Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 6 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

which he purchased from his father. Edna, who wag the wife of Robert McCoy, of
Colorado Springs, passed away in November. 1918. Olive is a trained nurse now living
in Arizona. Erma is the wife of Harry Mclntire, a resident of Arizona. J. D. is on
a ranch near Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

Reared to the occupation of farming, Zophar L. Holden has always continued busi-
ness along that line and is today one of the most prominent and prosperous agricul-
turists of this section of the state, his landed possessions embracing thirty-three
hundred acres. He is a leading and well known sheep farmer, feeding about fifteen
hundred head of sheep. He has a most attractive and commodious two-story resi-
dence upon his farm, together with large and substantial buildings and sheep pens.
The buildings are all in good repair and well painted and everything about his place
is kept in first-class shape. He is a most progressive farmer and stockman and his
business ability is manifest in the excellent appearance of his place. He is a stockholder
of the Peyton Bank of Peyton. Colorado.

In 1S93 Mr. Holden was united in marriage to Miss Violet Baldwin, a daughter
of E. E. Baldwin, of Elbert, Colorado. Mr. Holden gives his political allegiance to the
democratic party but has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate
his efforts and attention upon his business affairs, which are wisely and carefully
directed and bring to him the merited success of earnest and persistent labor. His
entire life has been passed upon the ranch which he yet occupies and he is thoroughly
familiar with the history of the development and upbuilding of this section of the
state and at all times has borne his part in promoting the work of general improve-
ment, stanchly supporting all measures which are a matter of civic virtue and of civic
pride.



WILLIAM DAVID HOOVER.

Comparatively few men look far into the future. They are concerned mostly
with questions and interests which bear directly upon the present hour, its difficul-
ties and its advantages and do not recognize the exigencies and the opportunities which
a later hour may bring forth. There are men, however, with keen sagacity and broad
vision who look beyond the moment and see in conditions of the present the £orer
shadowings of future events. Such a man is William David Hoover, who has been
most prominent in connection with the development, in late years, in the growing
of sugar beets and in beet sugar manufacture, which has come to be one of the chief '
industries of the state. His work in this connection has been most vital and he has
borne an important part in promoting interests which have become a feature in the
development of the Great Western Sugar Company.

Mr. Hoover comes to Colorado from Ohio. He was born in Miamisburg. that state,
December IS, 1S62, a son of Abel and Clara Elizabeth Hoover, both of Dutch ancestry,
whose respective parents had removed to Ohio from the Dutch settlement of Pennsyl-
vania. He was educated in the public schools of Miamisburg, being graduated with
honors from the high school there. Both his father and grandfather being engaged
in agricultural implement manufacturing, William D. Hoover entered into this line of
work after his graduation. It is interesting to note in this connection that the firm
was among the earliest manufacturers of binders that used twine in Ohio. Until 1890,
Mr. Hoover was interested with his father in the manufacture of harvesting machinery
and twine but in that year removed to Akron, Ohio, where he organized the Western
Linoleum Company, of which he became vice president and general manager. His
arduous duties in this connection, however, undermined his health and in 1S97 a
change of climate was considered advisable and he came to Colorado. He thoroughly
interested himself in the resources and possibilities of this new state and in 1899
he was one of the first men to recognize the vast possibilities of the beet sugar industry
in Colorado. On September 11, 1S99, his first prospectus for the Loveland factory was
issued. The Loveland factory was later built by other interests and is today one of
the largest producers of beet sugar in the country. Subsequently he became inter-
ested in the preliminary work for beet sugar development at Eaton and Windsor,
being president and general manager of such plants for a year or two. Later he was
active in the preliminary work in the South Platte valley, which resulted in the con-
struction of the new factory at Sterling, but he was later not connected therewith.
His undaunted energy and sincere enthusiasm as to the future of this industry con-
vinced others and he succeeded in establishing other factories in the South Platte



44 HISTORY OF COLORADO

district, thus becoming one of the important factors in founding beet sugar manu-
facture in this state. These factories are now an integral part of the Great Western
Sugar Company, of which Mr. Hoover is manager of public relations. The importance
of his position is most poignantly recognizable in these days when the sugar question
has become one of vital national significance. After his work in the South Platte
valley Mr. Hoover and his associates established the sugar factory at Monte Vista,
which has long since been removed to Lovell, Wyoming, and which is today also part of
the Great Western Sugar Company's interests.

