the expiration of that period he came to Colorado in the spring of 1885, and was em-
ployed in the eastern part of the state for four years. He then took up his abode
in Denver, where he devoted a year to teaming and afterward went into the moun-
tains at the head of the Platte. He was at South Park and Leadville and drove a team
into the Cripple Creek district when the city was nothing but tents. He afterward
worked in mining towns for fourteen years, devoting his attention to mining and
lumbering, and was also employed on the building of mountain roads for a year.
He subsequently returned to Denver, where he engaged in the teaming business for
eight years, hauling material for the Foster building, and he also did the excavating
for the Robert W. Steele school. He next turned his attention to farming near Broom-
field, where he remained for two years and then took up his abode on the Mabee
ranch, which he leased for a year. He next removed to his present farm, leasing four
hundred and eighty, acres of land, of which he has two hundred and forty acres under
a high state of cultivation. He also has one hundred and twenty-seven head of cattle
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
upon his farm. "When he first took up his abode upon this place he engaged exten-
sively in the breeding of Percheron horses and he is now breeding Hereford cattle,
having high grade stock upon his place. He also raises wheat, alfalfa, sugar beets
and pinto beans, annually harvesting large crops, for his methods are thoroughly prac-
tical and therefore resultant. He is familiar with the most improved methods of pro-
ducing these crops and his harvests are most gratifying.
Mr. Deatherage was married to Miss Elizabeth Frey, a native of Summit county,
518 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Colorado, and a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Gall) Frey, who had come from
Michigan to Colorado in 1871, locating first in Denver, and then in Golden in the
early seventies. In 1876, they removed to Summit county, locating near Montezuma,
where the father spent the remainder of his years. The mother survives and continues
to make her home on the old home place in Summit county. It was on the 7th of
June, 1916, that Mr. and Mrs. Deatherage were married. They have many warm
friends in the community in which they reside and their sterling worth is recognized
by all. Mr. Deatherage gives his political allegiance to the democratic party but is
not an office seeker, for he prefers to concentrate his time and efforts upon his busi-
ness affairs, which have brought to him substantial and well merited success.
JOHN J. COFFEY.
John J. Coffey, a resident farmer of Adams county, was born in Mason county,
Illinois, on the 28th of August, 1864, his parents being Daniel and Anna (Burkett)
Coffey, who were natives of Ireland but came to America in 1857 and 1860 respectively.
They crossed tlie country to Mason county, Illinois, and there were married August 15,
1863, and established their home upon a farm The father devoted the succeeding
thirty years to agricultural pursuits and was then called to his final rest in 1887. The
mother is still living and now makes her home in Pocatello, Idaho, at the age of
seventy-seven years. They had a family of seven children, five of whom still survive.
John J. Coffey was reared and educated in Illinois, passing through consecutive
grades in the common schools until he became a high school pupil. He arrived in
Colorado in 1898 and after a brief stay in Jefferson county, settled in Adams county,
since which time he has improved the farm whereon he now resides and, adding to
his possessions as his financial resources have increased, he has become the owner of
four hundred and eighty acres of land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation
and is well irrigated. His ditch system furnishes an adequate water supply and the
land is kept highly productive through the rotation of crops and through the cultivation
of such cereals as are best adapted to soil and climate.
Mr. Coffey has been married twice. In 1893 he wedded Miss Georgia Milleson, a
native of Illinois, and they became the parents of two children: Leo, who follows farm-
ing on part of his father's land; and one who died in infancy. The wife and mother
passed away in Illinois in February, 1897. and was laid to rest in the New Lebanon
cemetery in Mason county. In 1899 Mr. Coffey was again married, his second union
being with Mrs. Louisa (Spinner) Foster, the widow of Sherman T. Foster, by whom
she had four children: Charles D. ; Ora M.; Dora, who is a twin of Ora and is the
wife of "William Fuller; and Effie, the deceased wife of H. M. Peterson.
