It was at that date that Mr. Evans arrived in Colorado. He made his way to
Denver, where he again worked at his trade for two years and then removed to Long-
mont, where he resided for three years. On the expiration of that period he took up
his abode in Larimer county and secured a homestead claim which he at once set
about improving and which he continued to cultivate and develop until 1902, when he
retired from active business life and removed to Loveland, where he has since made
his home, although spending the winter seasons in the calmy climate of California.
It was on the 12th of November, 1865, that Mr. Evans was united in marriage to
Miss Eliza Fenton, a daughter of Abner Fenton. a native of Pennsylvania, who was
a blacksmith by trade. Her father followed that pursuit in the Keystone state through-
out his entire life and both he and his wife passed away there. Mr. and Mrs. Evans
became the parents of four children : Lois, now the wife of T. E. Burnes, residing at
Milliken, Colorado; Alma, the wife of Ellett McNeil, residing at Loveland; Howard
L., who is operating his father's farm; and Cecelia, the wife of Eugene C. Bunker,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
living at Monrovia. California.
Mr. Evans is a member of the board of directors of the Larimer County Bank &
Trust Company of Loveland. He has prospered as the years have passed and he has
bought more land from time to time until he now owns four hundred acres, all well
improved. His possessions are the visible evidence of his lite of well directed energy
and thrift. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is as true
and loyal to his country in all matters of citizenship as he was when he followed
the nation's starry banner on the battlefields of the south. His religious faith is that
of the Christian church and he is serving as one of the church trustees. His life has
ever been actuated by high and honorable principles and worthy motives and he
has ever commanded the confidence, goodwill and high regard of those with whom he has
HOWARD L. EVANS.
Howard L. Evans, son of E. K. C. Evans, whose sketch is given above, was born
in Pennsylvania, October 18. 1S70, and was therefore but four years of age when his
parents came to Colorado. Here he spent his youthful days and was educated in the
rural schools and at Loveland. At the age of eighteen years he went to Kansas, where
he was employed as a farm hand, and in 1902. when his father retired from the active
management and supervision of the farm, Howard L. Evans rented the old home
place and continued to cultivate it for four years. He then went to Nebraska, where
he was employed for four years in boiler shops at North Platte, but on the expiration
of that period he returned and again rented the old homestead, which he has since
cultivated. He now operates the entire four hundred acres, all of which is under
cultivation save a small tract of fifteen acres. He produces large crops of those
cereals best adapted to soil and climate and employs the most progressive methods in
the conduct and improvement of his place.
On the 7th of September, 1894, Mr. Evans was united in marriage to Miss Maude
Wolff, a daughter of John and Jennie (Jenkins) Wolff, who were natives of West
Virginia. Her father was an educator in his early days and afterward took up the
study of law. In 1S82 he removed to Minden, Nebraska, where he served as county
attorney tor three years. He also learned the printer's trade and published a news-
paper in West Virginia and afterward at Little Rock. Arkansas. Finally he home-
steaded land near Lowell, Nebraska, and devoted his remaining days to general agri-
cultural pursuits, passing away upon his farm in 1912. His widow is now living at
Kearney, Nebraska. To Mr. and Mrs. Howard L. Evans have been born five children:
Harry K., who was born September 3, 1896, and is now a brakeman living at Needles.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 471
California; Arlie L., who was born September 1, 1901; Lois J. and Lloyd L., born
July 24, 1906: and Virginia M., born May 18, 1910.
PolitlcalFy Mr. Evans maintains an independent course nor has he ever sought
or desired public office. His religious faith is that of the Christian church and its
teachings guide him in all of the relations of life. He is a man of high and honorable
principles, active and energetic in business, reliable in citizenship, and the many
sterling traits of character which he has displayed have gained for him a host of
warm friends in Larimer county.
SAMUEL M. BLACK.
