
evident in many ways, but one instance may be cited here as an example, for it was
he who induced the street car company to extend their car line to North Denver,
obtaining this desired result by giving to the company a block of land. Mr. Tynon was
also closely connected with actual building operations, having erected a number of
houses. He looked after his interests until 1914. when he retired from active business,
spending his remaining days in the enjoyment of well earned rest, his death occurring
on the 6th of March, 1918, when he was in the eighty-third year of his age. He was
ever a loyal member of the Masonic fraternity and exemplified in his life the beneficent
spirit and purpose of the craft. His course was ever straightforward and honorable
and the policy which he pursued in relation to the early settlers constituted a most
important element in the development of the section of the state, as it allowed the
early settlers to gain a start. He was a man of generous spirit, of high principle and
friendly disposition, and the sterling worth of his character commanded for him the
esteem and admiration of all who knew him.
Mrs. Tynon, who preceded her husband in death by twenty years, passing away
January 21, 1898, was a native of Westmoreland county. New Brunswick, and there
she was educated. In Boston. Massachusetts, in 1858. she met and married James
Tynon. She was a woman of the highest qualities of character, who ever took a
great interest in church work, and particularly was she interested in the old Lawrence
Street Trinity church in Denver, to the welfare of which she earenstly and tirelessly
gave her efforts. — in fact its charities and humanitarian branches found her ever
among the leaders. The oldest members of the church still tenderly remember her
kind, motherly ways and her unselfish consideration tor others. Because of these
Christian duties, however, she never neglected her own household but on the contrary
was a steadfast, true and real helpmate to her husband.
Her daughter, Adeline Tynon, was educated at Loretta Academy in Denver and
later in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where she spent two years at the Moravian Seminary.
During her entire life she has been closely associated with her cherished parents both
as a daughter and constant companion. After the passing of her mother she was
her father's sole solace and close associate as well as business aid. Miss Tynan is a
member of the Eastern Star, the White Shrine and the Territorial Daughters. She
greatly contributed to the pleasure of her parents by her real ability as an artist.
Her home is filled with examples of paintings that express her trueness of conception.
her thorough appreciation of color schemes and blending and her cleverness in
technique. There are many watercolors of Colorado scenes as well as paintings in
oil. representing portraits, lansdcapes and still life, as well as pictures which have
been done in silk and wool. In her quiet life Miss Tynon gives honor to the memory
of her beloved mother and father, the latter of whom she so recently lost in death.
EDWIN WIGHT GIDDINGS.
Edwin Wight Giddings. merchant, mine owner, banker and holder of valuable real
estate interests, to whom, however, business was but one phase of his existence, for
another side of his nature showed broad charity, liberal philanthropy and assistance
of all those projects and measures which are of cultural and moral worth and value,
came to be recognized as one of Colorado Springs' foremost citizens, so that his death
was deeply deplored when on the 6th of December. 1913, he passed away. He was
twenty-four years of age when he came to this state from Romeo, Michigan, his native
city, and took up his abode in Colorado Springs, where he lived for more than four
decades. He traveled extensively over the state in the early days and in other sec-
tions of the west, representing a commercial house of Denver, and thus he established
a very wide acquaintance, winning friendships that endured throughout life. He was
most widely known throughout the Rocky Mountain region and wherever known was
held in the highest esteem. He became an active factor in the commercial circles
of Colorado Springs when forty years prior to his death he established a dry goods
store on South Tejon street. A few years later a change in the firm led to the adoption
of the style of Giddings Brothers & Bent and at a later period the firm became Giddings
Brothers. As the years passed they developed one of the largest and best known depart-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 465
ment stores in their section of the state and also one of the most substantial in the
west. The methods of the house would bear the closest investigation and scrutiny and
every effort was put forth to please the patrons, so that it came to be recognized "once
a customer, always a customer" with the Giddings house. In the early '90s Edwin W.
