and Fourteenth Engineers in 1917 ;and served with them in the recent war with
Germany, taking part in the Saint Mihiel drive and the Argonne Forest battle. The
daughter is Katherine, who was born at Fort Morgan, January 5. 1907, and was
graduated from the eighth grade in the Clayton school of Denver at eleven years
GEORGE E. HOSMER
5-34 HISTORY OF COLORADO
While living at Fort Morgan, Mr. Hosmer served as president of the Chamber of
Commerce. He is a member of the Denver Press Club. Fraternally he is connected
with the Elks lodge of Fort Morgan and is also a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and of the Modern Woodmen. His religious faith is evidenced in
his connection with the Trinity Methodist Episcopal church. Long residence in
the west has made him largely familiar with the history of upbuilding and progress
in this section of the country and through his association with journalistic interests,
as well as a public official, he has contributed in large measure to the general devel-
opment of Colorado. At a meeting of the National Editorial Association, in 1914.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
at Houston, Texas, Mr. Hosmer was made president of the association and presided
in 191'5 at the convention in Los Angeles, California. He is now acting as chair-
man of the legislative committee.
Mr. Hosmer has a wide acquaintance, and those who know him esteem him as
a man of superior ability, intellectual force and enterprise. He is now making an
excellent public officer as collector of United States Customs for Colorado.
K. D. SWINNEY.
K. D. Swinney, who is engaged In ranching and cattle raising in Douglas county,
was born at Independence, Kansas, in 1857, a son of David and Elizabeth (Cummings)
Swinney, both of whom were natives of Virginia. The mother became a resident of
Colorado in 1868, traveling by stage across the country from Omaha, Nebraska. The
father had previously passed away while the family were residing in Kansas. Later
Mrs. Swinney became the wife of Peter Brannon, of Denver, the marriage being cele-
brated soon after her arrival in Colorado. The family removed to Douglas county,
where Mr. Brannon homesteaded and became a prominent rancher.
K. D. Swinney continued to assist his stepfather in the further development and
improvement of the homestead farm until he reached the age of eighteen years, when
he went to St. Joseph. Missouri, where he married Clara Florin. He continued to
make his home in St. Joseph for eight years and was employed by R. T. Davis, who
operated the City Mills at that place. Subsequently he returned to Colorado and took
up his abode in Douglas county, where he has since engaged in ranching and cattle
raising. He now resides at Larkspur and is employed at the creamery of Carlson &
To Mr. and Mrs. Swinney were born four children: Samuel, William, Lucy and
Mamie. In 1904 Mr. Swinney was married a second time. Louisa Metz of Wisconsin
becoming his wife. They are well known in Larkspur and throughout the surrounding
In politics Mr. Swinney is a republican and while residing at Castle Rock served
for one year as city marshal. He has worked diligently throughout his entire life and
from early boyhood he has spent much of his time in Colorado, having been a witness
of the growth and development of this state for more than a half century.
JAMES S. BOWLBY.
James S. Bowlby, a veteran of the Civil war, a Colorado pioneer and for twelve years
a prominent business man of Caiion City and also for a long period an active official
in connection with the mail service of the country, was born October 20, 1836, in what
was then Richland but is now Ashland county, Ohio, a son of Samuel C. and Elizabeth
(Baer) Bowlby, the latter of Holland descent, while the former traced his ancestry back
to Thomas Bowlby. who settled in New Jersey in 1690.
James S. Bowlby was educated in the schools of Ohio and came to Colorado in 1878,
when forty-two years of age. He had previously engaged in teaching in his native state
for several years but at the time of the Civil war put aside all professional and personal
considerations and responded to the country's call for troops, serving in the regiment
commanded by Colonel James A. Garfield, afterward general, later congressman and
subsequently the president of the United States. James S. Bowlby participated in the
siege of Vicksburg and in other hotly contested engagements which led up to the final
victory that crowned the Union arms.
On removing to Caiion City in 1878, Mr. Bowlby secured a position as clerk in the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 555
postoffice under Captain Rockafellow and later was connected with tlie railway mail
service. He afterward served as postmaster of Canon City for four years and at a
later period was actively 'identined with commercial interests, for through a period of
twelve years he was associated with his son-in-law, F. P. Smith, in building up one of
the largest mercantile establishments in the county.
