natives of Scotland, whence they came to the new world about 1847. They settled
first in Maryland and afterward removed to Kentucky, while later they became resi-
dents of Wisconsin, where they lived for eleven years. They then took up their abode
in Iowa, where their remaining days were passed. They had a family of eight children,
of whom five are living.
William Barrowman was reared in Wisconsin and Iowa and his education was
acquired in the common schools of those states. In 1872 he arrived in Colorado, making
his way to Denver. During the early period of his residence in this state he followed
farming and mining and later he purchased the tract of land whereon he now resides,
becoming the owner of one hundred acres, which he has since cultivated and improved.
He has lived upon this farm for thirty-five years and its neat and thrifty appearance
is an indication of his well directed energy and industry. He has won substantial success
as the years have passed and his labors have made him one of the prosperous agri-
culturists of the community.
Mr. Barrowman has been married twice. In ISSO he wedded Miss Jennie McFar-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
land. who passed away in 18S2, and in 1884 he was joined in wedlock with Miss Eliza
A. Carter, who was born in Wisconsin, They have become parents of seven children:
Nellie, at home; Jennie, the widow of E. Johnson; Roy L. ; William; Sadie, the wife
of Arthur Mosher, of Ward, Colorado; one, who died in infancy; and Hazel, at home.
Mr. Barrowman is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he has filled a
number of offices. He is ever loyal to the craft and its purposes, exemplifying in his
life its beneficent teachings concerning the brotherhood of mankind and the obliga-
tions thereby imposed. He has served for six years as a member of the school
board in his district and is a stalwart champion not only of the cause of public educa-
478 HISTORY OF COLORADO
tlon but of all interests that tend to promote the welfare and progress of the com-
munity in which he has so long lived. Forty-six years have passed since he arrived
in Colorado and great indeed have been the changes which have occurred during
this period. His own record is an illustration of the progress of the state, for Mr.
Barrowman started out in life empty-handed, and working his way steadily upward,
is now classed with the substantial agriculturists of Boulder county. The state
a half century or more ago was a wild district with great stretches of sandy plains,
but the labors of a progressive class of men have wrought a transformation that is
almost magical. The rich mineral resources of the state have been utilized, its arid
lands converted into productive farms and the work of development carried forward
until Colorado today occupies a position of leadership along various lines, making it
one of the important states of the Union.
EDWARD H. LUND.
Edward H. Lund, merchant and postmaster of Timnath, was born in Germany,
December 3, 18G9, a son of P. A. and Johanna (Besthorn) Lund, who were also natives
of that country. The father was a hotel keeper in Germany throughout his entire
life and there passed away in March, 1918, at the age of eighty-one years, having long
survived his wife, who died in 1892.
Edward H. Lund was reared in Germany, pursuing his education in its public
schools, and in 1893, when twenty-four years of age, came to the United States. He
settled at Crook, Logan county, Colorado, where he lived for three or four years,
working during that period as a farm hand. He then went to Brush, Colorado, and
for two years was employed as clerk in a store there. He afterward removed to
Hillrose. where he remained for eight years and during that period was part owner
of a general store. On selling his interest in the business he took up his abode at
Timnath, Larimer county, where he purchased a stock of general merchandise and
has since conducted the business. He carries an extensive line of goods and enjoys
a large patronage. His store is well equipped in every particular and he puts forth
every possible effort to please his patrons, recognizing that satisfied customers are
the best advertisement. In July, 1917, he was appointed postmaster of Timnath and
is also filling that position. This was not his initial experience along that line, how-
ever, for he had served as assistant postmaster at Hillrose and again at Snyder,
On the 2.5th of December, 1906, Mr. Lund was united in marriage to Miss Emma
Voigt, by whom he has two children: Carl Edward, born January 6, 1908; and Esther
J., whose birth occurred on the 11th of August, 1910. Politically Mr. Lund is a demo-
crat and aside from his service as postmaster he has been a member of the school
board. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. Throughout the entire
period of his residence in the United States he has lived in Colorado and he has
found here the better business opportunities which he sought on his removal from
his native country to America. He has made good use of his chances and of his time
and is now a substantial business man of his adopted town.
