Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 63 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 63 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

anxious to capture a large wagon train of supplies that had been sent from Memphis
to the soldiers. On the morning of the next day they captured the wagon train
and escort and a railroad train at Germantown; also some prisoners.

"Mr. Humphrey then proceeded to St. Louis by steamer where he remained for
three weeks and then went on to Ohio to visit his parents. In the fall of 1862 he
went to work in a navy yard at St. Louis and built gunboats until the spring of 1863,
when he received an appointment as assistant engineer on the Osage of the Mississippi
squadron under Admiral Porter. Later he was transferred to the Neosha. He accom-
panied Banks' expedition up the Red River and afterward sailed up and down the
Mississippi and its tributaries and participated in numerous skirmishes. In August,
1865, he was detached from the Neosha and went to New Orleans on the Ibex, returning
from there to Mound City, where he was detached on leave of absence. It was his
intention to remain in the navy, but the war having closed he decided to resign and
was honorably discharged November 18, 1865, after a service of nearly three years."
After the close of the war Mr. Humphrey spent some time in railroad and engineer-
ing work in the south but transferred his activities to the west in 1870, when he
became paymaster of the Denver & Pacific Railroad, with headquarters at the capital.
When the Rio Grande was completed to Colorado Springs, in 1872, he removed to the
latter city and accepted the position of chief clerk in the auditor's department. He
turned from railroad activity to banking in 187S, on appointment to the position of
assistant cashier of the First National Bank, and the following year was made its
cashier. In that capacity he was long connected with the financial interests of the
city. He also achieved considerable success through mining operations in Leadville
and also through building operations in the new and rapidly developing town of
Colorado Springs. He arrived here about the time of the founding of the town and
was thus able to reap the benefit of its developing business conditions.

Mr. Humphrey not only promoted his own fortunes, however, but labored untiringly
for the benefit and upbuilding of the city and his name is synonymous with the estab-
lishment and promotion of many interests which have been of the greatest public
benefit. He voted with the republican party and because of his marked devotion to
the general good his aid was sought in public office. For two years he served as alder-
man of Colorado Springs and in 1883 was elected to the office of mayor, in which
position he gave to the city an administration marked by businesslike qualities and
notable devotion to duty. This led to his reelection and during his two terms in office
he had much to do with the beginnings of the water system, the park system, the fire
department and various other public enterprises. He frequently served as a delegate
to the state conventions of the republican party and in 1896 he was a republican presi-
dential elector, running three thousand votes ahead of his ticket — a fact indicative
of his personal popularity and the confidence and trust reposed in him by his fellow-
men. After having assisted in establishing various public utilities upon a safe basis
he became a member of the school board of Colorado Springs and made an excellent
record in that office through nineteen years. He likewise served for several years as a
trustee of Colorado College, but there was no other public interest that received as
fully his interest, attention and assistance as did the state institution for the deaf and
blind children. He was instrumental in having this institution located in Colorado
Springs and for twenty years he served on its board of trustees, continuing in the
office to the time of his demise. The value of his service was recognized by the board



502 HISTORY OF COLORADO

in naming one of the new and modern buildings of the institution Humphrey Hall.
He felt the deepest concern in the welfare and training of the unfortunate little ones
and desired that every possible effort should be put forth to make up to them for the
things which fate had denied them. He incorporated and was the first treasurer
of the original volunteer fire department of Colorado Springs and took great pride in
the pioneer fire-fighting organization. He could well be called the "father of the
city park system," for while mayor in 18S2 he planted the first trees set out in Acacia
park and converted that tract of ground into a real park, sowing grass seed there,
where everyone predicted that nothing could grow. It was through liis instrumentality
also that South park was platted and transformed into one of the beauty spots of
Colorado Springs.

In Ohio, in 1874, Mr. Humphrey was married to Miss Rebecca Miller, who passed
away in August. 1910, after which he made his home with his two sisters, Misses
Martha and Mary Humphrey. To him and his wife was born a son, Robert Guy, a
hydroelectric engineer, who is a resident of Rock Island, Illinois.