In 1865 Mr. Bowlby was married to Miss Phoebe A. Franks, of Wayne county, Ohio,
and they became the parents of four daughters and two sons: Fannie, now the wife of
C. A. Biggs, of Caiion City; Bessie, the wife of F. P. Smith, of Canon City; Mattie, the
wife of L. M. Wingert, of Seattle; Abbie, the wife of W. E. Galley; of Canon City; Harry
M., who is in the ordnance corps of the United States Army at Baltimore, Maryland;
and Samuel H., living at Miami, Arizona. There are also ten grandchildren and three
Mr. and Mrs. Bowlby celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1915 and on
the 22d of July, 1917, Mrs. Bowlby passed away. Mr. Bowlby still makes his home in
Canon City at the age of eighty-two years. He has ever been deeply interested in the
Grand Army of the Republic and was commander of the post of Fremont county, while
for ten years he has been its adjutant. He was also senior vice commander of the
Department of Colorado and Wyoming and through these associations has always kept
in close touch with his old army comrades, "the boys in blue," who served from 1861
until 1865 to preserve the Union that has come so prominently to the front as one of
the greatest world powers.
A splendidly improved farm property is that owned and operated by Alfonso
Schofield, whose holdings comprise three hundred and forty acres of valuable land in
Boulder county and one hundred and sixty acres in Weld county. He has long given
his attention to farming and stock raising in Boulder county and his position among
the substantial and leading citizens is a creditable one. Mr. Schofield is a native of
Nova Scotia. He was born on the 1st of April, 1862, a son of William H. and Mary E.
(Downing) Schofield. who were natives of Nova Scotia, of English descent, in which
country they were reared and married. Crossing the Atlantic, their parents settled in
Nova Scotia. William H. and Mary E. Schofield removed to Boston, Massachusetts, in
1867 and in 1879 with their family took up their abode in Kansas, where they remained
until 1891, when they came to Colorado, remaining residents of this state until
called to their final rest.
Alfonso Schofield is one of a family of twelve children, two of whom died when
quite young, while the rest grew to maturity and eight still survive. His mother was
one of a family of sixteen children and the mother of these sixteen children lived to
the age of ninety-six years, to see all of her children grow up and get married.
Alfonso Schofield was but five years old when his parents removed to Boston, Massa-
chusetts, and there he attended the public schools. He was twenty years of age when
in 1S82 he' came to Colorado, settling first in Boulder county, where he secured employ-
ment at farm labor. Ambitious to engage in agricultural pursuits on his own account,
he began cultivating a rented farm in 1889 and lived thereon for three years. He
then located on his present property and is now the owner of three hundred and forty
acres of valuable land in Boulder county, all under the ditch, and one hundred and sixty
acres in Weld county. He has carefully, systematically and profitably developed and
cultivated his fields and in addition to raising the crops best adapted to soil and climatic
conditions here he has also engaged successfully in dairying and stock raising. He
has erected all the farm buildings upon his place and everything about his farm is in-
dicative of his progressive spirit and undaunted enterprise. As the years have passed
he has prospered and in addition to carrying on his agricultural interests he has
entered the field of banking and for three years has been the president of the First
National Bank of Lafayette.
On the 21st of February, 1892, Mr. Schofield was married to Miss Mary M. Prince,
a native of Denver and a daughter of Hiram and Mary Prince, who are mentioned on
other pages of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Schofield have become parents of four children:
Mary E., now the wife of Theodore W. Bishop, who resides near Goodview, Boulder
county; Archibald J., who is with the United States army in France, a corporal in the
Second Veterinary Hospital Division, Third Army; George F., who is married and
follows farming on the home place; and Walter H., who is at North Island, San Diego,
California, in the naval air station, and 'is second quartermaster.
556 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Mr. Schofield and his family attend the Congregational church, and he is also
affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and with the Woodmen of the World.
