524 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Elected to the presidency of the First National, he continued to serve in that position
for three years, largely shaping its policy and directing its activities during that early
It was while still a resident of Des Moines that Colonel Ensign was married on
the 17th of October, 1872, to Miss Lilla Butin, a daughter of Dwight L. and Charlotte
C. Butin, of Baldwinsville, New York. She survives her husband and remains a resident
of Colorado Springs, the Ensign home having been at No. 1415 North Nevada avenue
for more than thirty-five years. There were no spectacular phases in the life of
Colonel Ensign. It was ever a hard fought battle for progress, for advancement and
for right and he came off victor in the strife. Whatever he undertook, the integrity
of his purpose was never questioned and the Memoriam of the Military Order of the
Loyal Legion, to which he belonged, said: "The life career of Colonel Ensign as a
gentleman, a soldier and a friend is worthy of emulation by all." His demise occurred
on the 15th of February, 1918.
REV. AGATHO STRITTMATTER, O. S. B.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Rev. Agatho Strittmatter, pastor of the Sacred Heart church at Boulder, was born
in Carrolltown, Pennsylvania, on the 12th of July, 1873. His father, Andrew Stritt-
matter, was also a native of Carrolltown, born in 1829, and still resides there. He mar-
ried Catherine Zorn, who was likewise a native of Carrolltown and who passed away
In the public schools of his native city Agatho Strittmatter began his education
and afterward continued his studies at St. Vincent's archabbey in Latrobe, Pennsyl-
vania, where he was graduated with the class of 1899. For a year he was at St. Bene-
dict's College of Newark, New Jersey, as professor and assistant pastor and subse-
quently he taught for two years in St. Vincent's college at Latrob«. In September,
1902, he was transferred to Boulder, Colorado, in charge of the missions, and a year
later was transferred to Pueblo. Colorado, as founder and pastor of St. Leander's parish
and there continued for three years. In August, 1906, he was sent to Boulder as pastor
of Sacred Heart church. He was ordained to the priesthood at St. Vincent's archabbey
in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, on the 13th nf July, 1899, and has since devoted his time
and energies to the upbuilding of the Catholic church. He holds membership with the
Knights of Columbus.
J. H. SIMPSON.
The farming interests of Adams county find a worthy representative in J. H.
Simpson, who dates his residence in this state from 1879. He has therefore made his
home in Colorado for almost forty years and for twelve years of this period has lived
in Adams county, where he now owns and cultivates eighty acres of productive land.
He was born in Ohio on the 14th of December, 1860, a son of Henry and Loretta
(Ganhy) Simpson, both of whom were natives of the Buckeye state. Removing west-
ward to Illinois, they settled in McLean county in 1862 and there remained for about
twenty-three years. In 1885 they again started westward, making Lincoln, Nebraska,
their destination. The father died in that city but the mother survives and is now
living wih her son, J. H. Simpson, at the notable old age of ninety-seven years. Not-
withstanding her extreme age she is yet enjoying good health and has a remarkable
memory. By her marriage she became the mother of nine children, four of whom
J. H. Simpson spent his youthful days in Illinois, being but two years of age when
the family home was established in that state. There he pursued a public school
education and after reaching man's estate he began farming on his own account. In
1879 he came to Colorado, settling on a farm in Yuma county, where he continued to
reside for more than a quarter of a century. In 1906 he removed to Adams county,
where he has since made his home, and his property holdings now comprise eighty
acres of land, all under irrigation. His place is very attractive in appearance owing
to his careful cultivation of the fields and also owing to the many improvements which
he has put upon his land. He has erected fine buildings, including an attractive
residence, with good barns and outbuildings, furnishing ample shelter to grain and
REV. AGATHO STRITTMATTER, 0. S. B.
526 HISTORY OF COLORADO
stock. He conducts a dairy business in connection witli general farming and both
branclies are proving profitable.
In 1887 Mr. Simpson was married to Miss Anna McQueen, a native of Illinois,
and they became the parents of three children, of whom Olin died in 1909 and the
youngest in infancy. The second child is Blanche, the wife of C, E. Brachaire, now in
the navy yard in the state of Washington.
