fellow townsmen sent him as their representative to the state legislature, where he
took a most active part in supporting those measures which he believed would be of
benefit to the commonwealth. He was particularly earnest in his advocacy of legisla-
tion having to do with the cattle industry in the state. In 1879 he became county
commissioner of Arapahoe county and served most capably in that position for three
years. He was familiar with every phase of pioneer life and experiences and in 1864
became captain of a company that was organized to protect life and property from
the raids of the Indians. This company was called into active service in 1868 to
suppress the Utes and Cheyennes, who had been most troublesome. At all times Mr.
Lilley took a most active and helpful part in promoting every movement or project for
the benefit and welfare of community, commonwealth and country. He was a pro-
gressive citizen, highly honored because of his sterling personal worth, and when
death called him in April, 1909, his loss was deeply felt by many friends as well aa
by his immediate family.
It was in 1855 that Mr. Lilley returned to England, where on Christmas day he was
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
married to Miss Louise Ann Hay, after which he brought his bride to his new home.
He was at that time residing in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Some time later they came to
Colorado, where Mrs. Lilley remained until called to her final rest on the 7th of May,
1895. Mr. and Mrs. Lilley became the parents of ten children: William H., a resident
of Jefferson, Colorado; Anna, deceased; Maggie, the wife of Frank Soper; Fred; Lucy,
who has also passed away; Harry; Marcia L., the wife of Charles Watlington; Josepha,
the wife of J. Sherman Brown; Benjamin E.; and John G.
In 1898 Mr. Lilley was again married, his second union being with Miss Alice
James, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Leroy B. and Sarah (Tilton) James,
both of whom were natives of Missouri. The mother died in that state and the
father afterward came to Colorado, where he passed away in 1909. They had a family
of nine children, three of whom survive. To Mr. and Mrs. Lilley was born a daughter,
Alice, who is now the wife of Earl Radcliffe, of Littleton.
Mrs. Lilley is a highly educated woman who was graduated from the high school
at Louisiana, Missouri, and taught in that state for several years. She then came
to Colorado and was a teacher in Littleton, acting as assistant principal of the high
school of that place for a decade prior to her marriage. She afterward took up the
dairy business, in which she still continues and she is now conducting a most exten-
sive business, having a herd of one hundred and fifty cows. The product is sold at
wholesale in Denver, averaging two hundred gallons per day throughout the year.
She has all the latest dairy equipment, such as milking machine and everything found
in a first-class dairy establishment. Her ranch comprises one hundred and fifty acres
of fine bottom land, all of which is irrigated. There are two large silos upon the
place, eighteen by forty feet. She utilizes two big motor trucks to deliver milk in
Denver. Another attractive feature of the farm is a fine orchard containing various
kinds of fruit. She is extensively engaged in raising corn and alfalfa, and all of the
latest improved farm machinery to facilitate the work of plowing, planting and harvest-
ing is found upon her place. There are also large poultry buildings and she is making
a specialty of raising fine chickens. In addition to her ranch property she owns many
valuable building lots in the village of Littleton and a fine residence there. She is also
a stockholder in the Nevada Irrigation Company, which has one of the best water rights
in the state.
Mrs. Lilley's literary talent in her younger years was manifest in the writing of
several fine poems, but her extensive business affairs at present leave her little oppor-
tunity for activity of that kind. She is a member of the Presbyterian church and she
has exercised a widely felt and beneficial influence in the community along lines of
moral and cultural development. Her efforts during her labors in the educational
field, were not limited to the curriculum of the school room but were broad enough to
include the all important feature of character building and moral worth. She was
largely instrumental in securing the establishment of a public library in Littleton,
having been one of the original committee of three, chosen for that purpose. She also
sponsored, and brought about, the organization of a literary society among the pupils
of the high school, and was president of the Reading Club, an organization which was
the nucleus of the Woman's Club of today. In looking back over the past, with due
consideration, and giving credit for the part she has had in community building, it is
HISTORY OF COLORADO 53
difficult, if not wholly impossible, to accurately gauge the exact extent ot her influence
in moulding the minds and shaping the characters of the boys and girls who came
under her influence as pupils, and who have become the active men and women of
today, many of whom, freely acknowledge to her in person, their gratitude for her
interest in their welfare. A lady of splendid traits of heart and mind as well as of
marked business ability, she commands the highest respect of all and those who know
her are proud to call her friend.