His political endorsement is given to the republican party. While he has never
sought political office, he has served for five years on the scliool board and is a stanch
advocate of any plan or measure for the improvement of the schools, in fact he gives
hearty aid and cooperation to all measures for the general good and may well be classed
among the public-spirited citizens of Boulder county. Mr. Schofield is a self-made man.
as he had no money when he began his career in Colorado, and his commendable suc-
cess is therefore a great credit to him. entirely attributable to his energy, industry,
foresight and fairness in all of his dealings. His life has been at all times open and
above board and his record is that of successful achievement as a result of earnest
PETER N. SMITH.
Peter N. Smith is concentrating his efforts and attention upon the development and
cultivation of one hundred and seventy acres of land near Globeville. He was born
in Denmark on the 24th of May, 1864, and is a son of Nels and Mary Smith, the former
a mechanic. Peter N. Smith was educated in his native country, where he spent the
first twenty-four years of his life and then bade adieu to friends and native land and
sailed for the new world. Reaching American shores, he made his way to Iowa and
for three or four years was there engaged in farming in Audubon county. He after-
ward removed to Illinois, where he remained for two years, and then again went to
Iowa, where he continued for two or three years. In 1896 he arrived in Colorado, set-
tling at Cripple Creek, where he resided for six or seven months. Later he worked
in a smelter at Denver for eight years, and on the expiration of that period purchased
ten acres of land in Adams county, which he still farms. In addition he cultivates a
tract of one hundred and sixty acres of leased land, devoted to the raising of wheat and
hay, and his close application and unwearied industry are strong elements in his grow-
On the 8th of May, 1886, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Mary S. Jensen and their
children are: Nels, who is upon the ranch: Lawrence, who is a member of the United
States army: Michael, who is connected with the navy; John: Anna, who is the wife of
Ralph Westerkamp; Inga, now Mrs. Frank Peterson; and Emma.
The religious faith of the parents is that of the Lutheran church and fraternally
Mr. Smith is identified with the Woodmen of the World, having been a member of the
order for twenty years. Coming to America when a young man of twenty-four years,
he here found his opportunities and in their utilization has steadily advanced along the
road to success. His enterprise and energy have been pronounced and whatever he has
attempted he has accomplished.
EDWARD L. GORMLEY.
Forty-four years ago Edward L. Gormley took up a homestead claim of one hun-
dred and sixty acres on section 14, township 2, range 68 west, in Adams county, and
here he has successfully carried on general agricultural pursuits continuously since,
still owning eighty acres of the original tract. His birth occurred in Windsor, Nova
Scotia, on the 21st of July. 1S57, his parents being John and Eunice A. (Pelton) Gorm-
ley, who there spent their entire lives. They had a family of ten children, five of
Edward L. Gormley acquired his education in the , schools of Nova Scotia and
there remained to the age of seventeen. The year 1874 witnessed his arrival in Colo-
rado and, making his way to Adams county, he took up the homestead claim preWously
mentioned and it is a most valuable and productive tract of land, being under the
ditch. As the years have passed he has energetically carried on the work of the
fields and by practical and progressive methods has won a measure of success that
has gained him recognition among the prosperous and representative agriculturists
of the community.
In 1884 Mr. Gormley was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Chamley, a native
of England and a daughter of Christopher Chamley, who is deceased. Mr. and Mrs.
EDWARD L. GORMLEY
558 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Gormley became the parents of two sons, Edward A. and Frank W., but the latter has
passed away. The wife and mother was called to her final rest in 1913, her remains
being interred in the Riverside cemetery.
In his political views Mr. Gormley is a stalwart republican, exercising his right
of franchise in support of the men and measures of that party. He belongs to the
local organization of the Grange and is a public-spirited citizen whose aid and Influence
are ever given on the side of progress, reform and improvement. The period of his
residence in Adams county covers more than four decades and he has therefore been
a witness of its growth and development from pioneer times to the present, his efforts
contributing to advancement along agricultural lines in the section. He has worked
persistently and earnestly as the years have passed by and the prosperity which he
now enjoys is attributable entirely to his own labors.
GEORGE P. SMITH.
On the 26th of March, 191S. George P. Smith celebrated the ninetieth anniversary
of his birth. He is widely known as an honored pioneer settler of Colorado and an
esteemed resident of Caiion City. At this writing, in the closing days of 1918, he is still
active, his memory is clear as a bell and his pleasures in life as keen as in the days
of his younger manhood.
