is regarded as one of the progressive agriculturists of the neighborhood. He is wide-
awake to everything that will prove of interest and benefit in the operation of his farm
and his labors are productive of good results.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Blundell is one of the Woodmen of the World and
politically he is a republican but not an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his
efforts and attention upon his business interests.
ALBERT WILLIAM LANE.
Albert William Lane, attorney at law, is also the president of the Colorado Business
College at Boulder, an institution which is contributing to the reputation of this city
as a great center of learning. He holds to the highest standards in the conduct of the
school and the methods of instruction and his work is fruitful of splendid results.
Mr. Lane comes to Colorado from Ohio, his birth having occurred in Sandusky, that
state in 1878. He is a son of Charles W. Lane, who was born in Tonawanda. New York,
and who was married in Columbus. Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Donley, a native of that
state. The father died in the year 1879, while the mother survived until 1883. At the
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
time of the Civil war he responded to the president's call for troops to aid in crushing
out rebellion in the south, enlisting for three years as a member of Company D, First
Michigan Infantry, on the 3d of September, 1861. He served until November 28, 1862,
when he was mustered out on account of physical disability.
Between the ages of five and twelve years Albert William Lane, because of his
mother's death, lived with his maternal grandmother in Columbus, Ohio, and attended
school there. He then went to live with his greatuncle at Cardington, Ohio, where he
remained for six years, and later he became a resident of Mount Vernon, Ohio, where
he worked his way through the Mount Vernon Academy, a preparatory school. Ambitious
to secure an education, he made every effort to accomplish that end. On leaving Mount
Vernon in 1896 he took up his abode in Battle Creek, Michigan, enrolling as a student
532 HISTORY OF COLORADO
in the Battle Creek College, where he pursued special courses preparing him for the
study of law, which he began in the office of the Hon. Jesse Arthur, who directed his
reading for four years. On account of pulmonary trouble developing he then left the
middle west and removed to Colorado, with Boulder as his destination. Here he has
since remained. For three years, beginning in 1903, he conducted The Place Sanitarium
in Boulder in connection with several partners, being secretary and treasurer of the
company. He then became interested in irrigation projects on the Grand river in Colo-
rado and was so engaged from 1909 until 1911, when he established the Colorado Busi-
ness College, and in 1912 the Boulder Business College was consolidated with the new
institution, so that the Colorado Business College is today the sole occupant of the field.
The college is accredited by the National Association of Accredited Commercial Schools.
The object of the college is to assist worthy and ambitious young men and women who
are not afraid of earnest study and hard work to prepare for positions of trust and
responsibility in the business world, and the school has adopted the motto — "Want to
Learn." Its location is most favorable, its equipment thoroughly up-to-date and its
methods thoroughly modern. Every effort is put forth to create in the pupil a desire
to do the best possible work. The college is located in the heart of Boulder, on Pearl
street, opposite the court house, and is especially equipped for training along the line of
instruction given. It is steam heated, well ventilated and has indirect electric lighting,
while everything is arranged for the pupil's comfort and instruction. Since its estab-
lishment the college has enjoyed a liberal patronage and the business is steadily growing.
On the 12th of June, 1900, in Battle Creek, Michigan, Mr. Lane was united in mar-
riage to Miss Edith M. Colcord, a daughter of I. G. Colcord, and to them have been born
the following named: Charlotte Maurine, Maxwell^, Everett. Albert William, Jr., and
In politics Mr. Lane maintains an independent course, voting according to the dic-
tates of his judgment for the men whom he thinks best qualified for public office. He
belongs to the Lions Club, a national organization, and he is a very prominent and
active member in the Seventh Day Adventist church. His life is ever honorable and
upright and he enjoys the well merited reputation of being, as someone said of him, "a
good, clean and highly respected citizen." Mr. Lane was graduated from the law depart-
ment of the University of Colorado in 1917 and was admitted to practice in
of that year, since which time he has been actively engaged in this profession.
J. BRUCE SMITH.
A valuable farm property of three hundred -md twenty acres is owned by J. Bruce
Smith, his place being in the vicinity of Eastlake and not far distant from Brighton.
