Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 62 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 62 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Miss Minnie Clay, a daughter of W. K. and Sophie Clay. Mrs. Griflin was born in
Missouri and by her marriage has become the mother of three children: Marvin C,
who is now with the national army in France; George C, who is an automobile
mechanic; and Howard H., who is in school.

Mr. Griffin is identified with the Woodmen of the World and his political alle-
giance is given to the democratic party, which he has supported since age conferred
upon him the right of franchise. His worth is acknowledged by all who know him
and as the years have passed he has won for himself a most creditable name and
place in Brighton. His life record, for he has always lived in this locality, is as an
open book which all may read and that his entire career has been worthy of regard
is indicated in the fact that his stanchest friends are those who have known' him
from his boyhood days to the present.



GEORGE W. LITLE.



Farming interests for many years were greatly promoted through the activities
of George W. Litle, who now lives retired at No. 447 East Eighth street, Loveland,
in Larimer county, Colorado. He brought to this state the enterprise and thorough
experience of the middle west, his birth having occurred in Lee county, Iowa, near
Port Madison, in May, 1841. His parents were Robert and Catherine (Miller) Litle,
the former a native of the north of Ireland and the latter of Virginia. The father
was brought to America in his youth and when a young man located in New Orleans,
there remaining for a time, operating a boat on the Mississippi river. His trip
comprised four hundred miles up the river and he successfully continued along that
line of work some time. He then, however, removed to Chester, Illinois, which is
near St. Louis, and there conducted a general store for several years, going at the
end of that period to Fort Madison, Iowa, where he bought land from the govern-
ment four miles west of Fort Madison. The tract was an unpromising wilderness
when he took it up but he immediately set himself to the arduous task of clearing
it and improved it year by year, also building a loghouse, which is still standing;
operating this farm in all for about twenty-six years. He then removed to Baxter
Springs, Kansas, where he engaged in the general merchandise business, conducting
an establishment of that kind for about ten years, when he retired, making his home
with our subject and his brother for about three years, at the end of which period
he returned to Baxter Springs, where he resided until his death. His wife passed
away in 1853.

George W. Litle was reared amid pioneer conditions in Iowa, where he pursued
his education in the schools adjacent to his father's farm and remained with his
parents until he reached the age of fourteen, when his undaunted enterprise decided
him to run away from home and take life's duties upon his own shoulders. He at
first went to Illinois, where he worked for a time, and then made his way to Wisconsin,
where he also was employed as a farm hand. He returned to the parental roof with
one hundred dollars, which he had carefully saved, and there remained until the
spring of 1861, when his undaunted spirit again moved him to seek new fields to dis-
cover. He. a brother and two other boys traveled across the country to California
with ox team, being five months on the road. In the Golden state they engaged in
mining and later Mr. Litle of this review bought a claim near the town of Jennie
Lind which he operated for two years. He then went to Idaho and with his brother
bought an interest in a mining claim which he operated for about four years, coming
at the end of that time, in 1867, to Larimer county, Colorado, where another brother
was operating a flour mill. Our subject entered into partnership with him and they
leased a mill and farm for five years, the brother operating the mill and Mr. Litle of
this review giving his attention to the farm. During this time he made several trips
to Laramie City. Wyoming, driving an ox team and walking the entire distance, and
also freighted for two seasons. In the winter of 1869 Mr. Litle hauled one hundred
and eight sacks of flour to Laporte and there sold it for eight dollars wholesale, the
merchant retailing it for fourteen dollars; in fact he was largely connected with the
pioneer enterprises of his section and can recount many interesting experiences in
connection with the early frontier days. He attended the first court in Fort Collins,
which was held in a government building. He served as a juror and as he coulti




MR. AND MRS. GEORGE W. LITLE



496 HISTORY OF COLORADO

obtain no other room to sleep in, had to pass the night in the jail. Subsequently^
Mr. Litle and his brother bought a one hundred and sixty acre homestead near
Loveland, which he greatly improved, and this he continued to operate for four or five
years, at the end of which time he sold out and bought four hundred acres, to the
cultivation of which he gave his undivided attention. He was the first man in his
county to set out an orchard and as a result was the first to sell apples by the barrel.
For four years Mr. Litle operated this place and then sold part of it, taking his
present home in Loveland as part payment. In 1910 he moved into town and since
then has alargely lived retired in the enjoyment of a gratifying income. He ever
followed progressive ideas and methods in his operations and displayed rare business
ability, thus acquiring a substantial competence.