Giddings erected a brick block at the corner of Tejon and Kiowa streets in Colorado
Springs and remained an active factor in the control of the business until 1911, when
he and his brother withdrew to be succeeded by his son, Ralph O., and T. C. Kirkwood.
the present well known firm of Giddings & Kirkwood. After laying the foundation
of his fortune in the mercantile business Mr. Giddings began investing largely in lands
and live stock not only in Colorado but in other western states. He also became an
investor in mining properties in the Cripple Creek district and was one of the owners
of the Strong mine, one of the big producers of that region. He was likewise interested
in several other properties, including the El Paso Gold King. He shared largely in the
development of the gold camp and was one of the men who bore the brunt of early
struggles in that region. He became identified with the banking interests of Colorado
Springs, holding a large amount of stock in two of the leading moneyed institutions of
the city, and he was also the owner of "Commission Row" at the corner of Huerfano
and South Cascade avenue, together with two buildings on South Tejon street.
On the 19th of May, 1870, Mr. Giddings was married in Romeo, Michigan, to Miss
Hester Elizabeth Ayres, whose parents were from the state of New York. Mr. and Mrs.
Giddings became parents of four children: Louis E., now of Colorado Springs; Sarah A.,
the wife of Dr. B. B. Griffith, of Springfield, Illinois, by whom she has two children;
Ralph 0., of Colorado Springs, who has two children; and Roy W.. of San Diego, Cali-
fornia, father of four children.
While Mr. Giddings was regarded as one of the wealthiest men in Colorado Springs,
it was well known that his success resulted entirely from his own efforts, his good busi-
ness judgment and his irreproachable integrity. His word came to be recognized as of
sterling worth. It was on a par with any bond solemnized by signature and seal. He
did not weigh his acts in the scale of policy but tested them by the standard of right,
and in all of his business affairs he was never known to take advantage of the necessi-
ties of his fellowmen.
Mr. Giddings was prominent in Masonic circles, holding membership in El Paso
Lodge. No. 13, A. P. & A. M., almost from the time of its organization until his demise.
He also had membership in Pikes Peak Commandery. No. 6, K. T., and he belonged to
Colorado Springs Lodge, No, 309. B. P. 0. E. He had membership in the El Paso Club,
but in later years his time was divided between his office and his home, which, accord-
ing to a contemporary biographer, "became the Mecca for hundreds of people who had
personal troubles to relate or friendships to renew." Mr. Giddings belonged to no church
but was a generous supporter of all. He believed firmly in the good which they pro-
moted and his aid could be counted upon to further any cause which he considered of
value in bringing higher ideals to the individual and higher standards of community
service. The hospitals of the city indeed numbered him as a benefactor and in each
institution of the kind in Colorado Springs there were many patients who were there
recuperating through the kindly generosity of Mr. Giddings. He became one of the
organizers and strongest supporters of the old Chamber of Commerce and with its
revival some three years before his death he was elected, though much against his will,,
to the presidency and continued in the office for two years, filling the position at the
sacrifice of his business affairs, his time and his strength. He was a most charitable
man and his benevolences were many, yet frequently none knew of them save himself
and the recipient. He had the faculty of placing young or old, rich or poor, at ease
in his presence. Friendship was to him no mere idle term. It meant personal obliga-
tion as well as companionship — the obligation to assist wherever and whenever he could.
He cared nothing for society in the usually accepted sense of the term, but he drew
his friends to him with "hoops of steel." His widow still occupies the family home
in Colorado Springs and is one of the city's most earnest workers along the lines of
charity, civic development and war service, her labors being far-reaching and beneficial.
HARRISON K. HANKINS.