Its excellent appearance is the result of his intelligently directed efforts and its improve-
ments stand as a monument to his enterprise. Mr. Smith is a native of Pennsylvania,
his birth having occurred in Wilkes-Barre on the 11th of August, 1869, his parents
being John E. and Jane (Johnson) Smith, the former a farmer by occupation.
The son was educated in the district schools of the Keystone state and worked with
his father until 1890, when, at the age of twenty years, he left home, bidding adieu to
friends in the east, and made his way to Colorado. For a year he lived on a ranch
two miles west of Brighton and then removed to the Patron district, where he leased
three hundred and twenty acres from hij grandfather. He engaged in the cultivation
and development of this place for fifteen years before purchasing it in 1907. His atten-
tion is still given to its further improvement and it is a splendid indication of his life
of well directed energy and thrift. It was in a very crude state when he located thereon.
He improved the house and barns and has since built now barns, while recently he has
completed a most attractive home, containing eight rooms with bath and full basement
underneath. He has dug wells, planted trees and has upon his place all modern equip-
ment, most of which he has added since he purcha^ied the property. In his farm
methods he is most progressive and he now has ninety acres planted to alfalfa, while
the remainder of his three hundred and twenty acre ranch is devoted to the cultiva-
tion of wheat, oats and cabbage. He has been a very successful business man, owing
to his close application, his sound judgment and keen sagacity. Aside from his exten-
sive farming interests he is now the president of the Eastlake State Bank, is a director
of the Farmers Highline Reservoir Ditch & Canal Company and president of the Union
Ditch Company. He has closely studied the question of irrigation and has done much
for the development of this section of the state through the promotion of irrigation
J. BRUCE SMITH
534 HISTORY OF COLORADO
On the 31st of January, 1900, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Katharine Barnett, a
daughter of Lemuel and Jennie Barnett, of Denver. They have three children, Bruce
Tilden, Jane and John W. Such in brief is the life history of Mr. Smith, who is now
classed with the representative ranchmen and agriculturists in the vicinity of Brighton.
His plans have always been well defined and carefully executed and his enterprise
and energy have brought him to a point of success that is most enviable.
JOSEPH M. DALY.
Joseph M. Daly, of Pueblo, has for almost two decades been a resident of Colorado
and is now filling the office of chief of police of Pueblo. Missouri numbers him among
her native sons, his birth having occurred at Independence, in Jackson county. His
parents were Timothy and Mary (Mahoney) Daly, who on leaving Missouri went with
their family to Kansas, where the father passed away and the mother still resides.
Joseph M. Daly was the eldest in their family of eleven children and in the acquire-
ment of his education attended the public schools of Independence and of Kansas City,
passing through consecutive grades to the high school. After putting aside his text-
books in that connection he pursued a course in the Southwestern Optical College of
Kansas City, from which in due course of time he was graduated. He is now registered
as an optician in Colorado and since 1899 has made his home in Pueblo, which numbers
him among its valued and representative men. He served as a member of the staff of
Dr. Thomas when the latter was in charge of the Colorado State Hospital and he prac-
ticed his profession until called to public office in his appointment on the 20th of Janu-
ary, 1913, to the position of chief of police by Mayor T. D. Donnelly. He is now acceptably
serving in that capacity and is doing everything in his power to promote law and order
In Pueblo. All who know him recognize his devotion to duty in this connection.
On the 12th of September, 190.0, Mr. Daly was married to Miss Ethel Beem. His
religious faith is that of the Catholic church and he is identified with the Knights of
Columbus. Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
He has always given his political support to the democratic party and aside from holding
the office of chief of police of Pueblo he has served as postmaster in Kansas, filling the
office for four years under Grover Cleveland. He is well liked in Pueblo and is making
an efficient chief of police, all who know him speaking of him in terms of warm regard,
save those who do not hold themselves amenable to law, and to them his name brings
Richard Moxley. engaged in farming in Broomfield. homesteaded one hundred and
sixty acres in pioneer times when tor miles around there was not another settler in
the district. His place is located on the main road between Broomfield and Eastlake
and its excellent appearance indicates the progressive methods and enterprise which
dominate him in all that he undertakes. He dates his residence in Colorado from 1873
and secured his homestead in 1877.