In October, 1869, Mr. Litle was married to Miss Mary A. Bird, who was born and
reared within forty rods of Mr. Litle's old home in Lee county, Iowa. They have
adopted two children: May. who is the wife of Courtland Secord, a resident of Fort
Collins, by whom she has two children, one of whom is in the army; and Jean, the
wife of Harvey Elliot, of Loveland, by whom she has three children.

Mr. and Mrs. Litle are highly respected residents of Loveland, where they have
a handsome home at No. 447 East Eighth street which often is a gathering place
for their many friends. In his political affiliations Mr. Litle is a democrat, steadfastly
supporting the party, and has ever taken a lively interest in local affairs as well as
state and national issues. For seven years he served as justice of the peace, winning
high reputation for his fairness and impartiality, and he also served as water com-
missioner for the equal distribution of the waters of the Big Thompson, for a number
of years. Fraternally he is a member of the local lodge of Elks and for several years
was president of the Fraternal Aid. Mrs. Litle is a devout adherent of the United
Brethren church. Both have made valuable contributions to intellectual as well as
moral progress in their community but especially along agricultural lines Mr. Litle
has been successful, thus setting an example that may well be followed by other
local agriculturists. He introduced many new methods, especially in regard to cattle
feeding, along which line he specialized, and in every way has proven himself a leader
in his line of occupation. There is great credit due him for what he has achieved
as all that has come to him has been acquired through his own labor. Starting out
to earn his own living when a boy of fourteen years, he has made good use of the
opportunities presented to him and through wise utilization of his chances has attained
the substantial position which he now occupies, having at the same time won the esteem
and admiration of all with whom he has come in contact in business or private life.



MRS. MARY D. COLE.

Mrs. Mary D. Cole resides at Berthoud, enjoying a substantial income derived from
wise investments. For a number of years she was actively identified with agricul-
tural interests, giving supervision to the cultivation of an excellent ranch. It is fitting
that in the evening of her days she should be relieved from all business and financial
cares by reason of the sound business judgment that she has displayed in former years.
Mrs. Cole is a native of Calais, Maine. She was born December 14. 1837, a daughter of
James and Susan (Smith) Dyer, who were natives of Maine and of Massachusetts
respectively. The father followed farming in the Pine Tree state throughout his entire
life. He was born in 1799 and had reached the age of eighty years when in 1879 he
was called to his final rest. The mother survived for a number of years and died in
1892.

Their daughter, Mrs. Cole, was reared and educated in Maine and was graduated
from the Calais Academy with the class of 1S57. She then began teaching, which she
followed in the public schools of her native state for twelve years. On the expiration
of that period she made her way to Chicago, where she resided for a year or more and
then came to Colorado. About 1880 she took up a quarter section of land and devoted
her attention to its development and improvement for twenty-three years. Her farm
was situated a mile and a half north of Berthoud and she greatly improved the place,
adding to it substantial buildings, while the fields were brought under a high state
of cultivation through her enterprise and businesss ability. At length she removed to
Berthoud, where she has since resided, enjoying a well earned rest from further business
cares and responsibilities. She bought a fine modern home, which she now occupies,
enjoying all of the comforts of life.

Mrs. Cole has reared three children, two of whom she legally adopted, namely:



HISTORY OF COLORADO 497

James L. Sybrandt, who wished to take his father's name after he reached adult age
and who is farming four miles west of Berthoud; and Mary, who died in November,
1S92, at the age of eleven years. Mrs. Cole also reared her nephew, Alvin P. Hall,
who is now a member of the United States army.