Samuel M. Black was a respected Colorado farmer whose business enterprise and
personal worth classed him with the citizens of value in the community in which he
lived. He made his home tor a considerable period near Brighton and was held in the
highest respect by all who knew him throughout that section of the state. His birth
occurred near Cleveland, in Erie county, Ohio, in 1853, his parents being James M. and
Mary (Atherton) Black. He acquired a public school education in Erie county and
there resided until he reached the age of nineteen years, when in 1S72 he made his
way westward to Colorado, settling on Clear creek. Jefferson county. He subsequently
removed to the vicinity of Brighton, where he purchased two hundred and forty acres
of land which he carefully and systematically farmed to the time of his death, which
occurred in 1886.
It was in 1874 that Mr. Black was united in marriage to Miss MoUie E. Darnall,
a daughter of Milton and Mary (Williams) Darnall. They were married in Golden,
Colorado, and to them was born a daughter, Jessie M., whose birth occurred in Golden
and who attended district school No. 10 in Adams county and also the high school of
Denver. On the 17th of December. 1901. she gave her hand in marriage to Clayton
A. Reniff, of Brighton, who was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and came to Colorado
in 1899. He engaged in farming near Brighton to the time of his demise, which occurred
on tire 5th of April, 1913. He had energetically and persistently carried on the work
of the fields and his labors brought good returns as the years passed by. To him and his
wife were born four children, Marion, Willard. Blanche and Robert.
Four generations of the Black family have resided in Colorado, for the father
of Samuel M. Black settled in Golden, where he lived and farmed until he retired
on account of age. He there passed the sunset days of life and died in 1908 at the
venerable age of eighty-five years, while his wife passed away in May, 1914. Thus the
family has borne their full part in the work of general development and improvement
in the state.
MAX 0. MAUL.
Max 0. Maul, a well known farmer and thresher, living in the vicinity of Henderson,
was born in Saxony, Germany, April 9, 1856, a sou of Karl and Adelgunde (Uhle) Maul.
The father died at his home on Comanche creek in 1876, having come to Colorado in
1874. He devoted his entire life to the occupation of farming and cast in his lot
with the early ranchmen on Comanche creek. His widow still survives.
Max O. Maul was educated in his native country, and when a youth of seventeen
years, decided to seek his fortune in America. Embarking at Bremen, he landed in
Baltimore. January 7, 1873, after a voyage lasting twenty-one days. He immediately
started for the west and got as far as St. Louis, when his funds became exhausted
and he found employment on a farm about twenty miles from the city There he
remained but a short time, and then set out for Pottawatomie county, Kansas, where
he had an uncle, John G. Gunther, who afterwards became a well known resident of
Colorado. In July. 1873, Mr. Maul in company with his uncle, and six others, started
across the plains for Colorado, driving four hundred head of cattle with which they
arrived at Comanche creek, after having spent eight weeks in making the trip. Shortly
after, he came to Denver, arriving in the capital city, September 7th, and soon began
market gardening, to which he devoted his attention for four years.
In 1880 he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Arapahoe county
and is still cultivating that tract, together with another quarter section which he
later purchased. For four years he was associated with his father-in-law in a horse-
472 HISTORY OF COLORADO
driven threshing outfit and in 18S0 he purchased a steam thresher and has since been
engaged in threshing in this part of the country. His business ability and his industry
are strong factors in the attainment of his growing success.
Mr. Maul was married in Denver to Miss Katie Mitze, who passed away in 1S89,
and he was later married in Denver to Miss Katie Eppler. There were four children
born of the first marriage: Elizabeth, Max K., William J. and Katie. The children
of the second marriage are Anna. Otto and Oscar.
In his political views Mr. Maul has always maintained an independent course.
He has served on the school board and he is a member of the Masonic lodge of
Brighton, in which he has served as junior steward. He also holds membership in The
Maccabees and Woodmen of the World. He has led a busy life, his prosperity being
attributable entirely to his industry and, perseverance, and he has thus won the proud
American title of a self-made man. He was granted his naturalization papers in
1S80, and he regards as one of the most important moments of his life the time when
he was admitted into full citjzenship with all its rights and benefits, as well as its
obligations, which latter he has been ever mindful of, by giving to the land of his
adoption his undivided allegiance and support.
WILLIAM E. FULLER.