Mrs. Coffey is a member of the Congregational church, while the religious faith of
Mr. Coffey is that of the Catholic church. In politics he is a democrat and has served
as county commissioner, while for thirty years he has been a member of the school
board. His interest in the welfare of the community is manifest in many tangible
ways and his efforts have brought good results. At the same time he has carefully and
wisely conducted his business affairs and his unfaltering labor has been the broad
foundation upon which he has builded his present-day success.
WILBERT B. SPRINGER.
Wilbert B. Springer, an enterprising merchant of Timnath, was born March 6,
1888, in the town in which he still makes his home. He is a son of Richard C. and
Martha (Shea) Springer, who were natives of New Jersey. The father came to Colo-
rado in 1883 and settled in Larimer county, purchasing land in the vicinity of Timnath.
ffhis he improved, continuing its cultivation until 1914, when he retired from active
business life and removed to California, where he now makes his home, enjoying a well
earned rest. He was long regarded as one of the substantial citizens of Larimer
county and for nineteen years and nine months he held the position of postmaster.
He was likewise interested in a mill here and in various other ways contributed in sub-
stantial measure to the growth and development of the district. In 1904 he erected
a fine store building and also became interested in the business that was carried on in
the block which he had erected. In 1909 he and his son purchased the stock and the
latter has since conducted the business. Richard C. Springer was ever actuated by a
HISTORY OF COLORADO 519
spirit of progressiveness combined with indomitable energy and recognized and utilized
opportunities which others passed heedlessly by. His wife passed away September
Wilbert B. Springer was reared in Timnath, where he has spent his entire life.
At the age of eighteen years he entered the railway mall ser\ace, being thus employed
for two years, when in connection with his father he purchased the store which he
now conducts. He carries a large stock of goods and enjoys an extensive patronage.
His business methods will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny, and his energy
and determination have produced good results. In addition to a line of general
merchandise he also handles harness and farm machinery.
In June, 1909, Mr. Springer was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Keyes and
they are highly esteemed residents of the community, enjoying the hospitality of its
best homes. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Springer
also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of
America and the Masons, while his political allegiance is given to the republican party,
which finds in him a stalwart advocate.
John Lamb, living on section 7, township 7, range 67, in Weld county, seven miles
east of Fort Collins, was born in Ohio. January 2. 1859, a son of Owen and Alphronia
(Lamonion) Lamb, who were natives of Ireland and of Rochester, New York, respect-
ively. The father was a contractor who came to America in young manhood and set-
tled in Ohio, where he engaged in contracting and building, also operating a stone
quarry. After living for some time in Ohio he removed to Illinois, where he remained
for several years and then went to Iowa, settling at Atlantic, where his death occurred
in March, 1881. His wife passed away in June, 1882.
John Lamb was reared and educated in Ohio and remained with his parents until
he attained his majority, when he took up farming in Iowa on his own account. There
he cultivated a tract of rented land for three years and in 1883 he came to Colorado,
after which he engaged in mining in Boulder county for three years. He then bought
one hundred and sixty acres of land in Weld county — a wild tract upon which not a
furrow had been turned nor an improvement made. He at once began its development
and has since continued its cultivation, transforming it into productive fields and
rich pasturage land. He makes a specialty of feeding sheep, to which he has given his
attention for twenty years.
On the 4th of December, 1889, Mr. Lamb was married to Miss Amy Luella
Garber, a daughter of David H. and Elizabeth E. (Winder) Garber. the former born
in Pennsylvania, while the latter is a native of Iowa. Her father followed carpen-
tering and farming in Iowa and in Kansas and in 1888 removed to Colorado, settling in
Aspen, where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring May 22, 1889. His
widow survives. Mr. and Mrs. Lamb have become the parents of seven children:
John E., who was bom December 19, 1890, and is with the United States army in
France; Marcellus M., whose birth occurred March 11, 1892. and who also served his
country, being stationed at Fort Worth, Texas, and now is in Ault, Colorado, where he
is engaged with his brother in the harness business; Francis R.. who was bom May
27, 1893, and conducts a harness and vulcanizing business at Ault. Colorado; Hugh
W., who was born January 10, 1894, and is with the United States army in France;
Alphronia E., whose natal day was December 6, 1896; Mary A., born July 15, 1898;
and Sarah A., whose birth occurred on the 9th of July, 1900.