Mrs. Cole was for fourteen years secretary of the Loveland Farmers' Institute.
She served on the school board of Berthoud for a time and has been much interested
in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of the community. She owns a business
bloCk in Berthoud but sold her farm in 1912. She has membership in the Eastern Star,
gives her political allegiance to the republican party and her religious faith is that of
the Presbyterian church, of which she has long been a loyal and helpful member. She
has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey, a woman of marked capabil-
ity and many good deeds, highly esteemed wherever known and most of all where
she is best known.



DORUS V. MILLER.



Dorus V. Miller, now living retired, making his home in Brighton, was in his
active business career identified with commercial and agricultural pursuits, but for
two decades has enjoyed well earned rest. He ^as born in Portage county, Ohio, May
13. 1858, a son of Henry and Rachel (Caris) Miller. He pursued his education in the
schools of Branch county, Michigan, having removed to that state with his parents
when he was but two years of age. He assisted his father in clearing farm land
there and continued to engage in the cultivation of the fields until 1884, when he
left the middle west and made his way to Colorado. For a time he was at Fort
Lupton, but after two months removed to Brighton and purchased a meat market,
which was located on the site of his present residence. He conducted the busi-
ness for two years in connection with George Twombly and Charles Hurley and
during the next spring his brother-in-law, William Hurley, joined the firm. About
that time Mr. Miller purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and turned his
attention to general farming, in which work he continued actively for many years.
He sold his ranch in 1906. He had previously purchased the John Twombly ranch,
which he still owns and from which he now derives a good annual rental. For two decades,
however, he has lived retired and so successfully was his business managed in previous
years that he now has a competence sufficient to meet all of his needs and also supply
him with many of the comforts and luxuries of life. His career illustrates v?hat can
be accomplished when there is the will to dare and to do. He started out in the busi-
ness world empty-handed and has gradually worked his way upward, his indefatig-
able industry and perseverance being the means of obtaining for him the substantial
measure of success which is now his.

In Denver, on the 27th of December. 1887, Mr. Miller was united in marriage
to Miss Anna McTiernan, a daughter of Martin and Anna (Lunney) McTieman and
a native of Port Henry, New York. Their religious faith is that of the Catholic
church, and fraternally Mr. Miller is connected with the Woodmen of the World,
having served as banker of Brighton Lodge, No. 134. His political endorsement is
given to the republican party and he has filled the office of alderman of Brighton and
has also served as mayor of the city. While in office he carefully studied municipal
needs and sought to meet these in every particular. He introduced progressive ideas
for the benefit and welfare of the community and his official service was one of worth
and benefit to the city which he represented.



ALFRED H. HANSCOME.



Alfred H. Hanscome, deceased, was well known as a representative of the farming
interests of Adams county. He was born in New Hampshire on the 21st of June,
1840, and his parents, Oliver and Mary J. Hanscome, were also natives of that state,
where they spent their entire lives. The son passed his >outhful days under the paren-
tal roof and acquired his education in the public schools among the Granite hills of
New Hampshire. At length he determined to try the opportunities offered in the
west and made his way to Kansas in 1858. There he remained for a year and then,
still attracted by the lure of "farther west," he made his way to Colorado, arriving
in Denver in 1S59. From that time until his demise he was connected with the state.
Vol. rv— 3 2



498 HISTORY OF COLORADO

He cast in his lot with its early agriculturists, taking up a homestead in Adams county
of one hundred and sixty acres, upon which his widow yet resides. Mr. Hanscome
bravely faced the hardships and privations incident to the settlement of the frontier.
It was many years before the district in which he lived had a railroad and the long
distances to market had to be covered with team and wagon, while crops brought
but low prices and it was difficult to obtain a start; out as the years passed on the
labors of the pioneers brought about decided changes in the conditions at first prevail-
ing. Mr. Hanscome bore his full share in the work of general improvement and develop-
ment, becoming recognized as one of the representative farmers of the community.