William E. Fuller, mail carrier and farmer of Adams county, is widely known in
the section of the state in which he resides. He has become the owner of forty acres
of fine, irrigated land which he has brought to a high state of development and im-
provement. He comes to Colorado troni the east, his birth having occurred in Franklin
county, Pennsylvania, on the 13th of June, 18S3, his parents being William and Kath-
erine (Carson) Fuller. The father was also a native of the Keystone state and there
passed away in the year 18S6, while the mother, who was born in Maryland, is still
living. Their family numbered two children, the daughter being Florence I., now
the wife of Charles Kelley. After the death of the husband and father the mother
removed with her children to Linn county, Iowa, where they lived for two years, and
then in 1887 came to Colorado, where Mrs. Fuller still makes her home.
William E. Fuller, an only son, was but four years of age when the family home
was established in this state, so that practically his entire life has here been passed.
He spent his youthful days with his mother and attended the public schools near their
home. When his textbooks were put aside he took up farm work and in 1909 began
farming on his own account. In 1906 he was appointed a mail carrier on Rural Route
No. 1. out of Henderson and through the intervening period he has continued to carry
the mail. Those along the route find him always courteous, obliging and genial, and
he has won many friends. Desirous of developing important farming interests, he
has invested in land and has become the owner of a forty acre tract, splendidly cul-
tivated, which is today worth two hundred dollars per acre. This he devotes to the
raising of the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, and annually he gathers good
crops. He is systematic in carrying on his work and everything about his place is
indicative of his progressive spirit.
In June. 1911, Mr. Fuller was united in marriage to Miss Dora L. Foster, a daugh-
ter of Sherman and Louise Foster. To Mr. and Mrs. Fuller have been born three
children. John S., Ora Katherine and Raymond. Mr. and Mrs. Fuller are consistent
members of the Congregational church and in his political views Mr. Fuller is a
democrat. He has led a busy life, actuated by a spirit of undaunted enterprise, and his
property possessions are the visible evidence of his life of well directed thrift.
JAMES NORMAN WYLIE.
A spirit of enterprise and progressiveness has won James Norman Wylie a place
among the prominent and successful ranchers in Adams county. He was born in
Pennsylvania, about sixteen miles from Pittsburgh, on the 19th of February, 18.52,
a son of James Patterson and Hannah (Stewart) Wylie and a nephew of the Rev.
Samuel 0. Wylie, a prominent minister of the Reformed Presbyterian church. His
brother, Samuel Oliver Wylie, was a soldier of the Civil war. The old homestead in
Pennsylvania of six hundred acres is now the site of the Crucible Steel Company, the
JAJIES N. W'YLIE
474 HISTORY OF COLORADO
plant of which covers altogether three hundred acres of ground and is one of the
largest steel plants in the United States today.
James N. Wylie pursued his education in the Jefferson township district schools
near his father's home, continuing his studies until he was about sixteen years of age,
after which he worked on his father's farm until he came to Colorado in 1893. Here
he again Identified himself with agricultural interests, purchasing a ranch of one
hundred and twenty acres in Adams county, upon which he lived for three years. He
lost three crops, however, two by hail and one by flood. He then went to the Klondike,
where he spent a year and a half, after which he returned to Colorado, and for fifteen
years was empoyed by the Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Company. He then
removed to the rancli which he had purchased in 1902, comprising forty acres of land
near Henderson. He had previously rented the place and has made it his home con-
tinuously since. To his farm he has added many modern and attractive improvements,
including a substantial residence, built in an attractive modern style of architecture,
and large and commodious barns and corrals. He has forty acres of the best land in
this section of the state and thereon raises beans, corn, melons and alfalfa. His crops
are very large and he is classed with the prominent and representative agriculturists
of the community.
On the 24th of November, 1874, in Monongahela City, Pennsylvania, Mr. Wylie was
married to Miss Alice Barbara Mellinger, a daughter of Major William and Jane
(Black) Mellinger and a granddaughter of one of the wealthiest men of his 'time
In Washington county, Pennsylvania. She had three brothers who were soldiers of the
Civil war and one of these had a son who is now serving with the United States army
in France. Mrs. Wylie was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and by her
marriage has become the mother of two children, Jeanetta B. and Norman Arthur
Wylie, who is manager with the Rugby Coal Company of Denver. He married Miss
Minette Webb, of Denver, and they have a son, Verne Gray Wylie.