JAMES A. PICKARD, M. D.
Dr. James A. Pickard, diagnostician and one of Denver's most eminent physicians
and surgeons, is a man whose comprehensive study and initiative have promoted health
conditions in Denver in a large measure. His advanced ideas have made him a
pioneer in various fields of labor and in recent years he has been working upon and
strongly advocating a plan which is winning wide attention among medical men
and laymen, having to do with the physical and therefore the mental and moral
development of the people at large. His idea, which is strongly endorsed by many
physicians and surgeons throughout the country, is that the National Government
should appoint physicians and surgeons to look after the health of a certain number
of families, pro rata, and that it should become compulsory for each family to undergo
an examination at least once a month and in case of sickness to immediately call in
the physician appointed for the given district. This would of course decrease the
disease statistics and decrease the death rate. Moreover, it would establish clean
morals and it would do away with quack doctors and so called healers. Physicians
DR. JAMES A. PICKARD
480 HISTORY OF COLORADO
in general have come to look upon his theory and plan with favor, as solving many
of the vexed and important problems which are today before the country.
Dr. Pickard is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Whitfield, that state, on
the 14th of June. 1869. a son of John S. and Cynthia Caine (Morrison) Pickard. The
father was a native of Alabama and the mother of Tennessee, in which state they
were married. 'There they resided throughout their remaining days and the father
became a well known planter of that region. During the war he served as a member
of a Tennessee regiment, and fought gallantly with the southern troops as a private.
Both he and his wife passed away in Whitfield. Tennessee.
Dr. Pickard was the sixth in order of birth in their family of seven children and.
like the other members of the household, was a pupil in the public schools of his
native city. He afterward attended Lewisburg College and subsequently was also
a student in the Waverly College and in the Tennessee Normal College at Nashville.
He next entered the University of Tennessee as a medical student and was graduated
in 1S93, at which time he won his professional degree. He then located for practice
in Nashville, where he remained from April, 1S94. until 1905. when his health became
impaired and he removed to Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was greatly benefited
by the change of climate and upon his recovery resumed the practice of medicine,
which he continued in Colorado Springs for five years. In the meantime he opened
a sanitarium for tuberculosis and in connection with general practice became well
known as a specialist on pulmonary diseases. On the 15th of August, 191,5, he again
had to abandon work for a time owing to overwork. He removed to Denver and
opened an office in the Commonwealth building, on January 1, 1916. whence he removed
to his present location at No. 1114 Sixteenth street. He confines his practice now
to diagnosis and to chronic and pulmonary diseases, and a most liberal patronage is
Dr. Pickard belongs to several lodges of this and other cities. He has been a
most close and discriminating student of his profession and of all problems connected
therewith and has taken an advanced stand upon many questions having to do with
public health and with the dissemination of knowledge concerning the spread of
disease. Actuated by the highest purpose, he has accomplished much in his chosen
field and his labors have been productive of splendid results. Dr. Pickard is also
a writer and composer, having written the two patriotic songs, "Our Flag." and
"Peace for the U. S. A."
GUME S. SWANSON.
Gume S. Swanson is living a mile and a half north of Berthoud, where he is ex-
tensively engaged in cattle raising. He has won the success that comes through close
application and indefatigable energy and his record is an indication of the opportunities
that are open to men of foreign birth in this land, for Mr. Swanson. although now a most
loyal citizen of the United States, was born in Sweden on the 4th of October, 1871, a son
of Swan and Ingre (Nelson) Gumeson. who were natives of Sweden. The father fol-
lowed farming in that country throughout his entire life and there passed away August
4. 18S2. His wife died in August. 1893, having survived him for more than a decade.
Gume S. Swanson was reared and educated in his native country and at the age of
eighteen years, or in 18S9, bade adieu to friends and native land and sailed for America.
He did not tarry on the eastern coast but at once made his way into the interior of the
country, traveling far beyond the Mississippi until he had reached Larimer county.