Harrison K. Hankins. residing on a ranch a mile north of Berthoud, in I>arimer
county, was born in Indiana, September 27, 1847, a son of David and Rebecca (Pace)
Hankins, who were natives of Knoxville, Tennessee. The father was a farmer by occu-
pation and at a very early day removed to Indiana, where he purchased land which
Vol. IV— 3
466 HISTORY OF COLORADO
he improved and cultivated for some time, becoming closely identified with the pioneer
development of that state. He afterward sold his property there and went to south-
western Iowa, where he again purchased and improved a farm, of which he became
owner in 1855. He continued the cultivation of that land until 1890, when he came
to Larimer county. Colorado, where he purchased a little place, residing thereon for
several years. He then retired from active business life and made his home with his
daughter at Windsor. Colorado, to the time of his death, which occurred on the 17th of
August, 1898. His widow survived for a number of years, passing away in the fall
Harrison K. Hankins was reared and educated in Iowa and remained with his
parents until he attained his majority. He then rented land which he cultivated for a
time until his industry and economy had brought him sufficient capital to enable him
to purchase a farm. He afterward improved and operated his land until 1881, when he
came to Larimer county, Colorado. For a year thereafter he rented land and then pur-
chased a place which he continued to cultivate for Ihree years. On selling that prop-
erty he returned to Iowa but never unpacked his goods in the latter state. He returned
to Colorado with Larimer county as his destination and bought his present place of one
hundred and sixty acres. This he set about improving and has since operated it. He
has won success as the years have passed, bringing his land under a high state of
cultivation and adding to it many improvements in the way of good buildings.
On the 18th of August. 1869, Mr. Hankins was united in marriage to Miss Mary A.
Lindsey. a daughter of John and Margaret (Alkire) Lindsey, who were natives of Illi-
nois and of Ohio respectively. The father was a farmer in Indiana and Minnesota and
afterward removed to Iowa, where he purchased land which he continued to cultivate
throughout his remaining days. He died August 12, 1889, while his wife survived until
Janiiary 30. 1905. Mr. and Mrs. Hankins have become the parents of five children:
Harry, who is farming with his father; Ina, the wife of Frank Kee, living in Windsor,
Colorado; Bert, whose home is at Wellington, Colorado; and two who have passed
away. Jlinnie, who was the eldest, died July 4, 1877, at the age of five years, and
Fred died in August, 1911, at the age of thirty-one years.
In his political views Mr. Hankins has always been a democrat. He has held
several local offices, including that of school director, but his time and attention iiave
been largely devoted to his business affairs and he has made a specialty of feeding
sheep for a number of years, while his son is engaged largely in the raising of Holstein
cattle. Fraternally Mr. Hankins is connected with the Masonic order and is a worthy
exemplar of the craft, loyally following its teachings. His religious faith is that of
the United Brethren church and his aid and influence are given at all times on the
side of right, progress, reform and improvement.
ERNEST W. THAYER.
Ernest W. Thayer, classed with the enterprising and progressive citizens of
Timnath, is now the cashier of the Farmers Bank of Timnath. He was born in
.South Deerfield, Massachusetts, July 25, 1884. a son of Henry H. and Sarah (.Dickin-
son) Thayer, who are likewise natives of the old Bay state. The father followed
farming in Massachusetts until October 5, 1S94. when he sought the opportunities
offered in the growing west and became a resident of Greeley, Colorado. Subsequently
he took up his abode upon a farm a mile and a half south of Timnath, which he pur-
chased. He at once began developing the place and the plow soon wrought a marked
transformation in its appearance. Year by year he carefully tilled his fields and har-
vested good crops until 1908. when he retired from active business life and removed
to Timnath. where he has since made his home, his earnest toil in previous years
having brought to him a comfortable competence that now enables him to enjoy all
of life's necessities and many of its luxuries. His wife is also living.
Ernest W. Thayer, spending his youthful days in Massachusetts and in Larimer
county, Colorado, pursued his education in the public schools of the two states and
afterward was graduated from the commercial department of the Agricultural College
at Fort Collins. For a year he engaged in bookkeeping in Timnath and then in com-
pany with I. J. Meade and John A. Cross organized the Farmers Bank of Timnath,
which was established as a private bank, but later they took out a state charter. From
the beginning Mr. Thayer has served as cashier and has contributed in no small degree
to the success of the bank, which was organized June 21, 1906, with a capital stock
of ten thousand dollars, which sum has since been increased to fifteen thousand dollars.