Mr. Simpson votes with the democratic party and keeps thoroughly informed
concerning the questions and issues of the day but has never been an aspirant for
public office, preferring to leave office holding to others. His thought, purpose and
energy have been concentrated upon his business affairs and his prosperity is the
direct result of his own labors. In 1899 he was called upon to mourn the loss of his
wife, who passed away leaving many friends. Mr. Simpson is widely and favorably
known in Adams county, enjoying the warm regard of those with whom business or
social relations have brought him in contact.
WILLIAM J. MURPHY.
William J. Murphy, who is engaged in general farming in Adams county, is one
of Colorado's native sons, his birth having occurred in Denver on the 14th of April.
1874. His parents were Cornelius and Margaret Murphy, both of whom have been
called to their final rest, and two of their seven children have also passed away.
It was in the year 1860 that the parents came to Colorado, casting in their lot with
the pioneer settlers of Denver when that city was little more than a western mining
village. They lived to witness much of its growth and development and to note the
many marvelous changes which occurred in the state as the years passed.
William J. Murphy spent his youthful days under the parental roof and the
public school system of Denver afforded him his chance for obtaining an education.
After his textbooks were put aside he turned his attention to farming and stock rais-
ing and has since carried on general agricultural pursuits. He is now the owner of
the old homestead of his father, who filed on the place in 1S65. It was the first farm
taken up on First creek. Mr. Murphy owns one hundred and sixty acres, all under
ditch, and is extensively engaged in raising beets and alfalfa. He has studied the most
modern processes of developing these crops and annually gathers a large yield. He
has added substantial improvements to his farm in the way of modern machinery and
good buildings for the shelter of grain and stock, and everything about the place
indicates his progressive spirit and determination.
In 1899 Mr. Murphy was married to Miss Agnes Kam, a native of Nebraska, and
they have become the parents of three children, Cornelius L., William J. and Catherine.
Mr Murphy and his family are communicants of the Catholic church, being identified
with the church at Brighton. In his political views Mr. Murphy is a democrat. While
he has never been an office seeker, he has served on the school board and is interested
in all that has to do with the development of the schools of the neighborhood. He bo-
longs to the Grange and eagerly avails himself of the opportunities offered by the order
to advance in knowledge concerning the best methods of developing farm property.
His entire life has been passed in Colorado and his career is typical of the spirit ot
western enterprise and progress. He has never had any false ideas of life but has ever
recognized the fact that industry is the basic element of success and by reason of
strenuous effort in carrying on his farm work he has met with a substantial measure of
prosperity which places him with the affluent farmers of Adams county.
ORAN A. FOLEY.
Oran A. Foley, a ranchman living in the vicinity of Brighton, dates his residence
in Colorado from 1894 and after spending a few weeks in Denver took up his abode
in Brighton and has since lived in Adams county. He was born in Union county, Illi-
nois, on the 5th of October, 1868, a son of Virgil M. and Emily (Anderson) Foley.
The father was a Civil war veteran, havmg gone to the front with the Eighty-first Illi-
nois Volunteer Infantry, with which he participated in a number of hotly contested
engagements, including the siege of Vicksburg, in which he was wounded. He par-
ticipated altogether in eleven open field fights. His father had to leave Kentucky and
removed to southern Illinois on account of his sympathy with the Union cause. He
HISTORY OF COLORADO 527
was a man strong in support of his honest convictions and did not hesitate to face death
in defense of the Union.
Oran A. Foley pursued his early education in district schools and later enjoyed the
benefit of a term's instruction in the Southern Illinois State Normal University at
Carbondale. He afterward returned to the farm, where he worlied with his father
for two years and then secured work on the Cotton Belt Railroad, spending about two
years in that connection. It was in 1894 that he made his way westward to Colorado
and after remaining in the capital for a few weeks he removed to Brighton, where he
entered the employ of E. A. Bromley, with whom he continued for sixteen years. He
next leased one hundred and sixty acres of land near the town and engaged in the
cultivation of that place until May, 1918. when he purchased eighty acres of land,
which he has since owned and cultivated. He now has a good farm and his possessions
are the visible evidence of his life of well directed energy and thrift.