Mr. Moxley is of English birth. He was born in the vicinity of Southampton
in February, 1854, a son of William and Elizabeth (House) Moxley. The father was
foreman in a cooper shop of his native country. The parents died during the early
boyhood of their son Richard, who was then taken by friends and sent to Ireland.
He was educated in the national schools of that country, which he attended until he
reached the age of fourteen years, when he started out to provide for his own sup-
port, entering upon an apprenticeship to the trade of brass molding. He was thHS
engaged for five years and on the expiration of that period, in which he had gained
a comprehensive knowledge of the business, he decided to try his fortune in the
United States and sailed for America. He spent a brief period in Boston and Phila-
delphia and in August. 1873. attracted by the opportunities of the growing west, came
to the territory of Colorado three years before the admission of the state into the
Union. He engaged in teaming in Denver for four years, or until 1877, and then
decided to turn his attention to agricultural pursuits. Accordingly he homesteaded
one hundred and sixty acres of land near Broomfield and has since given his attention
to farming, his fields being largely devoted to the raising of wheat and alfalfa.
Pioneer conditions met him at every turn during the early days of his residence here.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 535
Tlie nearest neighbors were miles away and one could ride for almost an unlimited
distance over the plains without coming to a fence or a house to impede progress.
Mr. Moxley bravely faced the hardships and conditions of pioneer life and in the
course of years his labors have brought to him well deserved success.
On the 27th of October. 1905, Mr. Moxley was united in marriage to Miss Edith
Brown, who was born in Colorado and was left an orphan in her infancy. They now
have one son, Percy. Mr. and Mrs. Moxley are widely and favorably known in Broom-
field and the surrounding country. Theirs is an attractive home, the farm being
highly cultivated and splendidly improved, for throughout the years of his residence
here Mr. Moxley has followed progressive methods and has done much to advance the
agricultural interests of this section of the state.
MRS. ANNA THOMAS.
Mrs. Anna Thomas is the owner of an excellent farm property in Boulder county,
where she is widely and favorably Ivnown. She is the widow of William J. Thomas and
a daughter of Adolph Waneka. She was born in Connecticut and came to Colorado with
her parents when but seven years of age. In this state therefore her girlhood days
were largely passed and after reaching young womanhood she was married in 1875 to
William J. Thomas, a native of Wisconsin, who came to Colorado in 1872. Following
his marriage Mr. Thomas engaged in mining for several years but afterward turned
his attention to agricultural pursuits and purchased the farm whereon his widow now
resides, comprising three hundred and nineteen acres of excellent land, which is all
under the ditch and splendidly improved. As the years passed Mr. Thomas carefully
developed his place, making it one of the excellent farm properties of the district. He
brought his fields under a high state of cultivation, divided his land by well kept fences
and used the latest machinery to facilitate the work of the fields.
To Mr. and Mrs. Thomas were born nine children: Florence, who has passed away;
Estelle, the wife of J. H. Lipsey. of Boulder county; Emma; the wife of Elmer Missick,
of Seattle, Washington; Carrie, the wife of Frank Rose, of Denver; Jennie, the wife of
A. Peters, of Denver; Pearl, deceased; William J.; Richard; and Dee D. The two last
named are still at home and operate the farm. They carry on general agricultural pur-
suits and stock raising and manifest excellent business ability in the control of the place.
The death of the husband and father occurred in 1897 and was a matter of deep
regret not only to his immediate family but to many friends as well, for he was highly
esteemed in the community where he made his home. Mrs. Thomas was married again
to Frank Greenlee, a rancher of Boulder county and to them were born two children,
Delia and Mildred, residing at home. Mrs. Thomas and her family are most widely
and favorably known in Boulder county, where she has lived from early pioneer
times. She has been a witness of almost the entire growth and development of this
section of the state and her memory forms a connecting link between the primitive
past with its hardships and the progressive present with all of its opportunities.
JAMES P. McINROY.