Mr. Humphrey was a Mason, belonging to the blue lodge at Bellefontaine, Ohio,
for fifty-eight years. He also had membership in Pikes Peak Commandery, No. 6,
K. T., in El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Denver, and in the Denver consis-
tory. The motive springs of his conduct, however, were found in his membership in
Grace Episcopal church, of which he was ever a loyal and devoted adherent and for
over forty years a vestryman. It is said that in every relation of life and to every
cause that he espoused he was loyal and steadfast, and while his friends miss him,
the memory of his beautiful life, of his sincerity and simplicity of character, will not
be forgotten. His friends will not mourn for him as they would for a young man cut
off in the flower and promise of youth, but will rejoice in his memory as that of a man
who laid down his task in the twilight of the day. when all that he had to do had been
beautifully and fully completed.



PETER A. LEYNER.



Peter A. Leyner was one of the worthy and substantial citizens of this state,
a Colorado pioneer and one of the first settlers in what is now Boulder county, where
he made his home for over forty-seven years. On May 2, 1860, he and his young
bride started on the long drive from their Iowa home to that new Eldorado known
in those days as Pike's Peak, where they arrived June 29, 1860. Soon they were
located in Lefthand canon, in Boulder county, where Mr. Leyner at first engaged in
raising garden produce, and on Boulder creek he remained throughout his life, grad-
ually developing a large property of over a thousand acres. Barring a few days
Peter A. Leyner reached the age of eighty-five years, covering a life of useful activity,
his birth having occurred on the 16th of November, 1822, in the little town of Dach-
enheim, in Rhenish Bavaria, the province also being known as the Bavarian Palat-
inate, in Germany. His parents were farming people and from them he inherited
that inherent love and understanding of the soil and the out-of-doors which remained
with him throughout his life. Owing to the narrow conditions existing in Germany
and with the desire to give his children better advantages, Mr. Leyner's father,
accompanied by the family, came to America in 1833 and settled in Butler county,
Ohio, where Peter A. Leyner largely received his education, and residing upon his
father's farm, became thoroughly acquainted with efficient methods of agriculture.
He remained with his parents, who had carefully instilled into him life's most im-
portant lessons, until his nineteenth year and then was engaged in farming on his
own account for four years in that neighborhood, until in 1851 he removed to Hagers-
town, Indiana, where he embarked in the mercantile business, there quite success-
fully continuing for about three years. In 1854 Mr. Leyner decided, however, to
strike out farther west and went to Des Moines, Iowa, where until the spring of
1860 he was engaged in the .real estate business. In the fall preceding, on Septem-
ber 13, 1859, he was united in marriage to Maria A. Dock, who was born in Fair-
field township, Columbiana county, Ohio, a daughter of Samuel and Lydia Dock, natives
of Pennsylvania, of Holland ancestry. Mrs. Leyner shared with her husband the
trials, privations and hardships of life as well as its triumphs and successes and
at the time of his death survived him.

As aforementioned, Mr. and Mrs. Leyner settled in Lefthand canon, Boulder
county, in what is now the town of Valmont, in the early summer of 1860, giving
their attention to the raising of vegetables. The trip from Iowa across the plains



504 HISTORY OF COLORADO

was accomplished by driving behind ox teams in the true and primitive pioneer style.
From that year until his death Peter A. Leyner was closely associated with develop-
ment and progress in Boulder county and he ever stood for those plans and measures
which had to do with upbuilding and substantial improvement. In Lefthand canon
the family resided until the spring of 1863. when he rented the farm of W. A. David-
son, on Boulder creek, on which he remained for two years, although this locality
continued to be his home until his demise — a period of over forty years. After the
two years on the Davidson farm he purchased one hundred and sixty acres ,of land
on the same creek, ten miles below Boulder City, where he first built a log cabin that
was covered with a dirt roof. It had a clapboard door, from which hung the latch-
string that was always on the outside, indicating the hospitable spirit that reigned
within. The family shared in the hardships and privations incident to the settle-
ment of the frontier and the development of a wild tract Into a productive farm, but
with persistent effort and determination the work was carried on. Undismayed by
drawbacks, he toiled in the fields day after day in order to develop his property and
bring his land under cultivation. He largely devoted his efforts to general agri-
cultural pursuits and stockraising and that gradually success came to him is evident
from the fact that he was enabled from time to time to purchase additional land
until he was the owner of over a thousand acres, highly improved. He was ever
ready to embrace the latest methods and make improvements which he considered of
durable value and thus in the course of time his became one of the best developed
properties of this section of the state.