Mr. Foley was married in Carbondale, Illinois, on the 6th of July, 1S91, to Miss
Rosa Ella Smith, a daughter of W. B. Smith. Mrs. Foley v/as born in Kansas and by
her marriage has become the mother of the following named: LeRoy M., who married
Helen Sheets and has one sou. Raymond; H. Raymond and Emmett A., who are serving
with the colors in France; Elmer; Blanche; Caroline; and Anna May. Mr. and Mrs.
Foley have also reared a nephew. Harvey E. Schwartz, whom they regard as a son and
who is likewise in France with the American army, fighting to oppose the military
spirit which would enslave the world and make the race subject to German despotism.
Mr. Foley may indeed be proud of the record of these three sons, who are rendering
splendid service to their country with the khaki clad boys "over there."
Fraternally Mr. Foley is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
with the Woodmen of the World and he gives his political allegiance to the democratic
party but has never been an aspirant for office. His thought and attention have been
concentrated upon his farming interests for the purpose of providing a comfortable
living for his family and he is now the owner of a good property in Adams county.
JOHN B. EVERHARD.
Farming and live stock activities in Larimer county were greatly stimulated
through the activities of John B. Everhard. who for many years devoted his attention
to agricultural pursuits in the vicinity of Berthoud, Colorado, thereby not only acquir-
ing an individual fortune but contributing toward the prosperity of his county and
community. A native of Holt county, Missouri, he was born December 24, 1861. a son
of John W. and Mary E. (Ish) Everhard, the former a native of Ohio and the latter
of Missouri, in which state they were married. John V,'. Everhard participated in the
Civil war on the Confederate side, valiantly serving for four years, being during
most of that time under the command of General Price. After the conflict was ended
he took up his home in Marshall, Missouri, where he remained for ten years, but in
1875 removed to Colorado, making Larimer county his place of abode, and here he
engaged in the cattle business, being quite successful along that line. To Mr. and
Mrs. John W. Everhard were born two children but our subject is the only ona now
living. Both parents have now passed away.
John B. Everhard was reared under the parental roof, receiving part of his
education in Missouri and part in Colorado, to which state he came with his parents
in 1875. After laying aside his textbooks he engaged in the cattle and sheep business,
following in his father's footsteps, and also took up agricultural work of a general
character, very successfully following this line until 1917, when he sold his live stock
interests but retained the ownership of his farms. He has always followed progressive
methods and made many improvements upon his land, also instituting up-to-date equip-
ment, so that his property is now very valuable. He owns eight hundred and eighty
acres of excellent land, two hundred and forty acres of which are under ditch, the
balance being devoted to wheat. Mr. Everhard was also one of the organizers of the
First National Bank at Berthoud, of which he is serving as vice president, giving of
his experience and business ability to the benefit of the management of the bank by
his attendance at the directors' meetings. Moreover, he is a stockholder and secretary
of the Boulder and Larimer County Ditch & Reservoir Company, having always been
a strong advocate of irrigation.
Mr. Everhard now makes his home in Berthoud, in' which city he has many
friends, all of whom hold him in high regard because they esteem in him those qualities
which have made possible his success. By industry and perseverance he has acquired
528 HISTORY OF COLORADO
a sizable fortune and to him is due the greater credit because he started out in life
empty-handed. In his political affiliations he is a democrat but has never been desir-
ous of holding public office although he has served on the local school board, the cause
of education finding in him an ardent champion. In fact he is much interested in
all measures undertaken for the general welfare and is ever ready to give of his
time and means in order to promote enterprises v^hich he believes of value to his
community, county and state.
Stanislaw Nowacki is the owner of an excellent tract of land comprising one
hundred and sixty acres near Brighton, in Adams county, and was successfully engaged
in farming and stock raising for a number of years but is now largely living retired,
leaving the active work of the fields to his son Michael. His birth occurred in Poland
on the 26th of November, 1864, his parents being John and Mary Nowacki, who are
also natives of that country and still reside there. They have six children, five of whom
are now in America, while one remains in Poland.