In 1885 Mr. Hoover was married to Miss Elizabeth Hunt, of Miamisburg, Ohio,
and they have two children: Edwin H., who is a gunner in the Thirty-fifth Infantry
of the United States army; and Donald H., who at this writing has graduated from
the Western Reserve Medical School and has entered the medical division of the
United States army as a lieutenant.

In the civic life of the city of Denver, which Mr. Hoover makes his home, he
has always been deeply interested and has ever been a leader in movements for the
development, advancement and trade expansion of city and state. Fraternally he is a
Mason but is not active in the affairs of the order. The family home is located at
No. 1119 York street and is one of the handsome residences of that section of Den-
ver. There Mr. and Mrs. Hoover entertain their many friends, cheerful hospitality
always prevailing at their fireside.



STORRS H. HALL.



Storrs H. Hall is a partner in the firm of Hall Brothers, proprietors of the Western
Holstein Farm and also of the Cooperative Milk Company of Denver. In this con-
nection he has become known as one of the leading breeders of thoroughbred Hol-
steins in Colorado and the west. The story of his life is the story of earnest endeavor
and continuous progression to the goal of success. He was born in Cleburne, Texas,
September 14, 1878, a son of William S. and Mary (Wheeler) Hall, both of whom were
natives of Massachusetts and in early life went to Wisconsin, crossing the country
with ox team. In 1874 they removed to Texas, where the father devoted ten years
to the cattle business, and in 1884 he became a resident of Denver, Colorado, where he
established a livery stable, which he conducted for two years. He next concentrated
his energies upon farming in Arapahoe and Jefferson counties and at the present time
he is engaged in mining in Clear Creek county, Colorado. He has reached the age of
seventy-two years, while his wife is living at the age of sixty-eight. They had a
family of six children, of whom four are living, Carlos, Storrs H., Mrs. Kittle Mcintosh
and Ira.

In early life Storrs H. Hall attended the country schools and afterward had the
advantage of training in the city schools of Denver. He subsequently turned his atten-
tion to dairying, in which he engaged for a short time, and later he worked for
wages for two years. In 1898 he became interested in the Holstein dairying business
in connection with his brother and they established what is known as the Western
Holstein Farm of about sixteen hundred acres in Jefferson county. Upon it they now
have one hundred head of thoroughbred Holstein cattle and milk cows. At the head
of the herd is one of the best known thoroughbred Holsteins in the country. Western
Ascalon Colantha Boy, registered as No. 116,247. On the 1st of May. 1918, the Hall
Brothers had a large sale, in which they disposed of all of the animals of their great
milking and milk and butter bred Holstein cows and heifers which had no registra-
tion papers. There were about one hundred and thirty of them, in ages from one to
ten years, constituting one of the best lots of milking and milk and butter bred animals
ever offered for sale, representing over thirty years of intelligent breeding, and
selection of the kind that makes good. The Western Holstein Farm is situated on the
Morrison road, five and a half miles southwest of Denver. The Hall Brothers are
now owners of a herd of thoroughbred Holsteins, including Sir Colantha Lass, No.
45,670, a well known show bull that has won many ribbons, and champion of the state.
They have done much to improve the grade of stock raised in Colorado and to stimulate
an interest in high bred cattle. They were also the organizers of the Producers Dairy
in Denver in January, 1918, with Storrs H. Hall as secretary and treasurer. The
president is M. E. Penrose, while C. W. Hall is vice president of the company. With
twenty delivery wagons they cover the city in the distribution of their dairy products
and they have thirty-five employes. Storrs H. Hall is also a director and treasurer
of the Western Holstein Dairy Company.




STORRS H. HALL



46 HISTORY OF COLORADO

On the 23d of April, 1903, Mr. Hall was married to Miss Nellie B. Ashton, of
Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George J. Ashton, of a well known Denver family.
They have two children: Clyde S., who was born in Denver in 1904 and is now
attending high school; and Irene, born in Denver in 1906.

