Science church, in the work of which they are most active, and are numbered among
its most prominent representatives in Morrison. Their aid and influence is ever given
on the side of progress and of cultural advancement and their reading has been broad
Mr. Morrison's military record covers three months' service as a member of Com-
pany K of the Third Colorado Volunteers, with which he participated in the battle of
Sand Creek. He is a well known pioneer settler whose memory forms a connecting
link between the primitive past and the progressive present. He lived in the state when
it was no unusual thing to see Indians, when there were many wild animals on the
plains and on the hill slopes and when the work of progress and improvement seemed
scarcely begun. He has lived to witness the development of many of the important
mining camps, the establishment of many now progressive towns and cities and at all
times he has rejoiced in what has been accomplished as this richly endowed region has
been taken over for the purposes of civilization.
CARROLL C. HENDERSHOTT.
Carroll C. Hendershott is an alert, energetic and wideawake young business man,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
devoting his attention to agricultural interests on section 16, township 4, range 68,
m Weld county. His place is pleasantly and conveniently located about four and a
half miles east of Berthoud, so that the opportunities of the city are easily obtainable.
Mr. Hendershott was born in Larimer county, Colorado. October 19, 1886, a son of
Louis W. and Harriet (Keirnes) Hendershott, the former a native of New York
and now living retired in Berthoud. He is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Coming
to Colorado in an early day. he purchased a farm about 1880 and upon the old home-
stead Carroll C. Hendershott was reared. The father continued the cultivation of the
land until 1900, when he turned it over to care of his sons but continued to reside
upon the place until 1914, when he removed to Berthoud, where he now owns and occu-
pies a beautiful home.
Carroll C. Hendershott is indebted to the public school system of Colorado for
the educational opportunities which he enjoyed and which qualified him for life's
practical duties. When he had mastered the elementary branches of learning he
became a pupil in the high school at Berthoud and afterward enjoyed the advantage
of a business course at Boulder. He remained with his parents until he had attained
his majority and for four years he occupied positions as a bookkeeper at Berthoud
and at Greeley, Colorado. At length, however, he resumed agricultural life by renting
the old home place, which he has since operated, and he also purchased eighty acres
adjoining on the west. His place is well improved and his time and attention are now
given to the development and cultivation of two hundred and forty acres of land which
makes ready response to the care and labor which he bestows upon it, returning sub-
stantial harvests as a reward for his industry. He makes a business of feeding cattle
and sheep, and adds materially to his financial resources in this way.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 511
In January. 1915, Mr. Hendershott was married to Miss Marion Hall, a daughter of
Walter and Frances (Dyer) Hall, who were natives of Portland, Maine. Her father
was for many years a sailor on the seas but eventually took up painting and paper
hanging. He came to Colorado about 1900, settling in Denver, where he resided for
two years and then removed to Berthoud, Larimer county, where he and his wife
still make their home. Mr. and Mrs. Hendershott have become parents of two children:
Carroll C, Jr., born August 8, 1917; and Horace H., born on the 4th of December,
Mr. Hendershott maintains an independent course in regard to politics, voting
according to the dictates of his judgment. He is well known in Masonic circles, having
taken the degrees of lodge, chapter and commandery and also of the Eastern Star.
He is a member of the Presbyterian church, contributing generously to its support,
and he holds to high standards of manhood and citizenship, cooperating heartily in all
those interests which have to do with the uplift of the individual and the welfare of
the community at large.
AMBROSE R. MtCOOL.
Ambrose R. McCool is a retired farmer of Adams county to whom success in sub-
stantial measure has come as the reward of his persistent, earnest and energetic efforts.
He was born in Galesburg, Illinois. June 13, 1855, a son of John S. and Lucy (Rucker)
McCool. The father was a native of Ohio and the mother of Indiana. They removed
to Illinois at an early day and in that state the mother passed away in 1S58. The
father afterward left the Mississippi valley for Colorado, where he arrived in 1860,
and his death occurred in this state in 1892. In the family were four children, two
of whom are yet living.