Mr. Wylie is a member of the Royal League. His religious faith is indicated by
his connection with the Central Christian church of Denver and his political belief
is evidenced in the strong support which he gives to the republican party. He has
ever been loyal to high ideals of citizenship, and his aid and support can always be
counted upon to further any progressive public measure. At the same time he is a
progressive and wideawake business man and one who is carrying forward to successful
completion whatever he undertakes.
Four miles south of Fort Collins is situated the home ranch of Franklin Moore
on section 36, township 7, range 68, west. He displays a progressive spirit in the
development and further conduct of his property, which is now under a high state
of cultivation. Mr. Moore comes to Colorado from the Atlantic coast, his birth
having occurred in New Jersey, March 15. 1855. He is a son of Thomas B. and Phoebe
A. (Rice) Moore, who were natives of that state. The father was a farmer in New
Jersey throughout his entire life and won a substantial measure of success in the
cultivation of the fields. He was a devoted adherent of the Society of Friends and
in that faith passed away in 1890. while his wife died in 1888.
Franklin Moore was reared and educated in his native state and remained with
his parents until he had reached adult age. He then started west, going first to
Indiana, later to Illinois and in April, 1S78, arrived in Colorado, taking up his abode
near Timnath. Larimer county. He taught school in New Jersey and also after coming
to Colorado through three winter terms but at length gave up that profession to con-
centrate his efforts and attention upon agricultural interests. He rented land for two
years, and carefully saving his money during that period, then purchased one hun-
dred and sixty acres near Timnath, which he further developed and improved, operat-
ing the place until 1S92. He was always a great church worker and was superintend-
ent of the Sunday school at Timnath for thirteen years. In 1892. through the influ-
ence of his pastor, he entered the ministry and was licensed to preach. He theta
supplied the Timnath Presbyterian church for seven months and afterward was
pastor of the Fossil Creek church for eleven years, during which period he builti
the house of worship there. When he took up his work the membership of the church
was but twenty-six and when he left there were more than a hundred members.'
During that period he also maintained missions at Stout, Bellvue, Virginia Dale and
Livermore. preaching once a month in each of those places. In 1903 he was called
MR. AND MRS. FRANKLIN MOORE
476 HISTORY OF COLORADO
to Hillsborough, now Milliken, where he engaged in preaching for three years. During
his eleven years' pastorate at the Fossil Creek church he bought fifteen acres of land
and set about improving the tract. After three years at Milliken he returned to his
home and took up mission work at Virginia Dale, Llvermore. Waverly and Masonville.
He continued to live upon the old home place and his last work was continued until
1916, when he discontinued his labors at Virginia Dale and Livermore but continued
to act as pastor for the Presbyterian people of Masonville and Waverly. At the same
time he took up the pastorate of the Second Presbyterian church at Fort Collins,
where he has continued his duties since. During the interim he has built churches
at Masonville and at Waverly at a cost of about three thousand dollars each and
remodeled the church at Virginia Dale. He also leased school land adjoining his
place across the road in 1908, and when it was put upon the market in, 1916, Mr.
Moore purchased one hundred and twenty acres of that property, so that he now
owns altogether one hundred and thirty-flve acres of splendidly improved land which
he has since cultivated and developed. His son has rented the place and has been
of wonderful assistance to the father.
In March, 1880, Mr. Moore was married to Miss Martha L. Peterson and to them
have been born seven children: Mary E., who died in 1888. at the age of seven
years; Edith A., the wife of William Franz, a farmer of Larimer county; Attie D.,
the wife of C. E. Mellen, a resident of Fort Morgan, Colorado; Elizabeth T., the wife
of Ralph Trotman, a farmer of Larimer county; Ralph F., who is farming his father's
place; Alma M., at home; and Charles T., who died in 1887, at the age of three
During all these twenty-seven years of strenuous work his good wife has been
a constant help and encouragement. She is a great lover of home and Mr. Moore
freely admits that it has been only through her patience, economy and sacrifice that
they have been able to secure and maintain their much appreciated home at Fossil
While carrying on his ranching interests Mr. Moore during the past few years
has made a specialty of raising spring lambs, and has found this a profitable source
of income. His activities have always been intelligently directed and reasonable
results have accrued. Politically he maintains an independent course. Since young
manhood 'he has been a member of the Presbyterian church, loyal to its teachings,
active in its work, and his labors have been far-reaching and resultant.