Colorado. He then made his home with his brother, for whom he worked for three
years, at the end of which time he went to Cripple Creek and was employed in the
mines for eleven years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Larimer county,
where he rented land for thirteen years, after which he purchased land in Weld county
but never farmed it. However, he rented it for four years, after which he traded that
property for his present place of one hundred and forty-seven acres. He has just com-
pleted a most commodious and beautiful residence upon his farm, has also erected large
and substantial outbuildings and has one of the finest improved places in the state.
Some of this land had not produced a crop in years on account of alkali, but Mr. Swpnson
has gotten rid of that and last year gathered three hundred bushels of oats from land
which for years before had not produced anything. He has followed most progressive
methods, has closely studied the conditions of the soil and has utilized the most modern
ideas concerning farm development. His is today a wonderfully beautiful and highly
cultivated place and stands as a monument to his thrift, enterprise and sound business
HISTORY OF COLORADO 481
judgment. He makes a specialty of raising pure bred shorthorn cattle and also Percheron
and Norman horses. He engages quite largely in feeding cattle, in which undertaking
he is associated with his brother. Together they have one hundred and fifty acres of
pasture land west of Campion. Gume S. Swanson is a director in the Berthoud Lake &
Reservoir Company of Berthoud, which was recently organized for irrigation purposes,
and he is also a stockholder in the Handy Ditch Company, the stock of which is worth
five hundred dollars per share.
On the 19th of August, 1906, Mr. Swanson was united in marriage to Annie Carlson
and to them have been bom two children: Carl M.. who was born July 17, 1907, and
Swan Vernon, born November 24, 1916. By a former marriage his wife had two
children: Edith, born in 1898, and Rath, in 1901.
Mr. Swanson is a member of the Farmers' Union and of the Benevolent Protective
Order of Elks, also the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the woman's auxiliary,
the Rebekahs. Politically he maintains an independent course. His religious faith
is that of the Swedish Lutheran church, his membership being at Loveland, where he
is serving as a trustee of the church, while in Its work he takes a very active and
helpful part. He is interested in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of
the community in which he lives and his entire life has been actuated by a spirit of
advancement. He has never waited for anything to turn up but has started out in
search of the opportunities which he believed would lead to success and, readily recog-
nizing such opportunities, he has utilized them to good advantage.
GEORGE A. HAMILTON.
George A. Hamilton is now living retired in Loveland, making his home at No.
745 Lincoln avenue. He was, however, identified for many years with ranching and
live stock interests in Larimer county, making a specialty of the raising of Suffolk
Punch horses. Of Canadian birth, he was born in Ontario, near London, October
4, 1S49, a son of Delona and Sarah (Wright) Hamilton, who were natives of Canada
and of the north of Ireland respectively. The father was a farmer of Ontario through-
out his entire life and there passed away in October, 1894. while his wife survived for
several years, her death occurring in the winter of 1907.
George A. Hamilton, spending his youthful days on his father's farm in Ontario,
attended the public schools during that lime in the acquirement of an education and
after his textbooks were put aside gave his entire attention to the farm work until he
had attained his majority. He then crossed the border into Michigan and bought land,
which he improved and developed for nine years. In 1879 he left the Mississippi valley
and came to Colorado, settling in Boulder county. He conducted a store at Longmont
and lived in the county for three years, subsequent to which time he removed to
Larimer county in January, 1883, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land
two miles south and five miles east of Loveland. This he at once began to cultivate,
bringing it into excellent condition. He kept buying more land from time to time
as his financial resources increased until he was the owner of thirteen hundred and
five acres, most of which is in Larimer county, with a small amount in Weld county,
but all in one tract. He also owns two hundred acres in Weld county five miles from
Longmont. He continued to cultivate and improve his land, residing thereon until
February, 1917, when he removed to Loveland. where he purchased a fine modern brick
bungalow which he now occupies through the winter months, while the summer seasons
are spent upon the farm. He rents all of his land, however, thus being relieved of
the active care and management of the place. While upon the farm he made a
specialty of the raising of thoroughbred Suffolk Punch horses and made two importa-
tions of these from England and his sons still raise that breed. He also made a busi-
ness of feeding sheep and he has extended his efforts into various other lines, indi-
cating his resourcefulness and ability in business. He is the president of the Con-
solidated Home Supply Ditch & Reservoir Company, is the vice president of the First
National Bank of Loveland and a stockholder in the Loveland National Bank.