In politics Mr. Hall maintains an independent course, nor has he ever sought
office. For six years he was a member of the school board of Jefferson county and the
cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. He is an exemplary representa-
tive of the Masonic fraternity belonging to Lodge No. 61, A. F. & A. M., and he also
belongs to the Civic and Commercial Association of Denver. Of a nature that could
never be content with mediocrity, he has steadily worked his way upward, actuated by
a laudable ambition that has resulted in the attainment of notable success. He has
taken no steps backward. His career has been marked by steady progress and he js
today one of the best known breeders and raisers of Holstein cattle in the state.



JAMES E. JEWEL.



There are many points of interest in the life record of James E. Jewel, a well
known attorney at law of Fort Morgan, a prominent breeder of registered Holstein
cattle in Morgan county, a veteran of the Civil war whose loyalty to his country was
not only manifest on southern battlefields but has also been evidenced in his atti-
tude toward public questions throughout his life. Ohio claims him as a native son, his
birth having occurred in Montgomery county on the 19th of October, 1847, his parents
being Aaron W. and Susanna (Peck) Jewel, who were natives of Miami and of Mont-
gomery county, Ohio, respectively. The father was of Welsh lineage, while the mother
was of German descent. Aaron W. Jewel was a carpenter by trade and followed that
pursuit until he reached the age of thirty-five years, when he turned his attention
to farming and also took up the practice of law in Iowa. He removed to that state
in 1854, settling at Brandon, in Buchanan county. It was after his removal to the
west that he studied law. He also entered land there and developed and improved
a farm, devoting his remaining days to its further cultivation. In his law practice
his clientage connected him with most of the important cases that came up in the
southern part of the county. He died upon the old homestead in March, 1886, and
is survived by his widow, who now resides at Vinton, Iowa, at the notable old agd
of ninety-three years. In the family were nine children, eight of whom are living.

James E. Jewel was reared and educated in Buchanan county, Iowa. His early
school privileges were very limited, being confined to about six months' attendance
at a district school. After he had attained his majority, however, he continued his
studies, working his way through au academy and through Western College, while
still later he attended Cornell College at Mount Vernon, Iowa. He took up the study
of law in the State University at Iowa City and was graduated there with the class
of 1877. Locating for practice at Independence. Iowa, he followed his profession at
that place from 1S77 until 1900, when he removed to Chicago, where he continued
until September, 1901. At that date he became a resident of Fort Morgan, Colorado,
where he engaged in farming and in stock raising and also in the buying of wool
and sheep. He purchased eight hundred acres of land under the Morgan ditch and
at that time was the largest landowner under the ditch and the largest owner of
water rights. With characteristic energy he began the development and improve-
ment of his ranch property and his labors soon wrought a marked transformation in
the appearance of the place. In 1908 he opened a law office and has since actively and
successfully followed his profession. He has ever prepared his cases with great thor-
oughness and care and has displayed marked ability in presenting his cause to the
courts. In 1910 he sold his land under the Morgan ditch, which he had purchased at
from twenty to twenty-five dollars per acre, for one hundred and twenty-five dollars
per acre. In 1913 he bought one hundred and sixty acres under the Bijou ditch and
has improved it at a cost of ten thousand dollars. It is now stocked with pure bred
Holstein cattle and Berkshire hogs and is the best improved farm in northeastern
Colorado, lacking in none of the accessories and conveniences found upon the model
farms of the twentieth century. He also makes a business of feeding cattle during
the winter months. In 1908 he lost twenty thousand dollars in feeding sheep, but
.undeterred by this he has continued his efforts and his success has placed him among
the foremost stock raisers of his section of the state. His property interests also in-
clude a fine modern residence at No. 123 East Platte avenue, in Fort Morgan, which
at a cost of ten thousand dollars.