Raymond Reeves, vice president of the W. E. Moses Land Scrip and Realty Com-
pany of Denver, was born at Brownwood, Texas, July 22, 1S85, and was therefore a
young man of twenty-four years when in 1909 he became a resident of Denver, where
he has now made his home for a decade. His parents, William Bush and Paulinei
(Murray) Reeves, are both natives of Tennessee. The father became one of the pio-
neer settlers of Texas, where he engaged in educational work. As a teacher he gained
a very wide reputation and became recognized as one of the most prominent repre-
sentatives of the school interests of the Lone Star state, being now retired. He
makes his home at Gorman, Texas, where he has now lived for many years, and there
he and his wife reared their family of three children: Charles E., now living in Des
Moines, Iowa; Mrs. J. C. McDearman, of Cookeville, Tennessee; and Raymond, of this
The last named, after attending the public schools of Brownwood, Texas, entered
the Haskins Normal College, from which he was graduated and then took up the
profession of teaching, which he followed for three terms, continuing in educational
work in Eastland county, Texas. Subsequently he entered Cumberland University
at Lebanon, Tennessee, for the study of law and won his LL. B. degree as a graduate
of the class of 1907. He was then admitted to the bar at Chattanooga, Tennessee,;
where he entered upon active practice, continuing successfully in his chosen calling
there until 1909, when he removed to Colorado, establishing his home in Denver.
Here he became connected with The W. E. Moses Land Scrip and Realty Company as
field attorney and gradually advanced through various departments until he was
elected vice president of the company, in wliich capacity he now serves. This company
is conducting an extensive real estate business, tlieir clientage steadily increasing and
their profits thereby accruing.
On the 22d of July. 1909, the twenty-fourth anniversary of his birth, Mr. Reeves
was united in marriage at Cisco, Texas, to Miss Ina Owen, a daughter of Dr. and
Mrs. Almus Owen, the former a very prominent member of the medical profession
in the Lone Star state. Mr. and Mrs. Reeves have a son, Malcolm Patterson, who
was born in Denver, April 24, 1910, and is now a pupil in the Park Hill school.
In his political views Mr. Reeves is a democrat, having always supported the party
yet never seeking or desiring office. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons,
being a Knight Templar and member of the Mystic Shrine, and also with the Knights
of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and is identified with the Denver Motor
Club and the Denver Civic and Commercial Association, while his religious faith is
indicated by his connection with the Park Hill Methodist Episcopal church.
GEORGE ELLIOTT COAK.
George Elliott Coak, identified with general farming interests in Jefferson county;
•was born in Buffalo, New York, February 20, 1855, and is a son of K. Jones and
Jemima (HoUenbeck) Coak. The father was a blacksmith by trade and thus pro-
vided for the support of the family. The mother was one of the nearest heirs to the
old Trinity Church estate in New York. The ancestral line dates back to pre-Revo-
lutionary days, the great-grandfather serving in the war for independence.
George E. Coak of this review was educated in the district school of Flint, Michi-
gan, and in a business college at Kalamazoo, that state. He then entered upon a mil-
itary career by enlisting in Company K of the Fourth United States Infantry and with
his regiment went to Fort Laramie, Wyoming, where he remained on active duty for
five years. Following his discharge he engaged in farming and stock raising in
Nebraska from 1883 until 1889 and also in the operation of a sawmill. He after-
54 HISTORY OF COLORADO
ward came to Colorado, settling near Broomfield, and is now the owner of ten acres of
land. He also leases and farms considerable other land and devotes his energies and
attention to the production of general crops. He is an active, diligent man and is
meeting with well merited success in his undertakings.