468 HISTORY OF COLORADO
The bank now has a surplus ot twenty-five thousand dollars and its deposits amount
to two hundred and fifty-one thousand dollars. The other officers are: J. M. Edwards,
president; H. H. Thayer and H. G. Springer, vice presidents.
On the 17th ot June. 1908, Mr. Thayer was united in marriage to Miss Roxie
Love, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Love. The father, a native of New York,
took up his abode among the pioneer settlers of Dawson county, Nebraska, and there
devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits throughout his active busi-
ness career. He still resides on his farm there but is now living retired in the enjoy-
ment of well earned rest.
Mr. Thayer is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a
loyal adherent of the society. He belongs to the Presbyterian church, to the support of
which he makes generous contribution, and he is a stanch advocate of republican prin-
ciples. It is characteristic of him that he gives earnest support to any cause or move-
ment which he espouses and he is always recognized as a champion of the best interests
of his community.
U. S. GRANT FREDERICK.
U. S. Grant Frederick, living seven miles southeast of Fort Collins, in Larimer
county, was born in Johnson county, Iowa, in January, 1S66, a son of Phillip S, and
Nancy (Keagy) Frederick, who were natives of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.
The father was a painter by trade and followed that pursuit in Pennsylvania until
he removed westward to Iowa at an early day. He purchased land in Johnson county,
where he carried on farming for a time, and after the outbreak of the Civil war he
enlisted for service in the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry. He was in camp from Mon-
day until Saturday, when he was discharged on account of the condition of his health.
He then returned to Iowa and later went to Missouri, where he purchased land, which
he improved, but on account of his health he could not do much work upon it and
accordingly he rented the land most of the time. In 1879 he came to Colorado, driving
across the country from Missouri, the trip being made for the benefit of his health.
He settled in Larimer county, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres ot land,
upon which his son Grant now resides. He at once began to develop and improve the
place and continued its further cultivation throughout his remaining days, his death
occurring in January. 1901, when he had reached the age of seventy-three years. His
wife passed away in 1907. when seventy years of age.
Grant Frederick was reared and educated in Missouri and in Larimer county,
Colorado, being thirteen years of age when brought by his parents to this state. There
■were eight children, and three sons and two daughters died within fourteen days of
scarlet fever prior to the father's death. Mr. Frederick of this review became identified
with the farming interests of Colorado through the purchase of eighty acres of the old
home farm, which he has since continued to develop and improve until he now has it
in splendid shape. He has continued its cultivation throughout the intervening years
and has made of it an excellent property whereon he raises high grade stock, making
a specialty of feeding sheep.
On the 2Sth of August, 1895. Mr. Frederick was married to Miss Magdalena L.
Franz, and to them were born four children, Henry P., Florence E., Harvey C.
and Esther C, who was the first born and died in 1898, when only three months old.
Mr. Frederick is a member of the Woodmen of the World and also of the Improved
Order of Red Men. He has always voted with the republican party and is a stanch
advocate of its principles but does not seek nor desire oflSce. His religious faith is that
of the Presbyterian church and his loyalty to its teachings has made him a highly
respected citizen of his community.
E. K. C. EVANS.
E. K. C. Evans is now living retired in Loveland but for many years was actively
engaged in farming in Larimer county, making his home four and a half miles south-
east of Loveland. The rest which he is now enjoying is well merited for he has earned
it through earnest and unfaltering labor. He was born in Pennsylvania. June 7.
1838, a son ot North and Mary (Black) Evans, who were natives of Wales and came to
470 HISTORY OF COLORADO
America in early life. They settled in Pennsylvania, where the father purchased land
and carried on farming throughout his remaining days.
E. K. C. Evans spent his youth in Pennsylvania and pursued a public school edu-
cation there. He worked for bis father until after the outbreak of the Civil war,
when he felt his duty to his country surmounted every other interest in his life and
he enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment, with which he served for four years in
defense of the Union cause, participating in a number of hotly contested engagements.
When the war was over and the nation's starry banner had been planted over the
capitol of the Confederacy he returned to his home and learned the carpenter's trade,
at which he worked in Pennsylvania until the fall of 1874.