August Swanson. now deceased, was a well known farmer of Larimer county who
resided five miles northeast of Berthoud and five miles southeast of Loveland. He
was born in Sweden, December 10, 1863, a son of Swan and Ingre Swanson, who were
natives of Sweden. The mother died when her son August was but nine days old
and lie was reared by a stepmother. Further history of the family is given in connec-
tion with the sketch of G. S. Swanson on another page of this work.
August Swanson was reared in Sweden and pursued his education there to the
age of sixteen years, when he came to America, crossing the Atlantic in 1879. He made
Boulder" county, Colorado, his destination and here worked as a farm hand until 1S87,
when he rented land which he continued to cultivate for twelve years. He then bought
a farm of one hundred and sixty acres five miles northeast of Berthoud and five miles
southeast of Loveland. He at once began to improve and develop the property to a
large extent and continued its further cultivation to the time of his death, which
occurred September 16, 1912. after about a year's illness.
On the 1st of November, 1888. Mr. Swanson had been married to Miss So^iie
Peterson, a daughter of Aaron and Ella (Johnson) Peterson, who were natives of
Sweden, as is Mrs. Swanson, who was there born on the 1st of November, 1862. Her
father was a farmer in the old country and made his home there until 1870, when he
came to the new world, settling in Nebraska, where he lived for a short time. He next
removed to Boulder county, Colorado, and took up a homestead four miles west of
Niwot. This he improved and developed, continuing its further cultivation until his
life's labors were ended in death on the 14th of February. 1896. The mother has
since made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Swanson, and has now reached the
advanced age of eighty-six years. Mr. and Mrs. Swanson became the parents of two
children: Hulda Elnora, now the wife of Axel Benson, who is farming half of Mrs.
Swanson's place; and Roy, who is cultivating eighty acres of the old home place.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 477
Politically Mr. Swanson was a republican and gave stalwart support to the
party, although never an office seeker. His religious belief was that of the Swedish
Lutheran church, his membership being at Loveland. and the teachings of the church
guided him in all the relations of lite, making him a most honorable and honored
WILLIAM M. EWING.
William M. Ewlng, whose ninety-acre farm in the vicinity of Eastlake is highly
productive, large crops being raised annually upon the place, has made his home in
Colorado since 1888. He was born in Allegan county, Michigan, April 20, 1862. a
son of William H. and Mary (Lilly) Ewing, the former a farmer by occupation. His
early education was acquired in the district school, which he attended until he
reached the age of sixteen years. He then left Michigan and went to Madison county,
Nebraska, where he engaged in farming for seven years and afterward spent two
years in railroad work at Ewing, Nebraska. In 1888 he arrived in Colorado and was
employed at different points in the state for seven years. He worked for three years
on the Bancroft ranch and for a year engaged in farming about ten miles north of
Plattevllle. Subsequently he spent five years in Loveland and was then engaged in
the dairy business in Denver for twelve years. Removing to Standley Lake he spent
three years at that place, after which he took up his abode near Eastlake upon the
farm of ninety acres which he now owns and cultivates. This is devoted to the raising
of hay, grain, cabbage and beets, of which he has a fine crop. His is a well developed
ranch property, improved according to modern agricultural ideas, and his success is
Mr. Ewing was married in Denver on the 15th of June. 1892, to Miss Eva J. Rob-
inson, who was born in Nebraska. In 1912 he wedded Eva M. White and they are
widely and favorably known in Eastlake and their section of Adams county. Mr.
Ewing votes with the republican party and strongly endorses its principles but does
not seek nor desire office. He has served as school director but never in political posi-
tions. He finds his recreation in baseball, being an enthusiast in regard to the national
game. Fra^ternally he is connected with the Woodmen of the World.
William Barrowman. who follows farming in Boulder county, was born in Mary-
land, August 8, 1851. a son of William and Agnes (Kinnon) Barrowman, who were