James P. Mclnroy, who is serving as county commissioner of Douglas county and
is numbered among its wide-awake and progressive ranchmen, was born near Castle
Rock on the ISth of December, 1875, his birthplace being the old homestead of his
father, Patrick Mclnroy, who was born in Scotland and became one of the pioneer
settlers of Colorado. Arriving in this state in an early day, he homesteaded and as
the years passed on acquired large landed interests. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Amelia Curtis, was born in Australia.
James P. Mclnroy acquired a common school education and when a lad of fifteen
years started out in the business world on his own account, becoming a cow puncher
and ranch hand. He was thus employed for a number of years and ultimately began
ranching Independently. He is today the owner of an excellent stock ranch of nine
hundred and sixty acres, on which he raises good crops of alfalfa, corn, grain and
hay. He also has first-class buildings upon his place, all of which were erected by
him. The equipment of the farm is thoroughly modern and includes water works
and an electric light plant, together with the latest improved machinery to facilitate
the work of planting and harvesting his crops. House and barns have most modem
536 HISTORY OF COLORADO
equipment and the ranch is one of the most desirable properties of this character
On the 28th of March, 1897, Mr. Mclnroy was united in marriage to Miss EfEe
McDowell, who was born in Jefferson county, Kansas, a daughter of Vincent and Rhoda
(Donegan) McDowell. Her father came to Colorado in 1859 and was engaged in
freighting for a number of years, after which he returned to Iowa. He again came
to Colorado in 1879 and homesteaded in Spring Valley of Douglas county, where he
acquired large landed holdings. To Mr. and Mrs. Mclnroy have been born sev6n chil-
dren. Harold V., a graduate of the Colorado School of Agriculture at Fort Collins,
enlisted in the Marines, August 1, 1918, and is now in the inspection office at Wash-
ington, D. C. Alice A., also a high school graduate, is teaching in a country school
near her home. Frank H. is a senior in the high school, while his brother, James P.. is
a junior student. The others of the family are Stewart R., Violet M. and EfEe E.
In his political views Mr. Mclnroy has always been a stalwart democrat. He
served for three terms of two years each in the office of assessor of Douglas county
and is now serving for the first term as a county commissioner, making a creditable
record in this position. He has ever been loyal and true to every trust reposed in.
him and his public service has been highly satisfactory to his constituents. He is
identified with many clubs and societies of varied character. He belongs to the Sons
of Colorado, is a member of Castle Rock Lodge. No. 142, I. O. 0. F., and was honored
with the presidency of the State Dairy Association from 1912 until 1916 — a fact indica-
tive of the prominent position which he occupies among the dairymen of the state.
He is also an honorary member of the National Tax Association of New York city,
having been recommended for membership by the Colorado Tax Commission in 1912
in recognition of the distinguished work done by him as assessor of Douglas county.
He and his family are all members of the Episcopal church and are people of the
highest respectability and worth, enjoying the warm regard of all with whom they
have been brought in contact. The life record of Mr. Mclnroy illustrates what can be
accomplished by individual effort. He has never allowed obstacles or difficulties to
bar his path but has overcome these by persistency of purpose, and a creditable ambi-
tion has prompted him continuously to take a forward step until now he occupies a
place in the front rank of the ranchmen of Douglas county.
K. G. LAMBERTSON.
K. G. Lambertson, who is engaged in farming near Eastlake, Adams county, was
born in Denmark on the 2d of March. 1868, and remained in that country until fifteen
years of age. It was in 1884 that he bade adieu to friends and native land and
sailed for the new world, for the reports which he had heard concerning the oppor-
tunities in America led him to the determination to try his fortune on this side of the
Atlantic. He did not tarry in the east but crossed the continent, arriving in Golden,
Colorado, in March, 1884. There he secured employment as a farm hand, working
in that way for a number of years. He was ambitious, however, to engage in business
on his own account and at length rented a farm, which he continued to cultivate for
several years. During that period he carefully saved his earnings until his industry and
economy had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to purchase land and he
now owns two hundred and forty-eight acres of fine farm land which Is highly im-
proved. He has also been a successful business man in other connections. He became
one of the organizers of the Eastlake State Bank and for some time was its presi-
dent, contributing in substantial measure to its success.