On the 5th of October, 1875. Mr. Hamilton was married to Miss Charlotte E. Powers,
a daughter of Benjamin Franklin and Martha (Stephens) Powers, who were natives
of Ontario, Canada. The father was a farmer and in an early day went to Michigan,
where he purchased land which he continued to further cultivate throughout the
remainder of his days. His death occurred about 1900 and his wife passed away
about 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have become parents of eight children: Myron
S., now a merchant of Loveland; Mattie, the wife* of H. W. Hankins, residing at
Vol. n'— 31
484 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Greeley, Colorado; Clinton Roy, who is operating a farm near Wellington, Colorado;
Lillian May, at home; D. Ray, who is cultivating his father's farm; Alexander B.,
who is also farming one of his father's places; Gertrude, who died in March, 1884,
at the age of five years; and N'ellie, who passed away in March, 1892, when but eleven
months old. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have sixteen grandchildren and one of these
is married. In 1905 they made a four months' tour of Europe, crossing that section
of the country which has been the recent great battle front.
Politically Mr. Hamilton is a democrat, while his religious faith is that of the
Methodist Episcopal church. His life has ever been guided by high and honorable
principles and the sterling worth of his character is recognized by all with whom
he has had business or social relations.
HJALMER M. PETERSON.
Hjalmer M. Peterson, who is engaged in stock raising and dairying and is num-
bered among the foremost representatives of agricultural interests in Adams county,
was born in Colorado. September 2, 18S5, a son of George and Carolina (Anderson)
Peterson, the former a native of Denmark, while the latter was born in Sweden. The
father came to the new world in 1872 and made his way first to Indiana, where he
remained for a year and a half. On the expiration of that period he removed to
Colorado, establishing his home in Denver, and later he engaged in the live stock
business in this state. In 1890 he purchased the farm near Henderson upon which
he still resides and his wife is also living. They are numbered among the worthy
pioneer settlers of the state, having for many years been interested witnesses of its
growth and development and Mr. Peterson has contributed in no small measure to
the agricultural progress of the district in which he lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Peterson
were born three children: Rose, who is the wife of E. C. Mencimer; Hjalmer M, of
this review; and Angve, who is prominently known in connection with the fish indus-
try of the state. He is growing trout, of which he makes a specialty, handling about
one hundred thousand fish a year.
H. M. Peterson has spent his entire life in Colorado, being reared under the
parental roof and educated in the public schools. During vacation periods he assisted
his father in the farm work and has always continued on the old homestead, giving
his attention to general agricultural pursuits and stock raising. He owns forty-seven
acres of land, all under ditch, and the irrigation renders his place very productive.
He makes a specialty of stock raising and of dairying, both branches of his business
In 1910 Mr. Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Effie Phenell Foster and to
them was born a daughter, Effie B.. whose birth occurred June 9, 1911. The wife and
mother passed away September 17, 1913, her death being deeply regretted by the many
friends whom she had made during the years of her residence in Adams county.
Mr. Peterson and his daughter are faithful members of the Congregational church
at Henderson and he belongs also to the Modern Woodmen of America. His political
support is given to the democratic party, which finds in him an earnest and stalwart
advocate but not an ofllce seeker. A lifelong resident of Colorado, he is widely and
favorably known in the eastern part of the state and he is an enthusiastic champion
of Colorado and her opportunities.
ELMER A. HANKINS.