At Raw Hide Buttes, Wyoming, on the 20th of January, 1S82, Mr. Coak was united
in marriage to Miss Mary K. Weber, a daughter of John and Mary Weber. Mrs. Coak
was born in the state of Washington, which was then a territory, her birthplace being
near the mouth of the Columbia river. She was reared and educated in the north-
west. By her marriage she has become the mother of seven children: Amelia, who
is now the wife of W. D. Bradley and has two children, George and Herman; Mary,
the wife of H. A. Bancroft and the mother of one child; Sarah, deceased; George, who
married Josephine Bohm and has a daughter, Georgia B.; Helen, who was the only
woman acting as billing clerk with the Wells Fargo Express Company until the busi-
ness of that corporation was taken over by the government; and Albert and Thomas.
The son, George, is now a construction engineer on active duty in France.
Mr. Coak is a valued member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belong-
ing to United Lodge. No. 4, of Denver, in which he has passed through all the chairs.
His wife is also active in the Rebekahs, has filled all of the offices and has been a del-
egate to the Grand Lodge and also district president. Mr. Coak gives his political
allegiance to the republican party and is at all times loyal to any cause which he
espouses. His genuine worth has gained him high regard and he has many excellent
traits of character which have brought to him the friendship and goodwill of those
with whom he has come in contact.
WALTER EVANS WHITE.
The true measure of success is determined by what one has accomplished and, as
taken in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in
his own country, there is particular interest attaching to the career of Walter E. White,
since he is a native son of the city where he has passed his active lite and so directed
his ability and efforts as to gain recognition as one of its representative residents and
able lawyers. He is actively connected with a profession which has important bearing
upon the progress and stable prosperity of any section or community and one which
has long been considered as conserving public welfare by furthering the ends of justice
and maintaining individual rights. Mr. White was born in Denver, November 21, 1872.
His father, Jonathan E. White, a native of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, was born on
the 28th ot February. 1833, and was a little lad of but three years when the family
removed to Ohio, settling near Mansfield. There Jonathan E. White was reared and
educated and in March. 1859, he removed westward to Colorado, taking up his abode
in the frontier village ot Denver, where he spent his remaining days, living to see Denver
develop into a most progressive city of metropolitan proportions and opportunities. Here
he passed away December 17, 1904, at the age of seventy-one years. During the greater
part of his active life he was engaged in agricultural pursuits and was quite successful.
During the last decade of his earthly existence he lived retired, enjoying tlie fruits of
his former toil. He belonged to one of the old families of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent.
When he started westward it was with the intention of going to California, but he arrived
in Denver on the 31st of March, 1859. and then started for Pike's Peak, where he arrived
in May. For three or four months of his early Aay in Colorado he was at South Clear
Creek, where he worked a claim and then returned to Denver, settling on a ranch a
mile south of the city. He afterward purchased the land, upon which he lived from
1865 until 1889 and concentrated his entire time and energies upon the development,
cultivation and improvement of this place, which has since been divided into town lots
and is now the site of many attractive residences. In 1890 he took up his abode in the
city, where he resided until his death. The Pioneers' Society, of which he was the fourth
member to pass away, drew up resolutions expressing their grief over his demise and
bearing evidence of his honorable and upright life. He was familiar with all phases
of frontier life. On leaving Ohio, on his western trip, he stopped first in Cedar county,
Iowa, and in the tall went to Mills county, intending to start on his western trip from
that point. But just as he was ready to start with a party of friends, the governor of
Iowa issued a proclamation to the effect that unless the party numbered one hundred,
well armed and equipped, they could not cross the plains because the Sioux Indians were
on the warpath at that time. Accordingly Mr. White, not being able to carry out his
plan of reaching the Pacific coast, went to Calhoun, Nebraska, and from that place to
"WALTER E. WHITE
56 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Desoto, in the same state, where he remained for four years. In 1856 he took a con-
tract to build some farm houses and a blacksmith shop and to break two hundred acres
of land on the Omaha Indian reservation. Before the contract could be completed he
and the men were ordered into the service of the state by Governor Cummings on ac>
count of trouble with the Indians. He returned to Desoto in 1857 and engaged in the
mercantile business, there residing until 1859. In the meantime he was appointed a
deputy city marshal. He was afterward elected to the same oflice and after retiring from
that position he removed to Denver. Here again he became identified with pioneer life
and development and was among the early agriculturists of his section of the state.