It was in 1869 that Ambrose R. McCool came to Colorado, where he completed
his education as a pupil in the Denver schools. In 1872 he removed to a farm that
is now the county poor farm and resided thereon for twenty-seven years, at the end
of which time he sold it to the county tor the purpose for which it is now used. For
a number of years he and his father were engaged in merchandising in Wyoming and
afterward Ambrose R. McCool again took up the occupation of farming and stock
raising, which he followed in Adams county, Colorado. For a considerable period
he directed his efforts along that line with excellent results but has now sold his farms
and is living retired, for his energy and perseverance in former years brought to him
a very substantial competence that now enables him to rest from further labor.
In 1904 Mr. McCool was married to Miss Edith Foster, who was born in Ohio, a
daughter of William B. and Emma (Koch) Foster, who were also natives of that
state. The father has passed away but the mother is still living, making her home at
the present time in Los Angeles, California. Mr. and Mrs. McCool have become parents
of two children: John A„ who was born March 24. 1907; and Ardanelle A., born
January 25, 1911. Mrs. McCool is a graduate of the Cincinnati schools and for several
years successfully engaged in teaching. She is a lady of liberal education and culture
and both Mr. and Mrs. McCool occupy an enviable position in social circles. Mr. McCool
belongs to Elks Lodge No. 17 and his political allegiance is given to the republican
party. He is now serving as president of the school board and the cause of education
has ever found in him a stalwart champion. His has been a busy and useful life and
he is truly a self-made man. As the architect of his own fortunes he has builded
wisely and well and his life record should serve to inspire and encourage others,
showing what can be accomplished through individual effort guided by sound judgment.
EDWARD F. MUNROE.
Edward F. Munroe. one of the successful ranchmen of Larimer county, who has
gained substantial profits in the business of feeding cattle and sheep, makes his home
on section 20, township 8. range 69 west, about six miles northeast of Fort Collins.
He was born in the province of Quebec, Canada, in July, 1879, a son of John and
Ann (Nixon) Munroe, who were natives of Scotland and of Canada respectively. The
father was a farmer in Quebec throughout his entire life and there passed away in
July, 1912, at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died in 1898, when forty-four years
512 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Edward F. Munroe was reared and educated in Canada and remained with his
parents to the age of nineteen years, when in 1898 he removed to Weld county, Colo-
rado, where he secured employment as a farm hand, thus working for three years.
On the expiration of that period he felt that his experience and his ability fitted him
for carrying on business on his own account and he rented land near Eaton, Weld
county, for a year. He then removed to Larimer county, wliere he cultivated rented
land for nine years, after which he bought and sold .several places. Finally he invested
in one hundred and fifty-seven acres where he now resides. This place was fairly well
improved and he has added to it various other modern improvements and has con-
tinuously cultivated the ranch. He has always made a business of feeding sheep and
cattle and this has proven a very profitable source of income to him. In all that he
has undertaken he has won success and from time to time he has made judicious
investments in property and is the owner of other farm land in Larimer county besides
the place upon which he makes his home. In business affairs he has shown sound
judgment and discrimination and his success is the direct outcome of these qualities
combined with unfaltering diligence.
On the 24th of December, 1905, Mr. Munroe was married to Miss Gertrude E.
Haney, a daughter of John and Almoria (Redd) Haney, who were natives of Illinois
and of Jackson county, Missouri, respectively. The father was a stone mason by trade
and in early life went to Kansas, where Mrs. Munroe was born. Her father resided
in the Sunflower state throughout his remaining days, his death there occurring in
October, 1SS9, and his widow nov/ makes her home in Arkansas City, Kan'Sas.
In his political views Mr. Munroe is a republican, having always supported the party
since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. His religious faith is that of
the Methodist Episcopal church and to its teachings he loyally adheres. In all business
affairs he has been thoroughly reliable as well as enterprising and those who know
him speak of him in terms of high regard.
August Hattendorf. numbered among the ranchmen of Adams county, was born
in Germany, December 31, 1867, a son of George and Carlina (Weiland) Hattendorf.