Elmer A. Hankins. residing near Campion in Larimer county, was born in Taylor
county, Iowa, March 26, 1874. a son of William A. and Sarah (Alkire) Hankins. who
are natives of Indiana and Ohio respectively. They became residents of Colorado in
1879 and settled in Boulder county, six miles west of Longmont, where the father
rented land upon which he lived until 1881. He then removed to Larimer county
and took up a homestead which is now the property of h's son, Elmer A. The father
at once set about improving and developing the place and continued its further culti-
vation until the spring of 1918, when he sold the property and removed to Campion,
occupying a residence formerly owned by his son Elmer. In fact they made an
exchange of property, the son taking the ranch and the father the home in the town.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 485
During the Civil war William A. Hankins was a member of the Union army, enlist-
ing in the Twenty-fifth Missouri Infantry, with which he served for three years.
Elmer A. Hankins was reared and educated in Boulder and in Larimer counties,
attending the public schools in both, for he was but five years of age when brought
by his parents to Colorado. Later he resumed his studies in the Colorado State Agri-
cultural College at Fort Collins and soon afterward took up farming on his own
account seven miles west of Greeley. There he purchased land which he has operated
most of the time since. He and his brother, A. D. Hankins, are now operating eight
hundred acres of dry land in Weld county, to which they have given their attention
for the past four years. This they carry on in addition to the home place of Elmer
A. Hankins, comprising one hundred and sixteen acres near Campion. He had two
hundred acres in wheat in Weld county in 1918 that gave a yield of thirty bushels
to the acre, while for three successive years it yielded forty-five bushels to the
acre, and one year fifty-three bushels. Mr. Hankins has cultivated his farm in
Larimer county for the past eleven years and he makes a specialty of raising pure
bred Shropshire sheep, which he exhibits at the stock show and on which he has won
several blue ribbons. He is a most energetic and enterprising business man ajid his
well defined activity, intelligently directed, has brought to him a gratifying measure
On the 25th of April, 1900. Mr. Hankins was married to Miss Pearl Davis, a
daughter of Martin and May (Richmond) Davis, who were natives of Bolton, New
York, and of 'Wlieeling, West Virginia, respectively. The father was born April 5,
1S32. He became a farmer of the Empire state and there resided until 1S79, when he
removed to Loveland. Larimer county, Colorado, where Mrs. Hankins was born on
the 28th of February, 1881. Her father took up a homestead five miles northeast of
Loveland and improved this place, known as the X D ranch. He purchased more land
at a subsequent period until he owned a half section in the X D ranch and a quarter
section in the mountains. He was very successful and as he prospered in his under-
takings made Investment also in town property in Loveland. He continued the culti-
vation of his ranch throughout the remainder of his days. He, too. was a soldier
of the Civil war, serving throughout the period of hostilities with a New York regi-
ment. He passed away in April, 1892, while his wife, long surviving, died in April,
1916. To Mr. and Mrs. Hankins have been born four children: Joseph William, whose
birth occurred September 18, 1901; Franklin D., whose natal day was September 23.
1906; Dorothy P., born December 2, 1910; and Elmer A., Jr., who was born on the
18th of October. 1911.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Seventh Day Adventist church and
in his political belief Mr. Hankins is a democrat. He has never been an aspirant
for public office, however, preferring to concentrate his time and energies upon his
business affairs, which have been carefully and wisely conducted, bringing to him
a substantial measure of prosperity.
JACOB H. WELTY.
Jacob H. Welty, engaged extensively in the raising of high grade cattle,
his. home on section 8. township 4, range 68, Weld county, about three miles east
and a mile north of Berthoud. Iowa claims him as a native son. He was born in
Tipton, Cedar county, Iowa. September 2, 1857, his parents being Henry and Eliza-
beth (Beech) Welty, who were natives of Pennsylvania and of Germany respectively.
The father was a painter by trade and at an early day went to Iowa, settling at
Tipton, where he resided throughout the remainder of his life. He was born in York,
Pennsylvania, December 11, 1S19. and was thirteen years of age when his father
removed with the family to Orange, Ashland county, Ohio. There on the 19th of
February, 1849, Henry Welty was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Beech and
to them were born the following named: William R., who resides at Clarence, Iowa;
George F., living in Highland Lake, Colorado; Mrs. Margaret Knott, of California;
Sarah, the wife of W. E. Bader, a farmer of Larimer county, Colorado; Mary, the