JAMES E. JEWEL



48 HISTORY OF COLORADO

On the 5th of March, 1871, Mr. Jewel was married to Miss Mahala Roszell,
ter of Hiram and Mary (Dole) Roszell, who were natives of Kentucky. The father
was of French ancestry and devoted his life to farming. In early manhood he removed
to Indiana and in 1848 went to Benton county, Iowa, where he carried on farming
throughout his remaining days, his death occuring in 1883, while his wife passed
away in 1880. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Jewel were four children. Fred B., bom
June 25, 1872, was engaged in the hotel business in Missouri and in the fall of 1918
expected to take charge of and operate his father's farm, but on his way from Missouri
by automobile he and his wife were stricken with the influenza, and died at Marshall,
Missouri. Jed Lake, bom August 26, 1875. is engaged in the laundry and newspaper
business in Chicago and is said to have the finest laundry in the United States. Ray
W., born January 3, 1883, is engaged in the wholesale oil and gas business at Pueblo,
Colorado. Helen M., born March 11, 1891, is at home.

Mr. Jewel has a most interesting military record, for on the 27th of October,
1864, when he was a youth of but seventeen years, he enlisted at Dubuque, Iowa, as
a member of Company C, Twenty-seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, with which com-
mand he was engaged in active duty until transferred to Company C of the Twelfth
Iowa Infantry, which regiment had reenlisted. He then served until the close of
the war and was. mustered out with a most creditable military record on the 18th
of December, 1865, at Mobile, Alabama. He was engaged in the two days' fight at
Nashville, Tennessee, under General Thomas, was also in the siege of Mobile and took
part in the siege and capture of Spanish Fort and of Fort Blakely, the latter being
captured after General Lee's surrender.

Mr. Jewel is a stockholder and the president of the board of directors of the
Farmers Union Cooperative Creamery Company of Fort Morgan and is a stockholder
in the Farmers Union Elevator & Mercantile Company. He likewise belongs to the
Farmers Union and fraternally is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows and with the Grand Army of the Republic. His political allegiance is given to
the republican party and he is allied with the more progressive wing of the organ-
ization. He has voted for every republican since President Grant was a candidate for
office in 1868. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church and he
has been identified therewith since reaching the age of nineteen, or for fifty-one years.
He is supporting a student in a preparatory school in China. Throughout his entire
life his aid has ever been given on the side of progress and improvement and his per-
sistent purpose has enabled him to accomplish excellent results not only for the ad-
vancement of his individual interests but for the benefit of the public fortune and wel-
fare. Those who know him, and he has a wide acquaintance, esteem him as a man
of genuine worth.



JOSEPH RAMSEY HEWITT.



Joseph Ramsey Hewitt, who identified his interests with those of Elbert county
in February, 1918, when he purchased his present large ranch in the vicinity of
Elizabeth, was born upon a farm near Elizabeth City, North Carolina, on the 21st of
May, 1874. a son of Henry and Mary Ellen Hewitt, whose ancestral line can be traced
back through five generations in the Old North state.

In the public schools of his native city Joseph R. Hewitt pursued his education
and was identified with agricultural interests in the south until 1900, when he left
North Carolina and removed to Wyoming, settling near Saratoga, where for six years
he again carried on agricultural pursuits. In February, 1918, he purchased his present
large ranch, which is one of the valuable properties of Elbert county. He has always
employed the most progressive methods in the development and cultivation of his
fields and his progressive spirit has been manifest in the excellent improvements
placed upon his land.

In New Jersey, on the 7th of September, 1905, Mr. Hewitt was married to Miss
Elizabeth Belle Davis, who in the maternal line is a descendant of the Sawyer fam-
ily that for generations has occupied one of the old colonial homes near Elizabeth
City, North Carolina, the bricks and material having been brought from England.
One end of the building is blue and the other red. It is still standing in a good
state of preservation. It was originally built by a noted tory family who later returned
to England, and the property was purchased by the Sawyers during or about the time
of the Revolutionary war. The great-great-grandfather of Mrs. Hewitt on the mater-
nal side and also the great-great-grandfather on the paternal side were high sheriffs



HISTORY OF COLaRADO 49

of Pasquotank county. North Carolina, during the Revolution, one succeeding the other
in that position. Mrs. Hewitt has one brother who is federal district judge, located
at Trenton, New Jersey. He was democratic leader in the state senate of New Jersey
when President Wilson was governor of that state. Two other brothers are, the
Rev. Quinton C. Davis, of Durham, North Carolina, and the Hon. James Mercer Davis,
of Mount Holly, New Jersey. To Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt have been born three children,
Joseph Ramsey, Jr., Quinton Davis and Elizabeth Davis.