Stanislaw Nowacki was reared and educated in his native country and there spent
the first twenty-six years of his life. In 1890 he crossed the briny deep to the new
world and after residing in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for five years returned to Poland,
where he remained for about nine months. On the expiration of that period he again
made the voyage to the United States, settling in Colorado in 1896, and in this state
he has resided continuously to the present time. He worked as a common laborer for
a number of years and by dint of untiring industry and careful economy acquired the
capital which in 1908 enabled him to purchase his present farm of one hundred and
sixty acres in Adams county. The land is all under the ditch and is now very valuable,
having been brought under a high state of cultivation and improvement. Mr. Nowacki
successfully carried on general farming and stock raising for a number of years but
has now practically retired, his son Michael performing the active labor Incident to the
operation of the property.
In 1889 Mr. Nowacki was united in marriage to Miss Helen Marion Myers, a native
of Poland, by whom he has five children, as follows: Michael, who operates his father's
farm and who is married and has a son, Michael, Jr.; Joseph, who is in the United
States army; Sadie, the wife of Victor Karzia; and Frank and Stanley, both at home.
Politically Mr. Nowacki is a stalwart democrat, believing firmly in the principles
of that party. He has appreciated and wisely utilized the opportunities offered in the
United States and is a self-made man whose prosperity is attributable entirely to his
own efforts. His genuine personal worth is recognized by all with whom he comes in
contact, so that the number of his friends has constantly grown as the circle of his
acquaintance has broadened.
HENRY CLEMENT RIEDY.
An excellent farm property of one hundred and forty-two acres pays tribute to the
care and labor bestowed upon it by the owner, Henry Clement Riedy, who is one of the
substantial citizens that Ohio has furnished to Adams county, for his home is near
Eastlake. He was born in Erie county, Ohio, November 23, 1865, and is a son of
John and Catherine (Goodman) Riedy. The father was a stone mason by trade and
was married in Sandusky, Ohio, where he reared his family of nine children, of whom
Henry C. was the fifth in ordar of birth.
The public school system of Sandusky and of Erie county afforded Henry C. Riedy
his educational opportunities. He pursued his studies to the age of fourteen years,
after which he worked on farms to the age of tweniy-four. Thinking that he might
have better opportunities in the west, he then made his way to Colorado, where he has
resided since December 1, 1SS9. For a brief period he was employed by the Denver
Union Water Company and then purchased the northwest quarter of section 6, township
2, range 67, Adams county, since which time he has engaged in farming thereon. That
he is actuated by a progressive spirit is indicated in the attractive appearance of his
place, which is improved with fine buildings, with well kept fences and every accessory
of the model farm of the twentieth century. He worked persistently and energetically
530 HISTORY OF COLORADO
in developing his place and his success is well merited. He is also vice president of the
New Union Ditch Company.
On the 17th of November, 1896, Mr. Riedy was married to Miss Mary Moller, a
daughter of Detlef Moller. Mrs. Riedy was born in Arapahoe county, her people having
crossed the plains and cast in their lot with the early pioneer settlers of Colorado. To
Mr. and Mrs. Riedy have been bom three sons: Ralph H., Howard J. and Chauncey R.
In his political views Mr. Riedy is a democrat and, while not an office seeker, he
has served as secretary of the school board. His religious faith is that of the Catholic
church. He and his wife are widely and favorably known in the locality in which they
make their home, their circle of friends being almost co-extensive with the circle of
Frederick Bramming, who has been actively identified with general agricultural
pursuits in Adams county during the past fourteen years, is now the owner of an excel-
lent farm of eighty-six acres situated two miles east of Eastlake. His birth occurred
in Denmark on the 16th of October, 1884, his parents being Christian and Margaret
(Vind) Bramming, who spent their entire lives in that country. They reared a family
of five children, all of whom survive and all of whom are yet residents of Denmark with
the exception of our subject.