On December 12, 1878, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Hanscome and Miss
Alice Ike, a native of Nebraska, born September 1. 1861, and a daughter of Jacob Ike,
who crossed the plains in 1866 and took up his abode in what is now Adams county,
Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Hanscome became the parents of four children: Mary L., now
the wife of Otis G. Mathews; Bertha Alice, the wife of L. E. Gier, living in Denver;
Walter 0., occupying the old homestead; and Roy E., also a resident farmer of Adams
county.

Mr. Hanscome passed away on the 5th of May. 1893, and was laid to rest in the
Riverside cemetery in Denver. His long residence in this section of the state had
made him widely known and his demise was the occasion of deep and widespread
regret to his many friends. Those who knew him esteemed him as a man of genuine
worth and his family found in him a devoted husband and father whose first interest
was their welfare and happiness. As a pioneer he contributed to the development
and upbuilding of his section of the state, being among the first to penetrate into the
wilderness of Adams county and aid in the work of converting the plains into pro-
ductive fields.



WILLIAM MYERS.



William Myers is one of the venerable citizens of Adams county, having passed the
eighty-fifth milestone on life's journey. Moreover, he is numbered among the
pioneer settlers of Colorado who have been active in planting the seeds of civilization and
development in this section of the country. He was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania,
on the 18th of March, 1834, representing one of the old families of that state. His
parents. Henry and Hannah (Koller) Myers, were also natives of Pennsylvania, where
they spent their entire lives. To them were bom fourteen children, two of whom are
yet living.

William Myers was reared in the state of his nativity and at the usual age began
his education in the public schools. He remained at home with his parents until he
reached the age of twenty, when he started out to try his fortune independently. Leaving
Pennsylvania, he removed to Ohio, where he learned the blacksmith's trade, remaining
in that state for a year. He afterward ugain started westward and this time made
Shelbyville, Illinois, his destination. He lived there for four years and on the expira-
tion of that period took up his abode in Iowa City, Iowa, where he remained for a year.

Colorado was a most sparsely settled territory when he arrived within its borders
and Denver nothing more than a western mining camp when he took up his abode in
that city June 9, 1860. He continued to live in Denver for sixteen years and through
that period worked at the blacksmith'^ trade. In 1876 he removed to the farm whereon
he now resides and which he owns. It is a tract of one hundred and eighty acres
of rich and productive land situated on section 10, township 2, of Adams county. He
then concentrated his efforts and attention upon its cultivation and development and
as the years passed added many substantial improvements in keeping with the pro-
gressive spirit of the present time. He turned the first furrows in many of his fields
and brought the land under a high state of cultivation, so that substantial crops were
annually produced. The farm is still one of the attractive and valuable places of
Adams county, but Mr. Myers by reason of his advanced age has put aside the active
work of the fields, leaving the cultivation of the property to his son Robert A. On
this place was put down the first artesian well in Adams county.

On September 9, 1869, in Denver. Mr. Myers was united in marriage to Miss Hannah
E. Kinsey, who was born in Mercer county. Illinois, August 10, 1844, and they became
the parents of five children: Elsie, at home; Herbert W., who has passed away;
Robert A., living on the old homestead; and Harry and Orville, both of whom are
deceased. The wife and mother was called to her final rest on the 2d of February,
1918, and her grave was made in the Riverside cemetery at Denver. Mrs. Myers came




WILLIAM MYERS



500 HISTORY OF COLORADO

to Colorado in 1S6S and for a number of years was a teacher in the public schools of
the state.

Mr. Myers has made thirteen trips across the plains with team and wagon, and he
recalls many interesting incidents in connection therewith. The first trip, from Iowa
City to Denver in 1860, was made in thirty-five days. Of the four men who made up
the party, Mr. Myers is the only one to remain. The others, becoming discouraged by
the privations and hardships of the frontier, returned to the east after a short stay.

Mr. Myers gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and although never
an office seeker he has served as school director of Henderson for many years and
he is a charter member' of the Henderson Grange. His long residence in the state
has made him widely known and this, combined with. the sterling traits of his char-
acter, places him in the ranks of Colorado's honored pioneers.



SIMON P. SUITER.