He came to the Ignited States with his parents and the education that he received
was obtained in the schools of Chicago. He afterward worked at Lincoln, Nebraska,
for four years and then made his way to western Nebraska, settling in Cheyenne
county, where he engaged in farming in connection with his father. About 1885 he
came to Colorado and settled in Brighton, where he resided for a time and also at
Fort Lupton until 1906, when he purchased forty acres of land near Brighton and has
since devoted his time and attention to its cultivation and improvement. His work is
systematically done, productive of good results, and he is now meeting with a substan-
tial measure of success.
In May, 1S98, Mr. Hattendorf was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Costello.
a daughter of John and Ellen (Kenahan) Costello, natives of England. To Mr. and
Mrs. Hattendorf have been born five children: George E., who is now in the United
States navy; Cecil; Albert; Rose; and John. Mrs. Hattendorf came to America with
her people, arriving in Denver in 1894. Her parents are both now deceased. Mrs.
Hattendorf is a Catholic in religious faith, attending St. Augustine's church at Brighton.
Fraternally Mr. Hattendorf is connected with the Woodmen of the World and his
political support is given to the democratic party, with which he has affiliated since
attaining his majority. He is well known in the community in which he makes his
home as an enterprising agriculturist and one who has gained his success by deter-
mined and individual effort.
MARK M. MORRIS.
Mark M. Morris, postmaster of Henderson, where he is also engaged in mer-
chandising, was born on the 30th of October, 1S71, in the vicinity of the town in which
he now makes his home, his parents being Richard and Rebecca (Truax) Morris.
The father was born in Missouri, while the mother was a native of Ohio. They crossed
the plains from Missouri to California in 1866 and returned eastward as far as
Colorado in 1868, at which time Mr. Morris preempted eighty acres of land and also
MARK M. MORRIS
514 HISTORY OF COLORADO
purchased a tract of forty acres. Upon that farm he resided to the time of his death
and gave his attention and energies to its development and improvement, converting
It into a rich and productive tract of land. He passed away April 6, 1882, arid hl^
wife died in November, 1SS8.
Mark M. Morris was educated in District School No. 8 of Adams county and
also attended the Central Business College of Denver in 1893. When fifteen years of
age he went to Dakota and lived with his brother, working there until 1891, after
which he pursued his business college course. During the years 1894 and 1895 he
farmed upon the home place and on the 6th of March. 1896, he purchased a general
merchandise store at Henderson, which he conducted for thirteen years. In 1909,
however, he was elected county commissioner for a term of four years and sold his
store, concentrating his efforts and attention upon the faithful performance of his
official duties. With his retirement from office in March, 1913, he purchased the store
of which he had formerly been proprietor and has since successfully conducted it.
On the 24th of December, 1914, he was appointed postmaster of Henderson and has
since occupied that position: He also has fifteen acres of land which he farms.
His time is thus busily occupied and his well directed energies are bringing to him
a substantial competence.
On the 2d of June, 1898, in Denver, Mr. Morris was united In marriage to Miss
Pruda Gilpin, a daughter of Samuel and Esther Ann (Yarrington) Gilpin. Mrs:.
Morris was born in Kansas and is a relative of the Gilpin family that figured promi-
nently in connection with the early history of Colorado. Her father was a veteran of
the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Morris have been bom five children: Mark Loren,
Beulah Marguerite, Eula Esther, Lester Alfred and one who died in infancy.
Mr. Morris is a democrat in his political views and has served as school director
and as treasurer of his school district. Fraternally he is connected with the Wood-
men of the World. He turns to the hunting of big game for rest and .recreation and
greatly enjoys the sport but never neglects business or official duties for enjoyment.
ROBERT H. WEIR.
The duties of postmaster of Otis are ably discharged by Robert H. Weir, who came
to this city in 1909 and was for a number of years connected with mercantile interests,
thus contributing by his activities to the growth of his community. He is a native of
Ontario, Canada, born February 14. 1859. a son of David and Christina (Richmond)
Weir, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Scotland. The father came to
the United States in 1869 and located near Estherville, Iowa, where he acquired landed
interests. He had emigrated from Ireland to Canada when but a boy and in the
Dominion he farmed until he crossed the border, making his way to Fort Dodge, Iowa,
which was the nearest railroad terminal to his land. He improved his farm and suc-
cessfully cultivated it during the remainder of his life, attaining a gratifying measure
of prosperity. He passed away in December, 1899, his wife's death having occurred
in April of the same year. They had a family of eight sons and one daughter.