Mr. Smith was born in England in 1S28. In his early youth the spirit of adventure
came upon him and on a sailing vessel he came to the new world. The tide of emigra-
tion in those early '50s flowed toward Ohio and thither the young Englishman made his
way. settling in Medina, that state. There on the 22d of March, 1854, he was married
to Miss Elizabeth Pillmore and they remained in the middle west until the fall of
1869, when they decided to try the mild winters of Colorado. They hart removed from
Ohio to Michigan and on selling their farm in that state they at once started for Canon
City. Here they found themselves in a virgin region that gave plentifully in return
for toil but also called for much endurance of hardships and privations, such as are
always to be met with amid pioneer conditions. When they had their home in South
Canon the Indians, friendly enough, often camped in the grove near-by. Mr. Smith was
at that time engaged in the cattle business, an industry in which hisjson, William H.,
with whom he makes his home, has become prominent.
On the 23d of March. 1904, Mr. and Mrs. Smith celebrated their golden wedding, an
occasion on which a great host of friends paid their tribute of respect and honor to
this worthy couple. Mrs. Smith passed away in February, 1909. Her life had ever been
a sweet and gentle influence and is reflected in the respect and esteem in which she was
held. She was ever devoted to her home, finding her greatest happiness in ministering
to the welfare and comfort of her husband and children and in enjoying their com-
panionship. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith were born the following named: Mrs. A. J. Wilkin,
of Los Angeles, California; Mrs. George A. Baker, living at Canon City; Mrs. L. S.
Bailey, also of Canon City; William H., prominent as a cattle man of Fremont county;
and George, who died in 1880.
Mr. Smith was one of that group of pioneers who planned and promoted the original
South Canon ditch, the first irrigation ditch ever built in Fremont county. He ever
stood for progress and improvement along all those lines which made for general de-
velopment and advancement in the county and he still gives out of his rich stores of
wisdom and experience for the benefit and guidance of others. To him the words of
Victor Hugo might well apply:
"Though the snows of winter are on his head,
The flowers of spring are in his heart."
JOSEPH E. WHYTAL.
Joseph E. Whytal, engaged in general farming in Adams county, was born in
Kansas on the 1st of November, 1860, a son of Joseph and Helen (Miller) Whytal.
The father was a native of Nova Scotia, while the mother was born in Illinois. In
1858 they became residents of Kansas, settling on a farm in that state, where for
many years the father devoted his attention to the cultivation of the soil. Both he
and his wife died in that state.
560 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Joseph E. Whytal, their only child, was reared and educated in Kansas, pur-
suing his studies in the common schools. Through the periods of vacation he assisted
his father in farm work and remained at home until he attained his majority, when
he started out in life independently. He removed to western Kansas, where he took
up a homestead claim and at once began its development and cultivation. He lived
thereon until 1892. when he removed to Colorado, settling in Adams county. Still
later, he spent a number of years on the Pacific coast where he engaged in farming
and fruit raising, in California and also in Washington. In 1899, he returned to
Colorado and again secured farm land and through the intervening period, covering
about twenty years, has given his attention to general agricultural pursuits. His
farm is carefully cultivated and produces rich crops annually, owing to his prac-
tical and progressive methods. The place is neat and thrifty in appearance and
upon it are found excellent improvements. In addition to his farming interests Mr.
Whytal is connected with banking as one of the directors of the Eastlake State Bank.
His property comprises one hundred and fifty-two acres of land.
On January 1. 1901, Mr. Whytal was married to Miss Nellie McCrea and to them
have been born three children: Edwin, Elsie and Otis. Mrs. Whytal belongs to
the Methodist Episcopal church and takes an active part in charitable, and church
work. She is a native of Iowa, and a daughter of William O. and Rachel (Starry)
McCrea, who removed to Nebraska in 1880, and were numbered among the pioneers
of that state. They took up a homestead in Furnas county, where they spent the
remainder of their lives. Mr. Whytal has membership with the Knights of The Mac-
cabees and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has never
been an office seeker or filled political positions but has served as school director
and is interested in the welfare and progress of the community to the extent of giving
hearty cooperation to all plans and movements for the general good. He is recog-
nized as one of the progressive, successful citizens of Adams county.