In his political views Mr. Lamb is a democrat, having supported the party since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise, and his religious faith is that of the
RICHARD I. TALBOT.
Richard I. Talbot, who is cultivating eighty acres of irrigated land in Adams
county and is very successfully carrying on his farm work, was born in Louisiana,
December 18, 1852, a son of James and Ellen Talbot, both of whom were natives of
London, England. Bidding adieu to friends and country, they sailed for America In the
year 1840 and first established their home upon a farm in Louisiana, where the father
520 HISTORY OF COLORADO
engaged in the live stock business for a number of years. In 1856, however, he re-
moved to Missouri and was afterward drowned in the Missouri river while out duck
hunting. The mother with her family subsequently removed to Colorado, where she
took up her abode in 1872, having driven across the country with team and wagon.
She settled in Adams county, becoming one of the pioneer women of that district, and
for many years she was an interested witness of the growth and progress of that region,
in which she made her home until called to her final rest in 1911. In the family were
six children, all of whom are yet living.
Richard I. Talbot was reared and educated in Missouri and was twenty years of
age when he came to Colorado, where he has since made his home. In 1879 he pur-
chased his present farm and through the intervening period has given his time, thought
and energy to its development and cultivation, adding many improvements to it in
the way of good buildings which furnish ample shelter for grain and stock. His
fields are well fenced and everything about the place is characterized by neatness and
order. The land is carefully irrigated, there being eighty acres under the ditch.
In 1887 Mr. Talbot was united in marriage to Miss OIlie Townsend, a native
of Kansas and a daughter of C. Perry and Maria Reed (Moore) Townsend. C. Perry
Townsend was a native of New York and with his parents removed to Illinois in his
boyhood. His wife, Maria Reed Moore, was born in Marion county, Ohio, in 1839,
and with her parents removed to Illinois when she was eleven years of age. In that
state Mr. and Mrs. Townsend were married and there the former took up farming,
going to Kansas about 1857 and arriving in Colorado in June, 1859. After a short
stay in Denver he proceeded to Central City, where he engaged in mining, but later
located on a ranch on the Platte river, in Arapahoe county, now Adams county,
where Mr. Townsend passed away in 1864. His widow subsequently married Hiram
Van Every. Mr. and Mrs. Talbot had four children: Leland S., at home; Mabel,
the wife of Clarence Burnett; Ada, the wife of Clifton Duckworth; and Mattie, who died
at the age of three years. The mother and children are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Mr. Talbot gives his political support to the republican party but
has never been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his time and efforts upon
his business affairs, which are wisely and carefully directed. He is a man of energy
and persistency of purpose who from pioneer times has been identified with farming
interests in the county, and his splendidly improved ranch property is the visible indi-
cation of a life of well directed energy and tlirift.
WILLARD L. FALES.
Willard L. Fales is prominently identified with business .and public interests of
Douglas county. He is honored and respected by all, not alone by reason of the success
which he has_ attained, but also owing to the straightforward business principles which
he has ever followed, nor has he allowed business to monopolize his time and attention.
On the contrary he has cooperated in nlany plans and measures for the public good
and during the war has served as county food administrator and chairman of the
Douglas county branch of the National Council of Defense. He is also active in Red
Mr. Fales was born in Walpole. Massachusetts, February 27, 1869, a son of Joel
and Olive (Lewis) Fales, both sides of the family being among the earliest settlers
of the old Bay state. He was educated in the schools of Milford, Massachusetts, and
at Harvard University. He has at diflerent times been engaged in civil and mechanical
engineering. In 1887 he became a resident of southern California, where he remained
for two years. In 1889 he spent several months in travel and study in Europe. In
1890 he came to Douglas county, Colorado, and in 1891 was married to Miss Linda I.