His business affairs were always wisely and carefully conducted and by reason of his
close application and unfaltering energy he won a most gratifying measure of success.
His remains are interred in Fairmount cemetery of Denver. He married Alice Lutz,
who came to Colorado in 1870 and in the early days taught school. Here she met and
married Mr. White, whom she survives, still making her home in Denver. They became
the parents of two children, the daughter being Laura, now the widow of Charles
Walter E. White, the only son and the younger of the two children, was educated
In the public and high schools of Denver and also attended the University of Colorado,
from which he was graduated in 1897 with the LL. B. degree. His early life was spent
upon the home farm and he became familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil
and caring for the crops but determined to enter upon a professional career and after
his graduation took up the practice of law. becoming associated with the firm of Benedict
& Phelps. He continued in various law offices until 1905, when he entered upon active
practice independently and has since given his attention to general law work. He is
now accorded a liberal clientage and his ability has enabled. him to successfully solve
many involved and intricate legal problems.
On the 24th of October, 1900, in Denver, Mr. White was married to Miss Edna C.
Curtis, a native of this city and a daughter of Nathan S. and Anna J. Curtis, the former
now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. White have become the parents of a son, Curtis, who was
born in Denver, September 7, 1904.
In politics Mr. White maintains an independent course. He belongs to the Denver
Bar Association but has never been active in fraternal or club circles. He was captain
of the East Denver high school cadets during his school days and as a representative
of one of the pioneer families of the city he has witnessed much of the growth and
development of Denver, having spent his entire life here, covering a period of forty-
six years. His youthful days were passed in the old home which his father built in
1859 at the corner of West Twelfth and Bryant streets, in the South Fairview addition.
Great have been the changes which have occurred since that time and the transforma-
tion that has been wrought as the work of progress and improvement has been carried
steadily forward. Energy and enterprise have produced notable results and at all times
Mr. White has lent his aid and cooperation to plans and movements for the general
good. In addition to his law practice he is now serving as president of the Platte Valley
Canning Company, one of the successful industrial enterprises of Colorado. He is a pop-
ular member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.
Duncan Matheson was not alone the founder of the thriving town of Matheson,
Colorado, but ranked for over forty years as one of the leading sheep men of the
state. It was due largely to his initiative that Elbert county became one of the most
prominent sheep feeding sections of the west. He saw and utilized possibilities in this
direction and the results achieved were most gratifying.
Duncan Matheson was born in Gairloch, Ross-shire, Scotland, in November, 1849,
and came to America in 1871, settling first in Chicago, where he remained for three
years. When he left that city he made his way direct to Colorado, where he arrived
in May, 1874, and his experience in sheep raising was at once put to practical use on
the bottom lands of Elbert county. He entered the employ of Colonel Holt, of the
Holt Live Stock Company, and later he formed a partnership with John Cameron, an
association that was maintained for a few years. Seven years after Mr. Matheson
arrived in America, his brother Hector, now located at Hugo. Colorado, joined him and
they formed a partnership in the sheep industry. In 1876 Duncan Matheson located a
homestead that included the site of the present town of Matheson in the southern part
of Elbert county. With hard work and knowledge of the business he developed his
58 HISTORY OF COLORADO
flocks, which grew in number, and added to his land until the Matheson sheep range
was one of the largest In the county. After being joined by his brother. Hector
Matheson, they operated their joint holdings together until 1886. ■ Duncan Matheson
then became sole owner of what had been their united interests, while Hector Mathe-
son purchased a large ranch in Lincoln county in 1896, which he is still operating.
Duncan Matheson was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Morgan, a Scotch lassie
who had removed to Kansas with her parents in 1881. Six children were born of
this marriage, of whom Donald and Robert were drowned in the Big Sandy in 1899.