Mr, and Mrs. Hewitt hold membership in the Baptist church and take an active
interest in its work and upbuilding. Their aid is always found on the side of right,
advancement and improvement and throughout his life Mr. Hewitt has been actuated
by a progressive spirit that is manifest in his business, and citizenship relations as
well. During the period of his residence in Elbert county he has gained the respect of
all with whom he has been brought in contact and is rapidly winning many friends.



HON. JOHN G. LILLEY.



Hon. John G. Lilley, deceased, left the impress of his individuality and ability
upon the history of the state, not only by reason of his active and prominent connec-
tion with agricultural interests but also as a legislator and as a factor in the develop-
ment of the state along many other beneficial lines. His life record, therefore, should
find a prominent place upon the pages of Colorado's history.

A native of England, John G. Lilley was born at Gillsboro on the 12th of June,
1833, his parents being John and Ann (Buck) Lilley, who were born at North Gills-
boro, England. About 1847 they removed from their farm at that place to Birkenhead,
Cheshire, where the father engaged in the laundry business until his death In 1886,
having for three years survived his wife, who died in 1883. Both were members of
the Church of England.

John G. Lilley was a youth of fourteen when the family home was established in
Cheshire and for six years he was employed in the Birkenhead market. On reaching
the age of twenty he bade adieu to friends and native country and sailed for the new
world, attracted by the business opportunities which he believed he might secure on
this side of the Atlantic. He spent a few days in Portland, Maine, and then went
to New Brunswick, where he remained for ten days, after which he changed his plans
and shipped as a steward on a vessel bound for Ireland. He remained on the Emerald
isle for six weeks, while the vessel was anchored in Cork, after which he returned to
his home in England and devoted a year to the butchering business. At the end of
that time he once more crossed the Atlantic, landing at Boston, Massachusetts, whence
he made his way to La Crosse, Wisconsin, where he engaged in the butchering busi-
ness from 1854 until 1860. In the latter year he came to Colorado and settled in
Denver, which was then a little mining town. For two years he devoted his attention
to prospecting in the mountains and in 1S62 purchased the farm whereon he continued
to reside from that date until his demise. His purchase, made in February, 1862,
established his ownership to one hundred and sixty acres of land adjoining the town
of Littleton. As the years passed and lie prospered he added to his holdings until
within the boundaries of his place were comprised three hundred and eighty acres.
At a later period, however, not wishing to have the care of so extensive a property,
he sold all but one hundred and fifty acres of his land. He not only most progressively
developed his farm property and met with substantial success in that undertaking but
also became one of the builders of the Rough and Ready grist mill in 1868. This
mill soon won the reputation of manufacturing the finest flour in the state, and for
years its products were shipped as far east as Boston, commanding the highest prices
on the market. Twice during Mr. Lilley's connection with the mill the plant was
destroyed by fire but was immediately rebuilt. He also became the senior partner in
the firm of Lilley & Coberly, which took extensive contracts for supplying ties for the
building of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. These ties were secured on the Divide and
taken to the territory between Littleton and Sheridan. In executing his contracts Mr.
Lilley utilized forty wagons, each drawn by seven yoke of oxen, for hauling over the
trail. These oxen, together with much other live stock, were stolen and driven off by
the Indians, the herder escaping the red-skins by hiding in a dug-put. A man of
marked business enterprise, Mr. Lilley never faltered in the accomplishment of his
purpose and in his vocabulary there was no such word as fail. Wlien one avenue of
opportunity seemed closed he recognized the fact that he could carve out other paths
whereby he might reach the desired goal and as the years went on he carefully and

Vol. IV— 4




HON. JOHN G. LILLEY




MRS. ALICE JAMES LILLEY



52 HISTORY OF COLORADO

wisely directed liis business efforts with tlie result that he won most substantial success
in that connection.

Mr. Lilley was always a republican and when the currency question became a
paramount issue he stood with the silver wing of the party. He was for more than
a quarter of a century president of the school board in his district and in 1872 his



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 108)