Robert H. Weir was reared under the parental roof and removed with his parents
to Iowa when ten years of age, receiving the greater part of his education in that state.
He remained upon the home farm assisting his father in the cultivation of the fields
until he was twenty-three years of age, at which time he decided to seek out newer
fields for his activities. In 1882 he filed on a homestead, near Huron, South Dakota,
on which he proved up, and this farm he cultivated until 1895, when he removed to
Oberlin, Kansas, where he again acquired a farm, upon which he placed many im-
provements and which he successfully operated for thirteen years. In 1909 he came to
Otis and engaged in the mercantile business, perceiving the need of such an establish-
ment in the community. He built a modern store and carried generally approved lines,
trying to please his customers to the best of his ability. It was therefore but natural
that success attended his venture and prosperity resulted from the enterprise. After
having conducted his business for five years he was appointed postmaster and has
since served as such, discharging his duties punctiliously, systematically and to the
great satisfaction of the patrons of the office. In this connection it may be mentioned
that his daughter was also at one time postmistress for two years.
On November 4, 1883, Mr. Weir was united in marriage to Miss Margaret J. Brown
and to them were born six children: Anna, the wife of R. H. Hooker,' an agriculturist
of Washington county, Colorado; James D., who farms some twenty miles north of
Otis; Eva, the wife of L. N. McLung, who is a successful carpenter of Otis, Colorado;
HISTORY OF COLORADO 515
Charles D., who follows agricultural pursuits in Washington county; Fred G., who is
engaged in draying in Otis; and Maurice, who operates a cream station in Otis.
Mr. Weir is a democrat and stanchly supports the candidates of his party. His
religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and fraternally he is connected with
the Modern Woodmen of America. As the years have passed he has become prosperous
and today he owns the postoffice building and also the store building in which he
formerly conducted his own enterprise, but which he now rents. He also has resi-
dential property. In the growth of his community and the prosperity of his county
he has always been interested and readily supports measures and movements for the
benefit of the general public, proving himself thereby a valued citizen of the district
in which he resides.
HON. CARLTON C. CALKINS.
Hon. Carlton C. Calkins, of Longmont, dating his residence in Colorado from
1871, has been prominently identified with various professional and business interests
leading to the development and progress of the state. His name figures in conpec-
tion with banking and milling interests and also with much constructive engineering
work. He was bom in Saratoga county, New York, October 4, 1847, a son of Calvin
P. and Elizabeth (Smith) Calkins, who were also natives of Saratoga county. The
ancestor of the Calkins family in America came from Wales in 1636 and his descendants
have since played an important part in the development of various localities. Calvin
P. Calkins devoted his life to farming in Saratoga county. New York, where his
grandfather settled in pioneer times. Four generations of the family were horn and
reared on the old homestead farm, which Calvin P. Calkins continued to cultivate
throughout his entire life. He passed away June 20, 1877, while his wife survived until
Carlton C. Calkins was reared on the old homestead and completed his educa-
tion in Union College, from which he was graduated as a civil engineer in 1868, being
a classmate of George Westinghouse. In the same year Mr. Calkins removed to Chi-
cago, where he sought a position as a civil engineer, but not successful in finding
work along the line of his profession, he accepted a position as a farm hand at what
is now Norwood Park, Chicago. He also taught in a country school in that locality
and during the next year he rented land which he cultivated and also continued
teaching for a time. While in Chicago with a load of produce he saw a card on a
window advertising the "Chicago-Colorado Colony." He at once investigated, became
a member of the colony and on the 11th of March, 1871, arrived in Longmont, Colo-
rado, with his wife and little child. He built a modest home which is still standing
and which was the birthplace of his oldest son, who was the first male child born in
Longmont and the second nativeborn citizen. Mr. Calkins had no means at the time of
his arrival in the west. He scorned no employment that would yield him an honest
living and upon the foundation of unwearied industry and perseverance has huilded