In 1894 Mr. Lambertson was united in marriage to Miss Frances Crawford, who
was born in Ohio, a daughter of King and Elizabeth (Leeper) Crawford, both of
whom were natives of Ireland, whence they came to America in thp '60s. establishing
their home in Marion county of the Buckeye state. After some years they removed
to Missouri, where they remained until 1892 and then came to Colorado, settling
in Adams county, where they continued to reside until called to their final rest. They
were the parents of five children, all of whom are yet living. Prior to her marriage
Mrs. Lambertson, having been liberally educated, was for one year a successful
school teacher. To Mr. and Mrs. Lambertson have been born three children: Harry
Arthur, Lester and K. G., Jr. In the year 1910 Mr. and Mrs. Lambertson took a trip
to Denmark, where he renewed the acquaintances of his boyhood and also visited many
interesting points in that land and in other European countries. Mr. Lambertson has
made three European trips. He has two brothers and one sister now residing in
K. G. LAMBERTSON
538 HISTORY OF COLORADO
America: Christian Lambertson, of California; Nels M., of Rawlins, Wyoming; and
Mrs. Robert Nellson, of Denver.
Mr. Lambertson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and he gives
his political allegiance to the republican party but has never sougbt or desired office.
He has concentrated bis time and attention upon his business affairs with good
results and as the years have passed he has made for himself a creditable position in
the ranks of representative agriculturists of Adams county.
HARVEY I. TAYLOR.
Harvey I. Taylor, who is extensively engaged in farming not far from Peyton,
was born at Table Rock in El Paso county, Colorado. May 12, 1886, a son of Frank E.
and Sarah (Martin) Taylor. The father removed to this state from Missouri in
1876 and homesteaded land. In 1888 he removed to Peyton, where he preempted one
hundred and sixty acres and secured a timber claim of equal amount. He continued
to add to his holdings by purchase from time to time until he was the owner of six
hundred and forty acres of very fertile land, well improved, that constitutes the old
Harvey I. Taylor was reared under the parental roof and his educational oppor-
tunities were those afforded by the public schools. He early became familiar with the
best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops in his locality and he is now
the owner of five hundred acrts of land adjoining the old home place. He works
both ranches and is one of the most progressive agriculturists of the district. He keeps
thirty milk cows and fattens more than one hundred head of cattle each year and
also engages extensively in raising hogs. He is a progressive agriculturist and stock
raiser and he has wrought a marked transformation in the appearance of his place
by reason of the many improvements which he has put upon it. In the year 1918
ne erected an attractive new residence and everything about the place is indicative
of the care and supervision of a progressive owner.
In 1914 Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Audlea M. Duncan, a graduate
of the Normal School at Normal, Illinois, and for several years prior to her marriage
a successful teacher. She has become the" mother of one child, Maida, who was born
October 7, 1917. Mrs. Taylor is a member of the Church of the Latter-Day Saints. In
politics Mr. Taylor is independent and fraternally he is connected with the Modern
Woodmen of America. He has traveled extensively over the United States and Canada,
gaining that broad experience and culture which only travel can bring.
WILLIAM HENRY SMITH.
William Henry Smith is a leading cattle man of Fremont county and one of the
most prominent operating in that business in the state. He makes his home at Canon
City, where he was born on the 14th of January, 1870, his parents being George P. and
Elizabeth (Pillmore) Smith. His education was acquired in the schools of Fremont
county, where he was reared, being the youngest child in his father's household. His
birth occurred a few months after the parents reached Colorado. In 1880 his elder
brother, George Smith, passed away and a few weeks later the father was accidentally
shot through the foot. William H. Smith, then a boy of ten years, turned his atten-
tion to the cattle business at that period. The family fortunes were at a low ebb and
the boy lost his first milch cows from cattle fever. He then engaged in peddling vege-
tables. The course which he pursued was a notable one for a boy of his years. He
seemed to possess the judgment, industry and determination of one of twice or thrice