Lapham, daughter of Thomas Lapham, who came to Denver from Ireland in 1874 and
to Douglas county in 1S75. settling upon the ranch adjoining that now owned by Mr.
Fales. Immediately following their marriage they resided for several years in Los
Angeles county, California. They have three children: Helen D.. who is a graduate
of the University of Denver and is cow doing Red Cross .vork in the home service sec-
tion at Denver; Edith, who is a senior in the University of Denver; and Frank W.,
who is a student in the grades of the public schools.
While Mr. Fales at this writing spends most of his time in business at Castle Rock
and has for several winters spent some time in Denver, his home is and has been for
many years on his ranch on West Plum creek, about seven miles south of Sedalia.
Since February, 1917, he has occupied the presidency of the First National Bank of
WILLARD L. FALES
522 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Douglas county at Castle Rock, gradually coming to give less time to the labor and man-
agement of the ranch.
Mr. Fales and his family are communicants of the Episcopal church. Fra-
ternally he is a Knight Templar Mason and a Shriner. He is a member of the board
of trustees of the Rocky Mountain Harvard Club of Denver, ami a member of The
Colorado Society of The Sons of the American Revolution. His political support is
given to the republican party.
John Fraser, residing six miles east of Fort Collins, in Larimer county, was bom
in Scotland in June, 1S71, a son of David and Elizabeth (Walker) Fraser, who were
also natives of Scotland. The father followed farming in that country throughout his
entire life, there passing away December 22, 1915. His wife survived for about a
year, her death occurring in September, 1916.
John Fraser was reared and educated in his native country, but his opportunities
in the latter direction were somewhat limited, as he began earning his own living
when a youth of nine years. He worked as a farm hand there until 1892, when he
determined to try his fortune in the new world and came torthe United States, settling
at Fort Collins in Larimer county, Colorado. He soon afterward secured employment
as a farm hand and spent three years in that way but during the period carefully
saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him sufficient capital
to enable him to purchase land. He then bought twenty-five acres north of the town
and also conducted the Bennett & Hood ranch of two hundred acres for seven years.
Later he made investment in his present place of sixty-five acres and at once set
about its further development and improvement. He has since continued its cultiva-
tion with good results and now has a finely improved place. He makes a business of
feeding sheep and lambs and also of raising Belgian horses and his labors are being
attended with substantial success.
On the 20th of September, 1904', Mr. Fraser was united in marriage to Miss Jennie
Taggart, a daughter of Peter and Catherine (Smith) Taggert. who were natives of
Scotland, where Mrs. Fraser was born on the 7th of August, 1873. Her father was a
shoemaker by trade and always followed that pursuit in his native country. He passed
away May 11, 1913, but the mother is still living in Scotland at the age of seventy-one
Fraternally Mr. Fraser is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and his political belief
that of the republican party. He is highly esteemed as a man of genuine worth, merit-
ing the respect and confidence of his fellowmen, and he has never had occasion to regret
his determination to come to the new world, for in conditions in this country he found
the opportunities which he sought and through their utilization has made steady
advancement in a business way.
JOHN S. KNAPP.
John S. Knapp is the owner of a beautiful country home standing in the midst of
seven acres of ground and there he is living practically retired but in former years
was closely and actively associated with agricultural interests in Colorado. His place
is situated near Brighton and with the development and upbuilding of that section of
the state he has been closely associated for many years. A native of Monroe county,
New York, Mr. Knapp was born August 14. 1853, a son of Jonas and Mary (Slgler)
Knapp. He acquired a district school education and then entered the State Normal
School at Brockport. New York, where he studied for three terms. He afterward
came to Colorado in 1882 and was associated with his uncle. Mr. Sigler. in the manage-
ment of the latter's ranch. He was also sent to this state in the interests of his grand-
father, James D. Sigler, and disposed of his landed possessions for him. Upon the
death of the uncle Mr. Knapp purchased the ranch. He conducted the property for a
considerable period and transformed it into one of the valuable ranches of the state
but sold it in 1910 and has since lived retired, enjoying a rest which he has truly
earned and richly deserves. After disposing of his farm he purchased a most attractive
country home standing in the midst of seven acres of land near Brighton and there
HISTORY OF COLORADO 523
he developed a fine garden. This keeps his time occupied to a considerable extent, for
Indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to his nature. He largely tpends the winter
months in California. He is the president of the Colorado Agricultural Ditch Com-
pany, a position which he has occupied for years, and he has thus kept in close touch
with the irrigation interests of his community. There is no question concerning irri-
gation with which he is not thoroughly familiar and along that line as well as in gen-
eral farming he has always stood for progress and advancement.