Simon P. Suiter, whose home farm seven miles southeast of Fort Collins is a well
developed property of Larimer county, was born in Minnesota, June 16, 1867, a son of
Leonard and Catherine Suiter, who were also natives of that state. The father was a
carpenter by trade and always followed that pursuit in Minnesota, where he passed
away. His wife died in the same state in 1877.

Simon P. Suiter was reared and educated in Minnesota and there worked as a
farm hand in his youth and early manhood. He continued his residence in that state
until 1892, when he came to Colorado and took up his abode in Larimer county, where
he was again employed at farm labor for a few years. He worked diligently and with
determination, however, and after a brief period had saved enough to enable him to
begin farming on his own account. In 1S97 he located on the place owned by his
wife, comprising eighty acres, and has further developed and improved this to a con-
siderable extent, making it one of the good ranch properties of the district.

On the 17th of March, 1897, Mr. Suiter was married to Miss Florence M. Frederick,
a daughter of Phillip S. and Nancy (Keagy) Frederick, who are mentioned in con-
nection with the sketch of U. S. G. Frederick on another page of this work. Mr. and
Mrs. Suiter have had three children: Laura, who died November 28, 1910, at the age
of twelve years; and Nancy C. and Alice E., who are attending school.

Mr. Suiter has always been interested in the cause of education and has served
on the school board. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World and religiously is
identified with the Presbyterian church. His political views harmonize with the prin-
ciples of the democratic party and to it he has always given his support. He possesses
the spirit of western enterprise and is leading the busy life of a farmer whose labors
annually result in the harvesting of good crops.



JOSEPH FULTON HUMPHREY.

There is no question as to the importance of the public service which Joseph F.
Humphrey rendered to Colorado Springs, and with his death on the 6th of August,
1918, was chronicled the passing of one who was closely associated with nearly eve^y
phase of the upbuilding of the city. While he passed the seventy-ninth milestone on
life's journey, he did not come to an inactive and useless old age. He retained his
deep interest in affairs of life to the end and on the day on which he was stricken had
prepared to attend the national reunion of the Grand Army of the Republic in Port-
land, Oregon. His life story is one of interest from the opening chapter until the
word finis is written. He was born near Ripley, Ohio. March 4, 1839, and was a
youth of thirteen years when he accompanied his parents and the family to Belle-
fontaine, Ohio, where he attended high school. His initial step in the business world
was made in learning the machinist's trade and in 1860 he went south to become fore-
man of the machine shops at Holly Springs. Mississippi. When the trouble between
the two sections of the country took on alarming proportions he returned to the north
and for three years was in the service of his country, all of the time in the navy in the
Mississippi squadron. A contemporary writer has said: "One of the interesting events
in the lite of the deceased was his escape from the rebel army during the Civil war.
At the age of fifteen years he began to learn the machinist's trade in his father's shop.
In the year 1860 he secured a place in the machine shops at Holly Springs,



HISTORY OF COLORADO 501

and when the foreman left was promoted to that position. At the opening of the
Civil war the owner of the shops prepared machinery for the manufacture of guns.
When the federal army began to march south toward Holly Springs the machinery
was removed to Atlanta and he was given transportation there, but decided he would
either go north or attempt to escape through the lines. After a trip to a nearby plan-
tation he met a conductor on the Mississippi Central Railroad, who, surmising that
Mr. Humphrey wanted to go north, assisted him in his preparations for getting through
the lines.

"By the time the Union forces had left Memphis and started toward Holly Springs
he was enabled to walk into their lines, reaching there about six o'clock in the morn-
ing, after walking thirty miles. Among the members of an Ohio regiment he found
a number of his boyhood acquaintances. After recuperating for a day he went with
the army to Memphis. The entire country filled with Confederate cavalry. The
federal troops stopped at Lafayette to await supplies from Memphis, being on quarter
rations. The next day Humphrey started with a companion and rode through in a
sutler's wagon, stopping nine miles from Memphis for dinner. General Grant with
his staff halted for a little rest at this spot before proceeding to Memphis. The
Confederates, not recognizing him, made no attempt to stop his progress, as they were



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 62 of 108)