To Mr. ana Mrs. Leyner were born seven children, the eldest being J. George
Leyner, who was the first white boy born in Boulder county. The others are: Prank
W., now living in the state of Oregon; Mrs. Nora K. Hartman and Mrs. Mattie M.
Howell, both mentioned elsewhere in this work; Mrs. Blanche Mackenzie, who Is
living in Arizona; Charles P., who makes his home in Denver; and Albert, who I3
still a resident of Boulder county, where he is devoting his attention to agricultural
Interests. He, too. is mentioned elsewhere in this work. The parents remained
residents of Boulder county until they were called to their final rest. They were
people of genuine worth, energetic, industrious and ambitious, and in all that he
undertook Mr. Leyner won success, his persistency of purpose being one of the
salient features in the attainment of his prosperity. All who knew him, and he
gained a wide acquaintance as the years passed, entertained for him high regard
and no history of the pioneer development of Boulder county would be complete
without mention of him, as he was one of the first settlers within its borders.
Hardly a home had been established in this section of the state when he took up
his abode here surveying a wild and undeveloped region, to the cultivation of which
he at once turned his energies, doing much to bring it to a high state of improve^-
ment, thus contributing toward the prosperity of the commonwealth and to general
advancement.



JOHN HENRY FARMER.



A spirit of undaunted enterprise has constituted the foundation upon which
John Henry Farmer has built his success. As the years have passed he has forged
steadily forward along the line of his chosen occupation and is today one of the
prominent and successful ranchmen living in the vicinity of East Lake. He was
born in Greene county. Missouri, November 7, 1S79. a son of James and Helen (Thorne)
Farmer. The father devoted his life to the occupation of tilling the soil and reared
his family in Missouri. There John H. Farmer pursued his education in the public
schools and in his youthful days did a man's work. He has been an active factor in
the world's work since reaching the age of ten years. He remained with his father
for a few years and afterward worked by the month as a farm hand until twenty-
two years of age. He then went to Oklahoma, where he remained for two years, after
which he came to Colorado In 1905, settling in Adams county. He remained for three
years on the Walley ranch as foreman, after which he took up teaming and threshing,
which he followed for two years. He next purchased one hundred and sixty acres
of irrigated land and he also has six hundred and forty acres of dry land. He is
now conducting his farming interests on an extensive scale and is meeting with excel-
lent success in his efforts. He allows no difficulty or obstacle to deter him if it can
be overcome by persistent and honorable effort. He works diligently, studies the best
methods and is watchful of results that are worth while. He has made for himself




JOHN H. FARMER



,506 HISTORY OF COLORADO

a creditable place among the representative agriculturists of the community and as
such deserves representation in this volume.

Mr. Farmer was married in April, 1903, to Miss Elizabeth M. Martin, a daughter
of John and Susan R. Martin and a native of Missouri. They have become parents of
four children: Faye Ellen. Farrell Susan, John Russell, and Velma Elizabeth.

Mr. Farmer is a republican in his political views but has never been an office
seeker. He has, however, served as school director and is interested in the cause of
progressive education. He is a director in the East Lake Water Company and a stock-
holder in the Bast Lake State Bank. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Wood-
men of America and to the Grange and is interested in every project of the lattei^
organization for the development of the farming interests of the community. He is
constantly studying how to improve conditions affecting agriculture, and his initiative
and enterprise have been productive of excellent results.



ANDREW C. JOHNSON.



Andrew C. Johnson, who is engaged in raising wheat and alfalfa on a forty-acre
farm in the vicinity of Eastlake, Adams county, was bom in Sweden on the 8th of
November, 1857, a son of Gustaf ^nd Johanna Johnson, the former a farmer by
occupation.