LEONARD HOWARD HARVEY.
With the election of Leonard Howard Harvey, now in his twenty-third year, to the
position of county assessor, the third generation of Harveys assumes its prominence in
the affairs and in the development of Fremont county. The first of the Harveys in
Colorado was Gilbert B. Harvey, grandfather of Leonard Howard Harvey. A veteran
of the Mexican war. he served with General Winfield Scott in the brilliant campaign
which ended with the capture of the city of Mexico. Having spent his early life in
Virginia, he removed from that state to Ripley, Missouri, and in 1S63 came to Colorado
largely for the purpose of hunting big game and incidentally to prospect for gold. In
1864 he returned to Missouri, but the lure of the far west was strong and he decided
to remove his family to Colorado. At that time, however, there were two great perils.
The first was due to the breaking up of guerrilla bands in western Missouri and the
second was the Indian menace. Massacres were of daily occurrence. But in 1871 the
Harvey family finally located in Canon City.
James Gilbert Harvey, father of Leonard Howard Harvey, became in these years one
of the noted freighters of this region. He was among the first to go to Rosita, one of
the 'noted new mining camps of the period, but in 1S79 his work was largely in the
region between Leadville and Canon City. He tells of the road lined with wagons
carrying supplies and returning with ore. For a time he drove a hearse in Leadville.
for there was hardly a day or night in which the wild orgies failed to end in a murder.
He freighted later in the San Juan and in the Gunnison in the heyday of those camps
and finally turned his attention to ranching and dairying on Current creek and became
one of the prominent stockmen of the country. In 1895 he established his home in
South Canon, where his widow and sons now live. His death occurred November 28,
1915, and his passing was mourned by the entire community. He had been a most
prominent figure in the development and progress of the district, contributing in marked
measure to its upbuilding, and there was no phase of pioneer life with which he was not
James Gilbert Harvey was united in marriage to Lucinda Nye. who was born in Can-
ton, Ohio, where she attended school with Miss Ida Saxton. who later became the first
lady of the land— Mrs. William McKinley. Mrs. Harvey still survives— a sweet, gentle
soul whose fine character is mirrored in her children. These are: Frank Harvey, who
was educated in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and who now conducts the
large ranch; Mary E., now Mrs. J. F. Murray, who lives at Parkdale, Colorado; Leonard
HISTORY OF COLORADO 561
Howard Harvey, whose name introduces this review; and James Harvey, the youngest
Leonard Howard Harvey, who was educated in the public and high schools and in
the business college of Canon City, although but twenty-three years of age, was in 1918
nominated for the office of county assessor. The county is strongly republican, and Mr.
Harvey and Blake Rogers, candidate tor county treasurer, were the only democrats
elected. This is one of the highest tributes that could have been paid this native son
of Fremont county, who took his office on the 14th of January, 1919. There is no fear
felt concerning his conduct of the office, for it is well known that he is loyal to every
trust reposed in him and that he holds to high standards of citizenship.
JAMES E. KIRK.
James B. Kirk, a pioneer settler of El Paso county now living retired, has reached
the notable old age of eighty-seven years, his birth having occurred in Springfield,
Vermont, on the 12th of April. 1831. He is a son of John and Elizabeth (Whitcomb)
Kirk, whose family numbered two children, the brother, George Kirk, having been killed
in the first battle of Bull Run during the Civil war.
James E. Kirk was the elder child and in his boyhood days he attended the village
school of Springfield, Vermont. At the age of nineteen years he left the parental roof
and went to Cass county, Michigan, where he had charge of a large farm until the
outbreak of the war between the north and the south in 1861. Prompted by a spirit
of patriotic devotion to his country, he enlisted as a member of Company D, Thirteenth
Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and continued in active service until mustered out at Fort
Leavenworth, Kansas, while in the hospital there. He had fought valiantly in many
minor engagements and was in the battle^ of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, which developed
into a major engagement. Prior to entering the service he had learned the machinist's