his success. Three years after coming to this state he filed upon a tract of land, for
which he obtained a patent signed by President U. S. Grant. This document is still
in his possession. He made splendid improvements upon the place as the years passed
by and brought his fields under a high state of cultivation. He also extended the
boundaries of his farm from time to time by additional purchase until his holdings
aggregated six hundred and forty acres, which he continued to develop and cultivate
from 1876 until 1895. He engaged in general farming and in dairying and became
very prosperous. In 1895, however, he retired from agricultural life and took up his
abode in Longmont, where he resumed work along professional lines. He served as city
engineer for a term of years and established the sewer system of the city, covering
about fifteen miles. He also put in the sewer system in the town of Berthoud,
In 1892-3 Mr. Calkins served as a member of the state legislature and so excellent
was his record in the house that he was then nominated by his party for state senator,
but he would not accept. He preferred to concentrate his efforts and attention upon
business affairs. While he was residing on the farm the Farmers National Bank of
Longmont was organized and he became one of its stockholders and directors and in
both connections has since continued. In 1911 the directors bought out another bank
which was known as the E & B Bank, but the namei has since been changed to the
American National Bank. Of this Mr. Calkins is also a stockholder and director. In
1885 he became associated with other farmers in building a flour mill in Longmont,
516 HISTORY OF COLORADO
which is yet in operation, and they erected a still larger mill in Denver. Mr. Calkins
has continued a stockholder and director of the enterprise since its Inauguration and
has been secretary of the board most of the time, the business being conducted under
the name of the Longmont Farmers' Milling & Elevator Company. Their interests have
been gradually broadened and they now have mills in Utah besides those already men-
tioned and fifteen elevators throughout Colorado.
In December, 1870, Mr. Calkins was married to Miss Catherine Boyce and to
them were born five children: Benjamin W., a business man of Longmont; Herbert
v., who is occupying a part of his father's farm ; Ernest C, who is with the Standard
Oil Company In California; Anna E., the wife of E. J. Estes, operating a creamery in
Longmont; and Carlton, who died in infancy. The wife and mother passed away in
February, 1906, and in November, 1908, Mr. Calkins was married to Mrs. Lilla (Davis)
Katz. They have an adopted daughter, Lillian May, now attending school. Mrs.
Calkins is a daughter of George M. and Sadie (Baird) Davis, natives of Massachusetts
and of Michigan respectively. The father was a mechanical engineer and became a
pioneer of Colorado, removing to this state with his parents in 1861, when but eight or
nine years of age. He has since resided in Boulder county and for twenty-five years
he has been the engineer of the Farmers' mill in Longmont. There was no town of
Longmont at the time of his arrival in the state.
In politics Mr. Calkins maintains an independent course, voting according to the
dictates of his judgment without regard to party ties. His religious faith is that of
the Presbyterian church and he is identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Be-
nevolent Protective Order of Elks. In the former he has attained the Knight Templar
degree of the York Rite and is also a member of the Mystic Shrine. He has ever kept
in touch with the trend of modern thought and progress and has become a forceful
and prominent factor in the community in which he makes his home. For a long period
he has especially studied irrigation projects and his efforts have been effective in pro-
moting advancement along that line, while as a business man he has contributed in
substantial measure to the material development and upbuilding of the state.
RALSTON B. DEATHERAGE.
Ralston B. Deatherage, who is devoting his time and energies to the development
and improvement of a farm of four hundred and eighty acres in the vicinity of Derby,
was born in Knox county. Illinois, October 17, 1870, a son of James W. and Catherine
M. (Kuntz) Deatherage, whose family numbered six children and for their support
the father devoted his attention to the occupation of farming. He spent his remaining
days in Knox county, while the mother, now in her eighty-fifth year, is a resident of
Ralston B. Deatherage pursued his education in the schools of Knox county,
Illinois, to the age of twelve years and then removed with his half brothers, Richard
and Oliver Callaghan to Clay county, Nebraska, where he resided for two years. On