In the acquirement of his education Andrew C. Johnson attended the public schools
until he reached the age of fifteen, after which he concentrated his efforts and attention
upon farm work in his native country until 1884. He then bade adieu to Sweden and
to the friends of his youth and early manhood, and sailed for the United States, for the
reports which he heard concerning the opportunities of the new world led to his desire
to try his fortune on this side of the Atlantic. Reaching American shores, he at once
crossed the continent to Denver and thence went to Georgetown, where he engaged in
mining. He was employed in that way at various points in the Rocky Mountains until
1900, when he came to Adams county. Colorado, and purchased forty acres of land near
Eastlake. He has since devoted his time and energies to the development and im-
provement of this property, which is largely devoted to the raising of wheat and
alfalfa, and he annually gathers good crops.

Mr. Johnson was married in Golden on the 16th of October. 1891, to Miss Carrie
Peterson and they have two children, Helen and Catherine. Mr. Johnson votes with
the democratic party, having taken out his naturalization papers at Georgetown.
He has served as secretary of School District No. 4. His religious belief is that of the
Presbyterian church and he contributes generously to its support and is actively inter-
ested in its work. He has many substantial qualities worthy of all praise and as a
representative farmer of Adams county he is well known, tor his labors have been
wisely and carefully directed, bringing to him the success which he now enjoys.



ALBERT M. LEYNER.



Albert M Leyner still resides within the borders of Boulder county, where he was
born, his birthplace being the farm on which he still makes his home. His natal day
was November 12, 1877, and he is a son of Peter A. and Maria A. (Duck) Leyner. His
father was born in Germany but came to America in early life and in Indiana was
united in marriage to Miss Maria A. Duck, a native of Ohio. In 1860 they left the
Mississippi valley and made their way westward to Colorado, traveling with ox team
and wagon. They took up their abode in Boulder county, where the father secured a
ranch, on which he built a log cabin with a dirt roof and clapboard door. The familj'
shared in many of the hardships and privations of pioneer life and later, in the pros-
perity and progress of the county.

Albert M. Leyner obtained his education in the common schools and spent his
youthful days under the parental roof. He remained at home until he attained his
majority, after which he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he continued to follow
for ten years. He then resumed farming upon the old homestead property of hi?
father and later he purchased this farm, comprising one hiindred and sixty acres of
land, all of which is now under the ditch. He has since added many modem improve-
ments to the farm, which is a well developed property, carefully managed and divided



HISTORY OF COLORADO 507

into fields of convenient size by well kept fences. He uses the latest improved
machinery to facilitate the work of the farm and the plowing, planting and harvesting
are carried on according to modern scientific methods. He annually gathers good
crops and his labors thus find a substantial reward.

In 1897 Mr. Leyner was united in marriage to Miss Maymie L. Laughlin, who was
born in Colorado, a daughter of William J. and Mary Laughlin, who are still residents
of Boulder county. Mr. and Mrs. Leyner have two children, George A. and Frank J.,
both 8t home.

Fraternally Mr. Leyner is connected with the Masons, having membership with
Garfield Lodge, No. 50, A. F. & A. M. His political endorsement is given to the
republican party and he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day.
Always a resident of this county, he is widely and favorably known here and his
unfaltering labor and energy have gained him a place among the substantial agricul-
turists of his section.



THOMAS C. MORRISON.