On the 23d of November, 1S86, Mr. Knapp was united in marriage to Miss Orrie
Morris, a daughter of Richard and Rebecca Morris, whose people were pioneer settlers
of Colorado. Mr. Knapp is a republican in his political views. For fifteen years he
has served as a member of the school board and has ever been deeply and intensely
interested in the cause of public education. He has ever attempted to maintain the
highest standards in relation to the schools of his district and his work in this con-
nection has been beneficial. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church and he
has ever loyally adhered to its teachings. He is a man of genuine personal worth
whom to know is to respect and honor and he is everywhere spoken of in terms of warm
EDGAR TARBELL ENSIGN.
The law, banking, insurance and public service claimed the attention and energies
of Edgar Tarbell Ensign through a long and useful career covering almost seventy-
nine years, and his public service covered both military activity and the establish-
ment and development of national forestry interests in the west. Mr. Ensign was
born at Moriah, Essex county. New York, September 9, 1839, a son of Charles W. and
Harriet (Tarbell) Ensign, the latter a sister of Jonathan Tarbell, who was a lieuten-
ant-colonel of the Ninety-first New York Volunteer Infantry, and became a brigadier
general of United States Volunteers in the Civil war.
Edgar T. Ensign, after attending the district school and the village academy of
Moriah, New York, became a student in a private school for boys conducted by a Mr.
Durkee and his son at Saratoga Springs. New York. In the year 1856 he went to
Des Moines, Iowa, where he obtained employment in the banking house of A. J. Stearns
& Company, and three years after his removal to the middle west he was there joined
by his parents. He had resided in Iowa for only two years when in 1858 he was
appointed deputy state treasurer. In May, 1861, however, all business and personal
considerations were put aside that he might respond to the country's call for troops to
aid in the preservation of the Union. He joined the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry
and was promoted through various grades to the rank of captain. The date of his
enlistment was May 4, 1861. He was commissioned second lieutenant on the 1st of
June following and first lieutenant on the 1st of December of the same year, while on
the 22d of June, 1862, he received the captain's commission. On the 20th of October,
1863, he was commissioned major of the Ninth Regiment of Iowa Cavalry, Volunteers,
and was brevetted lieutenant-colonel and colonel of United States Volunteers. March
13. 1865. He resigned from the army on the 27th of October of the same year. His
long term of active service was distinguished by the most splendid military qualities.
Although wounded at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, he returned to his command and both
before and afterward led his men in many a gallant charge.
In 1866 Colonel Ensign took up the study of law and won his LL. B. and A. B.
degrees from the Iowa Law School, while subsequently he received the LL. B. degree
from the law department of Columbian College, which was later merged into the
George Washington University. With his admission to the bar in 1868. he entered
upon active practice in Des Moines and the same year was made district attorney.
He resided in Des Moines until 1874. when attracted by the opportunities of the west,
he came to Colorado Springs and opened a law office. Soon afterward he was appointed
commissioner of the United States circuit court and from 1S33 until 1893 he was
in public office, serving for six years as state forest commissioner and tor two years
as special agent of the United States general land office in the laying out of forest
reserves, afterward known as national forests. His work in forestry was especially
noteworthy and his public service in this connection gained for him warm commenda-
tion. In 1895 he was active in organizing the Assurance Savings & Loan Association,
of which he was president and manager until September, 1917. In the meantime he
had entered the field of banking, having become in 1902 one of the organizers of the
First National Bank of Colorado City and also of the National Bank Building Company.