The others are: John; William; Norman, who is now in France, with the Ameri-
can troops; and Mrs. Henry Beuck, the young wife of one of the largest ranch owners
of Elbert county.
Duncan Matheson passed away, May 20, 1915, at St. Francis Hospital in Colorado
Springs. He was laid to rest by his fellow members of the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks in the cemetery at Colorado Springs. His worth was indeed widely acknow-
ledged. He possessed the sterling traits which have ever characterized the Scotch
people — industry, integrity and perseverance^and he left the impress of his individ-
uality and ability for good upon the history of the section in which he lived and
JOHN McEWEN FOSTER, M. D.
Dr. John McEwen Foster, engaged in the practice of medicine in Denver, was born
in Nashville. Tennessee, January 11, 1861, a son of Turner Saunders and Harriet
(Erwin) Foster, the latter a daughter of James and Margaret (Caldwell) Erwin. The
father. Turner S. Foster, was bom in the year 1820, devoted his life to the practice
of law and passed away in the year 1898.
Dr. Foster, who was the third in order of birth in his father's family of five chil-
dren, pursued his early education in the public schools of Nashville, Tennessee, and
afterwards became a student in the Montgomery Bell Academy of Nashville. He next
entered the University of the South at Sewanee. Tennessee, and having determined
upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he matriculated in the medical depart-
ment of the University of Tennessee, from which he was graduated in 1891. In Sep-
tember, 1889, he first visited Colorado, and after completing his medical course in
1891 took up his abode in Denver, where he has since made his home, devoting his
attention to the active practice of his profession, in which he has won substantial
success. After completing his course in the University of Tennessee he had gone to
New York, where for a time he was house physician in the City Hospital on Ward's
island, retaining that position for a year and a half, during which he gained the
broad and valuable training and knowledge that only hospital experience brings.
He afterward traveled throughout Europe, visiting the various medical centers of
learning of the old world and the noted hospitals on that side the Atlantic, particu-
larly in Berlin, Vienna, Paris and London. He pursued special courses on diseases of
the eye, ear, nose and throat and remained abroad for several years. He is today
regarded as an eminent authority upon ophthalmology, otology, rhinology and laryngol-
ogy in this section of the west. He is continually carrying his studies forward, thus
promoting his efficiency, and he has won more than local renown as professor and
lecturer at the University of Colorado and at the University of Denver, where he has
given special courses on diseases of the ear, nose and throat. He is now serving on
the staffs of St. Joseph's Hospital, St. Luke's Hospital and the Children's Hospital of
Denver and is likewise connected in a professional capacity with the Denver City
& County Hospital. He holds membership in the Denver City and County Medical
Society, the Colorado State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
He is likewise a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Otology and
Rhinology and the American College of Surgeons. He is ex-eye and ear surgeon for
the Colorado Midland and the Colorado Southern Railways, and is examiner for the
eye and ear on the board of examining surgeons for United States pensions in Denver.
On the 29th of December, 1885, at Memphis, Tennessee, Dr. Foster was united
in marriage to Miss Bessie Bethel, a daughter of Captain and Mrs. W. D. Bethel.
They have become the parents of three children. William B., born in Denver in 1890,
is now engaged in ranching in Weld county. Colorado. Pinckney Bethel, born in Den-
ver in 1894, is married and makes his home in Denver but is now connected with the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 59
quartermaster's department of the regular army. John McEwen, Jr., born in 1899, is
attending school at Salisbury, Connecticut.
Dr. Foster belongs to the Denver Club and to the Denver Country Club and is
appreciative of the social amenities of life although his profession makes heavy de-
mands upon his time and energies. He has won for himself most favorable crit-
icism as a lecturer and educator as well as a medical practitioner in the field in
which he specializes and his pronounced ability is attested by colleagues and contem-
HARVEY S. HAMILTON.
Cheyenne Wells perhaps never lost a more valuable and more valued citizen
than Harvey S. Hamilton, who was long identified with its banking and other busi-
ness interests and contributed in most substantial measure to the development and