Thomas C. Morrison, living at Morrison. Colorado, has practically retired from
business, although it was not an unusual thing in the summer of 1918 to see him
engaged in some part of farm work, for indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to
his nature and, moreover, he has ever been willing to do his full part in aiding the
country in the advancement of its agricultural interests notwithstanding the fact that
he has passed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten, while his
financial resources are sufDcient to supply him with all of the necessities and many of
the comforts of life without recourse to further labor. He is a representative of one of
the oldest and most prominent pioneer families of his section of the state. He was
born in Montreal, Canada, June 22, 1847, a son of George Morrison, Sr., whose birth
occurred in the same city on the 16th of April, 1822, and who was descended from
Scotch ancestry. After attending school in his native country the father learned the
stonecutter's trade and subsequently crossed the plains with ox teams, leaving Alton,
Illinois, on the 1st of April. 1859, and making the long and arduous journey to Denver,
where he arrived in May He then went to Idaho Springs, where he engaged in mining
for nine weeks but at the end of that time established a small store and butcher shop
Just above the present power plant in the town. Later he removed to the Green Moun-
tain ranch in Jefferson county, where he spent the winter of 1859-60, experiencing all
the hardships and difficulties of frontier life yet bravely and resolutely meeting these
hardships in order to aid in the work of icclaiming the region tor the purposes of
civilization. With business interests of the locality he was closely identified and began
the building of the Mount Vernon House, which was one of the early hotels of the
district. There he resided until spring. In 1864 he bought three hundred and twenty
acres of land but afterward sold part of it to the Morrison Town Company. The
present town of Morrison was named in his honor and is located upon a part of the
land formerly in his possession. He became one of the organizers of the Morrison Town
Company and served for many years as its president. For some years he engaged in
the operation of a stone mill and plaster of paris factory and he was the first man to
deliver cut stone in Denver. With many features of pioneer development he was closely
associated and his cooperation could at all times be counted upon to further measures
and movements for the general good. His political allegiance was given to the republi-
can party and he filled the office of justice of the peace, discharging his duties with
marked fairness and impartiality. In Montreal he was married to Miss Isabella Murray,
a native of Edinburgh. Scotland, born in April, 1813. For many years they traveled
life's journey together, being separated by the death of Mrs. Morrison in Morrison, Colo-
rado, on the 28th of February, 1887. while Mr. Morrison survived until June 11, 1895.
when he, too, was called to his final rest. They were the parents of four children, of
whom two passed away in infancy, the others being George and Thomas C.

The latter was a pupil in the common schools of Illinois through the period of his
early boyhood and afterward continued his education at Mount Vernon, Colorado. He
was a youth of twelve years at the time of the removal of the family to Colorado and
has therefore been a witness of the growth and progress of the state for six
decades and has ever borne his part in promoting those interests wliich have led to the
substantial advancement and benefit of his district and state. At one time he owned a
controlling interest in the Bear Creek road, but the floods of 1878 and 1S79 caused him




MR. AND MRS. THOMAS C. MORRISON









'" "T/






^1




i


"'l^a^K


I >!




'^^^k


"/


>)


."'^i^^^V^






"▼








510 HISTORY OF COLORADO

great losses and in 1880 he removed to Gunnison, where he embarked in the butchering
business and also opened a general store, which he conducted from 1880 until 1882. He
then turned his attention to the sheep industry, in which he engaged for three years,
supplying Idaho Springs and Central City with sheep and also with cattle. He started
a meat market at Morrison, which he conducted for five years, but is now living retired.
His life has been one of continuous activity carefully directed and his perseverance and
energy have been the salient factors in winning his success.

On the 5th of October, 1873, Mr. Morrison was married to Miss Esther Schaffter, of
Morrison, a daughter of David and Isabella Schaffter, who were natives of the French
portion of Switzerland. They were married in that country and to them were born
eight children. In 1855 David Schaffter came to America and was followed eight months
later by his wife and daughter Esther, who made the voyage on a sailing vessel and were
forty-eight days in crossing the Atlantic. The family settled first in Indiana, not far
from Fort Wayne, and afterward removed to Ohio, whence in 1870 they made their way
to Tipton, Missouri, where they spent the remainder of their days, the wife and mother
passing away in 1884. at the age of seventy years, while the father was called to his
final rest in 1911, at the age of eighty-seven years. Their daughter Esther came to
Colorado in 1872, settling in Jefferson county, where she met and married Thomas C.
Morrison. Their children are seven in number: Annabelle; Robert; Charles; Carlton;
Louise, living in Detroit; George, a resident of California; and Margarita. There are
thirteen grandchildren. Both Mr. and Mrs. Morrison are members of the Christian



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 63 of 108)