Frederick Bramming obtained his education in the land of his nativity and there
spent the first twenty years of his life. In March, 1904, desiring to take advantage of the
opportunities offered in the new world, he crossed the Atlantic to the Unied States and
made his way across the country to Adams county, Colorado, where he has remained
continuously since. He at once secured employment as a farm hand and by dint of
untiring industry and close economy acquired the means that enabled him to purchase
the property whereon he now resides. It lies two miles east of Eastlake and is a rich
and productive tract of eighty-six acres, all of the land being under the ditch. In addi-
tion to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he also devotes consider-
able attention to stock raising and in both branches of his business has won a well
merited measure of success.
In 1912 Mr. Bramming was united in marriage to Miss Maud Sheridan, a native of
Colorado, by whom he has two sons, John F. and Henry. He gives his political allegiance
to the republican party, while his religious faith is indicated by his attendance at the
Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. and Mrs. Bramming are a popular young couple and
well and favorably known throughout the community in which they make their home.
Mr. Bramming has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek his fortune
on this side of the Atlantic, for here he has found the opportunities which he sought
and in their wise utilization has won a gratifying degree of prosperity.
WILLIAM H. CLARK.
A splendidly improved farm property is that ovimed by William H. Clark, whose
possessions comprise one hundred and sixty acres of well irrigated and carefully
cultivated land in Adams county. He is devoting his time and energies to general
farming and stock raising and his persistency of purpose and indefatigable efforts are
bringing excellent results. Mr. Clark is a native of Kansas. He was born on the 2d
of April, 1879, a son of J. M. and Anna (Good) Clark, who were natives of Indiana
but were married in Kansas, to which state they removed in the year 1867. They began
their domestic life upon a farm in Kansas and are still living there. They became the
parents of five children and the family circle yet remains unbroken by the hand of
William H. Clark was reared and educated in his native state, mastering the
branches of learning taught in the district schools and afterward attending high
school, so that he thus became well qualified for life's practical and responsible duties.
The year 1904 witnessed his arrival in Colorado and for eight years he was a
resident of Denver, being there engaged in the grocery business with good success.
In 1912, however, he disposed of his store and turned his attention to agricultural
pursuits, removing to a farm in Adams county whereon he has since resided. He
now cultivates one hundred and sixty acres of land, all under ditch, and has an
HISTORY OF COLORADO 531
excellent farm property. He has added many Improvements to the place and uses the
most modern machinery to facilitate the work of the fields and care for the crops. He
raises the various cereals best adapted to climatic conditions here and he is also
successfully engaged in stock raising.
In 1901 Mr. Clark was married to Miss Nettie Wasson, a native of Kansas and a
daughter of William and Maggie (Ransom) Wasson. Two children have been born to
this marriage: Charles C, who is now a high school pupil: and Margaret L. Mr.
Clark and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, to the
support of which they contribute liberally and in the work of which they take an
active and helpful part. Mr. Clark is a republican in his political views, having
ever been a stalwart champion of the principles of that party. He is now serving
as president of the school board and the cause of education finds in him a warm
Hugh Blundell. who throughout his entire life has been identified with farming inter-
ests in Colorado and is now the owner of an excellent ranch near Brighton, was born
in this state on the 8th of October, 18S0, a son of William and Mary (Donaldson)
Brundell, both of whom were natives of Wisconsin. They there resided until 1861, when
they crossed the plains and were identified with farming interests on the Platte river
until 1880, when the father homesteaded eighty acres of land near what is now the
town of Brighton. He took up his abode upon that place and there carried on general
farming until his death, which occurred in 1911. He brought his land under a high state
of cultivation, energetically and persistently carrying on the work of the fields until
his labors brought results which were most gratifying, his farm becoming one of the
attractive features of the neighborhood. His widow survived him for several years,
passing away in 1917.
Hugh Blundell was reared under the parental roof and pursued his education in
District School No. 10 of Adams county. Through vacation periods he worked with
his father in the fields and after his textbooks were put aside he concentrated his efforts
and attention upon further farm work and continued to assist his father until the
latter's death. Since that time he has had charge of the work of the old homestead and